Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 119 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 119 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Revolution.

(III) George, youngest child of Joshua and
Sarah (Wallis) Foss, was born 1721, in Rye, and
died 1807, at the age of eighty-six years. He was
married April 3, 1746, to Mary Marden. who was
born September 30. 1726, daughter of James and
Abigail (Webster) Marden. He was a Revolu-
tionary soldier and resided in Barrington, one mile
from the present Strafford line. His children were:
Judith, Rachel, John, Abigail, George, William,
Richard, James, Mary, Samuel and Nathan.

(IV) Nathan, youngest child of George and
Mary (Marden) Foss, was born August 13, 1766.




z-ol' PT ^^^



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1951



in Barrington, and resided in Strafford. He was
married March 7, 1790, to Alice Babb, who was
born June 6, 1769, and died May 20, 1859, ahnost
ninety years of age. Their children were : Polly,
Sarah, James Babb, George B., Eliza, Nathan,
Richard and Harriett.

(V) George Babb, second son and fourth child
of Nathan and Alice (Babb) Foss, was born Au-
gust 16, 1798, in Strafford, and died August 18,
1869. He was married April 17, 1818, to Sally
Drew, who, was born May 10, 1798, and died Jan-
uary 4, 1881, in her eightieth year. Their chil-
dren were : Stephen Drew, Lydia Drew, Nathan,
Richard, Alice Jane, and Sarah Ann.

(VI) Alice Jane, second daughter and fifth child
of George B. and Sally (Drew) Foss, was born
December 10, 1830, in Barrington, and was married
March 14, 1850, to David Franklin Foss. He was
a son of Ephraim and Lucinda (Herson) Foss, and
was born October 26, 1826. Their children were :
Clara Salome, Clavton, Sarah and Susan.

(VH) Clara Salome, eldest child of David F.
and Alice Jane (Foss) Foss, was born May 30,
185 1, in Barrington, and was married to Alonzo
Melvin Foss, as above noted.

(IV) John, son of Mark and Amy (Thompson)
Foss, was born May 6, 1757, in Strafford, and was a
farmer residing on Strafford Ridge. He married
Sarah Blake, who died December 17, 1822, and both
are buried in the burying ground in the rear of
Strafford Academy. John Foss was a soldier of the
Revolution, enlisting July 10, 1781, in Captain Joshua
Woodman's company and was mustered out the
September following. ' His children were : Sarah,
Betsy, Jonathan, James, Priscilla, Abigail, John B.

(V) Jonathan, eldest son of John (2), was born
at Strafford Ridge, March 22, 1790. He there owned
a farm which he exchanged in 1817 for one of
twenty-seven acres in Centre Barnstead, owned by
Colonel W. Lyford. This alleged farm was covered
with timber which he cleared off, and the village of
Centre Barnstead now occupies the site. When
Jonathan Foss took possession of this land there
was upon it a small house, a shed, and a one-horse
gristmill. Here he lived and continued to engage in
agriculture until his death in 1876, at the age of
eighty-six years. His marriage occurred in Straf-
ford,' the wife's name being Margaret Bean. She
died in the course of a year, and he married (sec-
ond), in Barnstead, widow (Alice) Ham, a daughter
of Nathaniel and Dolly (Marshall) Nutter. She was
a'native of Newington, New Hampshire. Their chil-
dren were as follows: Eli H., James L.. Jona-
than, Nancy, Margaret, Dorothy, Mary Ann
and John. Eli H., is mentioned at length below;
James L. lives in Barnstead and married Eliza
Blake; Nancy married Nathan Aiken; Margaret
married Samuel G. Shackf ord ; Dorothy married
Levi C. Scruton; jNIary Ann married Jeremiah
Hackett.

(VI) Eli Ham, eldest child of Jonathan and
Alice (Nutter) Foss, was born in Center Barn-
stead, July 16, 1819. His education consisted of at-
tendance at the common schools of four weeks
each year, the full length of term then taught.
Shortly before he was twenty-one he went to learn
the blacksmith trade with a Scotchman named John
Hendrick. of Pittsfield, for twelve dollars per
month. After a time he .went to Boston and worked
as helper, receiving sixteen dollars per month for
swinging the heavy sledge. After three years of
this "employment he returned to the home farm to
assist his father, and soon resumed his work at the
anvil at Centre Barnstead, completing the days of



