Eng. (Lancashire). Parish Bury.

The registers of the parish church of Bury in the County of Lancasrter. Christenings, burials, & weddings (Volume 2) online

. (page 35 of 52)
Online LibraryEng. (Lancashire). Parish BuryThe registers of the parish church of Bury in the County of Lancasrter. Christenings, burials, & weddings (Volume 2) → online text (page 35 of 52)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1793, the living was further augmented by lot, with £300 from the Governors.
In the year 1793, the inhabitants subscribed £300, which obtained
another £200 from the Governors to meet the benefaction ; with this
an estate was purchased, called Reddish-house farm, containing about
33 days' work of Land, in the Township of Spotland, in Lancasliire 33

In 1815, an allotment of Common near the Chapel, containing 6J

Was awarded under the Enclosure Act, and in 1831, the living was
further augmented by Lot with £300.

Near the chapel is a commodious building, used as a school-
room, with a dwelling underneath, erected a. d. 1815. Over the
door is inscribed on a stone tablet : " Erected by subscription for
the purpose of educating children in the principles of the Established
Church." The building is vested in trustees, and the school is in
union with the national school society.

Adjoining the chapel yard is a small triangular piece of ground,
called the Town's Field, but how it became the property of the
public is uncertain ; possession is their best and only evidence of
title.

At a cottage under the wall, on the left of the stone steps leading
into the chapel yard, watch and ward was kept during the rebellion
of 1745 ; and a small detachment of soldiers were quartered at a
place called Barrack castle, at present consisting of three or four
cottages, on an eminence about three fields length to the right of
the road leading from Illingworth to Holdsworth ; from this position
a communication could be kept up between Beacon-hill in South-



378 TOWNSHIP OF OVENDEN.

Owram and Soil hill, from whence maybe seen York minster when the
atmosphere is clear ; and at the time of the threatened invasion from
France a beacon was erected on this hill, to communicate with Al-
mondbury bank and Otley Cheven.

HOLDESWORTH,

Is a pleasant rural village adjoining upon Illingworth, which
gave name to a family of some repute. The derivation of the name
is uncertain. Mr. "Watson refers to a deed, s. d. whereby John,
son of William de Ovenden, quit-claimed to Roger de Rastrick
land in HaldewToke. (Holdeworth.) This, by the witnesses, was
about 1287. 37 Hen, III. John, the seventh earl of Warren, had
a charter for free warren in the township of Holdsworth ; and in a
survey and boundary of the copyhold land within the graveship of
Hipperholme in the year 1607, it is called a township.

Holdesworth house is a fine old family mansion, long the resi-
dence of the Wadsworths : on one of the south gables is a cross
similar to that before referred to. On a stone over the south porch
are the initials a, b. 1633, which stand for Abraham Brigg, who
sold the estate to Henry Wadsworth in 1657, Over the western
gateway are j "^d 1680. (John and Dorothy Wadsworth.)

This estate and the two adjoining farms are, and always have
been considered exempt from the custom of the soke of Ovenden.

Not far from the house, at a place called Popples, is a large
commodious and handsome room, used as a national school-room,
erected by the present Mi's. Wadsworth, a. d. 1816.

WHEATLEY,

Is a valley in this township lying to the North of Halifax,
through which the Hebble or Halig runs. Mr. Watson says the
apparent etymology of the word is the lea or meadow producing
wheat ; but the derivation assigned by Mr. Hunter to Wheatley in
the parish of Doncaster, will equally apply to this place ; namely
the wet lee, when the word wet is pronounced according to what is
the provincial enunciation of it. The lands lie low.

In a rental of the sums paid to the knights of St. John of Jeru-
salem, for lands, &c. Avithin this parish is the following : Edvardus
Kent, pro certis terris et ten : Whetley, infra villat. de Ovenden, Id.

On the West side of the brook which runs through this valley,



TOWNSHIP OF OVENDEN. 379

lie Mixenden and Ovenden Wood. On Mixenden moor were dis-
covered some remains of the British sera, which I have already ad-
verted to ; and a British road in all probahility passed in this direc-
tion, as I have shown in a preceding chapter.

