Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 95 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 95 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


where some of her children resided, in her later years, and where she died
at the age of eighty-five, loved and respected by all who knew her. for her
kind and hospitable disposition and true Christian spirit.

Christian and Elizabeth Yaussi were the parents of seven children as
follow: Rosa, Fred J.. Elizabeth, Rudolph, Gottlieb, Frank and Mary.
Rosa, now deceased, was the wife of John Detwiler; Fred J. is deceased;
Elizabeth, the wife of Gottlieb Buehler, died in S.witzerland ; Gottlieb is a
prosperous farmer in Brown county, Kansas; Frank is a well-known merch-
ant in Marysville, and Mary is the wife of John Aegerter, of Garber, Okla-
homa, and Rudolph is the subject of this sketch.

Rudolph Yaussi was educated in the schools of Switzerland and at the
age of seventeen he came to the United States vv'ith his mother and the rest
of her family and located in Brown county, Kansas. After this young



952 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Rudolph worked as a farm hand in Kansas and Missouri for some years;
rented and worked a farm in Missouri one year. He then returned to Brown
county. Kansas, where he acquired eighty acres of land, which he farmed
for a few years; he then sold out and moved overland to Smith county,
Kansas, where he traded a good team of mules for a relinquishment on a
one hundred and sixty acre homestead of raw land. Here he made his home
in a "dugout" in true pioneer style, suffered untold agony with rheumatism
for months, but stayed with it and his tireless energy won for him a fair
return for his work. After six years he sold his place in Smith county and
came to Mary svi lie. where he purchased two hundred and forty acres four
miles west of town, on which he resided about fifteen years. He sold this
place to two of his sons and bought a two-hundred-acre farm nearer Marys-
ville. where he now resides, and which he has made one of the best in the
county, both as a live stock and grain farm.

In 1876 Rudolph Yaussi was united in marriage to Mary Aegerter, and
to them were born ten children : Rosie. John, Emma, William, Mary, Frank,
Lida, Rudolph, Edward and Sophia.

In 1896 Mary (Aegerter) Yaussi died in Marysville. Kansas. Some
years later Rudolph Yaussi was married to Mary (Studach) Goepfert. a
native of Switzerland, and to them was born one child, a daughter, Zella,
now attending the high school at Marysville.

Mr. and Mrs. Yaussi are consistent adherents of the Evangelical church.
Mr. Yaussi is also a member of the Swiss and Turner societies of Marys-
ville.



JAMES L. FLANAGAN.



James L. Flanagan, one of the younger and most successful farmers
and stockmen of Richland township, Marshall county, was born in McLean
countv, Illinois, on August 22, 1881. being the son of James and Catherine
(Dunn) Flanagan.

James Flanagan wag born at Hamilton. Butler county, Ohio, on Febru-
ary 25, 1852, where he resided until he was seven years of age, when with
his parents, Martin and Julia (O'Connell) Flanagan he came to the state
of Illinois. The parents established their home near Chenoa, and it was
here that the son, James, received his education in the local schools, grew
to manhood and was married. Martin and Julia Flanagan were natives of
Ireland and came to the United States in 1848, and were married in this



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 953

country two years later. They were the parents of nine children and were
a highly respected people.

In 1876 James Flanagan was united in marriage to Catherine Dunn, who
\vas born on September i6, 1855. and was the first white child born in
Chenoa township, McLean county, Illinois. She is the daughter of Patrick
and Mary (Murray) Dunn. They were natives of Ireland, and after com-
ing to the United States, located in Ohio and then in Illinois, after which they
established their home in the Dakotas, about 1853. Some nine years after
their marriage, in 1885, James and Catherine Flanagan left their home in
Illinois and came to Kansas and settled on their present farm in section 17,
Richland township, Marshall county. The tract at that time was unde-
veloped and unimproved. A house, eighteen by twenty-six feet was erected,
and divided into three rooms, and in this the family lived for a number of
years. A small stable was built and the land was broken, with three mules
that they had brought with them from their home in Illinois. They also
brought hedge plants, box-elder seeds and sprigs of cotton wood. These they
planted, and today the magnificent trees are evidence of the careful thought of
those early pioneers. As they began to prosper, Mr. and Mrs. Flanagan
purchased more land, and at the time of the death of Mr. Flanagan on Janu-
ary 10, 1 9 10, they were the owners of nine hundred and sixty acres of splendid
land, all of which was well improved.

