Eng. (Lancashire). Parish Bury.

The registers of the parish church of Bury in the County of Lancasrter. Christenings, burials, & weddings (Volume 2) online

. (page 12 of 52)
Online LibraryEng. (Lancashire). Parish BuryThe registers of the parish church of Bury in the County of Lancasrter. Christenings, burials, & weddings (Volume 2) → online text (page 12 of 52)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his Will order"! Bibles to be given for the benefit of the poor. He
did honor to his Profession as a Clergyman and Christian. Esteem*!
■when liveing, in death lamented. He died compos^ on the 6th of
Deceml", 1775, in the 8 2d year of his age ; his wife Frances died
Decem''r 9th, 1749 ; Elizabeth Feb. 8th, 1765."



THE PARISH CHURCH. 119

I much regret that my limits will not permit me to give a more
elaborate descrijotion of some of the modern monuments and tablets
within the Church. To transfer in every instance from the marble
to the paper, the simple fact "that he died," would be neither in-
structive nor entertaining. I must be content with mentioning
a few ; there are others however I cannot pass over. Memorials of
those who in one sense may be said to live with us,

COULTHURST.

On the left side of the altar is a beautiful monument, executed
by Westmacott, and erected at the expense of the parishioners.
The workmanship is finely executed, a bust of the Dr. surmounts
the following epitaph, from the pen of the late Dr. Whitaker : —

AXD,

Henrico Wilhelmo Coulthurst, S. T. P.

Ab ingenua inter Cravenses stirpe oriundo

Ex scholari 'coll. divi Johannis Cantabrigiae Sidn, Sussexiensis socio :

Ibidemque juventute academica, qua domi instituenda qua

scholis in Jubilees regenda

Nomen inter equales baud vulgare consequito

Deinde per annos 27 hujus Ecclesiae vicario pervigili

Conscionibus, non hoc pro suggesta tantum verum etiam per

amplissimae parochiae saella

Assidue habitis, simplici ac flexanimo ;

In jure dicundo, citra omne supercilium,

Omnem prtejudicatse mentis propensionem acqui bonique arbitro :

In convictu jucundo, faceto, peraleganti,

Tamen up Ot KOAOMH'N semper intueretur,

Christi servus, lingua vita que atque intineo corde Domino

mancipatus,

Qui cibo licet interetum parco, vino percissimo

Apoplexi^ perculsus excitium vitae habuit, repentinum quidera

At sanctae, et tranquillae, coelum qui spiranti anim?e baud

intempesturim

1 1 die Dec- a. i>. 1817 annum actatis agens 65 in



120 THE PARISH CHURCH,

Quene vivum coluerunt, extinctum lugentes

Imaginem hanc, acre conlato,

PP

Halifaxiensis sui.

The following is a translation of the above ; —
(Christ. — " Alpha and Omega.")

Henry William Coulthurst, D. D., descended from an
ancient and respectable Family in Craven, formerly Scholar of St.
John's College, afterwards Fellow of Sidney Sussex College, Cam-
bridge. As Tutor in his College, as Moderator in the Public
Schools, he acquired among his contemporaries no common celebrity.
For 27 years he was a most vigilant Vicar of this Church. His
discourses (assiduously delivered not from this pulpit only, but in
the several Chapels of this extensive Parish,) were simple and
persuasive. As a Magistrate, he was the dispenser of equity and
justice, without superciliousness or prepossession. In social inter-
course, pleasant, facetious, elegant, yet ever with a view to edifica-
tion. As a servant to Christ, in words, in actions, in heart, devoted
to his Lord. Though temperate in diet, abstinent in wine, he was
removed by a stroke of apoplexy, sudden indeed, but to a soul holy,
tranquil and heaven-aspiring, not untimely, on the 11th day of
December, a. d. 1817, in the 65th year of his age. To him, revered
in life, in death lamented, his Halifax Parishioners raised by public
subscription this memorial.

KNIGHT.

Upon a neat marble monument in the chancel is the following
inscription.

To the Memory of

The Reverend Samuel Knight, M A.

formerly Fellow of

Magdalene College Cambridge ;

The first Incumbent of Trinity Church

in this Town,

And afterwards Vicar of this Parish.

