Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 38 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 38 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


A. Hohn and E. R. Fulton.

The last oflicial statement, March 5, 1917, shows capital, $75,000; sur-
plus, $44,509.78; deposits, $805,628.69; loans, $516,035.59, and cash and
exchange, $322,988.31, with total resources, $1,000,138.47. This bank is a
United States depositary.'

EXCHANGE BANK, MARYSVILLE.

The Exchange Bank of Schmidt & Koester was established by Frank
Schmidt and Charles F. Koester in 1870 and was incorporated under the
Kansas state banking law in 1891 with a capital of $75,000.00.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 4I3

The business is now carried on by their sons, the capital stock remain-
inp; in the Schmidt and Koester famihes.

The bank has always enjoyed a steady growth and has deposits of over
$575,000, with- its capital the same and has surplus and profits of over $25,000.
Its officers and directors are as follow : President, Alex Schmidt ; vice-
president, Charles J. D. Koester; cashier, S. C. Schmidt; assistant cashiers,
G. P. Schmidt and W. M. Schmidt.

CITIZENS STATE BANK, MARYSVILLE.

The Citizens State Bank of Marysville was organized early in the year
of 1907 and opened for business on March 4, that year, with a capital of
$30,000. At the first stockholders' meeting the following directors were
elected: W. H. Smith, P. E. Laughlin, G. S. Hovey, Frank Schulte, W. S.
Tinsman, J. D. Robertson and Thomas G. Hutt, and the directors then chose
the following officers: W. H. Smith, president; G. S. Hovey, vice-president;
P. E. Laughlin, cashier and Joseph Dwerlkotte, assistant cashier.

Mr. Laughlin resigned the cashiership of the bank in 191 2 and Mr.
Dwerlkotte succeeded him in that capacity, which office he still holds.

The bank has made a steady growth ever since its organization and the
last official statement on March 15, 1917, showed surplus and undivided
profits amounting to $7,500, and deposits of $270,000. The present officers
of the bank are as follow : P. E. Laughlin. president ; Charles F. Pusch, vice-
president ; Joseph Dwerlkotte, cashier, and E. M. Carlson, assistant cashier.

MARIETTA STATE BANK.

The Marietta State Bank was chartered on May 24, 1909, as a state
bank. At the time of organization the officers were : B. R. Bull, president ;
Fred Obermeyer, vice-president, and W. L. Kirby, cashier. At the present
time the officers are : B. R. Bull, president ; Fred Obermeyer, vice-president,
and J. G. Schmidler, cashier.

The bank now has a capital stock of $10,000, with thirty-one stock-
holders; no stock changed hands in the past three years.

OKETO STATE BANK.

The Oketo State Bank was organized as a private bank on October 7,
1889, by Z. H. Moore, with a capital of $5,000, Z. H. Moore retaining the



414- MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

complete ownersliip luiiil 1809, vvhen he converted it into a state bank with
a capital of $10,000. At iliis lime Mr. Moore was the cashier and asso-
ciated witii liim as (hrectors were P. J. Eychaner, Frank L. Root, C. D.
W hite and .\. II. i:rul)akcr.

This bank has endeavored to build up a strong surplus to give to its
customers better accommodations and to make more funds available during the
lean-crop years. At the present time it has a surplus of $25,000, making the
capital and surplus $35,000.

The organizer and founder, Z. H. Moore, was actively connected with
the bank until his death on September 19, 1916, at which time he was presi-
dent.

The directors of the bank at this time are : P. J. Eychaner, L. G.
Moore, M. B. Moore, E. H. Moore and J. H. Moore. The officers are:
L. G. Moore, president ; P. J. Eychaner, vice-president ; J. H. Moore, cashier ;
Henry C. Waters, Jr., assistant cashier.

SUMMERFIELD STATE BANK.

