Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 81 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 81 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


impaired, and he sold out and went to
Lynn, where he was employed in a shoe shop three
years. Two years of this time he had charge of the
shoe burnishing department. After a short stay on
Long Island, Boston Harbor, he removed to Con-
cord, New Hampshire, where he was engaged in
the livery business five years, 1882-87. He then wejit
to Lynn, Massachusetts, where he took a contract
to do the buffing, burnishing, inspection, boxing,
etc., of all the shoes produced by one of the factories
there. He was thus engaged four and one-half
years, when his health again broke down, and he
removed to Nashua where he was in the loan busi-
ness with Franklin Tyrrell two years. In May, 1891,
he removed to Concord, and has since resided at the
old Lyman Walker place. He does a large truck-
ing and hauling business, employing several double
teams and from five to fifteen men. He also does
grading and supplies mineral building material, in-
cluding sand, stone, etc. He married, January 5,
1882, in Concord. Sarah Abby (Walker) Chandler,
widow of Horace W. Chandler, and daughter of
Lyman Abbott and Lucy Ann (Pratt) Walker, of
Concord.' She was born October 24. 1847, and died
June 10, 1905. She married (first), Horace William
Chandler, January 31, 1867, who was born June 4,
1846. He died 1877, leaving one daughter, Mabel
Walker Chandler, born December 7, 1868, who lives
with Mr. Coburn.

(II) Ezra, son of Edward Colburn married,
1681, Hannah, daughter of Samuel Varnum, of Ips-
wich, Massachusetts.

(III) Samuel, son of Ezra and Hannah (Var-
num) Colburn. married, 1717, Mary Richardson.

(IV) Jonathan, son of Samuel and Mary (Rich-
ardson) Colburn, born in 1729, and died in 1803,
married 1754, Mercy Hildreth, who died in 1807.
They had nine children : Saul and Jonathan, twins;
Mercy, Leah, Thaddeus, Abi, Sarah, Zachariah and
Micah, the subject of the following paragraph.

(V) Micah, youngest child of Jonathan and
Mercy (Hildreth) Colburn, born in 1774, was a
farmer in Dracut, Massachusetts, where he died.
He married S3bil Flint, born in Dracut.

(VI) Heman Flint, son of Micah and Sybil
(Flint) Colburn, was born in Dracut, January 28,
1805, and died May 25, 1876, at Lawrence, Massachu-
setts. He was educated in the common schools, and
on coming of age learned the trade of millwright,
at which he worked for half a century. A few years
before his death he moved to Lawrence, and dealt
in wood and coal. In politics he was a Democrat
and in religion a Congregationalist. He married
Julia Ann Colburn, born in Dracut, October, 19,
1807, died May 28, 1845. She was a daughter of
Gideon and ]\Iary Colburn. Their children were :
Dimond, Lydia A., Andrew Jackson, Amos, Lucy
Jane, Charles Lewis, Maria Lewis, and William F.

(VII) Amos Lincoln, third son and fourth child
of Heman and Julia Ann (Colburn) Colburn, was



born in Dracut, June 11, 1832. After acquiring a
common school education he engaged in business
with his father as a millwright for three years.
Subsequently he was a bridge builder in the employ
of the Concord railroad, until the outbreak of the
Rebellion. April 20, 1861, he enjisted as a private
in Company I, First New Hampshire Regiment, and
campaigned in Maryland and Virginia. He was at
Williamsport and Martinsburg, Virginia, and under
command of General Patterson in the attack on
Winchester. August 9, 1861, he was mustered out
of service in New Hampshire, as a corporal. He re-
enlisted in the same month in Company I, Fourth
New Hampshire Regiment, at Concord. Returning
to the front via Washington, the regiment took
ship at Fortress Monroe to join Sheridan's expedi-
tion to Hilton Head, South Carolina. From there
after a few months the Fourth was sent to Florida,
where it was stationed at various places the fol-
lowing year. He Wfis made first sergeant at muster,
and while at Hilton Head, May 17, 1862, was ap-
pointed second lieutenant. He was made first lieu-
tenant, December i, 1863, and declined a captain's
commission November g, 1864. Returning to Beau-
fort, South Carolina, he assisted in the siege of
Charleston. From that place he accompanied his
command to join General Butler in Virginia, and
was promoted to first lieutenant and assigned to
Company F. He was in the battle of Drury's Blufif,
May II, 1864, and was reported killed there. He
was present at the siege of Petersburg, and was
wounded twice in a mine explosion, June 30. On
August 16. following he was seriously wounded at
Deep Bottom by a minie ball entering above his
right knee. The next three months he spent in
Hampton hospital. While there he was promoted
to captain, but did not serve, as he was very soon
mustered out.