He was a Man

Endowed with a vigorous and penetrating Mind ; .

and was intimately conversant with



THE PARISH CHURCH. 121

the various branches of science and literature,

but what things were gain to him

those he counted loss for Christ.

The Gospel was that in which alone he gloried ;

its precious truths he preached

With fidelity and affection

Its holy precepts he exemjDlified

in his Life and conduct ;

and

Its everlasting consolations he realized

in the solemn prospect of Eternity.

He departed this life January 7th, 1827,

in the 68th year of his Age,

and lies interred in this Chancel.

This monument is erected with feelings of

affectionate regard by his surviving Widow.

RAWSON.

In the South aisle is an elegant marble monument by West-
macott, with emblematical sculpture, erected to the memory of J.
M. Rawson, and bearing the following inscription.

To the memory of

John Markland Rawson,

Eldest son of John Rawson, of Ash Grove,

Who perished with 8 seamen, in Simon's Bay, Cape of Good Hope

by the swamping of the pinnance of H. M. S Owen Glendower,

on the 10th March, 1826,

In the 1 9th year of his age.

His afflicted parent dedicated this monument.

Near the above is also a beautiful Tablet with a basso-relievo of
the good Samaritan, by the same sculptor. The following is the
inscription.

Sacred to the memory of

William Rawson,

Who was born in this Parish, and died 25th Aug. 1828, aged 79,



122 THE PARISH CHURCH.

Earnestly endeavouring to follow the example of

his blessed Saviour,

" Who -went about doing good,"

He passed a long life in unwearied exertions

To promote the best interests of his fellow creatures ; and

in the conscientious discharge of every christian duty,

sought humbly the approbation of

his God.

Reader, " Go thou and do likewise."

SAYER.

On one of the pillars in the North aisle a monument affixed,
on which the following is inscribed :

Near this place are deposited the remains of Mary, the wife of
Thomas Sayer, of Halifax, gentleman, and co-heiress of William
Cockroft, of Mayroyd, Esq. She died the 12th of May, 1779.
aged 36 years. This monument is erected to her memory by an
aff'ectionate and afflicted husband, as a respectful token of his es-
teem for those virtues which adorned her heart and endeared her to
him, and to all who had the happiness of an acquaintance with her.
Ask not, pensive reader, a recital of those virtues which her humil-
ity wished to conceal ; this silent marble refers thee for information
to the cries and tears of the sick and needy, who lost in her a sym-
pathetic attendant on their distress, and a ^nerous reliever of their
wants ; and to the regret of that concourse of every age and rank,
who paid an honourable and voluntary tribute to her merit, by ac-
companying her remains to their interment. If her amiable example
excite thy imitation, forget not to adopt her noblest praise : by
fulfilling every duty of Nature and Society, from a principle of
affection and gratitude to God, the Friend, the Parent, the Redeemer
of mankind.

Thomas Sayer, Gent. Ob. 12 May, 1781. Aetat. 44.

CAYGILL.

On the right of the Altar is a handsome white marble monument,
on'which is executed, in basso-relievo, a representation of an angel
with wings expanded, raising a dying Christian from his couch, and
))ointing to heaven.



THE PARISH CHURCH.



123



Sacred to the Memory of

Jane

Relict of John Caygill, Esq. of Shay, Halifax,

And last remaining issue of William Sehvyn, Esq. formerly of

Down Hall, Essex,

who was lost to her afflicted family the 25th Day of July, 1806,

Aged 84 years.

Her heart was the favorite residence of all the gentle and peaceful

virtues :
warm affection, sincere piety, benevolence and humanity dwelt there,
In mental as well as bodily sufferings she was patient and resigned ;

To her numerous virtues, held in constant exercise

her relations and friends bear the most ample and sincere testimony,

and availing ourselves of her good example, may we endeavour

to tread

with religious cheerfulness her peaceful footsteps,

for they lead to everlasting happiness.

As a tribute of filial veneration and affection

her only immediate descendant. Lady Jane Ibbetson

caused this monument to be erected, A. D. 1807.

HULME.

