Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 138 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 138 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


man)^. Mr. Fernald died in Exeter, Maine, May
27, 1863, and his wife died in the same town April
21, 1885. Their children were thirteen in number,
as follows: Josiah, Sophia E., Robert, John, Mary
Jane, Emily E., Lucy E., Jacob E., Persis C, Lu-
cretia E., Charlotte M.. Amanda F. and Benjamin
F. Josiah Fernald learned the trade of morocco
dresser, and followed it for some time, but later
was ^. farmer. He lived first in East Concord,
but in 1636-7 moved to Exeter, Maine, and spent
the remainder of his days there. Several of the
younger children were born in that town. Robert
Fernald, one of the sons, was the father of Mer-
rick C. Fernald, Ph. D., Professor Emeritus, Uni-
versity of Maine, at Orono, a scholar and a gentle-
man of tire old school. Josiah was a soldier in the
war of 1812, and his wife drew a pension on that
account after his death. His service was rendered
at Portsmouth, where he spent some months on
guard duty. He was a Whig, and later a Republi-
can, and a member of the Masonic fraternity.

(yil) Josiah (2), eldest son of Josiah (i) and
Sophia (Eastman) Fernald, was born at Concord,
January 17, 1817. He married, August 31, 1843^
at Concord, Mary Esther Austin, daughter of Abel
and Sally (Morse) Austin, born at Canterbury,
New Hampshire, October 13, 1815, died at East
Concord, January 24, 1901. Their children were •
Sophia, Frank Eugene, George A., Ella M. and
Josiah _E. Josiah Fernald attended school as op-
portunity offered until he was seventeen years old.
He worked at farming until he was twenty, and
then thoroughly learned the business of tannincr
and currying. For fifteen years he was in the em*
ploy of Robinson & Upsham and their successors,
at Concord. He afterward moved to Loudon, where
he was in the employ of Joseph Wiggins, tanner,
for about seventeen years. For two years he had
a farm at Loudon. He moved to Pittsfield in 187-5
to educate his younger children, and remained there
five years. In 1877 he moved to East Concord and
bought property on Penacook street, near the sum-
mit of the hill, and next to the old Eastman prop-
erty Mr. Fernald was a Whig until the formation
ot the Republican party, when he joined it He
never missed voting at a presidential election after
he cast his first vote in 1840, and thus cast seven-
teen ballots He passed away at his home in East
Concord, March 29, 1906. Prior to his death he
was the only living charter member of the Old Fort
Engine Company, which was organized in 1841

(VIII) Sophia and Ella Fernald are unmarried
and were the housekeepers for their aged father'
whose life and home were made happy by them

(VIII) Frank E Fernald married Emma L
Tucker, November 26, 1870. He is connected with
the wholesale tea house of Carter. Macy & Com
pany, for which he is the buyer, and makes annual
trips to Japan to oversee the curing and packing
of the tea for his firm. He resides in Chica^^o Illi-
nois. '^ '

(VIII) George A. Fernald, born in East Con-
cord. February 13, 1850, is engaged in a very suc-
cessful banking business in Boston.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



