Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 56 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 56 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ness for over twenty years, employing about thirty
hands. In 1810 he built and put in operation what



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1731



was known in those days as the flax mill, the use of
which was to prepare flax for the old hand spinning
wheel. In 1785 Colonel Tyler built the first mills
in the village— the "Old Tyler Mills," Lower Vil-
lage, both grist and sawmills. He also built the
first saw and grist mills that the people had in
nearly all the surrounding towns, and also many in
northern Vermont.

Colonel Tyler, with two of his sons, bought half
of Ascutney mountain, in Vermont, from whence
they quarried mill stones with which they supplied
the states and Canada for a number of years.
Many were the narrow escapes that these energetic
first settlers had in getting the large stones down
the mountain side. The eleventh patent issued by
the United States government in actual series
was to Colonel Benjamin Tyler on "a machine for
cleaning wheat, etc.," in 1796. During the next
few years he with his son John took out six other
patents. The crowning work of Colonel Tyler, at
the age of over sixty years, was the invention of
an improved bucket for a wooden water wheel with
an upright shaft called the "rye fly," or tub wheel,
for which he secured two patents, one in 1800, the
other in 1804. His marked mechanical genius has
been transmitted to a long line of descendants.
Benjamin Tyler's name appears as a member of
the board of selectmen at the "first meeting of the
inhabitants of the town of Claremont in the Prov-
ince of New Hampshire in 1768." He was subse-
quently re-elected many times, and held many
other offices of trust.

The first settlement of the town of Claremont
was by a band of Episcopalians, or Church of Eng-
land people, from Connecticut, several of whom in
1769 addressed "A Memorial of the inhabitants of
Claremont, New Hampshire, to the Reverend Clergy
of the Church of England, and missionaries of the
Venerable Society of P. G. F. P. to be convened
at New Milford in the Colony of Connecticut in
Trinity week." wliich was the first step toward or-
ganizing Union Church (West Claremont), the old-
est Episcopal church edifice in New Hampshire.
Benjamin Tyler was one of the signers of this pe-
tition. He "contributed £10 and all the timber for
the building, and helped to build it with his hands."
At the first vestry meeting of the parish in Novem-
ber, 1773, he was chosen warden, and many times
after. In 1770 he went by marked trees to Charles-
town, New Hampshire, to pilot the Rev. Samuel
Peters to Claremont in order 'that his children
might be christened. After the lapse of over a
century Benjamin Tyler's descendants of the same
name are still communicants of Union Church, the
church in the wilderness in whose support he was
so zealous that he refused to take up arms against
the mother country. Benjamin Tyler's only brother
John, after graduating at Yale College, went to
London, England, where by the bishop of that city
he was ordained in the Established Church and, re-
turning to Norwich, Connecticut, officiated as rec-
tor of Christ Church over half a century 1760-
1823. He is buried under the chancel of the new
church there, which contains a memorial tablet.
During the famous "Barber Crusade" in Claremont,
when the Rev. Daniel Barber, rector of Union
Church, his family and a few others became con-
verts to Catholicism, one of Benjamin Tyler's sons,
Noah, (who married Mr. Barber's sister) with his
family were of the number. This Noah's son, Wil-
liam Tyler, became a man of note in the Catholic
world. Although he died before he was forty years
old he reached the distinction of being the first
iv— 31



Roman Catholic bishop of the diocese of Hartford,
which Sec then included the states of Connecti-
cut and Rhode Island.

In 1773, Colonel Tyler built for a home for his
family the large house at West Claremont, still
standing and but little altered. It was long known
as the Mansion House of Colonel Tyler, and many
pieces of the handsome carved mahogany with
which it was furnished are still in existence. Since
its sale seventy-five years ago, by the Tyler heirs,
it has been used as a hotel, known as the "Maynard
House."

