Everett Schermerhorn Stackpole.

History of the town of Durham, New Hampshire : (Oyster River Plantation) with genealogical notes online

. (page 28 of 34)
Online LibraryEverett Schermerhorn StackpoleHistory of the town of Durham, New Hampshire : (Oyster River Plantation) with genealogical notes → online text (page 28 of 34)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jackson and extensively repaired.

Not far from the Falls, in the low ground called Follett's swamp
or Moharimet's swamp, Eli Dcmeritt built his log cabin on land
granted before 1700. It had one room and no cellar. Later
he built a log house of two rooms. His grandson, Capt. Samuel
Demeritt, built upon the same spot a framed house of two stories

' A picture of this house appeared inGranite Monthly, vol. xxxiii, page 429.



HISTORY OF DURHAM 35!

in front with a lean-to. The brick for the chimney were from old
England, and the bottom of the oven was of tiles, eight inches
square, which had a crown stamped on one side with lettering.
In the present house, in possession of Albert DeMeritt, the
doors of the cupboards in the kitchen and dining room were from
the old house, and the upper part of the beaufet is in the attic.
In the sitting room and dining room hearths the tiles may still
be seen. Some of the windows were of diamond-shape, leaded
panes. The house was unpainted, ceiled and paneled. From
Capt. Samuel Demeritt the place was inherited by his son,
Israel, who built the present house in 1808. The brick were
made on the farm. Israel Demeritt was succeeded in ownership
by his son, Stephen, and from him it passed to the present owner,
who has added many acres to the farm. He is the great-great-
great-grandson of the Eli Demeritt to whom the land was granted
and laid out 31 May 1699. The farm is one of the largest and
most productive in Durham, and the house and well-shaded lawn,
with outlook upon broad meadows, are a delight to one who
appreciates home comforts and rural scenery.

Across the fields another Demeritt house was built by Capt.
Nathaniel Demeritt, brother of Israel above named. It was
rebuilt by Capt. Nathaniel and his son, the Rev. William De-
meritt, about 1819. The first was a one story and a. half
house. The present house, beneath the old elms, is owned by
George P. Demeritt, son of the Rev. William.

The Bunker garrison house was probably built by James
Bunker soon after 1652, when he bought the land on which
its ruins now lie. The walls, except the gable ends, were of hewn
hemlock legs, nine inches in thickness. There were loopholes
for defence, afterward enlarged into windows. This was the
last remaining garrison of Oyster River that w^as attacked by the
Indians in 1694. It seems to be decayed and fallen beyond
the power of restoration. The plan of this garrison is pre-
sented through the courtesy of the Society for the Preservation
of New England Antiquities. See page 63.

Woodman's garrison was built by Capt. John Woodman
soon after 1656, when he came to Oyster River. In 1660 he
had a grant of twenty acres between lands of William Beard
and Valentine Hill. Miss Mary P. Thompson thus describes it:
"It is beautifully situated on the eastern slope of a hill at the



352



HISTORY OF DURHAM



head of Beard's creek, with brooks and deep ravines on every
side of the acdivity, except at the west. It has a fine outlook
for an approaching enemy, as well as a charming view in every
direction, except in the rear, where the rise of land intercepts




z

o

en

2

<

■J

<
s

Q

O



the prospect. Durham village, which did not exist when this
garrison was built, lies at the south in full view, embosomed
among trees; and at the east may be traced the windings of
Oyster River on its way to the Pascataqua. At the north, through



HISTORY OF DURHAM



353



an opening between the hills, can be seen the spot where the
Huckins garrison stood; and nearer at hand, but separated from




Woodman Garrison
Destroyed by fire November 1896

it by a profound ravine, is the field where occurred the massacre
of 1689."^

This garrison was destroyed by fire, 8 November 1896, a

'Landmarks in Ancient Dovor, p. 179.
23




o

Oh

s
o

X
H

w
u

J
o
U

O

w
u

w

Q

(/)

w




z

o

tn

■s.
o



El]

»-<

u
'-)

J

J

o
u

o



CQ



3 56 HISTORY OF DURHAM

loss that caused sadness to every lover of the town's historic
memorials. Fortunately good photographs exist of the garrison
as it was in its best days, and some thoughtful and prompt
artist secured snap shots of it while it was burning.

