Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 83 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 83 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In connection with the paving Mr. Hanson also
had cast by the Rochester Foundry & Machine
Company, new special sewer grates to conform to
the paving bearing the street monogram in place of
earlier grates which were also put in by Mr. Hanson
a number of years ago. The people of Rochester
have known for years that enchanting stretch of
woodland on the bank of our beloved Cocheco
(now almost in the center of our city) known
as Hanson's Pines, which Mr. Hanson preserved
from the axe of the woodman at a money loss in
fires, etc., beside being most valuable building lots,
if cleared, (there being one hundred and four lots)
well knowing the exquisite pleasure their charming
shades bestowed on a tired and .weary world, be-
sides being the trysting place of many moon-eyed
lovers who have there discoursed to their ladies
eyebrows for better of for worse.

Mr. Hanson married, September 19, 1S39, Bet-
sey S. Chase, daughter of Simon Chase, who con-
ducted a mercantile business in Rochester. Two
sons were born to them, Charles A. C, August 18,
1844, and George Washington, July 6, 1854, died
January 6, 1856. It is to the elder son, Charles
A. C, that the credit is due for the establishment
of the Old Cemetery Conservation Fund — Perputa^
for the perpetual care and improvement of the
Old Cemetery. He bore the original expense of
over three hundred dollars from his own pocket
and raised a fund of about five thousand dollars
which he turned over to the town for the purpose
specified. While engaged in making the final ar-
rangements for the completion of this work he
was severely injured bv an elevator and crippled for
life.

Dominicus Hanson was an earnest supporter of
General Jackson for president at the time of his
candidacy for second term, although he w^as not
old enough to vote. His first ballot was cast for
Martin Van Buren. Before attaining his majority
he was appointed postmaster by General Jackson
in 1835 and continued to hold the office under the
administrations of Van Buren and Harrison four-
teen years in his store, making great improvements
in the office and introduced the first boxes. Mr.
Hanson instituted the first independent postoffice in
Rochester, erecting a building on Hanson street
in 1873 expressly for it, which he rented to the
government at a nominal price (the postoffice up
to this time had been located in stores). The post-
office remained in this building twenty-six years
until 1899, when it was removed to its present lo-
cation in Farrington Block, Hanson street, by our
present enterprising and most worthy postmaster,
Osman B. Warren, Esq., who newly equipped it,
making it one of the finest offices in the state.

We find among Mr. Hanson's eiTects an old pa-
per yellow with age which reads as follows :
"The State of New Hampshire,
To Dominicus Hanson : Gentleman ;

Greeting.

We reposing especial trust and confidence in

your Fidelity, courage and Good Conduct, Do, by

these Presents constitute and appoint you, the said

Dominicus Hanson PAY IMASTER of the 39th



Regiment of Militia in the State of New ITampshire
with the Rank of Leutinant etc etc etc. signed
His Excellency the Governor, Isaac Hill 24th day of
August 1836."

He was a director of the Norway Plains Savings
Bank for a number of years.

In religious views Mr. Hanson was a liberal,
although specially interested in the Universalist
faith. He was kindly disposed to all and gave liber-
ally to all improvements and benefits for the public
good, believing in the fatherhood of God and the
Brotherhood of man and a higher and better life
for all.



There is no doubt whatever that the
HANSON Hanson families of Barnstead, New

Hampshire, who have lived in that
town in one generation after another for more
than one hundred and fifty years are direct de-
scendants of Ihomas Hanson, of Dover, New Hamp-
shire, although there is no record by which to de-
termine which of the sons of Thomas is in the line
from the ancestor to Ebenezer, the progenitor of
the Barnstead Hansons. But notwithstanding this
it is safe to assume that the families are in direct
relation, although the descent connot be distinctly
established.

