Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 27 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 27 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Nester. 34 — Auld, Grace McKee. 36 — Blue Valley, Ellen Yaussi. 37 —
Game Fork, Albina Musil. 38 — Pleasant Valley, Grace Filley. 39 — Sun-
flower, Lessie DeVault. 40 — Reedsville, Vivian Thompson. 41 — Snipe
Creek, Minnie ]\IcKibben. 43— Grimes, Otis Crevier. 44 — Excelsior, Zella
Burton. 45 — Allison, Agnes Rutti. 46 — Garden, Mabel Tays. 47 — Pleasant
Hill, Ella Moden. 48 — Mt. Pleasant, Ethel Zeller. 49— Pleasant Valley,
Blanche Houston. 50 — Little Timber, Grace Radebaugh. 51 — Lincoln,
Minnie Severin. 52 — St. Bridget, Sr. M. Pauline, O. S. B. 53 — Plunkett,
Lizzie Smith. 54 — Stillwater, Bertha Tyler. 55 — Prairie Ridge, Nella Fen-
ner. 57 — Elliott, Thomas Warders. 58 — Deer Creek, Florence Schwinda-
mann. 59 — Pleasant Ridge, Charlotte Waters. 60 — Bremen, Ore McMahon.
61 — McLeod, Anna Krause. 62 — Dow, Marie Schulte. 64 — Fawn Creek,
Lena Hendel. 65 — Reserville, Alice Alackey. . 66 — Brown, Fea Raymond.
67 — -Blanchville, William Griffee. 68 — Pecenka, Julia Peterson. 69 —
Eighteen, Zilpha Anderson. 70 — Farrar, Ethel Tompkins. 71 — Bluhm, Iva
Rowe. 'J2 — Scriber, Verna Martin. 73 — Bain, May McMahon. 74 — Ander-
son, Mary Black. 75 — Seventy-five, Elizabeth Elliott, 'jd — Seventy-six,
Laura Harper, ^y — Prospect Hill, Lenore George. 78 — Grand View, Irene
Godbout. 80 — Brown, Francis Butler. 81 — Summit, Elsie Johnson. 82 —
Pleasant Prairie, Nora Stosz. 83— Cunningham, Margaret Klein. 84 — Koch,
Ruby Wikoff. 85— Victory, Mildred Winquist. 86— Star, Bertha Fulton.
87 — Larkin, Ella Voile. 89 — Fairiew, Lola Baker. 90 — Woodbine, W. R.
Brown. 91 — Pleasant Prairie, Bertha Schulte. 92 — Keystone, Minnie Lar-
son. 93 — Mt. Hope, Marie Zeller. 94 — Hopewell, Cornelia Fitch. 95 — •
Thomas, Howard Jester. 96 — Green Valley, Myra McMahon. 97 — Wilson,
Marie Sedivy. 98 — Reust. Helen Sedivy. 99 — Harmony, Julia Rudeen.
100 — Pleasant View, Millie Derby. loi — Flag, Mrs. Jennie Campbell. 102 —
Victory, Georgia Goin. 103 — Patterson, Helen Bright. 104 — Hardman,
Ethyle Harry. 105 — Brooks, Pauline Wuester. 106 — Burnside, Ella Davies.



294 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. ^

107 — Orr, Anna Cain. 108 — Balderson, Sophia Giirtler. 109 — Fairmount,
Luella Linnabary. no — Prairie View, Gladys Jester, in — Brush College,
Stephana Bond. 112 — Thomas, Gladys Sharpe. 113 — Barklow, Alta Dough-
erty. 114 — Sunrise, Leota Dolen. 116 — Peril, Mary Van Verth. 117 — West
Point, Lela Doering. 118 — Stony Point, Bernice Livingstone. 119 — Lily
Creek, Tresa Juenemann. 120 — Liberty, Lyla Roepke. 121 — Pauley, Eldon
Weller. 122 — Brammer, Gertrude Whiteside. 123 — Bommer, John Brand-
enburger, Jr. 124 — Prairie Center, Dora Tucker. 125 — Pleasant Hill, Min-
nie Burks. 126 — Pleasant Ridge, Myrtle Millick. 127 — Crane, Willa Wat-
kins. 128 — Schroyer, Esther Vering. 129 — Fairfield, Mary Warders. 130 —
Midway, Netta Hafner. 131 — Mt. Hope, Blanche Sharpe. 132 — Sunnyside,
Ruth Willey. 133 — Triumph, Helene Thompson. 134 — Lamb, Edna
Buckles. 135 — Riggert, LeNora Rombeck. 136 — Hatten, Julia Wendel. 138
— O'Brien, Ralph Bair. 139 — Enterprise, Grace Sandborn. 140 — Mina,
Velma Winney. 141 — Scully, Netta Vogel. 142 — Cedar Ridge, Norma
Tyler. Jt. i — Windy Ridge, Sadie Gosper. Jt. 2 — Spring Valley, Ralph Har-
per. Jt. 7 — Swede Creek, Paulina Osner.

