Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 43 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 43 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and he represented the town of Enfield in the
legislature in 1905; was town treasurer several
years; was postmaster from 1880 to 1885, holding
office three years under Cleveland's administration;
treasurer of village precinct at the present time;
also of the Cemetery Association and of the Uni-
versalist Society. He is one of the best known men
of the vicinity, and commands the fullest confidence
and esteem of his townsmen.

He married, November 14. 1867, Sarah Elizabeth
Currier, of Enfield, New Hampshire. She was born
February 26, 1845, the daughter of Dennison and
Laura Currier, of IManchestcr, New Hampshire.
Their only child is James Currier Clough, born
September 19, 1881, at Enfield, educated in the
public and high schools of his native town, and
at Dean Academy, Franklin, Massachusetts, where
he was graduated in 1904.

(IV) Daniel, fifth son and seventh ■ child of
Samuel and Sarah Clough, was born July 19, 1718,
in Salisbury, and was baptized on the 19th of Oc-
tober succeeding. He resided in Salisbury until
after 1753, when he removed to the town of "White-
field, New Hampshire, and was later a resident of
Meredith in the same state. His last years were
passed in Henniker.

(V) Oliver, son of Daniel Clough, was a native
of Meredith and went with his parents to Henniker
in early childhood. He enlisted in the Third New
Hampshire Regiment, under the command of Colonel
Alexander Scammel, for service in the Revolution-
ary war, and in common with his companions in
arms, endured the privations and exposure sufl^ered
by the American patriots during the struggle for
national independence, and in his declining years he
was granted a pension by the Federal government.
After his return from the army he settled in Mere-
dith, New Hampshire, and his death occurred in that
town November 27, 1847.

(VI) John Kenney, son of Oliver, w^as born in
Henniker. When a young man he went to Maine,
and for a time resided in the town of Gray, but
in 1842 he returned to his native state, locating
permanenth' in Meredith. He married Ellen Lunt
Libbey, a lineal descendant in the seventh generation
of John Libbey, who was born in England in 1602,
emigrated in 1630, and settled in Scarboro, jNIaine.
where he died in 1682. He w^as the progenitor of
most of the Libbeys of New England. Of this union
there were four sons : John F., a resident of J\Ian-
chester and one of the Hillsboro county commis-
sioners; Edwin H., who is now postmaster at ^lan-
chester; Henry B.. also a resident of that city;
Frank E., who resides in Meredith ; and William
O.. who is referred to at length in the succeeding
paragraph.

(VII) William Oliver, son of John K. and
Ellen L. (Libbey) Clough, was born in Gray, Maine,
July 14, 1840. His preliminary studies in the
Meredith public schools were augmented with an
advanced course at Rev. Hosea Quimby's Academic
School, and at the age of sixteen years he began
the activities of life as an errand boy in a jewelry
store in Boston, where, in an unusually short space
of time, he obtained a clerkship. In i860 he ac-
cepted a position as salesman for the Cape Cod
Glass Company, whose headquarters were then lo-
cated on Milk street, Boston, and he retained his
connection with that concern for nine years, or
until its suspension in 1869. During his residence in
Boston he was an active member of the Mercantile
Library Association, serving upon its board of di-
rectors for a period of seven years and attending
regularlv its evening school ; also officiating as chair-



