Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 89 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 89 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1749, when he removed to Halifax, Nova Scotia,
where his wife and the second of their children died.
He afterward returned to Kittery. lived several
more years in that town, and in 1765 moved with
his second wife and family to the town of Goshen,
New Hampshire. He was one of the pioneers of
the town and one of its foremost citizens until the
time of his death. May 14, 1806. He married, first,
February 6, 1745, Jane Fernald, who died January
20, 1750, and married, second. May 3, 1752, Alice
Fernald, a sister of his first wife, and who died July
5, 1804. She was born February 21, 1725-26. The
children of Samuel Gunnison were Susanna, who
married Edm.und Wilson; Joseph; Margaret, who
married Joseph Chandler, of Goshen ; Samuel ;
Ephraim, who died in infancy; Daniel; Ephraim
and Nathaniel, twins, and Alice.

(V) Ephraim Gunnison, son of Samuel and
Alice (Fernald) Gunnison, was born in Goshen,
New Hampshire, July 16, 1766, and with his twin
brother Nathaniel was the first of his surname to be
born in that town. He was a farmer by occupation,
a thorough, practical, hard-working farmer, and by
his energy and thrift acquired a fair competency for
his time. He lived to attain the full age of eighty-
five years and for many years was a consistent mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics
he was a Democrat. Ephraim Gunnison died June,
1851. His wife, whom he married August 6, 1787,
was Deborah Freeman, born January 24, 1764, died
April, 1853. They had seven children: Eunice, who
married Ebenezer Batchelder ; Deborah, who mar-
ried Abner Colby; Lucy, who married James Os-
good ; Lois, who married John Stephens ; Vinal,
who married Eliza Baker and had eight children;
Ebenezer ; and Margaret, who became the wife of
David Hastings.

(VI) Vinal. fifth child and elder son of
Ephraim and Deborah (Freeman) Gunnison, was
born in Goshen, New Hampshire, March 31. 1798,
and died 1858. Like his father he was a farmer,
thrifty and provident, but in politics he affiliated
with the Whig party, whereas his father always was
a staunch Democrat. He was chosen to fill various,
town offices, among the more important of which
was that of selectman and also overseer of the poor.
His farm lands included six hundred acres and his
farm was one of the best in the town. He married,
December 27, 1821, Eliza Baker, of Goshen, who
survived him fifteen years and died in 1873, at the
age of seventy-two years. They had eight children :
John (died young), Arvin Nye, Miriam Weston.
Sarah Ann (now Mrs. Brickett, of Mendota, Illi-
nois), Eliza B. (Mrs. Chandler, of Salem, Oregon),
John Vinal (ex-high sheriff of Sullivan county),
Amos B. (dead), and Horace B. (of Phillipsville,
California). (John Vinal receives extended men-
tion in this article).

(VII) Arvin, second son and child of Vinal and
Eliza (Baker) Gunnison, was born June i, 1824. in
Goshen. When about nineteen years of age, he
went south and taught school for some years in
Georgia. Subsequently he settled in New Orleans,
engaged in the manufacture of cotton gins. After
the outbreak of the Civil war, he manufactured arms
for the Confederate armies until New Orleans was
:aptured. At the close of the war he bought a
plantation of four hundred acres in Bolivar county,
Mississippi, on which has since grown up the pres-
ent town of Gunnison, named in honor of this
family. He resided on this plantation until his



death in JNIarch, 1882. He married, December 13,.
1859, Sarah H. Putnam, who was born in Milford,
New Hampshire. November 2, 1839. She is a
daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Hale) Putnam,,
of Milford. Five children were born of this mar-
riage: Samuel, Putnam, Arvin, William T., of
whom later; John T., who conducts- a typewriters'
exchange in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The others-
are deceased.

