Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 91 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 91 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tership at Alarysville. He served as postmaster from April i, 191 1, to
jMarch 15, 191 5, when he was let out to make room for a Democrat.

Emma Elizabeth Calderhead is the daughter of Rev. E. B. Calderhead
and Martha Boyd Wallace. Rev. E. B. Calderhead was the youngest son
of Rev. John Calderhead and Margaret Brown, who was a granddaughter
of John Brown, of Haddington, Scotland, a noted divine of his day.

Rev. John Calderhead came to America and settled in Belmont county,
Ohio, where E. B. Calderhead was born near Uniontown, January 4, 18 10,
and who was graduated from Franklin College, New Athens, Ohio, in 1836,
and from tlie Alleghany Associate Reformed Theological Seminary in 1840
and was licensed to preach by the Steubenville Presbytery the same year,
being assigned to three charges, namely, Jonathan's Creek, Rush Creek and
Thornville, Ohio. In 1861 Mr. Calderhead was appointed on the board of
church erection and continued a member of that board during the remainder
of his life. In 1861 he removed to New Athens, Ohio, for the purpose of
educating his children in his own alma mater and lived in that excellent
college town until he came to Kansas. He died at the home of his son, W. A.
Calderhead, in Marysville, Kansas, September 25, 1892.

Martha Boyd Wallace was a daughter of William Wallace and Elizabeth
Gilfillan. William Wallace was a son of John Wallace and Elizabeth McKee,
who came to the United States in 1 793 and settled in Alleghany county, Penn-
sylvania, midway between Pittsburgh and Washington, Pennsylvania. There
John Wallace served as an elder in the Robinson's Run congregation for fifty
years and there was born William Wallace, May 18, 1798. There William
lived all his life and on September 5, 1822, he was united in marriage to
Elizabeth Gilfillan, a daughter of Alexander Gilfillan, of Upper St. Claire,

The Gilfillan family has been prominently identified with the history of
Upper St. Claire for more than two hundred years ; some member of the
family serving as magistrate during all that period. William Wallace and
Elizabeth Gilfillan were the parents of four children: Alexander Gilfillan
Wallace, who was for many years an editor of the United Presbyterian, the
official paper of that church. Rev. A. G. Wallace was a greatly gifted man
and at his death the magnificent Wallace ]\Iemorial church was erected in
Washington, D. C.

Wilhani J. Wallace succeeded his father and grandfather as elder of
the congregation at Robinson's Run. He is still living. Martha Boyd Wal-
lace and Sarah Jane Wallace were the daughters. Sarah J. Wallace married


George Kelso, a farmer of the same county, and she survives him and is
living at Washington, Pennsylvania. Martha Boyd Wallace was united in
marriage to Rev. E. B. Calderhead, November 28, 1843, and she died on
February 16, 1872. They were the parents of eleven children: William
Alexander, John Wallace, James Harvey, Sarah Jane, Joseph Walker, Sam-
uel Coman, Emma Elizabeth, Silas Brown, Owen Oliver, Almanara Boyd and
Renwick Wallace. William A. is a lawyer, and was a member of Congress
from the Fifth congressional district of Kansas for seven terms. - John Wal-
lace was a Union soldier and gave his life for his country. James Harvey
is secretary of the board of railroad commissioners of North Dakota. Sarah
J. is the wife of J. F. Hanna, of Marysville. Joseph Walker died at the
age of eighteen years. Samuel Coman is superintendent of a building and
loan association in Seattle, Wash. Emma Elizabeth is the wife of Samuel
Forter, of Marysville, Kansas. Silas Brown is general passenger agent of
the Northern Pacific railroad, with offices at Walla Walla, Washington.
Owen Oliver is secretary of the state board of railroad commissioners of
Washington and resides in Olympia. Almanara Boyd is the wife of Joseph
L. Rogers, of Vermillion, Kansas, and Renwick Wallace resides in Fair-
banks, Alaska, where he conducts a large music store.

Emma E. Calderhead, the second daughter of Rev. E. B. Calderhead
and Martha Boyd Wallace, was born at Rushville, Fairfield county, Ohio, on
October 4th, 1857. When she was four years of age her parents removed
to New Athens, Ohio, and resided there until coming West in 1869. She
attended the private academy of Mrs. H. E. Monroe, of Atchison, Kansas,
and at the age of fifteen began teaching. Later, she came to Marshall
county to make her home and taught in the public schools of the county.
She taught in the country districts of what was known as the McLeod
school, north of Marysville, and in the McDonald school, each for one term,
and in the Thomas school in Elm Creek township for two years.