i686



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



man of its committee on dramatic, declamatory
and musical entertainments, and as editor of its
paper, The Tctc-a-Tete. When the Park Street
Church Library Association was organized he en-
tered into its work with spirit, serving as its first
secretary and its third president. His taste and
capacity for journalism developed early in life and
was fostered by his connection with The Tete-a-Tcte
ind as a contributor to other publications, so that
when the Cape Cod Glass Company went out of
existence he found no difficulty in profiting by his
experience, entering the newspaper field as city
editor of the Nashua Daily Telegraph, and retaining
that posiiton until May, 1892, a period of twenty-
three years. After severing his connection with
the Telegraph he became staff correspondent of the
Nezv Hampshire Republican and was subsequently
its political editor. Purchasing a controlling inter-
est in the Nashua Daily Gazette, in October, 1895,
he renamed that organ in the following November
the Nashua Daily Tress, and he also changed its
political aspect and general policy. Although forced
to struggle for existence and compelled at one
time to suspend publication, he succeeded in recalling
the Press to life, placed it upon a substantial basis,
and, with the exception of a few months, continued
as its editor and managjer until the summer of
1905, when he sold his interest to the Telegraph
Publishing Company, who were prompt, however,
to avail themselves of his services as an editorial
writer. Aside from his connection with the local
press, he was for twenty-five years a regular corres-
pondent of the Boston Journal, under the nom
de plume of "Nashoonon," contributed many serials
and stories, essays, sketches, etc.,, to various news-
papers and magazines, and edited the biographical
section of the "History of Nashua." In political,
educational and other matters outside of his pro-
fession. Judge Clough took an earnest interest and
Viis efforts in behalf of the city in general, its
government and its institutions were both spontane-
ous and invigorating. From 1876 to 1881 he served
as city marshal, was an assessor from 1893 to 1897,
and for nearly thirty years was associate justice
of the Nashua municipal court. He also served the
city for a period of thirteen years as principal of
an evening school. When the old-line insurance
companies left the state without protection, he
readily joined with others in organizing the Indian
Head Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of which he
was a director and its last vice-president. Another
Nashua institution in which he was deeply interested
is the Building and Loan Association, and he was
one of its most efficient directors. Probably his
most valuable service to the city was as associate
justice of the municipal court, to which position he
was appointed by Governor Cheney in 1878, and he
retained it continuously for the remainder of his
life, gaining the implicit confidence of the people
as a whole, and lawyers in particular, for the care
with which he weighed all evidence submitted to
him and the impartiality displayed in rendering his
decisions. Judge Clough was made a Mason in
Columbian Lodge, Boston, and was advanced to the
Royal Arch degree in St. Andrew Chapter, that
city; was one of the original members of Israel Hunt
Council, Royal and Select Masters, and its first
illustrious master; was a member of St. George
Commandery, Knights Templar; and had attained
the thirty-se'cond degree, Scottish Rite. His domes-
tic life was an ideal one, made so by his affectionate
nature and kindly disposition, and although suffering
from the ravages of an incurable disease during the
last two years of his life, he retained his customary



cheerfulness to the end, which came on the morning
of March 25, 1906. His passing away was not only
a severe blow to his family and immediate relatives,
but was also keenly felt by the community in general
and his journalistic and fraternal associates. He
was a leading member and an official of the Church
of the Good Shepherd, and his solicitude for the
welfare of that parish will be long remembered.
On January 16, 1868, Judge Clough was married in
Manchester, to Miss Julia Moore, daughter of Jona-
than H. and Hannah (Van Sleeper) Moore. She is
a lineal descendant of John and Janet Moore, Scotch-
Irish immigrants from county Antrim, Ireland, who
settled in Londonderry, New Hampshire, about the
year 1721. John Moore died January 24, 1774, and
his wife died March 8, 1776. Their children were :
Deacon William, Elizabeth, Colonel Robert and
Colonel Daniel. Colonel Robert Moore, the next in
line of descent, was appointed lieutenant-colonel,
September i, 1775, in Colonel Samuel Hobart's regi-
ment of the New Hampshire Continental line. He
died in October, 1778. Colonel Robert Moore's
youngest son, Robert, was born in Londonderry,
New Hampshire, September 20, 1769, and died
August 16, 1803. He married Jeannie Rolfe, who
was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts, Sep-
tember 22, 1771, and " died Febri^ary 16, 1852.
Their son, Jonathan Holmes Moore, was born on
Shirley Hill, Goffstown, in June, 1802, and died in
Manchester, November 12, 1869; he married Hannah
Van Sleeper of Knickerbocker descent, who died
August 3, 1858. They were the parents of eleven
children, and among them were Hon. Orren Cheney
Moore, and Julia, who married Judge Clough, as
previously stated. Judge Clough is survived by his
widow and two daughters : Charlotte ]Moore, a grad-
uate of the New Hampshire State Normal School,
and now the wife of Chester T. Cornish, of New-
Bedford, Massachusetts ; Christine Rolfe, who is
residing with her mother in Nashua.

(III) Thomas (2), second son and child of
Thomas (i) and Hannah (Gile) Clough, was born
December 9, 1681, in Salisbury. He was a shoe-
maker by occupation, and resided in that town as
late as 1738. probably removing to Kingston, New
Hampshire. He is supposedly the Thomas Clough
who was married January 15, 1706, in Haverhill,
to Mary Gile, daughter of Ephraim and Martha
(Bradley) Gile, and granddaughter of Samuel Gile,
of Haverhill, a pioneer emigrant who resided in
Salisbury. Part of his children are on record in
Salisbury, but not all. His estate was administered
November 13, 1749.

