Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 94 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 94 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


farm three miles southwest of Axtel, where they lived until 1894, when Mr.
Randall joined a son in the development of a homestead in Oklahoma, where
he died in 1899. His widow survived him about four years, her death



942 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

occurring in 1903. To Mr. and ]\Irs. Beaty were two sons, Fred Steele
Beaty, born on January 11, 1889. who is now living at Kansas City and
Claude S. Beaty, January 25, 1891, who is now living at Chicago, Illinois,
who married Beth Eaton, of Topeka. and has one child, a daughter, Betty
Ann, born on December 4, 19 16. Air. Beaty was a member of the Alethodist
Episcopal church, as is Mrs. Beaty, and they ever lent their aid and influence
to all movements having to do with the advancement of the general welfare
of the community.

Samuel J. Beaty died at his home in Vermillion on May 28, 191 7, aged
fifty-seven vears, seven months and twenty-two days. His death was the
cause of deep regret to his family and a large circle of friends.



LLOYD BENNETT.



Lloyd Bennett, one of the best-known and most progressive farmers
and stockmen of Wells township, is a native of Virginia, but has been a
resident of Kansas since the days of his boyhood and has therefore been
a witness to the development of this part of the country since pioneer days.
He was born in Harrison county, in that section of the Old Dominion now
comprised in West Virginia, August 9, 1859, son of A. H. and Sarah
(Husted) Bennett, also natives of Virginia.

A. H. Bennett was an ardent Union man and when the Civil War broke
out was an active champion of the movement to bring about a separation
of the loyal western part of the Old Dominion from the seceding state and
he went to the front as a soldier of the West Virginia regiments, serving
until the close of the war. His wife, the mother of the subject of this
sketch, died in West Virginia and he afterward married again and in 1871
came to Kansas with his family and homesteaded a tract of land in Cloud
county, where he established his home and where he spent the remainder
of his life, his death occurring in 19 10.

Lloyd Bennett was about twelve years of age when he came to Kansas
with his father and he remained on the homestead farm in Cloud county
until he was sixteen years of age, when, in 1875, ^^ came over into Marshall
county and began herding cattle on the Hadley farm three miles south of
Irving. He then began working on the W. J. Williams farm and was thus
engaged until his marriage in 1881, when he rented a farm one mile north
of Bigelow and began farming on his own account. A year later he bought



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 943

eighty acres of his present farm in section 12 of Wells township and there
established his home. Upon taking possession of that place Mr. Bennett
began a systematic series of improvements and it was not long until he had
a well-improved and profitably cultivated farm. As he prospered in his
operations he added to his place and now has a very well-kept farm of one
hundred and sixty acres and one of the best farm plants in that part of the
county. In addition to his general farming, Mr. Bennett has long given
considerable attention to the raising of high-grade live stock and has done
very well. He has a cement silo on his place and in other' ways his farm
plant shows evidences of the progressive character of his farming.

In 1 88 1 IJoyd Bennett was united in marriage to Arta Belle Wells,
who was born in this county in 1858, daughter of John D. and Elizabeth
Wells, who were among the earliest settlers in Marshall county and further
and fitting mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume, and to this
union six children have been born, two sons and two daughters. George L.
Bennett, of Kansas City, and Archibald, Ethel and Edith, who are at home,
and two who died in infancy. The Bennetts have a very pleasant home and
have ever taken a proper interest in the general social activities of the com-
munity in which they live, helpful in the promotion of all worthy causes
thereabout. Mr. Bennett is a Democrat and gives a good citizen's attention
to local political affairs, but has not been a seeker after public office.



LARS PETER OLSON.



Lars Peter Olson, a well-known and substantial farmer of Lincoln
township and the owner of a fine home and two hundred and forty acres
of land in section 7 of that township, is a native of the kingdom of Sweden,
but has been a resident of Marshall county since 1879. He was born on
January 20, 1852, son of Benson and Engelina Olson, also natives of Sweden,
who spent all their lives in their native land. He received his schooling in
his native land and remained there until he was nineteen years of age, when,
in 1871, he came to the United States and was for two years engaged in
railroad work in Pennsylvania. He then, in 1873, I'eturned to Sweden,
married there, and in 1879 came back to this country and proceeded on out
to Kansas, locating in IMarshall county, which has ever since been his home.