The garrison built by David Davis at Lubberland in 1695 is
probably the same as the Smith garrison, having been acquired
by Lieut. John Smith some time after David Davis was killed
by Indians, 27 August 1696. Later it was known as Frost's
garrison and Blydenburgh's garrison. It was taken down only
a few years ago and the road now runs over its site. A good
pictureof it has been preserved. See page 34.

Another garrison was built by David Davis, son of the above
named, at Packer's Falls, early in the eighteenth century, where
five generations of David Davises have lived. The original
garrison was located on a knoll in the center of the field
back of its present location, to which it was moved prior to
1790 in order to be on the highway. Additions have been
made by later generations, so that the garrison of pre-
Revolutionary times forms but a part of the present building,
occupied by Eben Meserve Davis.

The Pendergast garrison is still standing and occupied. It
was probably built by Stephen Pendergast, who acquired land
here near Packer's Falls, in 1735.

Half a mile from Durham village, toward Madbury, on an
elevated space to which the road gently ascends, is the house
built by Judge Ebenezer Thompson soon after the Revolution
on land that has been in possession of the Thompson family from
the first grant, in 1694. The house was erected on the site of an
older one, in which Judge Thompson was born. It is a typical
rural dwelling of the well-to-do persons of that time, squarely
built around a huge chimney, with large rooms of low ceiling,
a fireplace in every room, heavy mouldings and cornices and
a lot of wainscoting. It is still painted white, with green blinds,
the best combination of house colors New England has ever
had. It was a year's work for a carpenter to prepare the exterior
and interior finishing material. In the hall-chamber, specially
reserved for guests, the same paper is on the walls that was
there a century ago. On this spot Judge Thompson entertained
many of the leading men of the Revolutionary period, and in this
house he was often consulted on politics, medicine and law. It



HISTORY OF DURHAM 357

was in the "hall-room," or parlor that he fell from his chair
and instantly expired, in 1802.

An east two-story wing was added to the house by its present
owner, Col. Lucien Thompson, in 1895, and in it he has the rare
library, photographs and souvenirs that his aunt, Mary P.
Thompson, gathered during her years spent in Europe. Here
is a very valuable collection of historical and genealogical ma-
terial that several generations have been acquiring. One would
have to search long in New Hampshire to find its equal in any
private house.

The spacious lawn and shade trees, the commodious barn,
stable and carriage house, the fertile acres and the orchard of
five hundred trees, make the visitor envy or congratulate the
owner. If the visitor has the true riches of the soul, then it is
congratulation and not envy.

The residence of Forrest S. Smith was built in 1803 by Major
Daniel Smith and his son. Major Winthrop Smith. The former
house stood farther back from the turnpike, on ascending ground
down the lane which led to the Dover road. It was a two-story
house in front, sloping off to one story in the rear. Tradition
says that Major Daniel Smith insisted on having the big chimney
in the center of this house after the style of those days, so
that at the gatherings of the militia they could march around the
chimney at the evening festivities, after the training was over.
This was the grand promenade that preceded the dancing.

The present house is beautifully situated among shade trees
and affords a fine view of Oyster River and Little Bay. It has
been extensively repaired. Heat, running water and bathroom
bring the modern conveniences of the city to the roominess, quiet,
restfulness and hospitality of the country. At many a week's
end a party from Boston alights from a large touring car at the
front gate, for the old-fashioned front yard, filled with flowers
and shrubs and protected by ornamental fence, still preserves one
of the best rural traditions. Several hundred acres of fertile
land certainly add to the attractiveness of the place. It is said
that the difference between the farmer and the agriculturalist is
this, that the farmer makes his money in the country to spend it
in the city, while the agriculturalist makes his money in the city
to spend it in the country; but Forrest S. Smith was a successful
farmer before he began to be an agriculturalist. Here the re-




a

H

en
in

H

en

«
O

O

w
u
;^

M
Q
t/l
M



HISTORY OF DURHAM



359



markably youthful mother of four score years finds rest and offers
it to friends, contented to linger longer amid beautiful earthly
surroundings before moving into the mansion in the skies.

