Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 117 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 117 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


14, 1820, aged eighty. She died January r, 1818,
aged seventy-five. Their children were: Jonathan,



1944



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Benjamin, Joseph (died young), Huldah, Sally,
Joseph, and John.

(IV) Jonathan (3), eldest son and child of Jon-
athan (2) and Huld"h (Hawkes) Brown, was born
in Reading, August 30, 1765, and died in Gardner,
July 24, 1840, aged seventy-five. He removed to
and resided in Gardner on a farm in the east part
of that town where his grandson Charles, lately
lived. He married Beulah Jackson, daughter of
Elisha and Beulah (Taylor) Jackson. She died
November 24, 1839, aged sixty-seven. Their chil-
dren were: Jonathan, John. Charles (died young),
Elisha, Charles, Sally (died young), Sally, Benja-
min B., Lucy and Nancy.

(V) Charles, fifth son and child of Jonathan
and Beulah (Jackson) Brown, was born in Gard-
ner, Massachusetts, March 12, iSoo, died in Boston,
October 16, 1863, aged sixty-three. When twenty
years of age he settled in Boston, where he was for
many years successfully engaged in the retail gro-
"ery business. In politics he was an old line Whig,
and took part in the public affairs of the city. He
was a member of the common council in 1844-45,
md in 1847 was an alderman from the sixth ward.

He married Susan Morehead. of Gloucester, who
was born there, and died in Boston, aged seventy-
three. Five children were born to them: i. Su-
san, married O. H. Underbill. 2. Abbie, married
R. G. Davis. 3. Mary E, married Edward J.
Brown. 4. Sarah J., married Charles F. Dunck-
lee. 5. Charles S., mentioned below.

(VI) Charles Severance, youngest child of
Charles and Susan (Morehead) Brown, was born in
Boston, November 18, 1844. He was educated in
the common schools of that city and at Chauncey
Hall. In 1872 he engaged in the carriage service,
and has given it his unremitting attention ever
since that time ; he is the oldest man in that line in
town, and his business has steadly grown from the
beginning. He has a summer home in New Ips-
wich, New Hampshire, where he passes the summer
months. In politics he is an Independent. He is a
member of the Free and Accepted Masons of New
Ispwich, New Hampshire, and the Algonquin Club
of Boston. He married (first) 1867, Frances Part-
ridge, born in Boston, died in New Ipswich, 1889,
daughter of Adrian and Abbie (Harding) Part-
ridge. Two children were the issue : i. Albert,
married Grace Thayer, in Hartford, Connecticut;
engaged in electrical business there. 2. Susan.
Married (second), 1891, Ruth JNIiller, born in Salem,
daughter of Ephraim Miller, of Salem, Massachu-
setts, and. granddaughter of General James Miller.
One child was the issue : Philip.



Samuel King Hamilton. of
HAMILTON Wakefield, Massachusetts, is the

youngest of six sons of Benjamin
Ricker Hamilton and Sarah Carle, and a grandson
of James Hamilton and John Carle, both farmers
and respected men of Waterborough, Maine. Mr.
Carle served in the Revolutionary war, and was the
first settler of the little hamlet known as Water-
borough Centre. The village was formerly called
Carle's Corner, having taken its name from his son.
Peter Carle, who built the first house, kept the first
store and tavern at -that place.

Mr. Hamilton was named in honor of Samuel
King, who married his cousin, and who was mayor
of the city of Calais, Maine, and for many years
one of the leading lumber manufacturers on the
St. Croix river, and who afterwards removed to
St. John, New Brunswick, where, in connection



with his sons, he had one of the most extensive
lumber interests on the St. John river.

The Hamilton family for centuries has been one
of the most distinguished in Scotland and England,,
and closely related to royalty in both countries.
Mr. Hamilton's earliest ancestor in America was
David Hamilton, who lived in the township of
Hamilton, near Glasgow, Scotland, and who was
taken prisoner by Cromwell at the battle of Wor-
cester, on September 3, A. D., 1651, and who
was transported to this country by him in the ship
"John and Sara," which sailed from Gravesend,
near London, on the 8th day of November of that
year, and arrived at Charlestown, Massachusetts^
prior to May, A. D. 1652. There he was sold into
servitude to work out his liberty. He was prob-
ably held in this service for from five to ten
years. After the expiration of this term he went
to Dover, New Hampshire, and soon settled in
what is now the town of Rollinsford, on the west-
erly bank of the Salmon Falls river, at a place-
then called Newichawannok, and which he pur-
chased in 1669, and where he lived until the time
of his death in 1691, being slain by the Indians.
On July 14, A. D. 1662, he married, at Biddeford,
Maine, Annah Jaxson (Anna Jackson) .daughter
of Richard Jackson, who was a neighbor of David
Hamilton in Scotland, and who was taken prisoner
at the same battle and transported to this country
in the same ship and also sold into servitude, at
the expiration of which he settled on the west bank
of the Saco river.

