Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 72 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 72 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


dred and sixty acres in Murray township, is a native of Illinois, but has been
a resident of Kansas since 1881. He was born in Peoria county, Illinois,
August 12. 1842, son of Patrick and Rosa Smith, natives of Ireland.

In 1 88 1 John Smith came to Kansas with his family from Illinois and
bought a farm in Murray township, the place where he still makes his home,
and proceeded to develop the same. After he had made considerable and
substantial improvements on the farm another claimant appeared on the
scene, claiming prior rights, and Mr. Smith had to pay for his farm a
second time, the place thus costing him nineteen dollars an acre, together
with interest on the sum claimed by the man who entered prior claim. This
setback, together with poor crops during the early years of his farming, gave
Mr. Smith a touch of hard times which he will never forget, but he pushed
along and presently began to prosper, in time having his farm well improved
and profitably cultivated. In addition to his general farming he has always
given considerable attention to the raising of live stock and has done very
well. Mr. Smith is a Democrat and has ever given a good citizen's atten-
tion to local civic affairs, but has never been a seeker after public office.

In 1868, while living in Illinois, John Smith v/as united in marriage to
Mary Hill, who was born in Pennsylvania, and to that union fourteen chil-
dren were born, twelve of whom are still living, namely: Patrick, a farmer;
Mrs. Alary Doren, of Alurray township; John, who is now living in Colo-
rado; Mrs. Rose Gudbolt, of Axtell, this state; Mrs. Maggie Peterson, of
Atchison; Mrs. Elizabeth Yoder, of St. Joseph, Alissouri; Catherine, who is
at home ; Airs. Anna Tubby, of Nebraska ; William, of Colorado ; Mrs. Alice



736 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Ruggles, of St. Joseph ; ]\lrs. Helen W'hittaker, of Kansas City, and Robert,
at home. The mother of these children died at her home in Murray town-
ship on April 8, 191 5. at the age of sixty-three years and twenty-five days.
She was a faithful member of the Catholic church, as is Mr. Smith, and their
cliildren were reared in that faith, the family ever taking a warm interest in
parish affairs.



PETER S. CAIN.



Peter S. Cain, one of the well-known and successful farmers of Guit-
tard township, ^Marshall county, was born in a log cabin on the present farm
on June z"], 1871. and is the son of Edward and Johanna (FitzGerald) Cain,
natives of Ireland, where they were educated, grew to maturity and were
later married. While yet young they came to the United States, where they
became pioneers of Alarshall county, and here they spent their last days,
honored and respected citizens, and where they had much to do with the
general growth and development of the township and the countyy.

Edward Cain was born in County ]\Ieath, Ireland, in 1826, and at the
aee of twentv-six vears came to this countv and located in the state of
Massachusetts, where he remained for five years, becoming a citizen of the
United States. In 1857 he moved to Illinois, where he remained until 1858,
when he came to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he lived until the next year
when he came to Marshall county. Here he pre-empted a quarter section of
land in section 17, in what later became Guittard township, and thus became
one of the earliest landowners in ]*klarshall county. At Atchison, Kansas, he
was married in 1861, and during the Civil ^^"ar he was engaged with the
government in the steamboat service between St. Joseph and Kansas City.
As a lad and young man in his native country he had learned the lesson of
economy rfnd during his service on the steamboat he saved his wages so that
he might improve the farm he had obtained. In August, 1865, after the
close of the war. he brought his family to his claim and here they estab-
lished their permanent home. He built a log house and stable and at once
began the task of developing the farm according to the high standard that he
has set. By hard work and close economy, together with close application
to business, he prospered and he soon enjoyed a large measure of success
as a general farmer and stockman. He increased his land holdings and
became the owner of four hundred and forty acres of most excellent land,
all of which he put under a high state of cultivation. He built a fine house




MR. AND MRS. PETER S. CAIN.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 737

and other good and substantial farm buildings and here he made his home
until the time of his death on April 20, 1894. Mr. Cain was associated
vvith the Democratic party and always took a keen interest in local affairs.
He assisted in the organization of Guittard township and in the organization
of his home school district, the school house having been built on his farm.
He and his wife were devout members of the Catholic church, and saw the
little parish grow from a very few families to one of large proportions, and
became a great factor for good in the community.

