Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 32 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 32 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Nerad and Hnat families.

For a number of years the congregation was attended by the following
priests : Reverends Klaus. Dragoon, Chial, Kulizek, and Father Alphons,
O. S. B.. from Atchison.

In the spring of 1906 Father Kulizek, who was stationed at Frankfort,
built a new church to replace the old one. which had become too small. The
church was dedicated on September 28, 1906, by Father Kulizek. In August,
1909, the Rt. Rev. Bishop sent Father Francis Elast to Waterville, with the



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. " 347

St. \A'enceslaus congregation as a mission. In 19 lo a church bell was pro-
cured and blessed by the pastor. Father Elast was followed by Father
O'Leary, Father Hall and the present pastor. Father Thomas Mclnerney.
The congregation is regularly attended once a month from Waterville
and, although small, has a substantial growth.

VERMILLION.

A Catholic church was built about 1870 and sei"vices held once a month
for about one year, Rev. Father Rutler having charge. Later, the building
was sold to F. W. Watson, the members transferring their membership to
Axtell, Coal creek and Lillis, where there were prosperous church organiza-
tions.



CHAPTER XVI.
Fraternal Orders, Societies and Clubs.



INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Blue Rapids, was organized
October lo, 1893, with the following charter members: William H. Hill,
noble grand ; J. B. ^Miller, vice-grand ; D. O. Munger, secretary, and H. R.
Aleyer, Z. T. Trumb.o, J. E. Mcintosh, D. F. Casey, W. L. Griffith, M. F.
Davis, J. H. Siebert, G. AI. West. G. H. Heathman, H. G. Fowler, W. H.
Hewitt and J. H. McRae.

The officers for 191 7 are: C. N. Badger, noble grand; B. Shaw, vice-
orand ; Harrv Craft, secretarv-treasurer.

Pawnee Lodge No. 108, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Waterville,
was instituted October 15, 1873, with the following members: S. M. Wil-
hite, George Bancroft, F. Damour, J. W. Sharrard, R. Smith, A. H. Snyder.
First officers: A. L. Johnson, noble grand; George Bancroft, vice-grand;- J.
W. Sharrard, secretary, and F. F. Damour, treasurer. Present officers : L.
A. Larson, noble grand ; A. D. Henderson, vice-grand ; H. C. Wilson, secre-
tary, and J. R. Edwards, treasurer. Present membership, one hundred and
twenty-one. Lodge meets every Monday evening in Fraternity Hall.

Joseph Van Allen, a charter member of this lodge, has the extraordinary
distinction of holding the honorable veteran jewel of the order, which repre-
sents fifty years of continuous membership. He was initiated into Odd Fel-
lowship on November 9, 1866, at Burlington, New Jersey. Mr. Van Allen
is a veteran of the War of the Rebellion.

Vermillion Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized
in 1897, with the following charter members: W. P. Mesmer, Matt. McAtee,
Ernest Hill, Herbert Williams, W. S. Domer, David Bislan and the Steven-
son brothers. Dr. John Clifton located in Vermillion in 1899 ^^^ gave much
time and eft'ort to strengthen the lodge, but. finally, for lack of funds the
charter was surrendered in IQ06.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 349

Axtell Lodge No. 221, meets every Monday in the Odd Fellows hall.
H. C. Barnes, noble grand ; Frank A. Werner, recording secretary.

Odd Fellows Lodge No. no, Frankfort, was organized on October 14,
1874. The charter members and officers were: F. B. Taylor, Sr., George
F. Poor, Henry Sleigh, T. H. Gibson, Granville Sleigh, J. L. Davis and
J. R. Voorhees. The officers for 1917 are: J. J. Brooks, noble grand;
James Chandler, vice grand ; Charles Kelley, secretary.

Oketo Lodge No. 344, Lidependent Order of Odd Fellows was organ-
ized on July 6, 1888. The charter members .w^ere : Samuel Bentley, noble
grand ; F. W. Bartlett, secretary ; Dell Stowell, vice-grand ; D. B. Knight,
treasurer, and R. B. Brewer, N. Brooks, H. P. Benson and R. T. Baldwin.

