Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 126 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 126 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


each two hundred acres of land in Ossipee. New
Hampshire. His children were: Mary, Thomas,
Sarah, Ebenezer, Ichabod, David, Elizabeth, James,
JNIargaret, Olive and Peggy. (Ebenezer, David
and descendants receive further mention in this
article).

(VI) Thomas (4) Hodgdon, of Jeremy Island,
undoubtedly eldest son of Elder Thomas (3) and
Margaret (Goodwin) Hodsdon of Berwick, was one
•of the appraisers of the estate of Robert Wiley,
Boothbay, Maine, on April 18. 1772. He was cap-
tain of the Ninth (Second Edgecombe) Company
of the Third Lincoln County Regiment of Massachu-
setts Militia. It must be remembered that Maine at
that time was a part of Massachusetts. Lincoln,
Edgecomb, Boothbay and Westport were adjoining
towns in Lincoln county. Colonel William Jones
was in command of the Lincoln County Regiment,
and Captain Hodgdon's name is given among the
list of officers commissioned May 8. 1778. On Oc-
tober 24, 1777, a council warrant for four pounds
sterling was drawn in favor of Colonel William
Jones for the use of said Thomas Hodgdon for
services rendered in retaking a mast ship. Captain
Thomas Hodgdon had four sons : Thomas, Joseph,

J Benjamin and John. The first three served in the
Revolution. Thomas Hodgdon, Jr., was an officer,
and his commission precedes that of his father.
Thomas, Jr., was a captain in the Tenth (Fifth Ber-
wick ) Company. Second York County Regiment of
Massachusetts IMilitia; he was reported commis-
sioned April 29, 1776. His company served at Peeks-
Tcill, New York, for eight months. The home of
Captain Thomas Hodgdon, Jr.. was the house now
•occupied as the Berwick (Maine) town farm.

(VII) John Hodgdon, son of Captain Thomas
Hodgdon, married Debra Dunton, and they had
Timothy and other children.

(VIII) Timothy Hodgdon. son of John and
Debra (Dunton) Hodgdon, was born at Westport,



Maine. He married Frances Tibbctts, and they had
Zina H. and seven other children.

(IX) Zina H. Hodgdon, son of Timothy and
Frances (Tibbetts) Hodgdon, was born at North
Boothbav, Maine. He married Rinda Reed, and they
had Laiira B. and five other children. They lived
at Westport, Maine. He was a farmer and merchant,
representative, selectman, and member of North
Boothbay Free Baptist Church.

(X) Laura B., daughter of Zina H. and Rmda
(Reed) Hodgdon, was born at Westport, Mame,
June II, 1850. She married Dr. Roscoe G. Blanch-
ard, of Dover New Hampshire. (See Blanchard).

(VI) Ebenezer, second son and fourth child of
Elder Thomas (3) and Margaret (Goodwin) Hods-
don, was baptized at Berwick, Mame, August 10,
1771, and was an early settler at Ossipee, New
Hampshire. On January 16, 1797. Ebenezer Hods-
don married his cousin, Sally Wentworth, daughter
of Lieutenant Timothy and Amy (Hodsdon) Went-
worth of Berwick, Maine. She was born March 20,
1778, and died May 28, 1847. Her father, lieutenant
Timothy Wentworth, served in the Revolution, and
lived on the old homestead in Berwick, which had
belonged to his grandfather, Timothy. He died
there November 29, 1842, at the age of ninety-tive.
E])enezer and Sally (Wentworth) Hodsdon had ten
children: Belinda, married (first). Rev. Henry
Smith, of Ossipee. New Hampshire, (second), Rev.
Sydnev Turner, of Bingham, Maine, both Congre-
gational clergymen. Wentworth, died unmarried at
the age of twenty-three. Olive, married Deacon
Jonathan Ambrose, of Ossipee. Thomas, married
twice and died in Sebec. Maine. Sally,' married
(first) Andrew Folsom. of Ossipee, and (second),
John Burlev. of Sandwich. Belinda, married Hollis
Burleigh, of Ossipee. Amy Wentworth, married
Calvin Sanborn, of Wakefield, New Hampshire.
E])enezer, whose sketch follows. Lucinda, married
Nahum Perkins, of Great Falls, New Hampshire.
Harriet Newell, married Hiram O. Tuttle. and lived
in Sturgis, Michigan. Ebenezer (i) Hodsdon died
at Ossipee. New Hampshire, July 12, 1840.