Benjamin Tyler married, at Wallingford. Con-
necticut, June 26, 1753, Mehitable Andrews, daugh-
ter of Elisha and Mabel Andrews. She was a
lineal descendant of Lieutenant William Andrews,
of Hampsworth, England, who was early at New
Haven and died in 1676 at East Hampton, Connec-
ticut. Their children were : Ephraim, married Abi-
gail Pardee : Phebe, married John Hitchcock ; Mary,
married Nehemiah Rice ; Rishy, married Elisha An-
drews : Patience, married John Strowbridge ; Mehit-
able. married George Hubbard ; Sally, married Sam-
uel Sumner; Benjamin, married Anne Smith;
Noah, married Abigail Barber ; and John, who mar-
ried Mary Giddings. (Benjamin and John and de-
scendants receive mention in this article). During
his lifetime Colonel Benjamin Tyler gave to each
of his six daughters a large farm in Claremont.
Their land comprised what is now the business sec-
tion of the town. He died at West Claremont,
March 9, 1814, "from which time to this date the
family has perhaps been the most conspicuous and
aidful of all in developing the resources of this re-
gion."

(V) Ephraim, eldest son of Colonel Benjamin
and Mehitable (Andrews) Tyler, was born in
Farmington, Connecticut, and died in Claremont,
New Hampshire, December 16. 1823, aged sixty-
four years. On his twenty-first birthday Ephraim
Tyler was given by his father one hundred acres
of land extending from Main street to Tremont
Square, to Summer street, and west to the Lawrence
Tolles farm. He also gave him at this time (1780)
both the grist and sawmills at the lower village,
which he owned and operated during his life time.
He built on Sullivan street, which was cut through
his farm, the old Tyler homestead still standing,
and shaded by the fine old elm trees planted by
his hand. Ephraim Tyler married (first), Abigail
Pardee, daughter of Benjamin and Hannah
(Beecher) Pardee: she was born in New Haven, in
1 761, and was a descendant of George Pardee, the
Huguenot, who came from Paris at the time of the
Huguenot persecution. He was in New Haven in
1645 and engaged to teach the "towne schoole,"
promising to teach English and Latin. This school
was the foundation of what is now the Hopkins
Grammar School. Abigail (Pardee) Tyler was also
a lineal descendant of Dr. David Yale, LL. D., of
Chester, England, and of the Rt. Rev. George
Lloyd, laishop of Chester, England, 1604. The chil-
dren of Ephraim and Abigail (Pardee) Tj-ler were:
Benjamin Pardee, Ephraim. Austin, Miles, Abigail,
Lola. Sarah, Marcia, William, Rebecca and Sarah.

(VI) Honorable Austin Tyler, third son of
Ephraim and Abigail (Pardee) Tyler, was born in
Claremont. January 6, 1790. He is said to have
been "the most public spirited son of Claremont."
His ambition was to develop and improve the town
rather than to aggrandise himself. In 1813 he was
commissioned sergeant in the New Hampshire mili-
tia, and in 1822, after many years service, he re-



1732



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



signed as paymaster of the Fifteenth Regiment,
Fifth Brigade, Third Division, New Hampshire
Militia, and "was honorably discharged at his own
request." He held various offices of public trust.
He was deputy sheriff in 1819;, selectman for nine
years, representative in the New Hampshire legisla-
ture in 1827-28 and 1831-32-1835-36-37, and in 1842;
state senator in 1838. He compiled and published in
1835 Tyler's "Tax Maker's Book." which was aft-
erward used in nearly every town and city in New
Hampshire, and was also used in most of the states
of the Union. In 1843 Mr. Tyler placed the pic-
turesque "old stone watering trough" on the West
Claremont road, and also rebuilt the same year that
highway which is one of the old time corduroy
roads. He was one of the most active and influen-
tial individuals engaged in organizing in 1832 the
Claremont Manufacturing Company, which was the
first company organized by citizens of Claremont
for manufacturing purposes. Mr. Tyler built as a
home for his bride, in 1813, the old colonial house
on Mulberry street, since known as the Rossiter
house. He later built and occupied the brick house
on the corner of Sullivan and Union streets, still
owned by his grandchildren. He married, in Plain-
field, New Hampshire, March 6, 1814, Almira, only
child of Daniel (4) and Hannah (Bailey) Kingsbury,
of Plainfield. (See Kingsbury, VI). She was born in
Keene, March 6, 1799, and was married on her fif-
teenth birthday. Their children were : Henry Dan-
iel, Louise, Emeline, Elizabeth Bailey, Frederick
Austin, Ellen Almira and Sarah Frances. Austin
Tyler died in Claremont, August 12, 1844. The
National Eagle of August 16, 1844, says: "Hon.
Austin Tyler was one of the most active, enterpris-
ing and public spirited men in town, the strictest
integrity was a prominent trait in his character, and
his influence has been extensive in the town where
he has always resided." He was an Episcopalian,
being a member of the Historic Union Church,
where for many years he sang in the choir. His
wife survived him, and died in Claremont, Decem-
ber 19, 1867.