2017



(VIII) Josiah Eastman, son of Josiah and
Mary Esther (Austin) Ferrlald, was born at Lou-
don. June 16, 1856. He married, December 8, 1880,
Anna White, daughter of Curtis and Hannah
(Buntin) White, of Bow, descendants of an early
family of that town (see White, IV). Their chil-
dren are: Edith, Mary, Ruth and Josiah White.
Mr. Fernald was educated in the public schools at
Loudon, and at Pittsfield Academy, spending four
years in the last named institution. While at Lou-
don he was employed part of the time as clerk m
a store. At Pittsfield he was engaged in surveying,
and also in mercantile employment, as he had tmie
from his studies. Just before graduatmg he was
offered a position in the National State Capital
Bank in Concord, which he accepted, and at once
entered upon the duties of clerk and messenger
(187s). In 1882 he became cashier of that institu-
tion and filled that position until he was elected
president in 1905. He has been vice-president of
the Loan and Savings Bank of Concord since the
death of Mr. Lewis Downing, Jr., in 1901; treas-
urer of the Capital Fire Insurance Company of
Concord since its organization, and is also president
of the Concord Axle Company of Penacook. Mr.
Fernald is comparatively a young man, yet his nat-
ural ability and fidelity to the trusts confided to
him have placed him in positions the mere mention
or whose names do not convey a full idea of their
responsbility. A fuller understanding is gained
from knowing that the assets of the National State
Capital Bank are over a million and a quarter dol-
lars, and the assets of the Loan and Trust Sav-
ings Bank are nearly three and a quarter million
of dollars, the combined capital of the two institu-
tions being nearly four and a half millions of dol-
lars. Mr. Fernald has been treasurer of the Com-
mercial Club of Concord since its organization in
18S9. In politics he is a Republican. He is an
Odd Fellow, and a member of White Mountain
Lodge. In religious faith he is a Baptist, and has
been a member of the First Baptist Church of Con-
cord since 1878. In his summer vacations Mr. Fer-
nald ranges from the Atlantic coast to the _ Rocky
Mountains, where he recuperates his energies for
the next year's labors. In 1900 he visited Agonquit,
Maine, and while there rescued three women from
drowning, for which he was presented with a silver
medal by the Humane Society of Massachusetts.

(II) William, youngest child of Reginald Fer-
nald, was born March 5, 1646, in Portsmouth, and
resided for many years in what is now Kittery,
on the site of the United States Navy Yard. This
was known at the time of his purchase in 1671,
as "Lay Claim" island. This he purchased from
his brother Thomas, and while residing there he
is said to have built a vessel of one hundred and
forty-eight tons for Isaac Boyd. He was select-
man in 1674, 1692 and 1696. On the loth of Feb-
ruary in the last named year he was commissioned
lieutenant of militia by Sir Edmund Andross, and
in the town records of 1695 he was called Captain,
probably a local title in colonial militia. During
his last years he lived on his farm near Spruce
Creek, where he died July 5, 1728. He was mar-
ried. November 16, 1671, to Elizabeth, daughter of
Tobias and Elizabeth (Sherburne) Langdon, of
Portsmouth. She survived him nearly twelve
years, dying May it, 1740. Their children were:
Elizabeth, William, Tobias (died young), Margaret,
Temperance, William, Joseph, Sarah, Lydia, Ben-
jamin, Nathaniel, Ebenezer. and Tobias. (The last



named and descendants receive further mention in
this article).

(III) Ebenezer, seventh son and twelfth child
of William and Elizabeth (Langdon) Fernald, was
born October 7, 1699, in Kittery and passed his
life in his native town, where he died January 29,
1787. He was married, December 22, 1724, to Pa-
tience, daughter of Jonathan and Sarah (Downing)
Mendum. She was born in Kittery about 1700,
and died January 5, 1775. aged seventy-four years.
Their children were : Alice, Sarah, Joanna, Eb-
enezer, Jonathan, Olive, Dorothy, Elizabeth, Si-
meon, Miriam, Patience, and Joshua Downing.

(IV) Alice, eldest child of Ebenezer and Pa-
tience (Mendum) Fernald, was born January 21,
1726, in Kittery, and died July 5, 1804, in her na-
tive town. She was married, May 3, 1752, to Sam-
uel Gunnison, being his second wife. (See Gun-
nison, IV).

(III) Tobias, youngest child of William and
Elizabeth (Langdon) Fernald, was born December
3, 1702, probably in Portsmouth, and died May 11,
1761. He was probably a mariner, and is recorded
with the title of captain. He was married, Decem-
ber 22, 1724, to Mary, daughter of Jonathan and
Sarah (Downing) Mendum. She died October 16,
1767. Their children were: Dennis, Mary, Miriam,
Robert (died young), Robert, Tobias and Eleazer.

