Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 29 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 29 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The Baptist church (colored) of Frankfort was organized in 1886. the
pastor being Rev. J. H. Moran. The first ofiicers were : P. M. Hickman. Greene
Hocker and Thomas White. The building A\as erected in 1887 and the Sun-



3l6 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

(lav school organized with a membershi]) of ten. P. M. Hickman was super-
intendent. Thev had no pastor at that date. The present officers are W.
11. .McAh'ster, \\ Montgomery, Perry Taylor and J. B. Price. The present
membership is tliirty; Sunday school, ten. The superintendent of Sunday
school is George Cloud.

WATERVILLE.

Waterville Baptist church was organized in the fall of 1873 by Rev.
W. A. Briggs of Blue Rapids, with fifteen members. A brick edifice thirty-
two by forty-two feet, was completed in iS<// at a cost of one thousand five
hundred dollars. Rev. W. A. Briggs officiated until 1880, since which time
the church has had no regular pastor. When the Baptist church was built
in .A[arvsville the society sold the \\''aterville Baptist church to the Christian
church society for fi\e hundred dollars and put that amount in the Baptist
church at Marysville.

WINIFRED.

Winifred Baptist church was dedicated on September 3, 191 1. It was
organized by Rev. John A. Riney, a missionary of the Blue Valley associa-
tion. The first pastor was Rev. Henry F. Bueker, of Plymouth, Illinois.
Mrs. Edith Dexter was the first clerk; Paris Houston and Joseph Griffee,
the first deacons; T. B. Dexter, D. O. Dexter and Joseph Griffee, first trus-
tees. The present officers are : C. Rakestraw- , Joseph Griffee, Andrew
Patzka, elders; D. O. Dexter, Joseph Griffee, Paris Houston, deacons.

The Rev. Wallace Carpenter, who was ordained on November 26, 191 2,
closed his pastoral duties on December 31, 1916. The present church has
seventy members. The Sunday school has a membership of one hundred ;
Young People's Society, twenty-five. A Ladies Missionary Society is con-
nected v, ith tlie church. A fine parsonage has recently been added to the
churcli property.



EPISCOPAL CHURCHES.

The story of St. Paul's Episcpal church, Marysville, is an interesting
one. Tw'enty-eight years have passed and the little brick church on the hill
is still ministering to her children in the name of the Lord. These were
years fraught with joy and thankfulness, while at worship within her sacred
walls.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 317

On November 24, 1887, Rev. Joseph Wayne, of Burlington, Kansas,
held services in Marysville, and on February i, 1888, the following officials
were elected: Wardens. F. W. White, J. S. Magill ; vestrymen. C. H.
Shaffer, R. E. Moser, Frank Thompson.

On April 5. 1888, the site of the present church was purchased; on
September ii, the corner stone was laid and on Advent Sunday, the same
year, St. Paul's was opened for worship. One year had passed since Rev-
erend Wayne had visited Mar}^sville and much had been accomplished in
the Master's vineyard.

The next resident rector was Rev. Percy B. Eversden, who remained
until November, 1899. Rev. A. Randall, of Hiawatha, came frequently and
on the TOth of June, 1901, Rev. H. C. Attwater was appointed to serve
Washington. Irving, Blue Rapids, and Marysville. He remained about one
year.

During the next four years Archdeacon Crawford visited the parish
occasionally, for the celebration of the Eucharist. Rev. David Curran
officiated in 1906-07. He was succeeded by Rev. P. B. Peabody. of St.
Marks, Blue Rapids, until the arrival of B. E. Chapman, who remained until
1909. Rev. L. G. Fourier served the parish for one year.

Dr. H. E. Toothaker ministered to St. Paul's as catechist and deacon
for three years, residing at Washington. W. L. Gibson, as lay reader, and
L. P. Thatcher, served until December 19, 1914, when Louis T. Hardin was
appointed and entered upon the duties of catechist. He is still serving the
parish as deacon in charge.

