Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 84 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 84 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


erected all the buildings now there, with the exception of some minor
buildings, and has otherwise improved the place in up-to-date fashion,
now having an excellent farm plant. His farm is right at the edge of
the \illage of Winifred and is a very attractive place of residence. Mr.
Keller takes an active interest in the general affairs of the community and
is a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator Company at Winifred. He is a
Democrat and for four years served as township treasurer and was then
re-elected for two years. He is a member of the local lodge of the Modern
Woodmen of America and he and his family are members of the German
Lutheran church.

In 1883 Gottfried Keller was united in marriage to Rosa Kohler, who
also w^as born in Switzerland, daughter of Samuel Kohler and wife, and
to this union tw-elve children have been born, three of whom died in infancy,
the others being: Robert, a farmer in Franklin township; Fred, a farmer,
of Center township; Edward and Ernest, assistants to their father on the
home farm; Mrs. Anna Bruensbach, of Balderson township, and Emma,
Ida, Rosa and Edith. The Kellers have a very pleasant home and take
a proper interest in the general social activities of their home community.



JAMES SHAUGHNESSY.

James Shaughnessy, one of the well-known and prominent farmers and
stock breeders of St. Bridget township, Marshall county, was born in the
township on November i, 1870. and is the son of Michael and Ellen (Ryan)
Shaughnessy.

Michael and Ellen Shaughnessy w^ere natives of Ireland and there received
their education in the public schools and spent their early life in the Emerald
Isle. The former was born in 1824 and died on June 13, 1906, and the latter
was born in 1829 and died in February, 1885. As a young man Michael
Shaughnessy came to America and located in the state of Indiana, where he
was married at Madison in 1849. There he and his wife established their






X



•y.




MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. ' 849

home and lived until i860, when they came to Kansas, where they joined
the colony of early settlers in St. Bridget township, ]\Iarshall county. They
obtained a farm and soon became prominent in the community and had much
to do with the development of the district. They remained on the original
farm until 1882, when they purchased the farm now owned bv the son,
James. Here Mr. Shaughnessy engaged in general farming and stock raising
in which he was most successful. As he prospered he purchased more land
and at the time of his death was the ov.mer of one thousand acres of the best
land. He was a man of strong personal qualities and was possessed of much
business acumen. He was a firm believer in the highest class of farming
and the keeping of the best of stock. He was known throughout the county
as one of the most successful breeders and raisers of high-grade stock in
the district. He and his wife were devout members of the Catholic church,
Mr. Shaughnessy being one of the founders of the parish in St. Bridget town-
ship and one of the builders of the church. He was identified with the
Democratic party, taking much interest in local affairs and had much to do
with the growth and development of the township and county.

To ]\Iichael and Ellen Shaughnessy were born the following children:
Thomas, Edward, Michael, Ellen, Mary, Anna, Delia, James. Edward and
Thomas are now deceased: Michael lives at Kansas City: Ellen is the wife
of Patrick Loot, of Axtell : Mary is the wife of B. Myers and is a resident
of St. Bridget township and Delia is the wife of William Gossin, of St.
Bridget township.

James Shaughnessy received his education in the common schools of St.
Bridget township and at Axtell and was reared on the home farm. As a
boy he put in much of his time herding cattle on the range and while thus
engaged he came to know the habits and characteristics of these animals,
which has been of much value to him as a stockman. He now has six hun-
dred acres of the best land and is engaged in general farming and stock rais-
ing. In 191 1 he began the breeding of thoroughbred Hereford cattle and
his herd today is one of the finest in this section of the state. The present
leader of the herd is "Beam Ultin Xo. 366158," bred by Gudgell and Simp-
son of Independence, Missouri, and was later owned by the University of
Missouri and purchased by Mr. Shaughnessy in 19 16. He now has some
forty coM^s and he sells many of his cattle in all parts of the country for
breeding purposes, as well as for the range. He is a meml)er of the Amer-
ican Hereford Breeders Association and is well posted on the care and atten-
tion that should be given to all breeding animals. He has a splendid barn,

(54)



850 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

thirtv-four bv tliirty-six feet, with a shed twenty by one hundred feet, all of
which is modern in every respect and especially adapted for the feeding and
care of his stock. In addition to the care of his stock he had last year one
hundred and fifty acres of corn and seventy acres of other grain. His beauti-
ful house, one of the best in the township, is situated almost in the center of
his large tract of land, making it convenient for him to reach every part of
ihe place with as little truuble as possible.

