Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 40 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 40 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


zens of the infant colony of Massachusetts are still
evidenced in the life of their posterity, showing the
the virility and mental force which characterized
them.

(I) Captain Richard Walker, founder of this
line, is first found of record at Lynn, Massachusetts,
in 1630, when he was ensign of the local military
company. As the settlers of that town were Eng-
lish, there is no doubt that he was of the same
nativity, but the place of his birth is unknown and
its time can only be approximated. The time of
his death is indicated by the record which shows
that he was buried at Lynn, May 16, 1687, when
his age is given as ninety-five years, indicating that
his birth occurred about 1592. He was made a
freeman in 1634, at Lynn. In 1631 the neighboring
Indians threatened the infant settlement, and En-
sign Walker was in service on guard. One night
he heard a noise in the forest near him and felt
an arrow pass through his coat and buff waistcoat.
He discharged his gun into the bushes, and it was
burst by the heavy charge it contained. He gave
the alarm and returned to his post, after which
he was again fired at. The next day an assemblage
of men made a demonstration which frightened
away the marauders for some time. In 1637 Mr.
Walker was a member of the committee which
made division of the common lands of the com-
munity, and in 1638 he received an allotment of
two hundred acres, upland and meadow. In 1645
he accompanied Robert Bridges and Thomas Mar-
shall in negotiating with Lord de la Tour and
Monsieur D'Aulney, governors of French provinces
on the north. As reward for his services in this
expedition Lieutenant Walker received four pounds
sterling. In 1657 he was one of those who deposed
as witnesses against the claim to Nahant of Thomas
Dexter, who had purchased it from an Indian for
a. suit of clothes. In 1678 he was one of the select-
men, then called "the Seven Prudential Men." The
name appears in the muster roll of the Honorable
Artillery Company of England in 1620. Upon the
petition to the general court made by the new troop
of Lynn, formed in 1679, that he be its commander
(which petition was granted), he is called "Captain
Walker." He was by occupation a farmer. His
wife, Sarah, was the administratrix of his estate.
He had two sons and two daughters, and may have
had others. The elder son, Richard, born in Eng-
land in 161 1, was at Reading in 1635, and repre-
sented that town several times in the general court.
The other receives extended mention below. His
daughter Tabitha was married March 11, 1662, to
Daniel King ; and the other, Elizabeth, married
Ralph King March 2, 1663.

(II) Samuel, younger son of Richard Walker,
was born in England, and came with his father to
New England in 1630. He settled first in Reading,
which was originally Lynn Village, and moved
thence to Woburn (formerly Charlestown Village),
where he is found of record in a tax list of 1655,
and again February 25, 1662, having been appointed



a surveyor of highways at a town meeting of that
date. He was selectman in 1668. He was a maltster,
and in 1662 received the first license to sell spirits
granted in Woburn. It seems that his good
nature at one time overrode his judgment, as it
is of record that he was fined ten shillings for sell-
ing to a notorious toper, the latter being fined five
shillings at the same time for being drunk. That
he was a man of character and standing is evi-
denced by the fact that he was one of a committee
of five appointed at a meeting held March 28, 1667.
empowered to divide the public lands. For this
service the committee received seven acres for
themselves, in addition to the several allotments to
them as individuals. He died November 6, 1684,
aged about seventy. His first wife, whose name is
unknown, bore him seven children, namely: Samuel,
Joseph, Hannah (died at four months), Hannah,
Israel, John, Benjamin. (Mention of Israel and
descendants appears in this article). His second
wife, Ann, was the widow of Arthur Alger of
Scarborough, and daughter of Giles Roberts of that
place. She died in Woburn March 21, 1716. She
was the mother of Mr. Walker's two youngest chil-
dren, namely: Isaac and Ezekiel.

(III) Samuel (2), eldest son of Samuel (i)
Walker, is entitled successively in the records of
Woburn, corporal, sergeant and deacon, and was
evidently a man of importance and influence in
the town. He served as selectman in 1679 and re-
peatedly afterwards. After the imprisonment of
the tyrant Sir Edmund Andros, who sought to cur-
tail the liberties of the colonists while governor of
New England, Mr. Walker was a delegate to the
convention held in Boston in 1689 to form a new
system of government, and in 1694 was representa-
tive of Woburn in the general court. He was made
a deacon of the church in 1692 and continued in
that office until his death, which occurred January
18, 1703, at the age of sixty-one years. He was mar-
ried September 10, 1662, to Sarah Reed, of Woburn
(daughter of William and Mabel Reed), who bore
him six sons and a daughter. She died November i,
1681, and he was married April 18, 1692. to Abigail,
daughter of Captain John Carter, widow of Lieu-
tenant James Fowle of Woburn. His eldest son
Edward was killed by Indians in battle at Wheel-
wright's Pond, Lee, New Hampshire, July 6, 1690.
The others were named John, Samuel, Sarah,
Timothy, Isaac and Ezekiel. (Mention of Isaac
and descendants appears in this article). The
daughter, Sarah, became the wife of Edward John-
son, a son of Major William Johnson, and grand-
son of Captain Edward Johnson, founder of Wo-
burn.

