Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 114 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 114 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


December 23, 1823, Henry Reed, a resident of Brat-
tleboro, Vermont. Lemuel (2). Gratia (3) born
July 20, 1801 ; married January 29, 1837, Williard
Arms of Brattleboro, Vermont. Philip (4) born
June 24, 1803; married Alay i, 1824, Philena Bas-
com. He had a large farm in West Brattleboro,



Vermont, still held by his son John. John (5) born
January 6, 1806; married September 13, 1837, Eliza
Amidon of Boston, Massachusetts. lie resided in
Boston for a time, but returned to Brattleboro, where
he died. A daughter, Mrs. Lizzie Ranney, resides
in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and a son, George,
lives in West Brattleboro. Levi (6) born June 6,
1808; married September 6, 1832, Mary Udiorne
Akerman of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He re-
moved to Boston, and engaged in the pianoforte
business. He has descendants residing in Ded-
ham, Massachusetts. Sophronia (7) born August
24, 1810; married March 31, 1834, Enos Crosby, of
Brattleboro. Charles (8) born September 24, 1813;
married June i, 1842, Elizabeth Sartwell. He was
in the coal business, but went to California in 49
and settled in Areata, where he has numerous de-
scendants. Samuel (9) born February 19, 1S16;
died in Boston, November i, 1835.

Lemuel 2nd (2) was born October 9, I799. i"
that part of Hinsdale which later became the town
of Vernon, Vermont. At an early age he went
to Boston, Massachusetts, and entered the employ
of Lyman & Ralston, coal dealers, at the North End,
the first firm in that city to deal in hard coal. Some
years later Mr. Liscom started in the same busmess
for himself, being the second anthracite coal dealer
in the city. His coal was brought from the Lehigh
mines in Pennsylvania. The Boston people were
skeptical about the combustibility and heat-produc-
ing qualities of anthracite coal and many believed
it to be nothing but stone. One person to whom
Mr. Liscom sold some coal, not understanding how
to burn it, had the coal man arrested for selling
worthless stone for fuel; but Mr. Liscom was
able to show the utility of the fuel and the honesty
of the transaction, and was found not guilty and
discharged from custody. He subsequently found
it convenient even in summer to keep a hard coal
fire burning in his fire-place to convince skeptics
of its utility as fuel. He shipped the first cargo of
coal to Lowell, Massachusetts. After eight suc-
cessful years Mr. Liscom had accumulated a small
fortune, and returning to Hinsdale, married. He
went back to Boston, staying only a year on ac-
count of his wife's delicate health. He finally set-
tled in North Hinsdale on the old Marsh Place
(earher mentioned), which he bought upon settling
in Hinsdale, and for which he took a deed October
10, 1835. He engaged in farming and lumbering,
and was among the first to take up the raising of
tobacco in the valley; he raised large and profitable
crops on the lower meadows. He was at fir.-t a
Whig in politics, later a Republican; he took an
active part in town affairs, serving as selectman
for several terms; was also justice of the peace.
In religious faith he was a Baptist, and took a
prominent part in the affairs of his church. He was
a teacher of vocal music. He died July 5, 1886.
Mr. Liscom's marriage to Emerancy Horton, of
Hinsdale, took place September 20, 1831. Mrs. Lis-
com was a daughter of Hezikiah and Sally (Burn-
ham) Horton, of Scotch and English descent, and
of kin to Lord Burnham at one time a member
of parliament.

The Hortons and Burnhams were old settlers
and lived up the valley behind the Mine Mountain
Range. Hezikiah Horton's father was Staft'ord
Horton, who died February 7, 1813, and his wife,
Eunice (Martin) Horton, died February 8, 1813,-
one day later ; both were buried at one funeral
in the North Church burying ground. This Eunice
(Martin) Horton was the woman who, when a child
of seven years, rode horseback with her mother



1934



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



through the primeval forests by trail to the raising
of the first frame house in Hinsdale, known as the
Marsh Place.

The Hortons were an ancient faniil}- in England,
of Roman origin.

