Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 79 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 79 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and remained in Illinois until the spring of 1858, when he came to Kansas,
locating at Leavenworth, whence, the next year, in 1859, he came up into
Marshall county and pre-empted a cjuarter of a section of land in section 17,



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 8oi

township 2 south, range 9 east, later organized as Guittard township, and
thus became one of the earhest landholders of Marshall county. At Atchison,
in 1861, he married and during the Civil War was engaged in the govern-
ment employ in the steamboat service between St. Joseph and Kansas City.
Mr. Cain had learned the hard lessons of economy in his native land and
while steamboating saved his wages for the purpose of improving his farm
in Marshall county. In August, 1865, he came to this county with his family
and established his permanent home on his claim, building a log house on the
place and working early and late to bring the farm under cultivation and
improve it according to the high standard he had set.

Fate was kind to Edward Cain in his new home on what then was the
frontier of civilization in the West and he prospered, his brave heart and
willing hands standing the test. Times became better and he enjoyed a large
measure of success as a farmer and stockman, in due time coming to own
four hundred and forty acres of excellent land in this county. In 1892 he
built a fine frame house and then, apparently, when his life's dreams became
realities, his busy life came to a close, April ,20, 1894, on the old homestead,
where he had baffled the terrors of pioneers days and had won. Mr. Cain
was a Democrat and was always public spirited. He assisted in the organ-
ization of Guittard township and in the organization of school district No.
29, the school house in that district having been built on his farm. He was
closely identified with the activities of the Catholic church in that neighbor-
hood and saw the parish grow from its original number of eight families to
fifty families.

On December 22, 1861, at Atchison, this state, Edward Cain was united
in marriage to Johanna FitzGerald, who was born in County Limerick, Ire-
land, in 1832, and who came to the United States in 1851, locating at Balti-
more, Maryland, where she remained six years. She then spent two years
in Chicago and then, in 1858, came to Kansas, locating at Atchison, where
she met and married Edward Cain, and to that union were born four sons
and one daughter, of whom the subject of this sketch was the first-born, the
others being as follow: James H., who married Mary A. Cook and resides
at Beattie. where he is engaged in the live-stock business; Mary E., who mar-
ried Henry G. Frisch and lives near Billings, Oklahoma; John F., a railroad
conductor, who married Mary A. Scanlon and resides at Lincoln, Nebraska,
and Peter S., a farmer and stockman, who married Kathryn J. Scanlon and
resides on the old Cain homestead just north of Beattie. Mrs. Johanna Cain
was of a retiring disposition, yet kind and generous to her neighbors. The

(50



802 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

hand of time rested lightly on her and she lived to see her grandchildren to
the number of seventeen. Having assumed the cares and performed the
labors of pioneer life in Marshall county, and having done her duty as she
saw it, it may well be said that Mrs. Cain did her full share of the world's
work. On November 12, 191 1, at the old homestead, the scene of her cares
and labors for well nigh fifty years, she died at the ripe old age of eighty
years.

Patrick \\\ Cain was not yet three years of age when his parents set-
tled in Marshall county in August, 1865, and he grew to manhood on the
homestead farm in Guittard township. His first school days were spent in
the little old log school house located on his father's farm. When the school-
house site was changed to Beattie and the stone school house was erected
there, he attended school in the village and acquired a common-school edu-
cation. Being the eldest son, he was from the days of his boyhood an invalu-
able aid to his father in the labors of developing and improving the home
place. In the spring of 1894 he was married and he and his wife made their
home on a farm five miles northeast of Beattie. In the autumn of 1899 Mr.
and Mrs. Cain jointly purchased a farm of two hundred and forty acres in
section i of Franklin township and in the spring of 1900 moved to their new
home. On October i of that same year, rural free-delivery route No. i, out
of Beattie, was established, bringing the daily mail almost to their door, and
the telephone followed in quick succession; and in 1905 a new frame house,
with some of the modern conveniences, added another chapter to the develop-
ment of home life on the Cain farm. Mr. Cain has given much thought to
farm problems and, owing to the uncertainty of grain crops, and as a factor
in the upkeep of soil fertility, advocates the keeping of cattle on the farm,
and usually twenty-five or thirty head are kept on the Cain farm. In the
autumn of 19 15 Mr. Cain and his son, Daniel, bought four head of registered
Shorthorns as foundation stock for a Shorthorn herd.