(IV) Jeremiah, second son of Thomas (2) and
Mary (Gile) Clough, was baptized May 28, 1710.
On reaching manhood he went to Kensington, New
Hampshire, and was there married, February 16,
1738, to Sarah Elkins, by the Rev. Jeremiah' Fogg.
He "was the pioneer settler of Canterbury, New
Hampshire, locating there soon after the town was
granted, and maintained for many j'ears a garri-
son for the settlers. The colonial records show
that in 1745 he rendered an account of the ex-
penses for provisions, ammunition and wages of
himself and ten men in maintaining the garrison,
and at the same time presented a bill of ten pounds
and six shillings for "medisens and Tendence."
Again in 1746 and 1747 he rendered an account
which covered a total service for himself and five
others of two hundred and ninety-seven days, and
the bill for ammunition, provisions and wages
amounted to sixteen pounds, fourteen shillings and
three pence. Because of his military experience
he raised a company for the Revolution, being one



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1687



of the ten commissioned for that purpose, for Col-
onel Enoch Poor's regiment, each being required
to muster a company of sixty-two able-bodied men.
This commission was issued May 24, 1775, and Cap-
tain Clough's company was completed on June 13
of that year, composed of men from Canterbury,
Loudon, "Northfield, Sanbornton, Tamworth, Moul-
tonboro, and one from New Britton, in Hillsboro,
making a total of sixty-three men. This company
was at Medfield. October 4, 1775, where the men
resided for coats promised them by the provincial
congress. On account of fiis age Captain Clough
probably did not continue long in the military ser-
vice, as" we find no record of him after that day.
The records say that he was justice of the peace
in 1776, and a selectman in 1782. In the vital rec-
ords of Canterbury he is always referred to as
"Esq'r Clough." No mention of his wife appears
in these records, but his children are named as
follows : Jeremiah, Deliverance, Hannah, Thomas,
Leavit. Henry, Joseph, Sarah and Abner.

(V) Leavit, fourth son and fifth child of Cap-
tain Jeremiah and Sarah (Elkins) Clough. was
born July 21, 1751, and died August 13. 1825, in
Canterbury, and resided through life in that town.
He married Hannah Fletcher, who died January 8,
1782, and he subsequently married Peggy Mason.
The children of the first marriage were: Sarah
and Leavit.

(VI) Leavit (2), eldest son and second child of
Leavit (i) and Hannah (Fletcher) Clough, was
born October 30, 1778, and passed his life in Can-
terbury where he was a farmer. He was married,
October 27. 1800, in Canterbury, to Abigail Mor-
rill, of that town. Their children were: Henry,
William Patrick. Mary Ann, David INIorrill, ]Mi-
randa, Leavit M., Thomas C. Daniel Webster,
Abraham and Isaac (twins), Elizabeth and INIar-
tha (twins).

(VII) Colonel David Morrill, fourth child and
third son of Leavit (2) and Abigail (Morrill)
Clough, w^as born on his grandfather's farm in
Canterbury. June 9, 1805, and died in Canterbury,
January 28, 1885, aged almost eighty years. He
was educated in the district school and at Gilman-
ton Academy, attending the latter institution three
terms. He learned rapidly and thoroughly, was
able to express himself well, and at the age of
eighteen began teaching a winter school. This av-
ocation he continued for some years. At the age
of nineteen he was commissioned in the state mil-
tia. Two years later he was promoted to a captaincy
and after five years' service was made a colonel.
After the death of his father he had to aid in the
settlement of his estate. In 1832 he removed to
Gilmanton, where he remained ten years, and then
returned to Canterbury, and settled in the vicinity
of his old home. In 184S. desirous of determining
whether it was expedient to take Horace Greeley's
advice and "go West," he made a tour of inspec-
tion and discovery through the states of Ohio, In-
diana. Illinois and Iowa. After spending several
months in this effort he returned with the convic-
tion that New Hampshire offered as many in-
ducements to the farmer as any state in the Union.
He bought a little farm near the home of his boy-
hood, which he improved and sold in 1856. In the
autumn of that year he bought the five hundred-
acre farm upon which he resided the remainder of
his life, a place on the Merrimack Intervale, be-
tween the Canterbury and Boscawen stations, the
same that his great-uncle. Joseph Clough. once
owned. L'pon this he expended energy and money,
but both were applied with judgment and skilly and



in thirteen years the farm he had bought for $4,600
was worth $17,000, and instead of twelve cattle,
over one hundred were supported on it. To this
he added from time to time as circumstances per-
mitted, outlying places of "sprout land" until he
owned about 1500 acres. His average crop of corn
on the ear was about 3,000 bushels, and he kept
about 120 head of cattle, over a hundred sheep, and
six horses.