Walter Le Ventre came to England at the Con-
quest ( 1066) in the train of his cousin-german.
Earl Warren, and at the survey (1080) was made
lord of the Saxon villages of Burnham, and of other
manors. From these manors he took the name '"de
Burnham." It was probably never used as a sur-
name until after the Conquest (when surnames came
into fashion) changing later to just "Burnham."
In Saxon days it was probably just a place-name, so
commonly found in England to-day.

From the best information obtainable at the
present day, it appears that the three brothers —
John, Thomas and Robert, sons of Robert and his
wife, ]\Iary (Andrews) Burnham, of Norwich, Nor-
folk county, England — came to America early in
1635; that they came in the ship "Angel Gabriel,"
in charge of their maternal uncle. Captain Andrews,
the master of said ship ; that they were wrecked on
the coast of Maine ; that with the freight thrown
overboard to relieve the vessel at the time of the
disaster was a chest (containing valuables) belong-
ing to the three boys ; that the boys came to
Chebacco (Ipswich) in the colony of Massachusetts
Bay, with their uncle. Captain Andrews, who, hav-
ing lost his ship, settled there, the boys remaining
with him. John and Thomas Burnham served
(boys as they were) in the Pequot expedition,
1636-37.

(I) Thomas (i) Burnham was selectman in
1647, and on town committees; in 1664 was made
sergeant of Ipswich county; in 1665 made ensign;
1683 appointed lieutenant ; deputy to the general
court 1683-84-85. In 1667 "Thomas Burnham is
granted the privilege of erecting a sawmill on the
Chebacco river, near the falls" ; in 1657 "a road
or way to be laid out through Thomas Burnham's
land, across the swamp"; in 1678 "Ensign Thomas
Burnham of Ipswich has right of commonage ac-
cording to law." He owned much real estate in
Ipswich and also in Chebacco. His houses and
farms were divided between his sons Thomas and
James. He was born in England 1623 ; married 1645,
Mary, daughter of John Tuttle; died June, 1694.

(II) James (4), third son of Thomas (i)
Burnham, born 1650; resident of Chebacco, Mas-
sachusetts; married; died June 30, 1729.

(III) Thomas, son of James (4) Burnham;
married September 30, 1703, jMargaret Boarman.

(IV) Offin, born in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
July 10, 1712. "Descended from Robert and his
wife, Mary (Andrews) Burnham, of Ipswich. Nor-
folk county, England, an old Norman family."

(V) Deacon William Burnham, son of Offin,
was born November 21, 1759; married Sarah
Thomas June 5, 1780. He died October 11, 1818.

(VI) Sally Burnham, daughter of Deacon Wil-
liam and Sally (Thomas) Burnham, was born Sep-
tember 8, 1789; married November 17, 1806, Hezi-
kiah Horton ; she died November 27, 1839.

Emerancy Horton, daughter of Hezikiah and
Sally (Burnham) Horton, was born October 19,
1807: married Lemuel (2nd) Liscom, September
20, 1831.

Sally Thomas, wife of Deacon William Burn-
ham, was a daughter of Nathan Thomas, of Chester-
field, New Hampshire, and Hephziba Farr. Nathan
Thomas was from Hardwick, Massachusetts, and a
•descendant of Evan Thomas, who emigrated from



Wales to Newton, Massachusetts, 1640; of ancient
Welsh family.

William Thomas, Sr., of Newton, son of Evan,
was born in 1656. Died December 1697.

William Thomas, Jr., was born August 31, 1687;
settled in Hardwick, Massachusetts, some time pre-
vious to 1732; he is considered by good authority
as one of the earliest, if not the very earliest, white
inhabitant of Hardwick, Massachusetts.

Nathan Thomas, son of William Thomas, Jr.,
was born November 12, 1745; married, 1741,
Hephziba Farr. He died June 27, 1790.

Sally, daughter of Nathan and Hephziba (Farr)
Thomas, born March 18, 1760; married Deacon
William Burnham, June 5, 1780; died IMarch 28,
1842.