On April 28, 1896, James Shaughnessy was united in marriage to Laura
Brolyer, who was born on August 2y, 1872, in Miami county, Indiana, and is
the daughter of Henry and Nancy J. (Hubbard) Brolyer, the former having
been born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, on February 11, 1836, and died on
January 2^, 1902, and the latter was born in Fayette county, Indiana, on
December 25, 1841, and was the daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Glidwell)
Hubbard. Air. and Mrs. Brolyer were married at Wabash, Indiana, on
October ly. 1861. and remained residents of the state of Indiana until 1884,
when thev came to Kansas and located in St. Bridget township, ^Marshall
county, where they became prosperous farmers, and are held in high regard
by all. They are the parents of the following children : Luella C. Bryan
and Charles now deceased; Mrs. John Carney of Murray township; Mrs.
Laura Shaughnessy ; Airs. Rose Kabriel, of near Mina ; Oliver, of Nebraska ;
Edward, of Marvsville, this county, and Emil, of Geary county, Kansas.

To James and Laura Shaughnessy the following children have been born :
Leebert, a graduate of the Axtell high school and now attending the St.
Joe Commercial College; \^incent has completed the public school course,
graduating June, 191 5: Rose, in the eighth grade of the public schools;
Agatha, in the fifth grade and Fern and Charles, also in school. Mr. and
Mrs. Shaughnessy are devout members of the Catholic church and are prom-
inent in the social life of the community, where they are held in the highest
regard and esteem by all who know them.



JOHN V. SAHTH.



John \ . Smith, deceased, was for many years one of the well-known
and successful farmers and stockmen of Richland township, Alarshall county.
He was born in County Galway, Ireland, on Alarch 14, 1838, and was the
son of Thomas Smith and wife. He received his education in the schools of
his native land, where he lived until 1867. At that time he and his brother.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS, 85 1

Michael, decided to come to America, and they set sail for the new land, where
they hoped to make a home. On their arrival in this country, they proceeded
to St. Louis, where they worked as laborers for six years. In 1873 they
came to Marshall county, where they purchased one hundred and sixty
acres, which they later divided. When they came to the county, the brothers
had twenty-five hundred dollars, which they had saved from their work in
St. Louis. They paid nine hundred dollars for the quarter section of land,
which today is worth some eighteen thousand dollars. On that farm John
V. Smith devoted many years of his life to general farming and stock rais-
ing and met with much success. He added to his land holdings and at the
time of his death was the owner of eight hundred acres of excellent land.
He moved to the present home place in 1896. This he developed and improved
with the best of buildings. The house is a most attractive one, painted white,
its location among the stately evergreen trees, presents a most pleasing effect.
The barns and outbuildings are substantial and are in keeping with the most
excellent upkeep of the farm.

On July 10, 1876, John V. Smith was united in marriage to Catherine
Lynch, who was born in Ireland on January 16, 1854, and was the daughter
of Edward and Mary Lynch. The father died when Catherine was eight
years of age, and thus bereft of a father, her early educational advantages
were neglected. She grew to womanhood in her native land, and in 1873
she and her brother, Peter, came to America, and here joined their uncle,
Peter Lynch, in St. Bridget township, Marshall county. Mr. Lynch had
been agent for new settlers in the county since 1857 and was a man of much
influence and force of character. Here Catherine Lynch and her brother
established their home and here she lived until the time of her marriage,
three years later.

To John V. and Catherine Smith were born the following children :
Thomas, Edward, John L., Robert, George, William, Mary, Agnes and
Katie. Thomas, Edward and John L. are all successful farmers in the
township. Three of these children, Thomas, Mary and Agnes, each taught
school for about four years in Marshall county. The family belong to the
Catholic church at Summerfield. The mother and daughters are members of
the altar society. Robert and William are engaged in farm work at home;
George is a senior in the high school at Summerfield ; Agnes Gallagher lives
at Summerfield where she is the postmaster; Mary is at home and Katie is
assistant postmaster at Summerfield and married Vincent Mulharn, of Rich-
land township. John L. Smith is the father of two children, Regina and
Helen, and Mr. and Mrs. Gallagher have two children, Edward and Howard.



