Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 18 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 18 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and operated in 1889 by the Union Commercial Company, an organization
of Swedes from the Swedish settlement, who sold the business in 1893 to
L'evan Brothers, of Leavenworth, who after four years sold the business to
W. T. Buck. Mr. Buck owns and operates another elevator in Vliets known
as the Buck elevator. This elevator was built and operated by McEuon &
Root for twelve years, when it was sold to the Baker, Crowell Grain Com-
pany, of Atchison, and by that company was sold to H. A. Schoenecker,
who sold it to W. T. Buck in 19 10. The annual shipments average one hun-
dred fifty thousand bushels of grain.

SCHOOL.

The school was organized and built in 1899 through the efl'orts of Major
Beatty, T. A. Buck and others at a cost of two thousand six hundred dollars.
The first principal was C. M. Belknap. The building contains two rooms,
in which four grades are taught and one year high school. The present
principal is Ross Griffiths; assistant, ^^laude Arnold. Professor Griffiths
has taught the school for four vears.

The postmistress is Mrs. Anna M. Brophy. wife of Ed Brophy, the
assistant. Mrs. Brophy has served since 1914.

The local telephone system is owned by the State Bank of Vliets and
is managed by Mrs. A. G. ]\Iiller, who has been a resident of Vliets for
twenty-five years.



1()6 MARSHALL CULXTY, KANSAS.

The large general niercliandisc store of j. M. Owen, opened for busi-
ness June. 1914. Mr. Owen has lived near there for thirty-live years. He
was formerly engaged in farming.

The Farmers I'nion Co-operati\T Business Association was organized
in April. igi5. and opened business on September 15, 1915, with a capital
stock of ten thousand dollars, and a paid-uj) capital of three thousand eight
hundred twenty dollars. A plant was built at a cost of five thousand dollars ;
which included an elevator, coal house, corn crib, office and full equipment
of machinery with \\hich to operate. H. B. Johnson, the manager, is a son
of J. B. Johnson, who came to Kansas in 1870. and in 1880 settled on a
farm in the Swedish settlement section of Murray township, now Lincoln
tcnvnship. M. F. Bullock is the assistant manager.

The membership is one hundred eighteen with the following officers :
J. A. Johnson, president; H. A. Haskins. secretary and treasurer; directors,
S. R. Wallace, William Johnson, Alva Reust, C. H. Stoll. W. R. Glasgow.
The company handles grain, flour, cream, eggs, poultry and salt.

Dating from September 15. 1915. to September 15, 1916. the business
done was one hundred thirty thousand dollars; from September 15, 1916.
to January i, 1917, the business was fifty-seven thousand dollars. The first
year the shipment of grain was one hundred twenty thousand. bushels. From
April, 19 16. to January, 191 7, sixteen thousand pounds of butter- fat, two
thousand three hundred seventy dollars worth of eggs, and three thousand
two hundred dollars worth of poultry, were shipped.

The first store opened in Vleits is owned and managed bv William
Herda. who has been a resident of ]\Iarshall county for thirtv years and
formerly engaged in farming. The stock is general merchandise.

The Pelican restaurant is owned and managed by F. L. Rochefort, since
October 9. 1914. ^Ir. Rochefort is a registered optician. A barber shop is
conducted in the same building.



WATERVILLE.

Waterville. in the township of the same name, is located in the south-
western part of Marshall county, on the Missouri Pacific railway, one hun-
dred miles west of Atchison and fifteen miles southwest of Marysville. The
city is built on a low plateau, sloping gently northward to the Little Blue
river.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. I97

The original charter for th.e raih'oad, west from Atchison, was ob-
tained under the name of the Atchison & Pikes Peak Railroad, which
name was changed by an act of the Legislature in 1867. to the Central
Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad. In the spring of 1867 the company
commenced building the road with O. B. Gunn as civil engineer.

