Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 83 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 83 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


whom was but an infant. The widow, who was born Emma Behrens,
and her children were in a railway wreck at Randolph on October 16,
191 5, when a car carrying sixty passengers went into Fancy creek, and
the infant child of Mrs. Denlinger was drowned. Of the large number
of persons drowned in that wreck the body of Mrs. Denlinger's baby was
the only one not recovered from the water. Mrs. Denlinger was badly
injured in the w^eck, but recovered. She and her daughter, Venetia, make
their home w^ith the widow of her father-in-law on the Denlinger farm in
Rock towaiship.

On September 12, 1894. John W. Denlinger was united in marriage to
Mrs. Lena (Hildebrand) Oswald, widow^ of Andrew Oswald, whom she
married in 1886 and who died in 1891, leaving two children, daughters
both, Mrs. Anna Drennen, of Lenora, this state, and Mrs. Helen Blackney,
of Center township, this county. Mrs. Denlinger was born at Hanover,
Kansas, May 5, 1869, daughter of John and Dora (Brocker) Hildebrand,
natives, respectively, of Germany and of the state of Iowa, the former of
whom is still living, a successful retired farmer, now making his home at



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 839

Hanover. John Hildebrand remained in his native Fatherland until he was
seventeen years of age, when, in 1855, he came to the United States and
proceeded on out West to the then end of the railway line at St. Joseph,
Missouri, whence he walked over into this part of Kansas and presently
homesteaded a tract of land in Marshall county on which, after his marriage,
he established his home and became quite successful as a farmer and stock-
man, remaining there until his retirement and removal to Hanover, in the
neighboring county of Washington. His wife, mother of Mrs. Denlinger,
died in 1884. To John W. Denlingers' second union two children were
born, Floyd and Alta, both of whom are at home with their mother. The
Denlingers have a very pleasant home and have ever taken a proper part
in the general social activities of the community in which they live, helpful
in promoting all movements having to do with the advancement of the
common welfare thereabout.



JONATHAN CRAVEN LEWIS.

Jonathan C. Lewis, one of Franklin township's best-known and most
progressive farmers, clerk of that township and for years actively identified
with the promotion of the best interests of that community, is a native son
of Marshall county and has lived here all his life. He was born in a log
cabin on a pioneer farm in section 26 of Franklin township, June 5, 1879,
son of William and Maria (Bruitt) Lewis, pioneers of Marshall county,
further mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Lewis
died in 1913.

Reared on the home farm, in Franklin township, Jonathan C. Lewis
received his schooling in the old school house in district No. 105 and remained
at home, a valued assistant to his father and his brothers in the labors of
developing and improving the home place, and remained at home until he
was twenty-one years of age, when he began working on his own account,
taking employment as a farm hand at seventeen dollars a month, and was
thus employed for five years, at the end of which time he married and rented
a farm in Guittard township, on which he made his home for two years.
He then, in 1907, rented the place on which he is now living, a part of the
old home place. His father gave him eighty acres and he has continued to
make his home there, he and his family being very comfortably situated.
Some years ago Mr. Lewis built a new house, to which he is now making



840 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

an addition, which will increase the size to a nine-room house of two stories,
with heating plant. He also built a barn on his place and his farm is well
improved and skillfully cultivated. He now owns a full quarter of a section
of land, is quite extensively engaged in the raising of Shorthorn cattle and
is doing very well. Mr. Lewis is a Democrat and is now serving the public
in the capacity of clerk of Franklin township, a position to wdiich he was
elected in 191 3, and is giving his most thoughtful attention to the public
business.

On ]\Iarch 22. 1905, Jonathan C. Lewis was united in marriage to
Ottilie Hahn, who was born at St. Joseph, Missouri, April 24, 1880, daughter
of George and Ottilie (Engler) Hahn, natives of Germany, who w^ere the
parents of fourteen children, of whom Mrs. Lewis was the fifth in order
of birth and all of whom are living. George Hahn was born in Germany on
May 2, 1839, and remained in his native land until he was twenty-four years
of age, when he came to this country and settled at St. Joseph, Missouri,
where he established himself in business. Ten years later he returned to
the Fatherland and there married Ottilie Engler, who was born in Germany
on January 21, 1865. and wdth his bride returned to St. Joseph, where he
spent the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1907. His widow is now
living at Osawatomie, this state.