This bank was organized in 1889 ^^ the Summerfield State Bank, which
is the name at the present date. The officers at that time were, president,
Frank Thomann ; C. G. Scrafford, cashier. The present officials are:
President, W. F. Orr; vice-presidents, George Craven, Andrew Nestor;
cashier, F. G. Bergen; assistant cashier, James Hamler.

The bank is well patronized by a fine class of depositors and business
men of the city and surrounding community and is third in line of deposits
of the twenty-eight banks in Marshall county.

FIR.ST NATIONAL BANK OF SUMMERFIELD.

The First National Bank of Summerfield, was chartered on April 6,
[917. The officials are: H. A. Berens, president; J. H. Russell, vice-presi-
dent ; William Scott, vice-]3resident ; J. P. Murray, cashier. The capital stock
is $25,000, with a surplus of $2,500.

AT VERMILLION.

The State Bank of Vermillion was organized in 1891. A. W. Slater,
president; William Acker, vice-president; P. H. Hybskman, cashier; E. W.
Hybskman, assistant cashier. Capital stock, $20,000; deposits, $70,000.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 415

AT VLIETS.

The State Bank of Vliets was organized in 1898, with a capital stock
of $10,000. The first president was W. F. Robinson, and the cashier was
George F. Walker.

The bank retains its original name and is capitalized at the same stock.
The present president is W. T. Buck and the cashier is R. F. Glick.

CITIZENS STATE BANK, WATERVILLE.

The Citizens State Bank of Waterville, was established in 1906 by Dr.
D. W. Humfreville, with a $10,000 capital. It now has $7,000 surplus, and
deposits have grown to $175,000. The bank is a member of both the State
and National Bankers Associations.

The present officers are : Dr. D. W. Humfreville, president ; J. D.
Flannery and M. Delaney, vice-presidents ; J. W. Thompson, cashier, and G.
T. Arganbright and B. R. Talbot, assistant cashiers.

MERCHANTS STATE BANK, WATERVILLE.

This l^ank began business under name of the Merchants Bank in 1882,
with Thorne & Thomas, partners. It was incorporated as the Merchants
State Bank in 1905, Chester Thomas, president; F. P. Thorne, cashier. At
present, F. P. Tliorne is president and W. P. McKelvy, cashier.

FARMERS STATE BANK, WATERVILLE.

The Farmers State Bank of Waterville was organized in 1880, with
J. H. Nelson, president; L. A. Palmer, cashier. Capital stock, $10,000;
deposits, $50,000.

STATE BANK OF WINIFRED.

The State Bank of Winifred was chartered on September 23, 1909,
with a capital stock of $20,000.

The first officers were : President, D. B. Walker ; vice-president, M. R.
Dickinson ; cashier, A. B. Walker ; clerk, Albert F. Yaussi.

The bank has made a steady growth and enjoys the patronage of the
community. Mr. A. F. Yaussi is the present cashier and Miss Florence
Yaussi, the clerk.



CHAPTER XX.
Marshall County Press.

Captain Henry King says : "The first Kansas banner was a newspaper.
It made its advent under an elm tree on the townsite of Leavenworth, Sep-
tember 15, 1854. There was not yet a house to be seen nor any definite sign
of civiHzation. It was named the Leavenivorth Herald; was pro-slavery in
sentiment, and the name of the editor was Rives Pollard. One thing may be
said of it — the true pioneer instinct appeared in its first issue, for it proposed
to lead and not to follow. This paper soon had companionship, for a goodly
crop of newspapers soon sprung up in the territory."

The establishment of the rural daily mail service has worked some hard-
ship to the country editor, since the metropolitan dailies may be delivered at
the door at little more expense than the price of the local paper. But a feeling
of neighborliness causes people to read the home news, and Marshall county
newspapers are fairly well supported.

THE PALMETTO KANSAN.