Judge Lewis, the father of Mrs. E. A. Berry of Waterville, expecting
that the railroad would follow the Little Blue river to Ft. Kearney, the
then (jljjective point of the Central Branch laid out a town on the Little
Blue river, one and one-half miles east of what is now Waterville, on his
own land, and named the town "Marble Falls." Judge William Thompson
and R. S. Xewell each put up store buildings there, and when the railroad
failed to touch ^Marble Falls, 'Slv. Xewell moved his cottonwood grocer)
store to \\'aterville. where it now stands serving as the central office for the
telephone company.

WATERVILLE PLATTED.

The plan of the railroad company was to locate a town just one hun-
dred miles west of Atchison, and after reach.ing Irving, Engineer Gunn ran
his survey directly west from Irving up Game Fork creek to a point on
sections 18 and ig in Cottage Hill township, where he located a town and
named it Merrimac. While this deceptive survey was being made, G. H.
Hollenberg, of Hanover, Kansas, purchased of Mrs. Hennea King the land
on which the city of \\'aterville is located. The purchase was made on
August 29, 1867. This accomplished, 'Sir. Gunn started from tr\ing and
located the railroad to this point and laid out and platted the town of
Waterville in February, 1868.

3.[r. R. Osborne, superintendent of the railroad, named this tow^n Wat-
er\ille after his home town in ]\Iaine. Air. Osborne had pre\-ious]}- pur-
chased the land from G. H. Hollenberg and recorded the deed on March
4. 1868. The town was incorporated as a villag;e on July 30. 1870, with
August Frahm as its first president. Later, it became a city of the third
class, which it is at the present date.

The only settlers of the year 1868 now living in \\'aterville, are Mrs.
Auo'ust Frahm and Hon. Edward A. Berrv. Mr. Berrv, after working on
a farm for three vears returned to !Maine, his old home state, took a course
of law, returned to Waterville, where he has been in the practice of law ever
since.



IQS MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

FIRST SETTLERS.

The first settlers on llie Little IMue river and on Coon creek', near
where W'aterville is loeated. were: Stearnes Ostrander, early in the si)ring-
of 1857. He was followed during- the same year by Ival])h Ostrander. 11.
Brown. R. Drown. T. Palmer and P. Dollar, in the spring of 1858 the
little eolony was strengthened by the arrival of Airs. A. Davis, IP Dramer.
W. Dickinson. John Hughes. William Hawkinsmith, William Pearson and
AP T. Burnett. They settled on Coon creek. During the same year Ste-
phen Aloore settled on the Little Blue river.

In the year 1859. J. L. McChesney. P. Cassey and others arrixed and
took up claims. In 1859 William Pearson built a combination saw and
grist-mill on the Little Dlue river, at a place called Cedar Falls, which is
about two miles above ^^'aterville. northwest.

The first tragedy wdiich visited the little colony was the death of Ste-
phen Moore. A number of men had been at Marysville, the day being
bitterly cold, by night turning into a blizzard. On their return the party
became separated and Moore did not reach home. The next morning a
search was made and he was found sitting upright against a tree near the
mouth of Fawn creek, frozen to death.

FIRST HOTEL.

Mr. and Mrs. August Frahm arrived at Waterville at the completion of
the railroad and erected the first building in town, a stone hotel, called the
"Bay State House," in the early spring of 1868. Mr. Frahm shipped the
first carload of lumber to \\^ater^•ille and the freight on it was eighty-five
dollars.

Henry Agle built the "Eagle Hotel" in the fall of 1868. Other build-
ines erected in, or moved to. the town in 1868 were: A frame store build-
ing. erected by R. vS. AlcCubbin. of Atchison. Kansas; R. S. Newell moved
his store from Marble Falls and Joseph Samuels moved a store building
from A[arvs\-ille. j. C. Peters built a store and dwelling combined. George
Hutt erected a small building, now^ standing on the corner by the town
pump. Mr. Vowers. a homesteader, two miles west, supplied the people of
Waterville with good water from his spring on Coon creek at five cents a
pail, until the town well was bored in 1870. Mike Niggley built a one-story



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. I99

saloon, eighteen by twenty feet, in which he started operations with one keg
of beer and one gallon of whiskey. Roy Sholes opened a hardware store
and tinner's shop, where Ed Adam's barber shop now stands. He sold out
in 1869 to J. Miord, who enlarged the building and stock.

