Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 61 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 61 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


world. In company with the late Ex-Governor
Weston and John B. Varick, Mr. Elliott owned
the valuable hotel property known as the Manchester
House. He is a tireless and persistent worker, and
his labors and influence have .contributed materially



in making Manchester the business center which it
is at the present time.

Mr. Elliott is an Independent Democrat in poli-
tics. Feeling that a change of law regarding the
liquor question would be a benefit to the state, Mr.
Elliott, together with a number of other prominent
citizens, endeavored in 1902 to compel the Republican
party to nominate a man for governor who would
declare himself on this issue. Failing in this, Mr.
Elliott was selected and nominated as an independent
candidate for governor, and the result of this was
the overthrow and repeal of the prohibition law
and the enactment of local option, high license law,
which was passed by the next legislature. Not only
in the state, but in local politics, Mr. Elliott takes
an interest, and endeavors at all times to use his
influence for the good of the greatest number of
people. He became a member of Washington
Lodge, No. 61, of Manchester, in 1870, and is also
a member of Mount Horeb Royal Arch Chapter,
No. 11; Trinity Commandery, Knights Templar;
Bektash Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine ; and charter member of the
Derryfield Club. He attends the Unitarian Church.
Among the most luxurious modern residences in
Manchester is "Brookhurst," occupied by Mr. El-
liott and his family, situated on the North river
road, and built in 1893. The estate surrounding the
house includes a part of the original historic Stark
farm (which belonged to General John Stark of
Revolutionary fame), comprising eight acres and
commands a beautiful view of the valley of the
Merrimack. Mr. Elliott married (first), 1873, Ella
R. Weston, born in Manchester, a daughter of Amos,
Jr., and Rebecca J. (Richards) Weston, and niece
of Ex-Governor James A. Weston. Mrs. Elliott
died in 1876, at the age of twenty-three years. Mr.
Elliott married (second), 1878, Medora Weeks, born
in Manchester, January 2, 1855, daughter of George
W. and Sarah (Mead) Weeks, and they have had
four children : Lucille Weeks, who married Harry
Gilman Clough, a sketch of whose family is to be
found elsewhere in this work. Laura Medora.
Mildred Weeks. Alonzo, Jr., a pupil at St. Paul's
School, Concord, New Hampshire.

Mrs. Elliott is descended from Leonard Weeks,
born in Somersetshire, England ; he built the first
brick house in New Hampshire, in 1638, and this is
now standing in Greenland (se ■ Weeks). He had
a son Captain Samuel. Matthias Weeks, son of
Captain Samuel Weeks, married Sarah Sanborn.

(4) Josiah, son of Matthias and Sarah (San-
born) Weeks, was born about 1756, and died in
Gilmanton in 1802. He was a shipwright by trade.
He sold his property in Exeter, November 8, 1779,
and two years later removed to Gilmanton, "near
the upper parish Meeting House," where he spent
the remainder o'f his days. He married in Exeter,
Abigail, daughter of Dudley James, also of Exeter.
She was a descendant in direct line from Governor
Thomas Dudley, second governor of Massachusetts
(see Dudley). She survived her husband, and
March 14, 1812, made a will bequeathing her estate
to her two sons : Dudley J. and John.

(5) Dudley J., son of Josiah and Abigail
(James) Weeks, was born in (gilmanton, 1788, died
in October, 1868. He was a cooper by trade, and
served as a soldier in the War of 1812. He mar-
ried Lucy Sampson, born 1791, died in Boscawen,
August I, 1825, and had children : Mary Jane, Ar-
villa L., Charles, Elizabeth F. and George W.

