Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 74 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 74 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which he drove a stage through' Kansas to California. He returned to Kan-
(48)



754 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

sas and in 1859 took a homestead on Horseshoe creek, where he remained
until 1862, when he enHsted in a Kansas regiment and served three years
and a halt in the defense of his conntry. He saw much active service and
was twice wounded, once in the head and once in the body. After the war
he returned to Kansas, where he took a homestead in Marysville township,
Marshall county. This farm he developed and he engaged in general farm-
ing and stock raising until 1904, when he retired from the activities of farm
life and moved to IMarysville, where he died in 1910. His wife, Helen
(Class) Koppes resided in her native land until she was thirteen years of age,
when she came to the United States in 1856, and with her parents located in
\\'isconsin and there grew to womanhood and was later married. Mr. and
Mrs. Koppes were the parents of seven children as follow : Nicholas, George,
Abbie, Maggie, Lizzie, Francis and Katie. George is a farmer and stock-
man on the old liome place ; Abbie Kline lives in Logan township, where her
husband is a farmer and stockman ; Alaggie Kerchen is a resident of Marys-
ville township, where Mr. Kerchen is engaged in agricultural work; Lizzie
Travelute lives in Marion county, Kansas, where Mr. Travelute is engaged
in general farming and stock raising ; Francis and Katie are now deceased.
]Mr. and Mrs. Koppes were devout members of the Catholic church and
prominent in the local society. ]Mrs. Koppes took much interest in the
activities of the altar society until her death in 1898.

Nicholas Koppes, the subject of this sketch, received his education in
the public schools of Marysville township, and grew to manhood on the home
farm, where^as a lad he assisted his father with the work on the place. He
remained at home until he was twenty-four years of age, when he rented a
farm of one hundred and twenty acres, near Marysville, where he lived for
one year engaged in general farming, after which he purchased one hundred
and sixty acres of land, near Marysville, where he now lives and wdiere he
has been succeessfully engaged in farming and stock raising. He has added
to his original farm, until he is now the owner of five hundred and sixty acres
of excellent land, all of which is in a high state of cultivation and well
improved. He is much interested in the finest Shorthorn cattle and Poland
China hogs, having over one hundred and twenty head of the former and
one hundred and ten head of the latter. He feeds all the grain that he raises
on his farm, and then is recjuired to buy, in order to develop his many head
of stock. ]\Ir. Koppes has risen to his present prominent position, by hard
work and close application to business. He saw much of the hardships of
the early life on the plains and experienced many of the hardships of the



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 755

early pioneer. As a boy he worked at the breaking of the wild prairie sod,
when he was so small that it was necessary to place extra plow handles on
the breaking plow, so that he could reach them.

In 1890 Nicholas Koppes was united in marriage to Sarah E. Parker,
the daughter of Henry and Bridget (Malloy) Parker. Henry Parker was
born in England in 1832 and was reared on the farm and educated in the
public schools. At the age of twelve years he was brought to Canada where
he grew to manhood and there engaged in farming until 1870, when he came
to the United States, and located in Center township, Marshall county. Here
he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he developed and
improved and engaged in general farming and stock raising until his death
in 1892. Bridget Parker was born in Ireland in 1835; she was reared on
the farm and received her education in the common schools. She came to
Canada at the age of twelve years, and as a girl and young woman worked
for others until her marriage. Mr. Parker was a member of the church of
England and Mrs. Parker was a devout member of the Catholic church and
until her death in 1893, ^^'^s an active member of the altar society. Mr. and
Mrs. Parker were the parents of five children as follow : Mary Murphy,
now deceased ; Theresa Finegan, a widow now living in Marysville ; Sarah
E., the wife of Nicholas Koppes, and two that died in infancy.

