Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 41 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 41 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sponsible position and serving his state acceptably
and well. In religious faith he is a Unitarian, and
he gives unfaltering support to the principles of
public policy which seem to him just and best for
the general welfare, as promulgated by the Repub-
lican party. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Mary
E., daughter of Lowell Brown, of Concord. She



was born July 22, 1848, and died July 21, 1903.
Their only child. Bertha May, born June 18, 1879,
resides with her father.

(III) Israel, third son and fourth child of
Samuel (i) Walker (twin of Hannah), was born
June 28, 1648, in Woburn, where he lived and
died. By his wife, Susannah, he had four sons,
Israel (died young), Henry, Nathaniel and Israel.

(IV) Lieutenant Henry Walker appears in Hop-
kinton, Massachusetts, in 1725, when he was one of
the selectmen, and also served in that office in
1726, 1727-28-29-30. He was moderator in 1727-28-
29-30, and clerk in 1727-28 and 1730. Among those
from Hopkinton in the expedition against the West
Indies, in 1741, were Henry Walker and Henry
Walker, Junior. The latter was the only one from
Hopkinton that came back, the rest having perished.
There were brobably other sons of Lieutenant Henry
Walker, as the records show Thomas, Jason, Israel
and Joseph to have been active and prominent
citizens, all holding responsible offices repeatedly.
With the exception of four years, the first of these
was selectman continuously from 1736 to 1749. In
1725 he was on the committee to raise the meeting
house. He was town treasurer from 1736 to 1738
and from 1741 to 1752. From 1750 to 1755 he was
town. clerk. From 1761 to 1768 Jason Walker was
treasurer. It is probable that Jason, Israel and
Joseph were sons of Thomas, as they succeeded him
in turn as selectman and in other town offices. One
of these was probably the father of Jacob Walker,
noticed below.

(VII) Jacob Walker was among the proprietors
of Morristown, Vermont, which was settled by peo-
ple from Hopkinton and Winchendon, Massachu-
setts. Heminway's "Historical Gazetteer of Ver-
mont" says that he came from Bennington, Ver-
mont, but the records of that town give no account
of him. This makes it . appear that he was only
a transient resident of Bennington. There can be
little doubt that he came originally from Hop-
kinton. He was the first to locate in Morristown,
coming there in .1790. During the first season he
boarded with a family located in the adjoining town
of Hyde Park, and started out every Monday morn-
ing with a week's provisions, spending the time in
camp on his land, engaged in clearing away the
forest. He returned to Bennington for the winter,
and brought his family in the spring. That season
was spent upon the land and in the fall they re-
turned to Bennington for the winter. He made a
permanent settlement in 1792, and became one of the
prosperous farmers of the town. He built a brick
house which is still in use, on the west side of the
road from Morristown to Morrisville, and cleared
up and tilled a large farm.

(VIII) William, son of Jacob Walker, was born
July I, 1814, in Morristown, and died March 20,
1902, in Manchester, this state. He grew up on the
paternal farm, attending the local school, and en-
gaged in farming until he was incapacitated for
hard labor, being located upon a part of his father's
original homestead. By the kick of a horse, several
of his ribs were broken, affecting his heart, and he
was obliged to abandon farming. He built and
operated for several years a mill for extracting the
oil of flaxseed. About i860 he moved to East
Andover, New Hampshire, and was employed some
time as wheelwright and carpenter. After living
a short time in Concord he passed the last thirty-
two years of his life in Manchester, where he died
as above noted. He was a firm believer in the
doctrines of the Advent Church, and a staunch
Republican from the organization of that party.
His wife, Rhoda Story, was a native of Vermont,




a.



SuCfccr.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1679



daughter of Jacob (?) Story. Thcv had onl}- one
child.