On July I, 1884, Samuel Forter and Emma E. Calderhead were married
at the home of J. H. Calderhead in Beloit, Kansas, Rev. J. A. Pinkerton,
of the First Presbyterian church, performing the ceremony. From that time
Mr. and Mrs. Forter have resided in Marysville, Kansas. In 1890 Mrs.
Forter accepted a position in the city schools of Marysville, beginning her
work in the Ward school, primary department, from which, after two years'
teaching, she was promoted to the Central school, fifth grade, and the follow-
ing year was placed in charge of the seventh grade and first year high school
work. She continued teaching for six years, resigning to take up secretarial
work in the office of W. A. Calderhead.


In 1913, owing to a mid-term vacancy in the seventh grade, Mrs. Forter
was requested by the board of education to take charge of the work for the
remainder of the year, which she did. Having by that date attained the
dignity of grandmother, Mrs. Forter feU comphmented at being thought
equal to the task. In 191 5 Mrs. Forter taught one week in the Enghsh
department of the high school, which closed her life work in the school room.

In 1902 Mrs. Forter was chosen department president of the Woman's
Relief Corps, Department of Kansas, and at the close of her year's work she
was presented with a handsome diamond badge as a testimonial of esteem by
the members of that organization. She also served as president of the
Woman's Federated Clubs of the Fifth congressional district. In 1916 Gov.
Arthur Capper appointed Mrs. Forter a member of the advisory board of
the state Republican committee and she gave time and effort to the campaign,
speaking in various places in the state. In April, 191 7, Governor Capper
again honored her by appointing her on the council of defense board of
Kansas, and she is at the present time engaged in organizing the women of
the state and preparing for any emergency which may arise during the war
with Germany.

Mr. and Mrs. Forter are the parents of two sons, Samuel Alexander
Forter, born on October 15. 1886, and Cecil Alfred Forter, born on Novem-
ber 18, 1888. These boys were educated in the public schools of Marysville,
Samuel graduating on May 28, 1903, and Cecil graduating on May 20, 1904.
They entered the University of Kansas before reaching sixteen years of age
and each completed a course in civil engineering in the required time, receiving
degrees in that branch.

Samuel Alexander Forter, a member of the Beta fraternity, graduated
from the University of Kansas in 1908. He entered the employ of the
James A. Green Constructing Engineers Company; he was engaged in en-
gineering work in the far West, first in New Mexico and Arizona, and then
had charge of irrigation work in Idaho, putting in the irrigation plant in the
Gooding tract of thirty thousand acres. He then went to Brogan, Oregon,
where he built the great earth dam, the second largest earth dam in the world.
Returning to Kansas, he constructed the state fish hatchery at Pratt, Kansas.
He then went to American Falls, Idaho, where he constructed the famous
Snake river dam, across the Snake river at American Falls. The next year
he put in an irrigating plant on a rice plantation near DeWitt, Arkansas, on
the White river. In the fall of 191 4 Samuel A. Forter began business for
himself and is now a constructing and consulting engineer with offices at
American Falls, Idaho, where he is engaged in active engineering work.


Samuel A. Forter and Lucille Tavey were united in marriage in the
church of the Good Shepherd, in Ogden, Utah, on February 24, 1914, by
Rev. Wm. W. Fleetwood. Lucille Tavey Forter is the daughter of Henry
Cartwright Tavey, son of Peter Tavey and Frances Cartwright, who was
born in London, England, and of Martha Allen, daughter of John and
Martha Allen, who was born in Sheffield, England. Henry W. Tavey and
Martha Allen were married in Ogden, Utah; they now reside in Blackfoot,

Lucille Tavey Forter was educated in the schools of Ogden, Utah,
finishing her education in a private school in Alabama. She went with her
husband to Arkansas immediately after her marriage and spent six month j
in an engineers' camp and helping with household duties. She displayed
great fortitude and courage and a true wife's interest in her husband's work.
On Monday, March 19, 191 7, Mrs. Samuel A. Forter was summoned as a
juror in the civil case of Commons vs. Hall, on an action to collect a note
and she served on the first jury composed entirely of women empanelled in
Power county, Idaho. Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Forter reside in A"merican Falls,