his apprenticeship with Asa Garland. In 1846 he
built a shop opposite where he now resides, which
burned a year later. He rebuilt and for nearly
fifty years carried on his trade there. In 1852 he
started from Boston for the theh newly discovered
gold fields of California. He sailed on the ship
"Mary Merrill," carrying one hundred and sixty
passengers, touching at Rio Janeiro and Buenos
Ayres for water, rounding the Horn, making a
stop at Valparaiso for another supply of water
and reaching San Francisco in one day less than
six months from the date of leaving Boston. Go-
ing to the placer mines, he worked at mining for
some time, but preferring to work at his trade, he
went to Redwood where he received one hundred
dollars per month as a smith. He remained in
California five j^ears and returned to New Hamp-
shire via Panama route in 1857. Resuming his
trade at Barnstead he labored at it until 1864, when
he enlisted in Company C, Eighteenth New Hamp-
shire Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the
battles of that year and the one following, around
Petersburg, Virginia. At the close of the war he
again returned to his forge, and followed his voca-
tion until he retired from active life. From the
date of the formation of the Republican party he
has been a Republican, and was elected by that
party to the office of town treasurer, which he held
six years. Mr. Foss was born with a strong liking
for adventure and travel, and has been an active
participant of two of the great events of the world's
history — the early mining in California, and the
war between the states. He was always rated high
as a mechanic and was not excelled by any other
smith in this region. He has always stood well as
a citizen and made an excellent record as the cus-
todian of the people's money. For forty years he
• has been a member of Fraternal Lodge, No. 91,
Free and Accepted Masons, and is now the only
survivor of those who lived in Barnstead
in pioneer days. Arrived at the age of eighty-seven
years, he has never yet used spectacles. He mar-
ried, August 23, 1844, Mary Ann Furber. born
March 12, 1818, daughter of Edmund and Deborah
(Walker) Furber, of Alton, both members of pio-
neer families of Centre Barnstead. Edmund Fur-
ber was a well known business man and a leader
in church work. He lived to be ninety-five years
old, dying in the year 1894. Mrs. Foss died Octo-
ber 25, 1888. aged seventy years. The children of
Eli H. and Mary Ann (Furber) Foss were: Os-
car, Mary Ann, Nellie D., and Estie. Oscar is
mentioned at length below ; Mary Ann married
John F. Chesley, and has two children : Harry O..
a physician, and Nellie D. married Reuben G. York;
Estie married Emory L. Tuttle, and has one child,
Lloyd Foss, of Lynn, Massachusetts.

(VII) Oscar, eldest son and child of Eli H. and
Mary A. (Furber) Foss, was born in Barnstead,
November 17, 1845. He obtained his education in
the public schools, and at Pittsfield Academy, at-
tending the latter institution in the winter season
and spending the remainder of the year in his
father's blacksmith shop, learning the trade. At
the age of twenty-one he bought a half interest in
a saw mill business with Nathaniel Blaisdell. At
the end of the year he became sole owner of the
business, which he has since greatly enlarged and '
sold. Mr. Foss has not only manufacturd a great
deal of lumber, but he has bought numerous lots
of standing timber and by means of portable mills
has prepared the lumber for market in various
large cities. His first purchase was in Northwood,
and since that time the business has been greatly



1952



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



enlarged and he now owns and operates a few
mills in various districts. He had five mills operatmg
in 1895-6-7-8, and millions of feet of standing tim-
ber and large quantities of cord wood and lumber.
He began business with a capital consisting of a
good reputation, good business capacity, and a little
money. His success in business soon enabled him to
command all the financial assistance required from
others and his success has been continuous and sat-
isfactory. He has been a promoter of business en-
terprises and a leading business man in his town
for years. He was one of the chief promoters of
the Barnstead shoe shop, of which he was owner.
He was one of the prime movers in getting the rail-
road and telephone lines to Barnstead. As an in-
dividual he has done much to promote the growth
of business enterprises in the town, and is always
chosen to head the delegation to induce desirable
business to locate there. He is a stalwart Repub-
lican and through his influence many changes have
been wrought in the politics of Barnstead. When
he became a voter, the vote of the town showed
ninety-nine Republicans to three hundred Demo-
crats. In 1896 the Republicans for the first time
had a majority of the votes. He was elected town
treasurer in 1892 and served one year, and in 1896
was elected supervisor and has filled that office
two years. In 1898 he was elected county commis-
sioner, having the largest vote of the board of Bel-
knap county, and was re-elected in 1900 for two
years. In T906 he was elected representative. He
married, November 5, 1871, Sarah Ursula Young,
born December 3, 1851, a daughter of Oliver H.
P. and Emily J. (Tuttle) Young, and granddaugh-
ter of Jonathan Young, one of the early settlers
■of Barnstead. Oliver Young, born on Beauty Hill,
learned the carpenter's trade and followed that vo-
cation for years. After a time he removed to Barn-,
stead Centre. He was a member of Company B,
Twelfth New Hampshire Volunteers, and served
three years in the Civil war. He held the office
of justice of the peace for thirty years in his later
life, and while an incumbent of that office wrote
many conveyances, mortgages and other legal in-
struments, besides attending to the duties of justice.