(IV) Samuel (3), third son of Samuel (2) and
Sarah (Reed) Walker, was born January 25, 1668,
in Woburn, and was married June i, 1689, to Judith
Howard of Concord, Massachusetts. P'or several
years he lived on Maple Meadow Plain, in that part
of Goshen, now Wilmington. In 1725 he moved to
the southern part of Burlington (then Woburn) and
resided in a house which was still standing in the
middle of the last century, and in which he died
September 28. 1744, in his seventy-seventh year. He
was made a deacon of the First Church of Woburn
in 1709, and when the Second Church was formed
in what is now Burlington, he aided in its organiza-
tion, and was one of the ten signers of the articles of
agreement and church covenant made November 10,
1735- He was one of those who ordained Rev.
Supply Clapp as its first pastor. October 29, of that
year, and was elected one of the first two deacons
November 10 following. He continued in that
office until his death, and was buried in the old



1676



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Burlington burying ground. His wife, Judith, died
November 14, 1724, in her lifty-seventh year, and
he subsequently married Mary (Richardson), widow
of James Fowle. She survived him four years,
passing away October 23, 1748, in her eightieth
year. The tirst wife was the mother of his chil-
dren, namely: Sarali (married Samuel Buck), Ju-
dith (married, first, Ephraim Kendall and, second,
Samuel Johnson), Abigail (died at twenty-one),
Samuel, Hannah (married Edward Wyman) John
(died at two weeks old), John (died one month
old), Mary (married Benjamin Johnson), Timothy
and Phebe (wife of Noah Richardson).

(V) Rev. Timothy, son of Deacon Samuel (3)
and Judith (Howard) Walker, was born July 27,
1705, in Woburn, and died at Concord September
I, 1782. As the first settled pastor of Penacook,
later Rumford and now Concord, he exercised a
powerful influence upon the community because of
his learning and ability and his solicitude for the
temporal, as well as the spiritual, welfare of his
flock. He was graduated from Harvard College in
1725, at the age of twenty years, and was probably
for a time at Penny Cook. That he was known
favorably to the people is indicated by the fact that
the plantation voted in October, 1729, to raise one
hundred pounds for minister's salary and March
31, 1730, to engage Rev. Timothy Walker as pastor.
Upon his acceptance it was agreed that the salary
should be increased two pounds per year until it
reached one hundred and twenty pounds, and a
stipulation was made that a reduction should be
accepted in proportion to his ability when great age
should weaken his powers. It is apparent that
the New England fathers were careful, as well as
pious ■ business man. This settlement included his
right to a proprietary share set aside for the first
minister, and the colony kindly voted him one
hundred pounds with which to build a house, and
this was increased by a further vote of fifty pounds
January 16, 1734. He was ordained as pastor No-
vember 18, 1730, and was reckoned among the town
proprietors for that time. When the second appro-
priation was made for his house a proviso was made
that he receipt in full for salary to date, this being
deemed prudent because of the depreciation in value
of silver in which he had been paid. In 1736 he
was granted fifty pounds, to secure the clearing of
pasture for his use. At the time of his ordination,
Benjamin Rolfe, the newly elected town clerk, also
a graduate of Harvard, was the only educated man
in the settlement beside himself, and they naturally
took prominent positions in the management of
affairs. Mr. Walker being the senior and looked up
to on account of his position, was regarded and re-
spected as the father of the community, as in truth
he was. Many of the petitions and other public
papers of the time were drafted by him, and he
undertook to defend the rights of the town in its
lands, which others sought to obtain. Finding no
redress before the general court of New Hamp-
shire because of the fact that the grant of Rum-
ford was made by the Massachusetts colony (under
th supposition that it was within its jurisdiction),
Mr. Walker made three trips to England to lay the
matter before the King in Council, between 1753
and 1762. He made many acquaintances among
ecclesiastics and public men in these visits, and im-
pressed them so favorably that he won his suit on
the last trial in the fall of 1762, and the people of
what is now Concord enjoyed their possessions little
disturbed by white men thereafter. Up to 1739 the
Penacook Indians had been friendly to the 'settle-
ment, especially regarding Mr. Walker, but the
machinations of the French people on the north



