Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 33 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 33 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

lecturer and chaplain ; William Ahern, inner guard ; John Ahern, outer guard.



The Fraternal Aid Union at Frankfort was organized in Septeml>er, 1896.
The memhers were : George H. Ferguson, Robert S. McGhie, Annette
Taylor, W. W. Taylor, Rodenna WilHams, James M. Lane, T. Brodt, Frank
D. Bhss, Thomas C. Horr, Clemens T. Hessell, Matt McKeon, Adelia C.
Taylor, William J. Granger, Cora E. Granger, Fred A. Garvin, Edward
C. Healey. The present officers are: W. H. Snodgrass, president; P. J.
Spillman, past president ; F. D. Bliss, vice-president ; G. R. Carver, secre-
tary; Rodenna Williams, chaplain; Kate Snodgrass, guide; Jeannette Loury,
outer guard; Frank Rundel, treasurer; R. S. McGhie, steward.


The Triple Tie Benefit Association, of Blue Rapids (now known as
Fraternal Aid Union No. 759) was instituted on April 11, 1897, with forty-
one charter members.

The first officers were : President, Fred A. Stocks ; vice-president, Mrs.
Frances Strong ; past president, Z. T. Trumbo ; secretary, George Coulter ;
conductor, Julia M. Cheney; treasurer, E. A. Garrison; chaplain, Horace
Beardsley ; inner sentinel, Ira Jewell ; guard, A. B. Wagor ; physician. Doc-
tor Plehn.

The present officers are : President, Carrie E. Haskell ; vice-president,
Verona Lower; past president, Ella Grabhorn; secretary, Ella L Heathman;
treasurer, E. F. Dewey; chaplain, Sarah A. Burr; guide, Jennie Jackson;
captain, Jno. Scott; inner guard, Mary Scott; outer guard, E. Ervin.

At January, 191 7. the membership stood at ninety-six.


Meets every fourth Wednesday in the Odd Fellows hall, Axtell. M. L.
Griffin, president; John Murray, secretary.

Other organizations at Irving are the Farmers Union, with H. L. Stiles,
president; J. M. Layton, vice-president; J. C. Shepard, secretary.

■ Fraternal Union — A. J. Pifer, president; Grace Smith, secretary.

Knights and Ladies of Security — N. W. Sabin, president; W. W. Ded-
rick, financier; H. McMillan, secretary; F. Thompson, first vice-president;
J. C. Shepard, second vice-president.


Independent Order of Odd Fellows — Theron Van Scoter, noble grand;
John Bromwell, vice-grand; B. W. Forbes, secretary; J. F. Dawkins, treas-


Robert Hale Post Xo. 328, Grand Army of the Republic, Avas organized
at Blue Rapids, June 18, 1884, with twenty-one charter members.

The post was named in honor of Robert Hale, the first soldier who fell
in line of battle from Blue Rapids township. Robert Hale was killed at
the battle of Chickamauga.

The following were charter members: F. M. Riddle, William Sharp,
Anderson Moore, James W^inter, John McPherson. M. McQuinney, John
Brown, D. Fairbanks. B. F. Adams, M. B. Cole, J. E. Grover, J. F. Lane.
Thomas E. Marcy, A. \V. Kimball, G. Shermer, James Allerdice, William
H. Strange, David Bear. J. O. Wheeler and M. Patterson.

The present members of the post are : A. W. Beacham, post com-
mander: Tvan Burnett, senior vice-commander; A. H. Neal, junior vice-
commander ; Peter Burnett, quartermaster : Dr. F. M. Thomas, adjutant ;
Frank Francis, officer of the day ; W^illiam Kerber. officer of the guard : Will-
iam Strange. A. W. Gibson, James Warriner, J. O. Wheeler, John McPherson.

Chase Post No. 10 1, Grand Army of the Republic, at Beattie, was
organized July 28, 1882, with the following charter members and officers:
Dr. J. J. Sheldon, post commander; J. Johnson, senior vice-commander; H.
H. Helverin, junior vice-commander; William Schiller, quartermaster; H. C.
vSmith. surgeon; John Crabb, chaplain: J. V. Schleigh, officer of the day;
W. C. Thompson, officer of the guard: S. Willis, adjutant; N. V. Culover,
quartermaster sergeant; M. A. Tucker, sergeant major.

The present members are : J. R. Wilcox, post commander ; M. A.
Tucker, senior vice-commander: O. Kingman, junior vice-commander; W.
S. Willis, adjutant; W. J. Helvering, quartermaster; D. Hine, A. Robinson,
John Crabb and William Lord. The post meets regularly and observes with
care the ceremonies of Memorial and Decoration Day and, though its ranks
are thinning, the graves of their comrades who have gone before are carefully
decorated each succeeding 30th of May.