To James and Catherine Flanagan were born the following children :
Julia, John, James L., Mary, Martin, Nellie, William and Catherine. Mr.
and Mrs. Flanagan were devout members of the Catholic church and were
ever active in all the services of the church. Three of their daughters are
sisters in parochial schools ; Julia is a teacher at the convent at Clyde, Kan-
sas; Mary is at Monett, Missouri, and Nellie is at Concordia, Kansas. John
died when he was twenty-one years of age and Martin is the manager of
the elevator at Summerfield, and William and Catherine are at home. Mr.
and Mrs. Flanagan were ever held in the highest regard by the people of
their home community. Mr. Flanagan was a most patriotic citizen and a
man of high ideals, and was recognized as a progressive farmer and suc-
cessful stockman. He always took a keen interest in local affairs and had
much to do with the growth and prosperity of the township and of the
county. He was an independent voter and for two terms he served the
township as trustee. His life was a worthy one; he was a kind and indulgent
husband and father, and a generous neighbor and friend. His death was
mourned by the entire community, for all knew that a good man had gone



954 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

to his reward. Mrs. Flanagan is still living at the old home and takes mueh
interest in the management of the place.

James L. Flanagan was but tliree years of age when he came with his
parents to the farm in Marshall county. Here he was educated in the local
schools and in ]\Iarysville Normal, and was reared on the home farm,
where he now lives and where he as a lad and young man assisted his
father with the farm work. He is now operating the place for his mother
and is meeting with much success in general farming and stock raising.
He is the owner of shares in the Elevator Company at Summerfield and
is one of the substantial men of the township. He is a devout member of
the Catholic church. He is a member of the Democratic party and takes
much interest in local affairs.



LEWIS MILTON STEVENSON.

Lewis Milton Stevenson, one of Murray township's most substantial
and progressive farmers and the proprietor of a fine farm of one hundred
and sixty acres one and one-half miles west of Axtell, has been a resident of
Kansas since 1882, in which year he came down here from Nebraska, after
having resided in that state a couple of years after a long residence in the
state of Iowa. Mr. Stevenson is a native of the state of Illinois. He was
born on a farm in Knox county, that state, November 7, 1846, son of Edward
and Mary (Keys) Stevenson, the former of wdiom was born at Baltimore,
Maryland, and the latter at Dover, Delaware, both representatives of old
American families, whose last days were spent in Illinois.

Edward Stevenson was born in 1807, the son of Zachariah Stevenson,
who was a soldier in the War of 1812. He married in the East and in the
early forties emigrated to Illinois, settling on a quarter of a section of land
in Knox, county, one of the pioneers of that part of the state, and there he
and his wife spent the remainder of their lives. She died in 1865 and he
survived her for nearly twenty years, his death occurring in 1884. They were
the parents of six children, of whom but two survive, the subject of this
sketch having a brother, James Stevenson, who is living in Missouri.

Lewis M. Stevenson was reared on the paternal farm in Knox county,
Illinois, growing up familiar with pioneer conditions, and received his edu-
cation in a little old district school house built of slabs and from boyhood
made a "hand" on the farm. He was nineteen years of age when his



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 955

mother died and after that he began shifting for himself, presently, in 1866,
going to Iowa, where he began working as a farm hand at eighteen dollars
a month, working with a hoe from sunup to sundown. Four years later he
married in Iowa and began farming on his own account on a rented farm.
Three years later he bought a farm in Shelby county, that state, a tract of
railroad land it was, borrowing the money from the county treasurer with
which to pay the same, and from the very beginning was successful in his
farming operations, soon coming to have one of the best-improved farms
•in Shelby county. There he lived until 1880, when he sold his farm to
advantage and moved to Beatrice, Nebraska. After traveling around a bit,
Mr. Stevenson decided to again engage in farming and in 1882 came to
Marshall county and bought a quarter of a section of land in Richland town-
ship, seven miles northwest of Beattie. He developed that place into a
splendid farm and in October, 1907, sold the same. The next month he
bought a quarter section in Murray township, just west of Axtell, built a
fine house on the same and in March, 1908, established his home there and
has ever since made that his place of residence, he and his family being
very pleasantly and very comfortably situated. Mr. Stevenson has made
other valuable improvements on his place and has one of the best-equipped
farm plants in that part of the county. He gives considerable attention
to the raising of pure-bred Duroc-Jersey hogs, in addition to his general
farming, and has done very well, long having been regarded as one of
Marshall county's most substantial farmers.

