Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 55 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 55 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(Prescott) Chamberlain, became the wife of Herbert
J. Taft, of Greenville. (See Taft, III).



Charles Gale Shedd is a lineal descend-
SHEDD ant in the seventh generation of Daniel
"Shed," an early settler in Braintree,
Massachusetts, and in the tenth generation of Ed-
mund Doty, the Mayflower Pilgrim. The posterity
of both these immigrants have acquired an honorable
record for their sturdy patriotism and steadfast de-
votion to the cause of civil and religious liberty,
which constitutes the fundamental basis of our liberal
republic, and those of the present generation repre-
sent the highest type of American citizenship. The
name is unquestionably of remote English origin,
and in the early Colonial records it was subjected
,to the usual variation in spelling, sometimes appear-
ing as Shode.

(I) The family was established in New England
by Daniel Shed, who emigrated prior to 1642, in
which year his name first appears in the records of
Braintree, and he resided in that part of the town
which is now Quincy. In 1645 he was granted more
land at the mouth of the Weymouth river, on a
peninsula which for over a century was designated
in the town records as Shed's Neck, and he resided
there until 1659, when he removed to Billerica, Mass-
achusetts. His death occurred in the last named
town July 2"], 1708, at the age of about eighty-eight
years. He was twice married, and the christian
name of one of his wives, probably the first, was
Mary. He was the father of eleven children, two
of whom were twins, and one of these was Zachariah,
the next in line of descent. (Mention of his young-
est son, Nathan, and descendants follows in this
article).

(II) Zachariah Shed, third son and sixth child
of Daniel and Mary Shed, was born in Braintree,
June 17, 1656. He was about three years old when
his parents went to Billerica, and he resided there
for the greater part of his life, which terminated in
Chelmsford, in 1735. He was three times married ;
his first wife together with two of his children were
massacred by the Indians in August, 1692. The
maiden name of his second wife is not at hand.
His third wife, whom he married July 13, 1702, w'as
Hannah Harris, and she died in Chelmsford, July
4, 1758. The total number of his children was
seventeen, eight of whom were of his third union.

(HI) Zachariah (2), seventh child of Zachariah
(i) and Hannah (Harris) Shed, was born in
Billerica, August 27, 1720. He was a carpenter and
joiner, and followed that occupation for the major
portion of his active life in Chelmsford, where he
died February 2, 1784. The family record at hand
does not mention the name of his wife, but states
that he had five children.

(IV) Captain Ebenezer, fourth child of Zachariah
Shed, Jr., was born in Chelmsford, July 10, 1753.
Like his father he was a carpenter, but at the age
of twenty-two years deserted his bench and with the
majority of the young men in his neighborhood
espoused the cause of national independence, enlist-
ing April 27, 1775, in Captain John Ford's com-
pany, which joined the Twenty-seventh Regiment
of the Continental line. He possessed unusual
physical strength, and is said to have withstood without
injury a hand-to-hand encounter with the enemy at
the battle of Bunker Hill. After the completion ,of
his military service he resumed his trade, and sub-
sequently settled in Westford, Massachusetts, died
in that town, March 2, 1829. In September, 1780,
he married for his first wife, Mary Blood, born
April 9, 1757, daughter of Stephen, Jr., and Mary
Blood. She died August 13, 1785. May 16, 1793, he
married for his second wife Lucy Hartwell, born
October 20, 1763, daughter of David and Rachel



1728



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



^.Wortley) Hartwell, of Carlisle, Massachusetts.
She survived him nearly twenty years. He was the
father of ten children.