(VII) Ebenezer (2), third son and eighth child
of Ebenezer (i) and Sally (Wentworth) Hodsdon,
was born at Ossipee, New Hampshire, March 8,
1811. On March 16, 1834, he married Catherine,
daughter of Lieutenant George and Sarah (Gile)
Tuttle. who was born at Effiingham. New Hamp-
shire, January 6, 1813. Ebenezer (2) and Cather-
ine (Tuttle) "Hodsdon had three children, all born
in Ossipee: John W., January 4. 1835, enlisted in
the Thirteenth New Hampshire Volunteers, in Au-
gust. 1862. and served until June. 1865. He now
lives in Ossipee. Edward P., whose sketch follows.
Sarah E., December 7, 1843, married, January _ 13,
1867, Alphonzo Augustus Spear, of Buxton, Maine.
Ebenezer (2) Hodsdon died at Ossipee, February
19, 1895.

(VIII) Edward Pavson, second son and child of
Elienezer (2) and Catherine (Tuttle) Hodsdon, was
l)orn at Ossipee, New Hampshire. September 24,
1837. He was a man highly educated for those
days and possessed unusual ability. In early life he
taught for several years, in the public schools, and la-
ter was the successful principal of the acadamy at
Wakefield. New Hampshire. He is a Republican in
politics, and was elected railroad commissioner in
1873, serving for three years. He went to Dover,
New Hampshire, to live, and in 1874 and 1875 was
elected mayor of that city. He is now living in St.
Louis, where he is engaged in the manufacture of
rubber goods and belting. On January 28. 1862, Ed-



19/6



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



ward Payson Hodsdon married Emma B. Demer-
itt, youngest child of Mark and Abagail (Leighton)
Demeritt, of Farniington, New Hampshire, who was
born September 27, 1840. (See Demeritt III). They
have one child, Ervin Wilbur, whose sketch fol-
lows.

(IX) Ervin Wilbur, only child of Edward Pay-
son and Emma B. (Demeritt) Hodsdon, was born
April 8, 1863, at Ossipee. New Hampshire. He was
educated in the public schools of Ossipee and Do-
ver and at Phillips Academy, Exeter, New Hamp-
shire. In 1879, ^t the age of sixteen years, he went
to St. Louis, Missouri, and attended Washington
University, being graduated from the Missouri
Medical College, in the class of 1884. He at once
began practice in the City Hospital of St. Louis,
where he remained two years, and then returned to
Dover, New Hampshire, where he engaged in his
profession. Removing to Sandwich, this state, he
established himself as a physician, and also opened a
drug store, which successful combination he con-
tinued till 1896, when he removed to Ossipee, where
he now lives. Dr. Hodsdon conducts a drug store
there, and also holds the office of postmaster, to
which he was appointed in 1897. His large practice
and other duties leave him little time for recrea-
tion or social affairs, but he is prominent in many
secret societies. He belongs to Ossipee Valley Lodge,
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is
past master; also to Ossipee Tribe, Improved Order
of Red Men, and is past great sachem of that order
for New Hampshire. He is a member and past
master of the local Grange, and of the Ancient Or-
der of United Workmen. Dr. Hodsdon is a Re-
publican in politics, and attends the Methodist
Church.

(VI) David, fourth son and sixth child of Elder
Thomas (3) and Margaret (Goodwin) Hodsdon,
was baptized in 1774, in Berwick, and some of his
children settled near his brothers in Ossipee, New
Hampshire. He was married, February 16, 1804,
to Jane Fogg, daughter bf Joseph and Mercy (Lit-
tlefield) Fogg, of Kittery (see Fogg, IV). She was
born May 10, 1776, in Kittery, and died April 10,
1847.