8^2 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

THOMAS HARRY.

Thomas Harry, one of Marshall county's best-known and most sub-
stantial pioneer farmers, for many years one of the leading citizens of
Guittard township, a shareholder in the Farmers Elevator Company at Beattie
and one of the county's large landowners, is a native of England, but has
been a resident of Kansas since 1881 and has consequently seen this section
of the state develop from its original prairie state to its present highly-
developed condition. He was born in Herefordshire, England, March 9,
i860, son of John and Elizabeth (Thomas) Harry, who spent all their
lives in their native land and who were the parents of four children, of
whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth.

Reared on a farm, Thomas Harry received his schooling in his native
land and remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age, when,
in 1 88 1, in company with William Price, a stonemason, he came to this
country and proceeded on out to Kansas, settling near Beattie, in this
county, where he began working as a farm hand. In 1884 he bought a
tract of eighty acres in section 7 of Guittard township and began develop-
ing the same. The pioneers along the timber belts advised him against
investing in prairie land, but he had a wider vision than they and he pres-
ently was able to prove to the doubters the wisdom of his judgment. As
he prospered in his operations he bought another "eighty" and by the time
of his marriage in 1890 w^as a well-established and successful farmer. In
1904 Mr. Harry bought his present farm and is now the owner of six
hundred acres of excellent land, the most of which is well improved and
highly cultivated. In addition to his general farming Mr. Harry has long
given considerable attention to the raising of Shorthorn cattle and Poland
China hogs and has done very well, for years having been regarded as one
of the leading farmers and stockmen in that part of the county. Mr. Harry
is a Republican and for thirteen years, or until about four years ago, served
as a member of the school board in district Xo. 124 and in other ways lent
of his time and his energies to the promotion of the best interests of his
home community.

In 1890, at Home, this county, Thomas Harry was united in mar-
riage to Mary A. Lewis, who was born in Yorkshire, England, May 14,
1867, daughter of William Lewis and wife, further mention of whom is
made elsewhere in this volume, and who was but two years of age when
her parents came to this country, and to this union six children were born.



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 853

namely: William J., who is farming one of his father's farms; Charles
C, who also is farming one of the home places; Ethel, who was graduated
from the Beattie high school, later attended the State University at Em-
poria, and since 19 15 has been teaching in the public schools of this county,
and Raymond T., Zoie M. and Arthur L., who are at home. The mother
of these children died on July 20, 1916.

Mr. Harry is a member of the local lodges of the Modern Woodmen
of the World and of the Knights and Ladies of Security and has long taken
an active interest in the affairs of the same. As a promoter of 'local inter-
ests in a general business way he has ever taken a proper part in the com-
munity activities and is one of the shareholders in the Farmers' Elevator
Company at Beattie.



HENRY H. FARRAR.



Henry H. Farrar, one of the best-known and most progressive young
farmers and stockmen of Marshall county, the proprietor of a tine farm in
Guittard township, former clerk of Murray township and the holder of
banking and other extensive interests in this part of the state, is a native
son of Marshall county and has lived here all his life. He was born on a
pioneer farm in Lincoln township, this county, October 25, 1882, son of
Horatio N. and Martha L. (Alinter) Farrar, natives of Ohio, who became
early and influential residents of this county, where the former spent his
last days and where the latter is still living, now making her home at Axtell.

Horatio X. Farrar was born in the city of London, Madison county,
Ohio, and became a well-to-do farmer and stockman. He and his brother,
Thomas Farrar, served as soldiers of the Union army during the Civil War,
serving as member of a Kentucky regiment. He married in Madison
county, Ohio, Martha L. Minter, who was born in that county on April 19,
1850, and in 1870 came with his wife to Kansas and settled in Marshall
county, where he spent the remainder of his life, one of the most active and
influential pioneer residents of this county. Upon coming to Marshall
county Horatio Farrar entered a soldier's claim to a cjuarter section home-
stead in Lincoln township and there established his home. He prospered
in his farming operations and eventually became the owner of a full section
of land, in addition to extensive banking and other interests in the county.
He was one of the organizers of the Citizens' Bank of Axtell and for years
served as president of the same. Politically, Mr. Farrar was a Republican