(VII) Henry Daniel, eldest son of Austin and Al-
mira (Kingsbury) Tyler, was born August 13, 1815.
He was educated at Unity Military Academy, the
Rev. Virgil H. Barber Academy, and at Kimball
Union Academy, Meriden. He served in the Mexi-
can war ; was a volunteer from Massachusetts un-
der Captain Webster, First Regiment, and afterward
belonged to the "Army of Acceptation." He died
unmarried in San Antonio, Texas, June 16, 1868.

(VII) Louise, eldest daughter of Austin and Al-
mira (Kingsbury) Tyler, was born March 30, 1818.
She married, November 14, 1842, Nathaniel Waite
Westgate, of Enfield, later known as Judge West-
gate, of Haverhill, New Hampshire.

(VII) Emeline, second daughter of Austin and
Almira (Kingsbury) Tyler, was born April 21, 1820,
and married in September, 1838, Asa Tufts Starbird,
of Boston. She died in Dover, Kansas, March 4,
1876.

(VII) Elizabeth Bailey Tyler, third daughter
of Austin and Almira (Kingsbury) Tyler, was born
September 15, 1822, and died April 26, 1868. She
was educated in Dr. A. A. Miners' School at Unity,
New Hampshire. She married, May 12, 1853, Sam-
uel W. Howe, of Boston.

(VII) Frederick Austin, second son of Austin
and Almira (Kingsbury) Tyler, was born Decem-
ber 10, 1824, and died in Claremont, February ii,
1890. He was educated at Unity, New Hampshire,
Military Academy. Mr. Tyler had a very successful



business career as a hotel man, being manager of
the Pemberton Square House, Boston, of the Wash-
ington House, Lowell. Massachusetts, and afterward
for many years a member of the firm of Taft, Tyler &
Greenleaf of the Flume and Profile Houses, White
Mountains. He lived quietly in Claremont after his
retirement from business, and from his ample means
he assisted many unfortunate people who will long
remember - him with genuine gratitude. Like his
father, Austin Tyler, his integrity was unques-
tioned.

(VII) Ellen Almira Tyler was born May 29,
1827, and died March 11, 1900. She was a teacher
in the Claremont public schools and a member of
Trinity Episcopal Church. She married, January
18, 1854, in Trinity Church, John Leonard Lovering,
of Quechee. Vermont. (See Lovering, VII).

(VII) Sarah Frances, daughter of Austin and
Almira (Kingsbury) Tyler, born in Claremont, New
Hampshire, December 27, 1834, educated at Thet-
ford Academy, Thetford, Vermont. Married, De-
cember 25, 1855. Joseph K. Egerton, of Quechee,
Vermont. She died at Northfield, Vermont. March
9, 1886. Children : Edith Kingsbury Egerton,
Frederick Tyler Egerton.

(V) John, son of Colonel Benjamin and Me-
hitable (Andrews) Tyler, married Mary Giddings.