The first newspaper printed in Marshall county was called the Palfnetto
Kansan, and was published December, 1857, in a log cabin, on the site where
R. Y. Shibley's residence now stands. This cabin was supposed to be within
the limits of Palmetto, but was not, neither was it within the limits of Marys-
ville. The Palmetto Town Company owned the office and J. E. Clardy was the
editor. It was a pro-slavery organ and survived seven months, which was
about as long as the original Palmetto Town Company was active. In 1858
one Childers tried to resuscitate the paper under the name of the Marysville
Democrat, but it was again short-lived.

THE DEMOCRATIC PLATFORM.

The next paper published in Marysville was the Democratic- Platform.
P. H. Peters, R. S. Newell and E. C. Manning were editors and proprietors.
It was published as a Democratic paper a short time, when Manning became
sole proprietor and made it Republican.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 417

The building in which this paper was pubHshed was destroyed by a cyclone
and the material scattered. Peters gathered up what could be found and
resumed the publication of the paper, made it Democratic and issued it until
the war broke out in 1861.

In 1 86 1 G. D. Swearingen founded the Blue Valley Union, a Republican
paper, issued until 1863, when E. C. Manning purchased it and continued the
publication until 1866, when he removed press and material to Manhattan.

In 1862 P. H. Peters established the Constitutional Gazetteer, an ardent
pro-slavery paper, and the editorials being offensive to the citizens and soldiers,
a squad of them destroyed the office and type and the press was carried down
the river, where some parts are still in existence in an old lime-kiln. Peters
was conducted to the guard house at Leavenworth, but after a few days'
confinement, was released.

In 1864 Peters again returned to Marysville and with his father-in-law,
J. S. Magill, and F. W. Baker, established The Enterprise. This paper was
independent in politics, with strong Democratic tendencies, but later Peters
became the sole owner and the paper was rather non-partisan. It was sold
to George Crowther, of Irving, who removed the establishment to Irving.

THE LOCOMOTIVE.

In the fall of 1869 The Locomotive was established by P. H. Peters,
who issued it as an independent paper until 1876, when Thomas Hughes
purchased the paper and changed the name to the Marshall County News
and the politics to Republican. The name and politics have remained un-
changed since that date. In January, 1881, Thomas Hughes sold the paper
to C. E. Tibbetts and George T. Smith, and in 1882 Mr. Smith became the
proprietor and is the present owner.

From June i, 1909, until January i, 19 13, Mr. Smith published the
Marysville Daily News. This bright, newsy little sheet deserved better sup-
port than it received.

THE ADVOCATE-DEMOCRAT.

The Advocate-Democrat is a continuation and combination of the fol-
lowing papers : Marysznlle Democrat, William Becker, editor and publisher,
first issue October 5, 1882: the Bugle Call, a Grand Army publication,
founded in 1885 by P. D. Hartman; name changed in 1886 to the True
Republican; name changed in 1890 to the Peoples' Advocate, with Clark
and Runneals as editors and publishers.

(27)



4l8 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

A stock company for a number of years published the Peoples' Advocate,
which was later Ijought by C. A. Hammett. Clark, after disposing of the
Peoples' Advocate, associated with William l^xks and started the Marshall
County Devi^crat, which they later sold to J. S. Magill.

In the spring of 1898 S. E. Ruede bought the Peoples' Advocate and two
months later he bought the MarsJiall County Democrat from J. S. Magill
and consolidated them under the name of the Advocate-Democrat. For
a few months Asa Smith, of Osborne, was in partnership with him.

On December 2, 1899, Ruede formed a partnership with H. M. Brode-
rick, who, in the spring of 1901, bought Mr. Ruede's interest. On March i,
191 3, Mr. Broderick took into partnership with him his son, Lynn R. Brode-
rick, the firm name now being H. M. & L. R. Broderick. The Advocate-
Democrat is the leading Democratic paper in the county.

AXTELL NEWSPAPERS.

In 1882 W. W. Brooks started the Axtell Visitor, as a Republican
organ. Within the year he sold it to L. C. McCarn. It later suspended
publication.

