• where the family now resides. Politically, Mr. Sidders is a Democrat. He
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
One of the enterprising and successful farmers of Adams township,
who has lived in the county all his life, is Harden Hall, living on his farm
of sixty-five acres located on the DeGraffe and St. Paris pike about seven
miles northeast of St. Paris, on rural route. No. 4. He was born on the old
Hall homestead in .Vdams township, where his brother, Sheppard Hall, now
lives, on November 18. 1840, the son of German and Ruth (Newcomb)
Hall, a sketch of whose lives appears elsewhere in this work in the sketch
of Sheppard Hall. German Hall came as a small child from Virginia with
his parents, John Hall and wife, who settled on a farm about one and one-
half miles east of where Harden Hall now lives, in Concord township, and
here John Hall lived the remainder of his life. German Hall was reared on
this farm and after reaching manhood, married Ruth Newcomlj, who was
born- and reared in Adams township, this county. German Hall and wife
were the parents of ten children, six of whom are living: Henry, living in
Starke county, Indiana; Harden, of this review; Joel, a resident of Logan
county, Ohio; Liza Ann, the wife of Thomas Wirt, a farmer of Adams town-
ship; Oliver, living in Whitley county, Indiana, and Sheppard, who is men-
tioned elsewhere in this work.
Harden Llall was reared to the life of a farmer, receiving his education
in the district schools of his home township, and lived on the home farm
until his marriage. He then started farming for himself by renting land in
Adams township, but after a few years, he purchased the farm of sixty-
five acres where he is no\\ living, and has since made his home. He is a
936 CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO.
general farmer and stockman, and progressive and up to date in his methods.
On February 18, 1864, Harden Hall was united in marriage to Mary
Ann Mc Alexander, the daughter of David and Elizabeth (Idle) Me Alexan-
der, who were pioneer farmers of the county. To this union four children
were born: Joseph, a farmer of Adams township; Elmer, living at home:
Lizzie, the wife of Sylvester Harris, a farmer living in Harrison township,
and Bessie, living at home. The mother of these children died on March
24, 1913. She was a faithful and consistent member of the United Brethren
church, in which church her husband still holds membership. Mr. Hall is
a Democrat in politics, but has never lieen active in political matters, although
always ready to lend his warm support to all measures having for their ol)ject
the betterment of his community.
HENRY PAGE WILSON.
Henry P. Wilson, a farmer of Concord township, this county, was born
in Salem township, June 3, 1853, ^ son of Ebenezer and Lvicinda (Muzzy)
Wilson. The father was born in Harrison township, this county, March
10, 1821. He was a son of Joseph and Eleanor (Fullengton) Wilson, who
came to Ohio in pioneer days, locating in Harrison township, and there they
spent the rest of their lives. He was first a Whig, later a Republican. He
belonged to the Presbyterian church, in which he was an elder, an active
worker and liberal contributor. His family consisted o'f the following chil-
dren : Miles, Henry, Ebenezer, Joseph, James F., Eliza J., and Ellen. .All
these children but the eldest were born after the family came to Cham-
Ebenezer Wilson was reared on the farm in Harrison township. He
was a son of Joseph Wilson and his first wife. The father was married
a second time and the following children were born to his last union : Nancy,
Thomas, Sarah, Mary, Price and David. Ebenezer Wilson was married in
Salem township, and nine children were born to him, three of whom are
living in 1917, namely: Henry Page, the subject of this sketch; Jennie, who
has remained unmarried and lives in Urbana, and Nellie, also single, who
also lives in Urbana.
Henry P. Wilson was reared on the home farm and attended the
district schools until he was nineteen years old. He remained on the farm,
assisting his father with the work on the same until he was married, in
MR. AND MRS. HENRY PAGE WIL?!<^N.
CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO. 93/
March, 1877, to Harriet E. Couchman, by whom he had four children,
namely: Frank Earl, born on January 28, 1879, who married Edna Craig
and is now living on a farm in Salem township, this county; Lucinda E.,
who married Leroy Craig and who died in 1910; Blanche, also deceased,
and Helen, also deceased. Mrs. Harriet E. Wilson died on January 22,
1903, and in August, 1904, Mr. Wilson married Alta Delma Fidler, by
whom one child was born, which died in infancy.