In 1880, not long after his arrival in Marshall county, Mr. Olson
bought a tract of one hundred and twenty acres of school land one and one-



944 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

half iinlos east of the Swedish Lutheran chiireh aiul proceeded U) improve
and devel(^p the same. In 1900 he sold that place to advantage and hought
his present place of two hundred and forty acres in section ' 7 of Lincohi
township, where he and his family are very comfortably and very pleas-
antl}^ situated. ^Fr. Olson has done well in his general farming and stock
raising operations and has improved his farm in excellent shape. In 1893
he thought to broaden his held by homesteading a tract of land over in the
western part of the state and rented his home farm and went to Wallace
countv, where he homesteaded a (juarter of a section of land and spent two
years there developing the same. These were dry years, however, and he
lost on his venture. He returned to his home farm in this county in 1895
and has since been quite content to regard Marshall comity as a good enough
place of residence for anyone.

In 1875, in Sweden. Lars Peter Olson was united in marriage to Jose-
phine Benson, who was born in that country on February 7, 1854, daughter
of Benson and Anna Anderson, who spent all their lives in their native
land, and to this union seven children have been born, namely : Augusta, who
married Albin Odberg, of Kettle River, Minnesota, and has two children,
Gertrude and Matilda; Oscar, now living at St. Joseph, Missouri, who mar-
ried Hilda Bragg and has two children, Gladys and Charles; Edwin, who
died in 1908; Elmer, who is at home; Theodore, a farmer of Lincoln town-
ship, who married Edla Helstrom and has two children, Evelyn and Audrey;
Dell, who is at home, and Emma, who is living at St. Joseph, Missouri.
The Olsons are members of the Swedish Lutheran church and Mr. Olson
has served as deacon of the same for the past thirty years. He is a Repub-
lican and takes a warm interest in political affairs, but has not been a seeker
after public office.



JAMES G. STRONG.



The great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch was William
Strong, born on the eastern shore, Maryland, January 8, 1783; he moved
to Jefferson county, Oliio, where Samuel S. Strong was born, November
3, 1807. The family then again removed to Liberty, Indiana, where, on
April 12, 1832, the son. Samuel S. Strong, married Temperance Crist, a
daughter of George W. Crist, who was born near Albany, New York, in
1770, of German parentage. In 1834 this young couple moved to Lebanon,




JAMES G. STRONG.



'iiSJ.lC IS



■i



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 945

Indiana, where the father of the subject, James G. Strong, Sr., was born
on March 4, 1836. After receiving his primary education in the common
schools, he attended the .State University at Bloomington, Indiana, and then
the Law School of Cincinnati, wdiere he graduated in the class of 1859.
He was married on April 25th of the same year to -Rebecca M. Witt at
Lebanon, Indiana, whose people had been pioneers from Kentucky and
North Carolina. Her father, Michael Witt, was a brother of Mary Witt,
the mother of Joaquin Miller, and her grandfather W^all was an own cousin
of Daniel Boone. Their wedding trip was a wagon journey of two hun-
dred miles in company with the large family of Samuel S. Strong to Liv-
ingston county, Illinois. James G. Strong, Sr., taught school and prac-
ticed law at Dwight, Illinois, and later engaged in the grain and banking
business. He was one of the incorporators of the Plymouth, Kankakee &
Pacific railroad, on which nearly four hundred thousand dollars was
expended, and was a director and its secretary and treasurer. He was
also a large bond and stockholder in the Kankakee River Improvement
Company. In 1870 he was elected to the Twenty-seventh General
Assembly of Illinois, where he introduced the first bill ever presented to
the Legislature of that state for the appointment of a board of railroad
commissioners. In 1872 he was elected to the State Senate, serving as
chairman on the printing committee and introducing bills which saved the
state over one hundred and thirty thousand dollars. . Business losses caused
him to enter the government Indian service in South Dakota through the
influence of Gen. John A. Logan, and three years were so spent at Yankon
Agency. Locating at St. Marys, Kansas, in 1882, he again engaged in the
grain and milling business and in 1891 moved to Blue Rapids, Kansas, and
engaged first in the milling business and later entered into the practice of
law with his son. He died at Blue Rapids, September 4, 1895; his wife
survived him until August 4, 1914, and is buried beside him at Blue Rapids,
Kansas. They have three living children : Emma Temperance, now the
wife of Frank B. Chester, the owner of a seven hundred and twenty-six-
acre farm four miles south of Valparaiso, Indiana; Ella May, now the wife
of Z. T. Trumbo, of Pontiac, Illinois, where he is assistant superintendent
and chief clerk of the Illinois State Reformatory, the second largest institu-
tion of the kind in this country ; and James George, the subject.

