Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 92 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 92 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


as trustee of St. Bridget township, rendering a valuable service in that
connection.

Mr. McAtee has been twice married. In 1884 he married Ada Will-
iams, who died on May 2, 1895. leaving two children, Claude, who is now
operating the grain elevator at Mina, and Mrs. Ida Packard, of St. Bridget
township. In 1896 Mr. McAtee married Lottie Packard, daughter of J. W.
Packard, formerly of IMarshall county, now a resident of Enid, Oklahoma,
and to this union nine children have been born, Mrs. Vera Burton, of near
Axtell, Frank, Cora, William, Loyal, Howard, Chester. lola and Anna, the
latter of whom died in October, 19 16. The McAtees are members of the
Baptist church and take a proper interest in church work, as well as in
the general social activities of the community in which they live, and have
ever been helpful factors in advancing all good works in that community.



LACKLAND BROTHERS.

The impetus given to the breeding of Holstein cattle in Marshall county
by the Lackland Brothers, owners of a fine farm of two hundred and forty
acres three miles north of Axtell, has been of incalculable benefit to the
live-stock interests of this county and it is undoubted that they have done
very much toward developing the valuable animal industry of this part of
the state. The firm of Lackland Brothers has been engaged in the breeding
of pure-bred Holstein cattle for the past four years and has been very suc-
cessful, their stock being sold at private sale to breeders and cattle fanciers
over a wide range of territory in Kansas, Texas, Nebraska and Missouri.



924 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS,

In October, 1916. they shipped half a carload of fine stock to New Mexico
buyers and their market is being constantly extended. They are constantly
giving their earnest attention to the extension of the very valua1)le plant
they have created on their stock farm north of Axtell. The farm is well
improved, the improvements including two capacious silos and all grain
raised on the place is fed to the cattle. At the first annual Marshall County
Stock Show held at Blue Rapids on October 2, 1916, Lackland Brothers
took first and second prizes with their Holsteins and all the Holstein stock
exhibited at that fair originated from their herd, eight head of such exhibits
taking prizes.

The Lackland brothers are natives of Illinois, born in the city of Bloom-
ington, that state, sons of the Rev. M. P. and Edith (Tryner) Lackland,
both natives of that same state, who were for many years engaged in educa-
tional work at Bloomington, the Rev. M. P. Lackland later engaging in the
gospel ministry, and who are now living retired in their comfortable home
north of Axtell. The Rev. AI. P. Lackland was born in Tazewell county,
Illinois, and early engaged in educational work, presently being made presi-
dent of Chaddock College. One of the instructors in that college was Edith
Tryner, who was born in Bloomington, Illinois, in 1855, and was was
engaged in teaching for five years before her marriage to Mr. Lackland.
After their marriage both Mr. and Mrs. Lackland continued in their educa-
tional work and for seven years Mr. Lackland was engaged as professor
of mathematics in the Illinois Wesleyan University at Bloomington. He
then engaged in the gospel ministry, as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and was for seventeen years engaged in ministerial labors. In 1881
he had invested the proceeds of his share in the old home in Illinois in land
in this county, having bought the first quarter section in the northeast corner
of Murray township, and upon his retirement from the ministry a few
years ago came to Alarshall county and is now living here. To the Rev.
M. P. Lackland and wife were born three children, W. T., H. W. and Mar-
garet, the two sons being the well-known young stock breeders now doing
business in this county under the firm name of Lackland Brothers.

W. T. Lackland was born on March 11, 1884, and was educated in
the Ohio Wesleyan University and in the Chicago University, from which
latter institution he received his bachelor degree. He then was engaged in
Young Men's Christian Association work in Illinois for five years, at the
end of which time he became engaged as a traveling salesman for a whole-
sale furniture house at Chicago and was thus engaged for five years, at
the end of which time, February, 191 3, he came to Kansas and has since



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 925

been engaged in the live-stock business in this county, as set out above. He
is an active member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1904 W. T. Lackland
was united in marriage to Myra Barnes and to this union four children have
been born, Mabel, W. T., Jr., Barnes and Elizabeth Jane.