On December 22, 1861, at Atchison, Kansas, Edward Cain was united
in marriage to Johanna FitzGerald, who was born in County Limerick, Ire-
land, in 1832, and who came to the United States in 185 1 and located at
Baltimore, Maryland, where she remained for six years, after which she was
a resident of Chicago for two years, when in 1858 she came to Atchison,
Kansas, where she met and married .Mr. Cain. To this union the following
children were born: Peter S. ; James H., who married Mary A. Cook and
resides at Beattie, where he is engaged in the stock business; Mary E., who
married Henry G. Frisch, of near Billings, Oklahoma; John F., a railroad
conductor, married Mary A. Scanlon and they reside at Lincoln, Nebraska,
and Patrick W., the first born, who married Mary A. Schaaf, and is now
one of the best-known and successful farmers and stockmen of Marshall
county. Mrs. Johanna Cain was of a most retiring disposition, though most
kind and generous to her neighbors and friends. Her life as a pioneer on
the plains of Kansas, was a worthy one and at her death on November 12,
191 1, she was mourned by a large circle of friends, who had known and
learned to love her during her many years of residence in the community.

Peter S. Cain received his education in the local schools and grew to
manhood on the home farm, where as a lad and young man he assisted with
the farm work. He also attended school at Beattie, in the old building, a
part of which is now used as a coal house for the school. After completing
his education, he was a member of the police force at Lincoln, Nebraska,
from 1906 to 1907, when he resigned and returned to his father's farm. The
place being at that time held as an estate, he and his brother purchased the
interest of three of the heirs, Peter S. obtaining one hundred and twenty
acres. This he farms, in addition to forty acres of rented land of his sisters
and one hundred and twenty acres of his mother's estate; he also owns one
hundred and sixty acres in Texas. He is a progressive farmer and success-
ful stockman and is recognized as one of the substantial men of the town-
ship. He is a shareholder of the Farmers Telephone Company and has

(47)



738 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

always taken a keen interest in local affairs. As a Democrat, he was
appointed deputy sheriff of Marshall county in 1906, which position he held
for a number of years, and is still serving under the present sheriff, having
served in all ten years in this capacity.

On January 4, 1904, Peter S. Cain was united in marriage to Catherine
Scanlon. who was born on June 12, 1881, in Ballymote, County Sligo, Ire-
land, where she resided until she was twelve years of age. At that time she
came to the United States and made her home with her sister, Mary, who
was the wife of John F. Cain, a l^rother of Peter S. Cain. Catherine (Scan-
lon) Cain is the daughter of James and Ann (Davey) Scanlon, both of whom
were natives of Ireland, where they spent their lives and where they died
before Mrs. Cain came to this country. After coming to this country Mrs.
Cain engaged as a milliner and is a graduate of the Madison Hunt's Millinery
School of Chicago, Illinois. She was engaged in her work in the city of
Chicago for a number of years, after which she returned to Lincoln, Neb-
raska, where she was employed in Charles Bryan's printing and publishing
establishment and also on the Frcic Press, a German publication. She is a
woman of unusual ability, and of high moral and intellectual capabilities.

To Peter S. and Catherine Cain have been born the following children :
Emmett P., born on May 31, 1912; John R., August 15, 1914; Retta Rose,
September 19. 19 16, and a twin to Rita Rose, who died in infancy. Mr. and
Mrs. Cain are earnest members of the Catholic church and are prominent in
the social life of the community, where they are held in the highest regard
and esteem by all who know them. They take the greatest interest in the
welfare of their children, and their home life is one of the most pleasant in
the county. They take much interest in the growth and the development of
the educational and moral growth of the home district, and their efforts are
always exerted for the promotion of those enterprises that will tend to make
the townsfeip and the county a better and more ideal home district.



GEORGE B. LAYTON.



George B. Layton, one of the prominent and well-known farmers and
stock raisers of Blue Rapids City township, Marshall county, and at present
one of the commissioners of the county, was born in Union county, Kentucky,
on April 28, 1864. and is the son of James and Elizabeth (McClure) Layton.