(IX) Stilman DeWitt, only child of William
and Rhoda (Story) Walker, was born July 10,
1847, in Morristown, and was about thirteen years
old when the family rnoved to Andover, this
state. He attended the public schools of Vermont
and New Hampshire, and was a student at Andover
Academy. At the age of seventeen years he began
his railroading career as brakeman ^on a freight
train on the Concord railroad, and continued in this
service thirty-five years, resigning in January, 1900.
For three years he was conductor of a freight train,
and was passenger train conductor fifteen years.
Having retired from the road, Mr. Walker invested
his savings in real estate, and spends his time
chiefly in the care of his tenements on South State
street, Concord. While in the. railroad service he
kept up membership in the Order of Railway Con-
ductors, and was for several years a member of
the Knights of Pythias. He was among the or-
ganizers of the Christian Science Church of Con-
cord, and is one of its most faithful adherents. In
politics he is a Republican, but has never given any
time to public matters, beyond registering his sup-
port of his principles.

Mr. Walker was married, October 7, 1873, to
Nettie S. Virgin, daughter of William Virgin, of
Concord. She died March 20, 1882, and Mr. Walker
was married, in October, 1882, to Mrs. Alma B. Buz-
zell, widow of Charles S. Buzzell, and daughter of
Porter and Lorinda (Reed) Dow, of Walden, Ver-
mont. Charles S. Buzzell was a son of Gilbert
Buzzell, one of the oldest residents of Concord.
Mrs. Walker's daughter, Genevieve Buzzell, is now
the wife of Jesse C. Danforth, of Braintree, Massa-
chusetts. She is a native of Concord, where she
is known and appreciated as a talented singer.
(Second Family.)
(I) A line of Walker ancestry not
W'ALKER hereinbefore traced begins, as far as
now known, with Archibald Walker,
a tailor, who immigrated from Scotland and settled
in Province, Rhode Island, where he was as late as
1700. He is reported by tradition to have been a
very worthy man. He married Mary Gardner, and
had the following children : Charles, Susanna, Abi-
gail, Hezekiah, Nathaniel and Ann.

(II) Nathaniel, third son and fifth child of
Archibald and Mary (Gardner) Walker, was born
1708, in Providence, and settled when a young man
in Weston, Massachusetts. He was admitted to the
church in Weston, 1728. He was a captain and an
active man in town afifairs. In 1748 he removed to
Sturbridge, Massachusetts, where he died February
8, 1783. He was married, March 8, 1732, to Subrhit
Brewer, born July 18, 1709, died in Sturbridge, No-
vember 22, 1791, daughter of Lieutenant John and
Mary (Jones) Brewer, of Weston. Lieutenant John
was a son of John Brewer, of Sudbury, Massachu-
setts, Nathaniel and Submit Walker were the
parents of James. Nathaniel, Phineas, Lydia, Josiah,
Submit, Asa, Joel, ]\lary, Benjamin, Lucy, Benjamin
and Beulah. Ten children were born in Weston and
three in Sturbridge. Eleven of these children lived to
an average age of over eighty-three years. The rec-
ords of Weston show that the north precinct of
the town voted November 10, 1747, to pay two
pounds, fifteen shillings and six pence to Nathaniel
Walker for work on the meeting house. From this
it may be inferred that he was a carpenter.

(HI) James, eldest child of Nathaniel and
Submit (Brewer) Walker, was born November 15,
1732, in Weston, and was among the first settlers



of Belchertown, Massachusetts, where he located in
1755- He served in the French and Indian war in
1757, and was captain of the ninth company of the
Fourth New Hampshire Regiment in the Revolution.
He was selectman of the town in 1783 and 1786-87.
He died in 1806, in his seventy-fourth year. He was
married twice, and had eight sons, five of whom re-
sided in Belchertown.

(IV) Nathaniel (2), sixth son of James and
Esther (Shummy) Walker, was born April 30, 1770,
in Belchertown, where he passed his life, engaged in
farming, and reached a great age. He was married,
Alarch 4, 1799, to Thankful Morse, and they had
children named : Morse, Orimcl, Nathaniel B.,
Appleton, Wayne, Eliza (Blackman), James and
Emeline (Chapman).