The next paper, the Axtell Anchor, was started in 1883 by Thomas
Haynes, president ; T. E. Cone, secretary ; N. H. Cone, manager, with Milton
Singry as editor. The paper was Democratic in politics. Albert Nash suc-
ceeded Singry in 1886. Two years later the paper was sold to James Ross
and Thomas Nye. In 1895 Watson Staines became owner, publishing the
same for a number of years, when the management passed to Ed. H. Sehy
and the paper became Republican in politics.

The next paper was The Standard, started in 1898 by John G. Nelson,
who sold it to J. A. Keegan in 1900; the paper was Democratic. Keegan
sold to Ernest Werner in July, 1908. Frank A. Werner, brother of Ernest
Werner, came in August and bought TJie Anchor, In September, 1908,
both papers were made into one. The AncJior plant was sold to L. E. Busen-
bark and became later the Home ■ City Tribune. The Standard was pub-
lished for four years by Werner Brothers, the Standard Publishing Com-
pany, and in 1912 the present owner, publisher and editor, Frank A. Werner,
became sole owner. The paper is independent in politics; enjoys a good
patronage and has a healthy circulation.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 4IC)

THE BLUE RAPIDS TIMES. ^"^ ' ^

Many men and women have helped to make Bkie Rapids the splendid
town it is. Among those who deserve mention is Mr. C. E. Tibbitts. An
event of more than passing interest in colony affairs was the publication of
the Blue Rapids Times, by W. P. Campbell, of Waterville, Kansas, and C. E.
Tibbitts, late principal of the Wetmore Institute at Irving. The first num-
ber was published on July 9, 1871. The same date the interest of W. P.
Campbell was purchased by Frank Hall, son of Theo. Hall, a member of the
Blue Rapids Town Company.

The following August, Tibbitts purchased the interest of Frank Hall,
and associated with him as editor, B. W. Curtis, of Atchison. The paper
was ably edited and was Republican in politics. After forty-five years the
paper continues to be one of the strong country newspapers of the state, and
still adheres to the same poHtical faith.

In 1875 K- ^- Brice, of Oberlin, Ohio, became a partner of Mr. Tibbitts.
Mr. Brice was a fine man and endeared himself to the citizens of Blue Rapids.
In 1878 he became sole proprietor of the paper. In 1879 Mr. Tibbitts, who
was engaged in the real estate business, issued the first number of the
Kansas Pilot in the interest of his business. In 1881 Mr. Tibbitts purchased
the Marshall County Ncms, which he sold the following year to George T.
Smith, the present editor.

Charles E. Tibbitts served his country as first lieutenant in the Thir-
teenth Regiment, Connecticut Infantry, three years in the War of the Rebel-
lion. He graduated from Oberlin College after the war. He came to
Kansas, located at Irving, coming to Blue Rapids in the early years of its
settlement, where he continued to reside until his death. He was a member
of Robert Hale Post, Grand Army of the Republic. In 1875 h^ was appointed
postmaster of Blue Rapids. He took an important part in all public aft'airs,
was widely known and respected. He sleeps in Fairmont cemetery, over-
looking the home he loved so well.

The Blue Rapids Times is now ably edited by his son, C. C. Tibbitts.

THE BEATTIE EAGLE.

The Beattie Eagle is a continuation of the North Star, founded in 1884
by A. J. Tucker; the name was changed in 1885 to The Star, with W. W.
Brooks as editor. In 189 1 the name was again changed to Williauison's
Beattie Eagle, which was shortened in 1894 to Beattie Eagle; in 1902 it



420 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

absorbed the Bcattie Palladium, founded in 1898 by J. M. Kendall. The
Bcattic Eagle is a Republican paper; Mr. F. W. Reed is its present editor.