(V) Franklin, son of Captain Ebenezer and
Lucy (Hartwell) Shedd, was born in Chelmsford,
May 25, 1800. Having inherited his father's robust
physique he attained a strong and vigorous manhood,
and acquired a wide- reputation for his muscular
prowess. When a young man he engaged in the man-
ufacture of hand-rakes at Plymouth, Vermont, where
he resided until 1840, in which year he removed to
Mount Holly, same state, and his death occurred
in Weston, Vermont, March 30, 1875. H.e possessed
a strong defined character which engendered pro-
nounced opinions in all matters relative to the moral
and religious welfare of his fellow-beings, and he
not only professed Christianity but conscientiously
practiced it in his daily life. He was also an
earnest advocate of total abstinence from intoxicat-
ing liquors, and on every opportune occasion vigor-
ously emphasized his views upon that subject. No-
vember 4, 1830, Franklin Shedd married Lydia Kim-
ball, born in Nelson, New Hampshire, November 12,
1804, daughter of Major David and Lydia (Sim-
mons) Kimball. She died May 7, 1889, having been
the mother of nine children.

(VI) Captain Charles Wesley Shedd, sixth child
of Franklin and Lydia (Kimball) Shedd, was born
in Mount Holly, October 21, 1840. He attended
school in his native town, and at the age of thirteen
entered the employ of M. Tarbell, manufacturer of
lumber and hayrakes, with whom he remained for
eight years. At the breaking out of the Civil war
he and his brother were desirous of enlisting in the
army, but the father refused his consent, the sons
being under age. However, on the day that he was
twenty-one, Charles and his brother joined a com-
pany of nine months men organized in the town,
Charles with his characteristic energy and patriotic
fervor, being the first man to record his name, mount-
ing a table in the recruiting room and urging his young
friends to join with him. This body of young men
became Company H, F"ourteenth Regiment Vermont
Volunteers, and Charles Shedd was elected orderly
sergeant. The regiment became part of General
Stannard's famous Vermont Brigade. The regi-
ment's term of service expired just before the battle
of Gettysburg, but with superb patriotism the men
went into line in that sanguinary engagement, and
on the second day repelled one of the most desperate
attacks witnessed on that historic field. After his
discharge Sergeant Shedd aided in recruiting the
frontier cavalry organized to protect the Canadian
border, and with that command performed efficient
service.

After the war he became foreman in Batcheller
& Son's fork manufactory in Wallingford, and Tar-
bell's rake factory in Mechanicsville, Vermont. In
1870 he removed to Keene, New Hampshire, where
he engaged in business for himself as an upholsterer
and manufacturer of spring beds and mattresses.
Shortly afterward he entered the employ of the late
M. T. Tottingham, then the leading upholsterer,
furniture dealer and undertaker in the town, in
which business he continued until about 1903, when
failing health made it necessary for him to abandon
active work, after thirty years constant application.
He was intensely interested in military affairs. At
the time of the organization of the Keene Light
Guard Battalion, and of Company G, Second Regi-
ment New Hampshire Guard, which preceded it, he
was one of the first to join, and was elected orderly
sergeant of the first company. At the battalion for-
mation he was commissioned first lieutenant of



Company H, and was promoted to the captaincy
when Captain J. W. Sturtevant became major.
Captain Shedd was one of the most efficient in
organizing both company and battalion,, and was in-
defatigable in procuring means to perfect the or-
ganization and promote its usefulness. At one time
lie procured the sum of twelve hundred dollars for
this purpose. At the time of his resignation, necessi-
tated by failing health, he was the oldest officer in
the battalion in period of service. He was an active
member of John Sedgwick Post, Grand Army of
the Republic, in which he held various offices, and
was a charter member and first sachem of Pokalioket
Tribe of Red Men. He attended the Unitarian
Church. He was a Republican in politics, an earnest
worker in many campaigns, and in 1880-81 rendered
valuable service in the common council as a repre-
sentative from the Fourth Ward. On June 12, 1864,
he married Sarah Frances Doty, who was born in
Wallingford, June 6, 1843, youngest daughter of
Elihu and Rhoda (Sayles) Doty, great-granddaugh-
ter Jerathmiel Doty, who is said to have served in
General Lafayette's bodyguard during the Revolu-
tion, and a lineal descendant of Edward Doty, the
Mayflower Pilgrim, previously mentioned. (See
Doty, VHI).

