Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 43 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 43 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sition, declaring that he was "not leasing his hotel to paupers." When this
remark was conveyed to Gen. Frank J. Marshall, after whom Marshall county
takes its name, the General did not take the same view of Perry Hutchin-
son's status as that entertained by Barrett and he promptly agreed to sign
the lease, as surety for Hutchinson, and then and there was executed w^hat
has been referred to as probably the most iron-clad contract ever drawn up
in this county, and Hutchinson entered upon the management of the hotel
as well as upon a new stage of his career. At the end of six months acting
as landlord of the hotel he had cleared the sum of eighteen hundred dollars
and with that money bought a tract of eighty acres adjoining the village of
Marysville upon which he presently erected the first flour-mill built in the
state of Kansas and established the business that is now carried on under
modern methods and which has from the first been known as the Excelsior
mill. It was in the spring of 1864 that Captain Hutchinson secured the
water-power rights on the Big Blue river, west of iMarysville, and built a saw-
mill on the east banks of the stream. In that mill the lumber used bv the
Holliday stage line between Marysville and Denver w^as sawed. On August
15, 1867, Hutchinson built on the west side of the stream the first flour-mill
to be erected west of the Missouri river, his product quickly finding a market
as far east as Lawrence, wheat being brought by farmers in the territory



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 467

within a radius of one hundred and hfty miles, the mill always paying a
little in advance of the market price for grain. Step by step the Hutchinson
mills have been kept up-to-date, modern machinery always replacing the
obsolete equipment of bygone days, and the reputation of the firm has been
maintained throughout the half century and more that it has been doing
business. Not only was Captain Hutchinson the first flour-miller in Kansas,
but he milled the first roller-process flour in the state. When on February
5, 1905, the Excelsior mill was destroyed by fire, the Captain, though then
past seventy-five years of age, was undismayed and at once began laying the
plans which resulted in the erection of a new and better mill on the site
of the old.

In Jul}-, 1862, Perry Hutchinson responded to the call to arms in defense
of the nation during the Civil War and organized Company E of the
Thirteenth Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and was elected captain
of the same. Company E was mustered into service at Atchison in August
of that year and Captain Hutchinson served until the fall of 1863, when he
received his honorable discharge on account of illness. He ever afterward
took a warm interest in the veterans of the war and was an active member
of Lyon Post, Grand Army of the Republic. Besides his milling business.
Captain Hutchinson found time to engage in other lines of industry and per-
sonally superintended his extensive farming interests, as well as being rated
one of the largest stockfeeders in the state. He was also engaged in the
banking business, and the same business care that characterized the manage-
ment of his personal affairs was always exercised in the administration of
such aft'airs as came under his jurisdiction as a banker. When the Marshall
County Bank was organized back in pioneer days. Captain Hutchinson was
one of the chief factors in the organization of that institution, which was
succeeded by the First National Bank in 1882. In 1894 Captain Hutchinson
was elected president of the bank and held that position the rest of his life.
He ever took a leading part in local political affairs and for manv vears was
one of the leaders in the Republican party in this district. In 1880 he was
elected to the state Senate and served with distinction in that body. In
1876 Captain Hutchinson was appointed one of a committee of three to
represent Kansas in the Centennial Jubilee held in New York Citv. He was
a delegate to the national conventions that nominated James A. Garfield and
James G. Blaine for the Presidency and was for many years one of the most
familiar figures at the state and local conventions of his party. As noted
above, Captain Hutchinson was an active member of the Grand Army of the



468 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Republic. He also was a Mason, in which ancient order he had attained to
the York Rite, and ever took a warm interest in Masonic affairs.

In December, 1855, Perry Hiitchin.son was united in marriage to Lydia
Jennette Barber, daughter of Champlin Barber and wife, of Chautauqua
county. New York, and to that union were born four children, F. W. and
Delia (deceased), w^ere born in Iowa; \V. W. Hutchinson, of Marysville, and
]\Irs. Etta Hutchinson-Kotsch, of Sturgis, South Dakota, three of whom,
with their mother, survive the death of Captain Hutchinson, which occurred
on December 29, 1914, he then being past eighty-three years of age.



FRANK W. HUTCHINSON.