In 1870, in Iowa, Lewis M. Stevenson was united in marriage to Mary
Minerva Easterly, who was born on a pioneer farm in Jones county, Iowa,
in 1853, daughter of Jonathan and Sarah Jane (McConkey) Easterly, natives
of the state of Ohio, who moved to Iowa in 1851 and there established
their home. Jonathan Easterly and wife were the parents of ten children,
eight of whom are still living. Of these surviving children Mrs. Steven-
son is the eldest, the others being as follow : Margaret Ellen, who mar-
ried Danville Tarbox, of Jones county, Iowa; John L., a resident of Charles
City, Iowa; Mrs. Flora Clementine Simmons, of Jones county, Iowa; Mrs.
Jennie Moe, of Animosa, Iowa; Elmer Ellsworth, of Seattle, Washington;
U. S. Grant, of Olin, Iowa, and Mrs. Ada Belle Harper, of Saskatchewan,
Canada.

To Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson twelve children have been born, namely :
Lemuel Lester, who taught school for one year and then turned his atten-
tion to photography and is now conducting a photograph studio at Emporia,
this state; Jonathan Lewis, who was graduated from the Kansas State



956 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Normal School at Emporia, taught school several years and is now the owner
of a farm in the neighborhood of Plymouth, this state; Elnora Jane, who
completed her schooling at the State Normal School at Emporia and at
Campbell College, Holton, and is now a member of the excellent corps of
Marshall county's public school teachers : May, a graduate of Kansas State
Normal, taught for nine years in the schools at Hoxie and for two years
in Arizona and is now the wife of J. M. Hall, of Hoxie; Mary Ethzelda,
also a former public-school teacher, who is now conducting a dressmaking
establishment at Denver; Arthur G., also a teacher, who is farming in the*
neighborhood of Holton; Bertha, also formerly a teacher, who married
Arthur Jones, a farmer, living north of Beattie ; Mrs. Clementine Wanklyn,
also a former teacher, who is now living six miles south of Beattie ; Nellie
Pearl, who is now teaching school in Colorado ; Chalmers, who also formerly
taught school, but is now employed as a machinist at Hoxie ; Olin, a machin-
ist at Manhattan, and Clayton, who is at home assisting in the management
of the home farm. Perhaps no other family in Marshall county has con-
tributed so many persons to the public-school teaching force as has the
Stevenson family and the members of the same have ever been actively
concerned in the social and cultural development of the county and of the
Axtell neighborhood in particular, helpful in promoting all movements having
to do with the advancement of the common welfare thereabout.



JOSEPH DWERLKOTTE.

Joseph Dwerlkotte, cashier of the Citizens' State Bank of Marysville,
Kansas, and a landowner in Marshall county, is a native of Germany, but
has been a resident of this county since the days of his boyhood. He was
born and reared on his father's estate near the village of Dinklage, Grand-
Duchy of Oldenburg, April loth, 1874, the seventh son of Clemens and
Bernadina Dwerlkotte.

Reared on the farm, Joseph Dwerlkotte received his elementary train-
ing in the common schools and afterwards took a three years course in a
normal and agricultural college. At eighteen years of age he made up his
mind to come to this country, and took passage at Bremen on February 12th,
1893, and arrived in the port of New York on February 26th. From there
he came west to Custer county, Nebraska, and worked on a farm near the
town of Oconto for eighteen months. In July, 1894, he came to Marshall



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 957

county, where he engaged in farming in Elm Creek township, near Marys-
ville, for about twelve years. In the year 1900 he was united in marriage
to Miss Johanna Minkenberg, also a native of Germany, lx)rn in the village
of Steinf eld-Oldenburg, in 1879. Mr. Dwerlkotte was a very successful
farmer and upon the organization of the Citizens' State Bank of Marysville
in 1907, he entered that institution as assistant cashier and moved to Marys-
ville, where he has since resided. Upon the resignation of Mr. Laughlin as
cashier in 19 13, Mr. Dwerlkotte was chosen as his successor,- which position
he still occupies.