Captain Shedd died suddenly, at his home, on
the evening of February 2, 1907, from apoplexy. He
had been out as usual during the day, and was read-
ing the evening paper when stricken. In compliance
with his frequently expressed wish, the funeral was
private and entirely devoid of display. A local
paper (the Nezv Hampshire Sentinel) in comment-
ing upon his demise said : "As a man, Captain
Shedd was whole-souled and generous to a fault, and
was always doing for others, oftentimes aiding those
in affliction in a quiet way, or raising money for a
worthy object. He had a faculty of making friends
wherever he went, and a very unusual faculty for ac-
complishing whatever he undertook, being a tire-
less worker, a skillful inechanic, and a good judge
of human nature."

(VII) Charles Gale, only child of Captain Charles
W. and Sarah (Doty) Shedd, was born in South
Wallingford, May 18, 1865. After graduating from
the Keene high school he entered the wholesale and
retail drug store of Messrs. Bullard & Foster as
an apprentice, and having acquired proficiency as
a pharmacist, in 1888 he purchased Mr. Foster's
interest in the firm, which then was known as Bul-
lard & Shedd. This partnership continued until
Mr. Bullard's death. After the death of Mrs. Bul-
lard in 1899 he purchased her interest, organizing a
stock company known as the Bullard & Shedd Com-
pany, of which he is treasurer, manager and prin-
cipal shareholder, and is now transacting a profitable
business. As a Republican he has figured quite con-
spicuously in local civic affairs, having served as a
selectman and common councilman, and president
of the common council and chairman of the board
of health since 1903. For several years he has served
as chairman of. the Ward One Republican Club, and
moderator of the ward. In 1900 he represented
Keene in the lower branch of the state legislature,
serving on the insane asylum committee. He was
elected in. 1906 to represent the thirteenth district
in the state senate. For several years he served as
hospital steward of the Second Regiment, New Hamp-
shire National Guard. His fraternal affiliations are
with the Masonic order, in which he has taken the
highest degree of the Scottish Rite, the Thirty-
third degree. He is president of the New Hamp-
shire Society Sons of the American Revolution, a
member of the Red Men, Knights of Pythias, Sons



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1729



of Veterans, New Hampshire Pharmaceutical Asso-
ciation, and a trustee of the New Hampshire State
Sanatorium. He attends the Unitarian Church. On
September 23, 1891, Mr. Shedd was joined in mar-
riage with Rhoda Jane Colburn, who was born in
Shrewsbury, Vermont, August 17, 1866, daughter of
Leonard and Mary (Martin) Colburn. Their chil-
dren are : Gale Colburn and Paul Wesley, twins,
born July 14, 1892; and Charles Herbert, born Feb-
ruary 3, 1907.

(H) Nathan, youngest child of Daniel Shedd, was
born February 5, 1689, in Billerica, Massachusetts.
He married Mary French, of that town, and they
were the parents of nine children.

(HI) Nathan (2), the eldest child of Nathan
(i) and Mary (French) Shedd, was born May 23,
1695, in Billerica, and resided in the adjoining town
of Tewksbury, where he was a well-to-do citizen,
He was town treasurer for several years, and
known by the title of Deacon. He died March 24,
1759. He married a cousin, Hannah Shedd, and
they were the parents of eleven children.

(IV) Jonathan, sixth child of Deacon Nathan
(2) and Hannah (Shedd) Shedd, was born Octo-
ber 28, 1728, in Tewksbury, where he made his
home. He was a very muscular man and indus-
trious, and became well to do. He died March 26,
1801. He married Lydia Kittredge, and they were
the parents of five children.

(V) Jonathan (2), eldest son of Jonathan (i)
and Lydia (Kittredge) Shedd, was born August
lO) 1759' in Tewksbury, and resided nearly forty-
seven years in that town, removing then to Nor-
way. Maine. He died in Albany in the latter
state, October 3, 1837. He married Abigail Fisk,
who was born June 23, 1753, and was the mother
of nine children.

