Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 108 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 108 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


daughter of Rev. Dudley Leavitt, of Northwood.
Seven children were born of this marriage :
Frank, born in 1842, died in 1906 ; Mary,
born in 1844. died in 1861 : William M., born in
1846, is cashier of the Craft Shoe Manufacturing
Company of Manchester; Sarah E., born in 1847,
is the wife of George W. Hill, of Concord : Dudley
L., mentioned below; Rev. Harrison W., pastor of
the Baptist Church at Pittsfield, was born in 1850,
and died in May, 1898; Carrie F., born May, 1852,
married Frank M. Knowles, of Concord.

(VII) Dudley L., fifth child and third son of
Samuel H. and Mary (Leavitt) Furber, was born
in Northwood, August 18, 1848. At an early age
he left the homestead and went into the employ of
Pillsbury Brothers, manufacturers of shoes, at
Northwood, and was afterward employed in the
same business in Lynn, Massachusetts, and New
York City. In 1872 he took charge of a department
in the establishment of John F. Cloutman, and was
employed there thirteen years. He then began
the manufacture of shoes on his own account at
Northwood, and carried on that business eight
years. In 1893 he established himself in Dover,
where he has since been successfully engaged in the
manufacture of ladies' and gentlemen's special
shoes. In politics Mr. Furber is a Democrat, and
as such represented Farmington in the legislature
in 1883. He is now a member of the board of wa-
ter commissioners of Dover. He has been a mem-



ber of the Masonic order since 1872, having taken
the first three degrees in Tucker Lodge, in North
Bennington, Vermont. He is now a member of
Moses Paul Lodge No. 96. of Dover, and also of
the Knights .of Pythias. He married, 1874, Cora.
C. Carlton, of Farmington, who was born in Farm-
ington, daughter of Captain Ralph and Amanda.
(Pearl) Carleton.



The first of this name mentioned in
MUDGETT the Colonial Records is Thomas

Mudget, of Salisbury, Massachu-
setts, who married (perhaps for his second wife),
October 8, 1665, Sarah Morrell, eldest daughter of
Abraham (i). "Their children were Mary and Tem-
perance. Another Thomas of Salisbury was per-
haps a son of this Thomas. The family is one com-
paratively limited in number. None were in the
Revolution from Massachusetts ; and only four
from New Hampshire.

(I) Elisha Mudgett, a native of Massachusetts,
settled in Sandwich, New Hampshire, and engaged,
in farming.

(II) Samuel, son of Elisha Mudgett, was born
in Sandwich, New Hampshire, in 1805. He was
educated in the common schools, and in early life
learned the dyer's trade, and was employed in mills
in Lowell and Lawrence, Massachusetts, and be-
came an expert in his business. In 1885 he bought
a farm of one hundred acres in Meredith, where he
lived the remainder of his life. He was a deacon
in the Free Will Baptist Church, and was a highly
respected and influential man. In politics he was-
a Democrat, and was elected by his fellow towns-
men as road surveyor, justice of the peace, and se-
lectman. He married Sarah Eaton, who was bom
in Alton. Her parents were Josiah and Hannah
Eaton. The children of Samuel and Sarah M.
(Eaton) Mudgett, were: Rhoda, Hannah, Hora-
tio, and George M., whose sketch next follows.

(HI) George M., youngest child of Samuel and
Sarah M. (Eaton) Mudgett. was born in Sandwich,
February 3, 1846. He was educated in the public
schools of Lawrence, and at Comas Business Col-
lege in Boston. Aftei the settlement of the family
in Sandwich, Mr. Mudgett woi^ked on the farm un-
til November, 1862, when he enlisted in Company
B, Fourth Regiment Volunteer Infantry. He was
under command of General Banks, and saw service
at Port Hudson, Louisiana, where he was under
fire forty days. After leaving the army he was en-
gaged in shoe manufacturing in Danvers and Hav-
erhill, Massachusetts. In 1869 he went to Colorado,
and was engaged in mining in the vicinity of Den-
ver, being superintendent of a mine and proficient'
as an assayer. His father being advanced in years
and in feeble health, Mr. Mudgett returned to New
Hampshire, and took charge of the farm until his
father's death, and has since resided there. He is
still interested in mining, and owns a one-half in-
terest in the Uncle Ned Mine, in Novia Scotia.
He is a member of the American Mechanics in
which order he has held minor offices, and is also
a member of the Knights of Pythias, in which he-
has filled the office of Sir Knight. He married Cora
D. Dodge. They have one child, Charles.