Within Ovenden wood are some fine springs of pure water
Avhich are conveyed into the reservoirs that supply the town of
Halifax.

The beneficial results arising from the inclosure of the wastes,
in this township, are shewn in every point of view that presents
itself ; much of the land at that time barren has not only been
considerably improved, and laid out in pasture; but exhibits in many
places a degree of cultivation which may be looked for in vain in
more favored districts. Its effect in a political point of view is more
remarkable, as will be seen by a reference to the population tables.

The turnpike road from Halifax to Keighley runs directly through
this toM^nship, and on several parts of the line there has been much
building.

Among the family mansions and modern residences within this
township, which are at present worthy of note ; and of those which
are now converted into farm-houses, but still retain some distin-
guishing feature reminiscent of former times, are the following : —

Ovenden Hall, a fine old mansion house, on the left of the high
road, about a mile and a quarter from Halifax, formerly the resi-
dence of the Fourness family, now belonging to Thomas Sutclifte,
Esquire.

Ovenden House, on the same line, a neat modern residence,
rebuilt on the scite of a former mansion, erected 1727, the property
of Mr. Bould.

Park Lodge, a pleasant mansion, nearer Halifax, surrounded
with its pleasure grounds, the residence of Mr. Turney.

Birk's Hall, in the vale of Wheatley, rebuilt on the site of a
former mansion, long the residence of the Ramsbottoms, now of
Mrs. Lancashire.

Jumples House, now occupied as a farm-house, some time the
residence of the Ramsdens.

Rydings, an ancient mansion, formerly in the possession of a
family of that name, then of the Farrars, of Ewood, the last of
whom died May, 1799.



380 TOWNSHIP OF OVENDEN.

Brackenbed, the birth place of Thomas Wilkinson, the seventh
vicar of Halifax, On a stone at the end of one of the gables is
I. W. 1604 : and in the old hall w^indow are a few panes of painted
glass.

Fold, a farm-house of some antiquity, where tradition says that
murder was committed prior to the building of Illingworth Chapel,
while some part of the family then residing there were attending
divine service on a Sunday, at Halifax church : this tradition was
related to me by the late Mr. Moss, of Ovenden.

HoLDSwoRTH HousE, the residence of Mrs. Wadsworth, I have
before noticed.

ScAUSBY House, near Holdsworth, the residence of William
Dean, Esq.

Of New House, which was formerly a large and handsome
family mansion in this township, the residence of the late John
Mitchell, Esq., the scite alone remains. The house was rased in
the year 1808, in consequence of some family differences.

In the year 1630, Anthony Bentley, of Ovenden, gent., paid
£10 composition money for not receiving the order of knighthood
at the coronation of Charles I.



TOWNSHIP OF HIPPERHOLME-CUM-
BRIGHOUSE.



HippERHOLME is SO Called from its elevated situation, the
higher holme, in opposition to the lower and middle holme, which
lie beneath it. This township is bounded on the West by North
and South Owram ; on the North by Shelf ; on the South by Ras-
trick ; and on the East by Hartishead-cum-Clifton. It contains
2550 statute acres, and has not been inappropriately termed the
Garden of Halifax.

Hipperholme was formerly granted by the crown to the Earls
Warren, and in that family it appears to have remained until the
death of the 8th earl in 1347, as will be seen by a reference to the
history of "The Manor." (p. 50.) being parcel thereof.

In the 22nd Henry VIII. it appears to have been in the king's
hands, from the copy of a rental for this greaveship, the first article

of which is, " Johannes Ryshworth de Caldeley, pro certis

terris nuper captis de vasto domini regis juxta New Chappel." At
an inquisition taken at Halifax, in the reign of queen Elizabeth,
the queen was found to be possessed thereof, as parcel of the manor
of Wakefield. The present duke of Leeds is its most noble possessor.

There is a court baron kept at Brighouse, by Sir George Armi-
tage, and a court baron under Hipperholme Thorn, by the Thornhills
of Fixby. A court was held under this thorn, August 22, 1688,
and another, September 25, 1701 ; in the former of these Sir John
Armitage, bart. was amerced in 2s. 6d. fine, for non-appearance ;
Joshua Horton, Esq. 2s. 6d. and several others Is. each.