(VI) John, fourth child of Jonathan (2) and
Abigail (Fisk) Shedd, was born August 14, 1786, in
Tewksbury, and lived in Albany, Maine, just out-
side the town of Waterford. He was married Oc-
tober 9, 1809, to Hannah Fleming, who was born
September 18, 1794, in Tewksbury. Both died on
the homestead in Albany, he on August 11, 1864,
and she September 15, 1870. They were the par-
ents of fourteen children, of whom eleven grew to
maturity.

(VII) George, seventh son of John and Hannah
(Fleming) Shedd, was born January 27, 1827, in
Albany. Maine, and died in the adjoining town of
Waterford, January 27, 1893. He married' (first),
Rebecca Frost, of Albany, Maine. She was de-
scended from an early Massachusetts family as
follows :

(I) John Lovejoy, one of the proprietors and
earliest settlers of Andover, died in 1690. He mar-
ried, in 1651, Mary Osgood, daughter of Christopher
and Naomi (Hoyt) Osgood, pioneer settlers of An-
dover. They had two sons and several daughters,
most of whom grew up and married.

(II) William, son of John and Mary (Osgood)
Lovejoy, was born April 21, 1657, and married Mary
Farnum.

(III) Samuel, son of William and Mary (Far-
num) Lovejoy, was born April 10, 1693, and mar-
ried Hannah Stevens.

(IV) Isaac, son of Samuel and Hannah (Stev-
ens) Lovejoy, was born February 9, 1724, and
married Deborah Sheldon.

(V) Isaac (2), son of Isaac (i) and Debojah
(Sheldon) Lovejoy, was born March 16, 1757. He
married, November 12, 1778. Mary Morse, of
M'ethuen, who was born February 12, 1757, and



died April 15, 1835. He died December 8, 1832.
The children of this union were : Isaac, Bodwell,
Mary, William, Lemuel, Phebe, Henry and Anna P.

(VI) Phebe, daughter of Isaac (2) and Mary
(Morse) Lovejoj', was born December 5, 1790, and
died March 16, 1877. She married Ziba Frost, who
was born September 15, 1793, and died November
21, i860. Their children were : Samuel J., Rebecca
and Benjamin F.

(VII) Rebecca, daughter of Ziba and Phebe
(Lovejoy) Frost, was born December 22, 1825, and
died August 24, 1869. She married George Shedd,
May 16, 1852. George Shedd was married (sec-
ond), in June, 1871, to Saphronia (Brackett)
Lamb, of Harrison, Maine. Of the first marriage
there were two children : George Horsley and John
Ziba ; of the second marriage two : Myrtie Nina
and Alton Brackett.

