Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 53 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 53 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cattle raising. He retained to the end his tine ranch of eight hundred and
forty acres six miles south of Marysville and took much pride in the devel-
opment of the sarne and in raising the standard of the live-stock bred on
his place. Mr. Duigenan had inherited a bit of property in London and
after his marriage made four trips back to that city, incidentally increasing
his inxestments there. He also had extensive investments in bonds and
owaied, besides his beautiful residence in Marysville, a business block and
other property there. During the nineties Mr. Duigenan gave much atten-
tion to cattle raising and was known as one of the most enterprising stock-
n"ien in this part of Kansas. In later years he spent much time in travel
and had not only visited most of the chief points of interest in this country,
but in Europe. In 191 3 he made a pilgrimage to the Vatican at Rome and
out of a party of seven hundred he was the only American, the rest all
being foreigners, and received the papal blessing of the supreme pontiff.
Mr. Duigenan was an ardent member of the Catholic church and among
the benefactions revealed by his last will and testament was one bequeath-
ing four thousand dollars to Catholic institutions. Politically, he was a
Republican and from the very beginning of his residence in this county took
an active interest in poHtical affairs. For some time he served as a mem-



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 557

ber of the Marysville city council and he also served for years as a member
of the local school board. Mr. Duigenan died at his home in Alarysville
in May, 191 5, leaving a widow and five children.

On July 13, T872. at Stratford, Ontario, Michael J. Duigenan was
united in marriage to Rachel Cooper, who was born at that place on June 6,
1854, daughter of John and Rosanna Cooper, natives, respectively, of Eng-
land and Ireland. John Cooper, who was a substantial brick manufacturer,
was born at Enkring, England, in 18 18, and when a young man emigrated
to Canada. Eor two years he and his wife made their home in Marvsville.
In 1888 he returned to his boyhood home in England and there died on
February 18, 1898. To Mr. and Mrs. Duigenan five children were l^orn,
namelv : Kathleen, who married J. C. Grindle, of Marysville ; Charles
Joseph, a draughtsman, who is at home ; Erancis, a pharmacist at Kansas
City ; Elizabeth, who married Omer Fulton, and Madeline, who is at home.
The Duigenans have a very pleasant home at Marysville and have ever
'taken a proper part in the social, cultural and religious activities of their
home town, earnest factors in the promotion of all movements having to do
with the advancement of the common welfare.



D. W. LIJDWICK.



D. W. Ludwick, a well-known retired grainman and farmer, now li\ing
at Frankfort, was born in lMttsluu-g!i, Pennsylvania, September 2. 1866,
a son of Conrad and Luc}- A. (Byers) Ludwick, who later became residents
of this county and here spent their last days.

The Ludwick familv formerlv spelled the name Ludwig and is directly
descended from the stock from which sprang old Ixing Ludwig, of Bavaria,
D. \A\ Ludwick's great-grandfather, Conrad Ludwig, the founder of the
family in this country, having been a first cousin of the king. He came
to this country in Colonial times and his sons fought in the patriot army
during tlie Revolutionary War. One of the grandsons of this old Bavarian
immigrant. Conrad Ludwick, father of the subject of this sketch, was born
in Pennsylvania and there grew up, trained to the trade of millwright, he
and his brother, Charles, building mills along the Monongehela river. Later
he built mills in Iowa. In 1845 Conrad Ludwick and his brother, Jacob,
settled on the prairie just west of the city of Chicago and there bought a
farm of eightv acres, land now comprised within the Garfield Park section of



558 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

tlie city. Jacob Liulw ick was killed while serving as a soldier during the
Ci\il War and Conrad Liidwick later traded that land for a farm in the
(^narga neighborhood of lro(|uois coimtw Illinois, and there, in 1867, built
a big tlour-mill which he operated for years and in the operation of which
he became f|uite wealthy. His mill was twice destroyed by fire and after the
second fire, in \Hy(), he came to Kansas and settled on a farm on the line
between Marshall and Washington counties, wdiere he made his home until
1897, when he moved to Barrett, l)nt after a .sometime residence there moved
to Frankfort, where he spent his last days, his death occurring in 1908, he
then being eighty-four years of age. His widows survived him until in April,
191 3. <he being seventy-nine years of age at the time of her death. They
were the parents of eight ch.ildren, of whom the subject of this sketch was
the fourth in (M'der of birth, the others being as follow: Belle, deceased;
bVank, deceased; Ellis, a lumber dealer of Bellville, this state; Mrs. Minnie
Schmidt, of Waterville, this county; C. W., of Ft. Cobb, Oklahoma; A. B.,
who is engaged in the lumber business at Glasgow, Kansas, and Mrs. Mary
E. Thrumm, wife of a cigar manufacturer at Bellville.