Samuel King Hamilton is of the sixth generation
in a direct line from David, and was born at Water-
borough, Maine, July 27, . A. D. 1837. His early-
life was spent upon his father's farm. The rudi-
mentary education which he obtained at the district
school was supplemented by a single term at Lim-
erick Academy, then a famous institution of learn-
ing ; six months' private tuition under M. D. L.
Lane, of Hollis, Maine, who was just then begin-
ning the practice of law, and who afterwards be-
came prominent in politics and was appointed con-
sul to Vera Cruz by President Lincoln and later
was appointed judge of the superior court of the
county of Cumberland, a position which he held
at the time of his death ; and a part of one year
at the high school in Saco, Maine, under the in-
struction of William Hobson, a graduate of Bow-
doin College, who at the breaking out of the Civil
war entered the army and served his country with
conspicuous ability and bravery, returning with the
rank of colonel and brevet brigadier-general.

In February, 1856, j\Ir. Hamilton began teaching
his first school at the district now called East
Waterborough, then the "Ford District," and from
that time to August of the same years he was en-
gaged there and in his home district. In the au-
tumn of that year he entered the Chandler Scien-
tific Department of Dartmouth College, of which
the late Professor John S. Woodman was the head,
from which he graduated in 1859. During the win-
ter season of his course in that school he taught
school in Waterborough and in Wells, Maine. In
August, 1859, with a view to the legal profession, he
entered the office of Hon. Ira T. Drew, at Alfred,
Maine, where he remained several years, pursuing
his legal studies and teaching a portion of the time
in Wells, Alfred, and South Reading (now Wake-
field), Massachusetts. In i860 he was principal of
Alfred Academy, a position in which he had been
preceded by such men as Hon. Bion Bradbury, Hon,
John M. Goodwin, Professor Charles Cumston^



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1945



Hon. Hampden Fairfield and Hon. Amos L. Allen

In June, 1862, after an examination by Hon. E
E. Bourne, Hon. Increase S. Kimball and Hon.
Edwin R. Wiggin, and upon their recommendation,
he was admitred to the bar at Alfred before Hon.
Charles W. Walton, who was then holding his first
term as a judge of the supreme judicial court. On
the day of his admission he was offered a co-part-
nership with Mr. Drew, which was quickly and
gladly accepted, for it opened the way at once for
a young and penniless lawyer to earn his livelihood.
This co-partnership continued until April, 1S67,
when Mr. -Hamilton removed to Biddeford, and a
co-partnership was entered into between himself and
B. F. Hamilton, who descended from the same an-
cestor in a different line, and who was born in the
same town and studied law in the same ofiice and
was admitted to the bar in i860. During the con-
tinuance of the co-partnership of Drew- & Hamil-
ton the firm had the largest docket in the count}^
and were engaged in substantially every important
case arising in that jurisdiction. While at Bidde-
ford, Mr. Hamilton built up a substantial law busi-
ness which was left to his partner on his removal
to Wakefield.

While living in his native town Mr. Hamilton
served two years upon the school committee. He
served two years on the board of aldermen in the
city of Biddeford, and in 1872, with Hon. Ferguson
Haines, represented that city in the Maine legisla-
ture. In these positions he established a reputation
as a safe legislator and a ready and able debator.

In December, 1872, he left Biddeford and his
native state and removed to Wakefield, and formed
a co-partnership with Chester W. Eaton, a college
classmate, and opened law offices in Wakefield and
Boston. This co-partnership continued to 1879,
when it was dissolved by mutual consent, Mr. Ham-
ilton retaining the Boston offices and Air. Eaton
those in Wakefield. Soon after beginning practice
in Boston he acquired considerable business which
has been continually increasing, and for a number
of years has almost constantly engaged in the trial
of cases in tne court or in hearing those which
have been referred to him by the court, and his
practice has extended into every state in New
England and into New York. In 1899 Mr. Theo-
dore Eaton, son of his former partner, became asso-
ciated with him in practice, and this co-partnership
continues to the present time (1908).

