Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 115 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 115 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


<^^^^^-i^ ^, A_,-^.A^ ^>^ ^.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1937



year, and has ever since been the companj-'s superin-
tendent. He takes an interest in pubUc attairs, and
lias hlled several pubHc positions. He was modera-
tor for a period of six years some time previous to
1907, when he was re-elected to that place. He has
been a member of the school board, and a trustee
of the Bartlett Public Library. In politics he is
unfettered by party ties, and acts independently and
upon his own judgment. For some years he has
been president of the Congregational Society of
Bartlett. He is a member of Mt. Washington
Lodge, No. 87, Free and Accepted jNlasons, of North
Conway; Signet Royal Arch Chapter, of Littleton,
New Hampshire; St. Gerard Commandery, Knights
Templar; and Mt. Sinai Temple, Ancient Arabic
•Order of the Mystic Shrine, of Montpelier, Vei -
mont. He married, at Canadensis, Pennsylvania,
June 28, 1892, Grace Lewis, daughter of Laban and
Margaret (Sutherland) Lewis. They have two
children : Leon and Kenneth.



The name of Paul is one of the most
PAUL ancient in this country. In the early rec-
ords the name is sometimes spelled with
two 'I's" ; but the single "1" seems the older form.
'William Paul is usually considered the first Ameri-
can ancestor, but there are other Pauls in other
states, apparently unrelated, who are contemporane-
ous with William. William Paul, born in. Scotland
in 1624, left Gravesend, England, for the Bermuda
Islands on the ship "True Love de London," and
settled at Dighton, since a part of Taunton, Massa-
chusetts, in 1637. He was one of the pioneers of
Taunton, where he was a large landowner; he was
also a weaver and a mariner. He married Mary,
•daughter of ' John Richmond, and they had six
children. He died at Taunton, November 9, 1704,
aged eighty years; his widow died in 1715. The
Pauls of Vermont are descended from this ancestry.
Another early Paul was Joseph, who died at Abing-
ton, Pennsylvania, in 1717. He was a member of
the Society of Friends, owned hundreds of acres
about Abington, and was a member of the As-
sembly of the colony. There is nothing to show
that he was kin to William, and he probably came
'direct from England in the seventeenth century.
The state of Connecticut numbers two other Pauls
among her early settlers. Benjamin Paul was at
New^ Haven in 1639, and Daniel at New Haven in
1643 ; they may have been brothers. It is probable
that Daniel Paul, whose descent follows, may have
been derived from the Connecticut Benjamin, or
Daniel, but direct proof is lacking.

(I) Daniel Paul came from Woodstock, Con-
necticut, in 1798, and bought the farm at Newport,
New Hampshire, afterwards owned by his grand-
son, Doddridge Paul. He married Lovisa Ans-
•vvorth, of Woodstock, and they had ten children :
Charlotte, born February 3, 1784, married Azor
Perry, and went west. Lovisa, October 7, 1785,
married John Ryder, of Croydon. Luke, see for-
ward. Loren, December 25, 1788, married Susan
Walton. Alexis, November 30, 1790, married An-
drew Perry, of Vermont. Doddridge, September
19, 1794, married Roxana Whiting. Ira, January
25, 1799, died in 1875. Daniel, May 31, 1801. An-
drew, September 21, 1803, married Clarissa Lamb,
went to New York. Alvah, July 14, 1805, became a
physician at Royalton, Ohio, married Nancy Bige-
low. of Middletown, Vermont.

(II) Luke, eldest son and third child of Daniel
and Lovisa (Answorth) Paul, was born June 28,
1787, at Croydon, New Hampshire. He was edu-
cated in the district schools. He taught school in



the winters and farmed in the summers. He cleared
his farm out of the wilderness, and was enterprising
and prosperous. He married Sarah Cooper, daugh-
ter of Samuel Cooper, of Croydon, and they settled
on the old Gibson farm at Baltimore Hill. They
had one child, Azor. Luke Paul and his wife are
buried in Croydon.