After returning to New Hampshire, Captain Col-
burn entered the employ of the Fairbanks Scale Com-
pany, as a salesman, and repair expert and was thus
employed from 1866 to 1872. He then established a
business for himself in Manchester, New Hamp-
shire, repairing and setting up scales, at which he
was an expert. In 1876 he opened a shop in the same
line of business in Lawrence, Massachusetts, and
later, in connection with his already extensive busi-
ness, engaged in the sale of coal and wood. Two
years later he sold out and engaged in the bundle
wood business. Removing to Concord, New Hamp-
shire, in 1897, he started the pioneer wood 3'ard,
which he operated until the fall of 1805. when ill
health compelled him to give it up. Mr. Colburn
has had wide experience in making mauls for driv-
ing piles and has shipped them to South America.
Australia and various parts of the world. He was
the first man to make a heel maul for use in shoe
shops.

Mr. Colburn has always been a live .member of
the Grand Army of the Republic, since he joined
Louis Bell Post, No. 3, of Manchester, about 1872.
On removing to Massachusetts he transferred his
membership to Needham Post, No. 39. When he
removed to Concord he became a member of E. E.
Sturtevant Post. No. 2. One day as he was visiting
Blossom Hill cemetery, in Concord, he discovered
a marker at a grave bearing his name, and on in-
vestigation he learned that the post had been decor-
ating his grave for several years ; therefore in send-
ing in his card for admission to the post he enclo<;ed
a check for $25 for services for decorating his
grave. Comrade Dan Newhall, commander at the
time, said he was entitled to the money, as he did
the work, so he kept the check as a joke. Captain



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1819



'Colburn is now ruined in health, yet he never regrets
that he fought for his country, and no one takes a
greater pride in the Grand Army of the RepubHc
than does this worthy, fearless, upright man, who
is ever true to his country and the flag. He was
married June 8, 1884, to Lydia Ann Dunne, born in
Fort Covington, New York, and died February 16,
1888, aged thirty-five years. In 1897 Mr. Colburn
married Lydia H. Caldwell, daughter of John and
Eunice (Oilman) Osman, and widow of William
Caldwell. She has a son by her first marriage, Har-
vey Maharg, of Chelsea, Massachusetts.

(IV) Zaccheus, youngest son of Thomas (2)
and Mary Colburn, was born February 16, 1765, in
Hudson, New Hampshire, and died October 10,
185 1, aged eighty-six. He married in Hudson, April
29, 1785, Rachel Hills, who was born April to,
1765. Both were descendants of pioneers of Notting-
ham West, now Hudson.

