Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 90 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 90 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


school in the district schools of his home county and for twelve years w^as
thus engaged, meantime completing the academic course at the Valparaiso
(Indiana) Normal College. In 1888 he married and afterw^ard began the
study of medical works. In 1896 he entered the Central Medical College
at St. Joseph, Missouri, and was graduated from that institution in 1898.

In the next year, 1899, Doctor Clifton opened an office for the prac-
tice of his profession at Vermillion and has ever since been located there,
having an excellent practice in and about that flourishing village. Doctor
Clifton is a diligent student and keeps full}- abreast of the advance made
in his profession. He is a member of the Marshall County Medical Society
and of the Kansas State Aledical Association and in the deliberations of
these learned bodies takes a warm interest. The Doctor is a Republican of
the unadulterated variety and ever since becoming a resident of Marshall
county has given his earnest attention to local political affairs.

In 1888, while living in Indiana, Doctor Clifton was united in mar-
riage to Rose Bailey, who w-as born in that state, a daughter of Dr. Allan
Bailey and wife, of Akron, Indiana, and to this union four children have
been born, Archie, deceased; Beatrice, who married Roy Talbert and is



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 905

now living at Topeka; John and Jessie, at home. Doctor and Mrs. CUfton
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take a proper part in
church work and in other local good works. The Doctor is an active lodge
man and is affiliated with the local lodges of the Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of the Knights of
Pythias and of the Knights and Ladies of Security, in the affairs of which
several organizations he takes a warm interest.



THOMAS T. FARRAR.



Thomas J. Farrar, a well-to-do retired farmer and landowner, of Rock
township, former trustee of that township, former member of the board
of county commissioners of Marshall county and an honored veteran of
the Civil War, is a native of the old Buckeye state, but has been a resident of
this county since iS8o. He was born on a farm in the immediate vicinity of
London, in Madison county, Ohio, March lo, 1843, son of Henry and
Melinda (Chenoweth) Farrar, the former a native of England and the latter
of Ohio and the former of whom became a Kansas pioneer, spending his
last davs on his farm in the vicinity of Beattie, this county, a well-to-do and
influential pioneer citizen.

Henry Farrar was born in Yorkshire. England, on March 19, 1815,
and was but five years of age when his parents came to this country, settling
in the vicinity of Cincinnati, later moving on up into Madison county, Ohio,
where Henry Farrar grew to manhood and where he married Alelinda
Chenoweth in 1837. Afterward he employed himself in farming pursuits
in that countv and became the owner of about six hundred acres of land
in the vicinitv of London, the county seat. He also took an active part in
local civic affairs, served his township as assessor and in other public capa-
cities and was also treasurer of his school district. In 1873 ^'^^- Farrar dis-
posed of his interests in Ohio and came to Kansas, realizing the possibilities
that awaited the pioneer in this section of the state, and bought a tract of
land in Guittard township, this county, the next year, 1S74, establishing his
home there. He was an excellent farmer and prospered in his operations,
presently becoming the owner of fifteen hundred and twenty acres in Guit-
tard and Rock townships, which he afterward divided among his children.
He maintained his home on his original farm, about one mile southeast
of Beattie, where he spent his last days, his death occurring there in 1895,
in the residence he built there in 1880.



906 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Henry Farrar was twice married. His first wife. Melinda Chenowetli,
died at her home in IMadison county. Ohio, in 1857, at the age of forty
years. To that union ten children were horn, seven of wdiom grew to
maturity, those besides the subject of this sketch being as follow: Mrs.
Owen Thomas, deceased; Horatio N.. an honored veteran of the Civil War
and a pioneer of this county, now deceased, a memorial sketch of whom
is presented elsewhere in this volume; Jonathan, a substantial farmer of
Vermillion towmship, this county; Mrs. Margaret Crooks, living near Frank-
fort; Mrs. Isabelle Durkee. deceased, and William H., of Stevens county,
this state. On September 30, 1858, in Aladison county, Ohio, Henry Farrar
married, secondly, Mrs. Rachel (Gregg) Seal, who was born in that county,
and to that union two sons w^re born, Romeo, a mechanic, of Blue Rapids,
and Spurgeon, of Chicago. The mother of these children died in Chicago
and was buried in this county. By her previous marriage to John W. Seal,
who died about 1855, she was the mother of one child, a daughter, Eva,
who married John Warner, of this county.