(VIII) George Horsley, son of George and Re-
becca (Frost) Shedd, was born in Waterford,
Maine, February 13, 1853. His preliminary educa-
tion was obtained in the public schools of Norway,
Maine, and in the Norway Liberal Institute. After
teaching a few years he entered the Medical School
of Maine, from which he graduated in June, 1879.
His further medical education was obtained by
post-graduate work in New York, Philadelphia,
Berlin, and the hospitals of Berne, London. Paris,
and Edinburgh. He is a member of the New
Hampshire Board of Medical Examiners, of the
Conway Board of Health, of his county, state and
the Maine Medical Societies, also of the American
Medical Association. He is a Mason, being a
member of Mt. Washington Lodge and Signet
Royal Arch Chapter of North Conway, and of St.
Girard Commandery, Knights Templar, of Littleton,
New Hampshire. He commenced the practice of
medicine in Bartlett, New Hampshire, during the
summer of 1879, and in the spring of 1883 moved
to Fryeburg. Maine, where he resided until 1891,
when he removed to North Conway, where he has
since resided and been actively engaged in the prac-
tice of his profession. He married. May 15, 1880,
Mary Hall, daughter of Soloman Smith and Emily
Augusta (Warren) Hall. She decended on the
paternal side from Hate Evil Hall, son of one of
three brothers who came from England and set-
tled in New Hampshire. Hate Evil Hall (2) was
born at Dover, New Hampshire, in 1707, and after-
ward settled in Falmouth, Maine, where he died,
November 28, 1797. He married Sarah Furbish, of
Kittery, Maine, by whom he had thirteen children :
Dorothy, Daniel, Hate Evil, Mercy, Ebenezer, Abi-
gail, William, John, Jedediah, Andrew, Nicholas, Paul
and Silas. Jedediah (3), son of Hate Evil and Sarah
(Furbush) Hall, married (first). Hannah Hussey,
and (second), Elizabeth Clough. His children were:
Peter, Joel, Elizabeth, Aaron, Mercy, Moses,
Abigail, David, Jonathan, Ann and Dorcas. Jona-
than (4), son of Jedediah, married Mary, daughter
of Joshua Smith, who was town treasurer of Nor-
way, Maine, for twenty years. Soloman Smith Hall
(5), son of Jonathan and Mary (Smith) Hall, was
born at Norway, Maine, June 10, 1821, and died at
Waterford, Maine, January 8, 1895. He married
(first), November, 1852, Emily Augusta Warren,
granddaughter of Abijah Warren, who was born
in Taunton. Massachusetts. October 15, 1762, and at
the age of thirteen entered active service as minute-
man in the battle of Lexington, and served with
distinction throughout the Revolutionary war. " She
was born in Paris, IMaine, April 22, 1832, and died
in Norway, Maine, August 29, i86r. Of this mar-



I730



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



riage there were born three children : Mary, JuHa
and Lizzie E. He married (second), Olivia G.
Warren, by whom one child was born : Sidney Smith
Hall, now living in Watcrford, Maine.

Mary, daughter of Soloman Smith and Emily
(Warren) Hall, and wife of Dr. George H. Shedd,
was born in Norway, Maine, March 6, 1854. They
have one child, George Harold, born in Bartlett,
New Hampshire, November i, 1882. He is a grad-
uate of Harvard 'University, A. B. 1905, and is now
a student in Harvard Medical School. Mrs. Shedd
has alwavs been active in educational and charitable
work. She is ex-president of the North Conway
Woman's Club, of which she is one of the founders ;
president of the Woman's Educational League;
vice-regent of Anna Stickney Chapter, Daughters
of the American Revolution, and chairman of the
industrial and child labor committee of both the
New Hampshire Federation of Woman's Clubs and
New Hampshire Daughters of the American Revo-
lution.

John Z. Shedd was born at Norway, Maine, July
8, 1861. During the autumn of 1884 he went to
Fryeburg, Maine, and entered Fryeburg Academy,
from which he was graduated in 1886. The two
following years were devoted to teaching and read-
ing medicine. In 1891 the degree of M. D. was
received frcnn the Medical School of Maine, at
Brunswick, since which time he has taken several
post-graduate courses in New York. In 1891 he
began the practice of medicine at North Conway,
New Hampshire, where he has since resided and
has met with a good degree of success. He is a
member of his county, state and the Maine medical
societies, as well as of the American Medical Asso-
ciation. Early in his twenty-first years he was
made a Mason in Oxford Lodge, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons, Norway, Maine, and during the
following j^ear joined Union Royal Arch Chapter
in the same town. He later withdrew from these so-
cieties to become a member of similar bodies in
the town of his adoption, where he has been an
active Masonic worker, being past high priest of
his chapter, of which he is a charter member. In
more recent years he has become a member of St.
Girard Commandery, Knights Templar, at Little-
ton, New Hampshire, and also of Bektash Temple,
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Concord, New
Hampshire.