On April 3, 1894, the ceremony taking place in the Catholic church at
Center, near Garrison, Nebraska, Patrick W. Cain was united in marriage to
Mary A. Schaaf, of that place, who was born at Iowa City, Iowa, January 3,
1866, daughter of George and Anna ( Deckert) Schaaf, natives of Europe, the
former born in Alsace and the latter in the kingdom of Bavaria, l30th now
deceased. George Schaaf was born in Lower Alsace, France, February 24,
1833, ^"^ came to America in 185 1, landing at Philadelphia, where he lived
for fourteen years and where he became a citizen of the United States. In
1858, at Philadlphia, he married Anna Deckert, who was born in Bavaria, Ger-
many, in 1835, and who came to America in 1842, with her parents, locating



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 803

at Philadelphia, where she lived for twenty-one. years and where she met and
married Mr. Schaaf. George Schaaf remained at Philadelphia until 1863,
when he came West with his family and settled at Iowa City, Iowa. Two
years later they moved to the vicinity of South Liberty, that same state, where
Air. Schaaf bought a (fuarter of a section of land and where he engaged in
farming and stock raising. Some years later he bought a tract of live hundred
and sixty acres of railroad land in the vicinity of Garrison, Nebraska, and in
1884 removed with his family to that place and established his home, becoming
a substantial farmer and stockman. George Schaaf was a man of fine char-
acter and of excellent business judgment. Possessed of that quality of
genius which has been defined as "a capacity for hard work," success crowned
his efforts and from time to time he purchased more land near Garrison,
until he became the owner of eight hundred acres. George Schaaf was one
of the leading factors in the Catholic church in his home parish at Center.
Politicallv, he was a Democrat and ever took a good citizen's part in the
public affairs of his home community. He died at his home near Garrison
on January 5. 1905, and it was afterward said of him that "The young man
who contemplates entering 'the university of hard knocks,' and who aspires
to become a good and useful citizen, will find much inspiration, in the life of
George Schaaf."

To George and Anna (Deckert) Schaaf were born five children, three
sons and two daughters, of whom Mrs. Cain was the second in order of birth,
the others being as follow: George J., who died on November 6, 1892, at
the age of twenty-nine years; Frank E., who married Gertrude McDunn and
now resides at Lincoln, Nebraska, where he is engaged in the real-estate
business; Anna G., who married August Bauermeister and resides at McLean,
Saskatchewan, Canada, and Albert J., who married Rose Vanderheiden and
resides at Columbus, Nebraska. Mrs. Anna Schaaf, the mother of these
children, survived her husband more than five years and her last days were
spent in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bauermeister, at McLean, Saskatche-
wan, where her death occurred on May 22, 191 1, at the ripe old age of
seventy-five years. Mrs. Schaaf was of genial disposition and was devoted
to her home and family. She was a woman of tact and good judgment and
rendered valuable assistance to her husband in his business affairs. She lived
to see her grandchildren to the number of fourteen.

To Patrick W. and Mary A. (Schaaf) Cain seven children have been
born, three sons and four daughters, namely: Anna Eveline, one of Mar-
shall county's successful school teachers; Daniel O'Connell, who was gradu-
ated from the Beattie high school and is now aljly assisting his father in the



804 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

management of the farm, giving particular attention to the live stock; Eleanor
Marie, Gertrude Rose and Thomas Jefferson, who are afflicted with defective
hearing and are attending the Ephpheta School for the Deaf in Chicago;
Genevieve, who died in infancy and Vincent LaFayette, who died in his
eleventh year. Mrs. Cain is a splendid type of the home-loving woman and
she and her husband have worked hard that their children might receive a
good education and enjoy some of the advantages of life in this generation.
Yet, things have not always come their way. True, there were good days ā€”
days when fate seemed very kind, when, in a measure, "love's young dream"
came true, but there were dark days, too; notably, July 23, 1913 ā€” a day
never to be forgotten ā€” when their son, Vincent LaFayette Cain, a bright and
most lovable child of ten years, died of diphtheria.