Sarah (Parker) Koppes was born in Center township, Marshall county,
on August 2, 1 87 1, grew to womanhood on the home farm and received her
education in the local schools. Her early life was spent at the home of her
parents, where she lived until the time of her marriage. Mr. and Mrs.
Koppes are active members of the Catholic church and are prominent in the
social life of the community. Mr. Koppes is a member of the Knights of
Columbus and Airs. Koppes is one of the active workers in the altar society.
Mr. Koppes is identified with the Republican party and takes much interest
in the civic life of the district, }et he has never ])een an office seeker. Mrs.
Koppes is a member of the Royal Neighbors and takes much interest in that
organization. Mr. and Mrs. Koppes are the parents of six children as fol-
low: Francis N., Florence, Sadie, Wallace. Carl and Nicholas, Jr. Francis
N. is a well-to-do farmer of Elm Creek township ; Florence was born on Octo-
ber 2T,, 1895; Sadie, August 2t^, 1898; Wallace, November 14, 1901 ; Carl,
October 6, 1905, and Nicholas, Jr., December 9, 1910. The children are all
at home with the exception of Francis N. Mr. and Mrs. Koppes have a
beautiful home, which is nicely located, presenting a commanding view from
the distance.

Nicholas Koppes, by his own efforts and hard work, has won a place of



756 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

prominence in the vicinitv in \\hich he lives. Bei^nnnin^ Hfe a poor boy, he
has now one of the finest and best ini])r()\e(l farms in the township, and is
recognized as one of the snl)stantial men of the chstrict.



GEORGE GALLUP.



George Gallup, now deceased, and at one time a prominent and success-
ful farmer and stockman of Blue Rapids City township, ]\Iarshall county,
was born at Mason, Michigan, on October 23, 1841, and was the son of
Alfred and Nancy (Grey) Gallup, who were natives of Le Roy, New York.
The parents were educated in the schools of that state and there grew to
maturity and were later married. In 1839 they left New York and moved
to Michigan, where Mr. Gallup engaged in general farming and stock rais-
ing until his death in 1878, at the age of seventy years. Alfred and Nancy
Gallup were the parents of three sons, all of whom are now deceased. They
were much respected people and held in the highest regard throughout the
district in which they lived.

George Gallup w'as reared on the home farm in Michigan and received
his education in the schools of that state and later taught school for a num-
ber of years, at Le Roy, New York. While at Le Roy, he met and married
Caroline C. Hammond, who was born near that place on ]\Iarch 29, 1847,
and 'fs the daughter of Isaac and Amanda (Dunning) Hammond, natives of
Scipio, that state. Mrs. Gallup was the youngest of seven children and
received her education in the public schools and at Ingham University, after
which she taught school for one year. Her father was born on November
II, 1803, and died on February 27, 1866. He was a man of much ability
and a successful farmer. His parents were Luther and Mary Hammond,
also natives of the state of New York and were prominent people. The
family date the advent of their appearance in the United States to the time
of the "Mayflower". Both the Gallup and Hammond families have a family
history that gives an unbroken record for many generations.

George and Caroline C. Gallup were united in marriage on June 23,
1870, and the next year they left their home in New York and came to Kan-
sas. Here they established their home on a farm, where Airs. Gallup lives,
in Blue Rapids City township, Marshall county. A small frame house,
tw^enty by tw^enty-four feet, was erected and consisted of four rooms. There
was no other house so fine between their home and Marysville. and the people



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 757

of the prairie country considered the new home something to be exceedingly
proud of. Mr. Galhip and C. J. Brown laid out the Ridge road from Marys-
ville to Blue Rapids and always gave his best efforts to the development and
improvement of this section of the county. His worth and ability were recog-
nized by the people of the community and he was honored with many of the
local offices. The trust placed in him was never betrayed, for he gave the
people his very best services. To him is due much of the early progress of
the township and city of Blue Rapids. He was ever much interested in the
establishment of the best schools and churches; he was a strong advocate of
the building of good roads, and felt that the future greatness of the county,
depended much on its schools, churches and roads. He was an attendant at
the Presbyterian church and a liberal supporter of that denomination, as well
as assisting in the support of other denominations in the district. He was
an active member of the Knights and Ladies of Security.

As a farmer and stockman, Mr. Gallup met with much success and was
recos^nized as one of the influential and successful men of the countv. In
1886 he established a herd of Shorthorn cattle on his farm of four hundred
acres, and was soon able to place some of his animals on the market at the
highest market prices. He was a great reader and perhaps no man in the
county kept more abreast of the times than did he. He believed in progress
in all lines of work, and modern methods and modern machinery w-ere intro-
duced on his home farm. He did not believe that any one could make a
success of farming and stock-raising, unless he was a student of natural and
local conditions. In his death on April lo, 1914. the family lost a kind and
indulgent father; the wife, a loving husband and the community, a true friend.