The Frankfort Index was founded by Warren and Hartman in 1905.
It is now owned by F. H. Hartman. Miss June J. Bliss is the editor in
charge. The Index is issued daily and weekly and is independent in politics.

The Home City Journal was established in 1908 by L. E. Busenbark,
and was published weekly. Busenbark was succeeded by Harley R. Row,
who was succeeded by the present editor, Richard Lewis. The paper is still
a weekly and is non-partisan in politics.

The Irznng Leader was founded in 1836 by J. R. Leonard. It is pub-
lished weekly and is independent in politics; the present owner and editor is
Mr. Bert Forbes.

The Oketo Eagle was founded in 1908 by J. A. Church. The manage-
ment and politics of the paper have changed many times and the paper has
suspended publication at intervals. It is at present under the ownership of
R. F. Montgomery, is issued weekly and independent in politics.

The Summer field Sun was established in 1889 by Fabrick and Felt.
This has always been a live paper under excellent management. Mr. G. W.
Willis and H. P. Wadham, of Marysville, once owned and published the
paper. This firm purchased the paper from Fred Fleming in April 1903, and
published it until 1904, when the firm became Willis & Son. In 191 1 W. R.
Brown purchased the paper and was succeeded by Jones, the present pub-
lisher. The paper is independent in politics.

W^ATERVILLE TELEGRAPH.

The Waterznlle Telegraph deserves more than passing notice because of
the character of the men who were associated in its publication. The paper
was established by Frank A. Root and the first number was issued in 1870.
Prior to this, Root had been an overland stage driver for Ben Holliday, and
after that career became a well-known newspaper man In Kansas. In later
years he published the "Overland Stage to California," a most valuable
addition to Kansas literature.

In 1 87 1 West Wilkinson, of Seneca, became a partner with Root.
Wilkinson afterward published the Seneca Courier and later Root went to
Seneca and for a time became a business partner in that paper. On January
I, 1 87 1, F. G. Adams and W. P. Campbell bought the Telegraph. Adams
afterward moved to Topeka and became state librarian and held that posi-
tion until his death.



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS, 42 1

RAPID CHANGES IN OWNERSHIP.

The Telegraph changed hands so rapidly that its readers scarcely had
learned the name of the new owner before another had taken his place. In
1872 Thomas Hughes bought the paper. It was then Adams & Hughes.
Hughes then bought the Marshall County News, later sold out his interests
in both papers and moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he became a
prominent newspaper man and served as mayor of that city. W. P. Camp-
bell bought the paper from Hughes & Adams, and later the paper was sold
to J. E. Reece & Company.

Campbell moved to Oklahoma in 1878, published a paper and later was
made state librarian which position he now holds. Reece & Company changed
the name of the paper to the Blue Valley Telegraph and its politics to Demo-
cratic. In September, 1879, C. F. Stanley bought the paper and restored
the former name and politics.

In 1880 H. C. Willson bought the paper and is its present publisher.
It is Republican in politics and Mr. Willson has made it a strong paper in
this part of the state; and for the first time in its career, although always
ably edited, it is now a success financially,

NEWSPAPERS OF VERMILLION.

But little is known about the early papers of Vermillion, as no files
were kept. From what can be learned the first printing plant in the town
was brought by G. W. Keely, one of the earliest settlers.

The first paper of which any record is found was Kind Words, a little
religious monthly published by Rev. I. B. Smith, and printed at Frankfort.
There were several newspaper ventures after that, but none of them lasted
very long, until in May, 1891, The Record was launched by F. W. Arnold,
continued it until 1896, when it was sold to Roy Wilson, of Beattie. The
name was changed to The Oiul and was continued for a few months, when
it ceased and the plant was moved to Beattie.

The Monitor was the next paper. It was published by J. W. Mahafifey
and others in 1896 and continued for about three years.

The Harris Brothers began the publication of The Times in April, 1900,
and it ran about two years.