(V) Ebenezer Hanson, progenitor of the numer-
ous family of that name in Barnstead and other
towns of the state, was born April 12, 1759, and
died May 26, 1826. He married, September 6, 1789,
Abigail Caverno, born May 10, 1770, • and died
April 14, 1854. She was a daughter of John Ca-
verno, of Barrington, New Hampshire, and grand-
daughter of Arthur Caverno, who immigrated to
America about 1735 from the north of Ireland, and
was of Scotch-Irish descent. Arthur Caverno was
born about 1718, and married Fanny Potts, who was
born in Ireland about 1720. Ebenezer and Abigail
(Caverno) Hanson had thirteen children: Caverno,
Paul, John, Sally, Polly, Ebenezer, Hannah, Judith,
Nathaniel, Caleb, Abigail, Sarah and Jeremiah Han-
son.

(VI) Nathaniel, ninth child and fifth son of
Ebenezer and Abigail (Caverno) Hanson, was born
May II, 1807, and died October 5, 1891. He married,
April 16, 1829, Margery Evans, who was born June
20, 1809, and died March 9, 1891. They had chil-
dren : John, Caleb W., Levi H., Nathaniel L., Ebe-
nezer, Lewis F., Joseph B., and George and Jennie
B. Hanson. Margery Evans, wife of Nathaniel
Hanson, and mother of Ebenezer Hanson of Barn-
stead, was a daughter of Edmund and Dorothy
(Hardy) Evans, and Dorothy Hardy was a daugh-
ter of Theophilus Hardy and Mary (Sullivan)
Hardy. Mary Sullivan was born in Berwick, Maine,
in 1752, and died in Straft'ord, New Hampshire, in
1827. She was a sister of General John Sullivan,
of Revolutionary fame, and a daughter of John
Sullivan, of Berwick, ]\Iaine, who was born in
Limerick, Ireland, June 17, 1690, and died in Ber-
wick, June 20, 1785. He emigrated from Ireland
to America about 1723 and settled at Berwick, where
he was a farmer, conveyancer and school teacher
until he was ninety years old. About 1735 he mar-
ried Margery Brown, born in Cork, Ireland, in 1714,
and died in Berwick, Maine. He married (second),
at Fort Pownal, Maine, Abigail Bean, daughter of
John Bean, who with others obtained a patent for
the land on which the town of Sullivan, Maine, is
built.

(VII) Ebenezer, fifth child and fifth son of Na-
thaniel and Margery (Evans) Hanson, was born in
Barnstead, New Hampshire, March 22, 1841, and is



1 826



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



numbered among the oldest and most prominent
business men of that town. He was brought up on
his father's farm and sent to the district school,
and afterward was a student in the academies at
Pittsfield, New Hampton and Gilmanton. After
leaving school he learned the trade of shoemaking
and followed it for some time. Later on he went to
Boston and engaged in mercantile pursuits, and
after having acquired an understanding of the busi-
ness returned to New Hampshire and for some time
carried on a general store at New Market. From
that place he soon removed to South Barnstead,
where for many years he has been proprietor of an
extensive general mercantile establishment. For
twenty-eight years previous to the Cleveland ad-
ministration Mr. Hanson was postmaster at South
Barnstead, and also for some time was a justice of
the peace. Besides general merchandising he deals
considerably in lumber and real estate, and takes
a commendable interest in the welfare of the town
and its people. He is a member and clerk of the
Congregational Church of Barnstead and a member
of its ministerial committee. On Thanksgiving day,
December 7, 1865, at Pittsfield, New Hampshire,
Mr. Hanson niarried Jennie M. Hodgdon, who was
born April i, 1841, daughter of Timothy E. and
Mary E. (George) Hodgdon. Their children are:
Anna, who married Rev. James C. Emerson, both
dead; Alice E., who married Chapin Osgood and
removed to Aledford, Massachusetts; George, now
living at home, and Carroll A., a druggist of Med-
ford, Massachusetts.



The name Junkins which is probably
JUNKINS a corruption of Jenkins, is ancient
in those parts of Maine and New
Hampshire which lie adjacent to each other. It
is not improbable that all persons of this name in
those parts are descendants from one pair of an-
cestors.

(I) James Junkins lived in York, Maine, and
was born there probably. His wife Eleanor (Jun-
kins) was born in June, 1771, and died February
18, 1849, aged seventy-eight years, eight months, at
the home of her son in Wakefield.