To Jonathan C. and Ottilie (Hahn) Lewis five children have been born,
namely: Gladys, who was born on December 14, 1905; Beulah, October 20,
1907; Mildred, January 26, 19 10; Herbert, October 9, 19 12, and Esther,
November 15, 1914. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis take a proper interest in the gen-
eral social activities of their home community and are helpful in promoting
all worthv causes thereabout.



THOMAS B. SMITH.



Thomas B. Smith, now deceased, at one time one of the well-known
and successful farmers of Alurray township, Marshall county, was born in
Banff, Scotland, on June 12, 1871, and w-as the son of John and Isabelle
(Metven) Smith.

John and Lsabelle Smith were also natives of Scotland and there received
their education in the public schools, grew to maturity and were married.
After their marriage they continued to live in the land of their nativity until
1883, when they decided to come to America, where they might make a home




THOMAS B. SMITH AND FAMILY.



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 84 1

for themselves and those dependent upon them. On their arrival in the
United States they located on a farm in Fremont county. Iowa, where they
spent the remaining days of their lives and where they were among the
prominent and highly respected people of the district.

Thomas B. Smith received much of his education in the schools of his
native land and in Iowa. He first came to Kansas with William Mawhor in
1887 '^^''cl assisted him in driving cattle to the state. Mr. Smith continued
this work for several years, when he later established his home in Marshall
county.

In 1898 Thomas B. Smith was united in marriage to Leah Alawhor,
who was born in Iowa in 1874 and is the daughter of William and Martha
(Songer) ]\Iawhor. the former having been l)orn in 1832 and died in 1901
and the latter was born in 1842 and died in 1887. Mr. Alawhor was a
native of Ireland and his wife was born in Illinois. For many years before
his death Mr. Mawhor was in poor health and went to Excelsior Springs,
Missouri, where he died. They were the parents of the following children :
Alice, Grace. Leah. Samuel and May. Alice is now deceased and Grace
and Samuel died in infancy : Leah is the widow of Thomas B. Smith and
Ma}' is the wife of Roy Mason, of Beattie. By a former marriage Mr.
Mawhor was the father of a son, Robert J., who now lives in Iowa.

After their marriage Thomas B. and Leah Smith established their home
on a farm four and one-half miles southwest of Axtell, where they lived
until 1902. when they moved to the present home farm, where Mrs. Smith
now has three hundred and twenty acres of splendid land, all vmder high
cultivation and well improved. The house is nicely located on a hill and is
well protected by beautiful trees, and surrounded by a well-kept lawn. Mr.
and Mrs. Smith were active members of the Presbyterian church and always
took much interest in the religious life of the township. Politically, Mr.
Smith was identified with the Republican party, yet he frequentlv voted for
men, regardless of party affiliations. He was a great home man and took
much pleasure in the company of his wife and children, and was a most
affectionate husband and kind father. He and ]\Irs. Smith were the parents
of the following children : Lawrence Darrell. who was born on April 27,
1899; Leah Alice. June 5. 1901 ; Howard Leverne. April 10. 1903, and Grace
Leora, January 4. 1908. On July 15, 1914, while 'Sir. Smith was assisting a
neighbor in threshing, he was killed by a stroke of lightning, at which time
a horse was killed and several of the other workers shocked. It was a most
peculiar circumstance, for there was but little indication of an electrical storm
and th;rc was but a small cloud in the sky. His death caused a gloom over



842 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

the entire comnuinitv, for he was a man who was held in the highest regard
and esteem hy all who knew him.

:\rr. Smith was a most progressive farmer antl stockman and was recog-
nized throughout the township as one of the snhstantial and successful men
of the county. His life was a most active one, and his untimely death cut
short a useful career. He was a firm believer in intensive farming and the
keeping of the best of stock, and his farm was one of the ideal places of
the district and his stock received the best care and attention. He always
took much interest in local affairs, and while he was not an office seeker, his
advice w-as often sought in matters perta;ining to the welfare of the township
and the county, and there were few men whose judgment was more w^orthy
of consideration.



JONATHAN C. PARTHEMER.