(VIII) William Towne, fourth son and child
of Arvin and Sarah H. (Putnam) Gunnison, was
born in Greenville, Bolivar county, Mississippi, Sep-
tember 22, 1869. He prepared for college at Exeter
Academy, and entered Dartmouth College in 1888.
graduating with the class of 1892. Subsequeritly he
entered Harvard Law School, and in 1895 received,
the degree of Bachelor of Law. Immediately after-
ward he opened an office in Rochester, New Hamp-
shire, where he has since resided, and now has a
large clientage and a good business. In politics he
is a Republican. In 1903 he sat in the constitutional
convention as representative of Rochester. In the
year 1889 he married Grace M., daughter of William
and MaYy A. (Colby) Horney, of Rochester, New
Hampshire. They have two children : Arvin. born
March 18, 1900; John V., born November 18," 1902.
(VII) John Vinal. sixth in order of birth of
the sons and daughters of Vinal and Eliza (Bftker)
Gunnison, is a native of Goshen, New Hampshire,
born February 27, 1837, and is known throughout
Sullivan county as a straightforward business man
and a competent public official. He was brought up-
on his father's farm, the same old farm which his
great-grandfather cleared and brought under culti-
vation almost one hundred and fifty years ago, and
which he now owns, although for nearly twenty
years he has lived in Newport and engaged in other
pursuits than farming. As a boy Mr. Gunnison at-
tended the public school in Goshen and afterward
was given a good academic education in Meriden
and New London. New Hampshire. After leaving
school he returned home and engaged in lumbering,
farming, dealing in stock and at one time operated
a saw mill. In 1888 he took up his residence in
Newport and carried on business operations in var-
ious directions. In 1892 he was elected high sheriff
of Sullivan county, and was re-elected to that office
from year to year until having reached the age limit,
seventy, he was no longer eligible. For more than
thirty years he has been a prominent figure in Sulli-
van county and New Hampshire state politics, and
always on the Republican side. In 1872-73-74 he
was county commissioner, and in 1885 represented
his town in the general court. He holds member-
ship in various subordinate Masonic bodies and is a
Knight Templar.

On January 16, 1867, John Vinal Gunnison mar-
ried Angle Carr, born in Hillsborough, New Hamp-
shire. September 12, 1846,' daughter of Robert and
Claora (Goodale) Carr, and granddaughter of
Robert Carr, who was an early settler in Hills-
borough, and one of the foremost men of that town-
in his time. Four children have been born to Mr.
and Mrs. Gunnison. Their eldest daughter, Belle
G. Gunnison, born in Goshen. December 30, 1S68,
was educated in the schools of that town and New-
port, and afterward for a time was a teacher. Later
on she Avas appointed to a position in the Newport
postofficc : she married. May 8, 1902, William H.
Nourse. Their second child, Sadie H. Gunnison,
was born in Goshen. June 9, 1870. She graduated
from Newport High School, afterward taught school'
three years and then received an appointment as
manager of the Newport telephone exchange. Their




JOHN V. GUNNISON.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1847



third daughter, Claora A. Gunnison, was born in
■Goshen, December 20, 1S73, and was educated in the
public schools of that town and Newport and the
Bradford Female Seminary at Bradford, [Nlassachu-
setts. She also became a teacher in the public
schools and later w^as made assistant in Newport
high school. She married, June 28, 1898, Rev.
5heridan Watson Bell, a minister of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, whose home was Xenia. Ohio.
Their children are: Corinne Gunnison, Alice Vir-
ginia, Clara Elizabeth. Alice M., fourth child of
John V. and Angle (Carr) Gunnison, was born in
■Goshen, April il, 1877, and died May 30, 1895,
while a student in Newport high school.



The ancestor of the Kittredge
KITTREDGE family of this article was a pio-
neer settler of Billerica, ]\Iassa-
chusetts, in 1660. The family was prolific, and now
its members are foun.-l in nearly all parts of the
United States. Many of the name, to the present
time, have been physicians, some of them becoming
prominent, and are particularly well known in New
England.