(III) Azor, son of Luke and Sarah (Cooper)
Paul, was born April 12, 1812, in Croydon, New
Hampshire. He was educated in the district schools
and became a successful farmer. Fie moved from
Croydon to the eastern part of Newport. His first
home was where Reed's saw mill is now located.
After a time he moved back to Croydon, where
he remained two and one-half years, and then pur-
chased the old homestead. Later he moved on the
direct road to Newport, where he continued farming
and lived there till his death. Azor Paul was
twice married. His first wife was Roena, daugh-
ter of Stephen and Lovina (Wakefield) Reed, of
Newport. They had two children : Roena, born
in 1840, married Thomas C. Rider. Eugene A.,
born February 17, 1847, married, December 12,
1876, Jennie H. Hurd; they had one child, Eugene
Ralph, born January 9, 1878. Mrs. Roena (Reed)
Paul died in October, 1843, and Azor Paul married
her sister, Rosella Reed. There were four children
by the second marriage who lived to man and
womanhood : George E., born August 17, 1845,
married Susan Cole. Sidney, wdio died at the age of
nine years. Anna R., June 15, 1855. Fred. A., Alarch
23, 1859. McClellan, December 20, 1864. Azor Paul
died in January, 1890, and his wife, Mrs. Rosella
(Reed) Paul, died in August, 1892. Both are buried
in the Maple Street cemetery at Newport. The
ancestry of the wives of Azor Paul is interesting.
They were the granddaughters of Peter Wakefield
(see Wakefild, V).

(IV) George E., eldest son and child of Azor
and Rosella (Reed) Paul, was born August 17,
1845, at Newport, New Hampshire. He was edu-
cated in the public schools and remained on the
home farm till the age of twenty-one. The farm
where he lives now is on the main road to New-
port, Sunapee, Newbury and Bradford. It is the
site where John Trask, Senior, and Zachariah
Batchelder first lived while they were clearing their
farms. Mr. Paul has worked early and late, re-
moving the stones from his land, and to-day it is
one of the most productive farms in Sullivan county.
There are two hundred and sixty acres, well drained.
Mr. Paul is considered one of the most substantial
farmers in this part of the state. Since he first owned
the place he has put up a complete set of new
buildings, which present an attractive appearance
from the roadside. He takes great pride in keep-
ing things in good shape, and his buildings are
painted annually. The farm itself yields a handsome
profit, the maple sugar alone furnishing a good
revenue, as hundreds of gallons of superior syrup
are made every spring. Mr. Paul winters from
thirty to thirty-five head of cattle in his modern
barns, besides keeping four horses. He milks twenty
cows on an average, and ships the product direct to
Boston. His hay crop amounts to seventy-five tons
or more. George E. Paul was married to Susan
Cole, daughter of Benjamin and Lucy (Hatch)
Cole, of Plainfield. New Hampshire. They
have two children : Sidney E., born June 8, 1875,
married Lenore Philbrick, daughter of Elwin and
Ella (Sargent) Philbrick. of Springfield, New
Plampshire ; they were married December, 1905.
George jNIerton, born November 19, 1877, married
M. Alice Young, daughter of Wilbur and Margaret



i93«



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



(Pyke) Young. They were married October, 1897,
and have one son, Stanley, born July 26, 1903. They
live on the home place, and Mr. faul is station agent
at Sunapee on the Boston & Maine railroad.

Ul) Daniel Paul, Jr., eighth child and fifth
son of Daniel and Lovisa (Answorth) Paul, was
born in Newport, New Hampshire, Alay 31, 1801,
and died on the old home farm in that town. He
married, November 30, 1828, Experience C. Whip-
ple, born November 22, 1808, daughter of David
Whipple of Croyden, New Hampshire. Three chil-
dren were born of this marriage : Laban, born Janu-
ary 5, 1832, died in 1859; Epaphras, born Decem-
ber 17, 1833, married Alary George of Sunapee and
settled at Croydon; and Doddridge, of Newport.