Family tradition states that the im-
BOSTON migrant ancestor came from England

to American and settled in or near
Wells, Maine, in the eighteenth century. Another
version of the early history of the family is that
the immigrant came from Scotland. Deficient rec-
ords preclude the possibility of a complete earljr



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1913



record of the race. Hannah Boston was a member
of Rev. Air. Emery's chinxh in Wells. His pastorate
of twenty years began in 1701. Major John Storer
enlisted a company of men in Wells to be a part of
Sir William PepperelTs force in the expedition
which captured Louisburg, the stronghold of France
in America, in 1744. Gershom Boston, Joseph Bos-
ton. Shebuleth Boston and Thomas Boston were of
this company. Shebuel and Thomas Boston were
left in Louisburg, but probably returned after their
companions.

(I) Joseph Boston, according to family tradition,
was born in England, and settled in Wells, Maine,
in the eighteenth century; it is more probable that
he was born in Wells. He followed the sea and
was drowned. He married an Indian girl named
Newell, and they had one or more children.

(II) Oliver F. Boston, son of Joseph and

(Newell) Boston, was born in Wells, in 180S, and
died in 1S94. He was a shipbuilder. For many
years he was an active member of the Baptist
Church. He married Dorcas Moody. Their chil-
dren were: Lj-dia, who married Sylvester Grant;
Catherine, who married Ransom Crook ; Margaret,
who married Seth Rowc ; Oliver F., who settled
at Barrington, New Hampshire : Stephen, mentioned
below ; Fannie, who married Harrison Foss ;
Agatha ; and Hannah, wife of George Marble.

(HI) Stephen A., fifth child and second son of
Oliver F. Dorcas (Moody) Boston, was born ir
South Berwick, ]Maine, May 17, 1841. He was en-
gaged in saw milling until 1893, when he removed
to Bennington, New Hampshire, and bought a farm
and has since been engaged in agriculture. He mar-
ried Hannah Giles, who was born in Dover, daugh-
ter of Daniel Giles. Twelve children have been
born to them : Frank H.. of Rochester ; Ida, de-
ceased : Charles Henry, of Haverhill, Massachu-
setts : IVIillie B.. wife of Herbert Traftoii; Stephen
A., deceased ; Oliver, deceased : Stephen A., men-
tioned below ; Harry E., of Exeter ; George Wilber,
of Dover; Dorcas; Almira ; and one who died in
infancy.

(IV) Stephen A. (2), seventh child and fifth
son of Stephen A. (i) and Hannah (Giles) Bos-
ton, was born in South Berwick, Maine, February
10, 1872. He was educated in the public schools
and at the academy at Somersworth, New Hamp-
shire. At eighteen years of age he went to Bostoj
and learned the trade of painter and decorator, re-
siding there seven years. He then entered the em-
ploy of the American Painting and Decorating
Company as foreman, and filled that place two
years. While with that company he had charge of
the work on the Mt Washington Hotel, and on
several other imporlant structures. In 190,3 Mr.
Boston started in business for himself in Dover,
and later admitted his brother, George W., tO' a
partnership, the firm assuming the style of Bosfon
Brothers. They hav(> been successful in business.
One of their latest pieces of work was the painting
and decorating of the Wentworth Hospital.