""(I) John Kittredge was a seaman (bone
setter) ; was forced to leave England because of
practicing his profession, which w^as contrary to
law. He received a grant of five acres of land in
the town of Billerica, Massachusetts, September 25,
1660. John Parker is called "his Master." His
house lot was "Ten acres of land on ye south-east
of bare hill." He had "also four acres of meadow
all which is bounded with Shawshin road, east."
In July, 1663, the town "granted more to him. that
instead of tenne poles of land, which he should
have had upon ye township (by willm pattin's house-
lot) to set a shop upon that he now shall have it
added to his house-lot upon the south of it." His
first grant within that part of Billerica which was
afterward Tewksbury, where his descendants were
located, was in December. 1661, "sixty and four
acres, lying on ye east side of ailwife brook, and
•upon ye south side ye highway as you go to globe
hill." This home lot of John Kittredge was a mile
sovith-east of the village, and the other grant, _be-
3-ond Pattenville, near the Shawshin. He married,
November 2, 1664, Mary Littlefield, who was born
December 14. 1646, probably the daughter of Francis
Littlefield, of Woburn. Ralph Hill calls her grand-
daughter in his will. The children of this marriage
were: John, James. Daniel, Jonathan, and Benoni.
John Kittredge died October 18, 1676. and his widow
married John French.

(H) John (2). eldest child of John (i) Kitt-
redee and Mary (Littlefield) Kittredge, was born in
Billerica, January 24. 1666. The record states that
^'Doct. John Kittredge dyed" April 27, 1714. He
■married, August 3, 1685, Hannah French, born Jan-
tiary 20. 1664. daughter of John and Hannah (Bur-
ridge) French, of Billerica. She died October 9,
1745, aged eight-one. Their children were : John,
James. Hannah (died young), Jacob, Hannah,
Joseph, Jonathan, William, Abigail, Jane, Marah,
and Francis. Jonathan was killed by the Indians
in Lovewell's fight at Pigwaket, in 1725.

(Ill) Francis, youngest child of John (2) and
Hannah (French) Kittredge, was born in Billerica.
October 27, 1706. His first wife Lydia died August
I, 1736; and he married, before 1740, Susanna Snow.
She married, second, a Phelps, of Andover. and
third, Thomas Kidder. The thirteen children of
Francis Kittredge were : Francis, Josiah, Zephaniah,
Lydia, Solomon, Reuben (died young), Jessoniah,



Susanna (died young), Susannah, Rebecca, Reuben,
Josiah. and Abial.

(IV) Solomon, fourth son and fifth child of
Francis and Lydia Kittredge, was born in Billerica,
Massachusetts, June 9, 1736; and died in Amherst,
New Hampshire, August 24, 1792. About 1766, he
removed to that part of Amherst, New Hampshire,
now called Mont Vernon. He was a blacksmith,
and a man of considerable prominence in the North-
west parish. He was selectman in 1777. and one of
a committee of three to procure soldiers for the
Continental army. He was an influential cbvirch
member, and an independent thinker. He married.
Ma- 14, 1755, Tabitha Ingalls, of Andover, who
died May 8, 1794, aged fifty-nine years. They had
twelve children, and their grandchildren were very
numerous. Their children were : Solomon, Zeph-
aniah, Tabitha. Josiah. Phebe, Stephen, Lydia, In-
galls. 'Betsey, Peter, Asa, and Sally.

(V) Solomon (2), eldest child of Solomon (i)
and Tabitha (Ingalls) Kittredge, was born in
Billerica, Massachusetts, in 1755, and died in Mont
Vernon, New Hampshire, October 22, 1845, aged
ninety. He removed with his father to Amherst in
1766, and at the age of twenty enlisted in the Con-
tineirtal army. He was a member of Captain Cros-
Ijy's company, of Colonel Reed's regiment, and was
present at the battle of Bunker Hill; and in 1777
was a private in Captain Bradford's company of
Colonel Moses Nichol's regiment at the battle of
Bennington. He was taken prisoner by the British
and Indians at the "Cedars" in Canada, May 19,

1776. and shamefully treated. His clothing was
mostly taken from him, but he managed to escape
and reached his home in a destitute condition, hav-
ing neither hat, coat nor shoes. He was a patriotic
citizen and a brave soldier. He married, first, in

1777, Anna Kittredge; he married, second, April 13,
1815, Betsey Holt. The children, all by the first
wife! were:' Solomon, Anna, Susan, Thomas, Josiah,
Jeremiah, Harriet, Hezekiah, Zephaniah, Lucy and
Betsv.