Frank W. Hutchinson, well-known grocer, of Marysville, is a native of
the state of Iowa, but has been a resident of Marysville practically all the
time since the days of his childhood and has thus witnessed the growth of the
city and the development of this region since pioneer days. He was born at
Palo, Iowa, August 2, 1857, son of Perry and Jeannette L. (Barber)
Hutchinson, natives of New York state, who became prominent and influen-
tial pioneers of this county, active in promoting the interests of Marysville
in the early days, and the latter of whom is still living in that city at a ripe
old age.

Perry Hutchinson was born at Fredonia, New York, December 2', 1831,
son of Calvin Hutchinson, a native of England, and was reared on a dairy
farm, in his youth helping to milk one hundred cows. At Fredonia, in 1853,
he married Jeannette L. Barber, who was born at that place in February,
1837, and immediately after their marriage he and his w-ife came West,
settlino- in Iowa. For some time Perrv Hutchinson worked in the timber
woods in Wisconsin, rafting logs and then went to Iowa, where, at Palo, he
engaged in the cattle business and in the milling business, remaining there
until 1859. when he came down into Kansas and pre-empted a quarter of a
section of land in Balderson township, this county. He built a log cabin
on his claim and put up a shack to shelter his horses and the first winter he
was there worked w-ith his team, receiving for his labor daily one bushel of
corn, worth twenty cents a bushel. The next spring, when - the tide of
immigration out this way began to flow past his door, he was able to sell
that twenty-cent corn for two dollars and fifty cents a bushel. His place
was along the line of the old stage route and one morning about two o'clock



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 469

he heard sounds of distress proceeding from the trail. On investigating he
found the mail-stage and the six-horse team stuck in the ice and the driver
nearly frozen to death. The driver was made comfortable for the night at
Mr. Hutchinson's house and upon asking the next morning what the charge
for the accommodation was, was informed that there was no charge. To show
his appreciation for the favor the superintendent of the mail gave Mr.
Hutchinson a "tip", which was to go to the then new village of Marysville
and lease the hotel that had been started there. Mr. Hutchinson recognized
the value of the tip, for travel through this part of the country was then
beginning to become quite brisk, but he told the superintendent that it would
be impossible for him to enter upon such an undertaking, that all his equip-
ment in the way of housekeeping consisted of a table that he had made out
of dry-goods boxes, three dilapidated chairs and a few old knives and forks.
He picked up courage, however, and determined to investigate the "tip."
With that end in view he drove over to Marysville, his sole cash possession
at the time being twenty-five cents, and proposed to A. G. Barrett, the owner
of the hotel, to rent the same and operate it. Barrett informed him that he
would not rent the place to "a pauper" and coolly dismissed the proposition.
Mr. Hutchinson laid the matter before Frank Marshall, who was then con-
ducting a store in a log building at Marysville and after whom Marshall
county later came to be named, and Marshall offered to "go his security" for
any reasonable amount sufficient to swing the hotel proposition. On that
basis Mr. Hutchinson secured a lease on the hotel and in eight months made
a clear profit of eighteen hundred dollars operating the same. By the way,
the site of the log store above referred to is the present site of the First
National Bank, of which Mr. Hutchinson was president for many years and
until the time of his death. With the money earned in his hotel deal. Perry
Hutchinson bought an eighty-acre tract of land adjoining the village and
there erected a flour-mill, in a building twenty by eightv feet, said to have
been the first flour-mill in the state of Kansas, settlers coming from distances
as far away as two hundred miles to get their grist ground at that pioneer
mill. Mr. Hutchinson was engaged in milling when the Civil War broke
out and he dropped everything and enlisted a company of men to fight in
behalf of the Union, that company from Marysville going to the front as a
part of the Thirteenth Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Near the close
of the war, Captain Hutchinson was taken ill and was mustered out. Upon
his return home he resumed his milling business and in 1867 erected a new
mill on the west side of the river, which old mill is still standing. In 1881
Captain Hutchinson was elected state senator from this district, on the Repub-



470 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

lican ticket. About 1878 he engaged in tlie banking lousiness and was a
director of the First National Bank nntil the death of S. A. Fulton, the presi-
dent, when lie was elected president mid continued to serve in that capacity
until Iiis deatli on December 27, IQ14. He was an active and earnest mem-
ber of the Grand Army of the Repul)lic and was a Royal Arch Mason and a
Knight Templar. His widow is still living in the old home erected by her
husband in 1868. She is a member of the Presbyterian church and was
among the most active workers in behalf of all good causes hereabout in
pioneer days. To her and her husband four children were born, of whom the
subject of this sketch was the first-born, the others being Dilla, now deceased;
Mrs. Etta Kotsch, of Sturgis, South Dakota, and Wallace W., the well-known
retired miller, of Marysville.

