Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 93 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 93 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


from Ynir, the second son of Cadwaladr, King of



i860



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



Britons, which Cadwaladr built Abergaveny in the
•county of Monmouth and its castle, which was after-
wards rebuilt by ilamlet, ap Hamlet, ap Sir Druce,
of Balladon in France, and portions of the wall still
remain. (II) Calwalader the Great. (Ill) Idwallo.
(IV) Roderick Moelwynoc. (V) Conan Dyndoc-
thwy. (VI) Eisylht, Queen of Wales. (VII) Rod-
erick Mawr the Great. (VIII) Morgan Mawr.
(IX) Owen, King of Glanmorgan. (X) Ithel Dhu.
(XI) Gwrgant, King of Glenmorgan. (XII) Jestyn.
(XIII) Ynir. This Ynir, King of Gwentland, by
his wife Nesta, daughter of Jestyn, son of Gargan,
King of Glamorgan, had a son.

(XIV) Meirie, who succeeded his father as
King of Gwentland, and he left by his wife Eleanor,
daughter of Onired, son of Jerworth, of the house of
Trevor, a son

(XV) Ynir Vichan, who was also King of
Gwentland, and who married Gladise, daughter of
Rhys Goch, son of Maenerch, Lord of Astroydir,
Brecknockshire, by whom he had a son

(XVI) Caradoc, Lord of Gwent, whose wife
was Nesta, daughter and heir of Sir Rydereck le
Gros, Knight, by whom he had a son

(XVII) Dyfnwell, Lord of Gwent, who married
Joyes, daughter of Hamlet, son of Sir Druce, Duke
of Belladon, in P'rance. Her brother Hamlet rebuilt
the castle of Abergaveny, as before mentioned. Their
son

(XVIII) Systal, Lord of Upper Gwent, married
Anwest, daughter and heir of Sir Peter Russell,
Knight, Lord of Kentchurch in the county of Here-
ford, and by her had a son

(XIX) Arthur, married Jane, daughter of Lein,
son of Moreidhec Harrion, Lord of Cantisblyn.
Their son

(XX) Meirie, married Anwest, daughter of
Cradock, son of Einon, son of Golproyn. by whom
he had a son

(XXI) Gwillim, married Jane, daughter and co-
heir of Iver, son of Assylet, Lord of Ljho Taly-
bout, and had a son

(XXII) Arnholt, married Janet, daughter of
Philip Fleming, Esq., and had a son

(XXII I) Arnholt, married Sybil, daughter of
Madoc, son of Einon, son Thomas, by whom he ha J
a son.

(XXIV) Roger Arnold, of Llamthony, in Mon-
mouthshire, the first of the family who adopted
a surname. He married Joan, daughter of Sir
Thomas Gamage, Knight, Lord of Coytey or Coity,
and had two sons. Joan (Gamage) Arnold traces
her ancestry through Sir Willi:.m Gamage, Gilbert
de Gamage, Sarah de Tuberville, married Willia,m
<ie Gamage Lady .Wenthian Talbot married Sir
Payne de Tuberville. Lady Sarah de Beauchamp
married Richard VI, Baron of Talbot. William VI,
Baron de Beauchamp. Lady Isabelle de ]\Iaudwit
married William V, Earl D. Maudwit. Lady Alice
de Newbury married William VI, Earl de jNIaudwit.
Waleram iV, Earl Warwick. Lady Gunreda War-
ren married Roger de Belmont. William Gunreda
Warren II. William, Earl of Warren, married

■ Gunreda. William de Martel. Nicholas

de Barcharville de Clare. Baldrick Tewtonicus.
Vigerius. Charles, Duke of Loraine. Louis IV,
King of France. Edgar A. married Chales III, of
France. Edward the Elder. Alfred the Great.
King Ethel wolf. Matilda married William the
Conqueror. Adelis married Baldwing. Robert the
Wise. Huch Capet. Huch the treat. Robert the
Strong. Arnolph II. Baldwin III. Baldwin II
married Alph Alfritha. daughter of Alfred the
Great. Arnolph the Great married Alice, • great-



great-great-granddaughter of Charlemagne. Bald-
win I Married Judith. Charles the Bald, grandson
of Charlemagne.

(XXV) Thomas Arnold, married Agnes Wain-
stead, who bore him a son

(XXVI) Richard Arnold, married Emmace
Young, who bore him a son

(XXVII) Richard Arnold, married ,

who bore him a son

(XXVIII) Thomas Arnold, married twice and
by second wife had a son

(XXIX) Thomas Arnold, married Phebe Park-
hurst, who bore him a son

(XXX) Eleazer Arnold, married Eleanor Smith,
who bore him a son

(XXXI) Joseph Arnold, married Mercy Staf-
ford, who bore him a son

(XXXII) Samuel Arnold, married Elizabeth
, who bore him a daughter

(XXXIII) • Elizabeth Arnold, married Christo-
pher Brown, and her brother, Israel Arnold, married
Deborah Olney.