(HI) Doddridge, youngest of the three sons of
Daniel and Experience (Whipple) Paul, was born
in Newport, New Hampshire, October 12, 1835, and
lived nearly sixty years on the old farm where his
grandfather settled before 1800. Doddridge Paul
has not been content with merely mamtaining
the paternal acres, and added to his lands in that
vicinity until at one time he owned six hundred
acres. Some parts of these lands were afterward
sold, and in 1894 he removed with his family to
his present farm in East Unity. He is known as
one of the most thrifty, successful and well-to-do
farmers of the town of Newport, and now owns and
with the assistance of his son carries on about five
hundred acres of farm lands. Mr. Paul never has
been active in either town or county politics, having
no ambition for public oltice, and in both politics
and religion he holds to liberal views. He is an
active man, holds his years well, a close observer of
men and aft'airs and a careful reader of the events
of the day. •

Pie married, March 20, 1S64, Rosetta Rogers, of
Goshen, New Hampshire. She was born June 15,
1843, and died at East Unity, November, 1905.
Six children were born of this marriage, viz. ;
Daniel, born December 14, 1864; Lovisa A., born
July 17, 1866, married Elmer Dodge, of Newport,
Jennie L., born December 16, 1871, married Frank
Putnam, of Claremont, New Hampshire; James R.,
born January 17, 1874, died in 1851 ; Isabel H.,
born July 5, 1877, married Ralph Johnson; John
L., now living at home.



George H. ]\Iorrison, proprietor of
MORRISON the Morrison Hospital, Whitefield,

New Hampshire, was born in Jef-
ferson, New liampshire, December 7, 1854, a son
of Calvin and Elmira (Jordan) Morrison. Calvin
jMorrison being a man of limited means, depending
solely upon his labor for the support of his family,
and his wife dying in 1861, leaving him w'ith three
small children, he was unable to give his son the
educational advantages which are so essential to
a successful career, and accordingly at a very early
age George H. w^as obliged to maintain himself by
manual labor.

George H. Morrison was first employed on farms
and in saw mills, but being an ambitious lad,
desirous of acquiring an education and studying a
profession, he made good use of every opportunity,
and prior to attaining the age of twenty-one was
thoroughly versed in rudimentary knowledge. He
studied medicine with Dr. Charles E. Row^ell, of
Lancaster, and saved sufficient capital to defray his
expenses through college. In 1877 he entered Bos-
ton University, where he remained two years, and
then w-ent to Philadelphia and in 1881 graduated
from the Hahnemann Medical College. He im-
mediately began the practice of his profession at



North Strafford, . New Hampshire, and the follow-
ing year (1882) came to Whitefield and succeeded
to the i)ractice of Dr. C. S. Snell. He conducted
a general practice successfully until 1902, when he
took up general surgery as a specialty. In 1886-87-
88-89 he pursued post-graduate courses at the Post-
Graduate and Polyclinic Hospital, New York City,
and each year since then has spent some time visit-
ing the hospitals in the large cities of the country.
The summer of 1900 he spent in visiting the more
important hospitals of Europe, and in this way kept
abreast with the advanced and more modern
methods of surgery and medicine. In the winter
of 1901 an epidemic of small pox broke out in
Whitefield, and Dr. Morrison gave up his large
practice and took charge of the cases, treating them
successfully, not losing a single case, and the fees
paid him by the county commissioners he used to
beautify the public common of Whitefield. There
being no hospital in northern New Hampshire and
the need being great, in 1902 Dr. Morrison estab-
lished a private hospital at his residence, but his
quarters soon became inadequate, and the following
year he erected his present commodious building.
Dr. Morrison is a member of the Coos County
Medical Association, New Hampshire Medical So-
ciety, American Medical Association, Ancient Free
and Accepted Masons, Royal Arch Masons, Knights
Templar, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
Knights of Pythias. Politically he is a Republican.