Mr. Boston married (first), 1895, Mamie Rich-
ardson. He married (second), 1900, Alvina Mars-
ton, of Exeter; (third), 1904. Julia Vatcher. who
was born in Dover, England, Alarch 12. 1885. By
his first wife there was one child, Alfred Noah,
born July 3, 1896; by the second wife one child.
Nellie E., born January 22, 1901.



an infant, and remained there until after the end
of the late Civil war.

About the time of the close of the war, George
Wesley, then a young man, returned to the north
and went to the state of Maine, where he took
up his residence at South Berwick, and for several
years afterward was an employee and foreman in
the Salmon Falls cotton mills. In i86g, while liv-
ing in that town, he married Katherine McGraw,
by whom he had eight children. In 1878 Mr. Wes-
ley moved with his family to Dover, New Hamp-
shire, and for a time was employed as a watchman,
and he also engaged in various other occupations,
for he a,lways was a man of modest means, a wage
earner, but industrious, frugal and of good habits.
Of his eight children four died young and one after
marriage. The children of George and Katherine
(McGraw) Wesley are as follows: Susie, married,
and is now dead; Charles Henry, died at the age
of six years : John H., now of Dover ; Katherine,
died in childhood; Sarah, died in infancy; George
B., died at the age of eight years ; and Maggie, wife
of Hubert Milieu.

John H. Weslej', present representative of ward
five of Dover in the New Hampshire legislature, is
third in the order of seniority, and eldest surviv-
ing son of George W. and Katherine (McGraw)
Wesley. He was born at South Berwick, Maine,
October 16, 1873, and was five years old when his
parents moved from that town to Dover. He was
educated in public schools and Franklin Academy,
and after leaving school at once turned his attention
to business pursuits. For the last twelve or more
years he has been popularly identified with the man-
agement of various theatrical and amusement enter-
prises, and during the last three or four years has
gained special prominence as one of the leaders
of the Democratic party in Dover, and also has
come to be recognized as an active figure in the
councils of that party in Strafford county. His de-
mocracy is of the true Jeffersonian order, and his
courageous advocacy- of party principles and his
unyielding loyalty to the cause of the workingman
has won for him a warm place in the hearts of the
people of his county, and rewarded his aspirations
for public office with unvarying success. He has
served several times in both branches of the mu-
nicipal government, and left the board of aldermen
in 1903 to occupy a seat in the lower house of the
state legislature. He is still a member of that
body by successive re-elections, and on the floor
of the house has ably championed the principles he
has stood, for before his constituents; and it was
he who introduced the bill amending section four-
teen of chapter one hundred and eighty of the pub-
lic statutes regulating the hours of labor of women
and minors. In 1904 he was elected a member of
the board of education of Dover, to serve for two
years, and received the unanimous vote of the
council and board of aldermen, which joint body
comprised five Democratic members and twenty from
the opposite political party. In 1906 he organized
what is known locally as the John W. Wesley
Hand Tub Association, a social organization for
advancing the interests of its members. He is
chairman of the executive committee of ward five
of Dover, ward clerk, member of the board of se-
lectmen and member of Portsmouth Aerie of the
Fraternal Order or Eagles.



George Wesley was born in the city

WESLEY of New York. December 25. 1849,

and was a son of Benjamin W^esley,

who went south with his family when George was



The name Hawkins is one of the

HAWKINS most common among the earliest

settlers in }ilassachusetts. Among

the heads of the families of this name in New Eng-



I9I4



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



land before 1650 are: Abraham, of Charlestown,
1642: Anthony, of Windsor, before 1644; George,
of Boston, 1644: James, of Boston, 1635; John, of
Boston, 1630; Richard, of Boston. 1637; Robert, of
Charlestown, 1635, and many others. The number
of persons of this name in New England in the
early Colonial times suggests that the Hawkins fam-
ily must have been mainly composed of Puritans.