Forrest Warren then published The Enterprise, which continued for
a period of two years. In December, 1904, H. L. Huff moved a plant from
Netawaka to Vermillion and started the present paper. The Times, which



422 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

he edited until November, 19 13, when he transferred the paper to Forrest
Warren, who continued the paper for nearly a year, when F. W. Arnold
became the owner and proprietor, in October, 19 14. Mr. Arnold is now the
editor, and the politics of the newsy little Times is Republican.

In 1903 Rev. M. L. Laybourne, a Presbyterian minister, living in Ver-
million, published the Little Presbyterian, a religious monthly.

The Marshall County School Journal is a monthly publication, issued
in the interest of the schools by the county superintendents.

Marshall's Manhood is a religious quarterly, published by Hervey F.
Smith, county secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association.



/ fp




Y. M. C. A. BOYS ON A "HIKE" AT TWIN :\IOUNDS, NEAR BIGELOW.




SCENE AT MARSHALL COUNTY Y. M. C. A. CAMP.



CHAPTER XXI.
Miscellaneous Items of Interest.



YOUNG men's christian ASSOCIATION.

In November, 1910, a group of men familiar with the work of the
Young Men's Christian Association, decided that they would have the influ-
ence of that organization in Marshall county. They knew that they could
not erect a big building in every town, but they also knew that it is not
buildings and paraphernalia that make men, but leadership of the right sort.
A committee of fifteen prominent men of the county was elected to super-
vise the work, a county secretary was employed, boys' clubs were organized
with a competent leader over each group, and for six years the principles of
association work — development of mind, body and spirit — have been applied
to the boy life of the county.

C. J. Brown was elected the first chairman of the county committee,
a position which he has held ever since. A. D. Holloway was elected
county secretary and for four years directed the work of the association,
being 'Succeeded in November, 1914, by Hervey F. Srriith, the present secre-
tary.

The county work, as the rural work of the Young Men's Christian
Association is called, is organized in five counties in Kansas. It is the
newest phase of Christian association work, but is growing rapidly. It is
the one organization that binds together men and boys of all churches and
beliefs in a definite, concerted efi^ort. The maximum of results is secured
with the minimum of expense, because the basis of the work is volunteer
leadership. One employed officer — the county secretary — gives his entire
time to the work. All his assistants are volunteer laborers. The business
of the secretary is to "find, enlist and train leaders," who will assume respon-
sibilitv in the work with bovs.



424 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

FUNDAMENTALS OF THE WORK.

The activities of the county work are many and varied. There are
county conferences, when social and rehgioiis proljlenis are discussed and
decisions are made for Christian living, one or more college gospel teams
are brought into the county for a week's stay during the winter ; there are
"Father and Son" banquets, and among the prominent men who have been
brought into the county to address these meetings are Gov. Arthur Capper,
ex-Governor George H. Hodges, President Henry J. Waters, A. E. RoJDerts
and Dr. John Brown, of New York. There are athletic contests, hikes and
camps. Clubs are organized in the high schools with the motto, "clean
speech, clean sport, clean habits." All these and many other things find
their way, naturally, into the program of the association.

Marshall county is a rural county ; of the twenty-three towns of the
county, none have a population over two thousand five hundred, and any
program which did not place emphasis upon a better rural life and better
agricultural conditions, would be incomplete. Farm institutes for boys, stock-
judging contest, corn-growing contests and farm trips have centered the
attention of the boys upon the farm and because of this work during the
past six years upwards of a hundred young people are attending the State
Agricultural College. During the past summer, forty Marshall county lads,
under the direction of the Young Men's Christian Association, have been
enrolled in an acre contest — each boy planting, tending and harvesting an
acre of corn. Accurate records are kept of every transaction so that a boy
knows at the end of the season just what profit he has from his acre. As a
part of the contest each boy is to select and exhibit a sample of ten ears at
the fair or institute, and it is not uncommon for the boys to win over the



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 38 of 104)