On a plain tablet in the North East corner of llokeby's chapel, is
inscribed : —

Near this place, in the grave of the late Richard Taylor, Esq.
are deposited the remains of Joseph Hulme, M. D. who departed
this life on the 2nd day of February, 1806, aged 92 years. He
practised Physic in this town, with great success, about 63 years.
To his patients he was very attentive and humane ; to the poor,
benevolent and charitable. He was ready in lending pecuniary
assistance, to most who applied to him, but slow in calling in debts.
He was a man of few Avords, yet affable and pleasant with his friends.
From his medical abilities, his general knowledge, and gentle man-
ners, he was much respected by all who knew him. He was a rare
instance of temperance and sobriety, water being his common drink
from his youth, and for many years he never tasted animal food.
This strict regimen did not prevent his taking much exercise, and



124 THE PARISH CHURCH.

undergoing gi'eat fatigue : for he was almost daily on horse-back,
over the neighbouring hills, in every season and in all weather.
Though so far advanced in life, yet his hand continued steady, and
his judgment clear, so that he died not of old age, but of an acute
disease : and in the blessed hope that he should not dwell for
ever with corru2:)tion.

Also,
In the same grave, are deposited the remains of his beloved wife,
Bathsheba, a daughter of the above named Richard Taylor, Esq.
who departed this life on the 25th day of Feb. 1786, aged nearly
51 years.

CLAYTON.

In the Chancel, a plain but neat marble tablet, surmounted by
the family arms.

In memory of Ralph Clayton, Sergeant at Law, who was on
his way towards Malvern, for the recovery of his health, was pre-
vented by increase of illness from continuing his journey, and after
enduring the severest pain with Christian patience and resignation,
died in this town, on the 11th of October, 1S13, in the 55th year
of his age. He was an active and useful member of society, able
and learned in his profession, and justly esteemed and respected by
all who knew him.

ALEXANDER.

A plain unornamcntal marble tablet is erected in the family pew,
in the South Chapel, on which is inscribed the following miemorial.

Beneath this pew are deposited the mortal remains of Elizabeth,
wife of Lewis Alexander, of Hopwood Hall, Halifax, Esquire, who
died 18th January, 1832, aged 61 years. In pious commemoration
of a conjugal love and maternal tenderness, which time served but to
strengthen and death only could impair, — and with the Christian
hope of being again united, where all tears will be wiped away, and
where no second separation can be known, this Tablet is inscribed
by her afflicted husband and children.

WATERHOUSE.
There is affixed on the wall to the right of the communion, a



THE PARISH CHURCH. 125

monument to Nathaniel Waterhouse, Esq. on which are inscribed
the various gifts and charities, &c. of the deceased, but as they will
be found in a subsequent part of the work their repetition here may
be deemed unnecessary.

The Church is surrounded with a spacious burial ground, en-
closed by a stone wall and iron railing, it has latterly been con-
siderably improved ; its appearance is clean, and reflects a credit on
those to whose care it is more immediately entrusted. From the
hill that overlooks the town, it presents the appearance of a paved
yard. Few of the tomb stones are prior to the reformation, and
some of those of early date are in very good preservation.



TESTAMENTARY BURIALS AT HALIFAX.

FROM MR. TORr's MS.

July 12, 1402. John del Burgh, of Halifax, made his will, and
left his soul to God Almighty, St. Mary, and All Saints, and or-
dered his body to be buried in the Parish Church of Halifax.

Nov. 21, 1437, Henry Savyle, of Halifax, Esq. Soul and body
as above.

March 3, 1439 Richard Pek, of Southowram. Soul as above,
body in the quire of the Parish Church of Halifax.

April 20, 1459, John Sayvell, of Copley, Esq. Soul as above,
body in the church, or church- yard of Halifax.

June 1, 1481, Tho. Wilkinson, Vicar of Halifax, already men-
tioned.

April 4. 1482, William Marshall, Rector of Kirk-Sandal.—
Soul as above, body in Halifax Church.

Feb. 3, 1484, Richard Waterhouse, of Warley. Soul as above,
body in the Church or Church-yard of St. John Baptist. Halifax.