Cecil Alfred Forter was graduated from the department of civil engi-
neering. University of Kansas, in 1909, and immediately accepted a position
in the office of the city engineer of Topeka, Kansas, where he remained until
January, 19 16, when he accepted the superintendency of the city crematory,
which he reorganized and put on a business basis. In December, 191 6, he
resigned this position to become sales engineer for the John Baker, Jr.,
Asphalt Company, which position he now holds. Both he and his brother,
Samuel, are members of the American Society of Civil Engineers and Cecil
was secretary of the Kansas Society of Civil Engineers for three terms,
relinquishing the office in 191 7.

Cecil A. Forter and Elizabeth Tusten were united in marriage in Trin-
ity Episcopal church, Lawrence, Kansas, December 8, 1909, Rev. Irving E.
Baxter officiating. Elizabeth Tusten is the daughter of Harmon William
Tusten, born in Goshen, New York, of Revolutionary ancestry, a paternal
uncle having served on the staff of George Washington. The little city of
Tusten, New York, is named in his honor and his statue adorns the public
square of the city. William Harmon Tusten came to Wisconsin in his early
manhood and later moved to Kansas. He was one of the promoters of the
colonization of Russell county and was an active and influential citizen of the

Mathilde de Neveu, the mother of Mrs. Cecil A. Forter, is a daughter of


Gustave de Neveu, a son of the historic French family of that name. Giistave
was born at Savigny, France, March 30. 18] i. He was etkicated at the
famous mihtary academy of La Fleche <'ind at the College of Vendome. He
located finally in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, purchasing six hundred
and forty acres of land, which included the beautiful lake, afterward named
de Neveu lake and now a noted summer resort.

In 1840 Gustave de Neveu was married to Harriett PuttofT Dousman, a
daughter of a noted French-Canadian family. Mrs. de Neveu was born on
the island of Mackinac, December 16, 18 18. Mathilde de Neveu is a daugh-
ter of that union and was united in marriage to William Harmon Tusten in
Wisconsin. Elizabeth Tusten, a daughter, was born in Herington, Kansas.
She attended high school in Warren, Pennsylvania, and later was a student
of the University of Kansas at Lawrence, where her parents resided at the
time of her marriage to Cecil A. Forter. Mrs. Cecil A. Forter was especially
prominent in the musical life of the university and took a leading part in
the rendition of classical music, both operatic and sacred. She is a member
of the Theta Sorority, and since her marriage has become identified wath
musical circles in the city of Topeka. She is a beautiful woman, endowed
with great personal charm. Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Forter have one son, Cecil
Alfred Forter, Jr., born on August 24, 191 1.

H any of the descendants of David McKee, of Anahilt, among whom
may be named the Wallaces, Calderheads and the descendants of Mr. and
Mrs. Samuel Forter, should ever visit County Down, Ireland, they may see
the homes of their ancestors, which are still standing. On the Lisburn road,
going from Lough Neagh to Saintfield, attention will be attracted to the ivy
covered gables of the old homestead. Here lies the land once granted by the
crown for loyalty and on which stand Moor Hall and The Temple, the ances-
tral homes of their forefathers and still inhabited by one of the name.

The Wallace branch of the family are descendants of the Scotch clan
of that name and are of the family of the Duke of Argyll.

The name, Calderhead, is the same as the Scotch name Calder or Cawdor
and has been preserved by Shakespeare in the play "Macbeth," Cawdor
Castle being the scene of the murder of King Duncan by Macbeth, whc
had been promised the much-coveted position of Thane of Cawdor, for com-
mitting the crime. A thane was a body-guard and counsellor to the king and
was a position of title, honor and trust. The old family castle still stands,
though in ruins, in the parish of Nairn and Inverness, Scotland.

The Wallace family, descendants of the Scotch family, has always been
prominently identified with churches. John Wallace, William Wallace, his


son, and William Jamison Wallace, his grandson, served an aggregate of one
hundred and five consecutive years as elders of the United Presbyterian
church of Robinson's Run, Pennsylvania.

David Wallace was the founder and president of Monmouth College,
Illinois, and his son, John Findlay Wallace, was the first engineer on the
Panama Canal. David Wallace was a nephew of William Wallace and a
cousin of Martha Bovd Wallace, the mother of Mrs. Forter.