(VII) Joseph, son of David and Jane (Fogg)
Hodsdon, was born at Berwick, Maine, July 14,
1816, where after attending the common schools he
served an apprenticeship at the tanner's trade. He
subsequently conducted a large business in tanning
and currying for several years. In 1839 he removed
to Ossipee. New Hampshire, where he bought what
is now known as the Hodsdon homestead. Tearing
down the cottage that was on the property, he built
the large house which the family still occupies. Jo-
seph Flodsdon was a Republican in politics, and rep-
resented his town for two terms in the legislature,
1855 to 1857. He was colonel of the state militia
and a Master Mason. He was an active member of
the Congregational Church, and held the office of
deacon 'for thirty-three years and superintendent of
the Sunday school for forty years. On September
'2'Z> 1839. Deacon Joseph Hodsdon married Dorcas,
daughter of John and Esther Gowell, of Berwick,
Maine. There were seven children : Arthuria Isa-
bella, born December 17, 1841 : Arthur Lycurgus,
whose sketch follows ; Orlando Carlos, twin of Ar-
thur Lycurgus, October 13, 1844; Abhie Etta, July
25. 1847; Lydia Ann, June 15, 1849: Sarah Qimena,
April 7, 1854; and Ida May, November 4, 1S56. Or-
lando C. Hodsdon, the second twin, died January
18, 1863. Deacon Joseph Hodsdon died at Ossipee,
April 15, 1897, in his eighty-first year.

(VIII) Arthur Lycurgus. eldest son and second



child of Deacon Joseph and Dorcas (GowcU) Hods-
don, was born at Ossipee, New Hampshire. October
13, 1844. After ■attending the common schools of
his native town and the academies at Efhngham^
New Hampshire, and Fryeburg, Maine, at the age
of twenty-one he entered into business with his fa-
ther and also became interested in lumbering. In.
1881 he gave up the tannery and devoted his entire
attention to the lumbering business. In 1887 he-
was elected president of the Pine River Lumber
Company, and two years later bought out this
company and organized it as the A. L. Hodsdon
Lumber" Company, with himself as president and
agent. In politics a Republican, he served for
twelve years as member of the state committee, and
for many years as chairman of the town committee,,
and as a' member of the New Hampshire senate for
the term 1890-91. He is a member of Ossipee Val-
ley Lodge. Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, also
of "the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias, and at-
tends the Congregational Church. On September 4^
1870, Arthur Lycurgus Hodsdon married Charlotte
M. Grant, daughter of Nathaniel and Charlotte S.
Grant. They have three children: WaUer Grant,
born August 9, 187 1 ; Herbert Arthur, November 18,.
1873, and Mary Ellen, November 2, 1878. Walter
G. was educated at the academy in Fryeburg, Maine,.
and the medical school of Boston University, where
he was graduated in 1900. He is now a successful
practitioner in Rutland, Vermont. Dr. ^Hodsdon
married Anna Harris, of Honeoye Falls, New York,
and they have two children: Reginald Grant and
Madeline Harris. Herbert Arthur was educated in
the academy in Fryeburg, Maine, and went to Ro-
chester, this state, as proprietor of a general mer-
chandise store. He married Lucy W. Charles, and
became interested in the store owned by her father.
Thev have four children: Helen Charles, Charlotte-
Whitman, Arthur Norman and Grant William.
Mary Ellen attended the Nute high school at :\Iil-
ton, New Hampshire, and Lasell Seminary, at Au-
burndale, Massachusetts. She was graduated from
the Emerson School of Oratory in Boston, in 1902,.
being president of her class. In 1907 she married
Dr. Charles E. Rich, and they now live in Lynn,
Massachusetts.



