Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 93 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 93 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and Louisa (Osborn) Morse, the former a native of the state of New
York and the latter of Illinois, who became pioneers of Marshall county
;and active and influential residents of the settlement in which they made
their home in Wells township.

George N. Morse, an honored veteran of the Civil War, is still living
in this county, of which he has been a resident since 1867. He was born
in New York state in May, 1843, son of John Morse and wife, and when
3. boy moved with his parents to Illinois, where he grew to manhood and


where he was Hving when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in the
service of the Union and served with an Illinois regiment until the close
of the war. Upon the completion of his military service he returned to
Illinois and remained there until 1867, when he came to Kansas and home-
steaded a tract of land in section 24 of Wells township, this county, where
he built a frame house, one of the first frame houses in that part of the
county, and there established his home, remaining there until his retire-
ment from the farm and removal to Frankfort, where, of late years, he has
maintained a home. He is an active member of the local post of the Grand
Army of the Republic and has ever taken a warm interest in the affairs of
that patriotic organization, though of late years he has been practically an
invalid and unable to attend the meetings of the post. His wife is a native
of Illinois, born in Knox county, that state, a daughter of Robert and
Betsy (Rountree) Osborn, natives, respectively, of Illinois and Kentucky,
the former of whom w^as a son of Stephen Osborn, an Illinois pioneer.
In 1866 the Osborns moved from Illinois to Kansas and settled about a
mile north of the Barrett settlement in this county, Robert Osborn home-
steading a tract of land in that community, thus becoming early settlers in
Marshall county. To George N. Morse and wife four children were born,
of whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth, the
others being Mrs. Hattie Feldhausen, of Vermillion township, this county;
Fred, of Junction City, Kansas, and Mrs. Ida Leach, deceased.

Arthur D. Moore was reared on the homestead farm in Wells town-
ship and received his schooling in the district school in that neighborhood,
the old Osborn school. From boyhood he was a valued aid to his father
in the labors of developing and improving the home place and remained at
home until he was twenty-two years of age, w^hen he bought his present
home place of eighty acres in the immediate vicinity of his old home place
and after his marriage shortly afterward established his home there and
has ever made that his place of residence. Mr. Morse formed}^ owned an-
other tract of eighty acres in Wells township, but sold that place to invest in
cattle for a range of tw^o hundred and forty acres he bought in Pottawatomie
county in 1909 and which latter place he still owns. He has made extensive
and up-to-date improvements on his home place and he and his family are
very comfortably situated there. Mr. Morse is a Republican and ever since
1896 has served as treasurer of his home township.

On December 28, 1892, Arthur D. Morse was united in marriage to
Emma L. Lefler, who was born in Brown county, this state, not far from
the village of Severance, March 13, 1872, daughter of Henry and Anne


(Evans) Lefler. natives, respectively, of the state of Ohio and of the prin-
cipaHtv of Wales, who became pioneers of Kansas. Henry Lefler, who was
born at Toledo, Ohio, in 1840, was living in the state of Iowa when the
Civil War broke out and in 1861 he enlisted for service in the Union Army
as a member of Company H, Thirteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infan-
try, with which command he served for three years, being mustered out in
1864. ^^ 1866 he came to Kansas and entered a soldier's claim to a home-
stead tract in Brown county. While living there he married Anne Evans,
who was born in Wales in 1849 ^^'^^^ "^^'^^^ '^^'^^ ^^^^t a small child when her
parents came to this country in 1853 and settled in the vicinity of St. Joseph,
Missouri, where she grew to womanhood. In the spring of 1873 Henry
Lefler disposed of his interests in Brown county, this state, and moved to
Smith county, where he homesteaded another tract and where he made his
home until 1882, when he came to Marshall county and located on a farm
in Wells township, where he lived until his retirement in old age and removed
to Frankfort, where he died in 1897. His widow survived him for four-
teen years, her death occurring in 191 1. They were the parents of three
children, those besides Mrs. Morse, the second in order of birth, being Frank-
lin, who died in infancy, and Mrs. Lydia Isabelle Wilson, a widow, of
Frankfort, who makes her home much of the time with her sister, Mrs.
Morse. Mr. and Mrs. Morse are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church and take a proper interest in the general beneficences of the same, as
well as in the general good works of the community in which thev live. Mrs.
Morse is a member of Henderson Corps No. 9, Woman's Relief Corps, at
Frankfort, and has been secretary of that patriotic organization since 1907.