(I) Amos A. Hawkins resided in Grafton, Mas-
sachusetts, where he was employed in the cotton
mills as a ring spinner. He died July 12, 1879, aged
fifty-nine. He married Angeline Davis, who was
born in Patchogue, Rhode Island, and died in War-
ren, Rhode Island, February 29, 1904. aged eighty-
two. Six children were born to this union: Fan-
nie C, Garophelia. Eliza Ann, Jessie, Franklin A.,
and William H. Fannie C. is single and resides in
Warren, Rhode Island. Garophelia (now de-
ceased), married Thomas Foshay, of Grafton Cen-
ter. Eliza Ann married Truman P. Fenton and
lives in Warren, Rhode Island. Jessie married
John Wilson, and resides in Taunton, Massachu-
setts. Franklin A. is mentioned below. William
H. resides in Providence. Rhode Island, where he
is an overseer of ring spinning in the Nantic
mills.

(II) Franklin A., eldest son and fifth child of
Amos A. and Angeline (Davis) Hawkins, was born
in Grafton. Massachusetts, July 23, i860. He
acquired his education in the schools of Grafton,
and at the age of eighteen became a spinner in the
cotton factories of Grafton. In 1889 he removed to
Lawrence, where he remained until 1899, as overseer
of the spinning department of the Atlantic cotton
mills. In 1899 he removed to Manchester, New
Hampshire, where he became overseer of the ring
frames, which position he still holds. He has charge
of one hundred and twenty employes who operate
twenty-five thousand spindles. It is a fact that
hardly needs to be mentioned that men who hold
responsible positions in the employ of great corpora-
tions like the Amoskeag are men of ample qualifica-
tions and always to be relied on. Mr. Hawkins is
a man of that character. His record is an honor-
able one. Mr. Hawkins and his wife and daugh-
ters are members of Congregational Church. He
is a RepuIiHcan but has nothing to do with politics.
He married. Februarv 18. 1879, at Grafton. Massa-
chusetts, Eliza J. McHenry. born May 7. 1858,
daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Barr) McHenry,
of Grafton, Massachusetts. Both her parents were
born in Scotland. The children of Mr. and Mrs.
Hawkins are: Elizabeth A., born March 31, 1881;
Mildred I.. August 26. 1883: Harry F., April 17.
1886, assistant overseer of ring spinning in the
Amoskeag mills ; Joseph A., July 4, 1888, died Jan-
uary 28, 1893; Sadie E., August 10, 1890; Florence
M.. November 9, 1892 ; Hazel J., November 28,
T896.



This family, though Ger-
RODELSPERGER man in both name "and na-
tionality, is descended from
Huguenot ancestors who were driven out from
France at the time of the Huguenot expulsion.

(I) Sebastian Rodelspcrger. was born in Hen-
bach, in 1771, and died September, 1840. aged sixty-
eight years. He Avas a farmer and had a farm of
one hundred acres which in most parts of Europe
is considered a considerable estate. He had three
children : Sebastian, Mary and Johann, the sub-
ject of the following paragraph.

(II) Johann. second son and third child of Se-
bastian Rodelsperger. was born in Henbach, Ger-



many, in 1817, and died in Giessen, 1890, aged sev-
enty-three years. He was educated at Freiburg,
Germany, and devoted his life to teaching, con-
tinuing until he was sixty-eight years old. He was
a thorouglily competent man and according to the
German custom spent most of his life in teaching
at one place, Lollar,. where he taught forty years.
He attended the Presbyterian Church. He mar-
ried, at Gruenberg, in 1849, Elizabeth Buck, of
Gruenberg, who was born at Gruenberg, 1819, and
died August, 1872, aged fifty-three. They had three
children : Emma, Herman and Sophia.

