Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 97 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 97 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


CARL M. BELKNAP.



Carl M. Belknap, superintendent of the plant of the Electric Light and
Water Company at Marysville, county seat of Marshall county, was born
in that city and has lived there all his life, one of the best-known men in
the town. He was born on August 27, 1881, son of Sota and Gussie Bel-
knap, who settled at Marysville in 1878, and who were the parents of three
sons, of whom the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth,
the others being Curtis W. Belknap, deceased, and Clovis I. Belknap, .of
Chechalis, Washington. Hie mother of these sons died in 1886, Carl M.
Belknap then being but five years of age. Sota Belknap, the father, was
born in Minnesota in 1854, son of William B. Belknap.



JOHN LOFDAHL.

John Lofdahl, a well-known and substantial farmer of Lincoln township
and the owner of three hundred and sixty acres of excellent land in that town-
ship, now living practically retired from the active labors of the farm at his
pleasant home in section- 30, is a native of the Kingdom of Sweden, but has
been a resident of this country and of Marshall county since 1881. He was
born on May 18, 185 1, son of Lofs and Hannah Lofdahl, also natives of
Sweden, who came to this country with their family in 1881 and after a brief
stop with kinsfolk at Rockford, Illinois, came on over to Kansas and settled



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 97I

in Marshall county, where both died in the fall of 1884. Lofs Lofdahl and
wife were the parents of seven children, of whom the subject. of this sketch
was the fifth in order of birth, the others being as follow: Sarah, a resident
of Lincoln township, this county; Xels. a resident of Rockford, Illinois; Aug-
ust, who died at Rockford in 1882; Albert, who formerly owned the farm on
which the subject of this sketch now makes his home and who died there in
1897; Mrs. Christina Elberg, of Rockford, Illinois, and Mrs. Sophia Young-
sten.

Reared on a farm in his native Sweden, John Lofdahl was well prepared
to take up farming upon his arrival in this country in 1881. He had married
in his native country three or four years before coming here and shortlv after
his arrival in Marshall county bought a farm in partnership with his father
and his brother, Albert, but in 1885 sold his interest in the same and for five
years thereafter rented a farm. In 1890 he bought a quarter of a section of
land in section 20 of Lincoln tonship, a place on v/hich he had been living for
a year, and proceeded further to develop and improve the same. When he took
possession of that place it had on it a small house and a shed of a l^arn, but
he made substantial improvements on the place and brought it up to a high
state of cultivation. In 1899 he bought the "eighty" in section 30 on which
he is now living, and in 1906 bought an additional tract r>i one hundred and
twenty acres in section 31 of that same township, now having, as above noted,
three hundred and sixty acres, all in Lincoln township, and all of which is
well improved. In July, 1916, Mr. Lofdahl retired from the active labors of
the farm and moved onto his "eighty" in section 30, where he has a very pleas-
ant home and where he and his family are quite comfortably situated. Mr.
Lofdahl is an independent voter and has given close attention to local civic
affairs since becoming a resident of Marshall county. For twelve years he
served as treasurer of his local school district.

In 1877, while living in his native land, John Lofdahl was united in mar-
riage to Charlotte Anderson, also a native of Sweden, born in 1854, and to
this union twelve children have been born, namely : Vilander, who is a farmer
in Lincoln township; Mrs. Bertha Christianson, now living in Burt county,
Nebraska ; Mrs. Efiie Johnson, of Vliets ; Martin, who is operating the farm
of his Aunt Sarah and a part of his father's land; Edith, who lives in Omaha;
William, who is farming his father's place in section 31; Friedolpf. who is
farming in Burt county. Nebraska ; Tekla, who is living in Kansas City ; Elmer
and Arvaid, who are farming their father's place in section 20, and Herbert
and Elvera. at home with their parents. The Lofdahls are members of the
Swedish Mission church and have ever taken a proper part in church work



972 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

and in other neighborhood good works, helpful in promoting all movements
designed to advance the common welfare. Mr. Lofdahl has prospered since
coming to this countr}^ and has long been looked upon as one of the sub-
stantial residents of the eastern part of the county.



JACOB A. BEVERIDGE, D. D. S.