The membership at the present time is forty. The present officers are :
Walter Howes, noble grand ; James Ebright, vice-grand ; T. J. Suggett. treas-
urer; W. B. Shafer, Jr., secretary.

Otoe Lodge No. 8^, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was instituted
at Alarysville under dispensation on February 14. 1872. A charter was
granted on October 8, 1872, with the following members : J. Doniphan,
noble grand ; W. H. Richardson, vice-grand ; J. A. Broughton ; P. H. Peters,
financial secretary; G. D. Swearengen, treasurer; F. F. Thompson, J. S.
Magill, J. Donahue.

This organization, which was prosperous for a number of years, at the
present time has a membership of fourteen. Present officers: Johii II.
Throm, noble grand ; J. B. Logan, secretary ; E. G. Draheim, treasurer.

REBEKAHS.

Blue Rapids Rebekah Lodge No. 337, was instituted on Deceml)er 29.
1897, with thirty-two charter members.

The first officers were : Noble grand, Laura B. Fouler ; vice-grand,
Adell G. Plehn ; secretary, Ella L Heathman ; treasurer, Lottie Brown ; con-
ductor, Nellie Thompson ; warden, ]^Iinnie Hill ; inside guardian, Allie Aller-
dice; outside guardian, J. H. McRae; chaplain, Nettie Coulter; right sup-
porter to noble grand, Florence Ulsh; left supporter to noble grand,
Rachel Siebert ; organist, Mildred Edinborough ; right supporter to vice-
grand, Jessie AUerdice ; left supporter to \-ice-grand, Nellie Boling.

The present officers are: Noble grand, Julia C. Hewitt; secretary and
treasurer, Ella Heathman ; vice-grand, Molly Scott.

The membership at January, 1917. was fifteen.



>v^



O MARSriAI.L COUNTY. KANSAS.



The Kehekahs at I'ranklort were organized December 27, ^f><)'/. The
ortieers were: Ophelia Bh'ss, noble grand; Rmma Poor, vice-grand; Jennie
Piatt, secretary; Allie McAlinimyv, treasnrer; Minnie Parks, conductress;
P)elle Pefler. warden. The otlicers for kjij are: Mary Warnica, noble grand;
lulith A[yers, vice grand; Adah bladd, secretary; Minnie Cook, treasurer;
Ella \\'ray, conductress; June Bliss, warden. The present membership is
fifty-six.

Axtell Lodge No. 144. meets tirst and third Tuesday in the Odd Fellows
hall. Myrtle Rush. mAAe grand; Rowena Livingston, secretary.

KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS.

Blue \'alley Lodge No. 182, Knights of Pythias, at Marysville, was
instituted March 4, 18S9. on the evening of the day that Benjamin Harrison
was inaugurated President of the United States. .Sam Kimble, deputy grand
chancellor, of Manhattan, Kansas, was the instituting officer and he was ably
assisted by members of Knights of Pythias lodges from his own and other
towns in this ^■icinity.

The membership of the new- lodge comprised William Barks, past
chancellor; E. L. Aliller. chancellor commander; E. D. White, vice-chancellor;
Robert Campbell, prelate; A. M. Billingsley, keeper of records and seal;
John B. Logan, master of finance; E. G. Draheim, master of exchecjuer;
Erank A. Arand, master at arms; G. Philip Schmidt, inner guard; Nickolas
Grauer, outer guard; L. W. Libby, .Andrew Eluhrer and Dr. J. K. Julian,
trustees. The others were Herman Selz, Clark M. Stewart, Samuel Eorter,
John Lonergan. Henry E. Wiedemeyer, Max Schreiber, John Luedders, A.
J. Becht, E. B. Gatchell, Ed. E. Tracy. G. Messall, E. J. Eehrenkamp, Robert
J. Jordan, W. T. Ecks and Charles D. Schmidt.