Dr. Morrison organized the Board of Health
in Whitefield, and has acted in the capacity of chair-
man of the same for more than two decades, lie,
with a partner, established the electric light plant
and owned and managed it for twelve years, dis-
posing of it in the fall of 1907. He has taken stock
m all companies conducting business in his adopted
city, and was one of the organizers and has since
been a director of the Whitefield Bank and Trust
Company. He has always been a leader in all
enterprises that would prove of benefit to the town
and community. He presented to the town the
clock which adorns the cupola of the town hall.
Dr. Morrison was married in 1878 to Carry F.
Snows of Columbia, New Hampshire, daughter of
Dr. Lewis and Jannett (Hobert) Snow.

The Morrison Hospital, completed and opened to
the public March 20, 1903, has a picturesque situa-
tion at the edge of the village, on a commanding
rise known as "The Highlands," a location \vliich
not only furnishes a magnificent view of White
Mountain scenery, but w'hich is at the same time emi-
nently healthful on account of its dry sandy soil,
and invigorating on account of its. pure balmy air
and abundant sunshine. The handsome building"
has more the appearance of a fine mountain hotel
or of a large private house than of a hospital. It
is one hundred and six feet long, is admirably lo-
cated in ample grounds, embracing about one acre
of well laid lawns decorated with flowers and shrub-
bery. The building was originally designed for a
surgical institution, but now all cases are admitted
except contagious. This is the largest and prob-
ably the only private hospital in the state that is
self-sustaining, and being located in the li-eart of
the White Mountains, where many tourists come,
their patients are from all sections of the country.
Each floor has five pleasant and cosy private rooms,
while there- are also two wards, each containing
eight beds, on each floor. One of the private
rooms is reserved for Catholic patients, and has
been furnished by the local church. Throughout
the hospital the greatest care has been taken with
the steam heating and the ventilation, and every




MORRISON HOSPITAL.




^




TmZims Fiiblishmj Co



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1939



precaution has been used to secure the prevention
of dust, and to leave no breeding or even harboring
place for microbes of any kind. Throughout the
building the floors are of hardwood, tinished in
wax; the walls are all in hard finish, done in oil,
and ceilings handsomely frescoed. The electrical
room contains the electrical appliances, consisting
of several small Faradic batteries, one large lifty-
cell galvanic battery, and one ten-plate Alorton-
Wimshurst static generator, with which is a com-
plete outfit for X-ray work, including the special
German tubes for the treatment of all forms of
cancers. On the north side of the building is
located the well lighted operating room. Beside the
complete outfit of surgical instruments, glass topped
iron tables and stands, this room contains one
dressing sterilizer for dressings and instruments, also
one water sterilizer having two fifteen-gallon tanks
with filtering device attached which filters the water
before it enters the tanks. Other rooms namely,
the recovery room, sun parlor and sitting room for
nurses, are modern in their appointments, and com-
pare favorably with similar institutions in the larger
cities. The hospital is at the disposal of any re-
putable physician who may wish to bring patients
for either operation or treatment, the operating
room, which is fitted up with the most modern ap-
paratus, being always available with trained as-
sistants, and patients cared for afterwards as he
may direct. The hospital business has more than
quadrupled in the past five years.