Jonathan C. Parthemer, one of the real pioneers of Marshall county,
the proprietor of a well-improved farm of one hundred and forty acres in
Wells township and one hundred and sixty acres in section 33 of Bigelow^
township and since pioneer days one of the best-known residents of that
section of the county, is a native of the old Buckeye state, but has been a
resident of Kansas since the days of his boyhood and has consequently been
a witness to the development of this section since the days of the early set-
tlement of this region. He was born in Union county, Ohio, March 28,
1854, son of J. S. and Maria (Clayton) Parthemer, natives, respectively,
of Pennsylvania and of Ohio, both of Virginia parentage, who later moved to
low'a and thence to Kansas, becoming pioneers of Marshall county, w^here their
last days were spent.

J. S. Parthemer was born at Middleton, Pennsylvania, September 2^.
i8i8,son of Jacob S. Parthemer, and in 1839 moved wdth his father to
Union county, Ohio, w'hence, in the middle fifties, he moved to Iowa, where
he remained but a few years, how^ever, coming to Kansas in 1859 and pre-
empting a tract of land one mile east of the Barrett settlement, w^here he
built a log cabin and established his home, one of the very earliest settlers
in Marshall county. He later moved from the farm to Barrett, where he
opened a grocery store, and in 1861 was appointed postmaster of that vil-
lage, his commission being signed by Abraham Lincoln, a position he held
for years and during which time he also was an active business man. influ-
ential in the labors of bringing about a proper social order in the early days



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 843

of the settlement. J. S. Parthemer also took an active part in the civic
affairs of the new settlement and was the first justice of the peace in Barrett.
He also served for some time as township clerk and as township treasurer
and in other ways did his part in the public service, while he and his wife
were ever active in church and other good works. J. S. Parthemer was
twice married. In 1841 he married Maria S. Amerine, who died, leaving
one son and four daughters, and in April, 1852, he married Maria T. Clayton,
who was born in Union county, Ohio, October 9, 1831, and to that union
was born one child, a son, Jonathan C, the subject of this sketch. J. S.
Parthemer died at his home in Barrett on December i, 1898, and his widow
survived him for more than ten years, her death occurring on March 3, 19 10.
Jonathan C. Parthemer was but an infant when his parents moved from
Ohio to Iowa and was about five years of a^e when they moved from the
latter state to Kansas. He grew up at Barrett, receiving his schooling in
the first school house built in Marshall county, old district No. i, at Barrett,
the same having been conducted by Mrs. Mary A. Stagg. His first job when
a. boy was herding sheep on the plains, later becoming a cattle drover, help-
ing to drive herds across the plains to Atchison and St. Joseph. Mr. Parth-
emer was the first person in Marshall county to use horses in the task of
breaking the prairie soil and was told by old settlers that he was foolish
for making the attempt, they holding that only oxen could be used in such
work, but young Parthemer went ahead with his team of horses and was
successful. By the time he was sixteen years of age he had saved money
enough to buy an "eighty," a part of his present home place, and early
began the improvement and development of the same. At fourteen vears
of age he secured the contract for carrying the mail on the star route from
Barrett to Seneca, making a trip once a week, on Saturdays, and in other
ways found outlet for his active energies, during the days of his boyhood.
After his marriage in 1874 Mr. Parthemer settled down on the tract he had
bought in Wells township and there lived until 1885, when he bought a half
section of land over in Norton county, on the extreme western edge of that
county, and made his home there for five years, or until 1890, when he sold
the place, upon the coming of the railroad, as a site for the present town of
Clayton. Upon disposing of his holdings in Norton county Mr. Parthemer
returned to his Marshall county home and has since resided there, having
one of the best-kept places in that part of the county. He now owns one
hundred and forty acres in the home place and a quarter section in section
33 of Bigelow township, and has long been regarded as one of the substan-
tial residents of that section of the county. In addition to his general farm-



844 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

ing. Mr. rarihenier has for years given his attention to the raising of cattle,
is also an extensive breeder of Dnroc-Jersey hogs, and has done very well
in his operations. Mr. Parthemer holds the original patent to his home
place, the same bearing the signature of A. Lincoln.