Sally Burnham, daughter of Deacon William
and Sally (Thomas) Burnham (as above stated)
was born September 8, 1789; married Hezikiah Hor-
ton, November 17, 1806; died November 27, 1839.

Emerancy Horton, daughter of Hezikiah and
Sally (Burnham) Horton (as above stated), was
born October 19, 1807; married Lemuel (2nd) Lis-
com, September 20, 1831 ; she died November 11,
1887. Mrs. Liscom was a devout Christian char-
acter, a woman of sterling worth.

To Mr. and Mrs. Liscom were born ten chil-
dren. Sarah (i) born March 12, 1834; married
Pardon D. Smith, December 12, 1854; lives in Hins-
dale, New Hampshire. Charles Horton (2) born
January 2, 1836; was a coal and real estate dealer
at Clinton, Iowa. He enlisted in the Twenty-sixth
Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and died at Helena, Ar-
kansas, February 24, 1863, of wounds received at
the battle of Vicksburg. Samuel Elliot (3) born
May 24, 1837; enlisted from Hinsdale in Company
A, Fourteenth New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry ;
participated in eight battles and was seriously
wounded in the head and leg at Opequan Creek. He
was transferred to Company C, Twenty-first Regi-
ment Veteran Reserve Corps, January 24, 1865, and
was discharged July 10, 1865, at Trenton, New
Jersey; married Maria Thomas. Julia Elizabeth
(4) born September 28, 1838; married xMlan Cox,
Esq., and resides in Conneaut, Ohio. Lemuel
Franklin (5) born February 17, 1841 ; married Dollie
Amelia Mason, February 21, 1872; resides in Hins-
dale, New Hampshire. Emerancy Ann (6) born
May 28, 1842 ; was drowned April 14, 1S44. Lucy
Rebecca and Lucius Gray, twins, (7 and 8), born
August 28, 1843. Lucy Rebecca married Julius jNIa-
son, May 13, 1869; lived in Granville, New York,
al?o in New York City and in Brattleboro, Ver-
mont. Died in Brattleboro, December 8, 1907.
Lucius Gray married Susie Clark; lives in Port
Huron, INIichigan. Is superintendent of the JNIacca-
bees Temple in that city. Henry Cabot (9) born
]\Iay 4, 1846; married Keziah Dickerman Putnam
December 20, 1870; resides in Brattleboro, Vermont;
dealer in lumber and real estate. Emma Isabella
(id) born May 18, 1850; married Scott A.
Thrower; resides in Gardner, Massachusetts.



The Barron family, long resident in
BARRON Massachusetts, sent pioneers into the

towns of Bradford and Hartford, Ver-
mont, where they were citizens of prominence. From
the Vermont ancestry have descended the Barrons
of this sketch, men of much prominence in New
Hampshire.

(I) Abel Barron secured a good education, and
for a time taught school. Subsequently he bought
and cultivated a farm, but still taught in the winter



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1935



seasons for some years. He was an industrious man
and a good manager, accumulated a large property
and became one of the leading citizens in the lo-
cality where he lived. He married and was the
father of four sons : Clinton, Asa T., Oscar F.,
Orlando, drowned when young; and one dauglucr,
Amanda.