Dr. Jacob A. Beveridge, a popular young dentist at Marysville, is a
native son of Marshall county and has lived here all his life. He was born
in the village of Home on August 15, 1890, son and only child of Jesse
and Rebecca (Logsdon) Beveridge, the latter of whom is still living. Jesse
Beveridge, whose father was an honored veteran of the Civil War, was
born on a farm in the vicinity of Springfield, the capital of the State of
Illinois, in March, 1867, and died at his home in this county in 1901. He
was a son of Jacob and Nancy (McNeil) Beveridge, the former of whom
was born in Ohio in 1830 and in that state grew to manhood, living there
when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted his services in behalf of the
Union and went to the front with an Ohio cavalry regiment, with which
command he served until the close of the war.



CHARLES B. JONES.



Charles B. Jones, one of the best-known and most substantial farmers
and stockmen of Bigelow township and the proprietor of a fine farm of
three hundred and forty acres lying in sections 8 and 16 of that township,
with his home and well-kept farm plant in the former section, is a native
son of Marshall county and has lived here all his life. He was born on a
pioneer farm in Wells township on April 22, 1873, son of James M. and
Louise A. (Jones) Jones, natives of Kentucky and pioneers of Marshall
county, and the latter of whom is still living here.

James M. Jones was born in Bath county, Kentucky, September 18,
1839, a son of Charles and Rebecca (Robins) Jones, also natives of the
Blue Grass state, the former of whom was of Virginia parentage, his par-
ents having moved over into what then was Kentucky county of the Old
Dominion before the days of the organization of that great western district



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 973

into a state. In Kentucky J. M. Jones grew to manhood and there in i860,
he married Louise A. Jones, who was born in that state on January 12,
1840, daughter of Joseph Jones and wife, the latter of whom was a Boyd,
also natives of Kentucky, where they spent all their lives. In 1865 J. M.
Jones and his wife came to Kansas and settled in Marshall county, driving
over from Atchison, their first destination having been the John D. Wells
farm. In that neighborhood, in Wells township, Mr. Jones bought a quarter
of a section of land, erected a log cabin on the same and there established
his home. After breaking up his land he set out trees and later built a
better house. In 1875 he sold his farm and with his family moved to Cali-
fornia, a change of climate being sought for the benefit of his wife's health.
Returning to this county in the spring of 1876 he resumed his home in Wells
township and there rented land until 1883, when he bought the southeast
quarter- of section 8 in Bigelow township, the place where the subject of
this sketch is now living, and later added an adjoining "forty" to the place.
There Mr. Jones spent the rest of his life, a substantial farmer and stock-
man. He made excellent improvements on the place and always kept a
good herd of cattle, prospering in his operations. He took an active part
in local civic affairs and served as treasurer of Bigelow township for two
terms. His death occurred on August 16, 1900, and his widow is now
making her home with her son, Samuel Jones, a substantial farmer of Bige-
low township, and the only survivor, besides the subject of this sketch, of
the eight children born to his parents.

Charles B. Jones was the fourth in order of birth of the children born
to his parents, and he was reared on the farm, receiving his elementary
schooling in the district schools and supplementing the same by two terms
of study at the Ellenbecker Normal School at Marysville and a course in
Campbell University at Holton. In 1897, upon his return from the univer-
sity, Mr. Jones took charge of his father's farm and in 1901 bought eighty
acres of the old home place, continuing farming there with such success
that in 191 1 he bought an adjoining tract of two hundred and sixty acres
and now has a well-kept and profitably cultivated farm of three hundred
and forty acres, on which he is doing very well. He has made many and
valuable improvements to the place and is now very comfortably situated
there. Mr. Jones is a Republican and takes an earnest interest in local pol-
itical affairs, but has not been a seeker after public office.

On April 20, 19 10, Charles B. Jones was united in marriage to Mrs.
Nettie (Fen wick) Williams, daughter of William and Melissa (Boyd)
Fenwick and widow of James W. Williams, to whom she was married in



974 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

1895. that union having been without issue. To Air. and Airs. Jones one
child has been born, a son, who died in infancy. Air. and Airs. Jones have
a verv pleasant home and take a proper part in the general social activities
of the community in which they live. Air. Jones is a member of the local
lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of
Pythias at Irving, and in the affairs of those two popular organizations
takes a warm interest.