(H) Rufus Junkins was born January 16, 1798,
probably in Maine, and died April 17, 1854, aged
fifty-six years, four months and one day, at Union,
New Hampshire, where for years he followed black-,
smithing. He married (first) Sally Hayes, who was
born April i, 1803, and died July 12, 1828. Two
children were born of this union : James H. and
Rufus A. He married (second) Temperance P.
Adams, and they had seven children : Sallie, who
married Charles Wentworth ; Elizabeth, wife of
Charles Nurte ; Ellen, who married H. P. Oilman ;
Edwin, Priscilla, George W., and George E., both
died young.

(Ill) James Hayes, eldest child of Rufus and
Sally (Hayes) Junkins, was born in Union, Febru-
ary 3, 1823, and died December 11, 1896. He fol-
lowed blacksmithing which he learned of his father,
and was a competent and respected citizen. He was
social and fraternal in disposition, and was for
many years a member of the Order of Free and
Accepted Masons. He married, October 23, 1853,
Sallie A. Wentworth, who was born in Wakefield,
May 27, 1829, and died IMay 20, 1903, daughter of
Albra and Rhoda (Cook) Wentworth, of Wake-
field. (See Wentworth, VI.) They had three
children: Clarence E., the subject of the next
paragraph ; Rufus Albra, born March 30, 185S, for
twenty-eight years past with the Simonds Manu-



facturing Company of Chicago, who married, June
24, 1882, Mary A. Stickney, of Ackworth, and has
one child, Roger Wentworth ; and Arthi E. Edna,
April I, 1864, who married Moses G. Chamberlain,
of Milton.

(IV) Clarence Elmer, eldest child of James H.
and Sally Aroline (Wentworth) Junkins, was born
in Union, October 10, 1855. He attended the com-
mon schools until about sixteen years of age, and
then apprenticed himself to Benjamin Edgerly, of
Union, for whom he worked three years, learning
the tinner's trade. He then worked at his trade in
Dover a year. Following that he was in the employ
of the Simonds Manufacturing Company of Fitch-
burg, Massachusetts, fifteen years. At the end of
that time he settled in Rochester, New Hampshire,
and bought a half interest in the stove, tinware and
plumbing business of L. G. Cooper, the two form-
ing the firm of Cooper & Junkins, and carrying on
the business until January, 1904, when Mr. Junkins
bought his partner's interest, and has since carried
on the business alone. He is a respected member
of Mt. Roulstone Lodge, No. 98, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows of Fitchburg. He married, in New
Sharon, Maine, September 19, 1888, Nellie P.
Tucker, who was born in Waldoborough, Maine,.
January 17, 1858, daughter of Daniel S. and Mercy
S. (Howes) Tucker.



Circumstances indicate that this
JUNKINS branch of the Junkins family is de-
scended from Robert Jenkins or
Junkins, who was at Dover, New Hampshire, in
1657, and at York. Maine, in 1674, and after.

(I) David Junkins was born in February 21,
1776, and died in York. Maine, December 3, 1855,
aged nearly eighty. He married, November 12,.
1801, Abigail Junkins, who died in York, June 25.
1853. They had seven children : Nathan, David,
James. Salome, Hosea, Abigail and James.

(II) David Junkins (2), second son and child of
David (i) and Abigail (Junkins) Junkins, was
born in York, Maine, December 9, 1804, and died
in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, March 22, 1889,
aged eighty-four. At the early age of seventeen
he came to Portsmouth and was apprenticed to his
uncle, Isaac Junkins, who was at that time fore-
man ship carpenter at the navy yard. After serv-
ing his time he went to work for Jacob Remick, who
had a ship yard on the site now occupied by Call's
lumber yard. The following year he went to Dur-
ham and worked on a ship built by Joseph Coe. In
the year 1828 he commenced work for George
Raynes, w-orking on the brig "Planet," and in the
following year he got out the timber for the ship
"Joseph and Mary" built at Kittery by Thomas
Cottle. In 1830 he returned to the employ of Mr.
Raynes and worked for him until the suspension
of work at that yard. Among the vessels built
durins: his emplovment there were the ships : "Alex-
ander/' Nestor," "Harriet and Jesse." "Pontiff Rock-
ingham, Portsmouth," Susanna Gumming," "Hin-
doo," "Isaac Newton," "John Gumming Henry,"
"Nicholas Biddle," "Charles Isaac Allenton," and
"Witch of the Waves," beside numerous small
craft. The apprentices were placed in his ^care for
instruction, and he was by them familiarly called
"Uncle David," a name he was known by until his
decease. After the suspension of work at the Raynes
yard he worked at the navy yard and for Tobey &
Littlefield, William Fernald, Daniel Marcy and other
well known ship builders. He was one of the old-
est members of Piscataqua Lodge, No. 6, Independ-