To George and Caroline E. Gallup were born the following children :
Elmina L., Stella C., Ralph and Alfred H., the last two being twins. Elmina
L. is the widow of Rev. Samuel Mo}er. and makes her home w4th her mother.
She received her education in the public schools of her home county and com-
pleted the high school course at Blue Rapids and later studied at Kansas Uni-
versity. From the year 1900 to 1905 she was in the employ of the Dodd &
Mead Publishing Company at New York City in the Biblical-geographical
research library. She has two stepsons, Parkhurst A., a student in the Uni-
versity of Kansas, and Francis, a student of Washburn College. Stella C.
is the wife of Prof. Hamilton Cady of the University of Kansas. They have
three children. Ruth Caroline. George H. and Helen F. Mrs. Cady is a
graduate of the local high school at Blue Rapids and of Kansas University,
and is a woman of exceptional ability and culture. Professor Cady is a
man of high attainments and highly educated, and is at present professor of



758 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

chemistry aiul li(jui(l air. Ralph r\)rney is county engineer of Marshall
county, and resides at Marysville, and is also a graduate of the State Uni-
versity of Kansas, having- completed his work with the class of 1907. On
February 14. igio. he was united in marriage to Stella Hawkins and to them
two children have l^een born. Alice Caroline and Alfred F. Alfred Ham-
mond Gallup lives with his mother on the home farm and is a successful
young farmer and stockman. He is particularly interested in the breeding
of Shorthorn cattle and Poland China hogs, and is recognized as one of the
successful men in his line in the county. He was for several years in the
Agricultural College of Kansas.

Mrs. Gallup is a most pleasing woman and has many friends, who hold
her in the highest regard. She is an active worker in the Presbyterian church
and one of the favorites in the social life of the community, where she has
so long lived.



NEIL ROBINSON.



Among the native sons of Canada who have come to the United States,
where they have met with success as general farmers and stockmen, is Neil
Robinson, of Blue Rapids City township, Marshall county. He was born
at Peterborough, Ontario, on February 24, 1858, and is the son of John and
Elizabeth (Neely) Robinson.

John, and Elizabeth Robinson were natives of Yorkshire. England, and
Ontario, Canada. Mr. Robinson came to Canada with his parents when he
was but two years of age in 18 14. There he received his education in the
schools of his adopted country, and there he grew to manhood and married.
As a young man he engaged in farming, which work he followed until his
death in 1872. Six years after the death of her husband Mrs. Robinson and
her children came to the United States and located in Center township, Mar-
shall county, where she died in 1896 at the age of sixty-six years. Mr. and
Mrs. Robinson were held in high regard, and were active members of the
Methodist Episcopal church, always taking much interest in religious work.
They were the parents of nine children, one of whom is now deceased, and
Neil is the eldest of the family.

Neil Robinson was educated in the schools of Canada, where he lived
until he was twenty, when with his mother and the other children of the
familv he came to Marshall countv, where he has since resided. His father
had some time before his death purchased three hundred and sixty acres of



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 759

land in Center township, and it was there that the family first settled. The
place was undeveloped and without improvements of any kind. Here Neil,
with the assistance of his mother and the other members of the family, erected
a house, sixteen by twenty-four feet, in which they lived for a number of
years. Other improvements were made and they were soon engaged at the
task of putting the place under cultivation. In the spring of 1878, Mr.
Robinson succeeded in breaking sixty acres of the prairie tract, preparatory
to the planting of their crops. He remained on the home place, where he
assisted with the many duties on the farm, until 1886, at which time he rented
a farm in Elm Creek township and began farming for himself. In 19 13 he
purchased his present farm of three hundred and twenty acres, one of the
best farms in the township and nicely improved with a splendid house and
excellent barn. He has lately built a fine garage for the housing of his
automobile.