(IV) Eleazer, youngest child of Captain To-
bias and Mary (Mendum) Fernald, was born Sep-
tember 23, 1746, locality not certainly known, and
was a farmer. He passed his last days at Ossi-
pee, New Hampshire, where he died in 1823. He
was married, January 31, 1771, to Margery, eldest
daughter of Nathaniel and Margery (Frost) Sta-
ples, of Cape Elizabeth. She was born November
18, 1747, baptized May 10, 1751, and died in 1826,
at Ossipee. Their children were : Tobias, Nathan-
iel, Mary, Elliott. Margery and Joanna.

(V) Tobias (2), eldest child of Eleazer and
Margery (Staples) Fernald, was born November
8, 1771, in Kittery, and lived for a time in North
Berwick, Maine. He removed to Ossipee, New
Hampshire, about 1795. making the journey on
horseback from Kittery by means of a trail through
the forest, marked by blazed trees. He died July
3. 1849. He was married, August 2, 1792, to Sally
Pray, of Lebanon, Maine, and their children were :
Joanna, Dorothy, Joseph, Mark. Charles, Nathaniel,
John Yeaton, Abigail and Samuel Pray.

(VI) John Yeaton, fi.fth son and seventh child
of Tobias (2) and Sally (Pray) Fernald, was born
December 2, 1803, in Kittery, Maine. He married
Sally Trickey, daughter of Jabez or Joseph and
Mary (Wentworth) Ricker. She was born at
Waterboro, Maine, September 12, 1806. In 1794
Jabez or Joseph Ricker purchased the Poland
Springs property in Maine. The estate is still in
the hands of the Ricker family who have made the
waters of the springs known throughout the world,
and incidentally have built the finest hotel and
summer resort on the New England coast. Jabez
or Joseph Picker's wife, Mary Wentworth, was a
great-granddaughtei of William Wentworth, the
immigrant ancestor of all the Wentworths. John
Y. and Sally Trickey (Ricker) Fernald had chil-
dren, among them Harriet N., mentioned below.
John Y. Fernald died at Ossipee, New Hampshire,
August 7, 1877, and his wife died there October,
1868.

(VII) Harriet N., daughter of John Y. and Sally
Trickey (Ricker) Fernald, was born at Ossipee,
v^w Hampshire, May 19, 1841. On April 15, 1858,



20l8



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



she was married to Jacob Abbott, of Ossipee. (See
Abbott, III).

The name of Hevey is one which has
HEVEY been identified with the history _ and

progress of France in various direc-
tions for a number of generations. One of the an-
cestors of the subject of this sketch, whose bap-
tism took place in 1696, was the first child to be
baptized in the city of Quebec.

Ignace Hevey was a very young child when he
lost his father by death, and he was the youngest
of a large family. He followed agricultural pur-
suits throughout his life, and died at the age of
fifty-five years. He married Josephte Guilbert,
who survived her husband and died at the advanced
age of ninety-one years. She was the daughter of

Jean Baptiste and Guilbert. both natives

of Canada. The Guilbert family is one of the very
old ones of France, one of its representatives hav-
ing been a general in the French army as early as
the fourteenth century. Mr. and Mrs. Hevey had
twelve sons and three daughters, of whom seven
lived to attain maturity. Of these there at present
(1907) three living: Rev. Pierre Hevey, see for-
ward ; one daughter living in Canada at the age of
eighty-nine years, and another, at the age of eighty-
seven years.