(H) Asa Taylor Barron, son of Abel Barron,
was born at Quechee, in the town of Hartford, Ver-
mont, December 16, 1814, and died in August,
1887. He engaged in commercial business, liaving
several stores in Hartford. In 1868, perceiving the
necessity for a good hotel to accommodate travelers,
he built the Junction House at White River Junction,
in partnership with his brother, Oscar F., the firm
being known as A. T. & O. F. Barron, and con-
ducting the hotel under that style until Oscar F.
died in 1879. This business was conducted for
two years by Asa T. alone, when he was taken ill
and took into partnership Mr. C. H. Merrill and
O. G. Barron, the firm being Barron, Merrill &
Barron. This continued till 1886, when the prop-
erty was leased to O. G. Barron and Mr. Merrill
and Asa T. Barron retired, living retired till his
death in 1887. The properties were conducted a
few years by O. G. Barron and Mr. Merrill. Later
Mr. William A. Barron became associated with
O. G. Barron, and J\Ir. INIerrill, the firm being
Barron, Merrill & Barron, which continued till
1899, when the partnership was turned into a cor-
poration, and this corporation has operated the
properties up to the present time. The ownership
was the estate of Asa T. Barron and this was settled
in 1896 by the organization of the Barron Hotel
Company. This is at present the holding company
and leases its properties to the Barron, Merrill &
Barron Compan}', which company in addition to this
leases and operates the Fabyan House and the
Summit House for the Boston & Maine railroad.
Mr. Barron soon discovered that he was peculiarly
qualified to be a hotel keeper and began to look
about for a new location. This he found at Twin
Mountain, Coos county, New Hampshire, where he
bought a cottage which he rebuilt and converted
into a commodious and attractive hostilery for
tourists and other travelers. The demand for ac-
commodations grew as the reputation of the hotel
spread, the wealth of the country increased, and the
number of guests multiplied, and it was enlarged
until now it has a capacity to house and feed two
hundred guests. Improved facilities for getting to
!Mount Washington were required and Mr. Barron
was quick to see that, and bought the stage line to
that mecca of many modern pilgrims, and put on'
first class service and made it a popular and profitable
line. From this tim^ on, knowing his ability and
responding to or forestalling demands for first class
hotel accommodations, Mr. Barron and those inter-
ested with him built or leased various hotels at
popular resorts. In 1871 he bought the Crawford
House to which he built additions, then erected a
new house which now accommodates three hundred
and fifty guests. In the early eighties he leased
the Fabyan Hotel from the Concord & Montreal
railroad, and at the same time he also leased the
Summit House on I\lt. Washington. These hotels
now accommodate comfortably three hundred and
fifty and one hundred and fifty persons respectively.
Asa T. Barron was a man of splendid judgment,
quick perception, unusual executive ability, and un-
surpassed as a popular and successful hotel keeper.
He married (first) Clarissa Demmon. There
were born of this marriage three children : Mary
B., married W. C. Bradley, of Lyndon Center, Ver-



mont. Abel, who resides at White River Junction,
Vermont. Oscar G., who is the subject of a suc-
ceeding paragraph. He married (second) Lydia
Maria Andros, who was born in Derby, Vermont,
1833, daughter of Major William Andros, a custom
house ofiicer of Derby Line, Vermont. Three chil-
dren were born of this union : Josie L., married
Frederick E. Thompson, of Boston. William A.,
who is mentioned below. Harry B., manager of the
Twin Mountain House.

(Ill) Oscar G., second son and third child of
Ai^a T. and Clarissa (Demmon) Barron, was born
in Quechee, in Hartford, Vermont, October 17, 1851,
and was educated in the common schools of Que-
chee, Springfield, White River Junction, Williston,
Fairfax and Poultncy, Vermont. When he was
but a lad his father began has career as a hotel
keeper, and with every feature of the ' business the
boy soon became familiar, and at an early age
showed his ability to manage a hostelry with skill
and success. He began to act as an independent
manager in 1S68, when he took charge of the Twin
Mountain House. Since then he has managed the
United States senate restaurant at Washington, D.
C, (being appointed to that position by Vice-
President Wheeler in 1877, and retaining the man-
agement five years) ; the Putnam House, Palatka,
Florida ; the Eastman Hotel, Hot Springs, Ar-
kansas ; the Raymond and Whitcomb Grand, Bar-
ron's Suburban Hotel and the Harvard Hotel, Chi-
cago ; the Twin INIountain House, the Fabyan House,
and the Mt. Pleasant House, in the White Moun-
tains ; the Senter House, Center Harbor, Xew
Hampshire ; and the Quincy House, Boston. From
an early age he was financially interested in the
business of hotel keeping with his father, and con-
tributed largely by his skillful management to the
success of their various enterprises. The Barron
Hotel Company was organized and O. G. Barron
was made its president. For many years he has had
personal supervison of the Fabyan House during
the tourist season. Mr. Barron has devoted his life
to one occupation, and in the pursuit of that vo-
cation has made a success in which he has few
equals and still fewer superiors. He is widely
known and deservedly popular. Besides attending
to the great interests under his care he has devoted
much time to public affairs. In politics he is a Re-
publican. He has served the town of Carroll as se-
lectman for twenty-five years, and in 1888-90-95-96,
as representative in the legislature. By appoint-
ment of Governor Sawyer he was made aide-de-
camp with the rank of colonel and served as such
during the governor's term of office. He was made
postmaster at Twin jNIountain in 1872 and held the
office until 1892. He has been a member of the
Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Bos-
ton. He is a member of White Mountain Lodge,
No. 86, of Whitefield ; North Star Royal Arch Chap-
ter, of Lancaster ; St. Gerard Commandery, Knights
Temple, of Littleton ; Edward A. Raymond Con-
sistory, Sublime Princes of the Royal Secret, of
Nashua, in which he took the thirty-second degree ;
and Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Boston.