During all these years Mr. F. W. White has served the church as warden
and lias rendered devoted service to the parish. Nearly all the charter mem-
bers have fallen asleep; a few remain, whose desire it is to glorify the Son
of Man.

Services are maintained on two Sundays in each month and Sundav
school is held each Sunday morning.

Present officials : Louis T. Hardin, deacon ; warden, \\\ ^^^ Hutchin-
son ; vestrymen. Dr. F. V>\ Clark, Guy A. Pulleine and Carl W. Belknap.

IRVING.

The Episcopal church was organized in 1867 by Rev. Charles Holmes.
For some time meetings were held in tlie school house. The membership
was small and the meetings irregular and the church declined, but in 1874
it was reorganized by Bishop Vail and Reverend Holmes installed as pastor.



3l8 MARSHAL). COUNTY, KANSAS.

[ii the fall of iSjc) a small rluircli liDiiie was erccterl at a cost of one thou-
sand two hundiXMl dollars. Rqy. George Turner served as rector in 1S83.
The church is now in charge of Rev. Louis Harding, of Marysville.

BLUE RAPIDS.

Articles of association were adopted by the parish of St. JMark, Blue
Rapids, i*klarch i, 1871, to form a congregation of the Episcopal church.

The charter members were : Frank Hall, John McPherson, C. Y. Reed,
Jane Reed, Eva Reed, E. A. McPherson, Luke P. Holmes, Walter R. Webb,
M. S. Holmes, Charles Holmes, Matilda Webb, N. A. Stone, John W. Grif-
fith, C. E. Olmstead, E. H. Comstock, Charles O. Clark and Emma Griffith.

The first meeting was held in Colonial hall, March 5, 1871. The first
ofTficials were: Charles Holmes, parish clerk; X. A. Stone, senior warden;
Charles Holmes, junior warden; C. E. Olmstead, John McPherson, John
W. Griffith, vestrymen.

At the annual parish meeting held on Easter Monday, April i, 1872,
the follcjwing officers were elected : A. E. Sweetland, senior warden ; Frank
Hall, junior warden; E. H. Comstock, C. E. Olmstead, John McPherson,
vestrymen. All annual elections since then have been held on the same day.

During the years 1871-74 Bishop A^ail. the pioneer Episcopal bishop of
Kansas, confirmed a number of candidates. These were the last confirma-
tions held in Blue Rapids for a number of years.

Lacking a church building the church meml^ers became scattered and
some affiliated whh f)ther churches. Some removed to other localities and
death claimed his toll. In 1883 three families of the Episcopal faith located
in Blue Rapids, bringing a membership of nine to the church. These families
were the Deaths, the Russells and Chaneys. Rev. Joseph Wayne, rector at
Marysville, gathered the scattered members together and on May 20, 1888,
services were resumed. On Easter morning regular services were held in
the Congregati<jnal church by Bishop Thomas. The following day the annual
election was held and the officials elected were : John McPherson, senior
warden; J. A. Death, junior warden; Henry Harland, John Mulendez and
Dr. Harry Humfreville, \estrymen.

On June 15, 1901, Rev. H. C. Attwater assumed the pastorate of St.
Marks. Lender his ministry the church grew and prospered. A church home
was secured in Olmstead hall and furnished appropriately. Soon after this,
through the efforts of Mrs. Alary J. Martin, a becjuest of five hundred dollars
was made St. Marks by Miss S. E. Maurice, of New York, and later the



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. - 319

Congregational church echfice was purchased and a permanent church home
secured. The church has heen greatly improved, furnished with marble
baptismal font, choir, stalls, lectern, prayer desk and hymn board. The
lectern is a gift from the St. Agnes guild, in memory of Mrs. John McPher-
son, long a loved member of the church. The altar vases were given by the
Sunday school, in honor of Paul Wanamaker, who died August 13, 19 13.

Early in 1901 Mr. and ]\Irs. C. J. Brown and Miss Florence Greer,
(Mrs. Brown's daughter), moved from Topeka to Blue Rapids, and became
faithful workers in St. !\Iark. Miss Greer was especially active among the
young people and her beautiful life was an example to -all. Her death
occurred on August 22, 19 15.