James and Elizabeth Layton were natives of Kentucky and Virginia,



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 739

respectively, the father having been born in the year 1838 and the mother in
1843. The parents received their education in the schools of Kentucky and
Virginia. Shortly after their marriage, they came to Marshall county and
established their home on a farm four miles south of Irving, where the father
engaged in general farming until the time of his death in 1870. Some years
after the death of her husband, Mrs. Layton was united in marriage to Dewit
C. Calhoun, a native of Indiana, and who came to Kansas in 1872. George
B. Lavton was the eldest of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Layton, the others
being Charles, now of New Mexico, where he is engaged in stock raising,
and James M. of Irving, Mar.shall county, where he is a general farmer and
stockman. To Mr. and Mrs. Calhoun was born one child, Francis, now a
resident of Kansas City, Missouri. Mrs. Calhoun is now a resident of New
Mexico.

George B. Lavton received his education in the schools in Marshall and
Riley counties, Kansas. His father having died when he was but six years
of age, he was soon thrown on his own resources. He being the eldest of
the family, at an early age assumed the responsibilities of looking after
the interests of his mother and the other members of the family. At the
age of twenty he was working as a farm hand at thirteen dollars per month.
In 1886 he rented land near Irving, and engaged in farming for himself.
The next vear he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres,
which was at that time improved with only an old stone house and a small
horse stable. Since that time he has erected a splendid nine-room, modern
brick house. The house is supplied with hot and cold water and gas lights
and is one of the well finished homes in the county. In 1904 he built his fine
barn, fortv bv one hundred feet, one of the best in the township. His farm
is recognized as one of the best tracts of farming land in the county, and Mr.
Layton has it all in a high state of cultivation. Where once stood the old
stone house and a shed for a barn, now stands one of the finest houses and
best barns in this section of the state, and where was then seen the unbroken
and undeveloped prairie land, is now seen beautiful fields of golden grain
and, pasture with numbers of fine horses and cattle and droves of hogs.

Politicallv, Mr. Layton is identified with the Republican party and has
for a number of years been recognized as one of the leaders of the party in
the county. He is a man of exceptional ability and excellent judgment. His
worth and ability were recognized in 19 12, when he was elected to the impor-
tant position of countv commissioner. In this position he gave valuable
service, and the confidence placed in him was not misused. In 1916 he was
again solicited to accept the position and he was re-elected by an increased



740 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

majority. He represents the second commissioners' district of the county
and aside from his duties on the board and cm his farm, he is engaged in the
buikhng of good roads. He has made the latter work a study and has given
it particular attention and is known as one of the most successful builders of
good highways in this section of the state.

On May 7, 1889, George B. Layton was united in marriage to Jennie
L. Rodkey, a native of Huntington county, Indiana, where she was born on
j\Iarch 14, 1865, and is the daughter of Joseph and Frances (Dohner) Rod-
key. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania and when but children
moved to the state of Ohio with their parents, and were there educated in the
pu1)lic school and were married. They later moved to Indiana, where they
established their home on a farm in Huntington county. In the fall of 1880
they came to Kansas and they located on a farm in Blue Rapids City township,
where the father engaged in general farming and stock raising until his death
in 1907, since which time the mother has made her home with her daughter,
Mrs. Layton. Mr. and Mrs. Rodkey were always held in the highest regard
by the people who knew them. At the death of the husband and father, the
family lost a kind and affectionate father and the community one of the best
and most honored residents. Mr. and Mrs. Rodkey were the parents of ten
children, six of whom are now living: John J., of Blue Rapids; Clayton, a
well-known and successful farmer of Blue Rapids City township; Abraham
Lincoln, of Oklahoma; Mrs. Anna Koutz. of Nebraska City; Jennie L. and
Grant C, a resident of Colorado.