He married, at Montpelier, Vermont, l\Iay 16,
1872, Jennie Lane, who was born in Montpelier,
Vermont, daughter of Dennis Lane. They have one
daughter, Maude Lane.

(Ill) William Andros, second child of Asa
T. and Lydia Maria (Andros) Barron, was born
at White River Junction, Vermont, April 18, 1868. He
was educated in the common schools, and at the high
schools of Newburyport, Massachusetts, from which



1936



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



he graduated in 18S4, and Phillips Exeter Academy,
from which he graduated in 1887. Like his older
brothers he has grown up in the hotel business,
and was familiar with every detail of it. Im-
mediately after leaving school he began his course
as a hotel manager, and has since attended solely
to the one business continuously. He has been
manager of hotels as follows : Summit House at
Mount Washington, three summers; Twin Mountain
House, eight summers; Hotel Belleview at Belclair,
Florida, four years; The Ericson, Commonwealth
avenue, Boston, two years ; and associated in man-
agement of The Crawford House at White Moun-
tains, New Hampshire ; proprietor and manager
of Westminster Hotel, Boston, six years. He
is treasurer of the Barron Hotel Company;
the number of persons employed by the Barron Hotel
Company is about five hundred, and the number of
guests their hotels will accommodate is .eleven
hundred. The Barrons of Vermont are as much
born to successful hotel keeping as are the Lelands
of New York, and William A. Barron's success
shows him to be a worthy member of the family.
In politics he' is a Republican. His interest in
public affairs is never lukewarm, and although not
an office seeker he has filled public offices. He was
the representative from the town of Carroll in the
general court in 1896, an aide-de-camp with the
rank of colonel on Governor Ramsdell's staff, and
commissary general with the rank of brigadier-gen-
eral on Governor Batchelder's staff. In religious
faith he is an Episcopalian. He is a highly esteemed
member of White Mountain Lodge, No. 86, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Whitefield; North Star
Royal Arch Chapter, of Lancaster ; St. Gerard Com-
mandery, Knights Templar, of Littleton; and Ed-
ward A. Raymond Consistory, Sublime Princes of
the Royal Secret, of Nashua.

He married, at Newburyport, Massachusetts, Oc-
tober 16, 1890, Mary Lawrence Todd, who was born
Alay 15, 1869, daughter of T. Gillis Todd, of New-
buryport, Massachusetts. Thej^ have one son, Wil-
liam A., Jr., who is in Middlesex School, at Concord,
Massachusetts.



Dunbar as a surname was taken first
DUNBAR from the seaport of that name in the
county of Haddington, near Edin-
burgh, Scotland. William Dunbar, born in 1460,
was one of the most distinguished of the early
poets of Scotland.