Right Reverend Pierre Hevej^ youngest child
of Ignace and Josephte (Guilbert) Hevey, was
born at St. Barnabe, Province of Quebec, October
31, 1831. This parish adjoins that of St. 'Hya-
cinthe. He w-as the only one of his generation in
the family to adopt a professional career. His pre-
paratory education was acquired in the parochial
schools of his native town, and he then became a
student at St. Jude's Academy, from there passing
on to Chambly College and St. Hyacinthe College.
In the latter institution he made a special study of
theology, and was ordained priest in the seminary
chapel, July 12, 1857, by Archbishop Tache, one
of the most eminent prelates of his time. After his
ordination, Rev. Pierre Hevey remained at the
residence of the bishop for about two and one-half
years ; from 1859 until 1866 was stationed at St. Jean
Baptiste. Province of Quebec ; and five years at Gre-
goire, Iberville, till 1871 ; and went to Lewiston,
Maine, in October, 1S71. His successors in this lat-
ter charge were the Dominican Fathers. After leav-
ing Lewiston he rested for a time, and then as-
sumed charge of St. Mary's Parish, West Man-
chester, New Hampshire. He soon found that the
majority of his communicants, consisting of eigh-
teen hundred souls, resided in Manchester proper.
St. Mary's parish was organized in 1880. Bishop
Healy having commissioned Rev. D. J. Halde to
take this matter in hand. The latter secured land
and erected a church, and in 1882 was succeeded
by Rev. Pierre Hevey. At that time the church
building was a frame structure near the present
fine edifice, and in 1883 Rev. Father Hevey purchased
a large tract of land on Wayne street, and later con-
verted the dwelling bought by Father Halde into a
rectory. The original chapel, together with the addi-
tions which had been made by Rev. Father Hevey,
was destroyed by fire, October 16, i8go. After that
event the services were conducted in St. Mary's
Hall until a new church building should have been
erected. This was commenced in 1898, and it was
ready for occupancy in December, 1900. Rev.
Father Hevey erected a building in 1885 which
served the double purpose of convent and school
for girls, and placed it in charge of a branch of the
Order of Grcv Nuns, whose home institution is in



St. Hyacinthe. Province of Quebec. In the same year
an orphanage was opened in the building. The
following year he built a school for boys on Wayne
street, which he placed in charge of a branch of the
Order of Marist Brothers, in 1890. There are at
the present time (1907) five hundred and forty pu-
pils in this school. Shortly after he brought the
Sisters of Presentation to Manchester, and estab-
lished a parochial school for girls. About the
same time he was successful in building the Hos-
pital of Notre Dame de Lourdes, which is a hos-
pital for the aged and an asylum for orphans, and
placed this under the control of the Grey Nuns.
This has since been enlarged by the addition of
a brick structure in which three classrooms have
been reserved for boys. A kindergarten established
at an earlier period is still retained in the old build-
ing. The hospital occupies five hundred feet on
Notre Dame avenue, and the entire square between
Wayne and Putnam streets. The boys' school is
three hundred by one hundred feet in size. The
boys were transferred to the St. Peter's Orphanage
in igor, and the total number of orphans in the
building at the present time is two hundred and
seventy-five. Altogether the orphans attending the
school number fifteen hundred pupils. Rev. Father
Hevey also erected a large brick residence as a
home for the eleven brothers in charge of the
school. The hospital takes rank with the best in
New England, and the operating room, which is of
solid glass wherever practicable, is circular in shape
externally, and immediately attracts the notice of
every stranger who passes "the building. It is fitted
with every modern improvement and device which
may tend to the safe outcome of the many opera-
tions performed within its walls. Its staff of sur-
geons is considered among the best in the state.
Rev. Father Hevey has been untiring in his efforts
in behalf of the parish in his charge, and is greatly
beloved by alL Although advanced in years, he is
as active in mind and body as many men greatly his
juniors in point of years. No detail concerning the
welfare of 'his parish seems to .him too trivial to
be investigated, and if it seems to contain any ele-
ments of benefit to his beloved people, it is given
his personal att^^ntion.