(V) Nathaniel Brewer, son of Nathaniel (2)
and Thankful (Morse) Walker, was born March 13,
1812, in Belchertown, and died in Concord, New
Hampshire, January, 1887. He was educated in the
common schools of his native town, and afterward
learned the trade of silver plater, at which he worked
in Albany, New York, and other places, finally com-
ing to Concord from Boston, Massachusetts, about
1843. He bought the interest of Mr. Chandler, of
the firm of Blackman & Chandler, the former being
a brother-in-law of Mr. Walker, and the new firm
took the name of Blackman & Walker, silver platers.
Later Leland A. Smith purchased an interest in
the firm which then took the name of Jason Black-
man & Company. On the retirement of Mr. Black-
man in January, 1855, the firm name became Smith
& Walker. From that time the firm remained un-
changed until the death of Mr. Walker. The busi-
ness, which at first was confined to silver plating,
subsequently included saddlery hardware, wdiich in
a few years became the principal feature ot the
business. During the last year of the firm's existence
the business was almost exclusively wholesale. The
firm of Smith & Walker was prosperous, and each
of the partners possessed a competency before the
death of ■Mr. Walker. He was a Republican and a
member of the city council two years. In religious
faith he was a Universalist. The only social organ-
ization of which he was a member was the Webster
Club. . His character as a business man was very
high, and he was noted for his honesty and in-
tegritv.

He married (first) Abby Ellinwood, of Antrnn,
who died about 1867, by whom he had two children:
Edward, who died in Boston about 1901, and Charles
H., a graduate of Harvard College, now a physician
in Pasadena, California. He married (second), June
2, 1873, Lorinda A. Adams, ^ daughter of Nathaniel
and Betsy S. (Kimball) Patch, widow of Stephen
D. Adams. She was born in Henniker, September
20, 1834, and had one child by her first marriage:
Eugene P. Adams, born in Concord, December 10,
1864. Lorinda A. Patch is a granddaughter of
Reuben Patch, a Revolutionary soldier, who resided
in New Boston, and soon after 1797 removed to
Henniker (see Patch, V).

The thickening mill has left us sev-
WALKER eral words of familiar import, among

which is Walker. Claiming as it
does an almost unrivalled position in the rolls of
our nomenclature, it reminds us of the early fashion
of treading out the cloth before the adaptations
of machinery were brought to bear on this phase of
the craft. Walker has disappeared as a term of
trade, and it is in the directories alone that the
name declaring the forgotten mysteries of early
English cloth manufacture can be found.



i68o



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



(I J George Walker was born in England. He
received a common school education, and by occu-
pation was a gardener. In later life by diligence
and skill he became a head gardener. He was a
member of the Church of England. His wife's
baptismal name was Jvlartha, and they had four
children : Hannah, Isaac, William, Betty and
George.

(H) Isaac, eldest son and second child of
George and Martha Walker, was born in Warwick-
shire, England, November 22, 1801. After getting
such education as he could in the common schools,
he worked in coal mines and cotton mills for years.
In his later life he accompanied Dinah Murray in
preaching tours about the country. He married
(.first), June 4, 1823, Alary Part; and (second)
Maria Anthony. By the first wife he had three chil-
dren : Samuel, Mary and William ; and by the
second, six children : Sarah, Martha, Isaac, Anna,
George and Lydia.

(HI) Isaac (2), third child and eldest son of
Isaac (i) and Maria (Anthony) Walker, was born
in Derbyshire, England, May 5, 1838. After getting
a common school education he worked in a tape
factory at Worksworth until he was sixteen years
old. in 1856 he left England, and came to America
via Liverpool and Boston on the "Wilderforley,"
landing at the latter place in 1856. In Boston he
learned the trade of carriage smith, and later be-
came master mechanic in the rope factory of Soule
& Day, where he was employed twenty-five years.
In 1903 he removed to Merrimack, New Hampshire,
and bought a farm of eleven acres, where he has
since resided. Mr. Walker is a member of the
Episcopal Church, and has always devoted much
of his time and attention to religion and religious
subjects. He was licensed as a local preacher in
England, and as such preached there. He continued
this after settling in Boston, and was the principal
assistant of the evangelist Henry Morgan. Since
settling in Merrimack he has continued to preach,
though now retired. It was through his efforts that
the Sunday school at Merrimack was revived. In
politics he is a Republican.