Mr. Wilson has been very successful as a general farmer. He owns
one-third interest in a two-hundred-and-forty-acre farm, also owns two-
thirds interest in another farm of one hundred and ten acres in Salem town-
ship. He raises graded stock of all kinds.
Mr. Wilson is a Republican. He belongs to Urbana Lodge No. 46,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He belongs to the Methodist church
of Concord, of which he is treasurer and a member of the official board.
He has been active in politics and is now serving his second term as trus-
tee of Concord township. He also has served on the school board and on
the county fair board, of which latter organization he was for twenty years
GEORGE F. GOUL.
George F. Goul, proprietor of a well-kept farm of seventy-nine acres
in Goshen township, this county, the same being situated three and one-half
miles north of Mechanicsburg on the Mechanicsburg and Bellefontaine pike,
rural route No. i out of Mechanicsburg, was born on that farm and has lived
there all his life. He was born on April 25, 1857, son of John and Susan
(Coffinbarger) Goul, the former of whom was born in this county and the
latter in the state of Maryland.
John. Goul was born on what is now the James Perry farm, two and
a half miles northwest of Mutual, in Union township, in 1833, a son of
Christopher Goul and wife, the former of whom was born in Rockbridge
county, Virginia, September 6, 1804, and who was but a boy when he came
to Champaign county with his parents, Adam and Elizabeth Goul, who
became useful and influential pioneers of Goshen township. Adam Goul
was of European birth and was but eleven years of age when he departed from
his native land with his parents, the family's destination being the shores
of America. Both of the parents and a daughter died en route and were
buried at sea. Young orphaned \dam landed at the i)ort of Philadelphia and
938 CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO.
was there temporarily cared for, and "bound out," later going to Virginia.
He grew to manhood in Rockbridge county and there married, later coming
with his family to Champaign county, as noted above, and settling in Goshen
township, where he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives and where
they are buried. Christopher Goul was reared on the pioneer farm in Goshen
township and after his marriage settled in the Mutual neighborhood in
Union township, where he reared his family and spent his last days. His
son John grew up there and married Susan Coffinbarger, who was born in
1835 in the state of Maryland, where her father died, leaving a widow and five
children, two sons and three daughters. Later the Widow Coffinbarger
came with her children to Ohio, driving through with a covered wagon,
Susan then being but twelve years of age, and settled with her little family
in this county. After his marriage John Goul for a time made his home
on his father's farm, which is still in the possession of the family, and then,
about 1862, moved to a farm in Union township, remaining there for several
years, at the end of which time- he moved back to the old home farm, where
he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring on Decemlier 11, 1909.
During the latter part of the Civil War John Goul enlisted as a member
of Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-first Regiment, Ohio Volunteer
Infantry, and served with that command for three months. He was a
Republican and he and his wife were active members of the Methodist
church, he for many years acting as class leader of the local congregation.
To John Goul and wife five children were born, two sons and three daugh-
ters, of whom but two are now living, the subject of this sketch having a
brother, Walter S. Goul, now a resident of Springfield, Ohio. Of the daugh-
ters, Isabel R. died at the age of tvventy-one years, Ella died in infancy and
Parthenia died when eight or ten years of- age.
George F. Goul was reared on the farm, receiving his schooling in the
schools of Union and Goshen townships, and remained at home until his
marriage in 1882, when he and his wife started to housekeeping' in a little
log house on the farm on which they are now living and which presently
was taken away to make place for their present substantial farm house, and
they ever since have resided there. Mr. Goul is the owner of seventy-nine
acres of excellent land and his place is well improved and profitably culti-
vated. He is a Republican and has ever given a good citizen's attention to
local civic afifairs, but has never been particularly active in "politics." He
and his wife are members of the Treckles Creek Methodist Episcopal church
and take an active interest in church affairs, Mr. Goul being a member of
the board of trustees of the same and for several vcars clerk of the board.
CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO. 939
On February 23, 1882, George F. Goul was united in marriage to Olive
Ann Wynant, who was born in Madison county, Indiana, daughter of Will-
iam and Mary (Goul) Wynant, the former a native of the state of Virginia
and the latter of Ohio, whose last days were spent in Indiana. William
Wynant was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, in 181 1 and wlien a voung
man came with his parents to Ohio, the family settling in this county, whence
he presently went over into Indiana and in Madison county, that state, met
and married Mary Goul, who was born in Ohio, but who had gone to
Indiana with her parents when but a girl. After their marriage William
Wynant and his wife settled on a farm in Madison county, Indiana, there
reared their family and spent the remainder of their lives. They were the
parents of four children, two of whom died in infancy, the others still sur-
viving, Mrs. Goul having a sister, Zilpha, wife of Granville Smith, of Pendle-
ton, Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Goul have an adopted daughter, Rosa E., who
married Bailey Vermillion, of Springfield, Ohio, and has three children.