James G. Strong was born at Dwight, Livingston county, Illinois, on
(60)



946 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

April J,^. 1N70. He rcccixcd his cunmion school education in llie local
schools of Dwight and TUor.mington, Illinois, and St. Marys. Kansas; he
then attended Baker University, took a correspondence school oi law and
studied under his father and was admitted to the bar in Marshall c(junty,
Kansas, and in 1895 entered into ])artnership with his father in the practice
of law at Blue Rapids, Kansas, where he has attained success both as a law-
yer and a business man.

As a lawyer, Mr. Strong served his city as its attorney for fifteen
years without losing- it a case; was assistant attorney general for Marshall
county two years and closed up and kept closed the "joints" which had been
engaged in the sale of liquor. He was elected without opposition as county
attorney in 191 6, which position he now fills with credit to himself and
satisfaction to the people. He stands high in his profession and has won
his success by ability and work.

As a business man, Mr. Strong lias been unusually successful. Starting
without means of any kind after the death of his father, when he was
twentv-five. and receiving no gifts In^ inheritance or otherwise, he worked
his way to success in the business world. He organized the Blue Rapids
Telephone Company in 1S94. became its president three years afterward,
built it up to its position as one of the best equip])ed and conducted exchanges
in the country and is still its president. In 191 3 he organized the Marshall
County Power and Light Company and began the rebuilding oi the splendid
water-power which had long been the pride of Blue Rapids, but which no
one had been able to make either pemianent or profitable. He was able
to secure capital and gather around him able associates and, despite many
obstacles and local prejudice is fast building a network of transmission
lines from a magnificent hydro-electric plant to all adjoining cities, now
furnishing electric current for light, heating and power to the cities of
Blue Rapids, Marysyille, Waterville and Irving, besides furnishing power
to two large plaster mills. Over one hundred thousand dollars has been
spent upon the proposition. Mr. Strong is the only resident stockholder
and is at present a director and the secretary and manager.

Aside from his work as a lawyer and business man Mr. Strong has
found time to ser\-e six vears upon the board of education ; he takes a lead-
ing \)nvt in the Commercial Club, the Chautauc|ua, the county fair and all
matters pertaining to the business and educational life of the community. He
has led in the work for good roads, was vice-president of his congressional



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 947

district of the State Automobile Association and is president of the Blue
Valley Highway and director of the Kansas White Way Highway.

Mr. Strong has always been a loyal Republican and served fifteen
years on the county committee; he was elected to the national convention
of 1912 for Roosevelt, but did not leave the party; was in the state "har-
mony convention'' in 19 14 and a member of the committee which wrote
the resolutions which were adopted and helped unite the party. He has
assisted in many speaking campaigns and is an ardent admirer of the
"old soldier," being generally their choice speaker on Decoration Day.

On December 18, 1894, James G. Strong was united in marriage to
Frances E. Coon, of Blue Rapids, and a daughter of Emir J. Coon, deceased,
and the granddaughter of Judge John V. Coon. The latter was one of the
organizers of the city of Blue Rapids. He was born at Phelps, New York,
March 30. 1822, where, in the year 1842, he was united in marriage to
Charlotte M. Miller. Moving to Elyria, Ohio, after his graduation as a
lawyer, he won prominence and success in his profession, and there his only
son. Emir J. Coon, was born. After service in an Ohio regiment in the
Civil War, the son united in marriage with Elizabeth Boynton, a member of
the prominent Boynton family. In 1870 Judge Coon assisted in the organ-
ization of the town colony composed of well-to-do people from Genesee,
New York, and Elyria, Ohio, who located at the "Rapids of the Blue River"
and incorporated and platted the city of Blue Rapids. They built the splen-
did stone dam at the head of the rapids at a cost of thirty thousand dollars
W'hich still stands as a monument to the quality of their work. Judge Coon
divided his time between Blue Rapids and Elyria until 1876, when, together
with his son and their families, they took up their permanent residence in
Blue Rapids, w'here he soon became the leading lawyer and was recognized
as one of the ablest real estate lawyers in northern Kansas. He recognized
the value of the gypsum deposits found near Blue Rapids and, with his son,
built the first plaster mill, and thus began the industry which has made the
town renowned for its high grade wall, molding and dental plasters. At
the time of his death, January 3, 1895, he was mayor of the city and county
attorney-elect. His widow was born in 1821 and is living today with the
subject of this sketch, being the oldest resident in Marshall county.