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1827



ent Order of Odd Fellows, and also a member of
the Associated Mechanics' and ^lanufacturers' Asso-
ciation.

He married in Portsmouth, February g, 1832,
Betsey Pearson, born in Newburyport, Massachus-
etts, December 31, 1810, and died June 30, 1901. in
her ninet3 - first year. Her parents were Abncr and
Betsey (Woodwell) Pearson. Her grandfather (a
pensioner of the Revolution) helped build the his-
toric frigate "Constitution" at the Boston yard in
1797. Children of David and Betsey B. Junkins
were: Mary E. W., born August 25, 1832; ^Mary
Abbie, born June 17,1834. died August 10.1894 ; George
Jam.es, born IMarch 21, 1836, died June 9, 1836;
Orren Clark, born July 24. 1837, died February, 17,
1892; James Augustus, born August 5, 1839, died
October 15, 1S70: Almira Dennett, born September
24. 1841, died March 13. 1862 ; George Pearson,
born November 5, 1843 ; Emma Frances, born Oc-
tober II. 1845; William Wallace, bom December 5,
1847 ; Horace, born September 20, 1849, died Sep-
tember 29. 1850; Albert Rand, born September 7,
1852; David Edwin, born July 28. 1854; Ann Mar\-,
born September 5, 1857, died November 23, 1857.
(Albert R. and descendants receive mention in this
article.)

(HI) W'illiam Wallace Junkins, eighth child
and fourth son of David and Betsey (Pearson)
Junkins, was born in Portsmouth, December 5, 1847,
and educated in the common schools of that city.
He learned the joiner's trade of Nathan Tarlton, of
Portsmouth, continuing with him about two and
one-half years, and then went to Jamaica Plains,
Massachusetts, and worked for Prindle & Heath,
contractors and builders, for a year. He was after-
ward employed on Long Island, Boston Harbor,
and Somerville, being employed at the latter place
seventeen years. Then, after a stay of a j'ear in
Charlestown, he returned to Portsmouth and was
in the employ of William A. Hodgdon seventeen
years, and Anderson & Junkins two years. In pol-
itics Mr. Junkins is a Republican. He is a member
of Carpenters' and Joiners' Union, No. 921, of Forts-
mouth, also of Howard Lodge. No. 22. of Charles-
town, Massachusetts, Somerville Encampment, No.
48, and is past commander of Canton Senter, of
Portsmouth ; a member of the Golden Eagles, No.
4, Alpha Council of the Ro3-al Arcanum of Ports-
mouth, and Union Rebekah Lodge, No. 3.

He married, June 26, 1895, at Portsmouth, Em-
ma Florence Manent, born in Portsmouth, Decem-
ber 25, 1861, daughter of Charles and Eliza (Pit-
man) Manent. They have one child, Ruth L..
born June 20, 1904, in Portsmouth.

(Ill) Albert Rand Junkins. eleventh child and
seventh son of David and Betsey (Pearson) Jun-
kins, was born in Portsmouth, September 7, 1852.
After acquiring a common school education, he
learned the carpenter's trade as an apprentice to
Thomas J. Spinney, in whose employ he remained
eight years. In July. 1877, Mr. Junkins and Albert
C. Anderson formed a partnership imder the firm
name of Anderson & Junkins. contractors and build-
ders, which continued through twenty-nine years of
successful business, until the death of Mr. Ander-
son, July 3, 1906, and during that time they erected
many well known buildings, among which are the
residences of John Sise, H. Fisher Eldredge, !Mor-
ris C. Foye, G. Ralph Laighton, Gustave Peyser,
and many others, also Rockingham county jail.