He married, in Roxbury, Massachusetts, March
17. 1859, Hannah Ball, who was born in Holland
March 14, 1839, daughter of Cornelius and Wil-
helmina (Warner) Ball. She is one of thirteen chil-
dren, only two of whom are now living. They have
had six children: Samuel; Willie, died young;
Isaac, died young; Charles L. ; Anna Marie; and
Mary, died young. Mrs. Walker is a member of the
Baptist Advent Church.



The earliest known ancestor of this
WALKER line was Charles Walker, of Brad-
ford (now Groveland) Massachu-
setts, who was married August 29, 1/73, to a Miss
Mary Atwood, of that town. She was born April
15, 1752, daughter of John and Mary Atwood.
Their children were : James, David and Jonathan
(twins), Betsey and William. No record of his re-
moval has been found, and it is presumed that he
lived and died there.

(II) William, youngest child of Charles Walker,
was born August 25, 1786, in Bradford, and was
married February 25, 1808, at Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, to Betsey Gay. She was the daughter of
a sea captain, and is supposed to have been born
in Salem, Massachusetts, tradition giving that as
her birthplace. After his marriage William Walker
resided for a time in Chester, New Hampshire,
whence he removed about 1824 to Amoskeag. Dur-
ing the first year of his residence there he kept a



hotel, and later was landlord of a tavern some
years at " 'Squag," now a part of West Manchester.
He was the first landlord of the Amoskeag House,
which is still standing at Amoskeag, also now a
part of Manchester. In 1830 he moved to Andover
Center, where he conducted a tavern until 1835,
when he removed to Concord and became the pro-
prietor of the Washington Tavern, and a year later
of the Eagle Coffee House, situated on the site
now occupied by the Eagle Hotel. This tavern was
the most noted establishment of its kind in New
Hampshire, and was patronized by the representa-
tive people who visited the state capital. He died
August 2, 1858, in Concord. Mr. Walker was a
capable business man, and fond of good horses.
A fine black horse owned by him was bought and
presented to General (afterwards President) Pierce,
by his admirers in 1847, in the time of the Mexican'
war. William Walker and Betsey Gay, who was
born January 16, 1790, and died March 22, 1862,
in Concord, were the parents of Sarah Bradley (died
in infancy), William, James Parsons, Nancy Long,
born December 19, 1819, who married Cyrus Hill,
November 26, 1838, and died October 13, 1897, at
Lancaster; and Gustavus.

(Ill) Gustavus, third son of William and Bet-
sey (Gay) Walker, was born at Amoskeag, May
7, 1830, and died May 5, 1902, aged almost seventy-
two years. Before he was a year old his father
removed his family to Andover Center, where the
next five years of the boy's life were spent. In De-
cember, 1835, the family removed to Concord, where
William Walker became proprietor of the Wash-
ington Tavern, and a year later of the famous Eagle
Coffee House, which he conducted until 1849. Gus-
tavus was educated in the schools of Concord, at
Hopkinton under the tuition of John O. Ballard, at
Portsmouth under Master Harris, at Phillips An-
dover Academy, under "Uncle Sam" Taylor, and
at Northfield Seminary. His familiarity from the
age of five to nineteen years with the guests at his
father's hotels gave him an extensive acquaintance
which proved of much value to him in after years,
in 1846 he became messenger for Cheney & Com-
pany, who were the successors of his brother Wil-
liam Walker in the express business, continuing
in this capacity till the latter part of the year 1849.
In the season of 1850 and 185 1 he was clerk of the
steamer "Lady of the Lake," on Lake Winnipiseo-
gee, built and commanded by William Walker.