(VI) John (2), son of John (i) and Mary
(Giddings) Tyler, born in Claremont, New Hamp-
shire, March 28, 1818. He was early left an orphan
and went to Barre, Vermont, where he learned the
trade of millwright. He settled in West Lebanon,
New Hampshire, in 1850, and for several years did
a large and lucrative business in building mills.
He returned to Claremont in 1872, where he was
well and favorably known as an inventor and
builder, being descended from a long line of emi-
nent mechanics. He was engineer and superintend-
ent in building the Sugar River Paper mill and was
principal stockholder and president of the company.
He also built the grist and sawmills at the Lower
Village. Mr. Tyler was the inventor, 1856, of the
iron Tyler turbine water wheel, the first iron water
wheel ever made, since which time he has been
granted nine patents for improvements on it. These
found their way all over the country and some were
sent to Europe. For years these wheels were con-
sidered the best turbine wheels manufactured, this
fact being thoroughly developed some years ago by
a comparative and competitive test of the products
of other makers of similar wheels. He was also in-
ventor and patentee of Tyler's copper cylinder
washer, for washing paper stock. In 1874 he built
the reservoir on Bible Hill, putting in an aqueduct
system, now known as "Tyler Water Works," which
supplied the town with fresh spring water for
household purposes. He was much interested in
making Lake Sunapee what it is today and opened
his purse wide for its improvement; he was a stock-
holder in the Ben Mere Inn, also of the Woodsum
Steamboat Company. He was a far-seeing and
sagacious business man and greatly interested in the
improvements of his native town. He was a staunch
Republican and was a member of the legislature
1891-92 and his record was a clean one. He was a
public-spirited, genial man and in his death Clare-
mont lost a worthy citizen. He was a lover of
good horses and and in his fine stables could be
found always the best blooded and handsomest to
be had. He was a most liberal man and no worthy
cause was brought to his notice that failed to re-
ceive assistance at his hands. He died at his home,
November 28, 1896. He is survived by his widow,



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1733



who was ^liss Anna Maria, daughter of Taylor and
Sybil (Lawton) Alexander, of Hartland, Vermont.

(V) Benjamin (2), son of Colonel Benjamin
(i) and Mehitabel (Andrews) Tyler, was born in
Claremont, February 27, 1771, and died February
17, 1826. He was probably associated with his fa-
ther in the purchase of one-half of Ascutney Moun-
tain, and later with his brothers John and Noah,
succeeded to the extensive business of quarrying
mill stones. The farm given him by his father is
now a part of the village of Claremont. He mar-
ried Anne Smith, of Powlet, Vermont. Their chil-
dren were: Cynthia, John, Benjamin, Benonia,
Anna Smith and Maria.

(VI) John (3), son of Benjamin (2) and Anne
(Smith) Tyler, was born in Claremont, April 8,
1802. He died January 13, 1886, in the first framed
house built in town, where he had lived many years,
at West Claremont. He learned the millright trade
of his father, and followed it for many years. Mr.
Tyler was a representative in the New Hampshire
legislature in 1850-51 and warden of Union Church
(Episcopal), as his father and grandfather had been
before him. He was a man who stood high in the
community for his personal worth and ability. John
Tyler married (first), November 12, 1830, Mary S.
Webster, daughter of Dr. Thomas and Sarah
(West) Webster (see Webster, V). He married
(second), Jeanette Berry. The children by the first
marriage were John Henry, Charles Webster, James
Andrews, Mary Anna and Austin. B3- the second
the're was one son Hoel. All were born in Clare-
mont. I. John Henry was born October 12, 1832,
and died unmarried, January 29, 1890. He was
a merchant, and later in the hotel business in New
York City. 2. Charles Webster was born Septem-
ber 17. 1834, and died February 15, 1902. He was a
prominent instructor of instrumental music in New
York, teaching harp, piano and organ. He married
G. A. Simonson. 3. James Andrews, born August
12, 1836, was educated at the public and high schools
of Claremont. New Hampshire, and when a young
man learned the trade of machinist and worked at
this at various places, mainly in Springfield and
New York, for about fifteen years. In 1871 he en-
gaged as salesman in the hardware business on a
commission basis, and for over thirty years has
represented the firm of Herman Baker & Company,
of New York. He is a very successful business
man. He married Maria Frederika Clement, Au-
gust 17, 1875. 4. (VII) Mary Anna, only daugh-
ter of John (3) and Mary S. (Webster) Tyler, was
born July 22, 1843. She was educated in the public
schools of Claremont and at a Young Ladies' School
in Hanover, New Hampshire. She is an Episcopal-
ian. January 7, 1880, Mary Tyler married Daniel
Webb Johnson, for many years a leading citizen
and prominent business man of Claremont. ("See
Johnson, third family, VII). 5. Austin Tyler, born
January 16, 1848, died April 21, 1901. He followed
the hotel business on Mount Washington and in
New York. July 21, i88r, he married Mary Reed
Tyler, a distant cousin. She is still living (1906).
They had two daughters. Mary Lucy and Sarah
Emily, both of whom graduated from Vassar Col-
lege 1906. 6. Hoel Tyler, only child of John (3)
and Jeanette Berry Tyler, w-as born December 19,
1855. He studied medicine and is a successful phy-
sician in Redlands, California (1906).