(Ill) Herman, second child and only son of
Johann and Elizabeth (Buck) Rodelsperger, was
born in Giessen, Herren, April 19, 1853. After
completing the course of study in the high school
of Giessen, from which he graduated in 1870, he
kept books for a large cigar manufacturing estab-
lishment for a time. In 1873 he came to the United
States, landing at New York from the steamship
"Deutschland," April 19, 1873. He engaged in the
sale of sewing machines for several years in dif-
ferent states. In 1S76 he entered a village school
in Hanover, New Hampshire, where he studied
one term to acquire a knowledge of the English
language. In 1879 he removed to ]\Ianchester, New
Hampshire, where he was the representative of the
Davis Sewing Machine Company for a year. The
following year he became a teacher in the Man-
chester German School, where he taught until 1889,
the last years of the time being principal of the
school. He then' formed a partnership with Rein-
hardt Hecker, under the firm name of Rodelsperger
& Hecker, grocers, and carried on that business un-
til 1890. Since 1890 Mr. Rodelsperger has con-
ducted a concert hall in West Manchester. He is
also engaged in the real estate and insurance busi-
ness, and is agent for the sale of steamship tickets.
He is a justice of the peace and a notary public.
Mr. Rodelsperger is one of the most active and
energetic among the German population of Man-
chester, and takes a sincere interest in promoting
their welfare. He has been president of the Ger-
man school board for three years past. He is pres-
ident of the Turner Society and is a member of
every German society in the city, in all of which
he is or has been an officer. In politics he is an in-
dependent.

He was a member of the New Hampshire legis-
lature of 1907 and now is a member of the commit-
tee on education. He married, October 10, 1887, in
Manchester, Anna Winkler, who was born in Lieb-
enstein, Austria, 1865, daughter of Johann and
Elizabeth Winkler, of Liebenstein. They have six
children : Emma, Bertha, Minnie, Maria, Agnes
and Anna.



This family is of Welsh origin and its
COIT American branch was established in Con-
necticut. Some of its representatives
have acquired distinction as preachers, and a large
number of them have been closely identified with re-
ligious work.

(I) John Coit, the immigrant, who was proba-
bly of Glamorganshire. Wales, arrived in New Eng-
land between the years 1630 and 1638. going first
to Salem, Massachusetts, where land was granted
him the latter year, and in 1644 he removed to
Gloucester. He was made a freeman in 1647 : was
a selectman in Gloucester in 1648. and the name of
his son John appears in the records of that town at
the same period. With other Gloucester residents
he went in 1640 to New London, Connecticut, where
he acquired land on the water front and there he





■OAaJ




NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1915



followed his trade, that of a ship-carpenter. The
■"History of New London" states that he died there
August 29, 1659. He was married in Wales to
Mary Gammers, or Jemmers, and she died January
2, 1676, aged eighty years. His son John, previously
mentioned, remained in Gloucester. His will, made
in August, 1659, provides for his son Joseph, his
daughters Mary and Martha, and mentions two
sons and two daughters as being "absent from
him." One of these was John, and as the names of
the other three do not appear in the records of
Gloucester or New London, it is quite probable that'
they remained on the other side of the ocean.

(H) Deacon Joseph, son of John and Mary
(Jemmers) Coit, was probably born in Salem, and
followed the trade of a ship-carpenter in New Lon-
don. In company with his brother-in-law, Hugh
Mould, he engaged in building vessels, and among
those launched by them were the "New London,"
1666, and the "John and Hester," 1681. The "New
London" made a voyage to Europe in 1689, and on
her return she brought as a part of her cargo, two
large brass church bells with wheels, one of which
was the first church bell ever used in eastern Con-
necticut. In 1645 Joseph Coit was elected constable,
-and in 1683 was appointed one of a committee to
procure a minister. .July 15, 1667, he married Mar-
tha Harris, of Wethersfield, daughter of Willliam
and Edith Harris. He and his wife were admit-
ted to the church at New London, April 3, 1681,
and the records mention him as a deacon in 1683.
He died March 27, 1704, and his wife died July 14,
1710. His estate, which was inventoried at three
hundred .and twelve pounds, seventeen shillings and
four pence, was divided between his widow, his son
John, who received a double portion ; his son Jo-
seph ; the heirs of William, a deceased son ; and
Solomon. His other children, not mentioned in his
will, were Daniel and Samuel.