To Mr. and Mrs. Dwerlkotte four children have been born, Edith, Leo,
Ludowiena and Joseph, all of whom are living excepting the last named.
Mr. Dwerlkotte is a Republican in political affairs. Religiously, he is affil-
iated with the Catholic church, and fraternally with the Knights of Colum-
bus and the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association. At the present time he
holds office as grand knight of Marysville Council No. 1777.



CORWIN BALLARD.



Corwin Ballard, trustee of Bigelow township, a former well-known
school teacher in this county and the proprietor of a well-kept farm of eighty
acres in Bigelow township, is a native of the neighboring state of Nebraska,
but has been a resident of Marshall county since he was ten years of age.
He was born on a farm in Richardson county, Nebraska, April 6, 1871, son
of Jesse and Martha (Huntsinger) Ballard, the former a native of the
Hoosier state and the latter of the Buckeye state, who spent their last days
in this county, substantial residents of Franklin township.

Jesse Ballard, who was an honored veteran of the Civil War, was born
in Carroll county, Indiana, June 23, 1843, ^ son of Jermaine and Mary Ann
(Baum) Ballard, natives of Indiana, who came west and settled in Rich-
ardson county, Nebraska, in i860. When the Civil War broke out Jesse
Ballard was eager to take his part in the defense of the Union and believing
his chances for getting to the front would be better for enlisting in Iowa,
went over into that state and enlisted in the Eourth Iowa Battery, with
which he served until mustered out at the close of the war, and during
which service he saw some very stirring action. The effects of constant
heavy gun fire so affected Mr. Ballard's hearing that he ever afterwards
suffered from an annoying deafness. Upon the completion of his military



958 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

service he returned to Nebraska and there married Martha Huntsinger, who
was born at Xenia, Ohio, October 9, 1848, a daughter of l^'Ji and Mary
(Harrison) Huntsinger, natives of Pennsylvania, who had settled in
Nebraska. After his marriage Mr. Ballard continued farming in Nebraska
until 1 88 1, when he came to Kansas and settled in Marshall county, buying
a quarter of a section of land in Franklin township, where he spent the rest
of his life, his death occurring in 1908. His wife had preceded him to the
grave about thirteen years, her death having occurred in 1895. They were
the parents of four children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the
first-born, the others being Libbie. deceased, and Otha and Leroy, who are
now living in Colorado.

As noted above, Corwin Ballard was about ten years of age when he
came to Marshall county with his parents in 1881. The course in the district
schools of Franklin township he supplemented by a course in the high school
at Marysville and then took a course in the State Normal School, after
which he entered Ottawa University and was there taking the classical course
when the death of his mother and sister in 1895 interrupted his studies. He
did not return to the university and in 1899 began teaching school in district
No. 36, in Oketo township, this county, where he taught for two years. He
then rendered further teaching service in the Bigelow schools and in the
school in district No. 65 and in 1904 began farming on his own account.
For two years he farmed a rented place and then bought his present farm
of eighty acres in section 4 of Bigelow township, where, after his marriage
in 1909, he established his hbme and where he and his family are very pleas-
antly and very comfortably situated. Mr. Ballard lately has gone in some-
what extensively into the breeding of Holstein cattle and is doing very well.
His farm is well improved and his operations are carried on in accordance
with the principles of modern farming. Mr. Ballard is a Republican and
from the days of his youth has given his thoughtful attention to local civic
affairs. In 1914 he was elected trustee of Bigelow township and in 1916
was re-elected to that important office, now serving his second term and
giving to the duties of that office his most intelligent attention.

In 1909 Corwin Ballard was united in marriage to Daisy Walls, who
was born near what is now the village of Bigelow, in this county, January
18, 1 88 1, daughter of William H. and Rachel (Strange) Walls, the former
a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Virginia, who were married in
this county and are still living here, and to this union two children have been
born. Lulu R., born on January 23, 1910. and Eunice E., July 4, 191 1. Mr.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 959

and Mrs. Ballard are members of the Christian church and take a proper
interest in the various beneficences of the same, as well as in the general
social activities of the community in which they live.



REV. GUSTAF NYOUIST.