Myrtie Nina Shedd was born at Norway, Maine,
September 16, 1875. Alton Brackett Shedd was
born at the same place, February 17, 1880. About
two years after the birth of the latter, the children
with their parents removed to Waterford. where
they resided until after the death of their father,
in 1893. Later, with their mother, they removed
to Fryeburg, Maine, where both were graduated
from Fryeburg Academ3^ On September 20, 1899,
Myrtie N. was married to Dr. Byron W. McKeen.
a native of Fryeburg. and a classmate in the acad-
emy. He received his M. D. from the Medical
School of Maine, and, after serving one year as
house physician at the Maine Insane Hospital, set-
lied in Saxony, Massachusetts, where by his pleas-
ing personality and medical skill he built up a large
and lucrative practice. He died of pneumonia, .May
7, I903,_ at the age of twenty-eight years. Shortly
after his sister had become settled in Massachu-
setts, Alton B. and his mother removed to the same
town and household, where they all have continued
to reside. Alton B. accepted a position with the
Dennison Manufacturing Company at South Fram-
ingham, where he has been advanced to becoming
the head of one of its departments.



The name of Tyler has been dis-
TYLER tinguished in many ways in American

history. Beside furnishing a president
of the United States, it has been noted in law and
literature, in educational and other professional la-
bors. One of its most honored bearers in New
Hampshire was long an instructor at Dartmouth
College, and other representatives have been hon-
orable and respected business men.

William Tyler probably from Devonshire, Eng-
land, took the oath of fidelity at New Haven,.
Connecticut, in 1657. He married Abigail Terrell,,
daughter of Roger Terrell, of Milford, New Haven
Colony. They had ten children. He died in Mil-
ford in 1692.

(II) John (i), son of William and Abigail
■(Terrell) Tyler, was born in 1667 in Weathers-
field, Connecticut, and died in Wallingford, Con-
necticut, in 1 741. He married, January 7, 1674.
Abigail Hall, daughter of Sergeant Thomas and
Grace (Watson) Hall, of Wallingford. There were
eleven children.

(III) John (2), son of John (i) and Abigail
(Hall) Tyler, was born in Wallingford, Connecti-
cut, January 14, 1710. No date is given of his
death. April 7, 1731, he married Phebe Beach,
daughter of Thomas and Phebe (Wilcoxen) Beach,
of Stratford, Connecticut. There were five children
by this marriage.

(IV) Benjamin, son of John (2) and Phebe
(Beach) Tyler, was born in Wallingford, Febru-
ary 23, 1733. Colonel Benjamin Tyler came to
Claremont, New Hampshire, from Farmington,
Connecticut, in 1767, traveling part of the way on
snow shoes on the ice of the Connecticut river.
That summer he built the first dam across Sugar
river at West Claremont. Colonel Tyler is entitled •
to an extensive sketch in a history of New Hamp-
shire and especially in the town of Claremont. as he
did more to open up the resources of the town and
the Vermont towns just across the Connecticut
river than any other man of his day or since, and
has been called "the most sterling man in the first
generation of the history of Claremont." His views
W'Cre liberal, and his interest was always for the ad-
vancement of the church, the school and his town.
Like many of his descendants he was conspicuous
for his progressiveness, liberality and hospitality.
In 1768, Colonel Tyler went back to Connecticut,
and returned with his family. That year he built
the first mill erected in town — a grist mill at West
Claremont, near where the Jarvis Mills now stand.
He owned all the water power from Fall No. i to
No. 9 inclusive, on the south and east side of Sugar
river; here he built in 1780 the first sawmill in the
section. In consideration of Colonel Tyler having
built the first mills in town he was given as a
premium ten acres of land on the south side of
Sugar river opposite the mills. He purchased a tract
of land on the north side of Sugar river and eighty
acres south of the river. He also bought a tract of
what is now Claremont Village, extending from the
L. A. Tolles farm to Tremont Square, and south to
Summer street. He received as a grant fifty acres
of what was called the "big meadow" east of the
town. In 1768 Colonel Tyler put a dam across
Sugar river a few rods above where the high bridge
now stands, and built a smelting and iron working
establishment for manufacturing mill irons and
other heavy articles from iron which he brought
from North Charlestown, obtaining his lime from
Weathersfield. Vermont. He did a lucrative busi-



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 55 of 149)