H. W. Lackland was born at Bloomington, IlHnois, December 5, 1891,
and completed his schooling in Knox College at Galesburg, Illinois, after
which for two years. 1912-13, he was engaged as teacher of mathematics in
the high school at Magnolia, Illinois. He then accompanied his brother to
Kansas and has since been engaged in the stock breeding business in partner-
ship with his brother, under the firm name of Lackland Brothers. The
Lacklands are members of the Holstein-Friesian Association of America and
of the similar association of breeders in Kansas and take an active part in
the deliberations of the same.

Margaret Lackland studied two years in the Illinois Woman's College,
one year in the University of Illinois and completed her schooling in the
Illinois Wesleyan University, from which institution she. received her degree.
She then taught four years in the Brimfield (Illinois) schools and succeeded
her brother as teacher of mathematics in the high school at Magnolia, and
was thus engaged at the time of his marriage to Prof. H. H. Hayes, instructor
in mathematics in the high school at Peoria, Illinois.



GEORGE B. BAUMAN.



One of the well-known and prominent retired farmers of Beattie, Mar-
shall county, is George B. Bauman. who was born in Ottawa county. Michi-
gan, on September 2. 1864, being the son of Henry and Harriett (Stettler)
Bauman.

Henry Bauman was born in Switzerland in 1823, where he lived until
he was nine years of age. when he came with his parents, William Bauman
and wife, to the United States and located in Seneca county, Ohio. There
he received his education in the public schools and grew to manhood on the
home farm, later locating in Michigan, where he engaged in general fann-
ing in Ottawa county, and where he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Regi-
ment, Michigan Volunteer Infantry, in April, 1863. He was detailed to
Indiana service and on account of ill health he was given an honorable dis-
charge. He later located in Nebraska and in 1870 he came to Kansas,
where he settled in section 4 Rock township, where he purchased eighty



926 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

acres of land. The tract at that time was all wild prairie. He built a
house and outbuildings, broke the land and engaged in general farming
and stock raising until the time of his death in 1889. As a young man
he learned the carpenter trade, which he followed for some years. Harriett
Stettler Bauman was born in Pennsylvania in February, 1832, and died in
March, 191 1. To them were born the following children: Jacob F. James
F., William H., Jr., Sarah, Emma. George B. and Elmer. William H., Jr.,
is a farmer of Marshall county and resides at Beattie; Jacob F. is retired
and lives at Salem. Oregon; James F. is a retired fruit grower of Fresno,
California; Sarah Dawson is a widow and lives at De Soto, Missouri;
Emma died when she was ten years of age and Elmer died in infancy.

George B. Bauman was but six years of age when his parents left their
home in Michigan and came to Gage county, Nebraska, where he was edu-
cated in the public schools and was reared on the home farm. After com-
Dletins: his education he remained on the home farm, and assisted his father
with the work until 'his father's death. In 19 10 he purchased one hundred
and twenty acres of land in Marshall county, on which he built a splendid
modern house and made other valuable improvements. His farm, which
is located just south of the city Hmits of Beattie, is one of the best in
the township. Here he is engaged in general farming and stock raising with
much success. He keeps a splendid lot of hogs and Shorthorn cattle, and
is today recognized as one of the substantial men and successful farmers
and stock raisers of the county. He has always taken an active interest in
local affairs, and has for many years been associated with the Republican
party. He has served as treasurer of Rock and Guittard townships, in which
positions he gave excellent service.

In 1895 George B. Bauman was united in marriage to Mary Bulkley,
who was born in Fayette county, Indiana, on January 18, 1869. and was
the daughter of Thomas and Clementine (Porter) Bulkley, both of w^hom
were natives of Indiana, where they received their education in the public
schools, grew up and were later married. In 1879 they came to Rock town-
ship, Marshall county, where they established their home on a farm, where
they resided until the time of their deaths some years ago. In 191 2 Mary
(Bulkley) Bauman died, and on July, 17, 1913, Mr. Bauman was married to
Aurora Kingsbury, who was born on February 11, 1876, in Johnson county,
Nebraska, the daughter of David and Harriett (Moore) Kingsbury. To
Mr. and A-Irs. Kingsbury, who are now deceased, there were three chil-
dren born, Aurilla D. Hardins. Aurora S. Bauman and Charles H. Kingsbury.

Mr. and Mrs. Bauman are active members of the Methodist Episcopal



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 927

church and are prominent in all the social and religions life of the town-
ship, where they have lived for so many years and where they are held in
the highest regard and esteem by all who know them. Mr. Bauman is a
member of the board of trustees of the church, and is active in the mem-
bership of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows a-nd the Knights and
Ladies of Security. His life has been a most active one and he has accom-
plished much that is w^orthy of note.