Of these, E. D. White. Erank A. Arand, Clark M. Stewart, Samuel
Eorter. Llenry E. Wiedemeyer, John B. Logan, John Luedders, E. G. Dra-
heim. Xickolas Grauer, and G. Philip Schmidt are still members of this same
lodge. The others liave either moved away or have passed to the great
beyond.

The present membership of this lodge is thirty-five with the following
officers: Chancellor commander. O. A. Smith; vice-chancellor, J. AA^ Rus-
sell; prelate. William Kraemer ; keeper of records and seal, J. A. C. Luedders;
master of finance, John B. Logan; master of exchequer, E. G. Drahenn ;
master at amis, George T. Mohrbacher ; master of work, E. J. Olson ; inner
guard, W. E. Draheim ; outer guard, E. D. White.



MARSHALL COL'NTY, KANSAS. 35 1

Solitaire Lodge No. 245, Knights of Pythias, at Blue Rapids, was organ-
ized February 25, 1907, with twenty-one charter members.

The present officers are : Fred L. Stauffer, chancellor commander ; A.
A. Marvin, vice commander ; C. W. Moser, prelate ; W. J. Burr, master of
work ; G. A. Johnson, keeper of records and seal and master of finance ;
C. E. Cummings, master of exchequer; Seward H. Wohlferal, master
at arms: R. L. Blaker, inner guard; A. J. Brice, outer guard.

Meetings are held on second and fourth Thursdays of each month.

Welcome Lodge No. 112. Knights of Pythias, was organized at Cen-
tralia, Kansas, August -14, 1884, Joseph L. Rogers being the only charter
member from Vermillion. This order continued in Centralia until January,
1887, when it was removed to Vermillion, \\ith Joseph L. Rogers as chancellor
commander. The meetings were held upstairs in a building owned by Mr.
Duffy. Later, this order furnished the hall, \vhich was one of the best
ecjuipped in tiie state. Lack of interest caused them to surrender the charter
in iQof). Joseph L. Rogers and Marion Duffy hold membership in Sapphire
lodge at L'ving. F. W. Arnold and Marcus Leonard transferred to the
Axtell lodge.

Sapphire Lodge No. 158, Knights of Pythias, was instituted in Irving
in November, i8qi, with the following charter members: A. J. Carlson,
Theo. Gaylord, G. H. Giles. J. M. McCoy, L'a Sabins, S. J. Skoch, P. L.
Preston, R. S. Weeks, H. C. Lathrop, J. S. Waterson, C. L. Meyers, R. H.
Swanson, R. A. Harvey, J. J. Kropacek, C. S. Otis, A. H. Reed, W. M.
McCoy. Hugh Thompson, Edwin Reddington. Harry Baird, J. W. John-
son. L. C. Trustan and Charles Proctor. The lodge has been organized
for twentv-five years and has always been able to discharge its duties to
grand lodge, thanks to the untiring efforts of A. J. Carlson and Hugh Thom-
son.

Li February, 19 13, Mrs. C. M. Palmer built and gave to Sapphire lodge
the beautiful Castle Hall, which is the pride of the members and the town
of Irving. The hall is a two-story building, with the reading room, audi-
torium, kitchen and dining room on the first floor; the second floor has the
large and handsome lodge room, bedrooms and property room. Adjoining
the building is a beautiful park, also the gift of Mrs. Palmer. The building
has its own light plant, from which the park and building are lighted. Mrs.
Palmer was personally acquainted with J. H. Rathbone, the founder of the
order of Knights of Pythias.



35- iMAKSllALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Sapphire lodge has a membership (^f eighty, and in 191 7 Carl E. Peter-
son holds the office of grand inner guard of the grand domain of Kansas. The
present officers are as follow: David Donahue, chancellor commander; R. J.
Denton, vice commander; Theo. Gaylord, prelate; Fred Kautz, keeper of
records and seal and master of finance; B. W. Forbes, master of exchequer;
D. C. Cooper, master at arms; J. W. Elliott, inside guard; G. W. Duffy,
outside guard; H. Huffmeir, master of work.

ANCIENT ORDER UNITED WORKMEN.