(6) George Warner, son of Dudley J. and
Lucy (Sampson) Weeks, was born in Boscawen,
August 12, 1824, and died in Manchester, Septem-



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1749



ber 10, 1903. He was the eighth in line from Edward
and Susanna (Fuller) White, of the "Mayflower."
Mr. Weeks' grandmother was Rachel (White) Samp-
son. At the time of the death of his mother he was
less than a year of age, and was taken into the
family of Rev. Parker O. Fogg, whose wife cared
for her motherless nephew until he was about twelve
years old. He was known as George W. Fogg. He
secured work in the mills of Manchester about 1839.
Afterward he went as a sailor in the East Indies
for two years, where he met with various adventures.
Upon his return he qualified himself for the po-
sition of teacher. In this capacity he served in
Manchester for some years, then for some thirty
years was engaged in the shoe business, and finally
turned his attention to the real estate and insurance
business. He was a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, having passed all the chairs,
including that of noble grand; was also a member of
the Free and Accepted Masons, Blue Lodge, chapter,
council, commandery and Scottish Rite up to the
thirty-second degree. The family were members of
the Unitarian Church, in which Mr. Weeks took a
prominent part. He took an active interest in school
matters, and served for several years as a member of
the board. He was a patron of music and the fine
arts, a man of considerable literary ability and took
an active part in all the affairs of his day. He mar-
ried, September 27, 1846, Sarah E. Mead, born in
Flopkinton, November 13, 1827, died October 25, 1903,
daughter of Albigence and Susan Clough (Dow)
Mead. They had three children: i. Laura A., died
young. 2. Medora W., married Mr. Elliott, as men-
tioned above. 3. George Perley, born February
22, 1863, was graduated from Dartmouth College
in 1885. He became a shoe manufacturer in Haver-
hill, and is a Mason. He married Carrie Foote
Everett, of Bradford. Mrs. ■ Weeks was of the
Goodman Mead family of Dorchester, who came over
in 1635. Her grandmother on her father's side was
Scilence Atherton, of the old James Atherton and
Major Simon Willard stock, of Lancaster, Massa-
chusetts.



This is an old English name which
KNOWLES has been identified with the history

of New Hampshire from a period
very soon after the original settlement within the
territory of the present state, and has been, honor-
ably connected with the progress and events from
that time down to the present. It is now repre-
sented by one leading citizen of Barnstead.

(I) The American ancestor of this family, so
far as records appear, was John Knowles, a mariner,
who settled in Hampton, where he was married,
July ID, 1660, to Jemima, daughter of Francis and
Isabella (Bland) Asten of Hampton. On March 25,

1666, he bought of Giles Fifield one dwelling-house
and house lot containing ten acres, together with six
acres of marsh. This house lot lay on the south side
of the common in Hampton, and entitled him to two
shares of the commonage. This homestead con-
tinued in the possession of his descendants down to
the seventh generation, and is perhaps still held
by them. He became blind during the last ten
years of his life, and died December 5, 1705. His
children were: John, Ezekiel, James, Joseph, Sarah
and Hannah.

(II) Simon, fourth son and child of John and
Jemima (Asten) Knowles, was born November 22,

1667, in Hampton. His wife Rachel died November
II, 1696, and he married (second), August 23, 1700,
Rachel Joy. Their children were : Simon, Rachel,



Joseph, Ruth, Jonathan and Abigail (Jonathan and
descendants receive mention in this article.)

(III) Simon (2), eldest child of Simon (i) and
Rachel Knowles, was born March 18, i6g6, in Hamp-
ton, and died in North Hampton, April 22, 1753.
He lived for a time in Rye, New Hampshire, where
record appears of one child. His wife's baptismal
name was Rachel, but her family name is not of
record, and only one child is recorded in New
Hampshire, namely, Joseph.

(IV) ^ Joseph, only son of Simon (2) and
Rachel Knowles, was born December 13, 1727, in
Rye, and resided in that town, where he was mar-
ried March 3, 1748, to Love Brackett. He died
November 7, 1823, in Rye. His children were : Si-
mon, Samuel, Deliverance, Love, Rachel, Joseph and
John.