Samuel Wesley Tilley. proprietor of beautiful "Long View Stock
Farm," in Wells township, and one of the best-known breeders of pure-
bred Hereford cattle and Poland China hogs in Kansas, is a native of the
Dominion of Canada, but has been a resident of Marshall county since his
childhood, his parents having come here in the summer of 1869, and is there-
fore familiar with the development of this county since pioneer days. He
was born in Canada on October 2, 1865, son of James and Margaret (Watt)
Tilley, natives of the Dominion, who became pioneers of this county, the
former spending his last days here and the latter still living in this county.


James Tilley was liorn in 1832 and was reared in the province of
Toronto, where he married and where he continued to make his home until
1869, when he came to Kansas wdth his family, settHng in Marshall county
in June of that year. Upon coming to this county Mr. Tilley homesteaded
a tract of eighty acres in Wells township, the place now owned by the sub-
ject of this sketch, and there established his home. He was an energetic and
progressive farmer and it was not long until he began enlarging his holdings.
gra.:lually acquiring large tracts of land, which he later distributed among
his sons as they began to branch out for themselves. Mr. Tilley also was
one of the pioneer breeders of pure-bred live stock and became very success-
ful. He w^as a Republican and from the time he secured his citizenship took
an active and an influential part in local political affairs. For five years he
filled the important office of "pathmaster," or highway commissioner. He
and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church and ever took
an earnest part in local good works. James Tilley died in October, 1901,
and his widow, w^ho was born in 1834, is still living at her old home in this
county. They were the parents of four sons, the subject of this sketch hav-
ing three brothers. Richard Henry Tilley, of Rock township, this county;
John James Tilley, of that same tow^nship, and William Edward Tilley, who
lives on a farm in section 10 of Wells township, north of "Long View Stock

As noted above, Samuel W. Tilley was not yet four years of age when
his parents came to Marshall county and he grew to manhood on the old
homestead in Wells township, a valuable aid in the labors of developing and
improving the same and in extending his father's successful operations, par-
ticularlv in connection with the latter's early operations in stock breeding.
His schooling was obtained in district No. 45 and he remained at home until
his marriage in 1893, when he built his present house on "Long View Stock
Farm,'' where he since has resided and where he and his family are very
pleasantly situated. Mr. Tilley is the owner of four hundred and eighty
acres in his home place and of another tract, a farm of two hundred acres,
northeast of there, on the Vermillion river. As early as 1881 Mr. Tilley
became interested in the breeding of pure-bred Hereford cattle, operating
along that line in connection with his father, and has ever since given his
close attention to the improvement of the strain of cattle throughout this
section of Kansas. He now^ has a herd of more than one hundred and forty
registered Herefords. the present leader of the herd being "Letham Fairfax,
414471," purchased for four thousand one hundred dollars at the world-
record sale held at the Warren T. McCrav stock farm at Kentland, Indiana,


May 17, 19 1 6. when seventy-one head of cattle were sold at an average price
of two thousand one hundred and eighty dollars. Another prized bull in
Mr. Tilley's herd is "Kelsey, 415690," purchased as a calf from the herd
of the Drennen brothers. Mr. Tilley thus having two of the finest bulls in
Kansas. He also owns a half-sister of "Letham Fairfax," "Celia Fairfax,
317650," worth two thousand dollars. Mr. Tilley has admirably-equipped
feeding and housing facilities for his herd and his farm plant is provided
with all the modern accessories for the successful prosecution of agricultural
and breeding operations. He has a number of imported cows and at the
19 1 6 exhibit of the Marshall County Fair Association at Blue Rapids was
awarded first prizes in everything in the class of his exhibits, and he also
won first and sweepstakes at the Washington county fair. Among his cows
are gets from such famous bulls as "Weston Stamp, 86091," "Majestic
Baron, 190860," "Majestic Prince, 59182," and "Onward XVHI, 15 1572,"
a prize winner. Mr. Tilley also has been engaged in the breeding of pure-
bred Poland China hogs for the past thirty-five years and for the past fifteen
years has kept a record of his pens, having done much in the way of improv-
ing the strain of swine throughout this part of the state. Mr. Tilley is a
member of the American Hereford Breeders' Association and of the Amer-
ican Poland China Breeders' Association and in the affairs of these two asso-
ciations takes an active interest, being widely known among breeders through-
out the country. In his political views Mr. Tilley is an independent Repub-
lican and he has served for four terms as clerk of his home township.