Henderson Post, Grand Army of the Republic, Frankfort, was organized
on April 26, 1882. The charter members were: P. C. Garvin, H. M. Pidco,
L. V. B. Taylor, T. J. Snodgrass. C. B. Haslett. S. B. Todd. Joseph Wallace,


J. W. Brown, George H. Francis, T. D. Alagatagan, Ben Coflland. H. G.
Trosper, Joseph Miller. O. S. Leslie, j. ]. Calnan, A. J. AIcKee, M. Hoh-
man. H. M. Wade, Thomas McKinley, W. 1\ luans, J. W. Watson, \V. H.
Snodgrass and M. Bowers.

The following are the officers for the year 1917: M. K. Thomas, com-
mander; D. B. W'alker. senior vice-commander; Thomas Bisbing, junior vice-
commander; George R. Carver, adjutant; Jacob North, quartermaster; P.
Duckworth, officer of the day ; Thomas J. Farrar, chaplain ; Pat. Mont-
gomery, guard.

Axtell Post No. 253, Grand Army of the Republic, was chartered on
July 10, 1883.

The following w^ere the charter members ; W. M. Lucas, John M.
Brown, T. C. Casterline. John Gordon, T. H. Scott, H. C. Layton, J. S.
Wood ; C. C. McKinley, J. P. Minard, G. A. Ely, Jesse Axtell, G. L. Barnes,
J. R. Ash, Levi Burden, George Sharp, W. R. Lewas and J. R. Curtis : Three
comrades of the Grand Army of the Republic, were instrumental in having
the post organized: T. H. Scott, George Ely and Rev. J. M. Brown. Many
of the charter' members have joined the hosts on "the other shore." Thomas
H. Scott and William Allender are members of the post. The duties of
Memorial and Decoration Day are carefully observed, and a few years ago
the post erected a cannon in the cemetery in memory of deceased comrades.

A post of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized in Vermillion
in June, 1883. The first commander was J. W. Kinney. The meetings
were held in Presbyterian church and later in the William Zink building.
But few- of the veterans still live in Vermillion. Decoration Day is observed
with appropriate exercises.

woman's relief corps.

Robert Hale Corps No. 172 w^as organized at Blue Rapids on February
28, 1888, with the following charter members: Emma McPherson, Annette
Riddle. Louise Benedict. Lucy Stiffler, Mary Bivins, Emeline Axtell, Christen
Axelson, Mary McOuinney, Sarah Jewell. Ida Axtell, Albertine Myres,
Laura Towell, Mahala Cox, Elizabeth Fairbanks, Mary E. Marcy and Delia

The officers for 1917 are: President, Carrie Haskell; senior vice-
president, Amelia Thorrman ; junior vice-president, Louisa Craft ; treasurer,


Annice B. Tibl^etts ; chaplain, Mahala Cox ; conductor. Alice Gibson ; guard,
Sarah Warriner ; secretary, Ella Grabhorn.

The membership at January, IQT7, was seventeen.

The Henderson Woman's Relief Corps, at Frankfort, was organized on
April 10, 1891, with twenty-four charter members as follow: Lou Smith,
Laura Grow, Amanda Horr, Nettie Walker, Winifred Holtham, Rebecca
McConchie, Olive Ewart, Jennie Gurner, Jennie Thomas, Olive Boyer, Nancy
McMinimy, Mattie Shaw, Nettie Taylor, Alsetta Collins, Lucy Campbell,
Melissa A. Haslett, Anna Brawley, L. G. Dover, Cherry Peters, Alida Shu-
mate, Sarah Ileadington, Loraine Pickett, ?klattie Goodnight, Winifred
Walker. The first officers were : President. Lou Smith ; senior vice-presi-
dent, Laura Grow; junior vice-president, Winifred Holtham; secretary,
Mattie Goodnight; treasurer, Nettie Walker, chaplain, Alida Shumate; con-
ductor. Cherry E. Peters ; guard, Rebecca McConchie ; assistant conductor,
Amanda Horr; assistant guard, x-\lsetta Collins.

The present officers are: President, Ophelia M. Bliss; senior vice-presi-
dent, Mrs. S. R. Rciyniond: junior vice-president, G. A. Coxley ; treasurer,
Jennie Thomas ; conductor, Hester Davis ; press correspondent, June J. Bliss ;
assistant conductor, Anna Radcliffe ; assistant guard, E. A. McElrov ; chap-
lain, Elizabeth Whiting; secretar}', Emma Morse; patriotic instructor, Mary
Scholtz; color bearers: No. i, Jennie Brodbeck; No. 2, Hannah Taylor;
No. 3, Margaret Hopkins; No. 4, Etta McKee.