This name was quite numerously repre-
COLE sented in the early settlement of Massa-
chusetts, and there are numerous prolific
families bearing the name now scattered throughout



the United States. It has been prominently identi-
fied with bench and bar, with all the learned pro-
fessions, and with various occupations in life, con-
tributing no small share to the development and
progress of the nation.

(I) William Cole was very early in the Mas-
sachusetts Bay Colony, and had a grant of two
acres of land at Mount Wollaston, January 23,
1637. In June, 1640, he was granted forty acres at
Hampton, and had one share of the common lands
there in 1646. He resided for some time at Wells,
Maine, and was constable of that town in 1645. He
returned to Hampton, and died there May 26, 1662.
in his eighty-second year, being then in indigent
circumstances. He took the oath of allegiance to
the Massachusetts jurisdiction at Wells, July 6,
1653. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Francis
Doughty, a merchant of Bristol, England. Dow's
History of Hampton states that his .widow was
named Eunice, and it is quite possible that he
may have had a second wife. She was reputed a
witch. His children included John, Nicholas, Wil-
liam, and probably others.

(II) Nicholas, son of William Cole, was born
in 1636 probably in America, and was but a child
when his father settled in Wells, Maine. He signed
a petition there in 1656. and was constable in 1658.
He was appointed ferrj'man at Cape Porpoise river
in 1664, agreeing to keep the ferry seven years,
His children included the following: Nicholas,
Jane and Ann.

(III) Nicholas, second son of Nicholas (i) Cole,
born 1656, resided at Wells, where he was killed
by Indians May 11, 1704. There is no recprd of his
marriage or family.

(IV) Thomas, probably a son of Nicholas (2)
Cole, was a resident of Kittery, Maine, where he
was _ married to Martha, daughter of Christian
Remick. She administered his estate in 1725. His
children were : Daniel, Hannah, Abigail, Asahel,
Remick, Jerusha, Charity, Abial and Robert.

(V) Robert, youngest child of Thomas and Mar-
tha ( Remick) _ Cole, was born probably in Kittery,
and passed his life in that town. He was mar-
ried (first), November 22. 1726, to Phcbe Shep-
herd. She did not live long, and his second wife
was Martha (surname unknow-n). He was mar-
ried (third), January 22, 1765, to Mrs. Ann Cot-
tle; and (fourth), in October, 1775, to Mrs. Agnes
Weeks, who survived him. His will was made in
1784. His children were : Robert, Ezra, Remick,
William, Ichabod, John. Phebe, Mary, Thomas and
Simeon.

(VI) Ichabod, fifth son of Robert Cole, and
probably child of his second wife Martha, was bap-
tized April 14, 1757, in Kittery, and was married
there November 8, 1770, to Elizabeth, daughter of
Captain John and Hannah (Fernald) Gowell. She
died in October, 1834, aged about eighty-five years.
Their children were : John. Gowell, Ichabod, Eliza-
beth. Nabby, Eli, Mary, Robert, Nancy and Wil-
liam.