To Mr. and Mrs. Layton have been born three children, Fred M., Anna
V. and Charles F. Fred received his primary education in the public schools
of Marshall county and completed the course at the Kansas Agricultural and
Scientific College at Manhattan, Kansas; Anna is a graduate of the Blue
Rapids- high school and of the college at Manhattan, and is now one of the
successful teachers of the state, being assistant principal of the high school at
Kensington, Smith county, Kansas; and Charles is attending Manhattan Col-
lege, where he is taking a veterinary course. Mr. and Mrs. Layton are
prominent members of the Presbyterian church and have long been active in
the social and the religious life of the community. They are members of the
Knights and Ladies of Security and have had much to do with the success
of the local society. They have long taken an active interest in the moral
and educational development of their township, and feel that in the schools
of the district much of its greatness depends.

Mr. Layton has lived an active life and through his own efiforts he has
risen to a position of honor and influence. He has seen many changes in



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 74I

the country since he first came here from his Kentucky home, the trip hav-
ing been made by his father and mother with horses and wagon. His first
home in the county w^as at the junction of Bhie river and Black Vermillion
river. There the father erected a small log house in which the little family
lived for some years. The roads were at that time most impassable and much
of the district was undeveloped and unimproved. In all this wonderful
transition, Mr. Layton has had his part and to him and such as he, is due
much honor.



ARTHUR T. JONES.



One of the well-known and successful farmers and stockmen of Guittard
township. Marshall county, is Arthur T. Jones, who was born in the town-
ship on March 2y, 1885, and is the son of Peter and Emma (Totten) Jones,
pioneers of Marshall county, the former of whom died in 191 1 and the latter
of whom is now living on the old home place.

Peter Jones came to Marshall county wdien the land was still open for
pre-emption and when there were but few settlers in the district. On coming
to Kansas he first settled in Nemaha county, where he remained but a short
time, after which he came to Marshall county and pre-empted land in Guit-
tard township. Here he obtained one hundred and sixty acres of land and
established his home. At the time he made the settlement he had a team of
oxen and no wagon, and it was necessary for him to drive to St. Joseph in
order to obtain one. Before starting home he loaded his wagon with doors,
sashes, flooring and roofing, to complete a stone house that he had erected
on his claim. The house is still standing and with the many improvements
that have been made to it, is still the residence of the widow, who is one of
the honored pioneers of the county. After completing his house, Peter Jones
proceeded to break up his farm and prepare it for the crops which he later
planted. In time his farm became known as one of the best developed and
most highly improved places in the township. He always took great pride
in the upkeep of his farm and buildings, and at his death, the place was a
splendid monument to his energy and ability as a farmer. When he first set-
tled in this community, the Indians were still very numerous, and at one time
there were two hundred encamped on the farm, and there is still evidence
of their camp on the farm at the present time. At that time the nearest
market was at Beatrice, Nebraska, to which place Air. Jones hauled his first
grain from the farm. The wheat of that first crop was cut with a scythe and



742 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

threshed with a flail. Deer were numerous along the timber tracts and there
were numerous herds of buffalo on the plains. Mr. Jones often eng'aged in
the hunt for the deer and on different occasions he took part in a buffalo
hunt, in the more western part of the state, where he was for .some time
manaeer of a larq-e ranch. The home w^as near the old trail, over which the
government trains would make their slow progress toward "Pikes Peak,"
and the slowly moving wagon trains could be seen from the house. Those
caravans were eagerly watched for, as they had much to do with breaking
the monotony of the lonely life on the plains at that time. Mr. Jones always
took much interest in the development of the district and in the civic life of
the townshij) in which he lived, and in which he and his wife had so much
to do with the general development and growth.

Arthur T. Jones received his primary education in the district schools
and later graduated from the high school at Beattie and in 1907 he attended
the business college at Grand Island, Nebraska. That same year he returned
to the home farm, which he operated for two years, when he then rented a
farm for three years. He then came into possession of eighty acres of land,
a part of his present farm. This he farmed and in addition he operated a
tract of eighty acres of the old Thorn place. He later rented eighty acres
from his brother, A. G. Jones, which he continued to operate until 19 12. He
then built a splendid house and barn on his own place, where he now lives
and where he is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of prime land.
Here he is engaged in general farming and stock raising and is meeting wath
much success. He keeps a fine lot of cattle, Duroc-Jersey hogs and Perch-
eron horses, and is today recognized as one of the substantial men and suc-
cessful farmers and stockmen of the county.