TWO-TEACHER SCHOOLS.

22 — Lillis, Leo JMackey and Rosa Hayes. 42 — Home, George- Marshall
and Marie Keller. 63 — Herkimer, Alma Mollinger and Grace Thomas. 79—
Vliets, Ross Griffis and Maude Arnold. 88 — Winifred, Lottie Waymire and
Rosa Seematter. 1 1 5 — Bigelow, Robert Shope and Eva Johnson.

■ *

BARNES HIGH SCHOOLS.
DISTRICT NO. 2 IRVING.

O. W. Kunz, superintendent; F. J. Wood, principal; Frances Lomuller,
high school ; Emma Hadorn, sixth, seventh and eighth ; Eva ^^'ebb, fourth and
fifth; Irene Stone, first, second and third.

DISTRICT NO. 3 BLUE RAPIDS.

J. H. Houston, superintendent; Harriet Landers, principal; R. B. Am-
brose, high school ; Edith Folz, high school ; Grace Ulrich, high school ; R. E.
Carlson, eighth; Elsie Schmidler, seventh; Floretta Dailey, sixth; Edna Bald-



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 295

win, fifth; Hazel Rucker, fourth; Nettie Crissman, third; Esther Axe, sec-
ond; Bertha Waters, first; Mrs. S. E. S. Vawter, primary; Rexford -Clarke,
seventh; Adah Lerhr, music.

DISTRICT NO. 12 VERMILLION.

C. Kraemer, superintendent ; Ruth Thomas, principal ; Hulda Froom, high
school; Blanche Woodward, seventh and eighth; Maude Smith, fourth, fifth
and sixth; Mabel Woodward, first, second and third.

DISTRICT NO. 137 SUMMERFIELD.

J. J. Fowler, superintendent; Ethel Henry, principal; Edith Arnold, high
school; Ethel Kissack, seventh and eighth; Emma Craven, fifth and sixth;
Carrie Hughes, third and fourth ; Maude Samuelson, first and second ; Ross
Campbell.

DISTRICT NO. 29 BEATTIE.

John Menehan, superintendent ; Florence Totten, principal ; Iowa Jones,
high school; Viola Malm, high school; Will Stosz, seventh and eighth; La
Verne Conger, fifth and sixth; Martha Calhoun, third and fourth; Bessie
Thorne, primary.

DISTRICT NO. 56 AXTELL.

C. I. Smith, superintendent; F. Chilcott, principal; J. J. Bollin, high
school; Florence Hudson, high school; Margaret Russell, high school; Edna
M. Danner, district school; Minnie E. Mack, eighth grade; Myrtle Temple,
sixth and seventh; Mary McKnight, fourth and fifth; Mary O'Neil, second and
third ; Anna C. Olson, primary.

DISTRICT NO. 4 MARYSVILLE.

C. O. Smith, superintendent ; Etta Beavers, high school ; F. M. Unruh,
high school; Ethel Mallonee, high school; Beulah Jevons, high school; Hazel
Richards, high school ; Carl White, high school ; Dorothy Waite, high school ;
Neva Kissell, music ; Clara Froom, eighth ; Nina Kirkwood, seventh ; Mildred
Kirkwood, sixth; Veda Smith, fifth; Maude Thomas, fourth; Anna Schmitt,
third; Mabel Montgomery, second; Mildred Paxton, primary; Mabel Newman,
first and second (ward).



296 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.



DISTRICT NO. 17 — WATERVILLE.

C. B. Vernon, superintendent; Jesse Seaton, principal; Martha Sellards,
high school; Helen Coolidge, high school; ]\Iabel Lamereaux, eighth grade;
Mabel Nider, sixth and seventh; Ivan Xichols, fourth and fifth; Ruth Rice,
second and third; Margaret McDonald, primary.