In connection with the hospital Dr. Alorrison has
a Training School for Nurses, which, like the hos-
pital, has proved a success from the start. They
have a Nurses' Home near the hospital, and fur-
nish trained nurses for the towns in northern New
Hampshire and Vermont. A three years' course
of training is required before graduating. This
includes a thorough course of instruction in medi-
cal, surgical, gynecological and maternity nursing.
Three months is required in the diet kitchen, where
special instruction is given in the cooking and pre-
paration of foods for the sick. Nurses are not sent
out on private cases until they have been in the
hospital at least six months, and no diploma is
granted to a nurse who has not spent at least twenty-
tour months" actual work in the hospital. The train-
ing school is now under the superintendency of
Miss Alae S. Intire, who is a graduate of the school.
This school took an active part in securing the
bill for the registration of nurses which passed
the legislature in 1906. The staff of the hospital
comprises some of the most eminent physicians and
surgeons in this part of the country, namely : G.
H. iMorrison, U. D., R. E. Wilder, M. D., H. AI.
Wiggin, IM. D., G. W. McGregor, M. D., L. C. Aid-
rich, M. D., J. C. Breithing, M. D., C. A. Cramton,
M. D., and W. C. Leonard, instructor in phar-
macy.

This family has been promi-
LITTLEFIELD nently identified with south-
western jMaine from the early
settlement of that section tp the present time, and
not a few of its representatives have acquired dis-
tinction in other states of the Union. It is of
English origin.

(I) Edmund Littlefield, of Tichfield, England,
emigrated about the year 1637, accompanied by his
son Anthony, and the remainder of the family came
in the "Bevis" in 1638. He went from Boston to
Exeter, New Hampshire, and thence to Wells,
Maine, where he was granted land under the Gorges
iv— 44



Patent in 1643, and it is quite probable that he built
the first dwelling house in that town, also the first
saw and grist mills. He was a grand juryman
in 1645, took the oath of allegiance in 1653, and his
will, which was dated December 11, 1661, was pro-
bated on December 24 of that year. His wife, whose
christian name was Annis (or Annas), was born in
England about the year 1600. She became the
mother of eight children : Francis, Anthony, Eliza-
beth, John, Thomas, Mary, Hannah and Francis {2),.
Francis (i), who was born in 1619, mysteriously
disappeared from his home in England when about,
six or seven years old, and his parents, supposing,
him to be dead, named their youngest son in memory
of their lamented first-born. He subsequently came
to America and was reunited with his family. He
married and was the father of one daughter.

(II) Ensign Francis, youngest son and child of
Edmund and Annis Littlefield, was born in Eng-
land about the year 1631. He was a carpenter in
Wells, and is sometimes mentioned in the records-
as Francis the Younger. His will, which was wit-
nessed by his brother Francis, was made February
5, 1674, aiid probated April 6, 1675. His widow^
whose christian name was Meribah, was living in
1677. His children were : Joseph, Nathan, Jonathan,
Job, David, Mar}', Joanna, Tabitha and Hannah.

(HI) David, fifth son of Francis and Meribah
Littlefield, was born in Wells, about 1653. He was
baptized an adult in July, 1707. He resided in
Wells, and there reared his family. His children
were : David, Eleanor, Nathan, Mary, Jeremiah,
Meribah, Tabitha and Ithamar.

(IV) Ithamar, son of David Littlefield, was born
in Wells, 1670.

(V) Ithamar (2), son of Ithamar (i) Little-
field, was born July 20, 1727. His intentions to
marry Margaret Williams was published April 10,
1745. He was a resident of Kennebunk, Maine, and
a prosperous farmer.

(VI) Obadiah, son of Ithamar (2) and Mar-
garet (Williams) Littlefield, was born in Kenne-
bunk, 1747. He married Lydia Perkins, of Kenne-
bunk, Maine.