Mr. Robinson is a most successful farmer and a breeder of high-class
race horses. He has exhibited his horses at many of the fairs throughout
Kansas and Nebraska and has taken part in several successful races. He is
a great admirer of good horses, and was interested in racing while living in
Canada. He is one of the best judges of horses in this section of the state,
and the animals on his farm receive the utmost care and attention. In addi-
tion to his horses he also has high-grade cattle and hogs. He believes in the
thorough cultivation of the soil and his fine farm is an evidence of work in
that direction. He is a man who has the confidence and respect of his home
people, and in 1900 he was elected as trustee of Elm Creek township and
held the position for two years, after which he moved to Blue Rapids City
township, where in 19 16, he was elected trustee of that township. His
influence throughout the county was demonstrated in the spring of 19 16,
when he organized the County Fair Association. He made a canvass of the
county and sold shares of stock to nearly every prominent man who was
interviewed. Today the organization is one of the features of the county,
with Mr. Robinson as its president. As an organizer and an executive he
has few equals and much of the success of the new association is due to his
untiring efforts and ability, as well as his faith in the county to have a good
fair. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen and is one of their active
members.

On November 17, 1887, Neil Robinson was united in marriage to Edith
Brown, the daughter of Rev. George and Emma (Popplestone) Brown.
Edith Brown was born at Elmira, New York, April 3, 1869. Her parents
were natives of England, the father having been born in that country in 1844



760 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

and died in January. IU13; llic mother, who was born in 1840, is now hving
at W'amego. Kansas. They received their ethicatiun in the schools of their
nali\e country and there they grew to maturity and resided until 1866, when
the\- came to the United States. The father, as a young- man entered the
ministry and became a well-known Baptist divine. On coming to the United
States he located at Elmira, New York. In 1881 he came to Kansas and
located at Blue Rapids. He preached in many different towns of Kansas
and Iowa, his last pastorate being Clay Center, Kansas. He died in Wamego,
Kansas, January 11, 1913.

Edith ( Brown ) Robinson attended the schools of Blue Rapids and
specialized in music, also taking a course in New York. After completing
her education, she was a successful teacher of music. She is a woman of
rare attainments and greatly admired by her friends and acquaintances
throughout the county. Air. and Mrs. Robinson are the parents of five chil-
dren. Earl. Nellie, Russell, Fay and Ila. all of whom are at home with the
exception of Nellie, who is the wife of Carl Andrews. The family are
prominent in the social and the religious life of the community and are
among the well-known people of the county.



ALBERT L. JONES.



Albert L. Jones, one of Guittard township's representative farmers,
former clerk of that towaiship and now the township trustee, is a native son
of that township and has lived there all his life. He was born on the farm
on which he is now living, August 18, 1880, son of Peter and Emma (Tot-
ten) Jones, pioneers of Alarshall county, the former of whom died in 191 1
and the latter of whom is still living on the old home place.

Peter Jones was one of Marshall county's earliest settlers, having come
here back in the days when land was still open to pre-emption. Upon com-
ing to Kansas he had settled in Nemaha county, but after a short stay there
came over into Marshall county and pre-empted a quarter of a section in
Guittard township, where he proceeded to establish a home. He had no
w^agon, but he had a team of oxen and those he drove to St. Joseph, where
he bought a wagon. He loaded on this wagon doors and sashes and the
material for tiooring and a roof and returned with the same to his claim,
where he erected a stone house, which is still standing and which, with the
numerous improvements that have been made to it, continues to make a



>
a

M
O

:^

H





rw ^''



'< >



m\AC ^'



^\jBV-



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 761

comfortable home for his widow, who is still living there, one of the hon-
ored pioneer mothers of Marshall county. Peter Jones broke up his farm
with a team of oxen and soon had it under cultivation and in a way to the
later development that caused it to be regarded as one of the best-kept farms
in that part of the county. When he settled there Indians still were numer-
ous throughout this part of the state and for some time after locating on
that place there was a band of two hundred Indians encamped on the place,
the evidence of that aboriginal camp still being visible at the northwest cor-
ner of the farm. At that time the nearest market was at Beatrice, Nebraska,
to which place Mr. Jones hauled his first gathering of grain. The wheat
was cut with a scythe and was threshed with a flail. Deer still were numer-
ous along the timber line and the buffalo ranges still held numerous herds
of buffalo, Mr. Jones often engaging in a buffalo hunt, particularly over in
the western part of the state, where for some time he was manager of a
ranch. At that time the old government trains were still making the trip
west to Pike's Peak and the slowly-moving wagon trains could be seen from
the Jones place on the way west through this county.