854 MARSHALL COUXTY. KANSAS.

and from the very beginning of his residence in this county took an active
interest in local civic affairs, long having been regarded as one of the leaders
of his party in that part of the county. For some time he served as treas-
urer of Lincoln township and in other ways gave of his time and energies
to the public service, ever interested in such movements as were designed to
advance the common welfare hereabout. Horatio Farrar died on August
24, 19 1 3, and his widow is now making her home in Axtell. They were
the parents of eleven children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the
eighth in order of birth, and all of whom are living.

Henry H. Farrar was reared on the home farm in Lincoln township
and received his early schooling in the schools of Axtell, from which he was
graduated in 1903. He then taught school for a year and later entered
Baker University, from which he was graduated wath the class of 1908, one
of the members of that class being the young woman who later became his
wife. During his university course Mr. Farrar took a particularly active
part in the athletic events of the institution and in 1907 won a medal for
high jumping, his performance in that line breaking all records for the
state of Kansas. Mr. Farrar was married in the fall of the year following
his graduation from the university and in that same year became engaged
with his father and one of his brothers in the live-stock business. He had
previously bought his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres in sec-
tions 35 and 36 in Guittard township and there established his home and has
ever since lived there, he and his family being very comfortably and very
pleasantly situated. In addition to his own quarter section, Mr. Farrar has
an interest in a half section of land near Axtell; has shares in the Farmers'
Elevator Company at Beattie, and a considerable block of stock in the bank
at Axtell. He is a Republican and for some time served as clerk of Murray
township, but resigned that position in 1910. Mr. Farrar has been an ex-
tensive breeder of live stock, giving his special attention to Shorthorn cattle
and to sheep, having now a flock of seven hundred head of the latter and is
known as one of the most successful sheep raisers in the county. He has
ever taken a warm interest in the general welfare of the county and has
given his intelligent attention to numerous movements designed to advance
the same.

On September 2, 1908, at Baldwin, Kansas, Henry H. Farrar was
united in marriage to Ivy Riley, who was born in Johnson county, this
state, January 26, 1885, daughter of James Francis and Elizabeth Lucretia
(Williams) Riley, natives of Ohio, who became pioneers of Kansas and
who are now living at their pleasant home in Baldwin, this state. James F.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 855

Riley was born at Zanesville, Ohio, June 6, 1838, eldest of a family of nine
children, and his wife was born near CircleVille, in that same state, Decem-
ber 6, 1 84 1, the sixth in order of birth in a family of fifteen children. She
moved with her parents by wagon to St. Louis and by boat up the Missouri
river to Johnson county, Kansas, settling, in 1864, near Monticello, where
she taught school until her marriage to Mr. Riley on September 17, 1865.
Fifty years later, at their home in Baldwin, Mr. and Mrs. Riley celebrated
their golden wedding anniversary, the occasion being made one of much
felicitation on the part of their many friends, the reunion and celebration
being attended by all members of the immediate family, eleven of the
eighteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, besides a numerous
company from this and other states. The event attracted much attention
among the newspapers and a comprehensive account of the celebration,
together with a reproduction of portraits of the celebrants, appeared in the
Topeka Capital, while the Brooklyn (New York) Daily Eagle featured the
affair by giving it a half page, with portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Riley, together
with a very interesting story relating to Mr. Riley's experiences as a "bull-
whacker" along the old Santa Fe trail in pioneer days in Kansas and other
interesting and illuminating reminiscences of that period in the history of
Kansas.