(VI) Deacon Josiah. fifth child and third son
of Solomon (2) and Anna (Kittredge) Kittredge,
was born in Mont Vernon, 1787, and died in Mont
Vernon, 1836. He married first. December 27. 1812,
Hannah Mace; he married second, Nancy Cochran.
She died 1829, and he married, third, September i,
1810. Relief Bachelder. He had nine children born
to" him : Hannah, Mary Ann. Franklin F., Ingalls,
Lrizabeth. Charles (died young), Charles A., Nancy,
and Harriet.

(VII) Charles Alfred, eighth child and fourth
son of Deacon Josiah and Nancy (Cochran) Kitt-
redge, was born in IMcnt Vernon, August 24, 1829,
and' died in Nashua, December 31, 1898. His mother
died when he was about six months old, and his
father when he was six years old. Left an orphan,
he was bound out to his uncle Fletcher, of Amherst.
This uncle was a strict and stern man. and the boy
found his lot an unhappy one. Winter nights he
counted the stars through an opening in the roof of
the room w^here he slept, and in the morning on
waking he often found his bed covered with snow.
At the age of fourteen he exercised his legal right
to choose a guardian, and selected Captain Timothy
Kittredge, of Mont Vernon, with whom he lived
several years. He went to Lowell, Massachusetts,
and worked for a baker, and on the outbreak of the
great excitement over the discovery of gold in Cali-
fornia he prepared to go there. In 1850 he went
from New York to the Isthmus of Panama by
steamer, crossed to the Pacific side on foot, and



1848



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



there took a boat for San Francisco. The ship ran
short of water and was compelled to put into the
Sandwich Islands for a supply. There Mr. Kitt-
redge met his relative, Airs. Stearns, daughter of
Timothy Kittrcdge, who with her husband, were the
first missionaries to the island. After arriving at
San Francisco, Mr. Kittredge worked for a car-
penter, and later 'was a cook in mining camps. In
1853 he returned and settled in Concord, New Hamp-
shire, where he engaged in the grocery business with
John Nichols. In 1864 he removed to Mont Vernon,
where he carried on a meat and provision business
until 1867, when he engaged in the same business at
Mil ford. In 1872 he went to Nashua and engaged
in the same business, carrying it on for sixteen
years, and then retiring on account of ill health.
He was a stanch Republican, and active in the coun-
cils of his party, both state and local. May 15,
1853, he was married, in the First Baptist Church
of Lowell, Massachusetts, to Maria E. Chase, who
w-as born in Lowell, 1829, daughter of John Chase,
who was a captain in the War of .1812, and also in
the Florida war. She died November, 1899. Four
children were born of this union : Charles W. (died
in infancy), Adelaide M., Frank E.., and Frederick
L., both further mentioned below.

(VIII) Dr. Frank Everett Kittredge, third
child and second son of Charles A. and Maria E.
(Chase) Kittredge, was born in Concord, New
Hampshire, May 8, 1862, and was educated in the
common schools of Nashua. In 1882 he matriculated
at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was
graduated from the medical department with the
class of 1885. He at once began practice at Center
Harbor, New Hampshire, where he remained until
1889, when he moved to Nashua, where he now has
a large and successful business, and makes a spe-
cialty of treatment of diseases of the nose, throat,
and ear. He is a member of the following named
organizations : The American Medical Association ;
the New Hampshire and Nashua Medical societies,
the New England Otological Society, and the New
Hampshire Surgical Club. He was one of the early
presidents of the Nashua Medical Society. In Masonry
he has attained the thirty-second degree. He is also
a member of Penachuck Lodge, No. 44, Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows. For many years he has
been an attendant at the Congregational Church.