stirred up Indian animosity and more distant tribes
began to threaten disaster. In 1739 a garrison was
established about the house of Mr. Walker and at
other points, and these were maintained during
the King George war. Just before the battle of
Bennington, during the revolution, a messenger
approached the church while Mr. Walker was
preaching, and upon his entrance the preacher
asked him if he had any communication to deliver.
Being informed that men were desired to proceed
at once to the field of danger, Mr. Walker said:
"As many of my hearers as are willing to go had
better start immediately."

The first home of Mr. Walker was in a log
house in the brow of Horseshoe Pond hill, and his
frame house was constructed in 1733-4. After
various alterations, it is now occupied by his great-
grandson. He was a man of medium stature, of
fine figure and dignified and pleasing manners.
Though not talkative, he was not austere, and some-
times became facetious. Naturally of hasty temper,
he held himself under superb control, and never
failed to ask pardon if he had injured anyone's feel-
ings. Exact in business and daily life, he was held
in high regard by all his flock. With mild blue
eye and fair complexion, he wore, in accordance
with the custom of the time, large powdered wig,
with small clothes and large buckle shoes. The
"History of Concord," by his third successor. Rev.
Nathaniel Bouton,- gives many anecdotes of his life,
and other interesting matters not permissible in the
limitations of a work of this kind, and herewith
follow extracts from that work, touching the teach-
ings of Mr. Walker : "As a preacher, Mr. Walker
was instructive and practical, dwelling more on the
duties than the doctrines of religion. * * * jjjg
style was good for that period, perspicuous and
didactic, with but few illustrations, but well sup-
ported with quotations from scripture. In his
theological views Mr. Walker was 'orthodox,' ac-
cording to existing standards. * * * In distinction
from those preachers who in his day were called
"New Lights,' he was accused of being an xA.rminian,
Init called himself a "moderate Calvanist.' He was
highly conservative, as regarded innovations and
new measures. * * * At this tiine all of Mr.
Walker's hearers were of one way of thinking in
religious matters, and his object was to keep them
together and make them steadfast in the 'religion
and church order which was very dear to our
forefathers.' " During his ministry of nearly fifty-
two years he enjoyed vigorous health, and was able
to preach nearly every Sunday down to his death,
which occurred immediately after he arose on a
Sunday morning. The town of Concord erected at
his grave a slate slab, which is still standing in the
old cemetery.

Of the children of Rev. Timothy Walker, his
namesake receives extended mention hereinafter.
His wife, Sarah Burbeen, was a daughter of James
Burbeen, of Woburn, Massachusetts. She was born
June 17, 1 701, was married to Mr. Walker, Novem-
ber 12, 1730, and came at once to her wilderness
home in New Hampshire, riding on horseback, and
accompanied by several other women, wives of
settlers. She passed away February 19, 1778, and
her body rests beside her husband's. Sarah, their
first born died when four years old. _ Sarah, the
third, born August 6, 1739, married Benjamin Rolfe
and, after his death, in 1772, Benjamin Thompson,
afterward Count Rumford. Their daughter be-
came Countess Sarah Rumford. Mary, born De-
cember 7. 1742, married Dr. Ebenezer Harnden
Goss, of Concord, and who removed to Brunswick,
and later to Paris, Maine. Judith, the youngest, born




HOUSE OF FIRST MINISTER AT CONCORD



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1677



December 4, 1744, became the wife of Major Abiel
Chandler (see Chandler VI) and lived in Con-
cord, and after his decease became the wife of
Henry Rolfe, of the same town.