George R., Samuel E. and James Daniel, besides one child, a daughter,
Margaret O., deceased.
JOHN E. STABLER.
One of the enterprising farmers living in Adams township is John E.
Stabler, the owner and proprietor of a fine farm of sixty-four acres located
on the Rosewood-Ouincy pike, on rural route. No. i, out of Quincy, one and
one-half miles due north of Rosewood, Mr. Stabler was born in this town-
ship on a farm about a half mile west of his present home on December 2.
1872, the son of C. G. and Catherine (Pencil) Stabler, the former of whom
was a native of Germany, and the latter of Ohio.
C. G. Stabler was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, and lived in that
country until he reached the age of seventeen or eighteen years, when he
came to the United States, coming direct to the village of Degraff, in Ohio,
looking for an uncle of his who had previously emigrated to this country.
At that time Degrafif consisted of a few^ straggling houses, and the country
surrounding it only very sparsely settled. Mr. Stabler found his uncle for
whom he was looking, in Logan county. Ohio, and remained with him for a
short time, when he came down into Champaign county, where he met and
married Catherine Pencil, who was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, her
parents being of German ancestry. After his marriage C. G. Stabler located
940 CHAMPAIGN COUNTY. OHIO.
on the farm where John E. Stabler was born, and where he is now living,
and here they made their home for many years. C. G. Stabler is still living
on the old home place, his wife having passed away some years ago. To
them were born five children, four of whom are living: Mary B., the wife
of B. S. Young, of Rosewood; Barbara, who died at the age of twenty
years; William, a farmer of Adams township: Frank, also a resident of
Adams township, and John E. The family were earnest and faithful mem-
bers of the Lutheran church at Sidney, Ohio.
John E. Stabler was reared to the life of a farmer, receiving his edu-
cation in the district schools of his home township. After reaching manhood
he started out in life for himself by renting land in Adams township, which
he farmed for two years, after which he purchased the old home farm in
1892, and has since made this his home. He is a progressive and up-to-date
farmer and is making a success of his chosen calling.
On July 2, 1899, John E. Stabler was married to Minnie E. Scoby,
the daughter of Thomas Scoby and wife. Mrs. Stabler was born in Shelby
county, Ohio, near Pasco, and grew to womanhood in that county, making
her home with a sister in later years near Quincy, Ohio, in Logan county.
Mr. and Mrs. Stabler are the parents of one child, a son, Charles L., who
is now a student in the sixth grade in the schools at Rosewood.
Mr. Stabler is a Republican in politics, and has always taken an active
interest in local political affairs, and is now serving his fourth year as a
member of the Adams township board of education. He is a member of
Rosemont Lodge No. 253, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also
of Anderton Encampment No. 292, at Rosewood.
HENRY HARRISON DARLING.
Henrv Harrison Darling, former mayor of Mechanicsburg, this county.
and for years a well-known farrier and general jobber in blacksmithing in
that citv, was born at Mechanicsburg and has lived there practically all his
life, with the exception of a couple of years spent in business at Irwin, this
state. He was born on June 6, 1857, son of Isaac S. and Sarah (Riddle)
Darling, for years well-known residents of Mechanicsburg.
Isaac S. Darling was born in the state of Virginia and was but two
years of age when his parents left that state and came to Ohio, settling in
Knox c'ountv. where he erew to manhood and where he learned the trade
CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO. 94T
of a cabinet-maker. In 1840 Isaac S. Darling moved to Mechanicsburg,
where he began working in the cabinet shop of Daniel Neal, but not long
afterward he branched out for himself and in a small way became a building
contractor, which business he followed at Mechanicsburg the rest of his life,
his death occurring there on August 26, 1906. His wife had preceded him
to the grave several years. They were the parents of seven children, of
whom five grew to maturity, those besides the subject of this sketch being
Emma, wife of J. S. Neer, of Mechanicsburg; C. W., who died at Mechan-
icsburg in May, 1906; James C, who was killed in an accident in the South
in 1882, and George W. Darling, of Mechanicsburg.