DISTRICT NO. 20 OKETO.

p. X. Schmitt, superintendent ; Frank Menehan, principal ; Dorothy
Waters, seventh and eighth; Minna Scott, fourth, fifth and sixth; ]\Iildred
Briggs, first, second and third.

DISTRICT NO. 35 FRANKFORT.

R. L. Hazzard, superintendent; Duncan McRuer, principal; John Cannon,
high school; Bessie Curry, high school; Maud Lourey, high school; Georgia
Hoffman, high school; Katherine Zook, high school; Esther Zeininger, dis-
trict school; Howard Heleker, seventh and eighth; Winifred Shearer, sixth;
Bess Shafer, fifth; Eva Lathrop, third and fourth; Hazel Haskin, second;
Verna Smith, first.

COUNTY BOARD OF EXAMINERS.

Aliss Harriet Landers, Blue Rapids ; C. Kraemer, Vermillion ; W. H.
Seaman, Marysville. Regular examinations are held on the last Saturday of
October, the last Saturday of January and last Saturday of June, together
with the Friday preceding each such Saturday.

OFFICERS OF THE COUNTY TEACHERS' ASSOCIATION.

President, Harriet Landers, Blue Rapids ; vice-president, R. L. Hazzard,
Frankfort; secretary, Etta Beavers, Marysville; treasurer, W. H. Seaman,
Marysville. The executive committee consists of the officers of the asso-
ciation.

OFFICERS OF THE SCHOOL BOARDS' ASSOCIATION.

President, Frank Lann, Axtell; vice-president, E. O. Webber, Marys-
ville; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. P. C. McCall, Irving.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 297

SUMMARY.

*School census 6,973

Enrollment 5>i62

Average daily attendance 4,060

Teachers employed :

One teacher schools 131

Two teacher schools 89

Marysville 18 238

Average salary per month :
Male teachers —

High school $111.80

Grade 68.00

Rural 49.66

Female teachers —

High school 73-00

Grade 54-Oo

Rural 47-00

Number school districts :

Rural 126

*High school and graded 16 142

Number parochial schools 6

^Valuation $51,604,720.00

*Value of school property 402,125.00

Amount Barnes high school fund, 1916-17 25,794.00

^Amount paid teachers 112,532.00

*Total cost of maintaining schools 228,086.17

Enrollment in high schools, 1915-16 693

High school graduates, 1916 109

Total number of high school graduates to date i)i85

Common school graduates, 1916 162

Volumes in school libraries 16,585

^Including Marysville.



298 ^fAUSTTAl.I. COUNTY, KANSAS.

GOLD MEDAL AWARDS.

Twelve years ago, Marshall county inaugurated a plan of offering, as an
incentive to better attendance upon our |)ul)lic schools, a gold medal as an
award for seven years' perfect attendance. For the school year 191 5- 16,
thirtv-three medals were presented. The following named pupils received
medals :

Walter Goin, Beattie ; Ruby Graham, Beattie ; Walter Gurtler, Beattie ;
Glen Swanson, Waterville; Carl Steenson, Waterville; Florence Godfreson,
Waterville; Walter Stewart, Waterville; Marcellus Leslie, Frankfort; Esther
Caldwell. Frankfort; Wanita Fowler, Frankfort; Argie Logan, Frankfort;
Eva Myers, Frankfort; Anna B. Holt, Home; Frederick Dexter, Home; Clar-
ence Genschoreck, Home; Lawrence Genschoreck, Home; Ella Genschoreck,
Home; Freda Dettke, Home; Myrtle Fincham, Home; Rosa Seematter, Home;
Elnora W^anamaker, Blue Rapids; Creta Swanson, Blue Rapids; Wallace
Koppes, Garden; Marie Krai, Vliets; Victor Hoerath, Herkimer; Clarence
Remmers, Herkimer ; Iner Poison, Vermillion ; Edla Poison, Vermillion ; Grace
Buckles, Vermillion ; Elva Morrill, Summerfield ; Jakie Wagner, Summerfield ;
Ravmond McLarnen, Summerfield ; \^erne Franks. Irving.

HONOR STUDENTS OF MARSHALL COUNTY.

Jennie Rea Dilworth, Summerfield, common school valedictorian ; Ed}1;he
Gould, Irving, high school spelling ; Esther Ross, Axtell, high school declama-
tion; Earl Frost, Blue Rapids, high school oration.

ROLL OF HONOR.