Albert P. Jones was reared on that pioneer farm and received his school-
ing in the neighboring district school. From boyhood he was a valued
assistant to his father in the labors of developing and improving the home
place. Following his marriage he rented a portion of the farm and there
established his home. Upon the death of his father on February ii, 191 1,
he became heir to one of the eighties and is now the owner of a full quarter
section, on which he has made valuable improvements, including a modern
house and barn, and he and his family are very comfortably situated. Mr.
Jones is a Democrat and has long taken an active part in local civic affairs.
For some time he served as clerk of the township.

On May 3, 1905, Albert L. Jones was united in marriage to Lillie
Millikan, who also was born in Guittard township, this county, May 27,
1S85, a daughter of William and Belle (Thorn) Millikan, who were the par-
ents of four children, of whom Mrs. Jones was the second in order of birth.
William Millikan was born in Missouri and his parents were among the
earliest pioneers of Marshall county, having settled in the neighborhood of
Frankfort shortly after lands in this county were opened for settlement.
Belle Thorn was born in this county, on a pioneer farm in Guittard town-
ship, and was one of the first white persons born in that part of the county.
After her death Mr. Millikan married again and is now living in Kansas
City, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones four children have been born,
Albert P., jr.. Iris Belle, Peroy and Peter V. Mr. and. Mrs. Jones have a



762 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

very pleasant home and take a projier part in the general social activities of
their home community, helpful in advancing all good causes. Mr. Jones is
a niemher of the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen of the World and
takes an active interest in the affairs of the same.'



THOMAS JEFFERSON SUGGETT.

Thomas J. Suggett, one of the well-known retired farmers of Oketo,
Marshall county, was born in Detroit. ^Michigan, on July 25, 1855, and is the
son of John Pontiach and Clinda (Burgess) Suggett.

John Pontiach and Glinda ( Burgess ) Suggett, were born in England,
the former having been born in Durhamshire in 18 13 and died on June 7,
1874, and the latter was born in Somersetshire in 1827 and died on May 6,
1906. John P. Suggett was educated in the schools of his native country
and there he grew to manhood and learned the butcher trade. At the age
of twenty years he came to America and on his arrival in this country he at
once located in Detroit, where he was engaged at his trade and did butcher-
ing for the boats that plied on the lakes. Clinda Burgess, who became the
wife of Mr. Suggett, received her first educational training in the schools
of England, and when but ten years of age, she came with her parents to the
United States and with them settled in Detroit. There she completed her
education and grew to womanhood and was later married in 1847. Mr.
and Mrs. Suggett established their home in their adopted city and there they
lived until 1856, when they moved to Rock Island, Illinois. Mr. Suggett
continued in his work as butcher, supplying the steamers that plied the Missis-
sippi river with meat. After a residence of six years in that city the family
moved to Kansas, the trip being made by boat to Hannibal, Missouri, and
from there to St. Joseph by railroad. At St. Joseph Mr. Suggett purchased
a team of oxen and completed the journey to Marysville, Marshall county.
On his arrival in that town, he again engaged in the butcher business and
supplied meat to the soldiers. In 1869 he homesteaded a tract of land in
Oketo township and he and his boys built their first house. The logs were
obtained along the creek, a two-story building being erected, in which the
family lived for a number of years. Although the family was on the plains
and in a sparsely settled country, they always had a plenty to eat. Their
meat was obtained on the plains, where there was plenty of wild prairie
chicken, wild turkey, duck and buffalo. The latter were quite plentiful until



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 763

as late as 1872, and furnished fresh meat*for the family. That year most
of these animals had deserted the plains of this section of Kansas, but the
family had plenty of dried meat to last them well into the next year.

As time advanced. John P. Suggett put his farm into a good state of
development and had it well improved and he became a successful farmer
and stock raiser. He made his home one of the pleasant places of the county,
and there he and his wife hved until the time of their deaths. They were the



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 74 of 104)