In 1908 a fine rectory was built and first occupied by Rev. P. B. Pea-
body, who was rector of St. Mark for nine years. Reverend Peabody left
the charge at Blue Rapids to assume the pastorate of St. James church.
Independence. Iowa. The present rector of St. Mark is the Rev. W. E.
Rambo, of Brownsville, Pennsylvania. He became resident rector in Decem-
ber, 1916. The church is prospering and has a devoted membership.



LLTHERAN AND EVANGELICAL CHURCHES.

The English Lutheran church of Cottage Hill township was organized
in 1879-80. The first pastor was Rev. D. Harbaugh. The first officials were
Charles Dietelbach, L. R. Kistler, deacons; C. R. Kistler and F. J. Faulkner,
elders.

Previous to this time Rev. F. R. Scherer and Rev. D. Harbaugh, both
ministers of the English Lutheran church, preached in school houses in both
Alarshall and Washington counties.

After the building of the Keystone school house in district No. 92,
preaching was held alternately in that school house and Pleasant Hill. In
1882-83 Rev. J. A. Lowe was installed as pastor and, largely through his
efforts, the Waterville church was built in 1884. Reverend Sponseller suc-
ceeded Reverend Lowe, and he planned and had the present church under
construction in 1891.

Rev. I. B. Heisey followed Reverend Sponseller and under his charge
the church was completed in 1892. The cost of the church was two thousand
dollars. Reverend Heisey was well known as a pioneer citizen of the county.
He was the well beloved pastor of the Waterville and Cottage Hill churches



320 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

for twenty-one years. He tonk a well-earned rest in Illinois for some
years and at present lives in Chapman, Kansas.

The present pastor of the church is Rev. Clark Powell, who has just been
installed. The present number of members is twenty-three. The present
church officials are: Elders, D. C. Smith, M. M. Rice; deacons, George
Rodecker, Andrew Hirt; trustees, Charles Stinson and Roy Rodecker.

There is a Sunday school in connection with the church, with forty mem-
bers. Superintendent, Charles Stenson; secretary. Myrtle Smith; treasurer,
I\Irs. Sarah Kistler.

ENGLISH LUTHERAN CHURCH, WALNUT TOWNSHIP.

The now existing church has its origin from the Scandinavians who
settled in the western part of the county in the early seventies. The congre-
gation was first organized as the Skandinaviske Evangeliske Lutherske
Menighed, in Marshall county on 25th of March, 1874, with N. C. Brun, of
Doniphan county, Kansas, as pastor and Jens T. Lund, H. M. Johnson and
P. S. Lundgren as trustees, and Mart .Scott as secretary. This congregation
was not able to build a church at once and services were held in settlers'
homes and school houses until 1880, when a building w-as erected on a plot
of two acres of ground in the southeast corner of northw-est cjuarter of
section 5, township 3, range 6, of which the south acre is set apart as a
cemetery.

P^or three years the church had a resident pastor, but usually was served
by pastors from other Scandinavian settlements.

In 1898 the charter w-as surrendered to the present organization, with
Rev. L B. Heisy, of Waterville, as pastor, and since then it has been a part
of the Waterville Lutheran pastorate.

GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH, MARYSVILLE.

This church was organized in 1868 by Rev. A. Bathe, with a good
membership. Services were held in a frame building until 1876, when the
present edifice was dedicated. The corner stone was laid in 1874 and a
stone structure erected at a cost of three thousand dollars. The church still
stands as erected, but has been remodeled slightly and a gallery for the choir
added. In connection with the church a parochial school is maintained, where
the young are instructed in the catechism and also in the German language.

Rev. A. Bathe was succeeded in 1870 by Rev. W. Goegel, who was sue-



I •■" ..





GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH, MARYSVILLE.