(III) Rev. Joseph, second child and son of Dea-
con Joseph and Martha (Harris) Coit, was born in
New London, April 4, 1673. He took his bachelor's
degree at Harvard College in 1797, and was made a
Master of Arts at the first commencement at Yale
College in 1702. He was first called to the church
in Norwich, Connecticut, but shortly afterward
(1698) went to Plainfield, same state, where he
continued to preach until 1748, in which year he was
■ dismissed at his own request. His death occurred
in Plainfield, July i, 1750, at the age of seventy-
seven years. His estate included one male and two
female negro servants. September 18, 1705, he mar-
ried Experience Wheeler, daughter of Isaac Wheeler,
of Stonington. She died January 8, 1759, aged sev-
■enty-nine years. His children were : Elizabeth,
Samuel, Joseph, Martha, Isaac, Abigail. Mary, Wil-
liam, Experience and Daniel.

(IV) Colonel Samuel, second child and eldest
son of Rev. Joseph and Experience (Wheeler) Coit,
was born at Plainfield in 1708. He settled in what
was then known as the North Society of Preston,
now the town of Griswold, Connecticut, and his de-
scendants have been designated the "Preston Coits."
He derived his military title from his long and hon-
orable connection with the Connecticut militia, and
in 1758 he commanded a regiment raised in Nor-
wich and vicinity for the defense of the colonies
against the threatened French and Indian invasion.
This regiment served as garrison at Fort Edward
for several months. For the years 1761, '65, '71. '7^
and '"JZ he represented Preston in the general as-
-sembly ; was judge of the county court, and also of
-a maritime court during the Revolutionary war ;
■was in 1774 chosen moderator of a town meeting



which took action relative to the "Boston Port
Bill;" and was a member of the Preston committee
on correspondence. In 1761 he was selected by the
proprietors of Amherst, Nova Scotia, to serve upon
a committee formulated for the purpose of forward-
ing the interests of that enterprise. Colonel Coit
died in Preston, October 4, 1792. March 30, 1730,
he married Sarah Spaulding, daughter of Benjamin
Spaulding, of Plainfield; she died July 11, 1776,
aged sixty-five years. His second wife, whom he
married March 22, 1779, was Mrs. Jemima Hall. In
1742 he joined the church in Preston, to which his
first wife had been admitted in 1733. His children,
all of his first union, were: Benjamin, Samuel,
William, Oliver, Wheeler, John, Sarah, Joseph,
Isaac and Olive.

(V) William, third child and son of Colonel
Samuel and Sarah (Spaulding) Coit, was born Feb-
ruary 13, 1735. He became a sea captain and a
merchant in Norwich, where he established his
residence, and in 1761 he advertised for horses suit-
able for shipment. In 1771 he was one of the man-
agers of a lottery, the proceeds of which were used
for the construction of a bridge over the Shertucket
river, and in 1778 was interested with Whitelaw
and Savage in developing what is now Waterville,
Vermont. He was one of an association to take
action against illicit trade in 1782. In 1800 the firm
of Coit, Lanman & Huntington was established and
their ship, the "Three Friends," brought merchan-
dise direct from Liverpool to Norwich. His hon-
orable career as merchant closed November 16, 1821,
and his remains were interred in the old cemetery
at Norwich. His first wife, whom he married
March 21, 1735, was Sarah Lathrop, who was born
October 2, 1735, daughter of Ebenezer Lathrop, of
Norwich, and she died February 21, 1780. On Octo-
ber 15, of the latter year he married for his second
wife Mrs. Elizabeth Coit, widow of Joseph Coit, of
Hartford. Her death occurred August 29, 1803.
His children were : Abigail, William, Elisha, Sarah,
Lydia, Daniel, Levi, Eliza and Luc}-, all of whom
were of his first union.

(VI) Levi, fourth son and seventh child of Wil-
liam and Sarah (Lathrop) Coit, was born in Nor-
wich. April 24, 1770. When a young man he en-
gaged in mercantile pursuits in New York City,
and for many years was a member of the firm of



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 108 of 149)