(V) Dr. Elijah, son of Zaccheus and Rachel
(Hills) Colburn, was born in Hudson, September 8,
1795, and died 'in Nashua, January 13, 1881, aged
eighty-six. After obtaining what education he could
in the common schools he attended Harvard Medi-
cal College, from which he graduated with the degree
of M. D. in 1823. He practiced a short time in Hud-
son, and soon after, 1823 or 1824, he removed to
Nashua, where he was perhaps the first permanently
located physician. There is no doubt that he was the
first physician who traveled with a horse about
Nashua and the then sparsely settled towns ad-
jacent. The Nashua Manufacturing Company was
at that time starting in business, and from it Dr.
Colburn bought the land upon which he erected the
house which was his home the remainder of his
life. During his early years he had his office on
the site of the present Odd Fellows' building, but
in his later years it was in an addition which he
made to his residence on Main street. Dr. Colburn
was a sagacious man, and learned in the ways of
his day and time, and as a physician he took a lead-
ing place in his profession. He was ambitious to
excel, conscientious, a close student, and always in-
dustriously employed. Having toiled for his own
education, he was deeply interested in schools and
anxious to help those who were trying to become
better informed. For many years he was one of the
trustees of the Nashua Literary Institution, and a
member of the school committee before Nashua
became a city. He was one of the incorporators
of the Nashua Gas Light Company, and one of its
early presidents. He was an honorable man, and
faithful to the teachings of the Unitarian Church,
of which he was a member. He was a member of
Rising Sun Lodge No. 39, Free and Accepted
Masons, and in 1843 and 1844 he was its worship-
ful master.

He married. June 22, 1826, Sarah Belknap, of
Framingham, Massachusetts, who was born Octo-
ber 16, 1806, and died in Nashua, daughter of Luther
and Hepsibah (Brown) Belknap, of Sudbury. Mas-
sachusetts. Luther Belknap, a leading citizen in
the region about Framingham, Massachusetts, was
born November 7, 1789, and died February 16, 1855,
aged sixty-six. He was a representative, justice of
the peace, selectman twenty-two years, and town
clerk seventeen years. Hepsibah Brown was born
in Sudbury, Massachusetts, July 28, 1769, and died
August 5, 1852, aged eighty-three. When a small
child she was left an orphan and adopted by her
uncle, Adam Howe, who was the proprietor of the
tavern at Sudbury, made famous by Longfellow's
poem, "Tales of a Wayside Inn." She was a mem-
ber of her uncle's family until her marriage. The



children of Dr. Elijah and Sarah (Belknap) Col-
burn were : Luther B., Edwin A., Sarah M., Bel-
knap S. and Susan E.

(VI) Dr. Edwin A., second son and child of
Dr. Elijah and Sarah (Belknap) Colburn, was born
at Nashua, December 13, 1829, and died in Nashua,
March 5, 1892, aged sixty-three. After acquiring
his early education in the public schools of Nashua,
he attended the Nashua Literary Institution of
which Professor David Crosby was then and for
manv year^ afterward principal. He was also a
student at Derry Academy. He studied medicine
in the office of his father, and was carefully in-
structed by him. Following this he attended the
Medical College at Woodstoik, Vermont, two years.
He subsequently matriculated at the New York
Medical College, in New York City, from which he
was graduated with the degree of M. D. in 1854.
After his return to Manchester he was associated
in practice with his father until the retirement of
the latter, about i86r. Dr. Colburn was a quiet,
modest and retiring man, whose greatest pleasure
was in the company of those who gathered about
his fireside. Public life had no attractions strong
enough to allure him from the domestic circle when
his professional labors permitted him times of
leisure. The only office he ever held was that of
city physician, and that in 1861. He never allowed
himself to be a candidate for office. Most doctors
are excellent judges of horses, and lovers of. fine
steeds. Dr. Colburn shared this regard for equine
excellence, and owned and drove some of the best
stock in the state. After the sale of the family es-
tate he erected a fine dwelling on Concord street,
where he intended to spend the evening of life in
the enjoyment of domestic tranquility and indulge
his love of animals. But he had occupied his new
place bvtt a short time when he was found with his
skull factured under the feet of an unbroken colt,
and lived but a few hours afterward. He had no
affiliations with secret societies. He attended the
Unitarian Church, but was not a member of any
sect. His religion was more in action than pro-
fession. He married, June 26, 1861, Anna S.
Dodge, of Antrim, who was born September 16,
1838, daughter of Alvah and Lydia (Elliot) Dodge
(see Dodge, V), who survives him, and occupies
the handsome home he provided for her. She at-
tends the Unitarian Church, and is a member of
Matthew Thornton Chapter, Daughters of the
American Revolution, and the Benevolent Circle.