Of the 5,162 pupils attending school in the county, 684 have been neither
absent nor tardy during the year 19 15- 16. The county roll of honor for that
school year shows the number of pupils and the number of consecutive years
of their attendance as follows: 331, one year; 156, two years; 121, three
years; 113, four years; 80, five years; 46, six years; 30, seven years.

Vesta Bickle, Mabel Smith, Myrtle Smith, Thomas Warders, Lucille
Whan, of district No. 4, Marysville; Clara Brock, of No. 56, Axtell; Albert
Poggeman and Howard Moore, of No. 137, Summerfield; Esther Mapes, of
No. 48, Mount Pleasant, Waterville — eight years each.

Lily Shepard and Jessie Summers, of No. 2, Irving; Anna Saville, of
No. 3, Blue Rapids; Elsa Schwartz, of No. 4. Marysville; Jennie Bell, of No.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 299

36, Marysville; Marie Cecile Plunkett, of No. 53, Summerfield — nine years
each.

Lillian Cottrell, of No. 2, Irving, and Bruno Schwartz, of No. 4, Marys-,
ville — ten years each.

Sidney Osborn, of No. 35, Frankfort, has the honor of having attended
school for thirteen consecutive years, without missing a single day or being
tardy.

JOHN MACDONALD.

It would be ingratitude on the part of the historian not to speak of the
good work done by John MacDonald, for the schools and teachers of Marshall
county. He came to the teachers' meetings and county institutes and brought
hopeful and cheering messages to the overworked and underpaid teachers of
early public school work in the county. His Western School Journal w-as
an education to the young teacher, dealing as it did, with all the perplexing
problems of pedagogy. A winged pilot has borne him across the bar, but
those who felt the inspiration of his presence and profited by his wise counsel,
have not forgotten him.

Marco Morrow has paid the following tribute to his memory :
"Across the dark but peaceful chasm which death has interposed between
us and the soul of John MacDonald, we waft a fond farewell. Scotchman,
American, Kansan; educator, editor, linguist, writer and teacher — you were
more than all that; you were a friend of man; you were beloved by your
fellows beyond most men. We shall miss your genial humor, your sparkling
wit, your kind spirit, and your sterling common sense. No man in Kansas
journalism was ever more universally respected; no memory will be more
greatlv revered. Farewell, John; w^e know that all is w^ell with you.''



CHAPTER XV.
Churches ix ATarshall County.



METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCHES.

Ill tlie (lays of the settlement of Marysville, churches did not thrive to
any great extent. An early historian puts it very nicely : "The population
was in some measure of a transitory nature and society was much subject to
the intluence incident to a constant tide of emigration and travel."

To this statement may be added the fact that a large proportion of the
population were engaged in holding conversations similar to one which, accord-
ing to tradition, once took place between the governors of North and South
Carolina.

It has been hinted by some that the first church erected in the city, was
because certain citizens of other portions of the county declared it a "burning
shame" that they were ol^liged to transact business in a town so devoid of
morality as to neglect to provide a house of worship. And that because of
this complaint subscriptions were taken and a church erected.

Tradition has it that the first religious services held in Marysville, were
in a saloon, in the summer of 1857. There is sufficient evidence that at least
the saloon was here. The Methodist church, South, had a small church
liouse and the first sermon preached in it was by the Rev. Mr. Millice, of that
denomination. In 1859 R^^. Mr. Robbins, of the same church, held services
in Ballard & Morrall's drug store.

In the summer of i860 two ministers of the same church, Reverends
King and Duncan, held revival meetings lasting two weeks in the Barrett
House. When the war broke out this organization disbanded, but church
services were held whenexer an itinerant minister came this way and these
services were always w^ell attended.

The Marshalls were religious people and there were at all times some
people in the town v^ho kept alive the religious faith.

The priests soon searched out their flocks and held mass and gradually
the desire for churches and regular services grew.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. ^OI



MARYSVILLE.



An organization of the Methodist church, North, was perfected in 1866
by Reverend Woodbnrn of Manhattan, with five members, three of whom
were Mrs. L. J. Swearengen and I.. Keefover and wife. Meetings were
held in the old court house, also in the old frame school house. Among the
early preachers were Reverends Tennent. Tenney and Taylor. The mem-
bership was small and became discouraged.

At the annual conference held in Leavenworth in the spring of 1879,
Rev. A. J. Coe was appointed to the Marysville circuit, which included Marys-
ville. Oketo and Deer Creek. The class at Marysville was then composed of
Thomas Hughes and wife, Mrs. Swearengen, Bates, Cooper and Linley, and
Miss Hattie Linley.

