Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 75 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 75 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(H) Philip, second son and child of Joseph
Jones, was born April 3, 1802, in Bow, and died
January 26, 1836, in Hooksett. Like all of his fa-
thers' sons he became a mason and was an indus-
trious and successful workman, and by saving his
earnings was in time enabled to engage in business.
He embarked in trade in Suncook, and subsequently
established an extensive general store at Hooksett,
and was a popular and prosperous merchant. He
was a leading man in that town, and was elected
to nearly every town office and also served as post-
master. He was married in Bow, to Sarah Mead
Gates, daughter of Rev. Abraham and Judith (Ten-
ney) Gates, of Bow (see Gates, XIV). They were
the parents of two children : Abraham Gates, who
is the subject of the succeeding paragraph, and
Augusta A., who is the wife of Charles Haseltine,
of Concord. She has one son, George K. Hasel-
tine.

(HI) Abraham Gates, only son of Philip and
Sarah M. (Gates) Jones, was born in Bow. Octo-
ber 21, 1827. At the age of nine years he was left
by the death of his father to the sole care of his
mother. In 1839 she went on a visit to northern
New York, leaving her son in the care of his legal
guardian. Taking advantage of this opportunity to
begin life for himself, the boy, now twelve years
old, "ran away" and went to Concord, where he at-
tended the town school the following year and the
academy in the years 1841 and 1842. Anxious to
engage in business he became a newsboy and fol-
lowed that vocation during most of all of the years,
1843-44. On the 26th day of May, 1845, he entered
the office of Isaac Hill & Sons, editors, publishers
and proprietors of Hill's New Hampshire Patriot.
At the end of twelve weeks he was enthusiastically
discharged. August 18 following he was invited to
return and did so. At the end of ten weeks he
was uproariously discharged. At the end of twenty-
three weeks he was with less excitement again dis-
charged. He was again invited to return. He did
so, staying with the firm till the two Patriots
imited. May 15, 1847, a period of forty-eight weeks.
Each return was accompanied with a substan-
tial increase of wages, and time lost was paid for
in each case. Early in June, 1847, Mr. Jones went
to Lowell, Massachusetts, and there, in the office
of the Vox Popiili he performed his first day's
work as a full fledged journeyman printer. After
a short period of employment he fancied his health



needed attention and he spent the time to little pur-
pose till he was tendered a situation in the office
of the Independent Democrat, January 24, 1849.
From that time until February 21, 1854, he was
constantly employed in the various printing oflices
in Concord, New Hampshire. April 4, 1854, Mr.
Jones, with Parsons B. Cogswell, a fellow crafts-
man, purchased the office of the firm of Tripp &
Osgood, printers, and commenced business under
the firm name of Jones & Cogswell, and continued
until the fall of 1858. Mr. Jones then sold his in-
terest to Mr Cogswell and entered into business
with the firm of Fogg & Hadly, editors and pub-
lishers of the Independent Democrat, under the
firm name of Fogg, Hadley and Company, having
the general care and management of the typo-
graphical affairs of the office, and so continued
until the Democrat entered what was called the
Republican Press Association. During this time
Mr. Jones was severally chosen ward clerk, select-
man, moderator, councilman, alderman, superintend-
ent of repairs of highways and bridges, overseer of
the poor, treasurer, and finally in 1870 and 1871 was
elected and re-elected mayor of Concord. In the
meantime he sold his interest in printing, retiring
from that vocation forever, by the advice of his
physician, which was as follows : "Get out of office,
out of printing offices, and out of doors." in i860
Mr. Jones built a residence on Orchard street, and
in 1871 purchased a small farm on Fruit street
and entered into agricultural pursuits, which he
still follows. He has always taken a whole-hearted
interest in every enterprise he has undertaken. He
has been an industrious and enthusiastic worker in
private and in public life. His record attests his
energy and ability and the confidence reposed in
him by his fellow citizens. He is a Republican
whose membership dates from the early days of the
party. He is a prominent member of the Univer-
salist church, and has filled various positions in that
society. From his twenty-first birthday. October 21,
1849, he has personally had no use for a physician.
Although he has never been a user of intoxicating
liquors to excess, he has been, since October 31,
i860, a total abstainer from the use of strong drinks
or tobacco in any form. He married, June 10, 1856,
Helen Augusta Edmunds, born February 4. 183 1, in
East Weare, daughter of John and Diantha (Ho-
vey) Edmunds, farmers. They have two chil-
dren : Anna E. and Isabelle G. Anna Edmunds, born
in Concord, May 14, 1863, married William Durant,
of Concord, and they have one son, Anson Rus-
sell. Isabelle Gates was born in Concord, January
27, 1872, and married James H. Leighton, local
manager for Swift & Company, packers, and resides
at Nashua.