This name was originally spelled
TRULAND Trolin and the family is originally
from Ireland, where they were en-
gaged in the linen industry. The name was changed
to Truland when John and James came to America.

(I) Philip Truland was born in county Derry,
Ireland, in the seventeenth century. He spent his
life in his native land, passing away about the year
1827-28. His wife, Elizabeth (Murray) Truland,
came to the United States, 1840, and located in
Lowell, Vermont, where she spent the remainder
of her life, dying at the advanced age of one hun-
dred and five years. The children of Philip and
Elizabeth Truland who came to the United States
w-ere: John, James, Thomas, Daniel, William,
Eliza and Mary. They all located in Lowell, Ver-
mont, and spent a large portion of their lives there.
John subsequently moved to Illinois and died there ;
James, Thomas and Mary died at Lowell; Daniel
died at Lancaster. New Hampshire, 1904: Eliza
died at Freeport, Illinois, about 1895. Elizabeth
(Murray) Truland, the mother of these children,
w-as born in county Derry, Ireland, on the first
Sunday of June, 1780, and died in Lowell, Ver-
mont, "1S85.

(II) William Truland was born in county Derry,
Ireland, June 25, 1822. He came to the United
.States in 1840. with his mother. In his native land



he was engaged in the linen industry, and during
life in the United States followed the occupation
of woolen operative in Lowell, Vermont, and Lit-
tleton, New Hampshire. He married, at Water-
ville, Vermont, 1848, Mary McGourty, born in
county Leitrim, Ireland, April, 1827, and seven chil-
dren were born of this marriage: Frank W.. Louis
Joseph. Eliza Jane, James, John, Mary and one
who died in infanc}^ Frank W. and Louis J. have
been interested in the job printing business at La-
conia for over thirty-five years. William Truland
(father) died at Littleton, New Hampshire, August
17, 1870.

(Ill) Louis Joseph, second son of William and
Mary (McGourty) Truland, was born in Lowell,
Verriiont, October 4, 1853. He was educated in
the common schools of Littleton, New Hampshire.
For six years he worked in the card room of the
woolen mills of Littleton, and in 1876 he began to
learn the printing business in the office of the
Littleton Republic, where he was employed three
years. Since then he has been employed on the
Laconia. Democrat four years, Lancaster Gazette
and the Lalze Village Times. It is now thirty-five
years since he settled in Laconia, and during this
long period he has taken an active interest in its
affairs. In political faith hevis a Democrat, and has
taken an active part in local politics, serving for
four years (1902-06) as a member of the city coun-
cil. He is a member of the Knij^hts of Pythias,
has passed the chairs and represented his lodge in
the grand body of the state. He is also a member
of the Order of United Pilgrim Fathers.

JNIy. Truland married, in Laconia, New Hamp-
shire, October 4, 1888, Sarah Frances Glidden, born
m Gilford, New Hampshire, daughter of Daniel
and Mary (Bennett) Glidden. of Gilford, New
Hampshire.



The Jamesons referred to in this
JAIMESON sketch are descended from the same

stock as the Scotch-Irish who set-
tled Londonderry, New Hampshire, nearly two
hundred years ago.

(I) William John Jameson, a descendant of
Scotch ancestors, was born in the north of Ireland
and died in Comjiton, Province of Quebec, Canada.
Lie settled at Compton about the year 1830. where
he cleared away the forest, and spent the remainder
cf his life in farming operations. He married
Nancy P. Armstrong, and they had children:
Thomas, James, Samuel, Shaw, Robert George, of
whom later; Joseph. Mary, Sarah Ann and Nancy.