Reared at Mechanicsburg, H. H. Darling early began working and
from the time he was twelve years of age until he was eighteen was employed
during the school-vacation periods in a local brick yard. He then, on Janu-
ary 4, 1876, began an apprenticeship in a blacksmith shop and upon the
completion of the same worked as a journeyman blacksmith until 1885,
when he set up an establishment of his own, making a specialty of first-class
horseshoing, and has ever since been thus engaged at Mechanicsburg, with
the exception of two years spent in the same line of business at Irwin. Mr.
Darling is a Republican and has for years given close attention to local
political affairs. For two years he served as a member of the town council
from his ward, for two terms as corporation clerk, for seven years as mem-
ber of the local school board and from 1908 to 1914 as mayor of Mechanics-
burg, to the duties of all of which branches of the public service he devoted
his most thoughtful and intelligent attention.
On October 18, 1883. H. H. Darling was united in marriage to Laura
D. Ball, who was born in the city of Lebanon, Indiana, daughter of Thomas
Ball and wife, the latter of whom was a Blue, and who died on July 22.
1902, leaving two children, a son and a 'daughter, James T., born on Sep-
tember 25, 1884, and Inez M., June i, 1887, both of whom are at home
with their father. Mr. Darling is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the
blue lodge and the chapter at Mechanicsburg, and is a past master of the
former. He also is a member of Wildey Lodge No. 271, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and of Goshen Encampment No. 137, Patriarchs
Militant, at Mechanicsburg. past noble grand of the former and past chief
patriarch of the latter, and is likewise a member of Lotus Lodge No. 501,
Daughters of Rebekah, at that place. He also is past chancellor commander
of Llome Lodge No. 474, Knights of Pythias, and past sachem of Tioga
Tribe No. 91, Improved Order of Red Men, at Mechanicsburg, and in the
afifairs of all these several fraternal organizations take a warm and active
942 CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO.
interest. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant church and takes
an interested part in church work, as well as in other local good works,
helpful in promoting all movements having to do with the advancement of
the common welfare in the community in which he has spent practically all
of his busv life.
Sheppard Hall, a well-known and enterprising farmer of Adams town-
ship, living on his farm three-fourths of a mile east of Rosewood, located
on the Sidney-Urbana pike on rural route No. i, out of Rosewood, was born
on the* same farm where he now lives on October 6, 1856, the son of German
and Ruth (Newcomb) Hall, the former of whom was a native of Virginia,
and the latter of this county.
German Hall was but an infant of nine months when his parents came
to Champaign county, the family settling on a farm in Harrison township,
where the father lived the remainder of his life. German Hall was reared
to manhood on the farm in Harrison township, where he lived until after
his marriage to Ruth Newcomb, who was born and reared on a farm in
Adams township, this county, south of Rosewood. He and his wife located
at once on the farm where Sheppard Hall now lives, and lived there the
remainder of their lives. They were the parents of ten children, six of
whom are now living: Henry, a resident of Starke county, Indiana; Oliver,
living in Whitley county, Indiana; Harden, a farmer of Adams township:
Eliza A., wife of Thomas Wirt, a farmer living south of Carysville, Ohio;
Joel, living in Logan county. Ohio, and Sheppard. the immediate subject
of this review. German Hall and wife were earnest and consistent members
of the Christian church at Carysville, Ohio, taking an active part in church
affairs. He was a Democrat in politics, but l)eing a quiet, unassuming man.
took no active part in politics.
Sheppard Hall was born and reared on the farm where he is now
living, and has lived all his life. He was a student in the district schools
of his home township. After his marriage he settled on the home place,
which is a fine farm of forty acres where Mr. Hall is very successfully
engaged in general farming and stock raising, ranking among the progress-
ive and up-to-date farmers of Adams township.
In January. 1880. Sheppard Hall was united in marriage to Philena J.
Pine, a flaughter of \Villiam and Mariah fine, farmers of Harrison town-
CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO. 943
ship, this county, and to this union three children have been born : Marion
D., a farmer of Johnson township, this county; Etna Belle, wife of Charles
Chambers, a farmer of Adams township, and Clarence E., who lives at
home with his parents, and is employed in Rosewood, Ohio. The family
are active members of the United Brethren church at Rosewood, in which
church Mr. Hall has served as class leader for years. He is a Democrat
in politics, and takes an active interest in all local public affairs, having
served his township as clerk for two years. Fraternally, he is a member of
Lodge No. 253, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is past noble grand
of that order at Rosewood.