On October 4, 1874, Jonathan C. Parthemer was united in marriage to
Harriet Mosher. who was born in Knox county, Illinois, April 22, 1854,
daughter of Reuben and Mary (McCombs) Mosher, natives of New York
state, who came to Kansas in 1858 and settled in Nemaha county, where
thev spent the remainder of their lives, the former dying in September,
1885, and the latter, in March. 1902. To Mr. and Mrs. Parthemer four
children have been born, namely Mrs. Maude Wolfe, of Vermillion town-
ship, this county; Mrs. Daisy Stauffer, of Los Angeles, California; Mrs.
Pearl Whiting, of Blue Rapids, this county, and Jacob, born on December
22, 1893, ^'^'I'^o is at home, a valued assistant to his father in the manage-
ment of the latter's agricultural interests. Mr. Parthemer is a Republican
and has ever given his close attention to local political affairs, but has not
been a seeker after public office. He is a member of the local lodge of the
Modern Woodmen of America and takes a warm interest in the affairs
of that organization.



ROBERT WULLSCHLEGER. '

Robert Wullschleger, who for years was one of Marshall county's
best known and most successful building contractors, operating in part-
nership in that line with his brother, Jacob Wullschleger, but who since
1907 has been farming in Center township, where he has made a decisive
success of his farming operations, is a native of the republic of Switzerland,
but has l^een a resident of this country since 1882. He was born in the
canton Aargau, November 3, 1863, son of Isaac and Anna Wullschleger,
both natives of that country, who spent their lives there and who were
the parents of nine children, all of whom save the first-born, who died in
Switzerland, came to this county and further reference to whom is made
in a biographical sketch relating to Jacob Wullschleger, elder brother of
the subject of this sketch, presented elsewhere in this volume, to which
the attention of the reader is respectfully invited for additional informa-
tion in this connection.

Reared in his native Switzerland, Robert Wullschleger was early
trained to the trade of a carpenter, that having been his father's vocation.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 845

as was his elder brother, Jacob Wiillschleger, and in the fall of 1882 the
two brothers came to this country and located in Livingston county, Illi-
nois, expecting to engage there in building contracting. Not finding con-
ditions there to their liking, they came to Kansas and worked in and
about Wichita for a year, at the end of which time, in 1884, they came
to Marshall county and located at Marysville, where they found an excel-
lent field for their activities as building contractors and where they remained
in business for twenty-eight years, during which period they built many
of the best buildings, not only at the county seat, but in 'other parts of
the county, including nearly all the buildings at Home. In 1907 the brothers
retired from the contracting business and invested in farm lands in Center
township, where both are now living and where they are prospering. Rob-
ert Wullschleger first bought a quarter of a section, the place on which
he now lives, and as he prospered there bought a quarter section adjoining
on the west and is now farming the half section. In addition to his general
farming he is giving considerable attention to the raising of high-grade
live stock and is doing very well. His residence and farm buildings are of
an excellent type, designed throughout for comfort and convenience. His
residence is built of stone and is reached by a paved driveway. The farm
buildings are in keeping with the same, the farm plant being one of the
best and most substantial in that part of the county. Mr. Wullschleger is
a Republican and has given his earnest attention to local political affairs
since becoming a resident of Marshall county, but has not been a seeker
after office. He and his family are members of the Evangelical church
and take a proper interest in church work and other good works of the
community in which they live.

Robert Wullschleger has been twice married. It was in 1886, two
years after he located at Marysville, that he was united in marriage to
Louise Brandenburger, who died on February 5, 1892, leaving four chil-
dren, Robert and Richard, who are farming one of their father's farms ;
Freda, who is keeping house for her brothers, and Emma, who is at home.
On December 2, 1895, Mr. Wullschleger married, secondly, Elsie Keller,
also a native of the republic of Switzerland, who was born in the canton
Bern on October 15, 1871, a daughter of Samuel and EHzabeth (Luders)
Keller, who later became residents of this county and here spent their last
days. Mrs. Wullschleger has been a resident of this country since 1889,
when she and her brother, Amiel, came to Kansas and located in Marshall
county. A year later their father and their brother, Samuel, joined them
here and in 1891 the mother and Amelia, Albert and Fred came over and



846 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

joined the family. Mrs. Wullschleger's eldest sister. Bertha, lives in her
native land and she had another hrother. Gottfried, who died there. Samuel
Keller and his wife hoth died in 1909.