(II) Robert George, fifth son and child of Wil-
liam John and Nancy P. (Armstrong) Jameson,
was born in Compton, Province of Quebec, Can-
ada, June 20, 1833, and died in Colebrooki New
Hampshire, December 17. 1905. He was but eight
years of age when his father died, while his mother
lived to the ripe old age of ninety years. His ed-
ucational advantages were very limited, being con-
fined to attendance at the common school during
the three months of the winter. At the time 0I
the death of his father he left his home and sought
occupation wherever he could find any, being e'm-
ployed in various lines until he had attained the age
of seventeen years. He was then apprenticed to
learn the blacksmith's trade, in Barnston, Province
of Quebec, and at the conclusion of a three years'
apprenticeship went to Concord, New Hamp"shire,
where he entered the employ of the Abbott Down-
ing Company, carriage builders. He remained with
them for one year and then went to St. Johnsbury
Vermont, later to Plattsburg, New York, from'



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1953



thence to Milford, New Hampshire, and in 1853
to West Stewartstown, New Hampshire, where
he was associated in business as a blacksmith for
one year with Davis Graham. He removed to Cole-
brook, New Hampshire, in i860, establishing him-
self in the blacksmithing business with Sumner
Cummings. and in 1865 removed to Lancaster, New
Hampshire, and carried on the same line of bus-
iness there for a time. His next place of residence
was Bristol, New Hampshire, from whence he went
to Franklin in the same state, and in the spring
■of 1871 returned to Colebrook, where he spent the
remainder of his days. He was engaged in the
Wacksmithing business until 1904, making a period
of forty years. In addition to this, in June, 1889,
he purchased the general merchandise store of E.
H. Williams, in conjivnction with his son, Charles
H., and the business, was carried on under the firm
name of C. H. Jameson & Company until they sold
out to A. S. Franch in 1897 and established a flour,
grain and feed business., under the firm name of R.
G. and C. H. Jameson, in which Mr. Jameson was
actively engaged until he retired from all business
■interests January i, 1905. During the last year of
his life he resided with his son, Charles H. He
hecame interested in the oil wells of Bothwell, On-
tario, in 1S56, and invested considerable money in
this industry, which was finally lost by unlucky op-
-erations. In politics he was a stalwart Republican,
and cast his first vote for John C. Fremont in 1856.
Tie was prominent in town politics, and at various
times filled all the public offices of the township.
He was a member of Excelsior Lodge, No. 73, In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows. He was re-
spected and honored throughout the community for
his many, upright principles, and possessed the con-
fidence of all who knew him. He married first),
April 25, 1858, Melvina M. Dirth, born in Canaan,
Vermont, April 25, 1841, daughter of Parker and
^Alvira (Morrell) Dirth, and they had children:
Hattie E., died at the age of four years; Frederick,
•died at two years of age ; Albert G., succeeded to
the blacksmith business of his father in Colebrook,
New Hampshire ; Charles H., see forward ; Ed-
Avard died at the age of nine years; Samuel, died
in infancy. Mrs. Jameson died June 25, 1890, and
Mr. Jameson married (second), November, 1891,
Angina L. Keazer, who is still living.

(Ill) Charles Herbert, third son and fourth
■child of Robert George and Melvina M. (Dirth)
Jameson, was born in Franklin, New Hampshire,
January i, 1870. He was educated in the public
schools of Colebrook and the Colebrook Academy,
and upon the completion of his education accepted
a clerkship in a mercantile business until he became
associated with his father, in 1889. The business
was carried on under the joint management until
the retirement of his father, since which time Mr.
Jameson has been the sole manager of the business,
in which undertaking he has been very successful.
His trade extends over a radius of from twenty
to thirty miles, and includes the lumber district of
the mountains, which he supplies with grain and
feed, doing a wholesale and retail business in this
hranch. Politically he affiliates w'ith the Repubi-
can party. He is a member of Evening Star Lodge,
No. 37, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, having
joined the order in 1892: North Star Chapter. No.
7 1, Royal Arch Masons; Evening Star Council. No.
13. Royal and Select Masters; North Star Com-
mandery, Knights Templar ; Mount Sinai Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine; and
of a number of other fraternal organizations. He
married. October 17, 1893, Catherine M. Fuller,



born in Canaan, Vermont, September 11, 1870,
daughter of Luther and Fannie (Carleton) Fuller,
of Vermont. Mrs. Jameson received an excellent
education in the common schools of Colebrook and
the Colebrook Academy, and for some years prior
to her marriage taught school. Mr, and Mrs.
Jameson are the parents of children: Pauline F.,
Marion M., Leila E., and Ruth F.



The Cavanaugh Brothers, who
CAVANAUGH are in all probability the best

known horse dealers in New
England, having extensive sale stables in Man-
chester, New Hampshire, Boston and Taunton.
Massachusetts, are descended from sturdy Irish
ancestry and are typical Irish-Americans, possess-
ing the energy, thrift and progressive tendencies
characteristic of these useful citizens.