Mr. Junkins is a Republican, and was for three
years a member of the city council of Portsmouth,
and was president of that body two years. He was
iv— 37



also alderman two years. In ^larch, 1907, he was
elected chairman of the board of assessors for the
term of six years. He is a prominent member of the
Court Street Christian Church, of which he is
warden, and for thirty years has been superintend-
ent of its Sunday-school. For many years he has
been a trustee of the Howard Benevolent Society.
He has seen twenty years service as a member of
the Portsmouth fire department, and is a past cap-
tain of the steamer Colonel Sise, No. 2. He is a
member of the Mechanics' Fire Society, organized in
1S12. In Masonic and Odd Fellow organizations
Air. Junkins is particularly prominent. He is a
member of Piscataqua Lodge, No. 6, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows; Strawberry Bank Encamp-
ment, No. 5; Canton Senter and Union Rebekah
Lodge, No. 3, in all of which he has passed the
cliairs. He is a past grand patriarch of the Grand
Encampment, and a past grand representative.
He is a past master in all these lodges. He is a
member of St. Johns Lodge, No. i, Free and Accept-
ed ]\Iasons; Washington Royal Arch Chapter, No.
3: Davenport Council. No. 5, Royal and Select
blasters; DeWitt Clinton Commander}', Knights
Templar, of Portsmouth; Edward A. Raymond
consistory, thirty-second degree, of the Sublime
Princes of the Royal Secret, of Nashua; is past
district deputy grand master; officer of the Council
of High Priesthood; grand conductor of the Grand
Council of Royal and Select Masters; member of
the Grand Commandery of New Hampshire; thrice
potent master in the Ineffable Grand Lodge of Per-
fection; senior warden in the Grand Council of the
Princes of Jerusalem; member of New Hampshire
Rose Croix Chapter: and the Council of Delibera-
tion of New Hampshire; also of Aleppo Temple of
the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mys-
tic Shrine (of Boston) ; and the New Hampshire
Veterans' Masons' Association.

He married, October 13, 1875, Flora E. Anderson,
born ^lay 29. 1853, daughter of Andrew and Betsy
J. Anderson, of Portsmouth.

The Junkins homestead at No. 12 Deer street,
is one of the oldest houses in the city. A block of
marble is inserted in the chimney bearing the date
1705. This house was built by John Newmarch,
whose wife was a sister of Sir William Pepperrell.



But little is known of the early his-
LOUGEE tory and character of this family. The

emigrant coming to this country about
1685 was an in'nabitant of the Isle of Jersey, Eng-
land. The famil}-, however, seems to have pos-
sessed a sterling military spirit and a noble patriot-
ism which led certain of its members in the coun-
try's emergency to spring to arms and battle val-
iantly for its protection. Some of them certainly
have been eminent for their high christian character
and salutary influence. The name is probably of
French origin, and is not widely spread in this
countr,v, though numerous in certain localities. More
than the usual proportion of descendants had fam-
ilies of uncommon size.

(I) Jolm Lougee was born 1700 in the Isle of
Jersey and came to this country at the age of eight-
een. In 1710 he served in a scouting party in pur-
suit of savages, under Captain Gilman. He was cap-
tured by the Indians, but made his escape. He ,was
by trade a knitter, and he settled in Exeter, 5l"ew
Hampshire, where he died at the age of seventy-sev-
en years. He married Mary Gilman, daughter of
IMoses Gilman, of Newmarket. They had eight
children: John, Joseph, Moses, Edmund, Gilman



i828



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



(mention of Gilman and descendants forms part of
this article), Shuah, Anna and Joanna.

(II) John (2), eldest child of John and Mary
(Gilman) Lougec, was born in Exeter. He 'married
(first) Molly Leavitt, by whom he had Sarah, John,
Nehemiah, Jesse. Molly, Jonathan, Elsey and Wil-
liam; married (second) Susan Hull, by whom he
had Henry. Shuah, Benjamin, Susan, Emerson and
Sarah; married (third) Mrs. Judith Beal.

(III) Nehmiah, second son and third child of
John and Molly (Leavitt) Lougee. was born in Ex-
eter, and married Mary Marsh by whom he had
seven children as follows: Nehemiah, Lucj', Nancy,
Isaac, John, Dudley and Betsey.