This is one of the many forms of
JENKINS names indicating Johnson. It is de-
rived from two ancient words, the
second of which indicates small and the literal
translation of the name would be "Little John."
It has numerous representatives throughout the
United States, and has been identified with the pio-
neer settlement of Maine and New Hampshire. The
records show that Reginald Jenkins, who was per-
haps a son of Reginald Jenkins who settled in Dor-
chester in 1630, was a resident of Kittery, Maine.
He was among those who petitioned in 1652 to be
placed under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts,
and subsequent to that period removed to Dover.
His wife's name was Ann and they had a daughter
Philadelphia, who was married June 14, 1676, at
Dover, to Matthew Estes.

(I) William Jenkins, who was probably a de-
scendant of Reginald Tenkins, died at Dover, Decem-
ber 10, 1785. H^. was married at Hampton to
Phoebe Hoag, who died at Dover, March 29. 1774.
Their children were : Hannah, Elizabeth, Phoebe,



1 820



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



William, Joseph, John, Jonathan and James. By
the (second) wife Ruth, William Jenkins, who was
then residing at Lee, had Sarah. Phoebe, Hannah
and Timothy. He and his family were Quakers, and
like other poor Quakers of that time were much per-
secuted and of course had no ooportunity to take part
in civil affairs. Hence the only record to be found
of this family is in that made by the Dover monthly
meeting of the Quakers.

(H) John, third son and sixth child of William
and Phoebe (Hoag) Jenkins, was born September
30, 1752, in Lee, New Hampshire, and settled in
Barnstead, where he purchased a tract of land near
Suncook pond, and settled upon it. He finally be-
came the owner of considerable land in Lee, where
he died. His children were: John, Joseph, Lois,
Hannah, Sally and William. John lived and died
in Lee; Joseph is mentioned below; Lois married
Sargent Hanson, and lived in Madbury; Hannah
married Jacob Odell, of Durham; Sally married John
M. Chesley, and lived in Barnstead; William was a
manufacturer of starch, and lived in New York
(further mention of him appears below).

(HI) Joseph, second son and child of John
Jenkins, was born February 15, 1794, in Lee, and re-
moved to Barnstead when a young man. He was one
of the most considerable landowners of the town, and
was largely engaged in buying and selling timber
lots. He served as selectman many years, and was
a representative in the state legislature two years.
He died in Barnstead, 1886, at the age of ninety-
two years. He married (first) Nancy Walker, born
in Portsmouth, died in Barnstead in 1833, aged
forty; and he married (second), Lydia Merrill.
The children by the first wife were: Louisa, Wil-
liam A., Joseph, John W., and Oran J.; and bv
the second wife: Charles R, Everett, Lewis C.
and Louisa (twins), Calvin, Melvin, and Mary and
Lyman H. (twins). (Oran J. and descendants are
noticed in this article.)

(IV) William Albert, eldest son and second
child of Joseph and Nancy (Walker) Jenkins, was
born in Barnstead, January 10, 1822, and died July
21, 1890. He was educated in the common schools.
In political sentiment he was first a Republican and
in later life an Independent. In his young manhood
he was a lieutenant in the state militia. He was a
man whose sound judgment and good common
sense were relied on by his fellow citizens, who
elected him to the office of county treasurer, in
which he served in 1873-74. He married Maria
Garland Berry, daughter of Samuel G. and Mary
(Chamberlain) Berry. She was born February 9,
1821, and died April 7, 1875. They were the parents
of nme children: Samuel Franklin, Albert Thomp-
son, Nancy Maria, William Gilmore, William Edgar,
Solon Berry, La Forest, Clarence S. and Elizabeth
Belle.