In 1869 J. D. Flannery built and operated a general merchandise store.
Heineke & Cowgill built a furniture store. Frank Glasser erected general
merchandise store, building it himself. John Mullender and J. C. Dickey
each built and operated a blacksmith shop. W. C. Johnson and William
Haskel opened a lumber office. A. M. Pickett built a photograph gallery
and A. Simie, a drug store: J. D. Farwell and J. Miexell, each, a hardware
store; W. W. Smith and W. P. Mudgett, a law office; A. D. Willson and
Mr. McKinnon, a real-estate office; John Wilson, a livery.

The first birth, October 6, 1869, was that of a son born to Mr. and
Mrs. J. C. Peters.

In 1868 John Dunljar and a Miss Hurd w-ere married by C. F. Thorn-
dyke, justice of the peace.

Those who came in 1869 and still reside in Waterville are: J. D.
Farwell and wife; Horace Jones and wife; J. B. Livers and wafe; Mrs. J.
C. Dickey, Major Scott and J. D. Flannery.

A LOVE TRAGEDY.

The second tragic death in the community was that of a German, who
homesteaded an eighty-acre tract, one mile south of town. He bought tools
to work it and in the latter part of March, 1869, he got a letter from Ger-
many from his fiancee, who refused to come to America. He took his
scythe out to his homestead, mowed and bound several bundles of tall grass,
made a bed, laid some bundles lengthwise at his side, then co\ered himself
with the hav and shot himself in tlie head. When found, the pistol still in
his hand and the letter in his pocket, was all that was known of hiuL Wat-
erville not having any cemetery, this German was brought to town and
buried on the prairie, until an association was formed and incorporated in
March 1870, v.hen the association purchased a forty-acre tract one and
one-half miles north of town, and the German's body was removed to the
cemetery.

The first natural death in the town was that of Mrs. James Hurd, in
August, 1869.



200 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.



DISTRIBUTION OF WHEAT SEED.

In 1869, \Vaterville, being iIk^ most western railroad station in north-
ern Kansas, became the distributing point for government aid. which con-
sisted of wheat and corn for seed. Clothing and food-stuffs were furnished
by private contributions. Settlers came from as far west as Norton and
Rooks counties to receive this aid. The railroads hauled this free of charge.
A day was set for the distriljution and the people arrived on time. Some
boxes and parcels were addressed to private parties directly, and these were
delivered to them. Others came, received their allotment of wheat and
corn, given expressly for seeding purposes, took it to the Cedar Falls mills
and had it ground. Some traded their seed for whiskey, so that some re-
turned with a A\agon full of wheat, and others were ''full," l)ut their wagons
were empty. The allotment to each homesteader was ten bushels of wheat
and two bushels of corn. Marshall county received none of this aid, being
able to take care of herself.

Waterville being the terminal of the Central Branch railroad from
1868 to 1876, was the most important railroad point in northern Kansas.
All immigrants and freight destined for western counties left the cars at
Waterville and were transported by wagons and otherwise, to points of
destination.

INCORPORATED.

\Vaterville was incorporated as a village in 1870. The first president
of the village board was August Frahm. In April, 1871, Waterville became
a city of the third class.

The following is the official roster of the city: Mayor, 1871 to 1875,
James P. Burtis; 1876, F. ?^Iills; 1877, S. S. Altschul; 1878, N. B. Thomp-
son; 1879, J- P- Bi-"'tis; 1879-1882, J. W. Sharrard.

The present city officers of Waterville are as follow : J. H. Nelson,
mayor; H. C. Strohm. clerk; L. A. Palmer, treasurer; Clay Whiteside, Frank
Fitzgerald. Will Flook, George K. Hall, Philip Thomas, councilmen ; H. C.
Strohm, police judge; I. A. Larson, policeman.

POSTOFFICE.