This lodge was organized on September 15, 1880, at Alarysville, with
sixteen charter members. The first officers were : A. E. Parks, past master
workman; J. B. Logan, master w'orkman ; J. Brown, financier; C. W. Thomp-
son, outer watchman: \\\ S. Glass, overseer; W. B. Scamman, recorder: C.
H. Goelitzer, receiver. AIemi>ers : H. E. Wiedemeyer, M. S. Shepard, J. F.
Renoe and E. G. Draheim. The present officers are : Past master work-
man. John H. Smith; master workman. W. G. Bickell ; foreman, W. D.
Hover; overseer, G. C. Butler; recorder. John B. Logan; financier, C. F.
Reinders; treasurer, E. G. Draheim; guide, Alf. Ellis; inner watchman, Hy.
Stauf: outer watchman, Jos. Schmalz; medical examiner, W. D. Patterson,
]\I. D. ; representative, G. C. Butler ; alternate, C. F. Reinders.

Lodge No. 33, Frankfort, was organized on April 12, 1880. The
charter members were : W. H. Clutter, P. C. Garvin, H. H. Lourey,' J. L.
Davis, T. W. Waddick, G. C. Brownell, W. H. Auld, J. R. Voorhees,
George O. Coffin, W. T. Dwinnell. The officers for 1917 are: G. D.
Curry, master workman; A. B. Scadden, foreman; W. D. Auld, recorder;
T. W. Snodgrass, financier; W. J. Gregg, receiver; O. P. Rosencrans, guard;
A. Farrant, inner workman : Frank Auld, outer workman ; ]\L A. Brawley,
medical examiner.

Waterville Lodge No. 57, Ancient Order of United Workmen, was
chartered on September 6, 1880, with the following members and first officers:
G. S. Hall, past master workman; H. E. Parmenter, master workman; H.
Humfreville, financier; C. F. Scouten, overseer; A. Kunz, recorder; F.
Gaver, foreman; F. H. Bancroft, receiver; W. R. Wilson, guide; T. Dockerty,
inner watchman ; F. Pieral, outer watchman. Present officers : G. W. Casey,
master W'Orkman; H. C. Willson, recorder; J. R. Edwards, financier. Pres-
ent membership, forty-one. Lodge meets second and fourth Saturdays of
each month, in Fraternity Hall.







S5



-<


P




M




w




^




ffi




H




«




O




Z




H




ffi




H




fc




O




73




J




<JJ




§


. 4)


z




<3




p


■C tH


1— (




^


< K




0)




-^ CO




2:i




^-D




r-i




-O rt




c




cS C




.5^




fl to








M be




tn r-








>g





MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 353

Axtell Lodge No. 202, meets first, third and fifth Saturday in Odd
Fellows hall. D. L. Funk, master workman; W. M. Moore, recorder.

'MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA.

Blue Rapids Camp No. 944, Modern Woodmen of America, was organ-
ized in the spring of 1889, although the official charter was not issued until
October i, 1889. The first officers were: William Allerdice, venerable con-
sul; W. J. McNab, worthy advisor; J. O. Buell, banker; George M. Garrison,
clerk ; Horace Beardsley, escort ; W. Y. Brown, watchman ; S. Y. Richey,
sentry; Doctors Fillmore and Hunter, local physicians; J. B. Vincent, A.
D. Hoag and C. D. Richard, managers. The following other charter mem-
bers are still living and are members of this camp : John Avis, C. L. Gar-
rison, C. K. McHarg, G. L. Nichols and Jason Yurann.

The present officers of the camp are: E. F. Dewey, venerable consul; J.
D. Sieh, worthy advisor; S. W. Gilson, banker; L. B. Tibbetts, clerk; E. E.
Oswalt, watchman; Thomas Reedy, sentry; David Irvine, escort; Byron
Weeks, C. N. Rodgers and H. C. Lathrap, trustees ; A. L. Loban, past consul.