The ancient and honorable family of
JONES Jones has many branches and many dis-
tinguished members, but the multitude
bearing the name make kinship for more than three
or four generations back a difficult matter to trace
without more complete records than are generally
found.

(I) Albert Jones was born June 5, 1813. and was
a broom manufacturer nine years at North Hadley,
Massachusetts, whence he moved to Springfield,
same state, where he died January 12, 1850, in his
thirty-seventh year. He married, at North Hadley,
Massachusetts, Mary Ann Hibbard, who was born
September 4, 1814, in that town, and died November
I. 1896, aged eighty-two years. Five children were
born to them : William, Everett, Philo, George and
Frank H. The three older sons enlisted in the



1/9^



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Union army, and served under Grant in the Civil
war.

(II) Frank H., youngest child of Albert and
Mary Ann (Hibbard) Jones, was born in Spring-
field, Massachusetts, February i, 1846, and died July
II, 1895. He spent the greater part of his life as a
traveling salesman. He settled in Rochester, New
Hampshire, and resided there some years. The
seven years preceding his death he was employed in
the United States custom house in Boston. In poli-
tics he was a Republican. He married, December

27. 1870, Martha A. Dodge, who was born January
19. 1850, daughter of Jonathan and Sarah (Han-
son) Dodge. Two children were born to them:
Charles, who died young; and Albert Dodge, who
is mentioned below.

(III) Albert Dodge, son of Frank H. and Mar-
tha A. (Dodge) Jones, was born in Rochester, June

28, 1875. He graduated from the high school of
his native town in 1894, and the same year matri-
culated at Dartmouth College, where he was grad-
uated with the class of 1898. The following seven
years he read law in the office of Daniel Hall, Esq.,
and other lawyers, and was admitted to member-
ship in the New Hampshire bar, June 22. 1905.
Soon afterward he established himself in business
at Rochester, where he has since been busy in
building up a successful practice. He is a Repub-
lican in politics and liberal in religious ideas. He
is a member of the Humane Lodge, No. 21, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Rochester ; the Royal
Arch Chapter, Council of Royal and Select Masters ;
Commandery of Knights Templar; and Bektash
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine
of Concord. He married, September 21, 1898, Sarah
Amanda Warren, daughter of Joseph and Adelaide
(Elliott) Warren. They have one child, Warren
Dodge, born October 16, 1899.

Hon. Frank Jones, fifth son of Thomas
JONES and Mary (Priest) Jones, was born in

Barrington, September 15, 1832, and died
in Portsmouth, October 2, 1902. He spent his child-
hood and youth on his father's farm, which was
one of the best in the township, and had been in-
herited by the father from his father. Frank was
a sturdy, self-reliant boy, and even when but a youth
took charge of affairs at home in the absence of
his father and older brothers. At seventeen years of
age he decided that there was no reward sufficient
to keep him on the farm, and in spite of every in-
ducement ofifered by his father for him to remain at
home, the young man went to Portsmouth where his
elder brother Hiram had a general hardware store,
and entered into his employ. It was the custom in
those days to send loads of goods into the country
to be sold throughout the rural districts; and to be
a successful salesman required more accomplish-
ments than are now necessary to the sale of goods
in stores where the customer goes when he wants
to buy. The salesman had to be strong, hardy and
full of pluck, to be out in all kinds of weather
and travel over all sorts of roads ; he had to be
good natured, shrewd, alert, a good reader of human
nature, and full of commercial enterprise. Into this
business the young man entered, and the quality of
his ability as a merchant, and the extent of his
success as a salesman is attested by the fact that at
the end of four years he had saved sufficient capital
to buy an interest in his brother's business, so that
at twenty he was one of the business men of Ports-
mouth. Not long afterward he became sole pro-
prietor of the business, which he continued on an
enlarged scale until 1861, when he disposed of it