In politics, Mr. Cain is a Democrat and, while never seeking political
honors, is a close student of political questions. He holds that every Amer-
ican carries the grave responsibility of doing his own thinking and that the
citizen can best serve his country politically by heeding Washington's solemn
warning with respect to the baneful effects of the spirit of party. Mr. Cain
has a fine library and is enthusiastic on the subject of intellectual growth.
He believes that every American should read and think and grow with the
years. He also believes that there is no better way of improving the odds
and ends of time than by reading good books, and considers it a rare treat to
commune with the world's great minds. Mr. Cain believes that fraternal
organizations are among the necessities of modern economic society and he
is a member of the Modern Woodmen of Amercia, of the Knights of Colum-
bus and of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association, in the affairs of all of
which orders he takes a warm interest.



JOSEPH KRASNY.

One of the well-known residents and successful farmers and stockmen
of Cottage Hill township, also proprietor of the "Willow Springs Jersey
Farm," is Joseph Krasny, who was born in Bohemia, on March 4, 1872, being
the son of Frick and Frances Krasny, both of whom were natives of that
country, the former of whom died in his native land. After the death of the
husband and father, the mother with her three sons, Joseph, Emil and Gabriel
and a daughter, Mary, left Bohemia and came to the United States. On



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 805

111611" arri\al in this country they located in the city of Omaha, and there
Joseph Krasny, the subject of this sketch, Hved for sixteen years.

During his Hfe in the city of Omaha, Mr. Krasny was engaged as a
baker, and was for a time engaged in the large hotels of Omaha and Sioux
City. He was then with Fred Harvey, in the hotel business and spent two
years in Los V^egas, New Mexico, after which he spent some time in Cali-
fornia. Some time later he went to Nebraska and then returned to Sioux
City. He did much traveling and was over much of the western territory
of the United States. After having spent much of his early life in roaming
about, Mr. Krasny decided that he would engage in general farming and
stock raising.

Joseph Krasny was united in marriage to Rosa Nemechek on October
17, 1899, ^t Humbolt, Nebraska. Mrs. Krasny was born in Richardson
county, Nebraska, in 1884, and is the daughter of Frank and Kate Nemechek,
both of whom were natives of Bohemia. The parents were educated in the
land of their nativity and there they grew to maturity. On coming to the
United States they located in X^ebraska. where the father engaged in general
farming and stock raising with much success. His death occurred in 191 5
and the mother is now li\ing on the home place at the age of sixty-six years.

To Joseph and Rosa Krasny have been born the following children :
Joseph E., Jr., Minnie, Lillian, Elsie, Rudolph, Jessie and Edwin. The
children are all at home and Lillian and Elsie are twins. Mr. and Mrs.
Krasny are highly respected people in the community and are prominent in
the social life of the district. Mr. Krasny is a strong advocate of the
principles of the Socialist party.

In 1902 Mr. Krasny purchased his present farm in Cottage Hill town-
ship, and is now the owner of two hundred and eighty acres of splendid
land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation and nicely improved.
His large dairy barn is one of the best in the township and in 191 1 he built
his silo, sixteen by thirty-four feet, and in 19 14 he built the second silo,
sixteen by twentv-eight feet. He now has a fine herd of sixty-two registered
Jersey cattle. He has now been in the breeding and dairy business for
three years and has met with much success. The herd that he purchased
from Chester Thomas is one of the finest in the county, and his herd leader,
"Fern's Lad's Lost Time No. 95562," is a fine specimen of this breed of
cattle. Air. Krasnv is a member of the Southwestern Jersey Breeders Asso-
ciation and of the American Jersey Cattle Club. He lately exhibited his
animals at the Blue Rapids County Stock Show and carried away sweepstakes
and thirty dollars in premiums. Since that time his reputation as a breeder



8o6 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

and raiser of fine stock has become known throughout the district. He
sells many animals to those who are good judges of the better class of
cattle, and the products of his dairy are shipped to Concordia, where they
are always recognized as standard. During the year 19 15 he sold over
twelve hundred dollars worth of cream, in addition to over five hundred
dollars worth of male Jerseys. The feed for this magnificent herd is all
raised on the farm, with the exception of the cotton seed meal.

Mrs. Krasny is a great fancier of White Leghorn chickens and has
some of the finest in the state, and during the past year she sold over seven
hundred and fifty dollars worth of eggs and chickens.



ANDREW HIRT.



Andrew Hirt, one of the well-known and successful farmers of Cottage
Hill township, Marshall county, was born in the state of Pennsylvania on
April 3, 1856, being the son of Joseph and Isabelle (Turnbaugh) Hirt,
natives of Germany and Pennsylvania, respectively.