(XXXIV) Nabby Brown, married her cousin,
Israel Arnold II, son of Israel Arnold I.

(XXXV) Charlotte Brown Arnold, married
William Bibby, and their daughter, ]Maude Bell
Bibby, who is a member of the Daughters of the
Crown, and has her coat of arms, became the wife
of Samuel De Wolf Lewis, of Newport, New Hamp-
shire (see Lewis, IV).



The progenitor of the Jacobs family
JACOBS of Hingham, INIassachusetts, was Nich-
olas Jacobs, who came from Hing-
ham, England, and from the Jacobses of Hingham
have descended a great number of the name who are
now scattered to all part' of the United States.

N^icholas Jacobs was one of the very early
planters who settled in "Bare Cove," Hingham,
[Massachusetts, prior to the arrival of Rev. Peter
Hobart and his company in 1635. According to
Cushing's manuscript, "Nicholas Jacobs with his wife
and two children and their 'cosen' Thomas Lincoln,
weaver, came from old Hingham and settled in
this Hingham, 16^3." In September, 1635, he had
a grant of a house lot containing three acres.
Other lands were also granted to him at different
dates for planting purposes. He was made free-
man in 1636; was selectman in 1637; deputy to the
general court, 1648-49, and often engaged upon the
business of the town. He died June 5, 1657. He
made his will May 18, 1657, which was proved July
23 following. His estate was appraised at three hun-
dred ninety-three pounds eight shillings six pence.
The christian name of his wife was ^lary. She sur-
vived him and married (second), March 10. 1659,
John Beal, widower. The children of Nicholas and
Mary were : John, Elizabeth, Mary, Sarah, Hannah,
Josiah, Deborah and Joseph.

Justine, a descendant of Nicholas Jacobs, the im-
migrant, resided in Rhode Island, and died in
Windsor, in that state December 9, 18 — . He took
part in the revolution, and assisted in the capture
of a British vessel, and as his share of the prize
money distributed to the captors he received one
hundred and twenty thousand dollars. He married,
October 11. 181 1, Polly Sargent, who was born in
Windsor. Vermont, October 2, 1793. and died in
]\Iay, 1880, daughter of Moses and Sarah (Cram)
Sargent, of Weare. (See Sargent. VI.) They had
four children : Fernando C, Justine, Emilv and
IMary C.

Fernando C, oldest son and child of Justine
and Polly (Sargent) Jacobs, was born in Warren,




H. F. JACOBS.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



i86i



Vermont, January i6, 1813, and died in Stewarts-
town, . New Hampshire, August II, 1899, aged
seventy-six. When a lad he went with his uncle,
JNIoses Sargent, to Troy, New York, and lived with
him for several years, and then returned to Vermont
and learned the tanner's trade at New Haven. In
1835 he went to Albany, New York, and worked
at his trade there and in Troy two years. He then
resided and was employed three years in Colebrook,
New Hampshire, and two years in Stanstead, prov-
ince of Quebec, Canada, and then removed to
•Canaan, Vermont, where he enlarged his business,
erected a tannery, and carried on tanning and the
manufacture of shoes and harness for sixteen years.
He was successful in business and accumulated
property, and with his savings he established a resort
for tourists and hunters in the wild and delightful
region of the Upper Connecticut, w'here sportsmen
found rare game and fish, and the tourist pure air
and lovely scenery. In i860 he built the Connecticut
Lake House, on the shore of Connecticut Lake, in
the town of Pittsburg, Coos county, which formed
the terminus of a carriage drive of twenty-five miles
from Colebrook, and became headquarters for sports-
men and lumbermen. There he remained eleven
years, and then removed to Lancaster, where he
■spent the two following years farming ; then three
years as proprietor of the Brunswick Springs House;
and the next three years in the grocery trade in
Colebrook. In 1880 he located at Stewartstown Hol-
low, where he formed a partnership with Lucius
Parkhurst under the firm name of Parkhurst &
Jacobs, and conducted a general merchandise store
imtil he retired from active business.

Mr. Jacobs was an intelligent and well-informed
man, and as active in public affairs as he was in his
private business. In politics he was first a Whig and
then a Republican. From 1850 to i860 he was master
in chancery in Essex county, Vermont, and from
1857 to i860 notary public in the same county. He
was postmaster at Canaan four years ; deputy sheriff
four years; lister, and holder of other offices. During
the civil war he was a deputy provost marshal ; he rep-
resented Pittsburg in the legislature in 1865-66 ; was
-collector and selectman some years ; was postmaster
at Stewartstown six years; justice of the peace in
Pittsburg from 1861 to 1871, and of Stewartstown
from the time of his becoming a citizen of that town
iintil his death. In his later life he was as agile
and vigorous as a younger man, and retained his
-activity and strength until a short time before his
death.