The Waterville postoffice was established in 1868, with George Flutt as
postmaster, making four in the county. In 1869 H. C. Phillips was ap-
pointed and there were several up to 1880, when J. C. Dickey received the




HIGH SCHOOL, SU.MMERFIELD.



*



•1^:%




HIGH SCHOOL, WATERVILLE.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 20I

appointment and sei-\-ed until 1884., when George Titcomb was appointed
and served until 1888; M. Delaney, 1888 until 1893; J- D. Flannery, 1893
to 1897. Then M. Delaney was re-appointed and served from 1897 to 1913,
giving entire satisfaction. In all he served the people twenty years. In
191 3 C. C. Holbrook Avas appointed and is making a good postmaster. In
1878 it became a presidential office.

In 1868 the Bay State Hotel, built by August Frahm, was leased to
W. W. Smith and later to F. G. Adams, for one year. This hotel was soon
purchased by Mills & Hinman and named the Lick House. Mrs. Brown
ha\-ing purchased the Hinman interest, the ownership became Mills & Brown
for two years, when ]\lills bought nut ^Irs. Brown and ran the house until
1878 when at Mrs. Mills" death it was leased to W. H. Truesdale, who
managed it until 1880, when W. W. Smith again leased it. The Bay State
or Lick House stood idle for a number of years, when the city of Water-
ville bought it and erected a fine city hall, fifty by one hundred feet, on the
ground, with a bancpiet room, council room, police-judge, office, and a theater
accommodation.

^FAXUFACTURES.

In 1873 p. ]\I. Howard built the Riverside mills located on the Little
Blue river, one half mile from town. It was a stone building, four stories,
with five run of burrs. Aloore & Greenman purchased an interest, and in
1875 Howard sold his interest to E. F. Durant. In 1876 the mill owners
becoming financially embarrassed, the mill was shut down. In 1880 Mr.
Moore again bought it and ran it about two years, when it burned down.
Moore moved on a farm and was killed while blasting rock in a well he
was digging.

EVERGREEN CEMETERY.

The Evergreen Cemetery Association of Waterville was incorporated
in 3klarch, 1870. and purchased forty acres of land, one and one-half miles
north of the city, from A\\ C. ]^IcCurdy, for four hundred dollars. The
officers of the temporary organization were: President, W. C. McCurdy;
secretary, AI. McKinnon ; treasurer. \V. L. Johnson; trustees, J. D. Far-
well, G. W. Hutt. W. L. Johnson, David Ward and O. D. Wilson. A
charter was obtained in 1870 and a permanent organization formed on June
25. 1870. The first officers were: President, G. W. Hutt; secretary, A. J.
wSimis ; treasurer. G. D. Bowlney. The northeast ten acres of the forty was
laid out into lots. In 1894 the thirty acres was sold to M. E. Moore and
in 191 1 the remaining unsold lots were sold to W. E. Fitzgerald.



202 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

RIVERSIDE CEMETERY.

In April. 1884, the ]\iver<ide Cemetery Association was organized and
purchased of George Bancroft the land south of the Little Blue river, close
to the citw the present site of our cemetery, with five hundred dollars cap-
ital stock. The first officers were : President, W. W. Smith ; secretary,
Dr. D. W. Humfreville: vice-president, J. C. Dickey; treasurer, James A.
Thompson. The present officers are : President, J. R. Edwards ; vice-
president. Dr. Harry Humfreville; secretary, H. E. Wilson; treasurer, M.
Delaney ; executive committee, F. P. Thorne, H. Jones, Ed Copeland.

This association has adopted a plan to obtain an endowment fund,
which will enable e\-ery lot owner by depositing witli the secretary a sum
not less than twenty-five dollars to recei\'e a certificate guaranteeing that the
deposit will be kept permanently at interest, and the interest only shall be
used for the upkeep of the depositor's lot. The association now has one
thousand dollars in the endowment fund.

BAND.

Waterville cornet band was organized in 1872 by Prof. John D. W^alters,
with eleven members. It was disbanded in 1876, and re-organized in 1879 by
C. F. Stanley, who was succeeded as leader in 1882, by J. F. Kohler. This
once leading band in the county is now disbanded.