Joseph Hirt was born in 1826 and was educated in the public schools
of Germany and grew to manhood. In 1840, in order to escape military
service, he came to the United States and located in Pennsylvania, and later
did good service in the Civil \A"ar. ]\Irs. Hirt was born in 1834 and spent
her life in the state of her birth, wliere she died in 1916; her husband died
in 1904. They were the parents of ten children, nine of whom are now
living.

Andrew Hirt was the only one of the family to come to Kansas; he
located here on a farm in February, 1886. On July 30, 1882, he was united
in marriage to Annie Laura Rice, who was born on December 19, 1862, in
Pennsylvania, and is the daughter of George L and Kate Rice, both of
whom are natives of Pennsylvania and were members of old established
families, who had located in the state five generations before their birth.
The first member of the Rice family to locate in the state was Zachariah,
who came from Germany early in the eighteenth centurw He was the
father of twenty-one children and had one hundred and fifty-six grand-
children. Members of the family took an active part in the Revolutionary
War, as well as the War of 1812 and the Civil War. George L and Kate
Rice were the parents of nine children, three of whom came to Kansas, as
follow: Anna Hirt, of Cottage Hill township, Marshall county; Alberta



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 807

Arganbright and Milo M. Rice, both of whom are also Hving in Cottage
Hill township.

To Andrew and Annie Hirt have been born the following children :
Minnie Alice, who was born on January 29, 1884. and is the wife of LeRoy
Rodocker and is the mother of two children, Leila and Dorotha ; George
Joseph was born on December 15, 1889, and died on February 14, 1894,
and Charles Everett, who was Ijorn on January 26, 1895, and is now at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Hirt are active members of the Lutheran church and are prom-
inent members of the community.

When Mr. and Mrs. Hirt first came to Kansas they located in Cottage
Hill township, Marshall county, and there rented land of Jackson Thomas,
for seven years. They then purchased eighty acres of land two miles east
of Cottage Hill. This farm they developed and improved and there they
made their home for eight years, when Mr. Hirt traded the farm on his
present home place of one hundred and sixty acres. This place he has devel-
oped and improved with splendid buildings and today has one of the best
farms in the township.



T. ^r. >,IODEN.



Of the native-born Swedes who came to America and engaged in gen-
eral farming and stock-raising with much success, in Cottage Hill township,
Marshall county, was J. AL Moden, now deceased, who was born on Octo-
ber 4. 1857, and died on December 29, 19 15. Mr. Moden spent his early
life in the land of his birth and when twelve years of age came with his par-
ents, John and Anna Moden, to this country. On their arrival in the United
States the family located at Laporte, Indiana, where they remained for three
years, after which they came to Kansas and here established their home on
a farm southeast of W'aterville. Here J. M. Moden grew to manhood on
the home farm, and there his parents died some years ago.

On February 28. 1883, J. ^i. Moden was united in marriage to Amanda
Nelson, who was born in Sweden on October 15. 1861, being the daughter
of Daniel and Gustave Nelson. Her parents were also natives of that
countrv and there they resided until 1868, at which time the father came to
America and located in Riley county, Kansas, while the mother and the chil-
dren did not join him in the new land until 1880. The parents then lived
on the home farm until the time of their deaths, the father dying in 1895 '^^"''^
the mother in 1900. Mr. and Mrs. ^Moden were the parents of the following



8o8 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

chiltlren : l"nink, Clarence, Lillie and Melinda, all of whom are at home,
and Laura Anderson, now a resident of Riley county.

At the time J. M. and Amanda Aloden were married they moved to their
present farm, wliich at that time consisted of one hundred and sixty acres of
wild prairie, with not a tree or a shruh growing on it. This original farm
was later developed and at the time of the death of the husband and father,
thev were the owners of four hundred and forty acres of prime land, which
had been placed under the highest state of cultivation and improved with the
best buildings. The house, a beautiful structure, is a model and modern
home; the barns and other outbuildings are among the substantial structures
of the township. It was only by hard work and economy that Mr. and Mrs.
Moden made their work a success, for when they began their married life
thev were without funds and had no one to assist them. Not alone did they
work for themselves, but for the growth and betterment of the community
in which the}- lived and where they were ever held in the highest regard.
Airs. ]Moden now has the old home, just across the line in Riley county, and
one hundred and sixty acres of the estate. She and Mr. Moden were reared
in the faith of the Swedish Lutheran church; they were active in all church
work and were prominent members of the community. Mr. Moden was
not an office seeker, Ijut took the greatest interest in the affairs of the town-
ship and the county.