Hipperholme is one of the Graveships of the manor of Wakefield,
within this parish. The grave is an officer or servant belonging to
the lord of the manor, so called from the Anglo-Saxon Et-pepe, or



382 TOWNSHIP OF

the German Graf. His duty is to collect the lord's rents, and his
stile, in Latin deeds, is Prepositus, There are two graveships in
this parish, Hipperholme and Sowerby, the former of which con-
tains the townships and vills of Hipperholme-cum-Brighouse, Light-
clifFe, and North Owram ; Watson assigns the following reasons,
why the rest of this parish is exempt from the jurisdiction of graves ;
Halifax was, in a great measure, infranchised at different periods,
but especially by the Ingrams, to whom king James I. granted the
copyhold manor here. The lord of the manor has also a bailiff here
who does the business of a grave. Elland, Greetland, and South
Owram belong to the honor of Pontefract, and are under different
regulations. The rest of the townships throughout the whole parish
have been granted off by the lords of the manor of Wakefield, and
do not belong to the present owner thereof ; the lord's bailiff, how-
ever, at Halifax, collects yearly what are called earl Warren's rents,
payable at Michaelmas, in the several townships of Fixby, North
Owram, Skircoat, Midgley, Sowerby, Shelf, Hipperholme, Oven-
den, and Rishworth-cum-Norland.

In a verdict of several copyholders within the graveship of Hip-
perholme, the jurors said, that the bailiff of the fee of Wakefield
collected certain freehold rents within their gi-aveship, called Earl's
rents, which seems to point out the true original of them. In this
extent is a survey of the graveship of Fekisbye and Rastricke.

"The oldest mention, adds Mr. Watson, that I have seen made
of the graveship of Hipperholm, is in the Domesday book, in 1314,
the next is 21 Edw. IV. In a drawer at Howroyd, in this parish,
marked No. 12, is a list of the graves for this graveship, beginning
at a court held at Wakefield, 5 Oct. 21 Edw. IV. and ending at
another, held 24 Hen. VII. when all the estates in the graveship
having served the office in their rotation, the same Edmund Rysh-
worth, who had been elected 21 Edw. IV. was again chosen, that
the same order might be observed as before. In the same drawer is a
rental of this graveship, dated 21 Edw. IV. At the same place is
also another, and more particular rental of this graveship, 22 Hen.
VIII. In the above drawer is a presentment and verdict of several
copyholders within this graveship, at Wakefield, Sept. 29, 1604,
containing a large list of encroachments upon the waste. In the
same drawer is the copy of a survey and boundary of the copyhold



HIPPERHOLME-CUM-BRIGIIOUSE. 383

land within this graveshiji, collected by the view of the copies of
every copyholder, as they presented the same to a jury sworn for
enquiry on certain articles to them ministred by his majesty's com-
missioners, in 1607, in Coley-chapel, where the jury sat. I have
the verdict of several freeholders and copyholders within this grave-
ship, made at a great court-baron of Thomas, duke of Leedes, held
at LightclifFe, by adjournment, 24 May, 8 Ann, 1 709, concerning
the freehold and copyhold lands and tenements within the said
graveship, which paid rents, and did service to the lord of the manor
of Wakefield ; when the jurors, upon enquiry into the old rentals,
and evidences concerning the said graveship, did find and present,
that there were twenty- seven graves within the same, and put down
the names of the owners of land therein, in the order in which they
ought to serve that office in their respective turns, together Avith
their helpers. In the above drawer at Howroyd is a set of answers
from several copyholders in this graveship, to a book of articles to
them delivered by his majesty's commissioners, in 1617, wherein,
amongst other things, they say, that they had made a particular ex-
tent, or book of survey, of the several copyhold lands within the
said graveship, wherein was contained the names of every copy-
holder, the number of messuages, houses, cottages, oxgangs, and
acres of land, as their several copies warranted the same, with most
of the boundaries thereof, the particular estates or interests therein,
the dates of most of their copies, and so much as contained which
was oxgangland, and which was rodland, and which, and how
much, was freehold land, of the late earl of Leicester's grant, with
the particular tenants who then held the same."