He married, in Nashua, December 21, 1887, Mary
Lizzie Combs, who was born in Nashua, November
I, 1S65, daughter of James B. and Mary Jane (Don-
ovan) Combs, and granddaughter of David Combs,
one of the earliest settlers of that part of Dunstable
which later became Nashua, at one time being the
owner of nearly all the land which constitutes what
is now the south part of the city of Nashua. They
have -one child, Helen C, born November 10, 1898.

(VIII) Frederick Lincoln Kittredge, youngest
son of Charles A. and Maria E. (Chase) Kittredge,
was born in Mont Vernon, January 18, 1865. He
accompanied his parents on their removal to Mil-
ford, and afterward to Nashua. His education was
obtained in the public schools in Nashua, where he
prepared for business life. In September. 1884,
when nineteen years of age. he went to Denton,
Texas, where he was employed two years in the
First National Bank. Returning to New Hamp-
shire, he remained a short time, and then went back
to Texas and went into the mercantile business.
After tarrying there a year he then settled in
Rochester, New York, where he engaged in pre-
paring and putting up medicine in cases for family
use. This business he carried on successfully for
three years. In December, 1904, he became a mem-



ber of The Stationery Supply Company of Rochester,
New York, dealers in papers and typewriter sup-
plies, with which he has since been connected. He
is an energetic and reliable business man, and a re-
spected member of the Brick Presbyterian Church.
He is a member of Valley Lodge, No. 109, Ancient
Free and Accepted Masons; Hamilton Chapter, No.
62, Royal Arch Masons, and Monroe Commandery,.
Knights Templar, No.' 12, of Rochester. He mar-
ried, October 24, 1894, Marion Niven, .born in Roch-
ester. March 26, 1868, daughter of James M. and
Mary (Robinson) Niven, of Rochester, New York.
She is a member of the Brick Presbyterian Church,
and Monroe Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star,
in both of which organizations she takes an active-
part.



One of the families of New England
EVERETT who is distinguished for the quality

of its members is that of the Ever-
etts. ■ A high moral tone and intellectual qualities
above mediocrity have graced many of the names,
and two scions of this ancient lineage — Edward
Everett and Edward Everett Hale — rank among the
first citizens of the Republic.

(I) Richard Everett, the immigrant ancestor of
the family in America, came to New England as
early as 1636, although no definite information has
yet been obtained as to the time of his arrival, or
from what part of England he came. From the fact
that he was for several years in the employ of Wil-
liam Pynchon, that Pynchon himself was connected
by marriage with the Everard family of county Es-
sex, England, and that Richard was a very common
baptismal name in the same Everard family, it is
surmised that Richard Everett was born in county
Essex. Tradition says that Richard Everett hrst
settled in Watertown, Massachusetts, and the mem-
orandum of the deed shows that Richard Evered,
of Dedham, owned land in Cambridge. Hence, it
is inferred that he may have resided near the divid-
ing line between Cambridge and Watertown, and in
changing that line, his residence may have been
changed from one town to the other.

In the year 1636 he was with William Pynchon,
who led a party of settlers and their families to the
place called by the Indians, Agawam, near Spring-
field, Massachusetts. There he made his mark as
one of the white witnesses to the Indian deed, con-
veying the land to William Pynchon, Henr}^ Smith
and John Burr, July 15, 16,36. On August 18, 1636,
he attended at Watertown the first recorded meeting
of the new town, called by them "Contentment,"
but by the general court named Dbdham. In early
records his name was often spelled Euered. March
20, 1637, a town meeting at Springfield ordered John
Searl and Richard Everett to lay out twenty-four
acres of mowing marsh for Mr. Pynchon. The
records of the two towns of Springfield and Dedham
show that he frequently passed from one to the other,
and that he was a person of much importance in
each of them. The number of entries in the records
concerning him is so large as to preclude any enum-
eration of them. After 1643 he resided continuously
in Dedham. He and his wife were I'eceived into the
church in Dedham, March 6, 1646. May 6 of the
same year he was admitted freeman, and from that
time on served as a town officer, and on town com-
mittees, frequently called upon to lay out lots and
roads. The first tax found against him is for his
"countrey rate," in 1648, when his house was valued'
/at £4: 6 : ID, being the fifty-seventh in point of value,,
out of eighty ; and his tax was 3s., being the seventy-
eight out of ninety persons assessed. In 1660 his tax