The presiding elder instructed Coe to come to Maiysville and build a
church. This seemed almost a forlorn hope to Mr. and Mrs. Coe and they
were told by the church that it was an impossibility. Tom Hughes, then the
editor of the Nezvs, gave the only encouragement. Reverend Coe began his
services in Waterson's Hall and preached to a small congregation. He
talked of a new church and by hard work raised nine hundred dollars and
started to build. It was uphill work, but finally the church was completed
and on the day of dedication the entire amount was raised. A hearty revival
was held that winter and some fifty accessions were made to the church.
After the congregation had a home the church prospered.

"When the new bank, which afterwards grew^ into the First National
Bank, was first established, a young man by the name of Colin Southerland
was assistant cashier. He was a member of the Methodist church and
induced a brother banker in Osceola, Iowa, to present the little church with a
bell. This banker's name was Ziegler and a few years ago he was living
in Los Angeles. Many able ministers served this church, among others.
Rev. Thomas Scott, a man of great courage and forcefulness, a "poet and a
scholar." No pulpit in Marysville has ever been filled by an abler man. He
sleeps in the MarysAille cemetery.

On October 31. Tgo2, Rev. W. C. Hanson came to ^Marysville from
Robinson. He was a splendid business man and a good pastor. A new
building was needed. He finished the present fine church home now occu-
pied by the Methodists.

The monev was raised by ])opular subscription and the building cost six
thousand five hundred dollars. It is forty-four by seventy-three feet, with a



302 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.



basement uiulcr the entire building'. The auibti iriuni is forty by forty, and
there are two large Sunda\- school rooms. The church w ill seat two hundred
and seventv-tive people. There are three stained-glass windows, which add
greatly to the appearance of the building.

The ])resent pastor is Rev. .\. J\. Williams and the church membership is
one hundred and seventy.

There is a large Sunday school, numbering one hundred and thirty
pupils, with eighteen teachers. E. F. Boxall is superintendent; F. M. Unruh,
assistant superintendent ; Adamantha Newton, secretary-treasurer. Other
au.xiliary societies are the Epworth League and Ladies Aid.

BLUE RAPIDS.

A partial organization of the Methodist church was perfected in the
winter of 1870-71, by Rev. M. D. Tenney, with sixteen members. Occa-
sional services were held during the year, in different halls, until 1876, when
a church was built of native limestone, at a cost of two thousand two hun-
dred dollars. This church was built under the pastorate of Rev. E. W.
Van Deventer. In 1889 a parsonage was built.

Rev. Thomas Scott, of Marysville, served this charge during the years
igoo-oi. In 1905, Rev. J. C. Wilson came to the church and remained for six
years. He rebuilt and enlarged the church at a cost of six thousand dollars.
This church was dedicated on December 19, 1909, by Bishop W. A. Ouayle,
assisted by District Superintendent W. C. Hanson.

Since that time the parsonage and church have been re-decorated, electric
lights installed and other improvements made. The membership of the
church has grown from sixteen charter members to two hundred and twenty-
five.

The present of^cials are : Trustees : H. F. Kaump, Clyde Rodkey,
M. P. Robinson, John Frost and Charles Palmer; stewards, J. L. Rodkey,
F. E. Austin, E. U. Bright, John Blair, Mrs. Susan Bendel and H. F.
Kaump. Present pastor, F. A. Whittlesey.

Sunday school superintendent, J. H. Houston ; secretary, Florence
Bright; treasurer, H. F. Kaump; librarian, Mrs. J. L. Moorhead; pianist,
Blanche Houston; class leader, Mrs. A. A. Austin. Membership, two hun-
dred. Woman's Missionary Society has eighteen members ; Epworth League,
twenty-eight; Ladies Aid Society, twenty-five. The church and Sunday
school are prospering.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 3O3

FRANKFORT.

On September 24, 1869, Rev. S. M. Hopkins, of New York, arrived in
Frankfort. The city consisted of thirteen residences and stores. Consent
was obtained from the railroad company to hold meetings in the depot. A
class of thirteen was organized, consisting of Mrs. S. M. Hopkins, Jessie
L. Hopkins, J. S. Kelley and wife, and others. Doctor Clutter acting as
superintendent, a Sunday school was gathered from among people living
in the vicinity and religious services held every Sunday. Late in the winter
meetings were moved into the school house and in March, 1870, Reverend
Hopkins was appointed pastor. During the year Rev. G. W. Gault and
Reverend Lairey assisted in the work. .\ large section of country was
included in the work of that pastorate. About one hundred dollars was
raised for furnishing a library for the Sunday school. This was the first
public library of which there is any record in the county.