The last illustration of this chapter is presented, not because
it is one of the old houses, but it is a new house on an old site
and serves to contrast former days with the present. It is the




4tlM<Mi^^I^



Summer Cami* of Emsha R. Brown
Near site of Meader Garrison



summer camp of Elisha R^ Brown of Dover, president of the
Strafford National Bank. It is built near the site of the Meader
garrison, at what was first known as "Hills Neck." The land
was long in the possession of the Meader family. On this neck
of land, between Royall's Cove and the mouth of Oyster River,
the three towns, Dover, Madbury and Durham, meet at Tickle
Point. The view from Mr. Brown's camp takes in Little Bay
and its islands and the Newington and Durham shores. Dover



36o



HISTORY OF DURHAM



Neck is in the distance toward the east. Mr. Brown married
Frances, daughter of Dr. Alphonso and Mary Joanna (Smith)
Bickford, and thus is connected with two of the oldest famiUes
of Durham, as may be seen in the genealogical part of this
history. It may be added that on this neck of land was once




Interior of Mr. Brown's Camp



laid out Franklin City, a booming tow^n on paper, which the
building of Pascataqua bridge was expected to develop. The
dream soon vanished. The lots are there still, but the only
house built there was long ago moved up toward the Falls. ^

' For further description of this place and its surroundings, as well as biography of Mr.
Brown, see Granite Mo> My for September 1912, article written by John Scales, A. M.



LISTS OF TOWN OFFICERS



Moderators

Before the separation of Durham from Dover, 1732, the fol-
lowing men from Oyster River Parish served as moderators of
Dover town meetings, Capt. John Woodman in 1675, Col. James
Davis in 1702, 17 13, 1715, 1720-21, 1728-31, Capt. Francis
Mathes in 1728, and Capt. Stephen Jones in 1730 and 1731.
The moderators since the formation of the town of Durham have
been the following.



732
733
734

735

736
737
738
739

740
741
742

743
744

745
746,
747
748
749
750
751
752
753
754
755
757
758
759
761



Col. James Davis.

Lieut. Jonathan Thompson.

Lieut. Samuel Smith.

Col. James Davis.

Lieut. Samuel Smith.

Col. James Davis.

Col. James Davis.

Lieut. Jonathan Thompson.

Col. James Davis.

Col. James Davis.

Lieut. Stephen Jones.

James Davis, Esq.

Col. James Davis.

Capt. Stephen Jones.

James Davis, Esq.

John Woodman.

Samuel Smith, Esq.

Stephen Jones.

Capt. Jonathan Thompson.

Samuel Smith.

Samuel Smith.

Lieut. Philip Chesley.

Lieut. Philip Chesley.

Joseph Thomas.

Joseph Thomas.

Joseph Sias.

Joseph Thomas.

William Drew.

Lieut. Philip Chesley.

Benjamin Smith,

Huhiiard Stevens.

William Drew.

Joseph Thomas.



1762,

1763,
1764,

1765,
1766,

1768,
1769,
1770,

1771,
1772,

1773,
1774,

1775,



1776,



I



/ / /t



1778,

1779,

1780,
1781,

1782,



Joseph Atkinson, Esq.
Joseph Atkinson, Esq.
Joseph Atkinson, Esq.
Capt. Benjamin Smith.
Dea. Hubbard Stevens.
Ephraim Davis.
Maj. Stephen Jones.
Joseph Atkinson, Esq.
Dea. Hubbard Stevens.
Joseph Atkinson.
Valentine Mathes, Esq.
Joseph Atkinson, Esq.
Valentine Mathes, Esq.
Joseph Atkinson.
Valentine Mathes.
Moses Emerson.
George Frost, Esq.
Maj. Stephen Jones.
Mr. Ephraim Davis.
George Frost, Esq.
Mr. Ephraim Davis.
George Frost, Esq.
Maj. Stephen Jones.
\'alentine -Mathes, Esq.
Maj. Stephen Jones.
\'alentine Mathes, Esq.
Col. Samuel Chesley.
Hon. George Frost, Esq.
Valentine Mathes, Esq.
George Frost, Esq.
Maj. Gen. John Sullivan.
Valentine Mathes, Esq.
Hon. Juhn Sullivan, Esq.