The church is centrally located, overlooking the
city of Manchester, and is one of the finest in the
city. The height of the spire to the top of the
cross is two hundred and twenty-three feet. The
ground dimensions are one hundred by ninety-nine
feet, and the basement, which is of Concord gran-
ite, was completed in 1892. This was used for di-
vine services until the body of the church was com-
pleted. The interior furnishings are of oak, the
altars being of onyx, and the sanctuary stalls of
carved oak. The floor of the sanctuary is of Ger-
man cement. A large pipe organ is operated by
electricity, and in the right transept there is an
echo organ which is operated by the organist seated
at the large organ. In the echo organ gallery there
is also space for the choir of one hundred boys.
The opposite gallery is reserved for the Sisters,
sixty in number. There is a statue of St. Joseph,
made in Belgium, which is considered a very fine
work of art._ The church is well lighted by' elec-
tricity,- and is fitted with all improvements which
tend to the comfort of the worshippers. The ves-
try has also German cement floors, and the wood-
work is of oak. It is spacious and well ventilated,
and the ceilings are high. The entire ground
space covered by the church, vestry, etc., is two
hundred and fifty feet on Notre Dame avenue, and
more than three hundred on Wayne street. Besides



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



2019



Rev. Father Hevey, there are four assistant priests.
The number of communicants has increased to
such an extent that it is now the largest parish in
tlie diocese, having fourteen hundred families, and
renting one thousand six hundred and eighty-six
pews. Rev. Father Hevey purchased a set of chimes
in Montreal, in 1906, these having been imported
directly from France, and they are rung by means
of electricity. The total weight of these bells is
thirteen thousand nine hundred and ninety-five
pounds, and their music can be heard all over the
city. Fhey are considered to have the finest tone
of any in the state, and their cost was six thousand
dollars.

Rev. Father Hevey received the honorary title
of Prothonotary Apostolic from Rome June 20,
1890. Bearing this title, he has the right to wear
the mitre while celebrating mass, and he always
does this on the most important holy days of the
year, such as Easter, Christmas, and the fete day
of his patron saint, Saint Peter.



Among the names identified with the
TENNEY Puritan immigration to America, with

the development of civilization on
this continent, and with the early settlement of New
Hampshire, this has borne an honorable part. It
has given to us learned and able ministers of the
gospel, profound judges, enterprising business men
and good citizens in large number. In the present
generation it is represented at Claremont by Judge
Edward J. Tenney, one of the selfmade men of
New Hampshire. The little village of Rowley, in
Yorkshire. England, now a hamlet of very small
importance, in the early part of the seventeenth
century, sheltered a man destined to exercise a
large influence in the settlement of JMassachusetts,
namely : Rev. Ezekiel Rogers. He could not per-
form acts required of him by his sovereign, which
his conscience told him were sacrilegious, and he
. gathered about him a band of souls equally con-
scientious, and set out for America in the autumn
of 1638. They arrived at Salem, Massachusetts, in
December, and began a settlement in the spring of
]639, at what is now Rowley, at first called Rogers'
Plantation. In September of that year the general
court formally bestowed upon it its present name.

(I) In Rev. Rogers' company were Thomas
Tenney and his wife Ann. He was then about
twenty-four years old, according to a statement
made by him in 16S0, when he gave his age as
about sixty-six years. His wife is supposed to have
lieen a sister of Deacon Thomas Mighill, of the
same company. She was buried September 26, 1657,
and Mr. Tenney was married February 24, 1658, to
I'Uizabeth, widow of Francis Parrat, also among
the early settlers of Rowley. In the survey of
1643. Mr. Tenney had a house lot of one and one-
half acres, and the records show that he was pos-
' sesseU of several parcels of land. His house lot
has been occupied by a store since 1701, and his
house was torn down in 1838. He was active in
the afifairs of the settlement in many ways, serving
as ensign, marshal, warner of town meetings, over-
seer of the plains, selectman, viewer of fences, high-
ways and chimneys, constable and tithing man,
filling some of these offices repeatedly. In 1667 he
was appointed to see that the Sabbath was duly
observed, and in 1680 was inspector of ten fami-
lies. The early church records cannot be found,
but later ones show him to have been a member in
1669. As freemen were limited to church members,
it is apparent that he was in good standing in church
iv— 49



among the first, else he could not have served
as a civil officer. His last days were passed in
Bradford, Massachusetts, where he deeded over
seventy acres of laYid to his son John, June 15,
1694, in consideration of support during his old age.
He died February 20. 1700, and was buried in the
old cemetery. His children were: John, Hannah,
Mercy, Thomas, James and Daniel