The Turner family is an ancient one
TURNER of Norman-French origin, and ap-
pears in England at the time of the
Conquest, when "Le sire de Tourneur" accompanied
King William on his expedition. There are various
coats-of-arms, belonging to the thirty-five different
branches of the family in England. In most of
these the mill rind or iron in which the centet of
the mill-stone is set appears as a distinguishing fea-
ture. This would seem to suggest that the name_ is
derived from the turning of a revolving wheel, in-
dicating that the early Turners might have been
millwrights or millers. Several families of the name
are among the early immigrants to New England.
The first and perhaps the most important .A.nierican
ancestor of- the name was Humphrey Turner, who
arrived with his family at Plymouth, Massachusetts,
in 1628. He had a house lot assigned him the next
year, and built a cabin in which he probably lived
till 1633. Soon after he moved to Scituate. Massa-
chusetts, where he lived till his death, nearly forty
years later. He had a tannery at Scituate as early
"as 1636. and seems to have been a man of promi-
nence in that town. His wife was Lydia (Samer.
and there were eight children living at the time of
their father's death in 1673. It is quite probable
that the following line is -descended from Humph-



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1977



rej-, of Scituatc : but the Turner genealogies are not
owned by any of the libraries of Concord; hence the
writer is unable to trace the early antecedents of
this branch.

That the family has been a numerous and power-
ful one in New England is shown by the fact that
two villages, one in ^^lassachusetts and the other in
]\Iaine, have been named for them. Turner's Falls,
in the Connecticut valley, near Greenfield and Deer-
ficld, Massachusetts, was named for Captain Wil-
liam Turner, who gained a victory there during
King Philip's war, and was killed the next day,
March 19, 1676. Previous to his death the region
had been known as Great Falls. The town of Tur-
ner, north of Auburn and Lewiston. Maine, was
names for Rev. Charles Turner, a descendant of
Humphrey, wdio was born at Scituate, Massachu-
setts, in 1732, graduated from Harvard in 1752. and
for several years was a preacher at Duxborough,
Massachusetts. He afterwards moved to Maine,
^■here he became influential in affairs, both of
church and state, and left descendants who have at-
tained distinction. The Turners of Newport,
' Rhode Island, who for so many generations have
furnished officers to the army and navy of the
United States, as well as consuls to foreign ports,
arc descended from Captain William Turner, who
gave the name to Turner's Falls in Massachusetts.
The line whose history follows has lived for five
generations in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, and in
view of the standing which it has in that town and "
the number of successful men which it has sent out
into the world, may justly be considered the fore-
most family of that region.

(I) Samuel Turner and his wife Mary lived in
Bernardston, ^lassachusetts, and little has come
dowai to us of his early life. He Avas a soldier in the
French and English war in Canada, in His Majesty's
service (George ID, and was discharged from the
army at Fort Halifax, April 28, 1761, in the early
reign of George III. By trade he was a brick
maker. Samuel Turner and his wife Marj- had
eight children, among them James Turner, who
commenced a settlement in Bethlehem in 1789.
Samuel and his wife came to Bethlehem ahd spent
their last days with their son James.

(II) James, son of Samuel Turner, was horn in
1762. He lived at Bernardston. Massachusetts, (not
Barnardston, !Maine,) as Simeon Bolles's "History
of Bethlehem" incorrectly states, and at the age of
twenty-eight walked up the Connecticut river with
a pack on his back. When near the present town
of Hanover he met at the cross roads a young
woman on horseback. They must have been at-
tracted to each other at first sight, for she offered
to carry his pack on her horse. They journeyed
together till they reached her home, a modest cot-
tage, where she offered him lodging for the night.
The fair rider proved to be a young widow named
Parker, with two children, and from this chance
meeting developed a romance which culminated in
marriage two or three years later. The guest de-
parted the next morning and wended his toilsome
way to what is now the town of Bethlehem, where
he was the third settler. He worked on his land
during the summers, returning to IMassachusetts to
spend the winters. After he had partially subdued
the wilderness he went to Hanover to claim his
bride. According to tradition she was a woman of
more than ordinary ability and attractiveness. She
was a skillful horsewoman, and possessed such
medical judgment and knowledge of herbs that she
became noted as a doctor and nurse for miles
around. There was no physician in the region for