This township is a chapelry containing two chapels, viz. Coley
and Lightcliffe ; they are not more than a mile distant from each
other : the following may perhaps throw a little light on the reason
of their proximity.

In the life of the Rev. Oliver Heywood by Mr. Slate, a paper
is referred to, entitled " Particulars respecting Coley, collected by
O. Heywood." The following is an extract: —

" Tradition tells us, there were two sisters, never married, that
lived at Priestley Green, having large estates ; who built the two
chapels, Coley and LightclifFe, a mile distant from each other, and
both standing in Hipperholme township ; but in what year, or by



384 TOWNSHIP OF

what inducements they were influenced, I cannot learn. Being
built in popish times, possibly they were founded in superstition ;
but the work was good, and it is not our province to judge of
motives at this distance."

COLEY CHAPEL.

The old chapel was built a, d. 1529, the same year with Light-
clifFe, as appears from Dodsw: M. S. 117, and not 1500 as stated
by Mr. Watson, neither by the joint contributions of North Owram,
Shelf, and Hipperholme ; if the tradition related by Mr. Heywood
be correct. In the lord's rental for the graveship of Hipperholme,
dated 22 Hen. VIII. (1530) it is called the new chapel.

Mr. Watson refers to a deed of feoffment, 28 Hen. VIII (1536)
relating to this chapel, which he saw at Coley hall, as also to a
deed declaring the uses thereof : from this deed, which is set forth
in Watson, it appears that these uses were partly superstitious.
The deed alludes to Lightcliff'e as a prior foundation ; " and for so
moch that ther is a chappel nowe newly maid within the said town
of Hyperome, and that dyvers gentilmen and oders haiif gyff'yn
yerly rents toward the fyndyng of a Prest within the said town."

The old chapel was about twenty-eight yards long, and about
thirteen and a half broad. Over the west porch was written the
date when the chapel was repaired, viz. "Anno Dom. 1711." The
east end was repaired the same year. On the steeple : "This end
rebuilt 1711." The present fabric is a neat structure, with a
cemetery attached. The incumbent is the Rev. John Watson.

The incumbency was augmented in the year 1749, by the go-
vernors of Queen Anne's bounty, wdth a benefaction of £200, to
meet a benefaction of £200 by the Rev. Henry Whitworth : and in
1816, with £800 by lot; and again in 1817, with £600 also by
lot. The present yearly revenue of the curacy is stated to be £125.

LIGHTCLIFFE CHAPEL

Is dedicated to St. Matthew. In the Harleian MS. No. 797,
under the title of LightclifFe, is this entry : "In the chapel of
LightclifFe w^as this inscription in red characters, 'this chapell w^as
builded a. d. 1529.' "



HIPPERHOLME-CUM-B RIG HOUSE. 385

In Halifax Register, at the year 1668, is the following licence
to LightclifFe chapel to baptize and bury there, from Richard Sterne,
Archbishop of York. A similar licence was granted to lUingworth.