March i, 1852, Gustavus Walker and Hon. David
A. Warde formed a partnership and engaged in the
hardware business in Concord under the firm name
of Warde & Walker. Three years later (1855) Mr.
Walker embarked in the same business in the
Phoenix block, under his own name, and for thirty-
eight years thereafter, was one of Concord's most
honored and active merchants. Retiring in 1883
with a competency, he devoted himself to the care
of his own property and the estate of his brother
William, who had died without issue the year
previously. The two properties were extensive and
embraced some of the most desirable pieces of real
estate in Concord. In his early years Mr. Walker
became deeply interested in the question of trans-
portation, and this interest remained through life.
To the matter of obtaining for Concord the best
possible railway connections he gave his earnest
attention. He was largely instrumental in securing
the construction of the Peterborough and Hills-
borough railroad, and was an ardent advocate of the
building of the Concord and Rochester railroad, of
which he was president. He was long an active
member of the Concord fire department. Mr.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1 68 1



Walker was full of activity and energy ; he knew
what labor is and delighted to perform it, and en-
joy the fruits of his toil. He knew the results of
industry; and never forgot that energy and industry
directed by good judgment, must win. His life
record is an epitome and an illustration of what
the exercise of these virtues brings to him who
avails himself of them. Naturally honorable, he
ever kept in view the fact that an untarnished
record is a man's highest recommendation. His
life was one of honor and usefulness to the com-
munity in which he lived. He married, January
30, 1865, JNIary Clintina Butler, born January 31,
1844, in Greentield, New Hampshire, eldest daugh-
ter of John D. and jNIary Colby (Burnham) Butler,
of Bennington, who survives him. Two children of
this marriage died before their majority.



This somewhat numerous family is
LEAVITT descended principally from two very

early English immigrants, John and
Thomas Leavitt. Nothmg is known of the time
of Thomas Leavitt's arrival in America, or from
what part of England he came, although it is prob-
able that he was from Lincolnshire or its vicinity,
as were his connections, the Hutchinsons, the Wheel-
wrights and the Wentworths. He may have been a
brother of John Leavitt, the immigrant. In 1639
he was not twenty-one years of age.

(I) Thomas Leavitt, one of the first settlers
of Exeter, and a signer of the "Combination" in .
1639, removed to Hampton as early as 1644. After
his marriage he lived on the Asten homestead, and
died November 28, 1696, aged "above eighty." He
married Isabella (Bland) Asten, daughter of Joshua
and Joanna Bland, of Colchester, England, and
widow of Francis Asten, who died a year or two
before. She died February 19, 1700. Their children
were: Hezron, Aretas, John, Thomas, James (died
young), Isabel, Jemima and Heriah, but the order is
unknown.

(II) Hezron, son of Thomas and Isabella
(Bland) (Asten) Leavitt, who may have been their
second child, died November 30, 1712, aged un-
known. He married, September 25, 1667, IMartha,
probably a daughter of Anthony and Philippa Taylor,
pioneer settlers, and the first of the name in Hamp-
ton. She died in 1716. Their children were : Lydia,
John, James, Moses, Thomas, Mary, and perhaps
Abigail and Sarah.

(HI) Moses, fourth child and third son of Hez-
ron and Martha (Taylor) Leavitt, was born in
Hampton, January 30, 1674, and died before 1733.
He kept a tavern near the Weare Marston place,
which his widow conducted after his death. It
was burned in 1733 and rebuilt. He married, De-
cember II, 1700, Mary Carr, who died in 1747. They
had six children: Mary, John, Moses (died young),
Sarah, Moses and Anna.