(V) Deacon John, youngest child of Joseph and
Love (Brackett) Knowles, was born April 8, 1760,
in Rye, New Hampshire, and served as a Revolu-
tionary soldier. After that war closed he settled
in Centre Harbor, New Hampshire. A petition for
the incorporation of that town was signed in June,
1788, but was not granted. A second petition was
sent to the general court in 1797, which resulted
in the incorporation of Centre Harbor, previously
a part of New Hampton, on December 7 of that year.
The name of John Knowles was signed to the sec-
ond petition, and he was probably a resident of that
region for several years previously. He was select-
man of the town in 1813. No record of his marriage
appears in New Hampshire, but his wife's bap-
tismal name is known to have been Phebe. Their
children were: Lois, Sally, Isaac, Polly and Jo-
seph.

(VI) Joseph (2), youngest child of Deacon
John and Phebe Knowles, was born May 25, .1802,
in Centre Harbor, where he lived through life,
following agriculture as an occupation. He mar-
ried Betsey Smith, and they were the parents of
four children: Mary Annette, born July 29, 1831,
died January 21, 1888; John :iaines, May 29, 1833,-
Orissa Margaret, January 16, 1837; Ellen Nancy,
October 27, 1843.

(VII) John Haines, son of Joseph and Betsey
(Smith) Knowles, was born at Centre Harbor, New
Hampshire, May 29, 1833. In early life he moved
to the neighboring town of Meredith, where he was
a_ merchant till 1883, when he began to lose his
sight. He is a Democrat in politics, and served
several terms as selectman, and represented his
town in the legislature of 1883 and 1884. He mar-
ried Lovisa Merrill, daughter of Jacob and Mary
Merrill, of Centre Harbor. They had three chil-
dren: Herbert Smith, whose sketch follows; Lula,
born March 22, 1873, married W. A. Hopkins, of
Bndgeton, Rhode Island; Mary Blanche, born Julv
7, 1888, lives at home.

(VIII) Herbert Smith, only son and eldest child
of John Haines and Lovisa (Merrill) Knowles,
was born at Meredith, New Hampshire, July 4,
1871. He was educated in the schools of his native
tovvn, and at the New Hampton Institution, mean-
while clerking two years in Sanborn's drug store.
In 1889, when eighteen years of age, he went to
Bethlehem as clerk for C. G. White & Son, and in
1903 he bought out the store from the estate of the
former owner. Mr. Knowles is a Republican in
politics, and was town treasurer and treasurer of
the precinct for several years. He is a trustee and
steward of the Methodist Church. He belongs to
the Masonic fraternity, and is a member of Little-
ton Lodge and Lisbon Chapter. On Jrne 26, 1895,



I750



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Herbert Smith Knowles married Lillian Foss, daugh-
ter of Daniel W. and Ella M. Foss, of Pittsfield,
New Hampshire.

(HI) Jonathan, third son and fifth child of
Simon Knowles and fourth child of his second
wife, Rachel Joy, was born August 22, 1710, in
Hampton, and lived at Little River. The christian
name of his wife was Sarah and they were the par-
ents of Jonathan, Richard, Abigail, Josiah, Sarah
and two others, who died in infancy.

(IV) Josiah, son of Jonathan and Sarah
Knowles, was born September 10, 1754. He was
married, September 9, 1779, to Esther Blake, who
was born October 7, 1761. He married (second)
Martha Gate, of Epsom, who was born June 9,
1775. He resided in Epsom, and died there in 1840.

(V) Jonathan, son of Josiah and Esther (Blake)
Knowles, was born September 24, 1788, in Epsom.
He married (first) Peggy Locke, who was born
February 22, 1785. He married (second) Ruth
Philbrick, who was born September 4, 1788. She
died 1843, in Epsom.

(VI) Samuel B. Knowles, son of Jonathan and
■Peggy (Locke) Knowles, was born September 23,
181 1, in Epsom, New Hampshire, and died 1880, in
Barnstead. He was educated in the public schools,
and was captain in the militia. He was married
September 23, 1835, to Olive (Stevens) Bunker.
Their children were : Martha, John Henry,
Samuel Parker, Jonathan Cyrus and Olive Thomp-
son.