"Richardus, providentia divina Ebor. Archiep, Anglic Primas
et Metropolit. dilectis nobis in Christo incolis et inhabitantibus de
Hipperholme cum Brighouse, infra et juxta capellaneam de Light-
clifFe, parochie de Hallifax, nostre Ebor, diocescos, salutem in
Domino sempiternam. Cum ex parte vestra nobis monstratum sit,
quod incole et inhabitantes de Hipperholme cum Brighouse prcdicto,
procul distant, scilicet per spatium quatuor aut trium milliarium
ab ecclesia de Hallifax predict, ubi infantes vestri baptizari, et
corpora mortuorum sepeliri olim consueverunt, et quod propter loci
distantiam et viarum discrimen et proclivitatem, infantes vestri,
et corpora mortuorum vestrorum, sine maximo periculo et labore
convehi et asportari nequeant, et quod capella de LightclifFe, infra
parochiam de Hallifax, cum sustentatione congrua pro capellano
inibi servituro fuerit, et sit induta, et quod cemeterium conveniens,
cum parietibus et sepibus a prophanis inclusum, adjacens capelle
predicte sumptibus propriis vestris fuerit, et sit provisum, et pro
sepultura corporum mortuorum supositnm : Nos igitur petitionibus
vestris nobis ex parte vestra presentatis, favorabiliter inclinantes,
et V03, et successores vestri, incole et inhabitantes de Hipperholme
cum Brighouse predicto, infantes vestros in dicto capella de Light-
clifFe predicta baptizare, et corpora mortuorum vestrorum, de tem-
pore in tempus, in dicta capella dc LightclifFe, et cemeterio pre-
dicto. sic (ut prefertur) incluso, sepelire possitis et valeatis, absq ;
tamen prejudicio matricis ecclesie vestre de Hallifax, et ejusdem
Vicarii (quibus omnia, et singula vadia, feoda, proficua, et emolu-
menta, debita consueta, ct debenda, respective reservari volumus
et reservamus,) licentiam et facultatem nostram concedimus ct
impertimur per presentes, ac vobiscum in ea parte, quantum in
nobis est, dispcnsamus, mediante ad id decreto hoc nostro in ca
parte, de et cum consensu dilecti nostri in Christo, Richardi Hooke,
S.T.P. Vicarii modcrni ecclesie parochialis dc Hallifax, coram nobis
judicialiter et personaliter adhibito interposito. In cujus rei testi-
monium, Sigillum nostrum Archiepiscopalc prcscntibus apponi
fecimus. Datum apud mancrium nostrum, de Bishopthorpe, S^°-
die Deccmbris, a. v. 16S0, nostreq. translationis 17''."



386 TOWNSHIP OF

The present erection is a plain structure, with a bell tower, and
is enclosed within a capacious cemetery.

This incumbency was augmented by the governors of Queen
Anne's bounty, in the year 1749, with £200 by lot, and in the
years 1758 and 1762 by two benefactions of £200 each, to meet
similar benefactions by the Rev. Richard Sutcliife, and again in
1791, with a benefaction of £200, to meet a similar one by the late
Wm. Walker, Esq. The yearly value of the curacy is stated to be
£140. The Rev. Robt Wilkinson, A.M. is the present incumbent.

It appears from Mr. Watson, that these Chapels have been
endowed, as follows :

THE ENDOWMENT OF COLET-CHAPEL.

" John Rysshworth, of Coley, Esq. and his son John Ryssh worth
of Collyn, conveyed a parcel of land in Coley, within the vill of
Hipperholm, held of the capital house or hospital of St. John of
Jerusalem, in England, as it lay between Edwardrode on the east,
the King's common, or waste ground, on the west, Coolay Slakke
on the north, and a certain inclosure called Wynters, on the south,
and a yearly rent of twenty shillings, payable out of a messuage,
with lands, in Shelf. At the same time also Matthew Oglethorp,
of Thornton, conveyed a yearly rent of three shillings and four-pence
out of all his lands and tenements in Hipperholm ; Richard Rookes
of Rodeshall, a yearly rent of three shillings and four-pence, out of
a messuage with lands, in Shelf ; Thomas Fournes, of Bothes, a
yearly rent of three shillings and four-pence, out of a capital mes-
suage, with lands, in Shelf ; Richard Haldeworth, of Hipperholm,
a yearly rent of three shillings and four-pence, out of his capital
messuage and lands lying on the north side of Hipperholm ; Henry
Batte, of Haylay, a yearly rent of three shillings and four-pence
out of a messuage and lands in North Owram ; William Cowper, of
Keighley, a yearly rent of three shillings and four-pence, out of a
messuage with lands, called Deynehouse, in Shelf : John Boy, of
Northowram, a yearly rent of three shillings and fourpence, out of
lands and tenements in Shelf; Thomas Northend, of Hipperholm,
a yearly rent of twenty-pence, out of all his free lands and tene-
ments in Hipperholm ; and William Saltonstall, of Shelf, a yearly
rent of twenty -pence, out of messuages and lands in Shelf, to cer-
tain trustees named in a deed, dated the 15th of November, 21