361



362



HISTORY OF DURHAM



1783, Hon. John Sullivan, Esq.
Ebenezer Thompson, Esq.

1784, Hon. John Sullivan.

1785, Col. Samuel Chesley.

1786, Hon. M. G. John Sullivan.
Capt. Joseph Young.

1787, His Excellency, John Sullivan,

Esq.

1788, His Excellency, John Sullivan,

Esq.

1789, Hon. George Frost, Esq.

1790, Hon. Ebenezer Thompson, Esq.

1 791, Hon. Ebenezer Thompson, Esq.

1792, Col. Samuel Adams.
Ebenezer Thompson, Esq.

1793, John Blydenburgh.
Valentine Mathes, Esq.

1794) John Blydenburgh.
Valentine Mathes.

1795, John Blydenburgh.

1796, John Blydenburgh.
Samuel Adams.
Capt. Joseph Young.

1797, Ebenezer Smith, Esq.
Col. Samuel Adams.

1798, John Blydenburgh.
William Ballard.
Col. Samuel Adams.

1799, Ebenezer Thompson, Jr.

1800, Ebenezer Thompson, Jr.
Ebenezer Smith, Esq.
Andrew Simpson.

1801, John Blydenburgh.

1802, Col. Timothy Emerson.
Jonathan Steele, Esq.

1803, Col. Timothy Emerson.

1804, Andrew Simpson.
Jonathan Steele, Esq.
Col. Timothy Emerson.

1805, Mr. Andrew Simpson.

1806, Ebenezer Smith, Esq.
Ebenezer Doe.

1807, Ebenezer Smith, Esq.

1808, Ebenezer Smith, Esq.
Mr. John Frost.

1809, Andrew Simpson.

1810, John Frost.

181 1, Jonathan Steele.



1 812, George Frost.
Jonathan Steele.

813, George Frost.

814, George Frost.
George Hull.

815, Ichabod Bartlett.

816, Ichabod Bartlett.
Benjamin Mathes, Jr.

817, Daniel Mathes.

818, Joseph Coe.

819, Joseph Coe.

820, Joseph Chesley, 3d.
Jacob Odell.

821, Joseph Chesley, 3d.

822, Joseph Chesley, 3d.
Winthrop Smith.

823, Joseph Chesley, 3d.

824, Joseph W. Page.

825, James Langley.

826, John A. Richardson.

827, George Hull.

828, George Ffrost.
Richard Ela.

829, Moses Noble.

830, Joseph Chesley, 3d.

831, Joseph W. Page.

832, Joseph W. Page.

833, John A. Richardson.

834, George Hull.

835, John A. Richardson.

836, Benjamin Doe.

837, George Hull.

838, Dr. Richard Steele.

839, Benjamin Kelly.

840, Stephen Demeritt.

841, Stephen Demeritt.

842, James Langley.

843, Stephen Demeritt.

844, Stephen Demeritt.

845, Stephen Demeritt.
John A. Richardson.
Seth S. Walker.

846, William J. Chesley.

847, John S. Shaw.

848, William J. Chesley.

849, Joseph S. Burnham.

850, Joseph S. Burnham.

851, Daniel Smith.



HISTORY OF DURHAM



363



1852,

1853,
1854,
1855,
1856,

1857,
1858,
i860,



1861,
1862,
1863,
1864,
1865,
1866,
1867,
1868,

J 869,

1870,
1871,
1872,

1873,

1874,

1875,
1876,



Daniel- Smith.
Greenleaf Nute.
Stephen Demeritt.
Stephen Demeritt.
Cyrus G. Hull.
John S. Woodman.
Joseph S. Burnham.
Henry A. Drew.
Henry A. Drew.
Cyrus G. Hull.
William Wiggin.
William Wiggin.
Cyrus G. Hull.
Cyrus G. Hull.
James M. Bunker.
James M. Bunker.
Joseph Smith.
Joseph S. Burnham.
Joseph S. Burnham.
Joseph C. Bartlett.
Joseph S. Burnham.
Hamilton A. Mathes.
Hamilton A. Mathes.
Hamilton A. Mathes.
Jeremiah Langley.
Joshua B. Smith.
Joshua B. Smith.
Joshua B. Smith.
Joshua B. Smith.