(.VI) Timothy (.2), only son and second child
of Rev. Timothy Walker, was born June 26, 1737,
in Concord and reared on the paternal farm. He
is said to have been a favorite among the Indians,
who often decorated him with paint and feathers
and entertained him at their homes. His father
gave attention to his education and sent him to
Harvard College when he was fifteen years of age,
and he completed the regular course at the age of
nineteen years, graduating in 1756. For two years
thereafter he taught school at Bradford, Massa-
chusetts, and meantime and subsequently pursued
a theological course, partly presumably with his
father. He was examined at an association meet-
ing in Haverhill, Massachusetts, and licensed to
preach September 11, 1759. During the absence of
his father in England, 1762-3, he preached at Rum-
ford and other places. He continued preaching
about six years, and invited to settle as pastor at
Rindge, but had become immersed in business and
never settled in that capacity at any point, though
frequently filling the pulpit there and elsewhere for
a time. He formed a partnership with Colonel
Andrew McMillan in the mercantile business No-
vember 25, 1765, and continued one year in trade
with him at the southern end of the village of Rum-
ford, after which he kept a store which he opened
near his father's residence (at the upper and of
the present Main street) until the time of the revo-
lution.

He was zealous in prosecuting the struggle for
American liberty and his time was chiefly occupied
in the service of his country from the beginning
of hostilities. He was a member of the fourth
provincial congress which assembled at Exeter, New
Hampshire, IMay 17, 1775. On the third day he
was appointed a member of the committee to secure
supplies for New Hampshire troops, then in the
vicinity of Boston. In August he was sent, with
Mr. Ichabod Rawlings, to ascertain the losses sus-
tained by New Hampshire men at the battle of
Bunker Hill, and make them compensation, as well
as to advance a month's pay to those who had en-
listed in the Continental service. These duties were
performed to the acceptance of the provincial con-
gress, and the record makes interesting reading, as
found in the seventh volume of New Hampshire
State Papers. Mr. Walker was commissioned Sep-
tember 5, 1775, as colonel of the third of four
regiments of ]\Iinute-men raised by New Hamp-
shire, and immediately proceeded to drill his troops
and prepare for action when needed. From the
fourth to the sixteenth of October he was payma-ster
of troops under Colonels Stark, Poor and Reid, at
Winter Hill, and was again appointed to that duty
December 2."] by the provincial congress. On June
II, 1776, he was a member of the committee ap-
pointed by the house of representatives which suc-
ceeded the provincial congress, under a temporary
constitution, to draft a Declaration of Independence.
This draft was adopted and at once forwarded to
the continental congress in session at Philadelphia.
Soon after Colonel Walker was placed upon a com-
mittee to devise a systematic plan of finance which
should pay the indebtedness of the state and pro-
vide for impending obligations. When the associ-
ated test was sent out by the continental congress,
Colonel Walker was among the first to sign and
his influence aided in securing the signature of
every one to whom it was presented in Concord —
one hundred and fifty-six in all. From July S, 1776,



he served to January 20, 1777, on the committee of
safety. From December of that year until Decem-
ber, 1779, he was a member of the council, and on
March 26, 1777, he was chosen by the legislature
as a delegate to the continental congress, and again
in 1778, 1782 and 1785, though he never attended.
He was delegate from Concord to the constitutional
conventions of 1778 and 1781, and on constitutional
revision in 1791. In 1777 he became associate justice
of the court of common pleas, and continued upon
the bench until retired by reason of the age limit,
being chief justice from 1804 to 1809, when he
retired. He was three times a candidate for gover-
nor, being the first Democratic candidate, but was
defeated by the overwhelming strength of the
Federal party in the state. While participating in
the larger concerns of state, he did not despise the
aft'airs of his native town, and was moderator
twenty-one years between 1769 and 1809. For nine
years beginning with 1769 he was town clerk and
was selectman twenty-five years, being chairman
of the board all except four. He was instrumental
in bringing the legislature, of which he was a mem-
ber, to meet in Concord in 1782, and was ever ready
to advance his home town in every way. He felt
an especial interest in the young men of the town,
and was wont to aid them with counsel or pecuniary
assistance, as the case demanded. His long public
service testifies to his ability, powerful character
and uprightness, without further comment. He
passed away at his home in Concord May 5, 1822,
in his eighty-fifth year.

He was married, previous to 1764, to Susannah
Burbeen, who was born April 11, 1746, in Woburn,
Massachusetts, daughter of Rev. Joseph Burbeen.
She died at Concord September 28, 1828, in her
eighty-third year. Of her fourteen children, ten
grew to maturity, and are accounted for as follows :
Sarah, born January 21, 1764, married Major Daniel
Livermore; she was a widow fifty years, and died
in 1843 at Cambridge, Massachusetts. Charles, born
September 25, 1765, was a lawyer and lived in
Concord. Timothy, born February 2, 1767, was a
farmer in Concord. Esther, the ninth, died un-
married at the age of twenty-five years. Betsey,
born April 15, 1780, was the wife of Ehphalet
Emery of Concord, and died in 1825. Joseph, born
January 12, 1782, resided in Concord. Bridget, born
January 1, 1784, married Jotham Stone, and died
in Brunswick, ]\Iaine, in 1805. Polly, born March
22, 1786, became the wife of Charles Emery of Con-
cord, and after his death of Hon. Francis N. Fiske,
of the same place, where she died. Clarissa, born
July 27, 1788, married Levi Bartlett, and died m
1845 in Boston.