to his younger brother, True, who was an employe
in the establishment. Meantime, in 1858, he bought
an interest in the brewery established by the Eng-
lishman, John Swindels, in 1854. For a few years
after Mr. Jones became interested in this establish-
ment it was conducted under the firm name of
Swindels & Company. Then Mr. Jones became sole
proprietor, and inaugurated those improvements and
reforms in the methods and processes of manufacture
which resulted in brilliant success. The buildings
of the little brewery of 1858 were replaced by larger
ones from time to time, until nothing of the original
was left, and new structures covering five acres of
ground succeeded them, and the establishment be-
came one of the largest in the country, furnished
with all modern improvements and requiring one
hundred men to operate it. The old idea that first
class ale and porter could not be brewed in America
was quickly disproved by Mr. Jones, and those
products of quality equal to any brewed in England
or Ireland were produced in this brewery. Great
care was exercised as to the quality of the product,
and nothing of an inferior grade was ever per-
mitted to be sent out. In 1863 a large malt house was
built, the present brewery was erected in 1871, and
a second and still larger malt house was constructed
in 1879, giving the brewery a producing capacity
of two hundred and fifty thousand barrels, and a
malting capacity of three hundred and seventy-five
thousand bushels, annually. In 1875 Mr. Jones be-
came the leading member of a company which pur-
chased the wellknown South Boston Brewery of
Henry Souther & Company, under the firm name of
Jones, Johnson & Company, Honorable James W.
Johnson, of Enfield, being a member of the firm.
Changes in the personnel of the companj-, and the
style of the firm occurred, and finally the title be-
came Jones, Cook & Company, Mr. Jones retaining
the position of senior partner. The production of
this establishment was nearly equal in quanity and
quality to that of the Portsmouth brewery.

The residence of Hon. Woodbury Langdon, judge
of the supreme court of New Hampshire, and brother
of Governor Langdon, was burned in the first great
fire in Portsmouth in 1781. The house was rebuilt
on the same spot in 1786, and in 1830 the house and
lot were purchased by a joint stock company, and
converted into a house of public entertainment.
This house was enlarged and remodelled by Mr.
Jones in 1870, and burned in 1884. The "Rock-
ingham," for that was and is the name of the hotel,
was rebuilt by Mr. Jones and opened to the public
February 3, 1886, ajid had he done nothing else for
the credit of Portsmouth than to erect this magni-
ficent hotel, he would have earned the gratitude
of every citizen. The structure is of brick and free
stone, five stories high, with a frontage of upwards
of one hundred and fifty feet, and has first class
accommodations for about two hundred guests, with
all up-to-date conveniences, and is sumptuously
furnished throughout. Besides this great public
house, Mr. Jones built the Wentworth Hotel, in
Newcastle, which is acknowledged to be the leading
seaside hotel in New England. These two most
famous hostelries were built from plans of Mr.
Jones's own designing, and erected and equipped
under his own direction.. Mr. Jones's great suc-
cess in everything he undertook made him a man
much sought for as a business associate, and in
consequence he became closely identified with the
leading banks, railroads and other great corpora-
tions. He was a director of the Lancaster Trust
Company ; the Wolfboro Loan and Banking Com-
pany, and the New Hampshire National Bank of



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1/99



Portsmouth ; president of the Portsmouth & Dover
railroad; the Granite State Fire Insurance Com-
pany ; the Portsmouth Fire Association, and the
Portsmouth Shoe Company. For many years he
devoted much of his time to the active duties of the
presidency of the great Bostin & Maine railroad.

His prominence in business affairs and his inter-
est in all that concerned the city of Portsmouth,
led his nomination as the candidate of the Demo-
cratic party for the mayoralty of that town. He
elected in 1868 and re-elected the following year.
His administration was ma.rked by progress and
improvement without excessive taxation. He had no
need of the salary of the office, and devoted it to
public purposes. The first year's salary he gave as
a trust fund, the interest of which was to be used
annually for the purchase of books for the library
of the high school. The salary of the second year
he put in the hands of trustees on the condition
that if $5,000 more could be raised in five years,
he would then add another thousand dollars^ for the
purpose of establishing a public library to be pre-
sented to the city. Subsequently he was a candi-
date for presidential elector, but the normal Re-
publican majority could not be overcome, though
he received vote nearly as large as that cast by
the Republicans in the district. In 1875 he was the
nominee of the Democracy for congressman, and
though the district had been carried by the opposi-
tion at the previous election, he was elected by a
plurality of three hundred and thirty-six votes. Two
years later he was renominated, and the Republicans
put in opposition to him a candidate who had won
distinction both as a civilian and as a soldier, and
had been elected three times to the same office in
past' years; yet Mr. Jones's popularity prevailed,
and he was returned to congress by a plurality of
forty votes. At the end of his second term in this
office he refused to be a candidate again, since
the demands of his business were such that they
could no longer be neglected. He regarded this
as his final withdrawal from politics ; but in 1880,
against his emphatic protest, and with a unanimity
never before equalled in New Hampshire, he was
nominated for governor ; and though the defeat of
his party was known to be certain as the national
campaign preceded, he received a larger vote than
any Democratic candidate had ever before received,
and a greater number of votes than had ever been
given to the candidate of any party in a state election.
His services were marked by fidelity to the interests
of the people, and in committee work he was par-
ticularly efficient, his knowledge of business and
business methods making him especially strong in
that field. His residence, about a mile from the
Rockingham Hotel, is situated on property known
as "The Farm," containing about one thousand
acres, and is enclosed with hedges, charming grounds,
conservatories, and other appendages, and is by
courtesy called the "Public Garden of Portsmouth."