(VH) George Franklin, third son and fourth
child of Samuel B. and Olive (Stevens) Knowles,
was born January 25, 1849, on the paternal home-
stead in Barnstead. He attended school only eight
weeks, and is wholly self-educated, having been
forced to labor for his own support from the age of
eleven years. At this time he began to learn the
shoemaker's trade with Lewis Swain, but continued
only six months. He was next employed for a
period of eight months by J. R. Towle, a farmer,
and for this service received one hundred dollars
in wages. He lived in Northwood four months, and
was employed as a teamster at a salary of four
and one-half dollars per week. At the age of six-
teen he decided to seek for better opportunities, and
went to Lynn, Massachusetts, where he was em-
ployed at a salary of twelve dollars per week by
the Rev. H. M. Brant, who was engaged in the
manufacture of shoes as well as in the propagation
of the gospel. After a year in this employment
Mr. Knowles was engaged by Breed & Drake as a
machinist, continuing with this firm two years, at
a salary of fifteen dollars per week. He spent the
ensuing three years in fitting stock by the piece
for P. A. Ghase, a shoe manufacturer of Lynn
He was subsequently employed a., a journeyman by
Luther Johnson, with whom he remained a short
time at a weekly salary of twenty dollars. Having
been industrious and careful of his wages, he now
prepared to engage in business upon his own account.
Being invited to become a partner with John H.
Stevens, he accepted and the firm began a very
successful career in the manufacture of shoes.
After a time Mr. Knowles sold out his interest to
his partner and engaged in the manufacture of
women's shoes by contract. In 1883 he patented
a lady's sporting shoe and engaged successfully in
its production, and when he sold out this business
its valuation was placed at thirty-four thousand
dollars. Mr. Knowles next took charge of J. R.
Towle's shoe factory in Northwood at a salary of
five thousand dollars per year, but this engagement
lasted only a short time, as he was induced by



Governor Tuttle and other citizens of Pittsfield to
establish a shoe factory in that town. On November
I, 1891, in company with A. W. Poole, he began busi-
ness in a new building erected for the purpose in
Pittsfield. This building had a ground dimension of
one hundred fifty by forty-five feet and was two
stories in height. The business soon increased so
that they were forced to extend the capacity, and
secured two-thirds of an adjoining building, two
hundred by thirty-five feet and four stories high.
The concern has been in continual operation, keep-
ing up the average output through dull times, and
employs an average force of three hundred fifty
hands, and the amount of business transacted an-
nually foots up half a million dollars. On ac-
count of failing health Mr. Knowles retired from
this business and purchased his present farm of
one hundred and sixty-five acres in Barnstead, just
below the paternal homestead. On this he erected a
modern residence with all the necessary outbuild-
ings, and provided water works to supply the same.
The buildings are commodious and attractive in
appearance, and cost five thousand dollars. Mr.
Knowles is a lover of good horses, and has made
a specialty of rearing fine stock, and has the finest
herd of Jersey cattle in Belknap county. He is
extensively interested in lumber operations, and now
gives his time chiefly to that business, in which he
employs twenty-five men. He has cut from his own
farm one and one-half million feet of timber, and
his annual cut now amounts to three million, which
is sawed in hisi own mill. He has added to the
original farm, and his holdings now include about
seven hundred acres. Mr. Knowles is a steadfast
Republican in political principle, but has never as-
pired to any office. He is fraternally associated
with Everett Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Pitts-
field. He was marfied, November, 1896, to Miss
Agnes Whitten, daughter of Gustavus Dana and
Madeline G. (Porter) Whitten. The former was
born in Holderness (now Ashland), October 11,
1835. His wife was of Scotch origin. They were the
parents of five children : Mary S., Gharles P., Frank
B., Agnes and Annie M. Gustavus D. Whitten was
the son of Ezra Sawyer and Susan Shackford (Stur-
tevant) Whitten, the latter born March 21, 181 1, in
Genter Harbor; she was a daughter of Hosea and
Sally (Paine) Sturtevant.