In 1893 Samuel W. Tilley was united in marriage to Mary Catherine
Walmer, who was born in Pennsylvania, daughter of John Thomas and
Rachel Elizabeth (Love) Walmer, also natives of Pennsylvania, the former
of whom died in that state and the latter of wdiom came to Kansas in the
fall of 1903 and has since made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Tilley. To
Mr. and Mrs. Tilley seven children have been born, namely : John Wesley,
who is assisting his father in the operations of "Long View Stock Farm;"
Elverina, deceased ; Victor Thomas, now a student in high school at Frank-
fort; James Laverne, Marion Walmer, Earl Blair (deceased) and Margaret
Elizabeth. Mr. and Mrs. Tilley are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church, in the various beneficences of which they take a proper part, as well
as in the general social activities of the community in which they live, help-
ful in promoting all movements having to do with the advancement of the
common welfare thereabout. Mr. Tilley is a member of the local branch of
the Anti-Horsethief xA.ssociation and has taken an interested part in the
activities of that energetic organization.



Charles Erickson, a well-known farmer of Lincoln township and the
proprietor of a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres in section 24
of that township, may properly be regarded as one of the pioneers of Mar-
shall county, for he has lived here since 1870, having been but a boy when
his parents settled in this county, among the very first settlers of the consid-
erable Swedish settlement that later sprang up in the eastern part of the
county. Mr. Erickson is a native of Sweden, born on January 13, 1857, son
of John and Mary Erickson, both natives of that same country, the former
born in 1814 and the latter in 1825, who became pioneers of Marshall county
and here spent their last days.

In the spring of 1870 John Erickson and his family came to the United
States and came on out to Kansas, settling in this county, which at that time
was beginning to attract settlers in considerable numbers. Upon his arrival
here John Erickson homesteaded a "forty" in section 24 of what later came
to be subdivided as Lincoln township, luit which then was included in Noble
township, and there established his home, one of the first Swedish settlers in
that part of the county. He built a small frame house, a mere "shack" in
comparison with the residences of that section today, but which even at that
was a better dwelling than most of his neighbors, who were living in sod
shanties or dug-outs. The Ericksons endured all the hardships and priva-
tions of pioneering on the plains, but stuck to the farm even in the face of
early discouragements and eventually became well established. John Erick-
son was a man of strong physique and a good farmer and he and his sons
worked together to such advantage that they presently were able to enlarge
their land holdings and became the owners of a fine farm of a half section
of land. John Erickson lived to the age of eighty-six years, his death occur-
ring in 1900. His widow survived him nine years, her death occurring
in 1909. They were the parents of two children, sons both, the subject
of this sketch having had a brother, August, who died at the age of thirty-
two years.

Charles Erickson was but thirteen years of age when he came here with
his parents in 1870 and he grew to manhood thoroughly familiar with pioneer
conditions hereabout. In the absence of any properly organized schools in
that section at that time, he pursued the studies that had been interrupted
when he left his native land by careful home reading. From the very be-
ginning of his residence here he was a valued aid to his father in the labors
of developing and improving the home farm and is now the owner of the


half section his father acquired there, one of the best-improved farms in that
neighborhood. Mr. Erickson is Hving in the old house, one of the first
houses erected in Lincoln township, and is surrounded there by an excellent
farm plant. In 191 4 he erected a set of buildings on his north quarter,
where his son, Ivan, and family now make their home. For eight years Mr.
Erickson was engaged in Hereford breeding and had a fine herd of thorough-
breds, which he sold in 19 13, preceding a trip with his wife to Colorado,
Mrs. Erickson's state of health at that time requiring a change of climate.
Mr. Erickson is a Republican and upon the organization of Lincoln township
as a separate civic entity was elected treasurei- of the same and served in that
capacity for two terms.