(IV) John (3), third son and fifth child of Ne-
hemiah and Mary (Marsh) Lougee. was born in
Exeter, January 17, 1771. He was a soldier in the
War of 181^, and was wounded. He learned the
hatter's trade and wroi-.ght at it in his early days,
bi.^t in later life became an invalid as the result of
his wounds. He /narried, April i, 1801, Betsey,
daughter of Joseph Marsh. She was born in Gil-
manton, October 23, 17S1, and died July 14, 1867.
Her father was born in Exeter. December, 1754.
He was a .loldier in the Revolution serving in Cap-
tain Philip Tilton's company. Colonel Enoch Poor's
regiment, from May 26, 1775, two months and eleven
days. He also^ enlisted in Captain John Nesmith's
company raised for Canada, was mustered in July
II. 1776, and marched July 22. Later he enlisted in
Captain Frye's company, Colonel Matthew Thorn-
ton's regiment, and was mustered in February, 1777.
He afterwards resided in Exeter till 1788, when he
removed to Gilmanton Iron Works, where he lived
till his death, March 17, 1839. He was an honest and
exemplary christian man. His children were :
Betsey, who married John Lougee, Olive, who mar-
ried a Thurston, Joseph, Caleb and Amos, born July
4. 1799, who lived the longest of any in the village.
Like his father he followed the trade of black-
.>mith. Politically he was a staunch Republican,
and represented his town in the legislature in 1854
rmd 1855. He united with the Congregational
Church in 1838. The children of John and Betsey
(Marsh) Lougee were: Leavitt, born in 1801 :
Olive, who married Timothy Barnard in the west;

1^ Eliza, who married Frank Martin,, John ; Joseph,
born in 1808, died young ; Charles, born in 1810,
married Mary Ross ; Hazen, who married a Pack-
ard ; Jacob Moody, born in 1820, died when a young
man; Merrill, born in 1825, who married Susan
Wheeler, and Joseph, born in 1826, married Mary
Ann Sargent.

(V) John (4), second son and fourth child of
John and Betsey (Marsh) Lougee, was born Octo-
ber 10, 1806. He married, January 5, 1831, Rebec-
ca Edgcrly, daughter of David Edgerly. Their chil-
dren were : George, who died young : Laura, who
married Charles H. Thompson ; Julia A., who mar-
ried Horace Edgerly; George, who died young;
Clara and Emma, both of whom died young.

(VI) Julia A., second daughter and third child of
John and Rebecca (Edgerly) Lougee, was born in
Gilmanton. She married Horace Edgerly, of Gil-
manton, (see Edgcrly, VII), by whom she had
Albert Clark, born May 18, 1872, and Annie M..
born May 4, 1874.

(II) Gilman, fifth son and child of John and
Mai*y (Gilman) Lougee, if the order is correct, was
born February 3, 1729, probably at Exeter. New
Hampshire. In March, 1763, he moved to Gilman-
ton. this state, where he reared a family of four-
teen children. Gilman Lougee married Susanna
Mudgett, born March 5. 1737, and they had: Gil-



man, Samuel. John. Susanna, Jonathan, Susanna,
Simeon, Anna. Betty, Levi, Joseph, Levi, Molly and
Lydia. Gilman Lougee died June 28, 181 1, and his
wife died January 4, 181 1. The three eldest sons
settled in Parsonfield, Maine.

(III) Samuel, second son and child of Gilman
and Susanna (]\Iudgett) Lougee, was born about
1760, perhaps in Exeter, New Hampshire. With his
two brothers, Gilman and John, he moved to Par-
sonfield, Maine, in June, 1778, and built a log house
at the foot of Mudgett's hill. Samuel Lougee was
the first settler of East Parsonfield where he moved
with his wife in 1780. He married Sarah Rand.
and had three children, Taylor, whose sketch fol-
lows. Annie and Betsey.

(IV) Taylor, son of Gilman and Sarah (Rand^
Lcugee, v.-as born at Parsonfield, Maine, January 3,
1784. For man}^ years he was well known as a hotel
proprietor there. In 1840 he removed to Effingham



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 83 of 149)