JAMES M. DILLEY.



James M. Dilley, one of Guittard township's best-known and most
substantial farmers and former trustee of that township, is a native of the
state of Illinois, but has been a resident of Kansas since the days of his
childhood. He was born on a farm in Carroll county, Illinois, November
22, 1864, son of Richard and Mary (Barnes) Dilley, who were the parents
of six children, of whom the subject of this sketch and his twin brother were
the last born. Richard Dilley was born on December 27, 1828, in Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania, and when a young man moved to Illinois, where he
engaged in farming, later coming to Kansas and settling on a farm in the
neighborhood of Hamlin. He died at St. Joseph, Missouri, in November,
1913, near the eighty-fifth year of his age. Richard Dilley was twice mar-
ried. His first wife. Alary Barnes, mother of the subject of this sketch,
who was born in Pennsylvania in 1830, died in 1877 and in 1878 Mr. Dilley
married Martha Burgess, who is still living. To that union one child was
born.

James ]\I. Dilley was reared on a farm and completed his schooling in
the schools of Hamlin, this state. Following his marriage at the age of
twenty-one he began farming on his own account, on a rented place, and
two years later, in 1887, bought the farm in Guittard township, this county,
where he ever since has made his home and on which he has made all the
present substantial improvements. Mr. Dilley is the owner of a quarter
of a section of land in section 18 and has a very pleasant home, his house
being situated on the Rock Island highway, two and one-half miles north-
west of Beattie. In addition to his general farming he long has given con-
siderable attention to the raising of high-grade live stock, specializing in
Shorthorn cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs, and has done very well. Mrs. Dilley
has more than a local reputation as a breeder of Barred Plymouth Rock



C)28 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

chickens and has frequently made successful exhibits of her poultry at the
fairs at Topeka, Marysville and other points. Mr. Dilley is a Democrat and
has lon^ given his earnest attention to local civic affairs, having served for
some time as trustee of his home township.

On December 24, 1885, at Hiawatha. Kansas, James M. Dilley was
united in marriage to Anna J- Martin, who was born at Seneca, this state,
February z-j. 1870, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Merry) Martin, the
former a native of Ireland and the latter of Canada, who came to Kansas
in 1867 and settled in Marshall county, later moving to Nemaha county,
and to this union seven children have been born, namely : Arthur, a graduate
of the Beattie schools, now farming in Franklin township, who married
Myrtle Pautz, of Brown county, and has one child, a son, Martin; Richard,
a farmer in Guittard township, who was graduated from the high school at
Beattie and taught district schools for six terms, married Edna Capps, of this
county, and has one child, a daughter, Lauretta; Addie, who also was grad-
uated from the Beattie schools and from Nazareth Academy, taught school
for four terms, married Martin Flannigan, a grain and live-stock dealer at
Summerfield, and has two daughters, Catherine and Mary; Clyde, also a
graduate of the Beattie schools, who is at home; Annabel, at home; Coburn,
also at home, and one, the sixth in order of birth, who died in infancy. The
Dilley s are members of the Catholic church and take a proper interest in
the affairs of the same, as well as in the general social activities of the com-
munity in which they live, helpful factors in the promotion of all causes hav-
ing to do with the advancement of the common good thereabout.



JACOB WULLSCHLEGER.

Jacob \\'ullschleger, for years one of the best-known and most success-
ful carpenters and builders in Alarshall county, but since 1908 a farmer in
Center township, proprietor of a fine place of a quarter of a section there, is
a native of the republic of Switzerland, but has been a resident of this
country since 1882. He was born in the canton Aargau, Switzerland, August
5, 1859, son of Isaac and .Vnna \^\lllschleger, both natives of that same
country, the former born in 1829 and the latter, in 1830, who spent all their
lives there, the latter dying in 1872 and the former in 1877. Isaac Wull-
schleger was a farmer and carpenter and a substantial citizen in the neigh-
borhood in which he lived. Fie and his wife were the parents of nine chil-



o
c
w



o



>




MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 929

dren, of whom the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth and
all of whom came to this country save Ida, the first-born, who died in her
native land, the others being as follow : Mrs. Anna Costin, of Wichita, this
state; Emma, who is married and lives in Oregon; Robert, one of the best-
known residents of Center township, this county, who for years was engaged
with his brother, Jacob, in building operations in this county; Richard, also of
Center township; Otto, who is now living in California; Ferdinand, of Okla-
homa City, and Mrs. Albertine Lenderman, who is living on a farm near
Oklahoma City.