(VII) Joshua, son of Obadiah Littlefield, was
born in Kennebunk, April 6, 1810, died April 6,
1887. He was reared to farm life, but al^andoned
it for the sea, which he followed for several years
in the merchant service, and visited all parts of the
civilized world. Deciding at length to remain on
shore, he entered the lumber business in Sanford,
Maine, shipping lumber from there to Boston, and
followed that occupation for several years. He was
for some time in charge of a brick yard in San-
ford, ]\Iaine, and later at 'Cambridge, Massachusetts.
He subsequently served as sheriff of York county,
and also as captain in the state militia, Third Regi-
ment, Third Brigade, First Division, and his son
still has his commission, dated July 9, 1839. August
20, 1846, he was appointed sergeant of Company
C. First Regiment of Volunteers, raised in the state
of Maine for the prosecution of the war between
the United States and the Republic of Mexico.
He married Mary Clough, born May 10, 181 1, died
April 21, 1900, daughter of Samuel Clough, of Alfred,
Maine. Of the seven children of this union but one is
now living, John C, who is mentioned at length in
the succeeding paragraph. Emery P., a brother of
John C, who resided in Manchester, died February
27, 1907. He left a widow and two children, William
E. and Andrew G.

(VIII) John Clough, son of Joshua and Mary
(Clough) Littlefield, was born in Sanford, July 15,



I940



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1841. After concluding his attendance at the public
schools he became an operative in a textile mill, and
going to Manchester, April 5, 1858, was employed
there in the same calling for one year. For the ensuing
seven years he followed the trade of millwright.
He then became connected with the James Baldwin
Bobbin and Shuttle Company, had charge of the
shuttle department, was one of the directors, and
succeeded the late Mr. Baldwin as president. Some
time since this enterprise, which constitutes one of
the most important industries in Manchester, was
consolidated with other large concerns of a similar
character, and is now known as the James Baldwin
Division of the U. S. Bobbin and Shuttle Company
(see Baldwin family). Mr. Littlefield is one of
the proprietors in the Percy Lumber Company, hav-
ing extensive works at Percy, New Hampshire, and
at Auburn, Maine, and is president of the company.
He is also president of the Ranno Saddlery Com-
pany of Manchester, manufacturers of all kinds of
saddlery and harnesses. In politics he is a Re-
publican. Although not being a political -aspirant,
he consented to and served with ability in the
city council in ward 8, and was a delegate to the
constitutional convention in 1902. Mr. Littlefield
and his family are members of the First Baptist
Church. He was many years a director of the
Young Men's Christian Association of Manchester.
Mr. Littlefield married, July 12, 1864, Mary E.
Baldwin, daughter of the late James and Mary
(Butrick) Baldwin, the former of whom was the
founder of the Baldwin Company previously referred
to (see Baldwin). Mr. and Mrs. Littlefield have
one daughter, Minnie E. After her graduation
from the high ' school, where she was the valedic-
torian of her class, she entered the Emerson School
of Oratory of Boston, from which she was graduated
•with high honors and received the degree of O. B.,
^nd since then has been a successful teacher of
■elocution.



This name is of the class known
LITTLEFIELD as local, and was adopted as a
surname by a person who lived
at or by a little field. The Littlefields are numerous
in New England, and many of them have been promi-
nent citizens.

(I) Erastus Joseph Littlefield was born prob-
ably in Frankfort, Maine, in 1808, and died in
1863. He spent his first years on a farm. When
a young man he worked some years in the saw mills
at Vesey, Maine. From there he removed to ]\Ion-
roe, Maine, where he was engaged in farming. In
1855 he removed to Bangor, where he carried on a
small farm, and also conducted teaming in the city.
He died there in 1862. He married Elizabeth B.
Washburn, of Hebron, Maine, who was born in 1823.
and died in 1897, aged seventy-four. They had six
children: Horace, George H., Chauncey B., Van
Rensselaer, Eva L. and Addie L.

(II) Chauncey Bonny, third child and second
son of Erastus J. and Elizabeth B. (Washburn)
Littlefield, was born in Monroe, Maine, February 9,
1846, and was educated in the common schools of
Bangor, and at East Corinth Academy. At the age
of sixteen he went to Boston, Massachusetts, and be-
came a clerk, first in the wholesale and retail drug
house of S. M. Colcord & Company, where he re-
mained until 1865, and then with Joseph T. Brown
& Company, where he remained until 1869. On the



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 115 of 149)