A man of Colonel Clough's ability and wealth
could not escape the notice of his fellow citizens,
and in the selection of candidates for office, his
name was often mentioned, and not unfrequently
appeared on the ballots of his party. In politics
he was a Free-Soil Democrat, and attended the
national convention which nominated that illustrious
son of New Hampshire, John P. Hale, the apostle
of freedom and human rights. After the abolition
of slavery he gave his adherence to the Democratic
party. He served the town of Canterbury as select-
man four yeafs, and as representative to the general
court two years. The nomination for member of
governor's council was given him three times by
the Democratic party, and he was elected during
Governor Weston's first term. While a member
of the legislature, Colonel Clough never lost sight
of an opportunity to legislate in favor of the in-
terests of agriculture, and he was an earnest and
able advocate for the establishment of the Agri-
cultural College, and was one of its board of trus-
tees for some years. When the order of Patrons
of Husbandry w-as introduced in the state, he was
one of the first to perceive the possibilities of such
an organization, and gave it his earnest support.
He was a charter member of the Merrimack River
Grange, and a charter member of the State Grange,
of which he was treasurer six years, and on whose
executive committee he filled a place for a long time.
He was a member of the Merrimack County Agri-
cultural Society, for two years its president and a
life member of the New Hampshire Agricultural
Society.

He joined the Free Will Baptist Church of
Canterbury with his wife, in 1832, and for many
years was clerk of the society. He was a life long
advocate of temperance and abstained from all in-
toxicating drinks, including cider, and also from
the use of tobacco. Colonel Clough was a cham-
pion of the farmers' rights, and an aim and am-
bition of his life was to dignify the farmers' voca-
tion, and b}^ experiment to develop the science of
agriculture in the state. He was possessed of the
great elements of success in life : Opportunity,
ability, critical judgment, habits of industry and
energ}-. These made him a successful man and a
leading farmer upon w'hom the epithet of "the Corr
King of New Hampshire'' was right worthily be
stowed. As a citizen he enjoyed the confidence anA
respect of his fellowmcn. He was upright in_ all
his dealings, and one in w'honi the sterling qualities
of manhood were always observable, and at the
end of a long and useful life he laid down the bur-
den of years mourned by every honest man whc
had the honor of his acquaintance.

He married (first), October 25, 182S. Almjra
Batchclder. who was born June 7. 1805. and died
November 5, 1851. daughter of Ebenezer Batchel-
der, of Canterbury: (sc'cond), June 17, 1856, Mrs.
Caroline (Gibson) Tallent. His children, all by
the first wife, were : Anna Maria, who was born
in 1830. and died young; Henry Leavitt. February
17, 1834: Mary S.. 1836. who died in 1838; Edwin
D., 1843: and' Charles Newell, the subject of the
next paragraph.



i688



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



(VIII) Charles N., youngest child of David M.
and Almira E. (Batchelder) Clough was born Jan-
uary 15, 1850, on the old Ames farm, in Canter-
bury, which his father then owned. Since 1857 he
has lived on the farm he now owns. He lived at
home and attended the district school until he was
eighteen years of age, when he went to Elmwood
and attended the high school, and later to Man-
chester, where he took a course in a commercial
school with the view of entering mercantile life,
but yielding to the wishes of his father he re-
turned to the homestead, where he has since re-
sided, devoting his energies to general farming and
to the raising of cattle and to dairjang. In this
latter branch he does a large business, making and
selling annually about fifteen thousand pounds of
I)utter. He has considerably improved his farm,
and has a handsome residence which he erected in
l)lace of the one burned down some twenty years
ago. He is a Republican and an attendant of the
Congregational Church. He shared his father's in-
terest in the grange, of which he early become a
member, and was for twenty j'ears overseer in the
State Grange. In 1887-8-9 he was a member of
the school board, and selectman in 1896-7. About
1874 he became a member of Horace Chase Lodge,
No. yz. Free and Accepted Masons, of Penacook. in
whicli he has filled the senior warden chair. Mr.
Clough is a shrewd, farsighted and successful man,
and enjoys the respect and confidence of his neigh-
bors and townsmen. He married, January 15,
1874, Emma T. Morrill who was born June 6 1854,

daughter of John B. and (Hoague) Morrill,

of Canterbury. They have two children : David
M: born Mav 16, 1879; and Caroline G., born Sep-
tember 4, 1888.