The Rev. Gustaf Nyquist, rector of the Swedish Lutheran (Salem)
church in Lincoln township, this county, and one of the most active and
influential men in that part of the county, is a native of the kingdom of
Sweden, but has been a resident of this country since he was twenty-four
years of age and of Kansas since completing his theological studies in
1900. He was born in Dalsland, near the line separating Sweden from
Norway, December 17, 1871, son of Alexander and Katharina (Larson)
Nyquist, also natives of Sweden, who spent all their lives in their native
land. Alexander Nyquist was a merchant tailor. To him and his wife
eight children were born, four of whom are still living, those besides the
subject of this sketch being Alfred, who came to the United States in 1893
and at Chicago worked at his trade as a tailor until 1899, when he returned
to his native land and is now continuing the business established there by
his father; Mrs. Laura Anderson, of Norway, and Mrs. Inga Kullgren, also
of Norway.

The Rev. Gustaf Nyquist i^eceived an excellent foundation for his
ministerial vocation in the schools of his native land and in 1896 came to
the United States and shortly afterward entered the divinity school of the
University of Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1900 and in that
same year was ordained to the ministry, being shortly afterward given
charge of a church at Topeka, this state. He later was transferred to
Omaha and also for some years, in addition to his ministerial labors, was
engaged in educational work. Li 191 1 Mr. Nyquist took a special course
in the Augustana Theological Seminary, Rock Island, Illinois, and was
given charge of the Swedish Lutheran Salem church in Lincoln township,
this county, and has since been engaged in the ministry, having done much
in that time to enlarge the scope of the local congregation's influence along
all lines ; the church having expanded toth materially and spiritually imder
his effective ministration. Salem church is well established and good work
is reported in all departments of the congregation's activities in the pros-
perous community thus covered. Both as a leader in the general community



960 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

life of that ncisjliborhood and as a faithful minister of the gospel, Mr.
Nyqiiist has given his most earnest and devoted attention to the various
needs of the community along- religious, social and cultural lines and has
done a good work, his efforts being appreciated greatly throughout that
entire section.

On December 30. 1903, the Rev. Gustaf Nyquist was united in mar-
riage to Louise Lofgren, who was born in Riley county, this state, May 5,
1883. daughter of Charles and Alida (Sellberg) Lofgren, natives of Sweden,
who settled in this state years ago, and to this union five children have been
born, namely: Joy, born on July 7, 1907: Harold, April 18, 1909; Lowell,
June 30, 1911; Noble, January 13, 1913; Earl. January 24, 1915, and
Floyd, April 11, 1917.



WILLL\M B. HUNT.



Genesee county. New York, recognized as one of the greatest agricul-
tural counties in the United States insofar as the richness of the county is
concerned, was the birthplace of William B. Hunt, one of the most prosper-
ous and progressive farmers of Blue Rapids township, Marshall county,
where he is the owner of four hundred acres of splendid land, which is im-
proved with the best and most modern of buildings. His birth occurred
on May 6, 1854, he being the son of James and Esther (Bond) Hunt.

James Hunt was born in Somersetshire, England, on February 4, 1826,
and was the son of Thomas and Jane Hunt. Thomas and Jane Hunt were .
also natives of that section of England, and there they received a limited
education in the public schools of those times, and there they grew to maturity
and were later married. They reared their family of children and they died
in that country many years ago, after a life of usefulness, highly respected
by the entire community. James Hunt received his education in the schools
of his native country, and there he was united in marriage, on May 15,
1852, to Esther Bond, who was born in Devonshire, England, on December
I, 1834, and was the daughter of Thomas and Annie Bond. After their
marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hunt continued to live in England until the spring
of 1853, when they decided that they would leave that country and seek
a home in America, where they believed their opportunities would be greatly
enhanced. On completing the ocean voyage, they landed at Quebec and then
proceeded to Genesee county. New York, where they established a home on
a farm. In that county they made their home until 1871, when they came




MItS. ELLA L. HUNT.





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^P^









i




1 i^^^^^^^B^


>






J


^^^^^^^H^Hr '.'', ''^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^K ^^^1


pi^^^^B


:^H


^^^^^^^^^^^Ie ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^r'''>v ]^|




^1






J




^JH


H



WILLIAM B. HUNT.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 96 1

to Kansas, and here purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land of the
railroad company in Bkie Rapids City township, Marshall county, at eight
dollars per acre. This farm he developed and improved and he became a
successful farmer and stockman, and one of the influential men of the county.
He and his wife were always held in the highest regard and esteem and
were among the active people of the social life of their home district.

To James and Esther Bond Hunt were born the following children :



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 95 of 104)