1877, Joshua B. Smith.

1878, Joshua B. Smith.

1879, Albert DeMeritt.

1880, Albert DeMeritt.
Joshua B. Smith.

1881, Joshua B. Smith.

1882, Cyrus G. Hull.
Albert DeMeritt.

1883, Cyrus G. Hull.

1884, Hamilton A. Mathes.

1885, Albert DeMeritt.

1886, Albert DeMeritt.

1887, Albert DeMeritt.

1888, Albert DeMeritt.'

1889, Albert DeMeritt.

1890, Albert DeMeritt.
Hamilton A. Mathes.

1891, Hamilton A. Mathes.

1892, Lucien Thompson, for two

years.
1894, Lucien Thompson, for two

years.
1896, Lucien Thompson, for two

years.
1898, Winthrop S. Meserve, for two

years.
1900-13, Arioch W. Griffiths.
1913, Albert DeMeritt, ^ro /em.'



Town Clerks



1732-36, Francis Mathes.
1736-61, Samuel Smith.
1761-66, Joseph Smith.
1766-74, Ebenezer Thompson.
1774-92, John Smith, 3cl.
1792-93, William Smith.
1793, 1802, Ebenezer Thompson.
1802-19, Valentine Smith.
1819-23, Alfred Smith.
1823-27, Moses Noble.
1827-38, V^alentine Smith.
1838-40, Samuel Burnham.
1840-44, Benjamin Kelly.

1844, Samuel P. Chesley.

1845, John A. Richardson.



1846-51, Joseph Coe.
1851-56, Joshua B. Smith.
1856-64, Samuel Runlett.
1864-68, John W. E. Thompson.
1868-72, Samuel Runlett.
1872-74, \'alentine Mathes, Jr.

1874, Samuel Runlett.

1875, Calvin Sanders.
1876-80, Walentine Mathes, Jr.
1880-87, Samuel Runlett, Jr.

1887, Jasper Mc Daniel, resigned.
1887, Samuel Runlett, Jr.
1 888-1904, George D. Stevens.
1904-13, Charles Wentworth.



364



HISTORY OF DURHAM



Representatives for Dover from Oyster River Parish



1652-57,

1684,

1690,

1692-95,

1696,

1697-98,

1699,

1701,

1703,



1732,
1733-34,
1735,
1736-40,

1741-44,

1745-47,

1748-51,

1752-55,

1756-58,

1759-65,

1766-75,

1776-83,

1784,

1785-86,

1786-87,

1788,

1789-90,

1791,

1792-93,

1793-95,

1796,

1797-99,

1800-03,

1804,

1805,

1806,

1807,

1808-10,

1811-13,

1814-15,
1816-17,
1818-19,
1820,



Valentine Hill.
John Woodman.
Capt. John Woodman.
John Woodman.
Thomas Chesley.
James Davis.
Capt. John Woodman.
James Davis.
Nathaniel Hill.



1704-06, Capt. John Woodman.
1706-09, Lieut. Nathaniel Hill.
1715, Stephen Jones.
17 15-17, James Davis.
1722, James Davis

1727, John Smith.

1728, Capt. Francis Mathes.
1 73 1, Capt. Francis Mathes.