(V) Samuel Franklin, eldest child of William
A. and Maria G. (Berry) Jenkins, was born in
Barnstead, October 7, 1847. After completing his
attendance at the common schools he went to Ne-
braska and took up a farm in that state, in the val-
ley of the Platte river. After a residence of several
years there he returned to his native town and
bought and operated a saw mill. In 1888 he re-
moved to Pittsfield, where he has been the local
representative of the Manchester Union for fourteen
years, and did considerable other newspaper work.
He has filled the office of judge of the police court
for fourteen years, and justice of the peace and
member of the school board. He is independent in
politics, and attends the Baptist Church. He mar-
ried in Fremont, Nebraska, jNIay 7, 1868, Martha



Zelanda Eaton, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth
(Cleaves) Eaton. Her father was a millwright
and m.achinist. She received a common school and
academic education. Their children are : Winifred
Ella, born in Barnstead, January 7, 1879, gradu-
ated from the Pittsfield high school, and now teaches
in the village schools; and Arthur Eugene, born in
Barnstead, November 20, 1882, a graduate of the
Pittsfield high school, who is now a salesman in a
boot and shoe store in Pittsfield.

(IV) Oran Jerome, fifth child and fourth son of
Joseph and Nancy (Walker) Jenkins, was born in
Barnstead, October 2, 1829. He attended the com-
mon schools, and a short time at Pittsfield Academy.
He was born and brought up on the farm, and has
always followed that calling except for a few years
when he was conducting a potato starch factory
in Bombay, New York. In 1880 he settled perma-
nently in Pittsfield. He has a farm and a comfort-
able home on Concord hill, which commands a
pleasant view overlooking the village. He was
brought up a Republican, and adheres to that faith.
He attends the Baptist Church. He married, in
Bombay, New York, December 27, 1856, Mary
Adelaide Sweet, born in Bombay, New York, De-
cember 19, 1839. Her parents were Stephen C. and
Mary Sweet. Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins have three
children : Aston S., Wilber E. and Alvira L. As-
ton S. was born September 15. 1858, and has three
children : Gertrude, Catherine, and Bessie May.
Wilber E., born September 16, 1861, is a mer-
chant in Amsterdam, New York. He married, in
Amsterdam, Minnie Snyder, of that place, and they
have one son, Volney G. Alvira L., Ijorn May
5, 1863, married George Salter and died in 1898,
leaving two children, Grace and Mildred Alice.

(III) William, son of John and Abigail (Var-
ney) Jenkins, by deed dated February 19, 1S06,
transferred land in Barnstead to his son John. His
wife was Joanna Foss.

(IV) William, son of William Jenkins, was
born January 4, 1799. He married Abra H. Hans-
comb, daughter of John and Hannah (Foss) Hans-
comb, who was born August 5, 1807. They had
four children born to them : John Hanscomb ;
Frank, died in childhood ; Mary Augusta, died in
childhood; William Albert, died at age of eleven
years. William Jenkins died May 13, 1882 ; his
wife, December 25, 1890.

(V) John Hanscomb, son of William and Abra
H. (Hanscomb) Jenkins, was born September 24,
1832, at Barnstead, New Hampshire. He was edu-
cated in the public schools at Barnstead, at Pitts-
field Academy, a select school at North Barn-
stead, taught by Dr. Walker, at Pembroke
and Gilnianton academies and the McGaw In-
stitute where he was a student 1855-56.
He began teaching school in the fall of
1853 and so continued for nearly twenty-five years,
being engaged in six different towns in New Hamp-
shire, also Maine and Massachusetts. He taught
the grammar school in Newmarket three years,
1860-62. He was also assistant for a time in Pitts-
field Academy and at the McGaw Institute. In
political faith he has always been a staunch Demo-
crat, casting his first vote in 1854. With the excep-
tion of two he has been honored with all the offices
of the town. He owns a farm about three-quarters
of a mile from Barnstead Centre, which he has culti-
vated in connection with his teaching. In his church
affiliations he has been connected with the Congre-
gational Society. He is a Free Mason, having been
connected with the order for nearly fifty years;
a member of Morning Star Lodge, No. 17, Wolf-



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1821



boro. He is also a member of the Grange, Patrons
of Husbandry, and has been a member of Sons
of Temperance. He was a member of the state and
national societies of Sons of Temperance.