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1849



was third in amount assessed, out of eighty-seven
names. January i, 1651, he was elected one of the three
surveyors and constable. In 1652 and 1653 he was
again' constable. In 1655 he was agam elected
survevor. January i, 1661, he was elected
selectman. In 1652 he served on a committee to lay
out the way between Dedham and Braintree. In
1659 he was one of a committee of three to act with
a similar committee from Dorchester to lay out the
highway between Dedham and Dorchester, and he
was also on a committee of eight to lay out two
thousand acres granted by the town to the Indians
at Natick. In 1664 he served on more land commit-
tees. . . .

In June, 1660, he was granted land adjommg
Neponset plain, and northward thereof, or if that
is already divided, at a place called "the twenty-acre
plain." In ^Nlarch the proprietors of Woolomonu-
pake (Wrentham) drew their lots. He drew lot No.
8, containing eleven and one-half acres. At a divi-
sion of land at Meadfield he drew lot No. 70, which
appears to have been in the present town of Norfolk.
In 1669 the town bought from Philip Sagamore, all
his rights in the lands within the town bounds, not
yet purchased, for £17:8, and the eighty town proprie-
tors were assessed this amount. Richard Everett's
share was6s9i/^d. In 1667 he collected from the town
20s for killing two wolves. Richard Everett died
July 3, 1682. He made his will ]May 12, 1680, and
it was proved July 25, 1682. His inventory amounted
to i2Tj: 15: II.' He married (first), :Mary, whose
surname is unknown; (second), in Springfield, June
29, 1643, Mary Winch. She came to_ .America froni
England at the age of fifteen, in the "Francis" of
Ipswich, April, 1638, with the family of Rowland
Stebbins. The children by the first wife were: John,
Israel (died young), Mary, Samuel, Sarah (died
young), and James; bv the second wife: Sarah, Abi-
gail, Israel, Ruth and Jedediah.

(II) Captain John, eldest child of Richard and
Mary (Winch) Everett, was baptized the fifteenth
day of the first month, 1646, in Dedham, Massachu-
setts, and died there June 17, 1715. His name ap-
pears first in the town records on the tax list of
1662. In 1668 and 1674 he received small grants of
land. He is named on a committee to run the line
between Dedham and Dorchester in 1 682-85 -86-gi-
94 and 97; and in 1684-85 on a committee to buy of
Josias, sachem, a right of land south of Neponset
river. In 1685 he and his brother Samuel paid 7s
8d for clearing the Indian title to their father's land.
He was one of the committee to lay out highways in
1685-86; survej'or of highways in 1704 and 1705,
and tithingman in 1700. He is first styled captain
in 1693 in the town records of Dedham. During
King William's war he was called into active ser-
vice to command a company of men stationed in
New Hampshire and Maine, to protect the inhabi-
tants from the Indians. After the massacre at Oyster
River (Dover), New Hampshire, in July, 1694,
Captain John Everett h^d command of a company
raised to assist in protecting the frontier from
further attack by the Indians. He was stationed at
Kittery, Maine. In the latter part of 1696 a petition
was presented to the iMassachusetts general court
by Samuel Wheelwright and others, of Wells, ]\Taine,
requesting that Captain Everett and his soldiers,
then stationed there, might help them rebuild their



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 89 of 149)