Reared on the home farm in the vicinity of London, Ohio, Thomas J.
Farrar was living there when the Civil W^ar broke out. He enlisted his
services in behalf of the Union and went to the front as a member of Com-
pany C, First Regiment, Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, and saw service
with that command in Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama, later
being detailed to guard prisoners of war at Chicago. Upon the completion
of his military service Mr. Farrar returned to his home county in Ohio in
1864 and in 1865 w'as married there. He established his home on a farm
in Oak Run township, that county, and there resided until 1880, w^hen he
came to Kansas, his father having located in this county several years pre-
viously, and in 1881 he bought his present farm in Rock township, this
county. On that place when he bought it there was a small, two-room house
and an orchard had been planted on the place. He at once set about improv-
ing the place and it was not long until he had one of the best-improved
farms in that part of the county. At his home place in Rock township Mr.
Farrar owns -one hundred and sixty acres and he also has a farm of one
hundred acres in A^ermillion township. Since 1908 he has been living prac-
tically retired from the labors of the farm, though continuing to keep an
eye on the management of the same. Mr. Farrar is an ardent Republican
and has ever given his close attention to local political affairs. In 1895 he
was elected a member of the board of county commissioners from his dis-
trict and served very acceptably during his incumbency in that important
office. He also has rendered service as trustee of his home township.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 907

As noted above, it was in 1865, in Madison county, Ohio, that Thomas
J. Farrar was united in marriage to Anne Holway, who was born in Devon-
shire, England, and who left there in 1861 and came to this country with
a sister, settling in Ohio. She completed her schooling at Oberlin, engaged
in teaching school in Madison county and was thus engaged at the time of
her marriage to Mr. Farrar. Some years later, in 1868, her parents, Robert
and Elizabeth fHartnell) Holway, came to this country and settled in Madi-
son county, Ohio, where their last days were spent. To Mr. and Mrs.
Farrar ten children have been born, two of whom died in infaiicy, the others
being as follow : Imogene, who married James Temple and is now deceased ;
Robert H., who married Lulu Storm and is farming in Rock township;
Mary E., who is at home with her parents; Frank C, deceased; Thomas H.,
who married Clara L. Clark and is farming in Wells township; Nellie J., a
trained nurse and a graduate of the Wesley Hospital, Kansas City ; Anne
W., who is teaching school at Sterling, Kansas, and lasarah, a graduate of
the Frankfort high school, now teaching at Delphos. The Farrars are mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal church and take a proper interest in the
various beneficences of the same, as well as in the general social activities
of the community in which they live, helpful in promoting all agencies hav-
ing to do with the advancement of the common welfare. Mr. Farrar is an
active member of the Frankfort post of the Grand Army of the Republic
and is now serving as chaplain of that patriotic organization.



ELI GIERHART CARNEY.

Eli Gierhart Carney was born in Etna, Licking county, Ohio, January
16, 1839, and is a son of James and Lovesia (Gierhart) Carney. James
Carney was born and reared in the state of Ohio. He was the son of John
Carney, who was born in the north of Ireland and was of Scotch-Irish
descent.

On coming to the United States John Carney was married to Bridget
Chaney, who was a daughter of Sebidea Chaney, who was a very early set-
tler of Ohio. The Chaneys were of Welsh descent. When John Carney's
family were grown up and married they moved to Lagrange county. Indiana,
and settled there in the years 1838 and 1840. all coming to that place with
the exception of his son, James.

Daniel and Anna (Hanna) Gierhart were the parents of Mrs. Lovesia



9o8 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Gierhart Carney. These parents were reared near Hagerstown, Maryland,
and were the descendants of old Colonial stock and of German descent.
Thev moved to Greenfield township. Fairfield county, Ohio, while it was still
in a state of nature. He was a justice of the peace for many years and
was noted for his good judgment in getting parties to settle their difficulties
before the cases came to court. He was a blacksmith by trade and was a
great help to the early settlers when that part of the country was being
opened up. He was a member of the Lutheran church.