April 29, 1510, Henry Savile. of Copley. Soul as above, body
m the New Warke of Halifax



126 THE PARISH CHURCH.

Feb. lo, 1530, Tho. Savlle, of Bladeroyd, in Southowram —
Jan. .5, 1533, Thomas SavHe, of Copley, Esq.— 1533, John Water-
house, of Skircoat. — 1535, Edward W'Bterhouse, buried in the
Church-yard at Halifax. — 1538, Richard Waterhouse, of Shipden,
body to be buried in the Church of the holy prophet St. John Bap-
tist, of Halifax. — 1541, John lUingworth, of lUingworth. — 1543,
Edward Waterhouse, of Skircoat — 1543, William lUingworth, —
1545, Humphry Waterhouse, of Shelf Soul to God Almighty,
hoping through Jesus Christ to be saved. " Here Protestantism
began to shew itself, and mankind began to act more from principles
of reason, and common sense, than to bequeath their souls to the
Virgin Mary, and all the Saints, who are only in the same condition
that all living Saints will shortly be placed in, and who cannot help
if they are applied to."

1545, John Waterhouse, of Skircoat. — 1554, Henry Savile, of
Copley. — 1556, John Waterhouse, of Thollinges, in Warley. —
1556, Richard Midgley, of Midgley. — 1569, Thomas Savile, of
Copley — 1570, Hugh Lacey, of Brearley, in Midgley, Esq. —
1570, Thomas Savile, of Southouram, Gent. — 1578, Anthony
Waterhouse, of Warley, Gent. — 1586, Abraham Sunderland, of
High Sunderland, Gent.— 1620, Jolin Holdsworth, of Astey, Gent.



A LIST OF THE VICARS.

1. Ingolard ue Tdrbard was instituted the first vicar by the
prior and convent of Lewes, who continued to present every vicar
until the time of Dr. William Rokeby inclusive. This vicar's
presentation bears date 25th Jan. 1273; he was inducted May 3,
1274, and died May 28th, 1315.

2. John Aaron de Grydington, instituted 21st June, 1315 ;
death uncertain.

3. Thomas de Gaytington, instituted 5th June, 1321 ; died
Sept. 10, 1349.

4. John de Stamford, instituted Feb. 7, 1349 ; died October
29, 1362.



THE PARISH CHURCH. 127

One Richard de Ovendeii is stated by Mr. Watson to have
been vicar about this time, but no mention is made of him in any
authentic list, nor are his arms emblazoned on the roof of the
Church.

5. Richard de Heaton, instituted Nov. 3, 1362 ; died March
9, 1389. Mr. Watson states that he was of the family of Heatons
of Over Shibden, in Northovi^ram.

6. John Kynge, inducted March 13, 1389; died March 14th,
1438. Mr. Watson states that in his MS. List occurs Dominus
Thomas Eland, as vicar of Halifax, said to be instituted May 20,
1438, but he is not noticed either in Wright, or on the roof of the
Church. In the Townley MSS. 914, says Dr. Whitaker, I find a
Job. Piper, Vic. Eccl. de Halyfax, 11th Hen. 4^'.

7. Thomas Wilkynson, born, as tradition informs us, at
Brackenbed, in Ovenden, and instituted May 16, 1438; died Jan.
25, 1480. " Thomas Wylkinson Vicarius Eclie de Halifax," is
witness to a deed in my possession, dated May 7, 19 Hen. VI,
or A. D. 1440.

8. Richard de Simms, instituted Feb. 11, 1480; died Nov,
11, 1496.

9. Thomas de Bront, L.D. instituted Nov. 27, 1496. He
resigned the vicarage, and it was the first instance of its having
become vacant any other way than by death.

10. William Rokeby, Bishop of Meath, and afterwards Arch-
bishop of Dublin, in Ireland, instituted 14th June, 1-302 ; died
Nov. 29, 1521.

11. John Taylor, LL.D. Master of the Rolls and Chancellor,
instituted some time in the year 1521. Mr. Wright thinks he
resigned the vicarage before his death, which happened in 1534,
but of this there is no proof.

12. Robert Holdesworth, LL.D. the time of whose institution
is uncertain. He was of the family of the Holdsworth's, of Astey,
(or Ashdale,) in Southowram, and was possessed of an estate in
that township. He was slaine of thieves in the night time, in the
vicarage house, which stood on different ground from the present
one, in the third year of the reign of Philip and Mary. An old
MS. says, this event happened at the great chamber of the North,
at the vicarage, at the lower part of the house, in the part thereof



12S THE PARISH CHURCH.

turning towards the East. He built the South Chapel of the
Churches at his own charges, and was buried under the great
tomb-stone there May 10, 1556, as appears by the register.