Frank W. Hutchinson was Ijut a child when his parents moved to Marys-
ville and he grew to manhood there, a valued assistant to his father in the
mill, remaining thus engaged for four or five years. In the early seventies
he was severely injured by being caught beneath a freight train and while
recuperating from those injuries took a trip to the mountains and on the
train was robbed of what money he had. He stopped at Canon City, Colo-
rado, wliere he remained a year or two working for a time in a hotel and
then in a wholesale grocery house. Upon his return to Marysville he was
put in charge of his father's lumber yard and was thus engaged until 1882,
when he went to Beattie and there started a grocery store. A little more
than sixty days later his store was destroyed by fire, but he rebuilt and
restocked the place and continued in business there until 1892, when he sold
the store and returned to Marysville to take charge of his father's mill. In
1894 he Ijought a grocery stock at Marysville and presently bought the site
of his present place of business and erected his present commodious store
room, into which he moved in 1895 and where he ever since has been engaged
in business, long having been recognized as one of the substantial merchants
of his home town. Mr. Hutchinson also is the owner of a farm of eighty-
three acres in Wells township. He is a Republican, but has not been a
seeker after office.

In 1884 Frank W. Hutchinson was united in marriage to Emma Brum-
b)augh, who was born at Valparaiso, Indiana, March 17. 1864, a daughter
of Alexander and Elizabeth (Hawthorn) Brumbaugh, the parents of eight
children, three sons and live daughters, who came to Marshall county about
1889, some time after the marriage of their daughter Emma, and settled on
a farm near Beattie, where Mr. Brumbaugh died and where Mrs. Brumbaugh
is living in the northeast part of Marysville, now being in the eighty-seventh



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 4^1

year of her age. ^Irs. Hutchinson received an excellent education in her
girlhood and after her graduation came to Kansas in response to a call sent
out for school teachers and was teaching school in Marshall county at the
time of her marriage. To that union no children have been born. Mr. and
Mrs. Hutchinson are members of the Presbyterian church and have for vears
taken a warm interest in the various beneficences of the same.



NICHOLAS S. KERSCHEN.

The Hon. Nicholas S. Kerschen, former representative in the Legislature
from this district, manager of the farmers elevator at Marysville and one
of the extensive landowners of ^Marshall county, making his home on his fine
farm in Marysville township, is a native of Europe, but has been a resident
of this county since he was five years of age. He was born in the grand
duchy of Luxemburg on April 29, 1868, son of Charles and Mary (Klein)
Kerschen, native Luxemburgers, who came to this country in 1873 ^^^ set-
tled on homestead farm in section 18 of Marysville township, this county,
becoming substantial and influential pioneer residents of that community.

Nicholas S. Kerschen was reared on that pioneer farm and received his
schooling in the neighboring district school. He remained on the home farm,
a valuable assistant to his father in the labor of developing and improving
the same. L'pon his marriage in 1890 he assumed charge of the home farm
of two lumdred acres and upon the death of his father inherited the home
place. As his affairs prospered, Mr. Kerschen added to his land holdings
imtil he now is the owner of five hundred and fifty-three acres, to the farming
of three hundred and twenty acres of which he is giving his personal attention
and there makes his home, having one of the best-developed farms and most
up-to-date farm plants in the county. Mr. Kerschen has been a stockholder
in the Farmers Elevator Company at Marysville ever since the organization
of the same and on June 16, 191 5, was made manager of the same, a position
he ever since has filled in a manner highly satisfactory to both shareholders
and patrons of that admirable institution. Mr. Kerschen has ever given his
thoughtful and intelligent attention to local civic affairs and in 1912, as the
nominee of the Republican party, was elected representative from this dis-
trict to the lower house of the Kansas Legislature, his services in the House
during the session of 1913 being regarded as of much value not only to his
district, but to the state at large.