(VII) William, youngest child of Ichabod and
Elizabeth (Gowell) Cole, was born March i, 1791.
in Kittery, probalily in that part which is now Eliot,
Maine, and was married in Kittery, ]\Iay 24, 1820. to
Polly Brooks, of Eliot. Their children w-ere : Wil-
liam G., James D., Rose, Marv and Oliver B.

(VIII) William Gowell, eldest son of William
and Polly (Brooks) Cole, was born in Elliott,
Maine, September 11, 1822. He was a tanner and
currier in Portsmouth and Biddeford until about
1866. when his health becoming impaired he engaged
in farming in Hampton, New Hampshire, where he



1734



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



has since resided. He filled the office of tax collec-
tor of Hampton twenty years, and represented the
town in the legislature in l888. He is a member
of the North Church (Congregational) of Ports-
mouth, and is one of the four original pew own-
ers. He married (first), February 23, 1851, Han-
nah Toby Brooks, of Elliott, Maine. _ She died in
Portsmouth, April 30, i860. He married (second),
November 16, 1862, Susan Leavitt Page, of Hamp-
ton, daughter of Josiah and Susan L. Page. His
children by the first wife were: Everett Sumner,
who died in 1868, aged fourteen. Myron W., Abbie
I., the wife of S. Albert Shaw, of Hampton. (See
Shaw, VH). The children of the second are:
Anna M., a graduate of Mt. Holyoke College, class
of t888, and now a teacher in Hampton Academy.
Ernest Gowell, mentioned below. Hattie L., who
died in 1888, aged seventeen.

(IX) Ernest Gowell, second child and only son
of William G. and Susan L. (Page) Cole, was born
in Hampton. June 16, 1869. After leaving the pub-
lic schools he attended Hampton Academy, from
which he graduated in 1888. In 1891 he graduated
from the New Hampshire College of Agricultural
and Mechanic Arts, and went into business with J.
A. Lane, of Hampton, who formed the firm of J.
A. Lane & Company, dealers in general merchan-
dise. Six years later (1897) Mr. Cole sold his in-
terest to Mr. Lane and purchased a similar business
at that time owned by J. W. Mason & Co., and
has since carried on the business alone. Since 1901
he has been postmaster. He is treasurer of the
Hampton Water Works Company, justice of the
peace and notary public. In political faith he is a
Republican. He is a member of the Congregational
Church of Hampton, and has been superintendent
of its Sunday school five years. He is a fraternity
man, and is a member of Star in the East Lodge,
No. 59, Free and Accepted Masons ; Rockingham
Lodge, No. 22. Independent Order Odd Fellows,
of Hampton ; Huntoo Encampment, No. 59 ; and
Friendship Lodge. Royal Arcanum. He married,
June 16, 1896, at Rochester, Caroline E. Jones,
who was born in Rochester, January 23, 1873,
daughter of Charles and Maria (Noyes) Jones.
Thev have one child, Ernestine Cole, born June 9,
1898.

(Second Family.)

This name appears in Salem, Massa-
COLE chusetts, as early as 1650; in Boston in

T630-1634; Plymouth, 1634; and another,
the earliest in the colonies, that of James, who
finally went to Connecticut with Mr. Hooker in
1635. Other settlers bearing this cognomen came
early to New England.

(I) Thomas Cole was at Salem in 1650, and is
recorded as a husbandman. A Thomas Cole came
to Massachusetts in the "Mary and John," March
23, 1633, and was an original proprietor of Hamp-
ton, and is mentioned as of that place in 1638, but
whether the same individual is referred to in both
cases is not certain. His will is dated December 15,
1678, and it was proved April 27, 1679. His widow
Ann made her will November T, 1679, and it was
proved May 2, i68r. Their children were: Abra-
iiam and John, whose sketch follows.

(II) John, the second son of Thomas and Ann
Cole, was born between 1640 and 1650, and was
one of the inhabitants of Salem who protested
against imposts in 1668. One authority says he
moved to Boxford in 1717. and died "very suddenly"
in 1737, aged sixty-eight years; another says he was
a cooper by trade, and lived in Salem till about 1675,
when he removed to Maiden, and about 1684 to



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 56 of 149)