Jacob Wullschleger received his schooling in his native Switzerland and
early learned from his father the carpenter trade, at which he and his brother,
Robert, worked there until the fall of 1882, when they came to the United
States, proceeding to Livingston county, Illinois, not long afterward coming
on over into Kansas, locating near \\''ichita. In the spring of 1884 they
came to Marshall county and located at Marysville, where they began work-
ing as carpenters and builders and were there thus engaged for a period of
twenty-eight years, during which time they l)ecame recognized as among the
most successful building contractors in this part of the state, many of the
best buildings not only at Marysville, but in other parts of this and surround-
ing counties having been erected l)y them. In 1907 Jacob \\\illschleger
bought a quarter of a section of land in Center township and decided to
become a farmer, the love of the soil being inherent in him, the Wullschlegers
for generations back having been farmers. In 1908 he moved to the farm
and has since lived there, he "and his family being very well situated. Mr.
Wullschleger has one of the best farm plants in the county. His buildings
are of an excellent type and occupy a beautiful site on rolling land, or rather
a group of knolls, offering admirable opportunities for landscape gardening.
Much stone is used in the buildings and the driveway up to the house is
enclosed between stone walls. Besides the commodious residence there are
two barns, a garage, an ample granary, corn cribs and the like, all well kept,
and an orchard in the rear. In addition to his general farming operations
Mr. Wullschleger gives considerable attention to the raising of grade Hol-
stein cattle and is doing very well. Politically, he is a Republican, but dur-
ing the years of his busy life in this county has not found time to seek public
office.

On April 18, 1885, the spring after he came to Marshall county, Jacob
Wullschleger was united in marriage to Rosa Schwartz, also a native of the
republic of Switzerland, born in the canton of Bern on April 27, 1865, daugh-

(59)



930 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

ter of Christ and Anna (Hanni) Schwartz, who came to America in 1883,
arriving: in Marshall county on December 31 of that year. Christ Schwartz
(lied in Oklahoma in 1892 and his widow survived him three years, her death
occurrino- in 1895. To Mr. and ]\Irs. Wullschleger six children have been
born, namely: Otto, born on January 8, 1886, w^ho is at home assisting his
father in the operations of the farm ; Anna. November 10. 1887, who mar-
ried Lawrence Griffis and is livini^ at hVankfort, this county; Ida, April 7,
1890, born at Laramie, Wyoming, where the family spent one year, who is
now a nurse in the Sisters. hospital at .St. Joseph; Huldah, April 18, 1893, at
home; Ernest, January 15, 1900, and Walter, July 17, 1905. The Wull-
schlegers are members of the Evangelical church and take a warm interest
in church affairs, as well as in the general social affairs of their community,
heli)ful in ])romoting all worthy causes thereabout.



ALFRED JOHNSON,



Alfred Johnson, recently deceased, was one of Lincoln township's best-
known and most substantial farmers and was the proprietor of a farm of
two hundred acres in section 28 of that township. He w^as a native of the
kingdom of Sweden, but had been a resident of this county for more than
thirty years. He was born in Sweden on March 10, 1857, son of John Ben-
son and Brigitta Johnson, natives of that same country, who spent all their
lives there and who were the parents of six children, those besides the sub-
ject of this sketch being as follow: Herman, deceased; Amelia, deceased;
Josephine, deceased; Edwin, a farmer in Lincoln township, this county, and
Klaus, who is still living in his native land.