James and Lovesia Gierhart Carney had the following children born
to them : Daniel J. H. Carney, now deceased ; Eli Gierhart Carney ; Sarah
Bitsbarger and Elizabeth Delinger. Sarah Bitsbarger lives at Ft. Wayne,
Indiana; Elizabeth Delinger died in the state of Michigan about 1900.
James Carney, the father of E. G. Carney, died on January 18, 1844. Love-
sia G. Carney, mother of E. G. Carney, was a good weaver. She could weave
almost any kind of cloth worn by farmers of that day, and could cut out
and make it up. She could do all kinds of work that usually fell to the
lot of the women of her time. She was a member of the Presbyterian church
and lived up to its teachings. She died at Ft. Wayne, Indiana, January i,
1881.

E. G. Carnev learned the blacksmith trade when he was fifteen vears
old. After he had served over four years apprenticeship he started a shop
in Jefferson, Fairfield county, Ohio. On June 24, i860, he was married to
Catherine Alspach, who was the daughter of John D. and Elizabeth (Heim-
baugh) Alspach. They were both born and raised in Fairfield county, Ohio.
Their parents were among the early settlers and were of German descent.

After following the blacksmithing for eleven years, E. G. Carney came
to the state of Kansas, arriving in Frankfort. Marshall county, on Novem-
ber 9, 1 87 1. Shortly after coming here he bought a claim of John Rayen
in section 6. township 3, range 10. He did some smithing and also engaged
in raising the bigbone Poland China hogs. When he proved up on his claim
he traded it for two hundred acres of raw land in Murray township, section
3. To this tract he has added and he now has four hundred and forty acres
in his home farm. He also owns a fine farm in Franklin county, containing
two hundred and ninety-six and three-quarter acres. His home farm is well
improved and is in excellent condition for cultivation.

Eli G. Carney is a supporter of the Democratic party. In 1867 he
became a member of the Nepthalia Lodge No. 262, Free and Accepted
Masons, in Carroll, Fairfield county, Ohio. Mr. Carney does not belong
to any church, but is a believer in all churches that are well based on Holv



MARSHALL "COUNTY, KANSAS. 909

Writ ; and he also holds that it makes little difference to what church a man
may belong, if its teachings are lived up to. Mrs. Carney has been a mem-
ber of the church since her girlhood. She has been a kind wife and a kind
mother and an industrious woman.

To Eli G. and Catherine Carney the following' children were born :
John H., Alta, Eli E., Charles, deceased; Oliver O.. Alice and Catherine M.
All these children are living on farms near the parental home. Catherine
Alspach Carney was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, June 24, .1843.



WILLIAM L. McKEE.



William L. McKee, one of Center township's best-known and most
substantial farmers and the proprietor of a quarter of a section of fine land
in that township, a part of the section upon which his father settled upon
coming to Kansas in the early days of the settlement of Marshall county,
is a native of the Dominion of Canada, but has been a resident of Marshall
county since the days of his boyhood and has therefore been a witness to
and a participant in the development of this county since pioneer times. He
was born on a farm in Smith township, five miles from Peterborough, in the
county of that name, province of Ontario, Canada, June 4, 1856, eldest of
the seven children of John and Mary Ann (Findlay) McKee, both natives
of Ireland, of Scottish descent, who became pioneers of Marshall county
and here spent their last days.

John McKee was born in County Donegal, Ireland, October 23, 1828,
and was but an infant when his parents emigrated to Canada in 1830 and
settled in Peterborough county, Ontario. There he grew to manhood and
in Smith township, that county, began farming on his own account after
his marriage in 1852, remaining there until the fall of 1869, when he came
to Kansas on a prospecting trip and in September of that year bought a
section of railroad land in Center township, this county, section 17, for
which he paid five dollars and twenty-five cents an acre. He then returned
to his home in Canada, disposed of his affairs there and brought his family
to Kansas, arriving at Frankfort on January 15, 1871. The first month
was spent with his brother, William McKee, three and one-half miles south
of his homestead, and there the family remained while a house was being
erected on the place in section 17. The house was built in the center of
the section and into that new home the family moved in August, 1871.