He married, December 16, 1858, Alvira R.,
daughter of Jacob and Emma (Richardson)
Wilker. Her twin sister was married the same day
occasioning a double wedding. His wife traces her
lineage back to John White, who came to America
in 1620. Their children are : i. Mary Augusta,
bom at Newmarket, New Hampshire, September
15, 1861, married Llewellyn H. Emerson (his sec-
ond wife), December 16, 1893, and has one son,
Ray J. Emerson, born August 18, 1894. 2. Frank
Albert, born January 22, 1864, died October 30,
1869. 3. William Augustus, married Margaret A.
Foss, daughter of James L. and Eliza Foss, De-
cember 25, 1889 ; their children are : Clarice A.,
born August 4, 1890; Evelyn Agatha, December 22,
1892; Harvey Foss, February i, 1894; Asahel May-
land, August 28, 1897. 4. Emma Abra, born March
7, 1868. 5. Grace Darling, born March 31, 1870,
married Llewellyn H. Emerson, son of Charles F.
and Emily J. (Hall) Emerson, December 25, 1888,
and died May 12, 1892. 6. John J., born May 6,
1872, married Mary Edith Maxfield, daughter of
Henry W. and Harriette L. TMellen) Maxfield,
April 25, 1898, and their children are : Earle Max-
field, born January 4, 1899; Grace Darling, January
19, 1900; Nina Harriette, December 30, 1900, died
August 20, 1901 ; Harriette Neva, April 26, 1902.
Mary Edith (Maxfield) Jenkins died October 9,
1903- 7- Warren Washington, born May 10, 1874,
died June 24, 1879. 8. Joseph Mayland, born April
25, 1876, died June 24, 1879. 9. Mirie Abbie, born
May 28, 1880, married Frederick P. Frame, son of
Henry L. and Ellen M. (Alley) Frame, June 18,
1906. 10. Warren Mayland, born November 14,
1881, died March 19, 1882.



The surname Hanson is of very
HANSON ancient origin, and was handed down
by the Flemings to the English speak-
ing people. The root of the name was Hans, which
is the only one of the abbreviations of the original
Johannes, and from the latter we derive the familiar
Hansons, Hankins, Hankinsons, Hancocks and
others.

The family has been traced through many
centuries and generations in the Old World. For
the purpose of this article we shall begin by num-
bering the American ancestor I. The generations
which appear to be authentic in the Old World
begin with L Roger de Rastrich, living in 1251,
time of Henry III, in Wapentake of Morley, York-
shire, England ; held lands in Rastrich, Skircoat,
Clayton, Bradford, etc. H. Hugh de Rastrich,
HL John de Rastrich. IV. John de Rastrich,
V. Henry de Rastrich, VI. John de Rastrich. called
"Henry's son," then Hanson. VII. John Hanson,
VIII. John Hanson. IX. John Hanson, whose de-
scendants founded the family in New Hampshire.
(I) Thomas Hanson had a grant of one hundred
acres of land (II, iimo. 1658) near Salmon Falls,
in the province of New Hampshire. He came to
Dover, New Hampshire, in 1639, and died 1666.
He was admitted a freeman. May 4, 1661, and in
1664-65 lived at Cochecho, where he was taxed as
Thomas, Sr., 1664-65. His name 3oes not appear
again on the list of taxables, but his widow was
taxed in 1666 and 1672. "Old Widow Hanson,"
as the record reads, was killed June 28, 1689. The
will of Thomas Hanson was admitted to probate
June 27, 1666, and his wife Mary was named in that



instrument as his executrix. He gave money to his
two daughters, and divided his real estate and other
property among his sons, Tobias and Thomas, and
two others then under age, Isaac and Timothy.
The children of Thomas and Mary Hanson were:
Thomas born about 1643; Tobias; Isaac, taxed at
Cochecho in 1672; Timothy, and the two daughters
who are not named. (Tobias and descendants re-
ceive mention in this article.)

(II) Thomas (2), son of Thomas Hanson,- of
Dover, and Mary, his wife, was born about 1643,
and was taxed at Cochecho from 1664 to 1667. He
married and had children, but the name of his



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 81 of 149)