Soon after his settlement in Wakefield, Mr.
Hamilton, became prominent in town affairs, and
has served twelve years upon the school board, nine
of which he was chairman, and was instrumental in
effecting a complete re-organization of the school
system. His eft'orts in this work were appreciated
by the people of the town, who recognized it in a
conspicuous manner by a vote in town meeting
that the new brick school house then being erected
be called in his honor the "Hamilton School Build-
ing." He was also chairman of the board of select-
men six years, chairman of the board of trustees
of the Beebe Town Library, counsel for the town
for over twenty years, and moderator in nearly all
the town meetings for even a longer period. He
had charge of the litigation which resulted in the
town acquiring the plant of the Citizens' Gas Light
Company, which was the first and the leading case
of the kind in the commonwealth.

He was an alternate delegate to the national
Democratic convention- in 1868, a delegate to the
national convention which nominated General Han-
cock in 1880, and William J. Bryan in 1S96. He,
however, did not support the last named. He has



presided over many Democratic conventions, and
was candidate for d'istrict attorney for the northern
district of Masachusctts in 1887, and in 1890 was a
candidate of the Democratic party for congress
from the Seventh congressional district, and in 189a
a candidate for presidential elector in the same dis-
trict. In 1893 he purchased and became president
of the Wakefield Water Company, which he con-
trolled for ten years. He was one of the origina-
tors of the Pine Tree State Club, of Boston, which
he served as treasurer for the first eleven years of
its existence, and afterwards as president. He be-
came a member of the Bar Association of the city
of Boston shortly after it was organized, and upon
the organization of the Bar Association of the
County of Middlesex in 1898, he becarrie its pres-
ident, a position which he now holds..

In 1874 Mr. Hamilton became connected with
the Congregational Church in Wakefield, of which
he has been ever since an active member. He was
chairman of the committee which erected the beau-
tiful stone edifice connected with the church, and.
aided materially by his efforts and money in pay-
ing the debt thereby contracted. He presided and
made an address at the centennial celebration of the
church in 1876, and when the town in connection
with Reading celebrated its two hundred and fiftietli
anniversary he presided at the proceedings on Set-
tlers' Day and delivered an address. In every ca-
pacity he has exhibited the highest qualities of a
progressive, patriotic and public spirited citizen, and
is universally respected and esteemed.

February 13, 1867, Mr. Hamilton was married
to Miss Annie E. Davis, eldest daughter of the
late Joseph B. and Harriet N. (Dam) Davis of
Newfield, Maine. They have lived a simple and
beautiful life, devoted to each other, and their home
has been the abode of happiness and good cheer and
from it has emanated much kindly and charitable
work.



This is among the earliest names of
HEAD New Hampshire, being first found at

Portsmouth. It is said to be of Welsh
origin, but that is tradition, which research proves-
to be extremely unreliable. At any rate it has con-
ferred honor upon the state of New Hampshire and
has been honored in the annals of the state, having
furnished , one of the governors of the common-
wealth and many useful and honorable citizens in
many walks of life.

(I) Arthur Head, first in New Hampshire, is
first of record December 25, 1671, when he took a
deed of land and houses of Christian Goss at Ports-
mouth. On November 5, 1690, "Arthur Head of ye
Great Island, in ye Town of Portsmouth, in ye
Province of New Hampshire, Fisherman," deeded a
warehouse and land to Thomas Paine. He died
prior to September, 1711. His wife Sarah died
probably, no later than 1718. Their children were:
James, Ann and Grace.

(II) James, son of Arthur and Sarah Head, was
bom in 16S3, in Newcastle, then part of Ports-
mouth, and was married February 13, 1709, to
Sarah Atwood. After her death he married her
sister, Elizabeth. They were daughters of Captain
Philip Atwood, of Bradford, Massachusetts. James
Head was an extensive landholder, as evidenced by
numerous transfers on the records, and resided in
Bradford, Massachusetts. Before the death of their
mother, September 8, 171 1, Mr. Head and his two
sisters deeded to Captain Atwood the paternal
homestead. He received by deed from Captain At-
wood, February 27, 1715, sixty acres of land in



1946



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Bradford, and on May 6, three years later, seventy
acres adjoining. On June 13, 1718, he deeded to
John Pecker, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, one-
sixth of a tract of one hundred and eight acres,
and November 5 of the same year deeded one acre
to John Ringe. He died September 16, 1743, at
his home in Bradford. His first wife was born
April 13, 1689, and died before August, 1717. The
second was born May 19, 1700. His children were :
Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, John, Ruth and James.
The first wife was the mother of the first three.
She joined the church January 3, 1716, and the
children were baptized August 6, of the same
year.