13. John Harrison, instituted July 13, 1556; buried at Halifax
15th Feb. 1559.

14. Christopher Ashburn, or Ashborne, instituted in the
beginning of Lent, 1559, and resigned it 1573. He was the first
Protestant Vicar here. He defaced and sold much of the housing
belonging to the vicarage ; was buried at Halifax Dec 7, 1584.

15. Francis Ashburn, his son, of Trinity College, Cambridge,
instituted June 3rd, 1573, on the presentation of Queen Elizabeth ;
died July 18th, 1583.

16. Henry Ledsam, or Ledsham, D.D. Fellow of Merton
College, Oxford, presented by Queen Elizabeth, was instituted Sept.
15. 1583 ; resigned Nov. 29, 1593. He was slaine in London in
1598, by one that was afterwards hanged at Tyburn, as the party
confessed at his death.

17. John Favour, LL.D. of New College, in Oxford, who,
according to Watson, was instituted Dec. 3, 1593, on the presenta-
tion of Queen Elizabeth; inducted Jan. 1594; died March 10,
1623. He was a justice of the peace for the West Riding.

18. Robert Clay, D. D. of Merton College, Oxford, of the
family of Clay, of Clayhouse, in Greetland, where he was born.
He was instituted to the vicarage March 20, 1623, having been
presented thereto by Sir Henry Savile, Knt. and Bart. He died
April 9, 1628, and was buried in the library (which he is said to
have built) in Halifax church, April 14, 1628, with the following
inscription on his grave-stone : " Robertus Clay, S. T. P. Vicarius
de Halifax, obiit Aprilis nono die. Anno Domini 1628."

The Register contains the following entry : " Robertus Clay,
D.D. Oxoniensis Merton, post quadrinura apud Halifax multa cum
diligentia et pastorali cura in zodiaco animarum cursum attigisset,
dulciter et quiete placida [this should be placidam] vitam transmisit
in celestia. Obiit Aprilis nono, et sepultus decimo quarto ejusdem
mensis, Anno Dom. 1628-" Mr. Watson has extracted certain
articles said to have been exhibited against this gentleman, which
might with impunity have been omitted, considering that they
were never proved.



THE PARISH CHURCH. 129

19. Hugh Ramsden, B.D. also of Merton College, of which he
was Fellow; inducted Oct. 7, 1628, on the presentation of King
Charles I ; died at York, July 1 6, and was buried in Halifax
chancel, July 19, 1629.

20. Henry Ramsden, his brother, was instituted on the pre-
sentation of King Charles I. Aug. 19, 1629, and inducted the 23rd.
Died March 25, 1 638. He was a justice of peace for the West Riding.

21. Richard Marsh, D.D. instituted on the presentation of
King Charles I. April 12, 1638 ; inducted April 17, following. He
was obliged to fly from his living in 1642, to which he did not
return until after the King's restoration. He was a Justice of Peace
and Dean of York. A memoir of him will be found in the Parish
Biography.

After the Doctor's departure, says Watson, one Wayte was
appointed vicar by the Lord Fairfax, but how long he officiated is
uncertain. Mr. Wright says that Mr. Root was minister here in
1643 and 1644. John Lake, in 1647 and 1649, (which is proved
by a mem. of his at the end of vol. III. of the Register). Then
Robert Booth, in 1650, who was buried at Halifax, July 28, 1657.
Lastly, Eli Bentley, born at Sowerby, who was assistant to Booth,
and after his death continued in the place until he was ejected
for refusing to comply with the Act of Uniformity, as we are told
by Mr. Wright, who has taken his statement from Calamy's
account of ejected ministers, vol. II. p. 804, 2nd edition. This
writer says, that Bentley was bred at Cambridge, and was
Fellow of Trinity College ; that he became assistant to Booth in
August, 1652— that he fled before the Five-mile Act, but in 1672
returned to Halifax, and preached in his own house ; and that he
died July 31, 1675, aged 49. The character he gives of him is,
that he was a man of good parts, a solid, serious preacher, of a very
humble behaviour, and very useful in his place ; he lived desired,
and died lamented.