73

a

X

r

H
H

>
r

^^
O

X
d

o

X

>
X
H
H

r




MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 32 1

ceeded by Reverend Haas, in 1872. Rev. H. Barkman assumed charge
in July, 1876, and remained until October, 1895. His successor was Rev.
W. Schaefer, who resigned in 1900, when Rev. L. Reinert was elected, who
held the charge for nearly fourteen years, when the present incumbent, Rev.
C. Bechtold, accepted the call of the congregation.

This congregation consists of about two hundred souls all told, in
thirty-five families, with sixty adult individual members.

This "little German church on the corner," is one of the institutions of
Marysville, which has shown the great quality of endurance, amidst all
adversity. It has never in all these years been without a pastor and the
church bell has never failed, on each succeeding Sabbath morn, as the years
have come and gone, to call to the house of God a devoted congregation of
worshippers.

Of the thirty-three original members of this congregation, the only ones
now living are August Hohn and wife, and Christ Kracht and wife, of
Marysville, and Fred Gerlinger, of West Allis, Wisconsin.

The present board of trustees are : Julius Plegge. Louis Sievert, Edward
B. Menzel and John Peeks.

SWEDISH LUTHERAN.

The Swedish Lutheran Gloria Dei church of Cottage Hill, was organized
on September 28, 1871. Rev. S. P. A. Lindahl perfected the organization.
The first officers were : Deacons, N. P. Nelson, P. Hull and P. Blumcjuist ;
trustees, Henry Nelson, John Olson and J. E. Nelson; secretary, L. Ljoblom.

For two years the congregation was served by visiting ministers and the
services were held in the Harbaugh school house. Rev. J. Veleen was the
first regular pastor. He was succeeded by H. Olson.

On January 5, 1878, a location was secured and the present church was
completed in 1886.

In 1894 a parsonage was built and Rev. B. S. Nystrom was the first
pastor to live in it. He was succeeded by Rev. L. Ulden and Rev. N. J.
Sture, who were succeeded by the present pastor.

The early membership was about one hundred and forty. In 19 12 the
membership was one hundred and twenty. The church is active in maintain-
ing a Sunday school, in which the Swedish language is taught.

There is a Luther League and Ladies' Aid Society in connection with
the church. The value of the church property is six thousand five hundred
(21)



322 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

dollars. The present officials of the cluirch arc: Pastor, M. J. Loniier;
deacons, A. D. Moden, G. T. Nelson and Alfred Lindcjuist; trustees, Frank
Moden, Oscar Nelson and C. A. Peterson. Oscar Nelson is church treasurer
and Mrs. j\I. J. Lonner, organist. The church owns a beautiful and well-
kept cemetery, adjoining the church property.

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN ZION CHURCH.

The Evangelical Lutheran Zion church at Herkimer was erected in
1892 at a cost of two thousand two hunch'cd dollars, with a membership
of twelve. The names of the first officials were : J. H. Brockmeyer, presi-
dent; William Thiele and E. Hormann, elders; W. H. Koeneke, treasurer;
C. Kulper, secretary. Later a parsonage was built at a cost of two thousand
five hundred dollars and a school at a cost of two thousand two hundred dol-
lars. There are about twenty-five pupils attending the school. German is
taught, religious training given and all English branches are taught as in
the public schools. The minister is also the teacher.

The present membership of the church is twenty-five communicants and
about two hundred attendants. The following are the present officers : H.
Thiele, president ; William Thiele, William Fink and Theodore Schotte,
elders; E. Hormann, treasurer; William Kruse, secretary.

The first pastor was H. Wein. The present pastor, H. C. Marting.

GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH, STOLZENBACH.

This church was organized in 1869 by Rev. A. Bathe, then the resi-
dent pastor at Marysville. First services were held in the Otoe Indian mis-
sion house, which stood on section i, Baldwin township.