D. W. Ludwick was about thirteen years of age when his parents came
to Kansas and he grew to manhood on the home farm on the line between
this county and Washington county, remaining there until 1894,. when he
located at Barrett and there engaged in the grain business. He presently
sold his elevator at Barrett and in 1898 bought his present property in Frank-
fort and was engaged in the grain business in that city until 1908. in which
vear he erected a splendid grain elevator at Winifred and operated the safne
until 191 5, when he sold it to the Farmers Union and then returned to
Frankfort, where he since has made his home, now living practically retired.
Mr. Ludwick is the owner of a fine place of twenty acres on the river at
Frankfort and takes much pleasure in his poultry, hogs and cows. However,
he is not content to lead so comparatively inactive a life and is now contem-
plating the erection of a flour-mill at Frankfort. Mr. Ludwick is a Demo-
crat and has ever given his close attention to local political afifairs, but has
not been a seeker after public office.

Li April, 191 5, D. W^. Ludwick was united in marriage to Alice Deven-
dcrf, of Topeka, daughter of Capt. Henry Devendorf, a Civil War veteran,
who settled at Topeka in 1876 and there spent the rest of his life, his death
occurring in 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Ludwick have a very pleasant home and
take a proper part in the general social activities of their home city. They
attend the services of the local branch of the Church of Christ (Scientist)
and take much interest in the general good works of the community.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 559

E. A. GASTON, D. D. S.

Dr. E. A. Gaston, well-known dentist at Axtell and former member
of the city council of that city,- is a native of the old Hoosier state, but has
been a resident of Kansas since he was seventeen years of age. He was
born in ^^lonroe county, Indiana, July 29, 1875. son of Dr. J. H. Gaston and
wife, the former of whom was born in Greene county, that same state, a
son of James Gaston, a native of Tennessee, who w'as one of the early set-
tlers in southern Indiana.

J. H. Gaston was born in 1843 '""'^ early turned his attention to the
study of medicine. When tiie Civil War broke out he enlisted in Company
A, Ninety-seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served with
that command until he was incapacitated for further service by reason of a
severe wound in the right forearm received during the battle of Kenesavv
^Mountain. Following his discharge from service he resumed his medical
studies and completed the same at the ^liami Medical College at Cincinnati,
after whicli lie engaged in the practice of his profession in ^lonroe county,
Indiana. Doctor Gaston also took an active part in the civic affairs of his
home county and served for two terms as treasurer of Monroe county, mak-
ing his home at Bloomington, where he continued to reside, following the
practice of his profession, until 1892. when he came to Kansas and settled
at Axtell, W'here he continued in the active practice of medicine until a short
time before his death, \\hich occurred in 1911. His wnfe, who was Martha
A. Connet, also a native of Indiana, had preceded him to the grave about one
year, her deatli having occurred in 1910.

E. A. Gaston was about seventeen years of age when his parents moved
from Indiana to Axtell. About five years later, in the fall of 1897, he
entered the Western Dental College at Kansas City, Missouri, and was gradu-
ated from the same in 1900. Thus admirably equipped for the practice of
his chosen profession. Doctor Gaston opened an otBce at Axtell and has ever
since been there engaged in the practice of dental surgery, one of the best-
known dentists in this part of the state. Doctor Gaston has a well-appointed
suite of offices in the Citizens Bank building and has built up an excellent
practice. He keeps fully abreast of the latest advancement in the science of
his profession and is a member of the Kansas State Dental Association, of
the Northeastern Kansas Dental Association and of the National Dental
Association, in the affairs and deliberations of which he takes a warm inter-
est. Doctor Gaston is a Republican and ever gives a good citizen's atten-



560 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

tion to local ci\ic affairs, lia\ ing served for some time as a member of the
Axtell city council.