FRANK THOMSON.



Irving, ^Marshall county, and one of the beautiful and progressive little
cities of the state, has some splendid stores and business industries, among
the number being the one owned and operated by Frank Thomson, who was
born in Brooklyn, New York, on October lo, 1861, and is the son of John
and Margaret Thomson.

John and Margaret Thomson were natives of Edinburgh, Scotland, and
were educated in the schools of that country. John Thomson became a
soldier in the British army and was stationed in the fort at Quebec, Canada.
He later came to the United States and located at Brooklyn, New York,
where he worked at his trade as a printer. In 1870 he and his family came
to Kansas and established a home in Irving. He established the Irzing
Ga::cttc, which he published for five years; he died in the year 1880. His
wife, who was born in 183 1, is now living with her son. John and Margaret
Thomson were the parents of ten children, eight of whom grew to maturity :



H

02

Iā€” (

O
H

o

H
O

z

^.

o

w
o




TTT-



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 809

John, Bessie, Frank, Hugh, Margaret, Jean, Grace and Alice. John is a
resident of San Antonio, Texas; Bessie is the wife of Thomas J. Moxley, of
Blue Rapids, Kansas, now deceased; Hugh is a merchant of Irving; ]\Iar-
garet Filley is also a resident of Irving; Jean Moyer is now deceased and
Alice Lhotak is also deceased.

Margaret Thomson, the mother, is truly a pioneer, having come to
Canada almost eighty years ago, when that county was a wilderness and later
coming to Kansas, when every cow path was a road and one could travel
anywhere and everywhere without let or hindrance. She has voyaged across
the Atlantic ocean three times and in her seventy-seventh year made a trip
to California alone. Now in her eighty-sixth year, in full possession of all
her faculties, she is enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life, surrounded by
her children and grandchildren, who pay her homage.

Frank Thomson received his education in the schools of Irving and as
a lad began work in the store of E. Peterson, a well-known merchant of that
city. He remained in that store until 1892, when he began business for him-
self, and is today one of the successful and substantial merchants of the
town. He is most progressive and. by business-like and honest methods, he
has won the confidence of the people of his community, where he is held in
high regard.

In 1889 Frank Thomson was united in marriage to Minnie E. Wood-
man, of Oketo, Kansas, and the daughter of W. D. Woodman and wife, who
now reside at Vermillion. To Mr. and Mrs. Thomson have been born three
children, John W., Reginald G. and Mildred E. John W. is a graduate of
the home schools and of the University of Kansas and is now the efficient
principal of the high school at Kensington, Smith countv, Kansas ; Reginald
G. is a student in Baker University and will complete the course of studv
in the class of 191 7 and Mildred E. will graduate from the Battle Creek,
Michigan, Normal School of Physical Education in 191 7. Mrs. Thomson
and the children are members of the Presbyterian church, and Mr. Thomson
is a regular attendant and a liberal supporter of the local church. The
family have long been active in the social and educational life of the city,
where they are so well known and where they are held in much esteem. Mr.
and Mrs. Thomson, who have lived in the county for so many years, have
seen many changes in all lines of development. In 1870 when Mr. Thomson
came to Irving with his parents, there was then little that would indicate a
prospect of the present progressive and thriving little city. The wild prairies
and the wcoded tracts that surrounded the little town, ha\'e been transformed
into well-cultivated fields and farms, improved with splendid and modern



8lO MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

hiiilclinti^s. that would suj2:g:est an era of great prosperity. The territory was
then, ami for many vcars later, being settled by an excellent class of citizens,
whose ideals were of the highest and whose intentions were to make this
section of Kansas one of the most productive and progressive. Fn all this
great development ^Tr. Thomson has had his part, and in the management
of an up-to-date mercantile establishment, he has builded wiser perhaps,
than he thought.

Politically, Mr. Thomson is a Republican, and while not an ojffice seeker,
he has taken an active interest in the civic life of the city. He is a member



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 79 of 104)