The mission house was a three-story concrete building, one hundred by
fifty feet, and was erected by an Eastern church society, at the time the
Indians were located on that reservation, for whatever use the Indian agent
might make of it. In 1873 a hurricane tore the top story off this building,
and after that it continued in operation as a two-story affair and was still
used by this congregation for a meeting house. Later, the Merklinghaus
school house, located on the same section, was used until 1879, when a church
building was erected on the northeast corner of section 12, Balderson town-
ship. Up to 1892 this church was under the pastorage of Marysville, since
then it has been combined with a church of the same denomination at Herki-
mer.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. ' 323

Pastors serving this church were: Rev. A. Bathe, to 1870; Rev. W.
Gogel, to 1872; Reverend Haas, to 1876; Rev. H. H. Barkman, to 1892;
Reverend Vogt, to 1895; Reverend Bohnstengel. to 1895: Reverend Huebsch-
mann, to 1901 ; Reverend Koch, to 1903; H. Grosse, to 1906; G. H. Schwake
and Ad. Rahn, 191 1 to 1914.

The pastor in charge of this congregation at present is Rev. E. Berg-
strasser. The present membership is fifteen families, numbering seventy-one
souls.

The mission house referred to above, was built by an Eastern church
missionary society. The missionary in charge gathered up a couple of dozen
papooses and tried to teach them to read and write and do kindergarten work ;
then the parents of the children ifisisted upon getting pay for the use of
their children, and the work had to be dropped, and the building was used
for a sort of community hall.

GERMAN EVANGELICAL IMMANUEL CHURCH, HERKIMER. ;

This church is an offspring of the church of the same denomination at
Marysville, and was organized in 1890. Distance and growth of population
in the surrounding country seemed to justify the separation.

Rev. E. Vogt had charge of this congregation from 1892 to 1897; Rev.
H. Huebschmann, to 1901 ; Rev. Chr. Koch, to 1902 ; H. Grosse, to 1908; Rev.
U. B. Slupianek, to 1912; Rev. L. Birnstengel, to present date.

The church edifice was erected in 1893 at a cost of one thousand dol-
lars, and the re'cords for 191 5 show a congregation of one hundred and ten
adults, consisting of thirty-nine families, making one hundred and sixty-
three souls in all.

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN TRINITY CONGREGATION ( GERMAN), WALNUT

TOWNSHIP.

This congregation was first organized in 1886. The membership included
nearly all the German families residing in the vicinity. ]\Ieetings were held
in the Danish church. The congregation was served by neighboring pastors,
namely, Revs. G. Polack, Frese, Hoyer, and Wein.

In 1906 the congregation was reorganized, the present property purchased
and a good church built. The first resident pastor was Rev. J. Rabold, who
served the congregation until February, 191 1, when he accepted a call to



3^4 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

western Kansas. During the summer of that year the new pastor, Rev. W.
Cook, was installed.

The memhership at present is as follows : Number of souls, one hundred
eightv-five ; communicants, ninety-eight ; voting members, thirty-one.

The present board of elders are Herman Scheil>e, Martin Holle, and Her-
man ]\ringe; R. Frohberg, chairman; H. Stohs, secretary; A. Pronske, treas-
urer.

A cemetery near the church is the object of care on the part of the church,
and is in perfect order. Many of the good men and women who helped build
and maintain the church sleep in peace and quiet within that inclosure.

AT KERMANSBURG.

Three and one-half miles northeast of Bremen, on an eminence named
Hermansburg, which commands a fine ^•iew of the country for miles in each
direction, stands the German Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel church, known
to the people of Marshall county and adjoining counties as the Hermans-
burg church.

This church was erected in 1870 by an organization, which was per-
fected in the year 1868, with twelve members.

The trustees of the first organization were : Friedrich Westermann,
Louis Knees, Henry Meyer, Thomas Koeneke, John Bandich, secretary.

The early pastors who served this congregation were : Jonas Matthias,
Leonhard Pfiffer, Gustav W. Polack and Friedrich Pennekamp.