CHARLES WILLLAM WILLLAMS.
The late Charles W^illiam Williams, for years one of the best-known
and most progressive merchants of Mechanicsburg, who died at his home
in that city on May 6. 1905. and whose widow is still living there, was a native
of the state of Ohio, born at Mechanicsburg on May 4, 184?, son of
Richard Duxal and Jane (Cleggett) Williams. He early became engaged
in the mercantile business, continuing in that business at Mechanicsburg
until his death, which occurred on May 8, 1905. He was a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church and was for years regarded as one of
the most active supporters of the work of the local congregation, his fa-ther
before him also having been an active worker in the church. Politically,
he was a Republican and had ever given a good citizen's attention to local
civic affairs, interested in all movements having to do with the general
ui)buil(ling of his home community.
Mr. Williams was twice married. His first wife, who before her mar-
riage was ReJjecca Guy, died, leaving three children, Edwin, now of New
York City; Alta Rebecca, wife of Charles \\\ Martin, of Mechanicsburg,
and Frances G., a music teacher at Columbus, this state. On September
26, 1878, C. W. \\'illiams married Alary H. Horr, who was born at Ale-
chanicsburg, in the propert\- now owned by Alilton Cheney. Alarch 7, 1854.
daughter of W^illiam and Alary (Cone) Horr.
Both W'illiam Horr and his wife were born in the village of Denmark,
not far from C^arthage, in Lewis county. New A^ork, where they grew up
and were married. .Vot Ion;;- afterward they drove through to Ohio and
located at Mechanicsburg, where William Horr bought a farm in the vicinit\-
944 CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO.
of the same, in Goshen townshi]:), and tliere estahhshed his honif, he and
his wife spending the remainder of their li\cs th.ere, useful and inlluential
members of that community. They were members of the Methodist Protest-
ant church and were active in g-oofl works. Air. Horr was a Repiiblican.
])ut was not particularly active in political affairs. He and his wife were
the parents of eight children, of whom six grew to maturit\-; th(jse besides
Mrs. Williams being Pierce, wdio died on the old home place in Goshen town-
ship, which place is still in th.e possession of the family; Jacob, who died
at Mechanicsburg ; A_nna, wife of V. S. Magruder, of Mechanics! uirg: Lewis,
of St. Joseph, Missouri, and William, of Richmond. Indiana. Mary H.
Plorr completed her schooling in the Mecli.anicsburg high school and grew
to womanhood on the home farm, where she was li\ing at the time of her
marriage to Mr. Williams. To that union were born four children, namel)- :
Richard, who died at the age of two years and six months: May. wife of
E. W. Johnson, who is making her home with her mother in .Mechanicsburg:
Helen J., wife of J. B. McConica, of Luceland. Canada, and Howard H., a
graduate of Harvard University in 1913. aged twenty-one years, enlisted in
May, 191 7, at New York City, in the Reserve Engineering Corps, now in
France, a first sergeant.
JOSEPH E. WING.
The late Joseph E. Wing, popularly known througlunit this section
of Ohio as "Joe, the Alfalfa King," on account of his ardent and intelligent
advocacy of alfalfa culture, state lecturer for farmers institutes and long a
staff correspondent of The Breeders Gazette, was a native of the great
Empire state, but had been a resident of this county since he was five years
of age, having come here with his parents in 1866, the family settling on
the place, Woodland Farm, in the vicinity of Mechanicsburg, which he
owned at the time of his death in 191 5 and where his widow is still living —
one of the best-cultivated farms in the state of Ohio. He was born on
September 14, 1861, son of William H. and Jane (BuUard) Wing, natives
of New York state, who were married near Hinsdale, that state, remaining
there until 1866, when they came to Ohio and settled on an eighty-acre
farm in the vicinity of Mechanicsburg, in Goshen township, this county,
where they established their home. They were the parents of five children,
of whom the subject of this memorial sketch was the second in order of
birth, the others being Edwin, Charles B.. Willis O. and Jennie May.
CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, OHIO. ;945
As noted abo.ve, Joseph E. Wing was but a child when he came to