The charter members and officers of the Modern Woodmen lodge of
Frankfort were : J. L. Waterson, consul ; Glen A. Smith, worthy advisor ;
George F. Poor, banker; J. A. Weston, clerk; D. H. Wood, escort; M. W.
Taylor, watchman; M. A. Brawley, physician. The officers for 1917 are:
J. H. Rand, consul; James Welsh, worthy advisor; T. W. Snodgrass,
banker; C. W. Blodgett, clerk; R. C. Mackey, escort; M. A. Brawley, Sr.,
physician; Mike Ferris, watchman; Eugene Gough, sentry.

Prairie Grove Camp No. 1497, meets second and fourth Friday in
T. O. O. F. hall, Axtell. C. J. Manley, venerable consul ; James Rush, clerk.

ROYAL NEIGHBORS OF AMERICA.

Nightingale Camp No. 498, Royal Neighbors of America, at Marysville,
was chartered January 19, 1897, "^vith twenty members. The following officers
were elected: Oracle, Mrs. Kate Hatfield; vice-oracle, Mrs. Mary Funck;
recorder, Mamie Libby ; receiver, Minerva Seely ; chancellor, Hattie E. Lynde ;
marshal, Mrs. Mary Stewart; physician, Dr. W. R. Breeding; inner sentinel,
Mrs. Carrie Fleischman; managers, Mrs. Martha Simmons, May Hartmaii
and Helena Samter ; past oracle, Martha Simmons.

(23)



354 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

The present officers are: Mrs. Ella White, oracle; Mrs. Minnie
Wendele, vice-oracle; Mrs. Emma \\^ecker, chancellor; Mrs. Gertrude Scott,
recorder; ■Mrs. Mary von Riesen, receiver; Mrs. Bertha Reber, marshal; Mrs.
Lizzie Liichtman, inner sentinel ; Mrs. Annie Zentz, outer sentinel ; Mrs.
Getta ]\Iorris and Mrs. Carrie Fleischman, managers.

Oketo Lodge of the Royal Neighbors was organized on December 9,
189G. in the Moore Hall, with twenty members. The first officers were:
Oracle, ^Irs. Fanny B. Stein; vice oracle, Mrs. Laura Balderson ; chancellor,
Mrs. Triplett ; marshal, Mrs. Alice Chambers ; recorder, Mrs. Belle Long ;
receiver, Mrs. Lizzie Hedge; inner sentinel, Mrs. Mary Bach; outer sentinel,
Mrs. Etta Chambers; managers, Mrs. Allen, Miss Mae Esterbrook, Ira B.
Hedge.

The present officers are: Oracle, Mrs. Amanda Root; vice oracle, Mrs.
Cynthia Brubaker ; chancellor, Mrs. Lavina Moore ; marshal, Mrs. Hettie
Elliott; recorder, Mrs. Belle Long; inner sentinel, Mrs. Emma Munson;
outer sentinel, Mrs. Eythel Cowell ; physician. Dr. Wood ; managers, Mrs.
Hattie Eley, Mrs. Lavina Watson and Mrs. Eliza Joseph. The present
membership is thirty-nine.

There is a thriving camp of the Royal Neighbors at Vermillion, with the
following officers : Oracle, Mrs. Ida Duffy ; vice-oracle, Tressie Hybskman ;
past oracle, Mrs. J. O. Puntney; recorder, Mrs. Edith Leonard; receiver,
Tinnie Malcolm : chancellor, Mrs. Augusta Gruby ; marshal, Mrs. P-each
Duffy ; inner sentinel, Mrs. O. O. Steckles ; outer sentinel, Mrs. C. E. Ijames.

Fern Camp No. 540, Royal Neighbors, Blue Rapids, was instituted on
February 17, 1895, with thirty-five charter members.

The first officers were : Oracle, Elnora Gilson ; vice-oracle, Nettie
Coulter; recorder, Ella I. Heathman ; receiver, Emma Benedict; chancellor,
Jeannie W. Yarrick; marshal, Annie Watkins; assistant marshal Julia C.
Hewitt; physicians, Drs. Elnora Gilson and R. S. Fillmore; inner sentinel,
Ada L. Fillmore; outer sentinel, Martha McRae; past oracle, Nettie W.
Barlow.