(IV) Isaac, fifth son of Samuel (2) and Sarah
(Reed) Walker, was born November i, 1677, ni
Woburn. and was one of the original grantees of
what is now Concord, New Hampshire. He was
married February 20, 1704, to Margery, daughter of
George Bruce, and their children were: Abigail,
Isaac, Ezekiel, Timothy, Anne, William, Elizabeth.
Marv and Samuel.

(V) Samuel, youngest child of Isaac and
Margery (Bruce) Walker, was born August 10,
1723, in Woburn, and lived in Amesbury, Massa-
chusetts. He was among the twenty-one pro-
prietors of "No. I," now the town of Warner, New
Hampshire, who agreed at a meeting in Amesbury,
August 9, 1763, to settle in that town. Like many
others, he fulfilled this agreement by proxy, and
his son Isaac is found among the first settlers of
the town.

(VI) Isaac (2), son of Samuel Walker, settled
in that part of Warner known as "Schoodac," but



1678



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



soon moved to another location, within half a mile
of the first. The Schoodac cemetery is on part of
his first farm. He was a soldier of the revolution,
going from Warner, in which town he passed his
life after that struggle, engaged in agriculture.

(VII) Philip, son of Isaac (2) Walker, was
born in 1763 and died in 1848, in Warner, on the
paternal homestead. His eldest son, William B.,
born 1791, died 1872. He had several children, all
of whom, except Mary E. Walker, of Concord, are
deceased, leaving no issue. Jane, the tliird child,
died unmarried. Sarah, the fourth, married Wil-
liam Trusscll, of Boscawen, and died childless.

(VIII) Isaac (3), second son and child of
Philip Walker, was born June 6, 1794, in Warner,
where he passed his life, and died January 31,
1872. He was a farmer, and always lived on the
ancient homestead. He married Mittie Clough, of
Warner, and had two sons, Abiel and Reuben. The
latter died when about fifteen years of age.

(IX) Abiel, elder son of Isaac (3) and Mittie
I Clough) Walker, was born January 15, 1824, on
the paternal homestead, where most of his life was
passed. When a young man he went to Lowell,
Massachusetts, and was employed there some years
as a house painter. There he was married May i,
1850, to Mary Powers, daughter of a Methodist
minister of Maine. About 1855 they settled on the
old Walker place in Warner, and continued to re-
side there until the death of Mr. Walker, in De-
cember, 1893. His widow subsequently resided with
her son in Concord, where she passed away in June,
1903. Mr. Walker was liberal in religious views,
and was a firm Republican in politics.

(X) Reuben Eugene, only child of Abiel and
Mary (Powers) Walker, now justice of the su-
preme court of New Hampshire, was born Febru-
ary 15, 1851, in Lowell, Massachusetts, and was a
child when his parents removed to Warner. In
the common schools of that town he received his
primary education, and was subsequently a student
at the New London Literary and Scientific Institu-
tion (now Colby Academy) and Brown University,
graduating from the latter in the class of 1875. He
immediately entered upon the study of law with
Sargent & Chase, of Concord, and was admitted to
the bar in 1878. It is worthy of note that he is
now a colleague of one of his preceptors on the
supreme bench of the state (see Chase). He
formed a partnership with Robert A. Ray, now of
Keenc, this state, under the style of Ray & Walker,
and continued to practice under this arrangement
for about five years, after which he practiced alone
about eight years, all in Concord. On April i, 1891,
he became associated with Frank S. Streeter, of
that city, and this arrangement continued ten years,
being ended by the appointment of Mr. Walker as
justice of the supreme court, in which capacity he
has since served. This is not the first recognition
of his worth and legal ability, as he was county
solicitor of Merrimack county from 1889 to 1891,
and a member of the legislature in 1895, represent-
ing Ward Six of Concord. He is one of the au-
thors of "Ray & Walker's Citations," a legal refer-
ence work of standard merit. Always an indus-
trious worker. Judge Walker brought to the public
service a trained mind, and is still a steady worker,
giving undivided attention to the duties of his re-



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 40 of 149)