Rev. Gustav Polack was a widely known pastor of the German Luth-
eran Evangelical faith. He was originally from Illinois; came to Cape
Girardeau, ^lissouri, thence to Marshall county. He served as pastor of the
Hermansburg church from 1879 until his death in 1898. During the early
years his pastorate extended as far north as Lanham and as far south as
Herkimer. He established German Lutheran churches at Afton and Herki-
mer in Marshall county ; at Palmer, Linn and Strawberry in Washington
county; at Bern in Nemaha county, and at Onaga and Duluth in Potta-
watomie county. Because of this the influence of the Hermansburg church,
being the central power, extended beyond the limits of the county. Reverend
Polack closed his ministry with the church in 1898. He was buried on the
day he had chosen to deliver his farewell sermon.

The church has prospered and now has a membership of eighty-eight,
w4th a Sunday school of one hundred. There are two parochial schools in



o

O
X
?d

>

w

Cd

Pd
SJ
O

Q
M
S3

r

H

H
?d
t>
Z

o
SJo

o

z

a

o
o

o

S)
H
Q
>

O

z;
o

2



O

CO

H
m

X
o





"ly -



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 325

connection witli the church. One of the scliool buildings is on property
adjoining the church, the other is three and one-half miles south and east
of the church. The common branches, extending as far as the eighth grade,
are taught and, in addition, special instruction in the German language and
in religious training is given. There are seventy-seven children enrolled in
the two schools and two teachers are employed. Dwellings are furnished
the teachers free of charge and salaries amounting to one thousand and fifty
dollars annually, are paid. The cost of the two school buildings exceeded
three thousand dollars.

The church owns forty-five acres of land, on part of which is located
a well-kept cemetery. The present pastor of the church is Otto Menke, and
the present officials are: Fred Friedrichs, John Rengstorf, Fred Holle;
William Rabe. treasurer, and E. A. G. Mueller, secretary.



UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.

The first United Presbyterian church in Marshall county was organ-
ized May 20. 1883, by Rev. Marion ]\Iorrison, D. D., with Capt. C. F. Mc-
Culloch, A. B. W'eede and S. ^i. Pressly as ruling elders. The location of
this congregation was in the vicinity of the present city of Summerfield.
There were twenty-three charter members as follow : Mr. and Airs. C. F.
McCulloch, Mr. and Mrs. John S. Smiley, Mr. and Airs. Thomas Brown,
Mr. and Mrs. \\'. I). Gordon, Air. and Airs. A. B. Weede, Air. and Airs. S.
AI. Pressly, Air. and Airs. Andrew Nash, Air. and Airs. A. D. Hutchison,
Air. and Mrs. J. L. Brown, E. J. Smiley, ^\^ A. Smiley, Aliss Carrie E.
McCulloch, Aliss Fannie Smiley and \V. R. Brown.

For about six years the congregation worshipped in the school house
in district 90, with Reverend Alorrison, Rev. J. H. Alontgomery and others
as supplies, but when Summerfield was started a church building at a cost
of about two thousand five hundred dollars was built and Rev. A\\ T. W'ar-
nock called as pastor in 1891. Rev. C. H. Alitchell succeeded Reverend
Warnock as pastor in 1894 and eight years later Dr. J. C. Calhoun became
pastor and continued for twelve years when the present pastor, Re\'. W. L.
Torrence, took charge.

The congregation now has one hundred ninety members and the Sab-
bath school numbers more than two hundred. The church building has



326 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

been etilaro;ed and a commodious parsonage has l>cen erected since the
organization.

Eleven of tlie charter members are yet living-, seven of whom reside
within the bounds and continue as members of this cluirch.



CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.

On January 12, 1872, the following persons, who were of the Congrega-
tional polity and faith, perfected a church organization in Blue Rapids:
James Cooley, Charles E. Tibbetts, J. D. Field, F. G. Morris, J. E. Ball,
John Palmer, J. C. Friselle, Lewis Phelps, John A. Smith, William Ekins
and James A. Dawes. Of these men, James Cooley and Charles E. Tib-
betts had been in the county since 1866, and William Ekins and James A.
Dawes came later.

The first pastor was Rev. Arthur Smith. He died early in his minis-
terial work. In 1879 came Rev. E. Skinner, of English birth, and during
his ministry a church was erected and dedicated in October, 1882. Reverend



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 29 of 104)