(HI) Major James (2), youngest child of Jamei
(i) and Elizabeth (Atwood) Head, was born No-
vember 16, 1727, in Bradford, and resided in that
town until about 1770, when he removed to Pem-
broke, New Hampshire. His farm was east of
Pembroke street, on an elevation above the ceme-
tery. He gave his life for his country in the Rev-
olutionary war, dying from wounds received in the
tattle of Bennington, August 31, 1777. His will
was dated three days previously, at Camp Ben-
nington, and he was buried there, before the com-
pletion of his fiftieth year. He was married De •
cember 14. 1748, to Mrs. Sarah Thurston, a widow,
Mho bore him the following children : Bettee, Sarah,
Nathaniel, Richard, James, Mary and Hannah. The
mother died August 28, 1784, and was buried in the
cemetery on Pembroke street. (James (3) and de-
scendants are mentioned at length in this article).

(IV) Captain Nathaniel, eldest son and third
child of James (2) and Sarah Head, was born
March 6, 1754, in Bradford, Massachusetts, and was
sixteen years old when his parents moved to Pem-
broke. In 1783 he settled in that part of Chester
which is now Hooksett, and built a house that is
still standing., soon after his location here. His
first home was in a log house, soon succeeded by a
frame house, which must have been a pretentious
one in its day. It now stands only a short distance
from its original location, which is at the summit of
the hill on the road from Hooksett village to Sun-
cook, at its junction with the "back road," only a
few steps from the fine mansion built later by Gov-
ernor Head, his grandson. He was an industrious
and prosperous farmer, and a captain in the Rev-
olutionary army. His wife, Anna Knox, daughter
of John Knox, granddaughter of Timothv Knox,
whose ancestors settled in Lancaster, Massachu-
setts, bore him the following children : Samuel,
Richard. Mary, John (died at the age of four
years), Nathaniel, Nancy, John, Betsey and Mar-
garet.

There is an interesting tradition concerning the
marriage of Captain Nathaniel Head (IV). His
intended bride was the daughter of one of the
Scotch-Irish settlers of the region, and his father
obiected to her on account of nationality. One day.
while father and son were plowing together, the
former asked the latter if he intended to marry
"that Irish girl." On receiving a prompt and firm
affirmative answer, he said : "Then you shall re-
ceive none of my property." The son immediately
dropped the ox goad, with the remark, "I can care
for myself," and abandoned his father's home be-
fore the day was done. Shortly after he settled in
Hooksett, as above related, and became in time a'
prosperous farmer and business man by his own
exertions. He received one dollar from his father's
estate, simply to prevent breaking the will, but was
successful and became one of the most wealthy of
the name.



(V) Colonel John, fifth son and seventh child of
Captain Nathaniel and Anna (Knox) Head, was
born May 30, 1791, on the homestead in what is now
Hooksett, where he died August 7, 1835. He was
associated with his father in the management of the
farm and sawmill, and by purchase from other heirs
became owner himself. He was an industrious and
efficient business man, as well as farmer, and held
an honored position in the community. An active
and useful member of the local militia, he rose to
the position of lieutenant-colonel in the seventh
regiment. He w^as married July 16, 1822, to Anna
Brown, of Chester, daughter of Captain William
Brown. She was born February 26, 1799, and died
April 3, 1849. She was a woman of much energy
and executive ability, and proved a valuable aid to
her husband in the management of a large estate.
Both were members of the Congregational Church
of Pembroke. Their children are accounted for as
follows: Hannah Ann, married Colonel Josiah
Stevens, of Concord, and resided in Manchester;
she died June 28, 1896, in Pembroke. Sally Brown
became the wife of Hall Burgin Emery, of Pem-
broke, and died September i, 1868. Natt and Wil-
liam Brown were twins, the latter dying at the age
of one year and four months ; the former is the sub-
ject of a sketch in this article. John A. resided at
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, and Boone. Iowa, and
now has his home in Rockford, Illinois. William
F. is mentioned at length hereinafter.