J. L. JUDD.



J. L. Judd, one of the real pioneers of Alarshall county and for many
years a well-known farmer and stockman of Bigelow township, now living
retired in the pleasant village of Irving, is an honored veteran of the Civil
War and a native of the state of Ohio, born in Lorain county, that state,
August 12, 1845, a son of Rasmus and Phoebe (Hall) Judd, New England-
ers. born in Litchfield, Connecticut, who became pioneers of Lorain county,
Ohio, and there spent their last days, substantial farming people. Of their
six children, but three are now living, the subject of this sketch having a
brother, Garwood H. Judd, who is a miner in Colorado. Mr. Judd was in
a heavy artillery regiment in 1863 and in 1865 he was in an infantry regi-
ment. He w^as discharged at Salisbury, North Carolina.

Reared on a pioneer farm in Ohio, J. L. Judd received his elementary
schooling in a little old log school house in the neightorhood of his horrie
and was living there wdien the Civil War broke out. In 1863, at Brighton,
Ohio, he enlisted for service in Company K, One Hundred and Fiftieth
Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and later w-as attached to the One Hun-
dred and Fiftieth Heavy Artillery, with which command he served until
mustered out at the close of the war. Upon the completion of his military
service. Air. Judd, in company with several of his army comrades, entered
college at Poughkeepsie, New York, and after a comprehensive course
there, in 1870, came to Kansas and w^alked over from Atchison to Alarshall
county. He presently bought a quarter of a section of land in Bigelow town-
ship, this county, paying for the same five dollars an acre, and then began
working as a farm hand, clerking in a store at Irving and doing such other
labor as his hands could find to do in order to earn the money with which
to complete the sale, building up his farm in the meantime as well as he
could. He built his dwelling house of stone quarried from his own land and



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 9/5

broke up his land with a double yoke of oxen. Indians still were quite
numerous here at that time and Mr. Judd recalls that they were great beg-
gars. His nearest market for grain was at Marysville and he had to haul
his wheat twenty miles on the old trails across the hills. As he prospered
in his farming operations, ]\Ir. Judd added to his original quarter section
until he became the owner of a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres
in section 17, which he still owns, besides a considerable tract of pasture
land in Pottawatomie county, where his son, G. H. Judd, is engaged in
cattle feeding.

Mr. Judd's wife, who was Lillian Twaddle, horn in Huron county,
Ohio, died in 1Q13, at the age of fifty-nine years. To Mr. and Mrs. Judd
six children were born, namely: Daisy, w^ho married J. Sheppard and is
living at Irving; Charles, of Grand Island, Nebraska; Garwood, w'ho is
at home ; Bessie, who died in her girlhood ; Guy, who also died in his youth,
and Laura, who married Owen Jones, and who died in March, 19 17. Mr.
Judd is a Democrat and has ever given a good citizen's attention to local
political affairs, but has never been a seeker after public office. He is a
member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic and has ever
taken an active interest in the affairs of that patriotic order.



RUDOLPH A. KAPITAN.

Rudolph A. Kapitan, former township trustee, a well-known farmer of
Bigelow township and proprietor, in partnership with his younger brother,
Wesley Kapitan, of a fine farm of one hundred and fifty-five acres in section
19 of that township, is a native son of Marshall county and has lived here
the greater part of his life. He was born in the village of Irving, in a
house which occupied the site now occupied there by the Knights of Pythias
hall. April 17, 1875, ^ -o^^ ^^ Wesley and Mary (Brozik) Kapitan, both
natives of the far-away kingdom of Bohemia and both of whom are now
deceased.

Wesley Kapitan was born in 1848 in the city of Prague, the capital of
Bohemia, and there received a college education. When he was twenty
years oit age he came to the United States and located in the city of Balti-
more, where he was married and where his eldest child was born; remaining
there until 1874, when he and his little family came to Kansas and located
at Irving, in this county, where he became for awhile engaged as a laborer



C)76 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

and wliere he remained until 1876, when he went down into the adjoining
coiintv of Rilev. homesteaded there a tract of eighty acres, estabhshed his
home there and there spent the remainder of his Hfe, his death occurring
in 1894. Wesley Kapitan was twice married. His first wife, Mary Brozik,
who was born in Bohemia in 1848. died in 1883. She was the mother of
six children, one of whom died in infancy, the others being as follow:
Olivia, who married F. Chalupnik and is now living near Irving, in this
county; Rudolph, the immediate subject of this biographical sketch; Wesley,
mentioned above as a partner in the farming operations of his brother,
Rudolph; Matthew, twin brother of Wesley, now living at Tenney, Minne-
sota, and Antonia, now deceased. After the death of the mother of these
children, the elder \\'esley Kapitan married Mrs. Verona Konigsmark, a
widow with four children, who is now living on her farm of one hundred
and sixty acres in Riley county.