In igoi Dr. E. A. Gaston was united in marriage to Effie Ford. He
anil his wife have a very pleasant home in Axtell and take a proper part in
the general social activities of the city. They are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church and take an earnest interest in the various beneficences of
the same. Doctor Gaston at ])resent being one of trustees of the church. He
is a Mason and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of
the Kniehts of Pxthias, besides being affiliated with certain fraternal insur-
ance orders, and in the affairs of all these several organizations takes a warm
interest.



BE\7A^IIX WILLIAM HERRING.

Benjamin William Herring, one of the early pioneers of Oketo town-
ship, Marshall county, and now deceased, was born in England on October
30, 1834. near the town of Lynn. He received his education in the schools
of his native land and at the age of eighteen years he decided to come to
the United States. On his arrival in this country he established himself at
his trade as a blacksmith in Xew York. He remained in Xew York for a
time and later came to Illinois, where he again engaged in the work of a
blacksmith at old Dement, now Creston.

While living at Creston, Benjamin ^^'illiam Herring was unite'd in
marriage to Alary Ann Bigham, in 1858. She was born in Canada on
]\Iay 2, 1839, the daughter of Thomas and Jane (Davis) Bigham, natives
of Canada and Ireland, respectively. In 1857, when the daughter, Mary
Ann, was eighteen years of age, the family came to Illinois. She had re-
ceived her education in her native land and the next year after coming to
Illinois she was married to Air. Herring. Her parents later came to Kansas,
and established their home in Marshall county.

In 1866 Mr. and Airs. Herring decided to leave their home in Illinois
and locate on the farm in Oketo township, Alarshall county, that Air. Her-
ring had homesteaded one year before. They made the journey in a prairie
schooner and experienced many of the hardships of that mode of travel.
They established their home on their new farm of one hundred and sixty
acres of land, and at once entered into- the task of development and im-
provement. The first house was built from the roof of a barn that Air.
Herring had ])urchased. The building consisted of but two rooms, and in







Z



X
H

S3
I— (

O




MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 561

this the family hved for some years, or until the present substantial house
was built. They met with success in their new home and in time added to
the farm until they were the owners of two hundred and sixty acres of
splendid land, all of which was placed under high cultivation and was well
improved with two sets of buildings.

Mr. Herring Avas always a hard-working man and a splendid citizen.
In 1885 he was bothered with the ague, and in order to regain his health
he went to Vancouver Island and worked at his trade for three years. There
he was engaged in sharpening picks and shoeing mules. On his return to
his home he conducted a shop on his farm for a number of years. He al-
ways took the deepest interest in local affairs and was identified with the
Republican party. He served for many years as a school director and as
school treasurer.

Mr. and Mrs. Herring were among the well-respected people of their
home community, and were held in high esteem by all who knew them. On
January 13, 1908, they celebrated their golden wedding, which was at-
tended by a large number of their friends and neighbors. That same year,
Mr. Herring lost the sight of one of his eyes, which interfered much with
his comfort. The next year he and his wife visited the Seattle Fair, then
Victoria and the Island of Vancouver, where Mr. Herring had worked for
three years, the trip proving a most enjoyable one.

There were six children in the Herring family : Hattie Lillian, Ben-
jamin Henry. Samuel Thomas, Robert Elroy, Vinnie Victoria and Hiram L.
Hattie Lillian Suggett is a resident of Marietta, Kansas, and is the mother
of three children, Sidney R., Bernice M. and- Cyril J. Sidney R. Suggett
is married and has two children, Lloyd and Norman Randall. Bernice M.
Suggett is the wife of M. fl. Schmidt and is living on the old home place.
Benjamin Henry Herring was born in Illinois and is now deceased. Samuel
Thomas is a successful farmer of Oketo township. He is married to Lottie
Hawes and they are the parents of one child, Vida May. Robert Elroy
lives in Oregon and is married to Louisa Schmidt and they have five chil-
dren, Benjamin Michael. Mary, Magdelena, Howard and Elroy: Vinnie
Victoria is the wife of James Curtis, of Firth, Nebraska, and they are the
parents of two children, William James and Earl J. ; Hiram L. is a resident
of Oketo township, and is married to Maggie Schmidt, and to them has
been born one child, Hiram Michael.