Phenomenally successful in his enterprises and
busy with the cares and responsibilities of a multi-
tude of business ventures, he seemed to enjoy his
wealth and his work, and took pleasure in dis-
charging his duties to his fellow citizens in both his
public and private relations. "In all his successful
business career," it has been written, "he never for
one moment forgot his duties to his fellow men,
nor the claims his native state and adopted city had
upon him ; he did all in his power to promote the
welfare and obtain the good will of all men, and
most strenuously labored for the health, wealth
and prosperity of the city of Portsmouth and its
neighborhood." His social and genial nature and



innumerable acts of kindness and courtesy caused
him to be held in the highest esteem by the people
at large, regardless of party or condition.

Mr. Jones married, September 15, 1861, Martha
S. (Leavitt) Jones, daughter of William B. and
Louisa D. Leavitt, and widow of his brother, Hiram
Jones, who died in July, 1859, leaving one child,
Emma I. Jones, who became the wife of Colonel
Charles A. Sinclair, of Portsmouth. Colonel Sin-
clair died in Brookline, Massachusetts, April 22,
1899. To Colonel and Mrs. Sinclair were born four
daughters : Grace J., married Parker W. Whitte-
more; Martha S., married Sherburn M. Merrill;
Mary Louise, married John C. Spring; Ellen Marie,
unmarried.



The Jones name is so numerous and
JONES contains so many different branches that

it has been found impossible to trace
the connection of this family.

(I). John Jones was born in Chichester, New
Hampshire, in 1842. He married Martha L. Wales,
who is now living in Concord.

(II) Dr. Edwin Emery, son of John and Martha
L. (Wales) Jones, was born at Loudon, New Hamp-
shire, January 4, 1870. He was educated at Pem-
broke Academy, spent one year at Dartmouth Col-
lege, and was graduated from the Dartmouth Medi-
cal School in 1894. While a student he was dis-
tinguished in athletics, and played on the foot ball
team, where he was captain in 1893. He practiced
tliree years in Norwich, Vermont, also doing hos-
pital work a year and a half at Hanover Hospital,
and in 1898 came to Colebrook, New Hampshire,
where he is permanently located. During the time
he spent in Vermont he served as health officer.
He was a member of the board of health in Cole-
brook for six years. He is a Mason, belonging to
the Blue Lodge, Eastern Star, and to North Star
Chapter, Eastern Star Council. He is a trustee of
the Methodist Church, and was its treasurer until
January i, 1907. He is a Republican in politics.
On July 3, 1894, he married Maude, daughter of
Edwin P. and Diantha Northrop, of Suncook, New
Hampshire. They have one son, Ralph Northrop,
born at Concord, January 16, 1898.



This ancient and respectable family
FRENCH established itself in America about
the end of the first decade of coloniza-
tion in Massachusetts, and has furnished many valued
citizens. The name comes either from a French
ancestor who settled in Britain and was called "the
French," in reference to his nationality, or from his
having lived in France.

(I) Edward French was born about 1590. .i"
England, and died December 28, 1674, in Salis-
bury, Massachusetts. With his wife Ann and two
or more sons he came to America about 1637, and
received land in the first division at Salisbury, where
he also bought land in 1642. He was a tailor by
trade, and probably possessed means when he left
England. He was a selectman in 1646-47-48, and his
name appears on most of the early town lists as
"commoner," taxpayer, etc. His will was made April
10, 1673, and proved two years and three days later.
His widow, who was probably a sister of Richard
Goodale (i), died March 9, 1683, in Salisbury. Ed-
ward French is listed among the settlers of Ips-
wich in 1637-38. His children were : Joseph, John,
Samuel and Hannah, the second born before 1633.
(Samuel and descendants receive notice in this
article.)