910 MARSHALL COUNfy, KANSAS.

Tohn IMcKee was an excellent farmer and it was not long until he began
to get his section under cultivation, quickly becoming regarded as one of
the leading farmers and stockmen in that part of the county. Among the
early improvements he made on his place was the planting of an orchard
covering twenty acres of his tract and a vineyard covering a half acre or
more, that orchard developing into one of the finest orchards in Kansas.
He also planted long stretches of hedge and the improvements surrounding
his home made of the place one of the most attractive farm plants in the
county. Mr. and Mrs. McKee were members of the Baptist church and
upon the organization of a congregation of that denomination in that neigh-
borhood, the Center Baptist church, Mr. McKee donated two and one-half
acres of the southeast corner of his section on which to erect the chvirch,
of which for years he was a deacon. Mrs. McKee died on April 20, 1890,
and in October, 1896, Mr. McKee retired from the farm and moved to
]\Iarysville, where, alternating his residence there with visits to his chil-
dren, he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring on August 29, 1913.
He was an ardent Republican and ever gave his earnest attention to local
civic affairs, but was never a seeker after public office.

On June 11, 1852, John McKee was united in marriage, in Canada, to
Mary Ann Findlay, who was born in Dublin, Ireland, March 4, 1835, and
who was thirteen years of age when she emigrated with her parents. William
Findlay and wife, to Canada, the family settling in the Peterborough neigh-
borhood in Ontario, where she lived until her marriage to Mr. McKee. To
that union seven children were born, of whom the subject of this sketch, as
noted. abo\'e, was the first-born, the others being as follows : Mrs. T. M.
Bishop, of Frankfort, this county; Nina, who married S. M.- Ferrell and is
now living at Vance, Mississippi ; Florence, wife of Theodore Polack, of
Marysville: Susan, deceased, who was the wife of Allen Reed, also now
deceased, and Robert and John, twins, who died before the family left
Canada.

William L. McKee was fifteen years of age when he came to Marshall
county with his parents in 1871 and he ever since has made his home on
the home place in section 17 of Center township, a period of more than
forty-five years. From the time the family came to Marshall county he
was a valuable assistant to his father in the labors of developing and improv-
ing the home place and is now tha owner of the northwest quarter of the
section his father bought upon coming here. In addition to that he farms
another quarter section and is doing very well in his operations, conducting



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. QII

his place along modern lines of agriculture, being accounted one of the up-
to-date farmers in that part of the county.

On October 20, 1896, William L. McKee was united in marriage to
l.ouise Fitzgerald, who also was born in Smith township, Peterborough
county, Ontario, January 14. 1867, daughter of Thomas Edward and Agnes
(Hall) Fitzgerald, who were born and reared in Canada, the former of
Irish and the latter of Scottish descent, who spent all their lives in their
native land. To this union one child has been born, a son, .Maxwell Fitz-
gerald McK«e, born on April 23, 1898, who is assisting his father in the
management of the home farm. Mr. McKee is a member of the Center
Baptist church and Mrs. McKee, of the Methodist cliurch of Marysville.
Thev take a proper interest in church affairs as well as in other neighbor-
hood good works and have ever been helpful in promoting worthy causes
thereabout. Mr. McKee is a Republican and takes a warm interest in polit-
ical affairs, but has never been included in the office-seeking class.



JOSEPH CHADDOCK.



Joseph Chaddock, one of the pioneers of Marshall county and the pro-
prietor of a fine farm and one of the prettiest homes in Noble township,
is a native of the state of Illinois, but has been a resident of this county
since he was twenty-one years of age. • He was born on a farm in Fulton
county, Illinois, January 12, 1856, son of James and Sarah (Test) Chad-
dock, the former of whom was born in Virginia in 1801 and the latter, in
Ohio. James Chaddock was but a boy when his parents moved from Vir-
ginia to Ohio and in the latter state, he grew to manhood, later moving
to Illinois, where lie died in 1868. His wife had preceded him to the
grave about four years, her death having occurred in 1864.

Being but a boy when bereaved of his parents, Joseph Chaddock made
his home with his eldest brother until he was seventeen years of age, when
he began working on his own account. In 1877, he then being twenty-one
years of age, he came to Kansas, locating at Frankfort, and presently bought
a farm in Lincoln township, this county. Two years after coming here he
married and on that pioneer farm made his home for four years, or until
1 88 1, when he sold the same to advantage and bought the farm on which
he is now living in Noble township and there has ever since made his home,
a period of more than thirty-five years, his being one of the oldest settled and



912 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

best-improved farms in that part of the county. Tn addition to his general
farming. Mr. Chaddock has given considerable attention to the raising of
live stock and has done very well. Upon taking possession of his present
home farm Air. Chaddock built a small house which served as a residence
until 1898, when he erected his present splendid farm residence. He is the
owner of two hundred and twenty acres of excellent land and his well-kept
farm plant is recognized as one of the prettiest places in the Vermillion
neighborhood.