To Mr. and Mrs. Herring is due much of the early progress in the
township, as well as the county. They entered into the development of their
home district with a determination that was sure of success. In addition
(36)



562 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

to the inipni\cniL'nt of their own Ikhir' farm, they were interested in the
development of the territory in which they liad cstal)Hshcd themselves. They
were indulgent parents, and the welfare of their children was always one
of their chief considerations. Thev were alwavs interested in the schools
and the moral well-heing of the district. 1"o such men as Mr. Herring the
present generation owe miich for the excellent system of schools that are
now estahlished in the township and the county. He was also a strong advo-
cate of the building of good roads and believed that in the schools and the
highways of the county depended a good deal of the future greatness of
this section of the state. He was a most entertaining man, and being a
great traveler, he was possessed of much interesting information. He was
a great reader and kept well posted on the current events of the day.



T. G. SCHMIDLER.



One of the native sons of Marshall county, who has met with much suc-
cess and is one of well-known residents of Marietta, where he is the cashier
of the Marietta State Bank, was born on Horseshoe creek in Logan township,
the son of John and Catherine (Steinmetz) Schmidler.

The State Bank of Marietta was organized in August, 1909. with a
capitalization of ten thousand dollars, and now has a surplus of over one
thousand dollars and deposits of over ninety thousand dollars. The officers
of the bank are: President, Benjamin R. Bull; vice-president. Fred Ober-
meyer ; cashier, J. G. Schmidler; directors, E. R. Fulton, B. R. Bull, S. W.
Bull, A. T. Cottrell, W. W. Cottrell and AV. M. McCloud. The institution
owns its own banking house, whicli is one of the modern buildings of the
city, and is furnished with the latest modern furniture. There are twenty-
four stockholders, they being among the most substantial and representative
men of the district, and there has been no change in the personnel of the stock-
holders for the past four or five years. The bank has done a splendid busi-
ness and the officers of the ])ank, by their courteous treatment of the general
public, have won the confidence of all. The institution, while but a new one
in the financial world, has made substantial progress and is recognized as a
sound banking institution. The officers are recognized as among the sub-
stantial and influential people of the district.

J. G. Schmidler received his education in the schools of Marshall county,
where he grew to manhood. His father, John Schmidler, was born in



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 563

Luxemburg, Germany, in 1837, and when two years of age came with his
parents to Wisconsin in 1839. The family estabhshed their home in that
state and there John was educated, grew to manhood and was married to
Catherine Steinmetz, who was born in 1847, ii"* Wisconsin. At the time of
her birth her parents Hved near Port Washington, vSheboygan county, where
they resided until 1869, at which time they came to Kansas. The father first
came to the county in 1866 and he and Peter Schumacher chiseled out the
tunnel water course for the Hutchinson mill. After the family came to the
county, they located on the old Marshall farm, which was owned by J. G.
Schmidler's grandfather. Jacob Schmidler, and it was here that the family
resided for some years. In 1876 they spent the winter in California, after
which tliev returned to their former home in Kansas. In 1881 the parents
moved to a farm in Oketo township, where they now reside, all of which is
well improved and under a high state of cultivation.

To John and Catherine Schmidler have been born the following children :
j. G., Theresa, Anna, Sophia, Lulu, Elsie, Agatha, John H. and Henry W.
Theresa Bommer is now a resident of Oketo township; Anna died in 191 5;
Sophia is the wife of 1. J. xA.dams, of Cleveland, Ohio; Lulu is the wife of
A. R. Young, who is city engineer of TojDcka ; Elsie is a successful teacher
in the schools of Blue Rapids ; Agatha is at home ; John H. is a successful
farmer and resides two miles south of Oketo and Henry W. is one of the
successful farmers of Oketo township.

J. G. Schmidler, after completing his education in the common schools
of the county, attended a private normal school for some time and then
engaged in teaching, and was successfully engaged in that work for nine
years in the district school, after which he was principal of the Herkimer
schools for a year. While engaged in i:eaching, he spent his summer vaca-
tion in farming. He continued in his work as a teacher and a farmer until
T911, at which time he took charge of the bank, where he is still the efficient
cashier. In addition to his interest in the bank, he is the owner of one hun-
dred and three acres of splendid land and a half interest in one hundred
and sixty acres with his father.