It is worthy of note that Ophelia Bliss served this corps as president
from 1895 to 1898 and from 191 j to 1917. and is the present president.
Emma L. Morse served as secretary from 1909 and has been re-appointed
for the year 191 7.

The Axtell Woman's Relief Corps No. 206, was organized on May 3,
19 10, by Cora M. Deputy, department president, Woman's Relief Corps,
with the following charter members : Ivy Farrar, Nettie M. Scott,
Lillian Farrar, Maggie Saff, Permelia Scott, Martha Farrar, Martha Gaston,
Margaret Stout, Belle Pierce, Stella Harrison, Lena Phillips, Eugenia Ream,
Lila Egan, Carrie Brawner, Emma Nork, Euphemia Strayer, Ella L. Scott,
Ida AI. Kerr, Lizzie Yauslin, Mamie Rabe, Harriett Hurlburt, Ida Nork,
Minnie Bird, Rose Martin, Florence Simpson.

The present officers are : President, Nettie Scott ; senior vice-president,
Lucindia Allen; chaplain, Martha Farrar; treasurer, Lila Manley; secre-
tary, Stella Harrison; conductor, Bessie Harrison.



Allison Circle, Ladies of the G. A. R., at Vermillion, was organ-
ized on January 18, 1902. and named in honor of F. W. Allison, who was
a member of the post at that time. Miss Gertrude Harris was the first presi-


Vermillion Camp No. 64, Sons of Veterans, was organized on June 19,
1886, with eighteen charter members — James \X. Jellison, captain. This
camp had the distinction of having the first uniformed camp in the state.
It was a live organization until 1895, ^vhen it ceased to exist.

The Ladies Aid Auxiliary to the Sons of Veterans was organized about
1890 and existed for a year. The first president was Mrs. A. D. Crooks;
vice-president, Carrie Arnold : secretary, Anna Calnan ; treasurer, Mrs. Ruby.


The Young J\Ien's Christian Association at V^ermillion was organized in
1914. Dr. F. B. Sheldon l^eing the first president; Virgil Nash, vice-president;
Virgil Russell, secretary; Howard Bowsers, treasurer.


The Woman's Christian Temperance Union at Vermillion was organ-
ized in April, 1914, Mrs. Joseph Lockwood Rogers being the first president:
Lillian Weeks, secretary, and Amy Nauman, treasurer.

Mrs. Anna De Walt, of Vermillion, was county president of the
Woman's Christian Temperance Union during 191 5.


By Dr. Robert Hawkins.

When the permanent white settlers in what is now Marshall county,
gathered on the banks of. the Big Blue river, about twelve miles south of the
Nebraska line, around Frank Marshall's ferry and his little trading store,
they found that they had many topics which to them were important and
upon which they could not always agree.


All through the fifties the gathering storm which in the sixties broke
into the War of the Rebellion, cast the shadow of its clouds over this little
group of the advance guard of the growing civilization.

Here we had the pro- and anti-slaver ; here the strong follower of Jefifer-
son and his "States Rights" belief, was neighbor to his opponent; here all
shades of religious belief and church formalities, from the ardent follower
of the leader at Rome to the most fanatic "protestor," associated with the

After the War of the Rebellion the young hot-headed Northern soldier,
heated by the fires of victory and the gray-haired farmer, with his large
familv of boys and his well-developed bump of conservatism, came with the
floating adventurer to find a home among the Southern members of the
Palmetto Town Site Company.

In the late sixties and early seventies, hundreds of foreigners flocked
here from Canada and northern Europe. This mixture was to be remolded
from a common melting pot into modern Americanism.


The centers around which clustered the sacred and time-honored ties of
families, clans, customs, and institutions of all foreign peoples and countries
must be forgotten. When one by one we each, of our own free will and
accord, appeared before the district court and asked for admission into this
amalgamation, that we might share on terms of equality with our new neigh-
bor the advantages of this newly-cemented union, we. who were of foreign
birth, turned our backs upon our former homes and pledged our support
to a common cause here. We entered into a solemn covenant to support and
defend all that is symbolically represented by the stars and colors of the
national flag. Among this motley throng we find a few master Masons.

A few more had taken claims and were farmers in the southeast part
of the county. Those men all soon became acquainted and bound together
by the teachings which they had received concerning the basic principles of
the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. If the individual is
found worthy, each in his own way becomes an influence in the molding of
the growing county, by directing "tlie sacred longings that arise which this
world never satisfies."