The present officers are : Oracle. Nettie Coulter ; vice-oracle, Sudah
Woolley ; past oracle, Zella Rogers ; recorder, Mary Patterson ; receiver, Daisy
Baraclough; chancellor, Annie Watkins; marshal, Lucy Murrell ; physician.
Doctor Fillmore; managers, Ella Heathman, Daisy Roache, Nina Baldwin.

At January, 191 7, the number of members was thirty-nine.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 355

Winifred Royal Neighbor Camp was organized November i, 191 2.
Charter members : Margaret Adams, Inez Barrett, Anna M. Carver, Mar-
garet A. Twidwell, Cora L. Dierking, Margaret Feldhausen, Josephine
Griffee, Ella Alartin, Cora L. Mathews, Sarah Patzka, Maud Rakestraw,
Bertha Rakestraw, Maud Smith, Minnie Carver, Bertha Flinn, Lois G. Tilley,
Ada Tilley, Emma Tilley, Sarah Snow, Annette Walker, Jennie Williams,
Anna Twidwell.

First of Officers : Oracle, Miss Cora Mathews ; vice-oracle, Mrs. Anna
Twidwell; past oracle, Mrs. Margaret Feldhausen; chancellor, Mrs. Emma
Tilley; recorder. Bertha Rakestraw; marshal, Inez Barrett; assistant mar-
shal, Lois Tilley; inner sentinel, Maud Rakestraw; outside sentinel, Cora
Dierking.

Officers 1917: Oracle, Ella Martin; vice-oracle, Ora Nelms; past
oracle, Clara Waymire ; chancellor, Sarah Snow ; recorder, Lena Denlinger ;
receiver, Maud Smith ; marshal, Minnie Carver ; assistant marshal, Ida
Tangeman; inner sentinel, Jennie Jurk; outer sentinel, Anna Stromer;
managers. Marguerite Adams, Ella R. Solt and Inez Barrett ; physicians,
Doctors Brawley, Brady and Shumway. The camp has thirty-two bene-
ficiary members and six social members.

Concord Camp No. 1088, Royal Neighbors of America, was instituted
on August 2, 1898, by Mrs. McDavis. The charter was granted on August
15, 1898.

The first officers were : Oracle, Leona Kern ; vice-oracle, Emma
McMichaels ; recorder, Effie Arnold ; receiver, Ida Duffy ; chancellor, Maggie
Bullard; marshal, Edith Leonard; inner sentinel, Celia Bailey; outer sentinel,
Mary Card ; manager, Hattie Thompkins ; physician, H. L. Bullard.

Aleetings are held in Masonic Hall every second and fourth Tuesdays
of each m.onth. This is a very popular beneficiary order and always has a
good live membership.

Valentine Camp No. 843, meets first and third Friday in Odd Fellows
hall, Axtell. Katherine McCleary, oracle; Lucinda Allen, secretary.

KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF SECURITY.

Blue Rapids Council No. 66, Knights and Ladies of Security, was
organized on February 20, 1894, at Blue Rapids.

The charter officers were : President, James Allerdice ; vice-president,



356 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

]\Irs. Jennie Yarick; second vice-president, ]\Irs. Belle Hamilton; prelate,
William R. Lewis; secretary, Mrs. Ella Hunt; financier, C. A. Axtel; treas-
urer. I. D. ^'arick ; guard, John L. Hamiltnn ; sentinel, Horace S. Beardsley;
trustees, .A. W. Aniotl. George Gallup and M. Patterson.

The present officers are: President, H. V. Austin; vice-president, Jen-
nie M. Loban; second vice-president, Guy S. Kidd; prelate, Alta M. Lock-
ard ; financier, Gertrude Kelly ; secretary, Da. H. Cox ; conductor, Faye Cox ;
sentinel, Mary Seeley; guard, Carl Strand. Present membership, two hun-
dred and twenty-eight.

The order of Kniglits and Ladies of Security was organized at Ver-
million in 1893, witli Dr. Leonidas Pampel as the first president. The
organization was snjall, but owing to the strong efforts of Doctor Pampel
and \\\ H. De W'alt. it grew from a membership of seven to a present mem-
bership of one hundred and fifteen.