Representatives of Durham



Francis Mathes. 1821-22,

Lieut. Samuel Smith. 1823,

Jonathan Chesley. 1824-25,

Samuel Smith. 1826-27,

Jonathan Thompson. 1828,

Jonathan Chesley. 1829-30,

Jonathan Thompson. 1831-32,

Joseph Thomas. 1833-34,

Stephen Jones, Jr. 1835-36,

Joseph Smith. 1837-38,

Ebenezer Thompson. 1839,

John Smith, 3d. 1840-41,

Ebenezer Smith, Esq. 1842,

Maj. Gen. John Sullivan. 1843,

Ebenezer Thompson, Esq. 1844,
John Sullivan, Speaker of 1844,

the House. 1845-46,

Ebenezer Smith, Esq. 1847,

No election. 1848-49,

Ebenezer Smith, Esq. 1850,

Ebenezer Thompson, Jr. 1851-52,

Voted not to send. 1853-54,

Ebenezer Thompson, Jr. 1855,

William Ballard. 1856-57,

Capt. Jonathan Chesley. 1858-59,

Jonathan Steele, Esq. 1860-61,

Valentine Smith. 1862,

George Frost. 1863,

Valentine Smith. 1864,

Joseph Coe. 1865-66,

Valentine Smith. 1867,

Joseph Coe. 1868-69,

Daniel Mathes. 1870,

Robert Mathes. 1871,



Benjamin Mathes, Jr.
Robert Mathes.
John Mooney.
Andrew G. Smith.
No election.
Benjamin Kelly.
George Hull.
Samuel Burnham.
Abraham Mathes.
Stephen Demeritt.
John Mooney.
Samuel Burnham.
Winthrop Smith.
Mark Willey.
Winthrop Smith.
Stephen Demeritt.
Ebenezer Thompson.
James Langley.
George J. Wiggins.
Mark Willey.
Moses H. Wiggins.
Joseph S. Burnham.
Leonard B. Smith.
Benjamin Doe.
Andrew L. Simpson. -,
Andrew D. McDaniel.
William F. Jones.
Henry A. Drew.
William F. Jones.
Joshua B. Smith.
James M. Bunker.
Lafayette Hall.
Jacob Mathes.
James M. Smart.



HISTORY OF DURHAM



365



1872-73,


Thomas H. VVisvvall.


1892,


Ira B. Hill.


1874,


Alfred Hoitt.


1894,


Jabez H. Stevens.


1875-76,


Hamilton A. Alathes.


1896,


Daniel Chesley.


1877-78


Eben M. Davis.


1898,


Charles E. Hoitt.


1878,


Joshua B. Smith.


1900,


James W. Burnham


1880,


John W. E. Thompson


1902,


Charles S. Langley.


1882,


Cyrus G. Hull.


1904,


Charles Wentworth


1884,


Mark H. Alathes.


iyo6,


Charles A. Smart.


1886,


Lucien Thompson.


1908,


David H. Fogg.


1888,


James W. Burnham.


1910,


Albert DeMeritt.


1890,


Jeremiah Langley.


1912,

Selectmen


Albert DeMeritt.



The selectmen of Dover, before Durham became a separate
township, have been pubHshed in the Historical Memoranda of
Ancient Dover. A few Oyster River men figure in those lists,
such as Valentine Hill, Robert Burnham, John Davis, John
Bickford, John Woddman, James Davis, Nathaniel Hill, Stephen
Jones, Thomas Chesley, Francis Mathes, John Smith, Capt.
Samuel Chesley, etc. The following is the list after Oyster River
Parish became the town of Durham:

1732, Lieut. Samuel Smith, F"rancis Mathes, Lieut. Jonathan Tomson,
Thomas Drew, Capt. Jonathan Chesley.

1733, Lieut. Jonathan Tomson, Frances Mathes, John Williams, Jr., John
Woodman, Joseph Jones, Jr.

1734, Mr. Thomas Drew, Lieut. Jonathan Tomson, Lieut. Samuel Smith, Mr.
John Woodman, Francis Mathes.

1735, Lieut. Jonathan Tomson, Francis Mathes, Mr. Thomas Drew, Mr. John
Woodman, Lieut. Samuel Smith.

1736, Lieut. Stephen Jones, Jr., Mr. Joseph Drew, Mr. Nathan" Randal, Ml
Joseph Thomas, Walter Bryant.

1737, John Woodman, Samuel Smith, Francis Mathes, Jonathan Tomson,
Wm. Drew.

1738, Jonathan Tomson, John Williams, Jr., Joseph Whelor.

1739, Jonathan Tomson, Benjamin Smith, John Williams.

1740, Jonathan Tomson, Benjamin Smith, John Williams.

1741, Jonathan Tomson, John Williams, Jr., Benjamin Smith.

1742, Ephraim Davis, Ebenezer Smith, Joseph .Atkinson.

1743, Ebenezer Smith, Joseph Atkinson, Ephraim Davis.

1744, Samuel Smith, Esq., Joseph Whelor, William Drew.

1745, Samuel Smith, John Williams, Joseph Chesley.

1746, Samuel Smith, John Williams, Jonathan Tomson.