4/2 MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS.

On July 2, 1890, Nicholas S. Kerschen was united in marriage to Mar-
guerite Koppes, ^\l^() was born on a pioneer farm in section 17 of Marysville
township, this county, October 15, 1871. daughter of Nicholas S. and Helen
(Klass) Koppes, natives of Luxemburg and pioneer residents of Marshall
county. Nicholas Koppes was an honored veteran of the Civil War, a mem-
l)er of the Thirteenth Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry. To Mr. and
Mrs. Kerschen two sons have l)een born, Carl N., born on August 8, 1894,
who is farming the home place, and Arthur P., August 7, 1897, who is now
a student of the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, taking the law
course. The Kerschens are members of the Catholic church and take a
warm interest in the various beneficences of the same, as well as in the gen-
eral social activities of the community. Mr. Kerschen is a member of the
Knights of Columbus and of the Modern Woodmen of America and takes a
proper interest in the affairs of both these organizations. He has ever given
his close attention to the general development of the best interests of his home
county and is looked upon as one of the active factors in all worthy move-
ments designed to advance the common welfare hereabout.



WALLACh: W^'VLTER HUTCHINSON.

Wallace Walter Hutchinson, well-known retired miller, banker and land-
owner, of Marysville, is a native son of that city and has lived there all his
life, one of the most active factors in the development of the interests of that
thriving county-seat town during the past quarter of a century, an able repre-
sentative, in the second generation, of one of the most prominent and influen-
tial pioneer families in this part of the state. He was born at Marysville on
November 6. 1871, son of Capt. Perry and Lydia (Barber) Hutchinson, the
former of whom died at his home in Marysville on December 29, 1914, and
the latter of whom is still living there, one of the most honored and respected
pioneers of Marshall county. In a biographical sketch relating to the late
Captain Hutchinson, presented elsewhere in this volume, there is set out
at considerable detail the history of this pioneer family in this county and to
that sketch the reader is referred for further details regarding the genealogy
of the subject of this sketch.

W. W. Hutchinson was reared at Marysville, receiving his schooling in
the local schools, and early took an interest in his father's flour-mill at that
place, the first flour-mill erected in the state of Kansas; and upon completing



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 473

school was installed June ii, 1889, as bookkeeper and office manager of the
mill, continuing thus connected with his father in the milling business until
his father's death in 1914. when he became owner of the mill, which he con-
tinued to operate until August i, 1916, when he sold the mill; since which
time he has been giving his attention to his extensive land and banking inter-
ests. Mr. Hutchinson has an interest in se\'en hundred acres of land and is
a stockholder in and a member of the board of directors of the First National
Bank of Marysville. During his many years of active connection with the
old Excelsior mills he gave his whole time to the direction of the affairs of
that pioneer industry and, as he recalls now, on many occasions worked
practically day and night and on Sundays, it being no unusual thing for
him to be occupied at the mill for twenty hours at a stretch for considerable
periods of time during the liusy season.

On A]!ril 20, 1893, W- ^V. Hutchinson was united in marriage to Bessie
L. Parrish, who was born in Jefferson county, New York, October 20, 1874,
(laughter of George W. and iMuma (Parker) Parrish, natives of that state,
who are now living in Texas. George W. Parrish was born on January 6,
1849, ^i'i<^l became one of the early students of electricity upon the develop-
ment of applied electrical energy for power and light. From New York
state he moved to Illinois and came thence to Kansas, locating in 1878 in
the neighl)orhood of Frankfort, where he was engaged in farming until 1888,
when he moved to Marysville, where he resumed his trade as an electrician
and in that capacity built Marysville's first electric-light plant. About 1900
he left Marysville and he and his wife are now living in Texas, where he
owns a farm. To them four children were born, of whom Mrs. Hutchinson,
the second in order of birth, is now the only survivor, her three brothers,
Arthur, Franklin and Foster, being deceased.