James F. Riley came to Kansas in 1858, when even the eastern counties
of the then territory were inhabited chiefly by Indians, when there was no
Kansas City, Kansas, and when what is now Kansas City, Missouri, was
known as Westport Landing. He helped to lay out the original site of
White Cloud, in Doniphan county, and was present at the barbecue that was
given in Kansas City. when the first shovelful of dirt was thrown in building
the first railroad that entered the place. During the five years from 1859 to
1864 Mr. Riley made numerous trips in hauling freight by ox and mule
trains from Ft. Leavenworth across the plains to Salt Lake City and to Ft.
Union and Albuquerque, using the now famous Santa Fe trail and having
many thrilling experiences with the Indians. In 1864 he was sergeant of
cavalry in the Kansas State militia and aided in guarding Lawrence against
the expected raid of the Confederate General Price in October of that year.
Two or three years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Riley bought two
hundred acres of land from Polly Greenfeather and other Indians on Indian
creek in Johnson county, where they made their home until their retirement
from the farm in 1901 and removal to Baldwin, where they now reside.
To them were born nine children, four sons and five daughters, of whom
Mrs. Farrar is the youngest, and all of whom are living. In keeping with



856 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

the pioneering instinct of their parents, this family of nine children is now
widely scattered and its members engaged in various pursuits. The eldest
son, Charles Allen Riley, and three daughters, Mrs. Ralph Coppock, Mrs.
Joseph J. Baker and Mrs. Thomas J. Coppock, are prosperous farmers and
ranchmen in Alberta, Canada. The eldest daughter is the wife of Col. Andy
J. James, the widely-known auctioneer of Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma,
and owner of "Meadow Brook Stock Farm" in Johnson county. Three
sons are engaged in educational and philanthropic work. The eldest,
Thomas J. Rilev. is general secretary of the Brooklyn bureau of charities,
Brooklyn, Xew York ; Edgar F. Riley is director in the Teachers' Training
School of the Wisconsin State Normal at Plattville, and the youngest son,
Elmer A. Riley, is head of the department of economics and sociology in
Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio.

To Henry H. and Ivy (Riley) Farrar two children have been born,
Virginia, born on February 24, 191 1, and Roberta, February 19, 1914. Mr.
and Mrs. Farrar are members of the Alethodist church at Axtell and take a
proper interest in the various beneficences of the same, as well as in the
general social activities of the community in which they live.



FRAXK THEO WOHLER.

Frank Theo Wohler, one of the progressive and well-known of the
younger farmers: of Cottage Hill township, ?vlarshall county, and the man-
ager of his motlier's splendid farm of four hundred and eighty acres, was
born on July 16. 1890, and is the son of Theo and Sophia (Elstroth) Wohler.

Theo Wohler, the father, was bom in Liperdetmold, Germany, on Octo-
ber 24, 1861. ^Vhen he was but four years of age he came with his parents,
P>ed and Louisa W'ohler. to the United States. Fred Wohler on his arrival
in this country, with his family came at once to Marshall county, and estab-
lished his home on a farm in Cottage Hill township, where he and his wife
spent the remaining da}S of their lives, he dying in 1909 at the age of ninety-
two years and the wife and mother died in 1870 at the age of seventv-six
years. When Fred Wohler came to America with his little family, it took
the courage and the determination of a strong man, and one who had faith in
his ability to make good, in a strange land and amid a strange people. On his
arrival in the county he was without financial support of any kind, yet he had
the determination to win. After homesteading a tract of land, he at once




J. v;o::Lrr: a::d 7a:iily.






fc



-^iLX



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 857

built a small log cabin in which the family lived for some time. He had but
one horse and with that he broke a part of his land and planted his first crop.
In a short time he began to prosper and became the owner of one of the
splendid farms in the township, all of which he placed under high cultivation
and improved with substantial buildings. He and Mrs. Wohler were the
parents of four children as follow : Henry, August, Gatha and Theo.
Henry and August are successful farmers in Riley county, Kansas ; Gatha is
the wife of William Klocke. one of the successful farmers of Missouri, and
Theo is now deceased.

Theo Wohler was reared ofi the home farm in Cottage Hill township
and was educated in the public schools of Marshall county. He remained on
the home farm and assisted his father with the work, and at the age of
twenty-one years he assumed the management of the farm. In 1882 he pur-
chased the place, which then contained one hundred and sixty acres and to
which he added until at the time of his death on January 10, 1913, he was
the owner of four hundred and eighty acres, all of which he had under a high
state of development and well improved. A few years after he had pur-
chased the original farm, he built a fine horse barn, after which he erected a
large cattle barn, twenty-eight by one hundred and fifty feet. In 1906 he



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 84 of 104)