1747, Samuel Smith, Joseph Whelor, Joseph Thomas.

1748, Samuel Smith, Joseph Whelor, Joseph Thomas.

1749, Samuel Smith. Joseph Whelor, Joseph Thomas.



366 HISTORY OF DURHAM

1750, Samuel Smith, Joseph Whelor, Joseph Thomas.

1 75 1, Samuel Smith, Joseph Thomas, Joseph Whelor.

1752, Samuel Smith, Joseph Thomas, Joseph Whelor.

1753, W'illiam Drew, Benjamin Alathes, James Smith.

1754, William Drew, Benjamin Mathes, James Smith.

1755, Ebenezer Smith, Joseph Smith, Joseph Sias.

1756, Ebenezer Smith, Joseph Smith, Joseph Sias.

1757, Benjamin Smith, Joseph Smith, Joseph Sias.

1758, Miles Randal, Jeremiah Burnum, Jr., Joseph Smith.
1759) Joseph Smith, Jeremiah Burnum, Jr., Miles Randal.

1760, Miles Randall, Jeremiah Burnum, Joseph Smith.

1761, Joseph Smith, Miles Randal, Jeremiah Burnum.

1762, Joseph Thomas, Robert Thompson, Jr., Jonathan Woodman.

1763, Lieut, Joseph Thomas, Joseph Smith, Esq., Lieut. Joseph Sias.

1764, Joseph Smith, Joseph Thomas, Joseph Sias.

1765, Joshua Cromet, Hercules Moony, Ebenezer Thompson.

1766, Joshua Crommet, Ebenezer Thompson, John Smith, 3d, Nicholas Duda^,
and Robert Thompson for Lee.

1767, Joshua Cromet, Ebenezer Thompson, John Smith, 3d.

1768, Joshua Cromet, Ebenezer Thompson, John Smith, 3d.

1769, Joshua Cromett, Ebenezer Thompson, John Smith, 3d.
^770, Joshua Cromet, Ebenezer Thompson, John Smith, 3d.
^77^) Joshua Cromet, Ebenezer Thompson, John Smith, 3d.

1772, Lieut. John Smith, Alpheus Chesley, Jonathan Woodman, 3d.

1773, John Smith, Esq., John Smith, 3d, Lieut. Samuel Chesley.

1774, John Smith, 3d, Lieut. Samuel Chesley, John Smith, Esq.
I775> Samuel Chesley, John Smith, 3d, Trueworthy Durgin, Jr.

1776, Col. Samuel Chesley, John Smith, 3d, Trueworthy Durgin, Jr., George
Frost, Esq., appointed as Durgin had died.

1777, Dea. Nathaniel Norton, Mr. Jonathan Chesley, Mr. Nathaniel Hill.

1778, Mr. Jonathan Chesley, Capt. Timothy Emerson, Mr. Elijah Drew.

1779, Mr. Jonathan Chesley, John Smith, 3d, Col. Samuel Chesley.

1780, Col. Samuel Chesley, John Smith, 3d, Mr. Jonathan Chesley.

1781, Col. Samuel Chesley, John Smith, 3d, Jonathan Chesley, Honble^.
George Frost, Esq., Mr. Andrew Drew.

1782, Lt. John Smith, 4th, Capt. John Griffin, Mr. Stephen Cogan.

1783, Capt. John Griffin, Mr. Stephen Cogan, Ebenezer Smith.

1784, Capt. John Griffin, Mr. Stephen Cogan, Mr. Ebenezer Smith.

1785, Mr. Ebenezer Smith, Mr. John Clough, Capt. John Griffin.

1786, Capt. John Griffin, Mr. Ebenezer Smith, Mr. John Clough.

1787, Capt. John Griffin, Mr. Ebenezer Smith, Mr. John Clough.

1788, Col. Samuel Chesley, John Smith, 3d., Mr. John Blydenburgh.

1789, Ebenezer Smith, Esq., Mr. John Clough, Col. Timothy Emerson.

1790, Ebenezer Smith, Esq., Mr. John Clough, Mr. James Leighton.



Online LibraryEverett Schermerhorn StackpoleHistory of the town of Durham, New Hampshire : (Oyster River Plantation) with genealogical notes → online text (page 28 of 34)