many years, and Mrs. Turner's services were in de-
mand. She would respond to calls at any hour of
the night, withotit charges, and putting medicine
into her saddle-bags would fearlessly ride long dis-
tances to minister to the ailing. The roads in those
days were hardly more than trails, and journeys
were frequently made by ox-team. It is said that
Mrs. Turner and her husband went three times by
this transportation to visit her friends in Hanover,
which would be something like sixty miles from
Bethlehem, and on one of these journeys she car-
ried her six-w^eeks' old baby in her arms. The early
settlers had to work hard for everything that they
had. In those da3's there was no place nearer than
Bath, twenly-fivc miles distant, where one could get
corn ground. One day in early spring James Tur-
ner started on this errand, but as he was coming
back the ice thawed suddenly and he encountered
a freshet on the roaring Ammonoosuc. The usual
place of crossing was near what is now Littleton,
but the flood rendered this impassible, and Turner
stayed two or three nights at a cabin, accompanied
by "a settler named Mann, the only habitation any
w'here about. He worked three days before he
could find a tree long enough to reach across the
river. He succeeded in getting home by this rude
bridge, but he had to leave his team till the waters
subsided. In those days there was no regular pas-
turage, and cows were turned loose in the woods.
Mr. Turner and a man named Oakes one day lost
their two cows and were obliged to hunt for a
week and a half before they found them, which was
in a place called McGregory Hollow, near the Am-
monoosuc. Mrs. Turner's skill was needed upon
their return, and she succeeded in restoring the ne-
glected animals to their former milk-giving con-
ditions. Bears were plentiful in the neighborhood,
and were caught in figure-4 traps. At one time
the bear had remained too long in the trap, and
Mr. Turner thought he would throw some of the
meat to the hogs. This caused a riot in the pen,
and the frightened animals fled in all directions,^
escaping through the logs to the woods. It was
some time before they were recaptured, and Mr.
Turner never again offended the sensibilities of his
porcine charges in this manner. James Turner was
a man of ability and accumulated considerable prop-
erty, although he met with some pecuniary dis-
couragement. After he had cleared his land and
started a good farm, it was found that he did not
possess a clear title ; and not liking to leave a place
on w^hich he had spent so much labor, he paid for
it a second time. Another way in which he lost
money was by building a portion of the turnpike
road between Portland, Maine, and the White Moun-
tains. A company was formed to promote this
scheme, which would afford the dwellers of the up-
per part of New Hampshire and Vermont a means
of getting to market. Beside his own labor ^Ir.
Turner paid two hundred dollars for help, no small
sum in those days, and he never received a cent in
return, as the company failed completely. James
Turner and his wnfe had three children, among
them : Timothy Parker, whose sketch follows.
James Turner died in Bethlehem in 1835, aged sev-
entv-three vears.

"(Ill) Timothy, son of James and :Mercy (Par-
ker) Turner, was born at Bethlehem, New Hamp-
shire, in 1795. He became a man of prominence,
served as town clerk for many years, was captain of
the militia, justice of the peace and representative
to the legislature. He was a man of dignified ap-
pearance.and of the old Puritan type. On February
3, 1818, Timothy Parker Turner married Priscilla