BUSINESS INTERESTS.

Blacksmith shops — John Rozine and Kiefer Brothers.
Telephone system — A. F. Geyer.
Drug store — Rummel Drug Company.
Moving picture show — I. L. Miller.
Shoe repairing — George Pendleton and Charles Ross.
Hotel — L. E. Weaver.

Waterville Library — Owned by Shakespearian Club.
Livery and auto — John Moody. •

Warehouse and elevator — H. C. and A. C. Whiteside, Farmers E^levator.
Lumber dealers — Waterville Lumber and Coal Company, S. P. Solt
Lumber Company.

Banks — ^Merchants State Bank, Farmers State Bank, Citizens State Bank.
Barber shops — John Finley and Gordon Brothers.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 203

Jewelry and repair — J- Turner.

Fkimber and tinsho]) — -Vug. Norquist.

Physicians — Dr. Harry Humfreyille. Dr. G. I. Thacher.

Garage — Verne Henderson.

Farm machinery — W^'ll Flook. W'ilham 'SI. Thompson.

Produce house — W. F. Fuhon.

General merchandise — IF Hohnsteadt & Son. William McKelyy &
Company.

Groceries — John Parson, A. \l. Baker, G. \\\ Jones, J. Schofield.

Feed store — J. Schofield.

Hard\yare and furniture — Scott & Thomas, Adams & Parker.

Meat market — R. Sommers & Son.

Restaurant and bakery — F. B. Fdgerton, Joe Pischnez.

Notion store and repair shop — Eli Peterson.

The census enumerator for 1916 reports the population of Wateryille
as six hundred eleyen.



WINIFRED.

The town of \Mnifred located on the southwest cjuarter of section 24
and the northwest cjuarter of section 25, township 3, south, range 8, east,
was founded in 1907 and platted and laid out by Gottfried Keller, on his
farm. It is on the Topeka and Marysyille branch of the F^nion Pacific rail-
Avay, eleyen miles southwest of Alarysyille.

The present site of A\'inifred was made the county seat of Alarshall
county in 1858 by the Territorial Legislature, and was named Sylyan. A
body of men representing the Nebraska Town Company came to Sylyan
at that time with twenty-four oxen and wagons loaded with lumber to build
the town ; they also brought some mercantile goods which they sold in a
tent. No buildings were erected, howeyer. as the county seat was changed
to AIarys\'ille through the direct influence of F. J. Marshall and the crowd
of men who followed liis bidding.

After Sylyan was abandoned as the county seat, the Nebraska Town
Company left their lumber on the ground and departed. The lumber was
at once confiscated. No direct charge is made as to who took it. but as a
certain self-styled county seat was badly in need of lumber, that useful
buildinsf material may haye found its way there. Among those who settled
on the Vermillion in 1856 were Fsaac Walker and family, who settled on



204 ^rARSHALI. COUNTY, KANSAS.

ihe land adioinini^- where W initred now stands and llie old lionieslead called
"West l"^>rk'" i^ stili mainlained In' the family. The town is named W'alk-
ersburg", after Isaac W'rdker and the postotfice is named Winifred after Airs.
Isaac Walker. Mr. and .Mrs. Daxid 15. Walker reside in Winifred, being
among" the first residents and helped to ]a\' otit the townsite.

The ])resent town of Winifred has a |)optilation of about se\-enty-five
people, and has a large farming ccjmnumity surrounding it.

SCHOOL OPENED.

The school house ^\■as built and opened in ic^t i at a cost of twenty-five
hundred dollars. It has two rooms, the first graded from the primary de-
partment to fifth grade, and the second graded from sixth grade to second-
year high school course. The first teachers were Mrs. Trosper and Miss
W'aymire. The present teachers are Aliss Waymire, principal, and Miss
Rose Seematter, assistant. The enrollment is thirty-two.

BU.SINESS INTERESTS.