To James G. and Frances E. Strong have been born two children,
George Eugene Strong, born November 30, 1895, who graduated from the
Blue Rapids high school in 191 3. He then attended the State University



948 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

at Lawrence for three years and graduated from the University of Chicago
on June t2. 1017. with the degree of Ph. B. He is now deputy county
attorney fur liis fatlicr in the county attorney's office at Marysville. Kansas.
Erma Ehzaheth Stntng was born. August 30, 1898. and will graduate from
the Blue Rapids In'gh m'IiooI with the class of 1919. In a beautiful home,
the life of this fann'ly is a most ideal one and, with the grandmother and
great-grandmother, comprises four generations.

Mr. and Airs. Strong are members of the Episcopal church. Mr.
Strong is a member of the Odd Eellows lodge at Blue Rapids; the Knights
of Pythias at Frank, Kansas, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks at Manhattan, Kansas, as well as the Modern W^oodman and the Sons
of Veterans.



CHRISTL'\N BERGMANN.

Christian Bergmann, one of Lincoln township's best-know^n citizens
and an honored veteran. of the Civil War, a well-to-do farmer, now living
practically retired from the active labors of the farm on his well-kept place
in Lincoln township, is a native of Germany, but has been a resident of this
country since he was twenty-five years of age and of Kansas since 1877,
being therefore very properly regarded as one of the pioneers of this
section. He was born at Riemendorff, Germany, March 2, 1835, son of
Christian Gottlieb and Johanna Christiana (Schneider) Bergmann, natives
of that same country, who emigrated to America in i860, entering the
United States by way of Quebec. The family left Riemendorff on May 10,
i860, and sailed from Hamburg on the 19th of that same month, arriving
at Quebec on July 2. From that city they proceeded to Milwaukee, Wis-
consin, where they established their home.

Christian Bergmann was twenty-five years of age when he came to
this country and upon arriving at Milwaukee he secured employment as a
laborer. He was living there when the Civil War broke out and upon the
President's first call for volunteers to suppress the rebellion of the Southern
■states he and his two brothers, Ernest and Ehren fried Bergmann, enlisted
their services in behalf of their adopted country and went to the front as
members of Company E., Third Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry,
with which command Christian Bergmann served for three years and three



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 949

months, seeing some of the most active service of the war. His brother,
Ernest Wilhelm Bergman, was killed at the battle of Brandy's Station, Mary-
land, and Ehrenfried Bergmann was killed at the battle of Antietam. In
this latter battle, September 17, 1862, Christian Bergmann received a severe
bullet wound in the left leg. At the battle of Chancelorsville, May 3, 1863,
he received another bullet wound in that same leg. In referring to the coinci-
dence of being shot twice in the same member, Mr. Bergmann is wont to
declare that the "Rebs" were trying to shoot his left leg off, but didn't have
powder enough. Besides the important battles just mentioned, Mr. Berg-
mann participated in the battle of Winchester, the battle of Cedar Mountain
and numerous minor battles and skirmishes, his regiment often being in
the very thick of things. His war experience gave him an intensely patriotic
regard for his adopted country, a regard that has only grown stronger with
the passing years and he says he has reared five sons for Uncle Sam's army
if the country should ever need their services.

Upon the completion of his military service Mr. Bergmann returned to
Milwaukee and in the fall of 1865 was married. He remained in Wisconsin
until 1869, when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Pawnee county, where
he farmed until 1877, when he moved down into Kansas and rented a farm
on the western edge of Center township, in the neighboring county of Nemaha,
where he established his home and where he remained for twenty years,
at the end of which time, in 1897, ^^^ moved across the road from that
place and bought his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Mar-
shall county, where he since has made his home and where he and his
family are very comfortably situated. Upon taking possession of this lat-
ter place, Mr. Bergmann was confronted with the task of developing it from
its raw prairie state, but that task has been performed most effectively and
he now has a well-improved and profitably cultivated farm on which he is
living in comfort, now practically retired from the active labors of the
farm, although he continues to give the same his careful oversight. He has
a neat home and well-kept grounds and takes much pleasure in the same.