They knew that modern Freemasonry is one of the many helps designed
to guide the earnest traveler on his journey in search of that which will


satisfy. They also knew that nio'leni Freemasonry is fonnded on those
basic principles wliich tend to make good men to l)e better citizens and better


These few scattered master Masons, who came from all points of the
compass and from many nationalities, saw in Masonry a fraternal organ-
ization formed along the lines of onr national Declaration of Independence.
In fact they knew that many, very many of the makers of our nation were
^lasons, and that AJasonic phraseology and thought were largely used in
that historic document. "Masonry unites men of every country, sect and
opinion and conciliates true friendship among those who might otherwise
have remained at a perpetual distance, and heart and hand join in promot-
ing each other's welfare and rejoicing in each other's prosperity." Every
candidate is required to be a believer in a Supreme Being, to have a desire
for knowledge and a sincere wish to be serviceable to his fellow men. And
he is informed that Masonry consists of a course of moral instruction ; that
it is not a religion, but is closely interwoven with it. He is admonished to
be true to his government and just to his country, not to palliate or aggravate
the offenses of others, but "in decisions on every trespass he should judge
with candor, admonish with friendship, reprehend with justice."

Although modern Freemasonry, in its present mode of organization,
dates back scarcely two hundred years ago, it was then an outgrowth 'of
what had been developing for many hundreds of years. Kilwinning lodge
in Scotland has an unbroken line of the secretaries' records back into the
fourteenth century, when it was a trade union associated with the priests
of the church.

In Gould's History of Freemasonry, pul)lished in 1904, is found this
statement :

"In the famous old Scotch Lodge of Kilwinning all the Kings of Scot-
land have l)een Grand Master Masons without interruption from the days of
Fergus, who reigned there more than three thousand years ago."

All the old charges required of every Mason a faithful support of the
church. The symbolic teachings and direct admonitions today in all lodges,
direct the Masonic student to seek a closer knowledge of his relationship to
his Maker and his own destiny.

That the reader may better understand what Masonry is today it will
be well to know that it is for good reasons represented by a secret organ-
ization. Outsiders may be divided into three classes — its friends, who have
a favorable opinion ; a second class, which neither knows nor cares anything


about it, and its enemies, who know nothing about its truths and ha^■e been
misinformed about its mission.

Masonry is a progressive science, in search of knowledge and a higher
fjuaHfication in its votaries.


That the reader may gain a clear conception of what Masonry is and
why it was organized in Marshall county, it is well to know that the basic
principles of its teachings are as old as human intelligence. That among
other things, it has always stood for the freedom of the oppressed as expressed
in the Magna Charta of England and the Declaration of Independence of
the American colonies and has met with opponents and enemies wherever
the oppressor is found. Thinking man has, through all the ages of the past
repeatedly asked of his intelligent neighbor, "From whence came you and
whither are }ou traveling." There has usually been an answer, but it has
not usually been entirely to the satisfaction of the thinking inquirer. The
practical, active history-making Roman of two and three thousand years
ago, was not entirely satisfied with the teachings of the priests and the
services of the vestal virgins in the temples of the national gods. In their
conquests they adopted all that they found and considered w^orthy in the
provinces, and erected temples for the services of the gods of the provinces.
In all this they were in search of that which had been lost, and were supply-
ing a substitute.


"/// Jioc sigiio riiiccs', "In this sign, concjuer", Constantine, in despera-
tion, placed on his war banner with the Christian cross and won the battle
of the Milvian Bridge near Rome and changed the future history of Europe,
thus making the Christian cross another symbolic substitute for that which
was lost. The old philosophers among the ancient Athenians, in an attempt
to answer this same question, erected temples to all the known gods, but not
being satisfied they built one more and dedicated it to the unknown god.

The ancient EgN^ptians applied to their kind, affectionate, home-loving
Osiris and Isis ; the Scandinavian turned to his fierce Thor and his associates.
Awav back in the dim mists and uncertainties of old Babylon and on the
banks of the Ganges, in the mountain recesses and caves of northern India,
and over in old, sleepy China, the same questions were asked and answered


with the same unsatisfied result. IMoses, born of a slave woman but reared
in the luxury of royalty and versed in all the learning of the old Egyptians,
gave to his people an answer to these same questions in the history and
promises given to their ancestors.

In this system of an explanation and in its continuation as we have it
in the great light of Masonry, the dream of Jacob at the foot of the ladder,
the faith of Abraham on Mount Moriah and the substituted thousands of
sacrifices of Solomon, were fulfilled in the carpenter-builder's son and a new
world power had a lowly start again. Once more a new impetus was given
to the search for that which w^as lost. The Master Teacher from the hills,
after serving His Apprentice and Fellow Craft time as an operative builder,
became a Speculative Master Builder. His followers continued His teach-
ings and propagated them by His methods for more than three hundred years.