William H. Dexter, one of the well-known and substantial farmers of
Center township, this county, is a native of the Dominion of Canada, but has
been a resident of Marshall county since he was nine years of age, having
come here with his parents in 1870, and may thus properly be regarded as
one of the pioneers of the county, having been a witness to its development
since the days of the open range. He was born on April 6, 1861, son of
Asahel and Jane (Whitfield) Dexter, natives, respectively, of Canada and
of England, who became pioneers of Marshall county and whose last days
were spent here.

Asahel Dexter was born in Canada on March 14, 1809, and there grew
to manhood. He married Jane Whitfield, who was born in England on
September 24, 181 7, and who had emigrated to Canada with her parents in
the days of her girlhood. After his marriage Mr. Dexter continued to
make his home in Canada until 1870, when he came to Kansas with his family
and settled in this county. Here he bought a half section of land in Center
township and established his home, spending the rest of his life there.
When he bought the place he erected there a small shack, which did duty
as a home until the next year, when he built a substantial dwelling house,
but not until he had made two attempts on the same, for the framework
of the new house had hardly been completed when a tornado came along
and demolished it. The second structure has stood all the storms since
and is still standing, the subject of this sketch still residing there, his con-
tinuous home since he was ten years of age. Asahel Dexter was a good
farmer and soon had his pioneer farm improved in good shape. In com-
mon with all the early settlers he suffered the privations due to grasshoppers
and scorching winds in those early days, but he persevered despite all dis-
couragements and was presently well established. As he prospered he added


to his land holdings and as his sons started out for themselves he helped
them to acquire farms of their own. He and his wife were earnest mem-
bers of the Baptist church and helped to found the church of that denomi-
nation at Marshall Center, Mr. Dexter for years being a deacon of the
same. In his later years Mr. Dexter retired from his active labors of the
home place and turned the management of the same over to his youngest
son, the subject of this sketch, who now owns the home place. Mrs. Dexter
died on ]\Iay 24, 1887, and Mr. Dexter survived her a little less than four
years, his death occurring on February 4, 1891, he then lacking less than
three weeks of being eighty-two years of age. He and his wife were the
parents of thirteen children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the
last-born, the others being as follow : Maria, who died before the family left
Canada; George, deceased; Matilda, deceased; Thomas B.. Avho is living a
mile east of the old home place in Center township; John, who died before
the family left Canada; Sarah Jane, deceased; Mrs. Mary Richardson, of
Hill City, this state ; Mrs. Margaret Parker, deceased ; Asahel, deceased ;
Teesdale. of Trenton, Nebraska; Martha, of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, and
Edmund, who lives three miles west of the old home, in Elm Creek township.

William H. Dexter, as noted above, was but nine years of age when
his parents came to Marshall county and he was reared on the pioneer farm
that his lather opened for cultivation, even from the days of his boyhood
an able assistant in the labors of developing and improving the same. He
completed his schooling in the Marysville schools and early began to relieve
his father of the responsibility of farm management, continuing to live on
the old home place, which is still his home and which he now owns. Mr.
Dexter has three hundred and ten acres in that tract, a well-improved and
profitably cultivated farm, on which there are two sets of farm buildings.
In addition to his general farming he has given considerable attention to
the raising of live stock and has done very well.

On December 29, 1897, William H. Dexter was united in marriage
to Hettie Hewitt, who was born at Blue Rapids, this county, daughter of
Richard and Jane (Strange) Hewitt, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and
of Missouri, early settlers of Blue Rapids township, who are now living at
Jennings, Oklahoma, to which place they moved in 1893. To that union
four children have been born, Margaret Alice, Frederick William, Ralph
Hiram and Wilma Hettie, the two former of whom are now students in
the Marysville high school. Mr. and Mrs. Dexter are members of the Bap-
tist church and Mr. Dexter is a member of the board of trustees of the
same. He is a member of the Knights and Ladies of Security.



Lynn Rosegrant Brodrick. business manager of the Advocate-Democrat
at Marysville and partner with his father, the editor and postmaster of
Marysville, in the pnbhcation of that influential newspaper, was born at
Marcehne, Missouri, February i8, 1892, son of Harry AL and Emma L.
(Rosegrant) Brodrick, further mention of whom is made in a biographi-
cal sketch of the former presented elsewhere in this volume.