To Roller t and Elsie (Keller) Wullschleger six children have been
born, namely : Louise, who was graduated from the Marysville high school
and is now teaching school; William, born on June 21, 1900; Albert,
February 24. 1902; Emil, May 20, 1905; John, July 7, 1907, and Margaret,
January 4, 1909.



HANS P. LARSON.



The late Hans P. Larson, a substantial farmer and landowner of Rock
township, this county, who died at his home in that township in the summer
of 191 5, was a native of the far-away kingdom of Sweden, but has been a
resident of this country ever since he was twenty-one years of age. He
was born at Hallen, in Sweden, December 3, 1857, son of Lars and Mary
Hanson, natives of that same country, who came to America in 1880, pro-
ceeding on out to Kansas and settling in Marshall county, where two or
three of their children had preceded them some years before, and here they
spent their last days.

Upon attaining his majority, Hans P. Larson determined to try his
fortunes in the new land beyond the sea and in 1879 came to the United
States, proceeding to Kansas and joining his sister, Mrs. P. Johnson, in
^[arshall county. For a year after coming here he was engaged in railway
construction work at Vermillion and then went to Kansas City, where he
secured employment in the roundhouse and shops of the Missouri Pacific
Railroad Company, where he gave such a good account of himself that he
presently was promoted to the position of locomotive engineer, a position
he held for twenty years, running for the Union Pacific Railroad Company.
In 1906 Mr. Larson retired from the railway service and returned to Mar-
shall county. Here he bought a fine farm of a quarter section in Rock
township, established his home there, improved the place until it became
one of the best-kept farms in that part of the county, and there spent the
remainder of his life, his death occurring on June 21, 191 5. Mr. Larson
was a Republican in his political faith and by religious persuasion was a
Lutheran, ever giving his earnest attention both to civic affairs and to
church work, a good citizen in all that term implies, and his widow and
children are members of the Lutheran church.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 847

In 1883, three or four years after coming to this country, Hans P.
Larson was united in marriage to Eva Betty Benson, who also was born
in Sweden, March 20, 1865, daughter of B. and Celia (Nelson) Benson,
natives of that same country, the former born on April 5, 1829, and the
latter, February 11, 1837, who came to this country in 1892 and located
at Kansas City, where their daughter then was living, and where they
remained until 1908. when they came to Marshall county to make their
home with Mr. and Mrs. Larson.

To Hans P. and Eva Betty (Benson) Larson five children were born,
namelv : Louis Barnhart Larson, now foreman in Rand's iron works at
Detroit, Michigan; Mrs. Clara Marie Gunderson, of Colome, South Dakota;
Mrs. Esther Eldere Nord, living near Winifred, this county; Peter Herman
Larson, born on October i, 1899, who is operating the home farm for his
mother, and Edna Adena. born on January 15, 1901. The Larsons have a
very pleasant home and take a proper part in the general social activities of
the community in which they live.



GOTTFRIED KELLER.



Gottfried Keller, a substantial farmer of Center township, proprietor
of a fine farm of a half section of land in that township, is a native of the
republic of Switzerland, but has been a resident of Marshall county for
more than thirty years. He was born on a farm in the canton of Bern,
Switzerland, September 30. i860, son of Nicholas and Anna Keller, natives
of that same country, who came to the United States in 1885 and came
on out to Kansas, settling in Franklin township, this county, where the former
died five years later, in 1890, he then being fifty-six years of age, and
where his widow died in 1900. she then being sixty-eight years of age. They
were the parents of four sons, of whom the subject of this sketch was the
second in order of birth, the others being Charles, of Center township.
this county; John, of Franklin township, and Fred, who is now living in
Oregon.

Reared in his native Switzerland. Gottfried Keller came to this country
in 1885, with his parents. After a year spent on the farm with his parents,
in Franklin township he rented a farm in Guittard township for one year ; and
rented a part of the county farm, and after a year he began farming in
Richland township, where he remained a year, at the end of which time



g_|.8 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

he bciiaii fanning in Logan township and was there thus employed until
189^. when he moved hack to l'"rankhn township and estabUshed his home
in that townshi[) and there made his home for ten years. In T901 he
bought Ins present farm of three hundred and twenty acres in Center
township and in the spring of 1903 moved onto the same and has since
made his home there. After taking possession of that place Mr. Keller



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 83 of 104)