On March 10. 1909, Arthur T. Jones was united in marriage to Bertha
A. Stevenson, who was born in Richland township, Marshall county, on
August 7,' 1885. She is the daughter of Milton L. and Mary (Easterly)
Stevenson, prominent residents of the county. They were natives of the
state of Iowa, where they received their education in the public schools, grew
to maturity and were there married. They later came to Marshall county,
where they now live two miles w-est of Axtell.

To Arthur T. and Bertha A. Jones have been born two children, Stewart
L. and Dwight A. Stewart L. was born on May 7, 1913, and D wight A. on
September 19, 1915. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are prominent members of the
Methodist Episcopal church and are active in all moral, social and religious
work of the township. They take the greatest interest in the educational



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 743

development of the district and are strong advocates of the best class of pub-
lic schools that it is possible to have. Mrs. Jones, having graduated from
the local schools, attended the Emporia Normal school and was for four
years one of the successful teachers of the county, fully realizes the great
importance of the high standard school. Mr. Jones, a graduate of the high
school and having taken work in a business college, is also in accord with a
high standard of schools. To him good schools and well-built roads are
two of the essentials in the development and growth of any community.
Politically, Mr. Jones is identified v/ith the Democratic party, and while he
is not an office seeker, he has always been active in the affairs of the town-
ship, and is a firm believer in selecting competent men to administer the
affairs of the township and the county, rather than voting for men because
they are identified with any particular party.



LEWIS R. HOWELL



Lewis R. Howell, a well-known and substantial farmer of Center town-
ship, is a native of Illinois, bom on a farm in Will county, that state, August
26, 1850, son of William and Sarah (Rodgers) Howell, the former a native
of New Jersey, born on May 6, 1826, and the latter, of Pennsylvania, born
on November 28, 1828, whose last days were spent in Illinois. In 1849, the
year of his marriage, William Howell located in Will county, Illinois,
later moving to Lee county, that state, where he spent the remainder of his
life. Durinof the Civil War he enlisted as a member of one of the Illinois
regiments, but never saw any active service at the front. He was mustered
out at Springfield, Illinois, in October, 1865. He and his wife were mem-
bers of the Methodist church and their children were reared in that faith.
Thev were the parents of eight children, six of whom, three sons and three
daughters, are still living. Of these the subject of this sketch is the eldest.
William Howell died in October, 1899. His wife had preceded him to the
grave more than six years, her death having occurred on February 20, 1893.
Both are buried in the cemetery at Pawpaw, in Lee county, Illinois.

Reared on the home farm in Illinois, Lewis R. Howell received his
schooling in the schools of that neighborhood and there grew to manhood.
In 1878 he came to Kansas and bought a farm in Rice county, but two years
later disposed of his interest there and on August i, 1880, came to Marshall
countv. Upon his arrival here he rented a farm and was engaged in the



744 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

cultivation of the same for two years, at the end of which time, in 1882, he
bought a farm near Beattie. A year later he sold that farm and in 1883
bought the farm on which he is now living, in section 34 of Center township,
established his home there after his marriage two years later and has ever
since lived there, he and his family being comfortably and pleasantly situ-
ated there. Air. Howell is the owner of a fine farm of three hundred and
ninety-nine acres, which he has improved in excellent shape and on which
there are six or seven acres of natural timber.

On July 8, 1885, Lewis R. Howell was united in marriage to Millie
Crevier, who was born in Doniphan county, this state, one of the fourteen
children born to Charles C. and Tarsel (Market) Crevier, natives of Canada,
who settled in this county about 1870. Charles C. Crevier was a dealer in
furs in Canada and traveled extensively until forty-two years of age, when
he came to Kansas and settled in Doniphan county, later coming to JMarshall
county, where he and his wife spent their last days. To Mr. and Mrs.
Howell four children have been born, namely: Fred, born on May 29, 1886,
who married Alary Hadorn and is now living on a farm in Wells township,
this county; Lawrence. February 21, 1889, who is at home and assists his
father in the management of the farm, and Alyrtle and Gertrude (twins),



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 72 of 104)