It is stated that after the removal of Mr. Root, Halifax was
served, tiU the return of Dr. Marsh, by stipendiary priests, which in
all probability was the case.

22. Richard Hook, D.D. instituted June 10, 1662, on the
presentation of King Charles II. and inducted the 29th. He was
also rector of Thornton, in Craven. He died Jan. 1, 1688-9.



130 THE PARISH CHURCH.

23. Edmund Hough, M.A. also rector of Thornton, Inducted
June 26, 1689, on the presentation of King James II. It is
probable that he was at no time a very rigid conformist, for Calamy
says that he died of a broken heart, in consequence of the persecu-
tions of the Ecclesiastical Court. In Halifax Register is this
entry: " Edmundus Hough, A.M. inductus erat in Vicar, de
Halifax per Jacobum Roberts, Vicar, de Bingley, 26° die Junii
1689. Sepultus 3^ Aprilis, 1691. — Vir de tota ecclesia tam pietatis
quam doctrinse ergo optima meritus, industrius Pastor, et efficax
Evangelii Concionator, quondam dignus Coll Jesu Cant. Socius, et
Ecclesise Thorntonensis doctus et diligens Rector, tandem vixit
Ecclesiae sedulus per biennium Vicarius."

24. Joseph Wilkinson, A.M. instituted Sept. 7th, or 17th,
and inducted Oct. 26, 1691, having been presented by King
William III. He was first vicar of Chapel-Izod, near Dublin, and
Prebendary of Casternock, in the Cathedral of St. Patrick's, Dublin,
afterwards rector of Widdington, Yorkshire. Notwithstanding
these preferments, he is said to have been necessitous, and to have
lived, for a considerable time, in the library of the church, in order
to secure himself from arrests. He died Dec. 28, 1711, and was
buried in the Chancel at Halifax.

25. Thomas Burton, M.A. rector of Lofthouse, and curate of
Yarum, in Yorkshire, was instituted on the presentation of Queen
Ann, March 28, and inducted April 3d or 4th, 1712. March 1,
1715, he was made Prebendary of the Prebend of Givendale, in
the Cathedral of York. He died July 22, 1731, and was buried in
the Chancel at Halifax, without any memorial of him.

26. George Legh, LL D. inducted, as Mr. Wright says, on
the presentation of King George II. October 2nd, 1731. He was
subsequently made Prebendary of York, in the Bottevant- Stall.
Died 6th Dec. 1775, and was interred in the library of the Parish
Church. An ill executed monument has been erected to his
memory, in the Chancel. " He was (says Dr. Whitaker) a low
churchman, and popular among the dissenters, a disciple of Bishop
Hoadley and his coadjutor, in what was called the Bangorian Con-
troversy ; about which he seems to have been more in earnest than
his duty as a preacher, which he is said to have performed in a very
careless and languid manner. He was a man of great singularity



THE PARISH CHURCH. 131

of character, subject to fits of absence and forgetfulness, which not
unfrequently exposed him to ridicule."

27. Henry Wood, D.D. of Jesus College, Canabridge, also
rector of Hemsworth. He was inducted on the 14th Feb. 1776;
died October 1790, and was buried at Hemsworth.

28. Henry William Coulthurst, D D. Scholar of Saint
John's College, and afterwards Fellow of Sidney Sussex College,
Cambridge, was inducted December 4th, 1790, and died Dec. 11th,
1817. Of Dr. Coulthurst, it was truly said by his excellent
successor, " that he possessed an admirable combination of qualities
to render his society both delightful and profitable ; he was cheerful
without frivolity, grave without moroseness, and instructive without
pedantry. His deportment was ever affable and courteous ; in his
social intercourse he was the decided friend and advocate both of
morality and religion ; his conversation was such as became the
gospel of Christ ; an affectionate husband, — an indulgent master, —
a kind neighbour, — a generous friend, — a dutiful subject, — and a
true lover of his country. Integrity, clemency, and the fear of God
ever influenced him in the discharge of his magisterial duties ; in
short, his name will long be remembered in the parish of Halifax,
and as long as it is remembered, will be revered." The parish is



Online LibraryEng. (Lancashire). Parish BuryThe registers of the parish church of Bury in the County of Lancasrter. Christenings, burials, & weddings (Volume 2) → online text (page 12 of 52)