The early history of the Colbath
GOLBATH family is, like that of many another
(in truth we might say, most
others), shrouded in more or less of doubt and
mystery. This is due partly to the fact of few
records being kept in early days ; partly to changes
and wars that brought about the removal or
destruction of those heads of families who were
capable of handing down orally such valuable in-
formation ; and to the serious loss by firm
of those books and manuscripts in which matter
bearing upon and relating to family, church and town
history were recorded. Indeed, this latter cause,
fire, is the fell destroyer that has blotted forever
from the pages of history important and valuable
data.

Southgate. in his "History of Scarborough,
Maine," published in 1853, writes : "Several broth-
ers bearing the surname Golbath came from Eng-
land early in the eighteenth century and settled in
various parts of New England.

Ridlon, in his "Saco Valley Families," claims
that Scotland was the country from which the
early Golbaths emigrated. He writes as follows :
"The name Golbath, as now spelle9 in America, has



.s^^X"C\^




o
o

s

B
<^
ffl

O
O



o






<
o



O



w
<


n
p

<
in

<;



o

o



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1751



undergone the mutilation common to nearly all
surnames dating from an early period. We lirst
find it as Calbreath, and later running through such
changes as Galbreth. Galbraith, Colbrailli, Kil-
breth and Colbroth. The various forms of spelling
may be attributed to the fancy of some cadets of
the family who, as younger sons, established junior
branches in new localities ; and to such early scribes
as received the pronunciation of names from men
of foseign accent.

"The name originated in two Gaelic words,
'Gair and 'Bhretan,' meaning 'The Stranger
Briton,' or as it were, 'Children of the Briton.' "

They were th^n evidently, descendants of that
great, splendid tribe of Brythorn Gauls, or, as the
Romans called them, Britons, who invaded and
conquered the English Isles some three hundred
years before the Christian era. and gave the name
of Great Britain to them for all time. Later, when
the invading Saxon and Englishman came, they
found in these Britons their fiercest foes. More
than two centuries of the bitterest war was waged
ere they were overcome, and then, only by the
ever increasing hosts of the Saxon. Quoting again
from Ridlon :

"As intimated, the families bearing these names
are of Scottish derivation. The earliest of whom
we have found mention were Gillispick Galbrait
(1230 A. D.) and Arthur Galbrait (1296 A. D.),
who swore fealty to King Edward I. William
Galbraith is mentioned as a person 'of good ac-
count' in the middle of the fourteenth century. Ca-
dets of the family early intermarried with the
lordly houses of Douglass and Hamilton, and
through such alliances became possessed of exten-
sive estates in Scotland, where they have con-
tinued. During the time of the plantation of Ulster
in the north of Ireland by Scottish families (1608-
1620), several brothers named Calbreath or Gal-
braith, who had purchased extensive lands from
Sir John Calyuhon, Laird of Luss, removed to that
country. These lands, which were called the Manor of
Corkagh, were sold in 1664, and two of the brothers,
Humphrey and William Galbraith, were retained as
agents of Bishop Spottiswood. Another of the
brothers was Robert Galbraith. The present repre-
sentative of the family in Great Britain is John
Samuel Galbraith, Esq., magistrate, high sheriff,
justice of the peace, and doctor of laws. Heir
presumptive his brother, Robert Galbraith. The
familv seat is Clanabogan, Countv Tvrone, Ire-
land."

Nason, the biographer of Hon. Henry Wilson,
late vice-president of the United States, says :
"Wilson's ancestors, the Colbaths, were of excel-
lent stock, largely from Argyleshire, in Scotland."