(VI) Hon. Natt, third child and eldest son of
John and Anna (Brown) Head, was born in Hook-
sett, Vermont, ]\Iay 20, 1828, and died November 12,
1883, at his home in that town. After concluding
his studies at the Pembroke Academy he became
actively concerned in the management of the home-
stead farm, and he also identified himself with the
lumbering business established by the grandfather.
In 1852 his brother, William F. Head, became as-
sociated with him in business in Hooksett, which
then included in addition to the lumber trade the
manufacture of brick and some twenty years later
the brothers became members of the Head & Dowst
Company, of Manchester, which engaged extensively
in the contracting and building business. These en-
terprises became prominent industrial features in
the above towns, employing a large number of men,
and not only supplied the material but also partici-
pated in most of the important building operations
of that locality for many years.

Although widely and favorably known, through-
out the Granite state as an able and successful busi-
ness man, Natt Head derived his prominence more
particularly from his conspicuous public services,
both civic and military, and he rose to the highest
honors within the gift of the commonwealth. Prior
to his majority he 'was appointed drum major of
the Eleventh Regiment, Third Brigade, First Divis-
ion. New Hampshire Volunteer Militia, in which
capacity he served for a period of four years : was
drum major and chief bugler of the famous Horse
Guards during the existence of the corps ; and in
1S64 was appointed by Governor Gilmore adjutant,
inspector and quartermaster-general. For a number
of years he served as deputy sheritT : was for two
years, 1861-62, a member of the lower branch of the
state legislature, and as a candidate for the state
senate in 1874 he was elected in a moral sense but
owing to a controversy over the spelling of his
name, instituted by his Democratic opponent, many
of the votes cast for him were thrown out and he
was thereby defeated. Some votes were cast cast
for Nathaniel, others for Natt. He was. however,
elected to the senate by a large majority the follow-



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1947



ing year. In 1878 he was the Republican candidate
for governor and was elected to that office for a
term of two years, being the first chief executive of
the state under the Biennial law, which went into
effect at that time, and his administration was
characterized by the same ability and superior judg-
ment for which he had been previously noted dur-
ing his private business career.

Governor Head's retirement from the public
service was followed by a long lingering illness, and
his death occurred November 12, 1883, and as
might be expected the passing away of such an
able and high-minded public official was universally
deplored throughout the state. In spite of the fact
that both his business interests and public services
Avere practically confined to his own state, he
acquired without any seeming effort on his part
what might be considered a national reputation, and
he had the distinction of numbering among his
warm personal friends Generals Grant, Sherman
and Sheridan, who frequently invited him to ac-
company them on their various trips to ditTerent
jparts of the country. Aside from his business af-
fairs in Hooksett he was connected officially with
several important enterprises of a semi-public char-
acter, having been president of the China Savings
Bank of Suncook, a director of the First National
Bank, of Manchester, and of the New Hampshire
Fire Insurance Company, a trustee of the Merrimack
River Savings Bank, Manchester, and of the Sun-
cook Valley Railway Company. He was a charter
member of Jewell Lodge, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, and of Howard Lodge, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, both of Suncook, affiliated with the
Knights of Pythias of the same town ; vice-pres-
ident of the New Hampshire Historical Society; a
member of the Amoskeag Veterans, of Manchester ;
and an honorary member of the Ancient and Honor-
able Artillery of Boston ; and of the Lancers of
that city.

While Governor Head made an enviable record
as chief executive and in every official capacity un-
dertaken, he was universally popular as a man and
his service as adjutant-general was probably of
greater value to posterity and the military branch of
the public service than all his other works. When
he was appointed to this position in 1864. he found
that there was not a complete record of any of the
organizations that went into service from New
Hampshire in the Civil war, or of the general mili-
tary concerns of the state for the previous thirty-
eight years. When he entered upon his office as
adjutant-general, the state had already sent twenty-
six thousand men to the front, but not one com-
plete muster roll had been made of a single organi-
zation. At his own expense, trusting to the legisla-
ture for ultimate reimbursement, he immediately
employed clerks and set about completing the rec-
ords. After several rebuffs that would have dis-
couraged one less persistent. General Head secured
-permission to copy from the National archives, and
in his reports for 1865 and 1866 a complete record
was given, including the military annals of the state
from 1823 to i86t. The four volumes comnrising
these reports contain the military historv of every
man. officer or private, who went from New Hamp-



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 117 of 149)