In 1882 Charles Erickson was united in marriage to Justina Johnson,
who was born in Sweden on June 16, 1861, and who had come to this coun-
try in 1 88 1. Mrs. Erickson died on February 10, 19 16. To that union
three children were born, Ellen, who died at the age of twenty-one years;
I\'an, farming on the home place, who married Anna Fromm and has one
child, a daughter, Ellen, and Clarence, who is at home with his father, help-
ing to farm the home place. Mr. Erickson is a member of Vermillion Lodge
No. 30, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and takes a warm interest in
Masonic affairs.


Andrew Kjellberg, trustee of Lincoln township and for nearly fifteen
years a member of his local school board, proprietor of a well-improved farm
in section 22 of his home township and for years actively identified with the
development of that part of the county, has been a resident of Marshall
county since 1881, having come here with his parents when but a boy. He
was born at Rockford,- Illinois, November 4, 1867, son of Andrew and
Johanna Kjellberg, natives of the kingdom of Sweden, the former born in
January, 1833, and the latter, September 9, 1831, who came to the United
States in 1866, locating at Rockford, Illinois, w^here they remained until
1 88 1, when they came to Kansas and settled in this county, where Mr. Kjell-
berg spent his last days and where his widow is still living.

The senior Andrew Kjellberg was a carpenter in his native land and
upon coming to this country and locating at Rockford, he followed his trade
in that city and became 'a stockholder in a furniture factory there. In that
city he made his home until 1881, when he came to Kansas with his family


and settled in Rock township, this county, establishing his home on a farm
in section ii of that township, presently becoming owner of that entire sec-
tion. ]Mr. Kjellberg was a good farmer and with the assistance of his sons
developed a fine farm, on which he made his home until 1893, when he sold
his place and moved to Vliets, where he spent his last days, his death occur-
ring on July 24, 1897. To him and his wife six children were born, of whom
the subject of this sketch was the fifth in order of birth, the others being as
follow : Mrs. Anna L. Long, of Collinsville, Oklahoma ; -John, of Rock
Island, Illinois ; Levine, deceased ; Emma, who makes her home with her
brother Andrew and family, and Charles, a farmer two miles north of

The junior Andrew Kjellberg was not yet fourteen years of age when
his parents came to this county from Illinois and he grew to manhood on
the home farm in Rock township, completing his elementary studies in the
schools of that neighborhood and supplementing the same by a course in
Bethany College at Lindsborg. In 1890 he began farming for himself on a
part of his father's section of land and in 1892 he and his brothers assumed
entire management of the big farm and directed its operations. After the
farm was sold in 1893 Andrew Kjellberg engaged in farming a quarter of
a section at Vliets with his father and in 1896 was married there. In 1900
he bought the farm on which he is now living, in section 22 of Lincoln town-
ship, established his home there and has ever since made that his place of
residence, he and his family being very comfortably situated. Mr. Kiellberg
owns two hundred and fifty-six acres, which he has improved in excellent
shape, having a good house, ample farm buildings, a capacious silo and other
equipment for an up-to-date farm plant. He raises about a carload of Duroc-
Jersey hogs each year and is doing well in his farming operations. ^Ir.
Kjellljerg is a Republican and lias long given close attention to local political
affairs. Since 1900 he has been a member of the school board and in
November, 19 16, was elected trustee of Lincoln township, a position of
responsibility and trust which he is now filling very acceptably.

On February 20, 1896, at Vliets, Andrew Kjellberg was united in mar-
riage to Ellen A. Peterson, who was born in Morris county, this state, March
14, 1876, daughter of John A. Peterson and wife, the former of whom is
still living, a resident of Marshall county since 1882. John A. Peterson was
born in Sweden on December 24. 1844, and came to the United States in
September, 1871, locating at Chicago, where he worked in a machine shop
and foundry for three years, or until 1874, when he came to Kansas and
homesteaded a farm in Morris countv. There he made his home until 1882,


when he disposed of his interests in that county and came to Marshall county.
Mr. Peterson owns a farm adjoining that of his son-in-law, Mr. Kjellberg,
and makes his home with the latter. In 1873 John A. Peterson was mar-
ried to Mrs. Anna Brumcjuist, a widow, who was born in Sweden and who
died in 1879, leaving two children, Mrs. Kjellberg having a brother, Arvid
Leonard, who is now^ living in Iowa. By a former marriage Mrs. Peterson
had a son, Oscar W., now living in Minnesota.