Mr. S. C. M. Smith, the present postmaster, erected the first store in
Winifrefl with a capital of three hundred dollars, and the business has so
increased that his capital in\-ested is three thousand dollars. The stock con-
sists of general merchandise and the business is thriving.

The Winifred State Bank is a sound institution and well patronized.

A hardware store is owned by F. K. Barrett, with stock valued at four
thousand dollars and an average business of eighteen thousand dollars
annually.

Two elevators carrv on an extensive business. One, owned bv Isaac
Walker and V . K. Barrett, called the Winifred Grain Company, shipped in
the year 1916 one hundred thousand bushels of corn and one hundred and
fifty thousand bushels of wheat to Kansas City and to various points in Iowa.

The Farmers Union Elevator, managed by J. Tilley, does practically
the same amount of business.

A garage, also owned by F. K. Barrett, carries the Oakland car and
sold in 1 9 16, eleven cars, at from eight hundred and forty dollars -to one
thousand five hundred dollars, each.

The general merchandise store owned by A. F. Yaussi is managed by
Arthur Stauff, who is also a stockholder. This store opened in April, 1916,



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 205

with a capital of seven thousand dollars, and by January i, 1917, had
increased to eight thousand dollars.

B. W. Solt has a neat barbgr shop and opened business in 191 1. His
business averages one thousand dollars yearly.

A restaurant owned by the Farmers Union, managed" by A. and R.
Crevier, opened business on July 15, 1916. To January i, 1917, the busi-
ness netted six hundred dollars.

The Foster Lumber Company, of Kansas City, Ijegan business in 1909
with a capital of ten thousand dollars. The average yearly business amounts
to fifteen thousand dollars. R. E. Grutzmacher is manager.

M. R. Dickinson is the station agent, and has been in charge of the
station since it was established. He reports the following business for 1915:
Corn, 47 carloads ; wheat, 25 carloads ; oats, i carload ; live stock, 30 car-
loads ; walnut logs, 2 carloads; emigrants. 2 carloads. 1916: Corn, 74
carloads: wheat, 36 carloads; live stock, 19 carloads.

FLAG STATIONS IN COUNTY.

Nolan. — Topeka branch. Union Pacific railroad, located on southeast
quarter, section 34, Cleveland township.

Sullivan. — Topeka branch. Union Pacific railroad, located on northeast
quarter, section 36, Vermillion township.

Summit. — St. Joseph K^ Grand Island railroad, located on northwest
quarter, section 7, Murray township.

Upland. — Junction St. Joseph & Grand Island and Topeka branch Union
Pacific railroad, located on the northeast quarter, section 6, Center township.

LOST AND ABANDONED TOWNS OF MARSHALL COUNTY.

Horace Greeley said: 'Tt takes three log houses to make a city in Kan-
sas, but they begin calling it a city as soon as they have staked out the lots."
But "three log houses" were enough in those days to make much history.

This list of names of towns now lost or abandoned, tells a story of plans
that came to naught and hopes that were unfulfilled. Most of the towns
now live only in the archives of the State Historical Society, while the pro-
moters, like the towns, are buried and in many instances forgotten. The list
follows :

Ayersville, a village or feed station in 1855. twenty miles south of the
Nebraska line on the Little Blue, probably Cedar Falls.



^06 MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS.

Bennetts Station, a ])ostc)ffice in 1S59, probably at tbe home of Moses
Bennett on L'oon crock, where he kejjt a feed and supply station.

Blanch vi lie. postoltice named fcjr Horatio Blanchard, postmaster and
early settler, on northeast corner section 22, Walnut township.

Big Blue Gity, chartered in 1858; can find no trace of it.

Cedar Falls, two and one-half miles northwest of Waterville on Little
Blue. In 1858, William Pearsoll built a combination grist- and saw-mill
at Cedar Falls, later acquired by Rufus R. Edwards, of Marysville. There
is nothing left of this mill.

Elm Creek, a postoftlce located on south Elm creek at the home of John
Means, postmaster, an early settler.

Elizabeth, one mile northeast of Bigelow, feed and supply station near
Inmans quarries.



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 18 of 104)