Burke's "Encyclopaedia of Heraldry,'" the great
authority in such matters, gives the family coat-of-
arms. Bendy of six, argent and azure ; on a chief
sable, three crosses patee or. The simplicity of
these armorial bearings would indicate a very early
date; the use of a "chief" presupposes leadership by
its bearer ; and the pattee crosses point to the bearer
being a participant in the crusades to the Holy
Land and a member of the order of "Knights
Templar."

And on his brest a bloodie crosse he bore,

The deare remembrance of his dying Lord,

For whose sweete sake that glorious badge he wore.

And dead, as living ever, hitn adored :

Upon his shield the like was also scored."

— Silencer.

(I) So far as known, the earliest appearance
of the name Colbath in America is that of John
Colbreath, who was one of the Scotch Presby-



terians of the "North of Ireland," who petitioned
"his E.xcellency Colonel Samuel Suitt, Gov. of New
England," (Gov. Samuel Shute) "to assure his Ex-
cellency of their inclinations to transport themselves
to his plantation upon obtaining suitable encourage-
ment from him." While many of those names
written nearly two hundred years ago (March 26,
1718) are nearly, some quite, obliterated, the name
John Colbreath, remains clear and distinct. The
handwriting is almost identical with that of the
early Colbaths of Newington, now to be found •
upon legal papers, and gives satisfactory proof that
he and George Colbath, (Colbroth, or Colbreath)
who was the ancestor — we believe the emigrant
ancestor — of the New Hampshire line of Colbaths,
were of the same family.

The next apearance of the name is found in
Bradford, [Massachusetts. "William Nutt, Jane
Colbreath, married May 30, 1723." Next we find
in a journal kept by Rev. Joseph .'X.dams, who
was pastor of the Newington church from Novem-
ber 16, 1715, to the date of his death. May 20, 1783,
this entry:

"1725 Sepr 19. Mary Coolbroth owned ye
Covenant and was baptized."

"Item. James, Pitman, William & Joseph &
Benjamin Sons & Susanna & Mehitabel Daughters
wr baptized" "1728 Feb 4. "George Coolbroth owned
ye Covenant & was baptized."

We have but one earlier mention of George
Colbath — the taxlist of Portsmouth, for the year
1727. shows John and George Colbath as taxpayers.
As shown by an old deed, dated July 30, 1730,
George Colbath bought land in Newington, of Wil-
liam and Abigail Cotton, of Portsmouth. August
13. ^7i^' lie was granted administration of the
estate of his son George Colbath, Jr., in which ^
appointment he is styled "yeoman." April 14, 1752,
he sold land in Newington, "with the dwelling
house and bam standing thereon," to his son
Joseph Colbath, and his wife Mary Colbath joined
in the conveyance. Thus we have positive evidence
of the existence of eight persons who were sons
and daughters of George and Mary Colbath :
George, James, Pitman, William, Joseph, Benja-
min, Susannah and Mehitable.

It is of interest to note that three of these sturdy
sons — Pitman, Joseph, and Benjamin — served their
King, under Colonel Samuel Moore, at the siege
of Louisburg, in 1745. Later v, e find one of these
sons, Benjamin, a Revolutionary soldier, under
Colonel Nathan Hale ; he died in the service of his
country March 20, 1778. Three sons of Benjamin —
John, aged twenty-two years ; Downing, aged seven-
teen years ; and Dependence, aged si.xteen years — •
with their father, served their country in her hour
of need.

(II) James, second son of George and Mary
Colbath, is thought to have been born about 1715.
His wife, Olive Leighton. was the fifth child of
Thomas and Deborah Leighton, of Newington. Her
grandfather was Thomas, who married Elizabeth,
daughter of Elder Hatevil Nutter, of Dover, New
Hampshire, and her great-grandparents were Jo-
amia and Thomas Leighton (died January 22. 1671),
the English emigrants, who were married probably
in England.

The children of the marriage of James and ^
Olive Colbath were: Leighton, baptized December'
I, 1739: Independancc; flunking, February 17, 174.3;

Deborah, October 9, 1745; Keziah ; Winthrop,



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 61 of 149)