(IV) Captain John, second child and eldest
son of Moses and Mary (Carr) Leavitt, was born in
Hampton, July 24, 1706, and died May 11, 1779.
He kept the tavern after his mother, at the old
stand till 1751, when by invitation of thirty-six
principal inhabitants of North Hampton he removed
to "the Hill'' and built a tavern near the church.
He was a popular landlord, a leading citizen, captain
in the militia, and a justice of the peace. He
married Abial (Marston) Hobbs, who was born
in Hampton, March 23, 1718, and died January 21,
1781. She was the daughter of Thomas and Deb-
orah (Dearborn) Marston, and widow of Benjamin
Hobbs. The children of this union were : Benjamin,



John, Moses, Thomas, Mary, Deborah, Carr, Simon
and Jeremiah.

(V) Benjamin, eldest child of Captain John
and Abial (Marston) Leavitt, was born August 27,
'^12>7, and died in 1801. Like his ancestors he was
an inn-keeper. He married Ruth Sanborn, who
was born in Hampton, September 24, 1740, daughter
of Ebenezer and Ruth (Sanborn) Sanborn, of
Hampton. They had eight children.

(VI) Ebenezer, fifth child of Benjamin and
Ruth (Sanborn) Leavitt, was born Z^Iarch 2, 1771,
and did in 1843. He married, 1792, Sally Jewell,
who died in 185 1.

(VII) William, youngest son of Ebenezer and
Sally (Jewell) Leavitt, was born in 1814, and died
1857. He was a moulder and machinist, and in
1850 went to California, in search of gold. After-
ward he went to British Columbia, where he died.
He married Louisa Dalton.

(VIII) Daniel Eben, son of William and
Louisa (Dalton) Leavitt, was born August 4, 1844, in
Chicopee, now Springfield, Massachusetts, and died
at Wolfboro, New Hampshire, July 26, 1902. He
was educated in the common schools of Rye, New
Hampshire, and at an early age engaged in the
rural peddling business for Frank Jones, of Ports-
mouth. Later he was employed on the estate
of Daniel Pierce, of Portsmouth. Still later
he became bookkeeper for Lyman D. Spauld-
ing, ironmonger, for whom he worked three
years. He then bought the Oren Bragdon shoe
store, which he carried on three years, and then
became collector for Frank Jones, brewer. He
occupied that position twenty years, until failing
health compelled him to retire a few years before
his death. In politics he was a Democrat. He
was a member of Piscataqua Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and also of St. Johns Lodge,
No. I, Free and Accepted ^Masons, of Portsmouth,
and Edward A. Raymond Consistory, Sublime
Princes of the Royal Secret, of Nashua, where he
attained the thirty-second degree of Masonry. He
married, in Portsmouth, April 21, 1868, Ellen Had-
ley, who was born in Portsmouth, daughter of Gen-
eral Josiah Gillis and Ann Perley Hadley, of Dun-
barton.



This family name under the forms
LEAVITT Leavitt, Levitt, Levett, is among those
found on the early records of New
England. Thomas Leavitt was at Exeter, New
Hampshire, as early as 1639. John was of Dor-
chester, Massachusetts, in 1634.

(I) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (i) and AI)iah
Leavitt, was born in Deerfield. New Hampshire,
March 14, 1774. He cleared up a farm in (Gilford
overlooking Lake Winnepesaukee, on whicli his de-
scendants are still living. He married and had
children.

(II) Samuel (3), son of Samuel (2) and ■

Leavitt, was born in Gilford, and was drowned in
Lake Winnepesaukee, with his son Jonatlian. He
married Martha Thurston, and they were the parents
of nine children : Jonathan. Smith, Benjamin,
Daniel, Marj', Roxanna, Abigail, and two who died
young.

(HI) Daniel Leavitt, fourth son and child of
Samuel Leavitt. was born on the farm settled by
his grandfather. May 22, 1833. The death of his
father when Daniel was only a few years old left
him and his two brothers to manage the farm, while
they were yet quite young. But they were counseled
bv a wise mother and succeeded in their efforts as



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 41 of 149)