IMcReynolds Council No. 152 was organized at Beattie in September,
1894, with twenty-five charter members. In January, 191 7, the member-
ship was two hundred and three. The president is John Chidester ; secretary,
Margaret E. Willis.

Axtell Council No. 230 meets every second and fourth Tuesday in
L O. O. F. hall. Harriet Hurlbut, president; Lou Brawner, secretary.

KNIGHTS OF HONOR.

The Knights of Honor was organized at Vermillion on September 13,
1892, with J. L. Mathers, commander; G. W. Kelley. recorder and W. S.
Domer, treasurer. There were fifteen members in the organization, which
later disbanded and took membership elsewhere.

DEGREE OF HONOR.

Garden Lodge No. 21, Degree of Honor, was organized on March 5,
1886, with the following officers: Miss Belle Throm, lady of honor; Mrs.
R. D. Gerow, chief of honor; Mrs. M. S. Shepard, chief of ceremonies; J.
B. Logan, recorder; G. H. Goelitzer, financier; E. G. Draheim, receiver; Mrs.
Gus Luhrs, usher ; George Reber, inside watch ; William Henry, outside watch.

The present officers are : Effie Henry, chief of ceremonies ; Dora Dra-
heim, chief of honor; Anna Leifheit, lady of honor; John Logan, recorder;



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 357

Emil Draheim, receiver-treasurer; Delia Faulkner, past chief of honor; Mary
Schramm, usher ; Caroline Reinders, outside watch ; Alary E. Cudney, inside
watch.

KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS.

Marysville Council 1777, Knights of Columbus, is an organization of
Catholic men whose object is to promote Catholic education and charity, to
furnish aid to families of deceased members through its insurance depart-
ment : to promote patriotism by proper observation of national patriotic days
and anniversaries, and to support and encourage every movement which tends
to better citizenship.

Mai*ysville council was organized on February 7, 1914, by James Bar-
low with fifty charter members. The first officers were : Grand knight,
James Barlow; deputy grand knight, Joseph Dwerlkottee; financial secretary,
J. H. Cavanaugh ; treasurer, M. J. Treinen, Jr. ; recording secretary, Joseph
Schulte; warden, Ferdinand Wassenberg; chancellor, John Tracy; advocate,
P. G. Wadham ; inner guard, J. F. Martin ; outer guard, August Wassen-
berg; trustees, D. J. Donahy, M. Barlow, Jr., and A. J. Travelute.

The present officers are : Grand Knight, J. Dwerlkottee ; deputy grand
knight, John Sampson ; financial secretary, J. H. Cavanaugh ; treasurer, M.
J. Treinen. Jr. ; chancellor, Franke Scholte ; lecturer, Joseph Schulte ; warden,
Nic. Reiter ; inner guard, George Cooper; outer guard, J. Barlow; past grand
knight. James Barlow ; trustees, ^V. J. Travelute, John Armstrong and D. J.
Donahy.

Fitzgerald Council No. 1144, Lillis. This was the first council organized
in Marshall county. The present officers are : James Morrissey, grand
knight ; James A. Keating, deputy grand knight ; J. P. Redmond, financial
accretary; T. J. Smith, treasurer; George Heft'ern, recorder; Mike Lally,
warden ; P. J. Dougherty, chancellor ; J. W. Hayes, inner guard ; James Mc-
Garry, outer guard ; Rev. Fl. Fitzgerald, chaplain ; trustees, Matt Kennedy,
George McCarty and Edward Brown.

Lillis Co'uncil No. 1163, Axtell. Frank A. Scanlan, grand knight; D
F. Meara, financial secretary.

The present officers of Annunciation Council No. 1383 of Frankfort
are as follows: H. I. Lierz, grand knight; R. H. Mackey, deputy grand
knight ; W. J. Gregg, financial secretary ; William Alelcher, recording secre-
tary ; James Kennedy, chancellor ; J. H. Ryan, warden ; Rev. C. A. Bradley,



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 32 of 104)