On October 26, 1865, in Dodge county, Wisconsin, Christian Bergmann
was united in marriage to Augusta Krause, who also was born in Germany,
in February, 1847. O^ the children born to this union eight
are still living, namely: William Frederick Christian, the owner of
a iarm adjoining that of his father on the north: Matilda, wife
of John Daniels, a farmer, living one and one-half miles northeast of
Vermillion; Emma Henrietta Louise Sophia, wife of Harvey Bishop, living
near Vermillion; Henry, a farmer, of Lincoln township; Albert Conrad.



950 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

who is farming in Cleveland township; Edward Wilh'am, of Axtell, who
owns a farm in Murray township; George Gustave, also a Murray town-
ship farmer, and Bertha, who is at home with her parents. The Bergmanns
are members of the Lutheran church and take a proper part in church work.
Mr. Bergmann is a Republican and has ever given a good citizen's attention
to political affairs, but has not been a seeker after public office.



WILLIAM JOHNSON.



William Johnson, first trustee of Lincoln township and the proprietor
of a well-improved and profitably operated farm of two hundred and forty-
one acres in that township, is a native of the kingdom of Sweden, but has
been a resident of this country and of Marshall county since he was twenty-
one years of age. He was born on March 28, 1863, son of Par and Mary
Johnson, also natives of Sweden, who spent all their lives in their native
land.

Reared on a farm in his native land, William Johnson remained there
until he was twenty-one years of age, when, in 1884, he came to this country
and proceeded on out to Kansas, arriving at Frankfort, this county, on April
3 of that year. Upon his arrival here he secured employment at farm labor
in Rock township and was thus engaged there for two years, receiving from
fifteen dollars to twenty dollars a month for his labor. In 1888 he married
and for two years thereafter rented a farm in Rock township, later rent-
ing a farm in Noble township, where he lived a year, at the end of which
time he bought a farm of eighty acres one mile east of his present farm.
He later moved to a farm in section 16 of Murray township and after two
years of residence there bought a farm in Rock township, where he made
his home for five years, or until 1897, when he bought the farm on which
he is now living and where he ever since has made his home, he and his
family being very comfortably situated there. In addition to his general
farming Mr. Johnson has given considerable attention to the raising of graded
live stock, making a specialty of Shorthorn cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs.
He has made excellent improvements on his place and has one of the best-
kept farms in that part of the county. Mr. Johnson is a Republican and
has for years taken an active part in local civic affairs. He was trustee
of Noble township for one year and when Lincoln township was organ-
ized was elected trustee of that township and was re-elected for three terms



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 95 I

without Opposition, his term of service expiring on January i, 1916. Mr.
Johnson also has been a member of the school board for twelve years and
in other ways has done his part in advancing the interests of the commun-
ity in which he lives.

In 1888, four years after coming to this country, William Johnson was
united in marriage to Ida Johnson, who also was born in Sweden and who
had come to this country in 1886, and to this union seven children have
been born, namely: Clara, born in 1889, who married John Olson and is
now living at Seattle, Washington; Thorsten, 1890; Albert, 1892; Esther,
1894; Florence, 1898; Leonard. 1902, and Ebba, 1903. Mr. and Mrs.
Johnson are members of the Swedish Lutheran church and for years have
taken an active part in church work and in other neighborhood good works.



RUDOLPH YAUSSI.



Rudolph Yaussi, one of the well-known and successful farmers of Wal-
nut township, Marshall county, was born in Switzerland on Eebruary 15,
185 1, the son of Christian and Elizabeth (Begert) Yaussi, the former of
whom died in Switzerland and the latter spent her last years in Marysville,
Marshall county.

Christian Yaussi followed the butcher business in Berne until his death
in 1863. Five years after his death the mother with her six children came
to the United States locating near Hiawatha, Brown county, Kansas, on
a farm, where she resided for many years, coming to Marysville, Kansas,



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 94 of 104)