Reared in Sweden, Alfred Johnson remained there until March 31,
1884, when he sailed for this country in company with a cousin, with a view
to joining the considerable Swedish colony that had been established in
this county. He arrived at the station at Frankfort on April 4, 1884, with
just two dollars and fifty cents in his pocket with which to start in a new
country. Without delay he .secured employment on the Spiller farm., engaging
his services there at the wage of sixteen dollars a month, and was thus engaged
for two years, at the end of which time he had saved two hundred, and fifty
dollars. With that money he bought a team of horses, a set of harness and
a wagon and thus equipped for work on his own account rented a farm of
sixty acres in Rock township. That w^as in 1887 and those w'hp. recall the



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS, 93 1

two dry years that followed that date may have some notion of the dis-
couragement that must have attended Mr. Johnson's first attempt at Ameri-
can farming. The succeeding two years, however, were better and at the
end of that time he saw his way clear to the purchase of a small farm. It
was then that he bought eighty acres of the farm on which he is now living,
assuming in that transaction a couple of mortgages carrying twelve and one-
half per cent, interest. During the first year of Mr. Johnson's ownership
of that farm he raised excellent crops and he felt that he was "getting on
his feet'' in the new land. This emboldened him to build a house on the
place and that structure, a building fourteen by twenty feet, left him, including
the outstanding obligation on his land, seventeen hundred dollars in debt,
but he continued to prosper and by the time of his marriage seven years
later had the place all paid for and admirably improved. In 1903 Mr. John-
son bought an additional "forty" and in 1905 bought another "eighty,"'
which gave him an excellent farm of two hundred acres, on which he and
his family were very pleasantly situated. The farm house, an admirably
appointed dwelling of nine rooms, sets well up on an attractive knoll and is
approached by a beautiful driveway lx)rdered by maples and evergreens
planted by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson. In addition to his general farming Air.
Johnson gave considerable attention to the raising of live stock and did
very well, his Durham cattle and Duroc- Jersey hogs being a source of a
good bit of extra revenue.

On February 21, 1900. Alfred Johnson was united in marriage to
Netta Lew, who also was born in the kingdom of Sweden, November i,
1867, daughter of Jons Assarsson, who was born on October 29, 18 16, and
died on April 4, 1898. Mrs. Johnson traces her genealogy back in an unbroken
line to the year 1500 and the family, beginning with Bengt, have lived on
the same farm in Sweden for three hundred and twenty-two years. Jons
Assarsson married Ingrid Johanna Palsdatter, who was born on September
6, 1828, and who died on December 18, 1890. and had the following chil-
dren: Anna- Brita, Per, Petronella, Karl Ludwig, Neta, John and Nils.
In Mav, 1888, Mrs. Johnson came to America in company with her brother,
Johan, their destination being the Swedish settlement in this county, where
they had kinsfolk living. After a few weeks spent there she went to Kansas
City, whence she presently returned to Sweden and there resumed her place
as a teacher ; but later returned to the United States and at Cambridge and
Boston, Massachusetts, was engaged as a teacher in an evening school. From
there she went to Rock Island, Illinois, and there entered i\ugustana College
and after a course in that institution returned to Kansas and was engaged



932 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

as a teacher in the parocliial school in the S\vc(Hsli settlement in this county,
and was thus engaged for two years, at the end of which time she went to
Kansas City and there taught school for a year. She then returned to Mar-
shall county, where she married Mr. Johnson. Mrs. Johnson has had a fine
career as a teacher and a student and has written considerable poetry which
has been published and which occupies a well-defined place in the "History
of the Swedish Settlement of Marshall County."

To Alfred and Netta Johnson five children were born, namely : John
Arthur, born on December lo, 1900; Walton Alfred, July 3, 1902; Reuben
Milton, March 6, 1904; Ruth Signe, October 21, 1905, and Herbert Theo-
dore, February 15, 1907. Mr. Johnson was a member of the Swedish
Lutheran church and of which he was a member of the deaconate and sec-
retary of the local congregation. For twelve years he was treasurer of the
â– church, with which he had been connected since 1888. Mrs. Johnson is sec-
retary and treasurer of the Ladies' Aid Society of the church and gives
lier earnest attention to the various beneficences of the church, as well as
to all local good works, helpful in promoting all movements having to do
with the advancement of the general welfare of the community in which
she lives. Mr. Johnson was a Republican, as is Mrs. Johnson, and was a
member of the school board. He took an active interest in local political
affairs and was an earnest exponent of good government.

Mr. Johnson died on May 7, 19 17, and was buried at the Swedish
cemetery on May 9, 191 7.



ARTHUR D. MORSE.



Arthur D. Morse, a well-known and substantial farmer and stockman
<of Wells township, this county, is a native son of that township, born on
a pioneer farm within half a mile of his present home, and has lived in
that vicinity all his life. He was born on June 22, 1869, son of George N.



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 92 of 104)