Rudolph A. Kapitan early began to be self-supporting, beginning work
on neighboring farms when eight or nine years of age, and picked up such
schooling as he could get in the district schools. When twenty-one years of
age, in 1896, he began working as a butcher at Hanover, this state, and the
next year went to Nardin, Oklahoma, where he opened a butcher shop of
his own and was thus engaged there for four years or until his butcher shop
was destroyed bv fire, when he returned to his native county and opened a
butcher shop at Blue Rapids, where he was engaged in business until 1908,
when he and his brother, Wesley, bought their present farm of one hundred
and fifty-five acres in section 19 of Bigelow township, which they ever since
have been operating. Wesley Kapitan, who was born in Riley county on
August 14, 1877, is unniarried and makes his home with his brother, who,
after his marriage in 191 1, established his home on the farm. Since taking
possession of that farm the Kapitan brothers have made many improvements
on the same, including the extensive remodeling of the house along modern
lines, the building of a fine new barn and a double garage and other im-
provements in keeping with the character of the fine farm plant they have
established. The Kapitan brothers also are quite extensively engaged in
the raising of high-class live stock and are doing very well. The brothers
are Democrats and give close attention to local political affairs. Rudolph
A. Kapitan was appointed trustee of Bigelow township to fill out an unex-
pired term and in 19 12 was elected to that office and was re-elected in 19 14,
serving until his resignation, he having found that the proper discharge of
the duties of that office interfered too much with the constantly expanding
interests of his agricultural business.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 97/

On September 12, 191 1, Rudolph A. Kapitan was united in marriage
to Margaret Jones, who was born in the principaHty of Wales on April 7,
1884, and who was but two years of age when her parents, Harry O. and
Rose (Owens) Jones, also natives of Wales, came to this country in 1886
and settled in Kansas, both still living in Bigelow township, this county.
Mrs. Kapitan is the fourth in order of birth of the eig"ht children born to
her parents. To Mr. and Mrs. Kapitan two children have been born, Kelma,
born on December 2^. 1912, and Elwyn, January 5, 1914. The Kapitans
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take a proper part in
church work, as well as in the general social activities of the community in
which they live, helpful in promoting all movements having to do with the
advancement of the common welfare thereabout. Rudolph A. Kapitan is
a skilled musician, has played in several large bands and has taught bands.
He still takes much interest in musical affairs and has been a great help
along that line in the Bigelow and Irving communities.



EDWIN D. BROLYER.



Edwin D. Brolyer, the well-known plumbing and heating contractor at
Marysville and one of the leaders in that line throughout this part of Kan-
sas, is a native of the old Hoosier state, but has been a resident of Kansas
since he was eight years of age and of this county all the time since then,
with the exception of about a year spent as a bank clerk at Emporia and
the time he spent completing his scliooling in the state university. He was
born on a farm in Wabash county. Indiana. May 13. 1876. son of Henry
and Jennie (Hubbard) Brolyer, the former a native of Ohio and the latter
of Indiana, who came to this county in the early eighties and settled on a
farm north of Axtell, where Henry Brolyer spent his last days, his widow
later moving to Axtell, where she is now living.

Henry Brolyer was born on a farm in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, Feb-
ruary II, 1836, and was eleven years of age when his parents moved to
Indiana, where he grew to manhood on a farm in the vicinity of Wabash.
He married Jennie Hubbard, daughter of a farmer in the Peru neighbor-
hood, bought land in that vicinity and there continued farming until the _
fall of 1884, when he came to Kansas with his family, arriving in Marshall
countv on September 4 of that vear. Upon coming to this countv Henrv

■ (62)



978. MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Brolyer bought a farm of eighty acres three miles north of Axtell, paying
ten dollars an acre for the same, and there established his home. Henry
Brolyer was a good farmer and made substantial improvements on his farm.
There he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1902. His widow
is now living at Axtell, in the seventy-sixth year of her age, she having
been born in 1841. She is a member of the Christian church, as was her
husband, and their children were reared in that faith. There were eight of
these children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the sixth in order
of birth and all of whom are living save two.