19/8



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Bullock, and they had nine children, three of whom
died young. The five sons had remarkable records.
James N., the eldest, is mentioned in the next para-
graph. Charles S. left home at the age of twenty-
one and began railroad life at Norwich, Connecti-
cut. He first served as station agent, and then be-
came general agent of a railroad and steamboat
company at Worcester. After fifteen years in this
position he became superintendent of the Worcester
& Nashua railroad, where he remained sixteen
years. He was then made president of the consoli-
dated Worcester, Nashua & Rochester railroads,
and after four years of service retired from active
business. The three younger Turners became ap-
prentices in their elder brother's office. Timothy
N. became a conductor on the Norwich line, and
had charge of the steamboat train, which he man-
aged for more than thirty years. William H. died
January 31, 1890, but his railroad advancement had
been rapid, including among other positions that of
superintendent of the Portland & Rochester railroad
at the time of his death, that of superintendent of
the New York end of the New York, New Haven
& Hartford railroad. His grave at Worcester. Mas-
sachusetts, is marked by an imposing monument of
New Hampshire granite to which all the employes
of the road, from the president to the wa^er boys,
claimed the privilege of contributing. Hiram N..
Ihe 3'oungest of the Turner boys, began as general
passenger and freight agent of the Worcester &
Nashua railroad, and while in this office he pub-
lished the_ first maps of the White Mountains, show-
ing the difi'erent routes to the various summer re-
sorts. He was subsequently made general traffic
manager of the Boston & Lowell railroad, going
with that road to the Boston & Maine, and from
there to St. Johnsbury, Vermont, to become general
manager and director of the Fairbanks Scak fac-
tories. He is a director in the Concord and Mon-
treal railroad. Timothy P. Turner died February
16, 1872, and his wife "died April 29, 1862.

(IV) James Nathaniel, eldest son of Timothv P.
and Priscilla Turner, was born at Bethlehem, New
Hampshire. April 18, 1824. He lives on the farm,
halfway between the village and the maplewood.
which has been occupied by five generations of Tur-
ners. It was originally deeded to Mr. Turner's
grandfather James by the state committee in 1789.
It descended to the father, Timothv P., and is now
occupied by James N., his son, George Huffman,
and his son's children. There are two hundred and
fifty acres in all, and the farm proper is a beautiful
one, containing seventy-five acres, entirely cleared
of stone and under a high state of cultivation.
In connection with this farm James N. Turner
and his son George conduct a summer hotel, the
Turner House, which accommodates about seventy-
five guests, and has an enviable reputation among
the best familv resorts of this region. The same
guests comc_ there year after year. Among the
many attractions is an unfailing supply of the purest
and coldest water which supplies a wavside trough
Avhcre all travelers stop. James N. Turner is "a
Republican in politics, and attends the Congreea-
lional Church. On December 20, 1857. Tam'es 'n.
Turner married Mary Ann Hall, and thev have
three children.

(V) George Huffman, son of James Nathaniel
and Marv Ann (Hall) Turner, was born in Beth-
lehem, New Hampshire, Julv 29, 18.^9. He was
educated in the common schools and at the Lit-
tleton Academy in the neighboring town. He is
associated with his father in the management of
the farm and the hotel, and is also Manager of the



Bethlehem Electric Light Company, which supplies
Bethlehem and W'hitetield. He is one of the most
trusted citizens of the town, and settles a good
many estates. In politics he is a strong Republi-
can, has been town treasurer and has served several
times as selectman, beginning in 1887, and was
representative to the legislature during 1907. He
was treasurer of Grafton county for four years,
has been county commissioner since 1897, and for
the last eight years has been chairman of the board.
He is an active member of the Congregational
Church, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity, be-
ing a member of Burns Lodge, Littleton, and of
Franklin Chapter, of Lisbon. On June 17, iS8r,
George Huffman Turner married Susan Rogers
White, daughter of George Clinton White and
Sarah Jane Huzzey, his wife, of Boston, INIassachu-
setts. They have four children : Mary Elizabeth,
born September 9, 1882, married Walter S. Noyes,
of Littleton, New Hampshire; Helen Esther, born
May 8. 1885; James Albert, born December 15,
1S8S; and Gertrude White, born November 8, 1891.

This name was formerly spelled Hilles,
HILL and that form is still used by a large num-
ber of the descendants bearing the name.
It has been traced to a somewhat remote period in
England, having been found nearly two hundred



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 126 of 149)