(I) Thomas Cavanaugh, the father, emigrated
from Ireland when a young man and settled in
Norton, Massachusetts. He was a natural me-
chanic and his ingenuity, together with a familiarity
with all kinds of tools, enabled him to make him-
self useful in almost every calling of a mechanical
nature. He was a man of imtiring industry, and
that commendable quality was inherited by his
children. His death occurred in East Taunton
(Taunton), Massachusetts, 1864. He married Ellen
Collins, who survived her husband many years, and
when the entire care of the family devolved upon
her she accepted the task courageously and accom-
plished it with credit. She died in 1900. Thomas
and Ellen (Collins) Cavanaugh were the parents
of five children, among whom were Michael A.,
Margaret, married Angelo Smith ; James F., and
Thomas F.

(II) James F., son of Thomas and Ellen (Col-
lins) Cavanaugh, began the activities of life at the
age of thirteen years, when he became an opera-
tive in a nail factory, and he remained there some
four years. He was employed in a blacksmith shop
for a similar length of time, and then engaged in
the hacking business. In 1882 he joined his brothers
in the buying and selling of horses, organizing the
firm of Cavanaugh Brothers and opening sale sta-
bles at about the same time in Manchester and
Boston. Some five years later they inaugurated a
branch establishment in Taunton. For the past six-
teen years they have occupied their present quarters
in Manchester, a three-story building with stall
accommodations for over one hundred horses, and
their Boston stable is equally capacious. Some
idea of the character and magnitude of their busi-
ness may be obtained from the fact that upwards
of five thousand equines pass through their hands
annually, a considerable portion of which come
from the western states, where four representatives
are engaged in securing saleable horses for eastern
shipment. These animals are distributed among
the three repositories previously mentioned, where
they are sold on commission at private sale and also
at their regular weekly auction sales held at each
establishment. Their sales are attended by buyers
from all parts of New England, and as the Cava-
naugh Brothers have acquired a reputation for
dealing solejy in sound, reliable horses they have
become the most extensive as well as the best
known equine distributors in their particular field
of operation. In addition to the above-mentioned
enterprise the firm conducts quite an extensive con-
tracting business in the line of excavating, grading
and exterior decoration, and one of its most nota-
ble achievements in that direction may be seen at
the New Hampshire Breeders' Club, Salem, this



1954



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



state. The firm employs in its stables an average
of forty men, and in its contract work a much
larger force is necessary.

Having attained prosperity mainly through his
own exertions, James F. Cavanaugh is justly enti-
tled to an honorable place among the self-made men
of Manchester, where his various commendable
qualities are perhaps best known and appreciated,
and one of his chief purposes in life is to preserve
untarnished his own personal reputation, as well
as that of the firm he represents. Politically he is
a Republican. In his religious belief he is a Ro-
man Catholic and worships at St. Joseph's Cathe-
dral. He is a member of the Elks and Knights of
Columbus. Mr. Cavanaugh married Annie Cronin,
of Manchester, and his children are : Thomas V.
(died in 1905), Michael Angelo, James Harrison,
Aloysius, John Carl, Harold and Paul.



The family of which this sketch gives
GRAY some account, has dwelt under three
governments, and for more than one
hundred years its members have been doing pio-
neer work in the new country along the border.

(I) Nathaniel Gray was born about 171 5, in
Canada, where his parents had settled probably after
migrating from the United States. His wife's
maiden name was Miles. They had seven children.

(H) Miles Gray, son of Nathaniel and Mari-
etta (Miles) Gray, was born in Holland, Orleans
county, Vermont, about 1819, and died October 27,
1864. He was a lifelong farmer, attended the
INIethodist Episcopal Church and was a Republican
in politics. He married, in 1840, Marion Blake,
who was born in Derby, Vermont, 1821. Eight
children were born of this marriage : Charles,
Nathaniel, John, Laben, Milo, Harris, ]\Iiles W.
and William H. John and Laben served through-
out the Civil war, enlisting as drummers at the ages
of sixteen and seventeen respectively. The second
wife of Miles Gray was Sophia Kimball, by whom
he had three children : Morrill, Nellie and Mari-
etta. Nellie is the wife of Frank Gray, of Holland,
Vermont, and Marietta died in childhood.

(HI) Miles W., seventh child of Miles and
Marion (Blake) Gray, was born in Lunenburg,
Vermont, August 11, 1853. His mother died when
he was three years old and at the age of eleven
he lost his father. He grew up in Vermont, work-
ing on a farm and attending school during the win-
ters until he was sixteen years old. In 1869 he
went to Stewartstown, New Hampshire, where for
six years he was employed by Chester H. Noyes.
He then removed to Columbia, where he purchased
a farm of one hundred acres which he afterwards
sold. Later he bought the old Oilman farm, sev-
eral other farms in different parts of the county
and also one in Vermont. His home farm com-



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 119 of 149)