(II) Daniel, youngest child of Thomas Tenney
and Ann, his first wife, was born July 16, 1653, in
Rowley, and lived in Ih'adford and Byfield parish
of Rowley.. His farm was on the northwest side
of Simons brook, and remained in possession of his
descendants until the beginning of the present cen-
tur}^ The records show the sale of his land in
Rowley and the deeding of his estate in 1715 to his
son Daniel, wath proviso that the latter support the
father and his wife during the remainder of their
lives. He was a soldier in the Indian wars under
Major Richard Waldron, of Dover, New Hamp-
shire, the payroll, dated March 24, 1676, showing
him entitled to compensation of one pound nine-
teen shillings four pence. He died in his ninety-
fifth year, and was survived a short time by his
widow who passed away September 5, 1749, aged
over eighty years. Mr. Tenney was married (first),
July 21, 1680, to Elizabeth, daughter of Lieutenant
Samuel and Julia (Swan) Stickney. She was born
May 9, 1661, in Rowley, and died there April 28,
1694. Mr. Tenney married (second), Mary Hardy,
and (third). June 5, 1712, Elizabeth Woodman,
daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth Stevens. The
children of the first wife were : Thomas, Daniel,
Sarah (died young), and Daniel and Sarah, twins.
The second wife was the mother of: John, Wil-
liam, Richard, Ebenezer and Mary.

•(Ill) William (i), fifth son and seventh child
of Daniel Tenney, was born October 23, 1698, in
Rowley, and resided in that town and in Newbury.
After purchasing small parcels of land for thirteen
and fifteen pounds respectiveh', he took deed Sep-
tember 6, 1726. of thirty acres in Rowlc}-, for which
the consideration was two hundred and fifty
pounds. In one of these deeds he is styled "cord-
wainer." He died September 29, 1784, being then
almost eighty-six years of age. He was published
as intending marriage in Newbury, September 3,
1720, to Mehetable Pearson, daughter of Benjamin
and Hannah (Thurston) Pearson. No record of
their marriage was made, though she is known to
have been his wife. She was born May 18, 1695,
in Newbury, and died March i, 1749. Their chil-
dren were: IMehetabel, William, Oliver. Jane,
Ruth, Eunice, ITannah, Benjamin, Richard and
Mary.

(IV) William (2), eldest son and second child
of William (i) and Mehetable (Pearson) Tenney,
was born July 19, 1723, in Rowley. He r-cmovcd
from that town to Hollis, New Hampshire, in 1746,
and was sealer of leather there in 1748 and select-
man in 1769-70. He died there March 22, 1783,
in his sixtieth year. He was married November 7,
1745, to Ann Jewett, daughter of Deacon Daniel
and Elizabeth (Hopkinson) Jewett. She was
born July 19, 1723 in Rowley, and survived her
husband until July i, 1794, near the close of her
eighty-first year. Their children were: Benjamin,
Martha, William and Ann.

(V) Benjamin, eldest child of William (2) and
Ann (Jewett) Tennej^ was born November 8, 1746,
in Hollis, this state, and settled after 1775 in Tem-
ple, New Hampshire. He was among those who
started for Cambridge on the alarm of April 19,



2020



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1775. but of course was unable to reach the scene
of action in time to participate. He engaged in

1776, under Captain Adams and Lieutenant Colonel
Bradford, to go to the re-enforcement of General
Gates at Ticonderoga, and was discharged Novem-
ber 16, 1776. He again enlisted, June 29, 1777, as
a private in Captain Gershom's company, under
Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Heald, and marched to



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 138 of 149)