As noted above, Edwin D. Brolyer was about eight years of age when
his parents came to Marshall county and he grew to manhood on the home
farm north of Axtell, receiving his elementary education in the district school
of that neighborhood. This schooling he supplemented by attendance at the
Kansas State Normal School during the years 1 897-1901, and then entered
the medical department of the Kansas State University at Lawrence, with a
view to fitting himself for the practice of medicine, but presently abandoned
that idea, preferring a life of trade rather than that of a profession, and
after eighteen months spent in the medical school accepted a position as a
clerk in a bank at Emporia and was thus engaged for eight months, at the
end of which time he returned to Marshall county and bought a general
store at Mina, which he successfully operated until 1904. He then traded
his store for a farm of two hundred and forty acres in Center township and
farmed the same from March, 1904, until December, 1905, when he sold
the place and moved to Marysville, where he entered upon his present line
of business and has since been very successfully engaged along that line.
During his school days, Mr. Brolyer "spelled out'' his vacations by working
at the plumbing trade and completed his apprenticeship at Wichita, becom-
ing a very proficient plumber and steam-fitter. He was thus well equipped
for the business when he established his plumbing shop at Marysville and it
was not long until he had built up a fine business covering this section of
Kansas and the adjacent sections of Nebraska, his contract work taking him
over a wide territory. Mr. Brolyer has equipped a number of large build-
ings with their heating plants, one of his most notable contracts having
been that in connection with the equipment of the Community House at
Marysville, and his reputation for excellent workmanship is now well estab-
lished. Mr. Brolyer is a Republican, ever giving his thoughtful attention
to local civic affairs, but has not been included in the office-seeking class.

On April 28, 1903, Edwin D. Brolyer was united in marriage to
Myrtle Grant, who was born in this county on May 2, 1881, daughter of



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 979

William H. and Lottvina Grant, natives of Illinois and early settlers in
Marshall county, locating near Vermillion, where Mr. Grant became a large
landowner. To Mr. and Mrs. Brolyer two children have been born, Ken-
neth, born on March 6, 1906, and Tressa, January 16, 1908. Mr. and Mrs.
Brol3^er are members of tlie Christian church and are active workers in the
same. They have a very pleasant home at Marysville and take a proper part
in the general social activities of their home town. Mr. Brolyer is a Mason
and a member of the Knights and Ladies of Security and takes a warm
interest in the affairs of these two organizations.



MILO M. RICE.



Milo M. Rice, one of the well-known and prominent residents of Cot-
tage Hill township, Marshall county, was born in the state of Pennsylvania
on November 17, 1864, and is the son of George I. and Kate (Rice) Rice,
both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania and members of old families
of the state. The first member of the Rice family to settle in Pennsylvania
was Zachariah, who was born in Germany and settled in the state in the
eighteenth century. He was the father of twenty-one children and his
grandchildren numbered one hundred and fifty-six. Members of the family
did good service in the Revolutionary War and in the War of 18 12, and
were prominent in the localities in which they lived.

George I. and Kate Rice received their education in the schools of their
native state and there grew to manhood and womanhood. The former was
born in 1841 and the latter in 1842, and they have spent their lives in the
state of their nativity and are now living on the old home farm. They are
the parents of nine children, three of whom came to Kansas : Anna Hirt,
whO' resides in Cottage Hill township, Marshall county, where her husband
is a farmer and influential man in the district ; Alberta Arganbright is also
a resident of Cottage Hill township, where Mr. Arganbright is engaged in
general farming and stock raising, and Milo M., the subject of this sketch.
The Rices have long been prominent in the social and religious life of the
state of Pennsylvania and are active in the work of the Lutheran church.

Milo M. Rice received his education in the public schools of Pennsyl-
vania and was reared on the home farm, where he lived until he was seven-
teen years of age when in 1883 he started in work for himself. He came
to Ohio that year, but remained there but tw^o months, when he came to



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 97 of 104)