To W. W. and Bessie L. (Parrish) Hutchinson five children have been
born, namely: Georgia V., born on March 22, 1894, who was graduated
from the Marysville high school with the class of 1913 and on September
14, 1916, married Bryan P. Weeks, a linotype operator at Forest City, Iowa;
Grace C., March 30, 1896, who was graduated from the Marysville high
school with the class of 1914; Perry I\, December 4, 1898, also a graduate
of the local high school, completing the course there with the class of 1916
and now a student at Chaunccy Hall, a preparatory school at Boston, Massa-
chusetts ; Glenn W., x\pril 4, 1906, and Carol, August 11, 1908. The
liutchinsons have one of the finest homes in the city of Marysville and take
an earnest interest in the general social activities of the community. Mr.



474 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

and Mrs. Hutchinson are mernliers of llic Episcopal churcli and Air. Hutchin-
son has been treasurer of the Idcal congregation of the same for the past
fifteen vears. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and takes a warm
interest in the affairs of the same.



GEORGE I. THACHER, M. D.

Among the well-known and ])rnminent residents of Marshall county, is
Dr. George T. 1'hacher, who was born in Hornell, New York, on April 17.
1877, the son of Safford IM. and Sarah (Langworthy) Thacher.

Safford M. Thacher was born on December 21, 1834, in Hornell, Xew
York, where he received his primar\' education in the public schools and grew
to manhood. After he had completed his common-school work he entered
the Alfred I'niversity, from which institution he was later graduated. As a
lad lie had a taste of pioneer life in his native state, but received a splendid
education. In 1856 he came to Kansas during the time of the fierce agitation
on the slavery question. He and his brother, Dwight, established themselves
in the printing business, and published the Lazvrcncc Republican, a strong
anti-slavery pa]jer, and developed strong opposition. Their lives were even
in danger on account of their opposition to the extension of slavery. At the
time of the Quantrel raid in August, 1S63. the brother, Dwight, was at Kan-
sas Citv as editor of the Joiinial. but S. M. Thacher was in Lawrence and
came near losing his life when the printing plant was destroyed by fire,
started bv the raiders. After the destruction of the plant the two brothers
joined forces at Kansas City and the Republican plant was not rebuilt.
After the close of the Civil \\'ar, Mr. Thacher returned to Hornell, New
York, where on October 25, 1865, he was united in marriage to Louise Lang-
worthy, and to this union four children were born : Frank Eugene, of Salina,
Kansas; Dr. Mowry Safford Thacher. of Turon, Kansas; Dr. George Isaac
Thacher and one that died in infanc}'. Mr. Thacher was a man possessed
of much public spirit and took a lively interest in all that would tend to
elevate and inspire a better life. During the time Grant was President he
served as postmaster of Hornell.

I;i 1885 Safford M. Thacher returned to Kansas and with his family
established their home on a farm near Topeka. After three years of farm life
Mr. Thacher moved to Lawrence, where he became associated with the \\'est-
ern Farm Mortgage Company and remained with the firm until 1892, at which



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 475

lime he accepted a position with the City Real Estate Trust Company of
Topeka and moved to that city. His wife, who was born in 1834, died in
1898. and after the deatli of !\Irs. Thacher, he was married to Kate Lewis,
of Hudson, Wisconsin, who died at \\'ater\'ille five years later. ]\Ir. Thacher
spent much of his time at Blue Rapids and at Waterville with his sons, and
died at the home of his son, George I., on November 19, 191 1. During his
residence at Waterville the people of the city entertained a high regard for
him. He kept well posted on current events, and up to the time of his death
he was interested in political affairs. Much of the time of his later years
was de^'oted to the collecting and recording of interesting data of the Thacher
famih'. whose history is traceable for many generations. The father of the
first Thacher who came to xA,merica, was the Rev. Peter Thacher, who was
minister at Salem, England, in 1620, and the son became pastor of the old
South church at Boston, and it seems evident from family records that for
more than a century and a half there was a continuous line of Thachers in
the Congregational ministry of Massachusetts. In a sermon over the remains
of Judge Otis Thacher, of Hornell, in 1868 the minister said, "Mr. Thacher's
ancestry for two and a half centuries, at least, were puritans and Congre-
gationalists, and thus they have become in America a part of that powerful
influence that has helped so much in making this a Christian nation."

Safiford M. Thacher earl\- in life became a member of the Congfresfa-
tional cliurch. At Lawrence he was associated with Dr. Richard Cordelv in
his Christian work, with its humble beginning. At Kansas City, what is now



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 43 of 104)