In June, 1901, J. G. Schmidler was united in marriage to Minnie M.
Cottrell, who was born in Oketo township and is the daughter of Robert
and Sarah Cottrell, old settlers of the county. Her parents came to the
county in an early day, and established themselves on a farm, which they
developed and improved, and here they lived for many years, dving some
years ago. They devoted their lives to the interests of their family and the
good of the community in which they lived, and were held in the highest



564 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

regard. Their lives were active ones, and they had much to do with the
growth and the development of the district. They were progressive people
and to them is due much of the advanced condition of the community. They
took great interest in the welfare of their children and were much concerned
in the good of the neighborhood.

To J. G. and Minnie M. Schmidler have been born three children,
Marjorie Lenore, aged fourteen years : John Carlisle, aged twelve and Lorna
Katherine, aged eight years. Mrs. Schmidler is a graduate of the Marys-
ville high school, and after completing her work in that institution, she taught
in the schools of that place for a number of years, with much success. As
a teacher, !Mrs. Schmidler was recognized as one of the most proficient in
th& county.

The life of Mr. Schmidler has been an acti\'e one. When but a lad
of eight years he herded cattle on the plains and was engaged in this work
until he was twelve years of age. As a lad he was ever busy in useful occu-
pation, and during his active life he found but little time for vacations. He
is an independent in politics, yet takes much interest in local affairs, and has
had much to do with the civic life of the community in which he lives and
where he is held in the highest regard.



ORLIN PEARL WOOD, M. D.

Of the many progressive and well-known men of Oketo, Marshall
county, who have won distinction in their chosen work and have met with a
large measure of success, is Dr. Orlin Pearl Wood, who was born in Coffey
county, Kansas, the son of William H. and Emma Alice (Beaumont) Wood.

William H. Wood was born in Ohio in 1840 and his wife is a native
of the state of Maryland. They are of old and w^ell-established families,
whose lives have been closely associated with the growth and development
of American institutions. Representatives of the family won distinction in
the occupations and professions of their home communities and were ever
held in high regard by the residents of their home districts. William H.
Wood w'as reared in his native state and there he received his education in
the common schools and engaged in agricultural pursuits. At the outbreak
of the Civil War he w^as one of the first to offer his services in the defense
of the flag of his country, and enlisted in the First Ohio Regiment, Light
Artillery. He saw much active service and at the battle of Chancellorsville



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 565

he lost his right arm. Being unfitted for further service he returned to his
home in Ohio, where he remained until 1866, when he came to Kansas and
homesteaded a tract of land, six miles from Burlington, in Coffey county.
This farm he later developed and improved into one of the well-cultivated
farms of the district. He was an excellent farmer and a good manager and
soon became recognized as one of the prominent and successful men of the
countv. After many years of active life on his homestead he retired to
Burlington, where he now resides. His life has been an active one, and he is
today honored and respected by his neighbors and friends.

Doctor Wood was born on November 7, 1880, and received his early
educational training in the public schools of Coffey county and later attended
the high school at Burlington. After completing his high school work he
engaged in teaching and for one year followed that profession with marked
success. In 1807 ^^^ entered the medical school of the Kansas University, at
Kansas City, this state, and was graduated from that institution in 1900.
He entered tlie practice of his profession at Hall Summit, Kansas, where he
remained for twelve years. He then came to Oketo in 19 12, and here he
has met with much success, and is today known as one of the prominent men
in the profession in the county. He gives care and attention to his patients
and by his professional dignity and close attention to business, he has won
the confidence of the entire community. Some years ago he took post-
graduate work in the University of California, in order to better prepare
himself for his work. His worth as a physician and surgeon has been recog-
nized bv the management of the Union Pacific railroad and is their district
surgeon.

In 1904 Doctor Wood was united in marriage to Jessie A. Barnard, of
Hall Summit, Kansas, and to them has been born one child, Merrill, aged
ten years. Doctor and Mrs. Wood are active members of the Methodist
Episcopal church and have long been prominent in the social and the religious
life of the community, where they are held in high regard. Mrs. Wood is
an excellent woman and by her kindly disposition has made friends.

Fraternally. Doctor Wood is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Politically, he is



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 53 of 104)