(I) Caleb Dunbar, the son of Dustin Dunbar,
a native of Scotland, was born in Grantham, New
Hampshire, 1808, ?nd died in Manchester, aged
seventy-seven. ' He was a carriage maker, and
manufactured carriages at Newport for a number of
years. About 1850 he removed to Manchester, where
he continued the business until about three or four
years before his death. He was a man of integrity,
and a constant attendant of the Baptist Church. He
married Elizabeth Young, who was born April 14,
1810, and died aged seventy-seven. She was the
daughter of William Young, of Pawtucket, Rhode
Island. They had ten children : Augusta, married
a Cunningham ; Charles D ; Eveline, married
Alanson P. Marshall ; George H. ; William E. ;
Frances ; Sidney A. ; Eugene B. ; and Edward and
Eugene, who died young. Four of these now live
in Manchester ; Charles D., George H., William E.
and Eugene B., are subjects of the next para-
graph.

(II) Dr. Eugene Buchanan Dunbar, eighth child
and fifth son of Caleb and Elizabeth (Young) Dun-
bar, was born in IManchester, September 5, 1857.



He attended the public schools of Alanchester, from
which he graduated in 1875. He read medicine in
the office of Dr. George Hoyt one year, and then
pursued his studies in the office of Dr. Flanders
until he finished his course. He graduated in medi-
cine at Dartmouth with the class of 1887, and re-
turned to Manchester, where he has since had a suc-
cessful practice in general medicine. He is a
member of the American Medical Association, the
New Hampshire jNIedical Association, and the Hills-
borough County Medical Society. He is much inter-
ested in the efficiency and progress of the public
schools, and has been a member of the school board
for eight years. He is a member of the Improved
Order of Red Men ; the New England Order of
Protection ; and the Ancient Order of United Work-
men, for the last two of which he is medical ex-
aminer. He is also a member of the Derryfield
Grange. He married (first) Lizzie Blodgett, died
1895. She was the daughter of William C. and
Susan (Lord) Blodgett, of Manchester. He mar-
ried (second) Rose Milton, who was born in War-
ner, and was the daughter of Daniel and Hannah
(Danforth) Milton. She died 1900, and he mar-
ried (third) Edith E. Little, who was torn in
Newport, Vermont, daughter of Charles and ]Mary
M. Little. Two children were born of the first wife ;
Clarence E. and Victor Y. The former graduated
from the Manchester high school in 1904, and is now
a member of the class of 1909 of Dartmouth College,
where he matriculated in 1905.



This family in Pennsylvania is prob-
DUNBAR ably descended from progenitors who

settled there at the time of the
exodus of Scotch to that state before the American
Revolution.

(I) John Dunbar was a resident of Centre-
ville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and engaged
in farming. He married Margaret Hilliard, and
they were the parents of six children : Elisha, Wil-
liam, John, Enos, Maria and Sarah.

(II) Elisha, son of John and Margaret (Hil-
liard) Dunbar, was born in Centreville, Pennsyl-
vania, 1843, and died at Mountain Home, Pennsyl-
vania, 1900. He was a farmer and blacksmith for
some years, but finally gave up agriculture to devote
all his time to manufactures. He moved to Doyles-
town and engaged in the manufacture of rake
handles, and carried on that industry for several
years, until an opportunity offered to engage in
the manufacture of pegs. He was in the latter busi-
ness some time and made it a paying investment.
He was a good business man; in politics a Demo-
crat, and popular with his townsmen, who elected
him to the principal town offices in Doylestown. In
religious belief he was a Lutheran. He was fra-
ternal, and was a member of the Masonic and Odd
Fellows organizations. He married Harriet Hester,
who was born in Richmond, Pennsylvania, daughter
of Henry Hester. Three children were born of this
union : Luther A., Annie and Laura.

(III) Luther Albertus, eldest child of Elisha
and Harriet (Hester) Dunbar, was born in Centre-
ville, Pennsylvania, December 7, 1861. He was
educated in the public schools, and then went into
business with his father. After a short time he pre-
ferred to go west, and in 1880 took the position of
timekeeper for a contractor who was constructing
the railroad between Point St. Ignace and Mar-
quette, Michigan. In 1S84 the Kearsarge Peg Com-
pany having dealings with the elder Dunbar, made
arrangements to have the son take charge of their
plant in Bartlett. He took the place the same



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 114 of 149)