(HI) Zaccheus, sixth son and child of Thomas
Clough and fourth child of his second wife, was
horn February 17, 1692, in Salisbury, and was bap-
tized August 5, 171 1. He was admitted to the Sec-
ond Church of Salisbury. January 4, 1734, and later
removed to Fremont, New Hampshire, where he
died July 30, 1757. He was married, January 21,
1714, to Sarah Page, who was born October 12,
1691, in Salisbury, daughter of Joseph and Sarah
(Smith) Page, of Salisbury. John was the son of
Onesiphorus and Sarah (Morrill) Page, and grand-
son of John and Mary (George) Page, of Hingham
and Haverhill, Massachusetts. Five of Mr. Clough's
children were baptized, April 5, 1724, in Salisbury,
Namely: Benjamin, Hannah, Betsey, Jabez and
Zaccheus.

(IV) Jabez, second son of Zaccheus and Sarah
(Page) Clough, was born about 1722, in Salisbury
and was married in Poplin (now Fremont), New
Hampshire. September 7. 1749, to Sarah Young.
They lived in Fremont, where eight children were
born. No record of his death has been found. His
wife, Sarah, died in Fremont, March 2, 1807.

(V) Daniel, son of Jabez and Sarah (Young)
Clough, was born August 11, 1763, in Fremont. At
the age of seventeen years, he enlisted in the Con-
tinental army, and served on the quota from, Weare,
New Hampshire. He was claimed by the town of
Hopkinton, but after a hearing before the commit-
tee of safety he was credited to Weare. As soon as
this matter was settled he was able to draw pay
for his services from the town of Weare, which
had previously refused to allow him anything. He
was a blacksmith, and 'resided in South Weare, and
had a family of several children, only one of whom
remained in Weare.

(VI) Daniel (2), son of Daniel (i) Clough, was



born 1792, in Weare, and was brought up to his
father's trade. He was noted as a player on the
violin. He lived in Weare, and died there in 1881.
He married Mary Colby, .who was born 1791,
daughter of Philbrook and Ruth (Lufkin) Colby,
of Weare (see Colby V). She died in 1880. They
were the parents of twelve children. One, Julia A.
Heath, of Dunbarton, is still living.

(VII) Gilman, son of Daniel (2) and Ruth
(Colby) Clough, was born February 24, 1825, in
Weare, where his earlier years were spent. Early
in life he left his native town and settled in Man-
chester, New Hampshire. His educational oppor-
tunities were limited, but he possessed a good con-
stitution and a spirit of energy and industry, and
was ambitious to establish himself in life. Soon
after he went to Manchester he engaged in the
wood and lumber trade, and developed an exten-
sive business. The profits of his trade were judici-
ously invested in real estate, and he thus became
possessed of a s competency from the advancement
of values and by his w'ise and judicious manage-
ment of his estate. He was married, 1848, to Miss
Nancy E. Locke, who was born March 31, 1827,
in Deering, New Hampshire, daughter of Stephen
and Sarah (Peaslee) Locke (see Locke, V). Their
only living offspring is Lewis A. Clough, who is
now a resident of Manchester.

(YIII) Lewis Augustus, only child of Gilman
and Nancy E. (Locke) Clough, was born in Weare^
New Hampshire, February 14. 1850. He was edu-
cated in the district schools of Weare, and at Pink-
erton Academy. The first business he embarked in
after attaining his majority was lumbering, and in
that business he has ever since remained. He
usually owns four of five portable steam sawmills,
and with these he prepares for market the timber
on large areas which he buys standing. He fre-
quently employs two hundred men for long periods
of time, and markets millions of feet of lumber
aimually. He has resided in Manchester since he
was two years old, when his father and mother
removed to that place. In politics he is a Dem-
ocrat, and in religion inclines to Unitarianism, al-
though he is not a member of the church of that
denomination. He has made life a success by at-
tending very industriously to his own business, and
has accumulated a handsome property. He mar-
ried, in Manchester, 1875, Nora Burke, who was
born in Lebanon, in 1852, daughter of Michael
Burke, of Canaan. They are the parents of four
children: Blanche E., the wife of Dr. L. M. Far-
rington, of Brookline, Massachusetts ; Harry G.,^
who is mentioned below ; Nora Bernice, married Dr.
Frank N. Rogers, of Manchester; and Emma
Louise, at home.

(IX) Harry Gilman, second child and only son
of Lewis Augustus and Nora (Burke) Clough, was
born in Manchester, January 17, 1878. His primary
education was obtained in the schools of Manches-
ter, his preparatory education at Phillips Andover
Academy, and his university course was taken at
Harvard, from which he graduated with the class
of 1900, when he attained the degree of A. B.. For
three years he was engaged in the lumber business,
but since 1903 he has devoted himself to caring for



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 43 of 149)