HIPPERHOLME-CUM-BRIGHOUSE. 387

Hen. VIII. in trust, as appears by another deed, dated the 14th of
February, 21 Hen. VIII. for the use of a chapel and cemetery, to
be made, founded, and built on the parcel of land above named ;
the aforesaid yearly rents or annuities to be received yearly at Pen-
tecost and St. Martin in winter, by equal portions, amongst other
things to the use and sustentation of Richard Northend, Capellane
in the said chapel, and his successors, saying, singing, and cele-
brating divine offices therein for ever."

William Thorpe gave, as appears by a deed of feoffment, dated
the 9th of February, 28 Hen. VIII. the yearly sum of six shillings
and eightpence, payable out of his messuages, lands, tenements,
&c. in the tow^n and fields of Shelf, to be for ever bestovi^ed at the
discretion of certain feoffees therein named, to and for the amending
and repairing of highvs^ays, or helping of poor maidens towards mar-
riage, or other things necessary ; and after the death of Isabel his
wife, the whole rent of the above messuages, &c, to the use of a
priest to sing <vithin the township of Hipperholm, and there to
pray for the soul of the said William Thorpe, and others.

Robert Hemingway, of Overbrea, gave by will, dated March
3, 1613, forty pounds towards the maintenance of a preacher at
Coley Chapel, to be bestowed at the discretion of his executors ;
there were also given for the same end and use, by Isabel Maud, of
Halifax, widow, twenty pounds ; by Agnes Royde, of North Owram,
five pounds ; by Matthew Whitley five pounds, by their several
wills ; eight pounds were likewise given to the same use, by Henry
Northend and Joseph Wood ; with which sums, Richard Sunder-
land, of Colcy-hall, Esq. and seven others, as trustees, purchased
of one William Kershaw, of Wike, a messuage or tenement in
Wike, in the parish of Birstal, with a close of land and meadow
called Mappleynne, divided into two parts, in one of which the
said messuage stood ; and also a house or cottage in Wike aforesaid,
and also a close of land called Farhinging Royds, divided into three
closes. This purchase was made with the approbation of all the
inhabitants within the Chapelry of Coley, and the property was
conveyed to Richard Sunderland and others, in trust that they should
pay yearly the rent thereof by equal portions, at Martinmas and
Pentecost, to the preaching minister at Coley aforesaid, for the
time being, towards his maintenance, and in no other manner, nor
c c 2



388 TOWNSHIP OF

to or for any other use. When only three trustees survived, they
were to convey to others in three months. Mr. Watson says, " I
have seen no trust deed relating to the above, of a later date than
Jan 3, 1658, which, vrith another made in the year 1637, were in
the hands of Mr. Simpson, of Hipperholme.

Richard Sunderland, Esq. of Coley-Hall, gave by will, a. d.
1634, thirty shillings a year, for ever, out of a tenement in Shelf, to
the preaching minister of Coley chapel.

Samuel Sunderland, Esq. by his will, as appears from Watson,
gave to the successive curates of the chapel of Coley five pounds a
year for ever; but Mr. Thoresby's account in his Topography of
Leeds, p. 583, differs from this, for according to this author he
left yearly to Coley chapel twenty shillings.

Joshua Gates entered into a bond of one hundred pounds, in
his life time, to secure forty shillings a year to the preacher at Coley
chapel for ever, out of a parcel of land in Shelf, to be paid at Mar-
tinmas and Pentecost, by equal portions.

Susanna Danson was a benefactress to Coley chapel, as ap-
pears from the following inscription on a stone erected on the right
hand side of the way leading from Huddersfield to Bradford, at a
place called Cockhill-clough : " Mrs. Susanna Danson gave the two
adjoining closes to Coley chapel for ever, and they came into pos-



Online LibraryEng. (Lancashire). Parish BuryThe registers of the parish church of Bury in the County of Lancasrter. Christenings, burials, & weddings (Volume 2) → online text (page 35 of 52)