(II) Joseph, eldest child of Edward and Ann



i8oo



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



(Goodale) French, was born in England, and was
reared to his father's trade. He and his wife Su-
sannah were members of the Salisbury church in
1687. He was taxed in Salisbury as early as 1652,
and received land there in 1654. His wife died
February 16, 1688, and he survived her over twenty-
two years, passing away June 6, 1710. Their chil-
dren were : Joseph, Elizabeth, Simon, Ann, Edward
(died an infant), Edward and John.

(HI) Joseph (2), eldest child of Joseph (i)
and Susannah French, was born March 16, 1654,
and died December 14, 1683, in Salisbury, where he
was probably a farmer. He subscribed to the oath
of allegiance and fidelity in December, 1677. He was
married June 13, 1678, to Sarah, eighth child of
Roger Eastman (q. v.), who survived him and was
married August 4, 1684, to Solomon Shepherd. Jo-
seph French's children were : Joseph, Timothy and
Simon.

(IV) Joseph (3), eldest son of Joseph (2)
jind Sarah (Eastman) French, was born March 26,
1679, in Salisbury, and was known as "junior"
while he lived in that town. He appears in Salis-
bury records as a carpenter in 1728 and 1739, and
as husbandman in South Hampton in 1747. He
probably did not change his residence, at least, for
a great distance, as the establishment of the province
line in 1741 set many residents of Salisbury into
New Hampshire, in what was organized as the town
of South Hampton in 1742. He was married, De-
cember 20, 1699, to Abigail, daughter of Philip and
Mary (Buswell) Brown, and granddaughter of Dea-
con Henry Brown of Salisbury. Mary was a daugh-
ter of Isaac and Susanna Buswell. Joseph (2)
French died December 27, 1756. His children were:
Sarah, Joseph, Ebenezer, Daniel, Abigail and Oba-
diah. (Daniel and descendants receive mention in
this article.)

(V) Joseph (4), eldest son of Joseph (3) and
Abigail (Brown) French, was born February 27,
1702, in Salisbury and remained in that town until
after 1740, probably all his life. He was married
in Salisbury, Massachusetts, February 22, 1731, to
Ruth Knowles.

(VI) Simon, son of Joseph (4) and Ruth
(Knowles) French, was born in Salisbury, October
27, 1740. In 1764 he came to New Hampshire, set-
tling upon a farm in Candia, where he resided for
the remainder of his life, which terminated Au-
gust 3, 1823. He married for his first wife

Shacktord, daughter of John Shackford, of Chester,
and his second wife was Comfort Weeks Moore,
widow of Dr. Moore. His children were : Ruth,
who became the wife of Samuel Colby; Dolly, mar-
ried Andrew Rankin ; and John, who was the next
in line of descent. All were of the first union.

(VII) John, youngest child and only son of

Simon and (Shackford) French, was born

in Candia, March 25, 1770. He was an industrious
and energetic farmer, residing for the greater part
of his active life upon a farm in the immediate
vicinity of the property now owned and occupied
by his grandson, John P. French, and he was re-
garded as an eminently useful citizen, who fully
merited the esteem and good will which was ac-
corded him by his fellow-townsmen. His church
affiliations were with the Congregationalists. He
died in Candia, December 24, 1845. His wife was
before marriage Comfort Moore, daughter of Dr.
Moore, a native of Stratham, New Hampshire. She
became the mother of five children, namely: Martha,
Simon, Coffin Moore, Lucinda and Evelina.

(VIII) Deacon Coffin Moore, third child and
youngest son of John and Comfort (Moore) French,



was born in Candia, April 6, 1799. In early man-
hood he settled upon the farm which is now owned
by his son, John P., and a considerable portion of
his long and useful life was devoted to the service
of the town in a civic capacity and also to teaching
school. For a number of years he served with
ability as a member of the board of selectmen, and
he held other town offices. Politically he was in
his latter years a Republican, having united with
that party at its formation. He lived to be eighty-
two years old, and his death, which occurred in
1881, was not only the cause of general regret, but
was especially deplored by bis fellow-members of
the Congregational Church, which he had served as
deacon for many years. In 1825 he married Dolly
Pillsbury, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Currier)
Pillsbury, of Sandown, or Hanover. In her younger



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 75 of 149)