Lynn R. Brodrick was about eight years of age when his parents
located at Marysville and he grew to manhood in that city, receiving his
schooling in the public schools, and was graduated from the high school with
the class of 1909. From boyhood he had been an active assistant to his
father in the office of the latter's newspaper, the Marysiille Advocate-
Democrat, and on March i, 19 13, was given a one-third interest in the paper
by his father and has since been acting as business manager of the paper.
The plant of the Advocate-Democrat is one of the most up-to-date newspaper
plants in this part of the state and the paper is managed along modern
lines, long having been regarded as one of the ablest and most influential
newspapers in this part of the state. Lynn R. Brodrick is a Democrat
and in 191 5 was elected chairman of the Marshall county Democrat cen-
tral committee. He is now serving as secretary of the committee and is
recognized as one of the most active young Democrats in the county.

On November 17, 1914, Lynn R. Brodrick was united in marriage to
Jennie Schmidt Fulton, who was born on June i, 1891, at Marysville, the
daughter of E. R. and Jennie (Schmidt) Fulton, further mention of whom
is made in a biographical sketch of the former, presented elsewhere in this

Mrs. Brodrick secured her early education in the Marysville schools
and graduated from the high school in the class of 19 10. She completed
her education bv taking a year's course at the National Park Seminary at
Washington, D. C. She was an active and energetic worker in church circles,
having joined the Presbyterian church at the age of seventeen and engaged
in Sunday school and church work. She and her husband took an earnest
part in the general social activities of Marysville. On January 13, 1917,
at the age of twenty-five years, seven months and twelve days, she passed
away at her home after a brief illness.

Mr. Brodrick is a Royal Arch Mason and a Knight Templar and has
held Masonic offices. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of


America. In the affairs of these organizations and the others to which he
belongs he has always taken a warm interest. In the general affairs of
his home town he has taken an active interest even from the days of his
boyhood and has always given his time and influence to the advancement
of the general welfare of the city and the county at large.


William H. McAtee, one of the best-known farmers of St. Bridget
township, former trustee of that township and for years manager of the
grain elevator at Mina, is a native son of Kansas and has lived in this state
all his life. He was born in the city of Atchison on November lo, 1861.
son of W. J. and Sarah A. (Lancaster) McAtee, natives of Ohio, the former
of whom was an honored veteran of the Civil War, and who became sub-
stantial pioneer citizens of Marshall county, where they made their home for
many years.

W. J. McAtee w^as but a boy when his parents, James McAtee and wife,
moved from Ohio to Missouri and in the latter state he spent his young
manhood. There his father died and the family later, in 1858, came to
Kansas, settling on Elm creek in this county, among the very earliest set-
tlers in this part of the state. In 1856 W. J. McAtee moved into Doniphan
county and thence to Atchison, where he was living when the Civil War
broke out. He enlisted for service in the Fourth Regiment, Missouri State
Militia, and with that command saw considerable active service during the
war. In 1865 he returned to Atchison and with his family moved to Mar-
shall county and located on a farm in Elm Creek township, where he
remained until 1876, when he retired from the farm and moved to Blue
Rapids, where he made his home until 1881, when he returned to farming
and made his home on a farm in the Axtell neighborhood until 1887. I"
that year he definitely retired from farming and moved to Horton, where
he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1912, he then being
seventy-six years of age.

William H. McAtee was not yet four years of age when his parents
moved from Atchison to this county and he spent his boyhood on the home
farm in Elm Creek township, later moving with the family to Blue Rapids,
where he completed his schooling. When twenty-one years of age, in 1882.
he began working on his own account and rented a farm, on which, after


his marriage in 1884, he established his home and there he Hved until 1903,
when he took charge of the grain elevator at Mina and was thus engaged
until in July, 191 5. In the meantime he had bought the farm of one hun-
dred and twenty acres in St. Bridget township, on which he is now living,
and had been improving and developing the same, and upon his retirement
from his management of the elevator moved to that farm, where he and
his family are now pleasantly and comfortably situated. Mr. McAtee built
a new house on the farm, a house of eight rooms, with bath and modern
conveniences, the dwelling being beautifully located on a hill and command-
ing a fine view of the country for miles. His farm is otherwise well-
improved and he is regarded as one of the progressive farmers of that
township. Mr. McAtee is a Republican and for one term served the public

Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 91 of 104)