In 1871 a promise of two lots was secured; eight hundred dollars was
subscribed and foundation was laid for a new church. In March, 1871,
Reverend Gray was appointed to the charge at Frankfort and Centralia,
with a residence in Centralia.

Rev. Charles Parker, of Irving, came to Frankfort and organized a
Union church, including Presbyterian and other denominations, and the
idea of building a Methodist church for a time was abandoned. From that
time until 1876 the preaching was done by the following pastors, alternating
with laymen : Rev. ^\^illiam Kni])e, Nichols, Price, A. J. McKee and
Spencer. In 1877 Reverend Hopkins retired and Reverend Zimmerman
was installed. He set to work to build a church, raised money to pay for a
lot and withdrew his charge from the Union meetings and established a
Methodist organization and Sunday school in Brady's hall.

A building committee was appointed, and in ^larch, 1878, a new pastor,
Reverend C H. Koester, was installed. At a called meeting two hundred
and fiftv dollars was subscribed for a church edifice. This was augmented
the next morning by one hundred and fifty dollars. As a result of a peti-
tion the railroad company presented a lot to the members, and on this lot
a parsonage was built. Mr. A. J. McKee gave the use of a room over his
building, then known as the First National Bank building, for the use of
the congregation. The Sunday school grew rapidly and soon this hall
became too small. The church accepted an ofl:er from the Presbyterians of
the use of their church in the afternoon. In March, 1880, Rev. E. H. Bailiff



304 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

commenced his pastorate in the Prcsln tcrian chnrcli, and a.^ain agitated the
question of building. Mr. A. J. McKee donated the lots on which the pres-
ent church now stands. The new churcli limine was dedicated in 1881 and
completed in 1887. In 1884 a storm and cyclone damaged the building so
that it had to be replastered and painted and new windows put in. In 1890
the church building and parsonage were worth about four thousand '■five
hundred dollars.

The building w^as destroyed for the second time by a cyclone and the
present structure erected in 1896. Valuable iin])n)vements have since been
made and the ]iroperty is nnw \alued at ten thousand dollars. The present
church has eight rooms — auditorium, three lecture rooms and four rooms
in the basement. The present membership is four hundred. The Sunday
school membership is three hundred. The ladies aid and missionary socie-
ties, adjuncts of the church, and the Senior and Junior Epworth Leagues
are prominent factors in the life of the church. The present pastor is Rev.
L. R. South.

AXTELL.

The officials of the Methodist Episcopal church at Axtell are : Bishop, W.
O. Shepherd; district superintendent, S. L. Buckner; pastor, P. B. Knepp;
president official board, J. G. Sitler ; Sunday school superintendent, W. S.
McKnight; superintendent primary department, Mrs. George T. Whitcraft;
superintendent home department. Miss Janie Keegan; superintendent cradle
roll department, Mrs. F. M. Wolf; trustees — C. H. Baker, A. E. Gaston,
George W. Reed, Charles Phillips and W. F. Rabe; stewards, J. G. Sitler, C.
H. Baker, George W. Reed, G. W. Keller, E. H. Harrison, Carl G. Newton,
George T. Whitcraft, Miss Lou Brawner, Miss Janie Keegan ; class leader,
Lee Davis; president, Ladies' Aid Society, Mrs. W. F. Rabe; president, Ep-
worth League, Miss Florence Sitler; superintendent, Junior League, Mrs.
P. B. Knepp.

The present membership is two hundred and seventy-seven. All the
departments of the church are in a healthy condition. The average attendance
at Sunday school during 19 16 was one hundred and thirty-six. There are
forty-five members in the home department, and thirty on the cradle roll.
During the same time the Epworth League had an average attendance of
forty.

The church property consists of a frame church building valued at eight
thousand five hundred dollars and a frame parsonage valued at three thou-
sand five hundred dollars.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 305

WATERVILLE.

Services were held by Methodists of Waterville as early as 1868, when
the depot was used as a meeting house.

In the winter of 1868 Rev. M. D. Tenney organized a church with nine
members, among whom were J. D. Farwell, W. J. Johnson, M. T. Bennett,



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 27 of 104)