On November 19. 1879, Joseph Chaddock was united in marriage to
Rilla Freeman, who was born in Illinois, June 24, 1857, daughter of Eben
and Anna Freeman, natives of Providence, Rhode Island, and of Ohio,
respectively, whose last days were spent in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Chaddock
were reared in the same community in Illinois and were playmates in child-
hood. Mr. and Mrs. Chaddock are members of the Presbyterian church
and take a proper part in neighborhood good works, ever helpful in advanc-
ing worthy causes thereabout. Mr. Chaddock is an independent Republican
and has ever given a good citizen's attention to local political affairs, but has
not l^een a seeker after public office.



MR. AND MRS. SAMUEL FORTER.

Samuel Forter was born in Marbach, Canton St. Gallen, Switzerland,
December 6, 1858. His parents were Samuel Forter and Anna Elizabeth
Walt, both well educated. The Porters came of a long line of well-to-do
farmers and military and civil officers of high rank. The Walts were arti-
sans and teachers. Anna Elizabeth taught embroidery and fine needlework
in the cantonal school of domestic science in the citv of Altstaetten.

On May 20th, 1868, Samuel Forter and his wife, Elizabeth, with seven
children, arrived in Highland, Illinois, near which town Mr. Forter carried
on farming until 1873, when they moved in prairie schooners to Marysville,
Kansas, reaching there on October 12, 1873. The family consisted of the
following children : Emil, Alfred, Samuel, Hulda, Lina, Jacob and Maggie.
In 1874 the youngest son, Adolph, was born. In the winter of 1875, after a
discouraging effort at farming for the benefit of the grasshoppers in 1874,
the father, mother and younger members of the family moved to a new farm
in northern St. Clair county, Missouri, Emil, Alfred and Samuel remaining
in Marysville. Samuel Forter, Sr., died near Bryant, Arkansas, October 29,



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 913

1902. Elizabeth Walt Forter died in Denver, Colorado, January 24, 191 1.
The children of the family are all hving. Emil, Hulda (now Mrs. Harburg)
and Adolph reside in Denver. Alfred, Samuel and Lina (now Mrs. Wied-
rich) reside in Marysville, Kansas, and Jacob and Maggie (now Mrs. Munns)
reside in Gushing, Oklahoma.

Samuel Forter has been a resident of Marysville since October, 1873.
He worked on a farm until 1877, then learned the blacksmith trade and by
1879 had a business of his own, which he conducted until 1899.

During those years he contributed much time and energy in other direc-
tions, and for twenty years there were very few entertainments or events
given for the benefit of the public, toward which he did not furnish the
major portion. He organized the fire department, of which he was chief
until 1900; he was president of the State Firemen's Association for two
terms, 1897-9 and declined re-election. He helped organize the National
Firemen's Association in 1898 at Chicago, Illinois; was chairman of the leg-
islative committee for this latter organization during the fifty-sixth and
fifty-seventh Congresses. He founded the Helvetia Society in Marysville
and helped organize the Barks Military Band, of which he was president for
eighteen years and of the Barks Orchestra, for the same period. He was
physical instructor in the school of the Marysville Turner Society for four-
teen years, and was director of singing of the Swiss and the Turner societies
and some churches for many years. He was a member of the Odd Fellows,
United Workmen, Select Knights, Maccabees and a charter member of the
Knights of Pythias, passed through all of the principal chairs of all the
lodges and societies of which he was a member and was many times elected
grand and supreme representative. He now holds membership in the Knights
of Pythias only, and is an honorary member of the Swiss and Turner
societies.

In the fall of 1899 Congressman Calderhead took Mr. Forter out of
his blacksmith shop and made him his private secretary, which place he filled
satisfactorily for four years. During those four years he served as assistant
clerk to the committee on post offices and post roads ; also to the committee
on banking and currency. In February, 1904, Eugene F. Ware, United
States commissioner of pensions, appointed him a "special pension examiner
in the field," and for the greater part of seven years he was engaged in pension
work in the states of Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, Colorado, Missouri and
Kansas, serving under Commissioners Ware, Warner and Davenport, from
whom he received many complimentary letters which he prizes very highlv.
(58)



914 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

In February, 191 1, he resigned as pension examiner to accept the postmas-



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 90 of 104)