To Mr. and Mrs. Kjellberg have been born seven children, Arthur,
Elton, Cora, Judith, Clifford, Marshall and Gladys. The Kjellbergs are
members of the Swedish Lutheran church and take an active part in church
affairs. Mr. Kjellberg being treasurer of the local congregation.


Samuel J. Beaty, lately deceased, was a substantial stockman, farmer and
landowner of Marshall county, who lived at Vermillion. He was a native
son of this county and had lived here all his life. He was born on a pioneer
farm two and one-half miles north and one-half miles west of the present
village of Vermillion on October 6, 1859, son of Major Steele and Elizabeth
(Watson) Beaty, natives, respectively, of Ohio and of Indiana, who settled
in this county in 1857 and here spent the remainder of their lives, influential
and useful pioneers.

Major Steele Beaty was a son of Virginia parentage, born in Ohio in
February, 1826, who in his youth moved to Indiana, where he married
Elizabeth Watson, who was born in that state in February, 1836. In the
spring of 1856 he and his wife went to Iowa with a view to settling in that
state, but not satisfied with conditions found there, came to Kansas and
in June, 1857, settled in Marshall county, one of the first families to locate
in this county. Upon coming here Major Beaty bought a pre-emption
claim in what later was organized as Noble township, built a log cabin on
the same, established his home there and proceeded to develop the claim,
soon becoming quite well fixed. During the Indian trouble of that year
he was one of the company organized to put down the rebellious redskins and
in other ways did well his part in the work of creating a proper social
order hereabout. Major Beaty prospered in his farming operations and
gradually added to his land holdings until he became the owner of eight
hundred and forty acres and was accounted one of the most substantial resi-


dents of that part of the county. He was a Repubhcan and ever took an
active part in local political affairs and in 1888-90 served as a member of
the board of county commissioners. In his religious faith he was a Presby-
terian and he and his wife were active in good works in the early days of
the settlement of the county. Major Beaty helped build the local house of
worship of the Church of God, later taken over by the Presbyterians, also
helped to build the Presbyterian church at Vermillion, of which he was a
ruling elder. In 1894 Major Beaty retired from the farm and moved to
Vliets, where he and his wife made their home until 1901, when they moved
to Vermillion, where they spent their last days, dying within two days of
each other, Mrs. Beaty dying on January 22, 19 12, and the Major dying
two days later, January 24, 19 12. They were the parents of three children,
Samuel J., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Lorena Cannon, of Baldwin, this
state, and William W. Beaty, now living at Linn, in the neighboring county
of Washington.

Samuel J. Beaty was reared on the home farm in Noble township and
supplemented the schooling he received in the early schools of this county by
a course of two years at Monroe Institute at Atchison. Until 1890 he
remained connected with his father's extensive farming interests and then
began farming on his own account, buying an eighty-acre farm one-half
mile west of Vermillion, to which he presently added an adjoining quarter
section, and now has there a well-improved and profitably cultivated farm
of two hundred and forty acres. There Mr. Beaty made his home until
1 9 14, when he retired from the farm and moved to Vermillion, where he
had been living up to the time of his death on May 28, 191 7. Meantime,
Mr. Beaty continued to add to his land holdings and was the owner of six
hundred and forty acres of excellent land, all located in Noble and Lincoln
townships. Mr. Beaty was a Republican and ha dever given a good citizen's
attention to local political aft'airs, but had not been included in the office-
seeking class.

In December, 1884, Samuel J. Beaty was united in marriage to Claudia
Randall, who was born in Buchanan county, Missouri, December 26, 1884,
daughter of William and Elizabeth (Yates) Randall, natives, respectively,
of the state of New York and of Missouri, the latter of whom was a daugh-
ter of Kentuckians who had settled in Missouri at an early day in the set-
tlement of that state. In 1880 the Randalls came to Kansas, locating on a

Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 93 of 104)