Constantine in his efforts to gain supremacy in the crumbling Empire
of Rome, placed the sacred emblem on his war banners and victory followed
victory. Constantine established himself and endowed the Christian church,
which grew in worldly power as the empire crumbled. As the church grew
it lost its originality and Europe was racked and torn by the semi-religious
and political w-ars for more than a thousand years. When the church and
the sword were united the old order, "Simon Peter, put up thy sword," was

Freemasonry, as we have had it for the last two hundred years, has
come down to us through all the vicissitudes of time as common ground on
which all the warring factions may unite on the level, if they but under-
stand its symbols.


For this reason a little band of Masons found what they needed — com-
mon orround on which thev could meet on the level after the war of the
sixties. Masonry was first promulgated on the North American continent
among the very early English colonies. The most worshipful grand master
of the ^klasons granted dispensation for several lodges in Kansas before it
was a state, and the grand lodge of Kansas was organized by representatives
from three of those lodges in Leavenw'orth on March 17, 1856. Twelve
vears later the grand master granted a dispensation on March 28, 1868, and
a lodo-e was ors^anized in tlie farmhouse of A. G. Barrett in the southeast
part of Alarshall county, near where Barrett station is now located. The
members continued to meet in the little farmhouse all summer. New mem-
bers were accepted and many visitors w^ere entertained from all parts of the
county, state and nation.



On account of the limited house conveniences the tyler was outwitted by
a woman's curiosity, and Mrs. Barrett became well schooled in the monitor
and ritual. In the fall of the same year the lodge moved to Frankfort and
for a time held their communications in one end of the new railroad depot.
The lodge furniture and equipment consisted of such pieces of freight as
could be conveniently utilized. It was a common thing to have more visitors
than members.

As the company usually came from distant points, and in some cases
it required all night and most of two days to make the round trip, it was
necessary that the lodge be opened in the "knife-and-fork" degree. The
morning following such occasion, it was the common experience of the dray-
man to deliver boxes of groceries that were light weight.

At first the master used a carpenter's clawhammer for a gavel and one
of the wardens used his pocket knife, while the other had a big spike. Elijah
Bentley, a visiting brother from Marysville, hired a carpenter to make a full
set of working tools, which he presented to the lodge.

On account of unmasonic conduct, committed by a few of the members,
this, Marshall county's first Masonic lodge, was deserted by the better ele-
ment and the charter was forfeited.

In 1877 a new lodge was organized under a new charter with the same
old name and number and Frankfort Lodge No. 97 became, and has ever
since remained, one of the prosperous and honored lodges of the county.

The first master of the old lodge was A. G. Barrett and the first master
of the present lodge was S. B. Todd, with F. J. Snodgrass, senior warden ;
E. Bradv, junior warden; S. J. McKee, treasurer; W. L. Sanders, secretary;
P. C. Carver, senior deacon; Joseph Whitley, junior deacon; H. B. Massie,

The present officers are: A. Anderson, worshipful master; H. W.
Scheld, senior warden ; W. T. .Scholtz, junior warden ; J. M. Bishop, treas-
urer ; D. A. Brodbeck, secretary; Leonard Twidwell, senior deacon; Charles
L. Andrews, junior deacon ; J. V. Hartshorn, senior steward ; Joseph Clima,
junior steward; W. W. Barrett, tyler.

The total membership of this lodge on December 31, 191 6, was eighty-



The early records of SuUoii lutlge appear tcj he rather defective, and
the exact date of its origin is uncertain. One statement says "Sutton Lodge
No. 85, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, was instituted June i, 1870,
and chartered 1870."

A historical pamphlet puhlished in 1892 says. "On No\'ember 3, 1869,
Right Worshipful John H. Brown, most worshipful grand master of the
grand lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Kansas, granted a
dispensation to Brothers Edward A. Berry, Harry C. Whistler and John D.
Wilson as Sutton Lodge U. D. at Waterville, Kansas."

The records of the grand secretary are stored at the present time, on
account of the erection of a new office building, at Topeka and proofs as
to the correct date are not now available.

Upon this point depends the proof as to where the first permanent lodge
was established in Marshall county.

In the records of the secretary of Marysville Lodge No. 91, date of
March 22, 1870, nine a. m., is this statement: "Dispensation being received,
a call was made by me to assemble the lodge, viz : Harmony Lodge U. D.
at their hall on Tuesday evening the tw'enty-second day of March at seven

Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 33 of 104)