He married (first), September 7, 1845, Julia A.
Cooper, who was born in Canaan. Vermont, October
21, 1821, and died in Canaan September 20,
1867, daughter of Judge Jesse and Sarah (Putnam)
•Cooper, of Canaan, Vermont, the latter a grand-
daughter of General Israel Putnam, of revolutionary
iame. Of this union were born five children: Alma
P.. Sarah C, Henry F., Charles J. and Julia Anna.
Alma P. married Captain H. S. Hilliard, of Lan-
caster; Sarah C. married Dr. David O. Rowell, of
Coos; Henry F. is the subject of the next paragraph ;
Charles J. was superintendent of the Baldwin bob-
bin mill at West Manchester, and died in 1896;
Julia Anna resides at Fall river. F. C. Jacobs mar-
ried (second), in Danvers, Massachusetts, Caroline

Putnam. For his third wife he married

Barnett.

Henry Fitz Jacobs, eldest son and third child,
of Fernando C. and Julia* A. (Cooper) Jacobs, was
"born in Canaan, Vermont, September 24, 1850, and
■was educated in the common schools. At the age of
fourteen years he entered the employ of C. D. Cobb,



of Boston, and F. E. Downer, where he was em-
ployed three years as a clerk. In 1872 he settled in
Colebrook, where he has since resided. From 1872
to 1892 he was engaged in the livery business. Since
1895 he has been a broker and speculator , in real
estate. In connection with this he was for twelve
years interested in a carriage manufactory and in
dealing in grain, and was extensively engaged in
farming, having charge of several large farms. He
is also active in the production of wood pulp. It
was through his instrumentality that fine concrete
sidewalks were laid in Colebrook, and it is to his
efforts that the village is indebted for the posession
of two stone watering troughs. The streets were
macadamized, so far as they have been done, while
he held the office of superintendent of streets. It
was through his endeavors that the streets were
lighted, he having purchased the first street-lamp
ever set in the village. He is an authority on fast
horses, has fitted and sold doz'ens under the mark'
of 2:30, including Clift'ord, 2:13, and now owns a
horse with a record of 2 :o5^.. He has been suc-
cessful in business, and is a director in the Colebrook
National Bank. In politics he is a Republican, and
for eight years he was deputy sheriff, and for more
than twenty years he has been justice of the peace.
He is a member of Excelsior Lodge, No. T},, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he is a
past grand; and also a member of Colebrook Grange,
No. 223, Patrons of Husbandry. ,He married, i\Iarch
20, 1878, at Colebrook, Florence G. Carlton, who was
born in Colebrook, February 5, 1859, daughter of
Calvin C. and Sarah (Watkins) Carlton, of Cole-
brook. Two children have been born of this mar-
riage : Fernando C, deceased, and Ida A., who is
a graduate of Tilton Seminary and resides with
her parents.

Mr. Jacobs is a cousin of Henry Dennison, who
is the legal adviser of the Mikado of Japan, and
whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work.



(I) James Law, son of Thomas and Abbie
LAW (Pike) Law, was born in Brookline, Mas-
sachusetts. He was educated in the com-
mon schools of Brookline. His trade was that of
a wool scourer; later he was a teamster in Lowell.
In politics he was a Democrat. He attended the
Universalist Church. He married Rebecca Jane
Holt. They had three children : John Kittredge,
George A., who is a conductor on the Concord &
Portsmouth railroad ; and Emily.

(II) Jolm, eldest of the three children of James
and Rebecca Jane (Holt) Law, was born in Frank-
lin. New Hampshire, August 12, 1836. He was
educated in the public schools of Lowell, Alassachu-
setts. After completing his education he went to work
in a cotton mill there. Later he was in the em-
ploy of the old Boston & Lowell railroad for a number
of years. In 1859 he came to New Hampshire, and
was in the shoe manufacturing business until 1862,
when on August 12 he enlisted in the Eleventh
New Hampshire Regiment, Company B, under Col-
onel Walter ■ Harriman. In a short time he was
promoted to sergeant, and was in line for higher pro-
motion when he was wounded at Fredericksburg.
He hoped to be able to enter the service again, but
could not; so he was discharged on January 19,
1864. Mr. Law prides himself on his patriotism.
He enlisted for the war just before his first son was
born.

After his discharge he came back to New Hamp-
shire and resumed the shoe business. In the late
sixties he went to work for the Howard & Quimb}'
Company, of Boston, installing woolen machinery.



1 862



NEW HAMPSHIRE



He was with them about four years, and covered
both the United States and Canada. He then went
to Norfolk, Massacliusetts, and was superintendent
of the carding and sewing department of the Elliot
Felting Company. This company afterwards es-
tablished a leather board factory at Webster, New
Hampshire, and he was made resident superinten-
dent of the branch ; but later the company changed
hands and he discontinued his work with them. Mr.
Law is a fine machinist, understanding all about mill
machinery, and he has refused many excellent po-
sitions. In 1876 he came to New London and bought
a two hundred and fifty acre farm. He has carried
on general farming, and was one of the first to
take summer boarders. His farm was considered
one of the best in the county, and has recently been
sold to a man from Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Law now
lives on another adjoining it. In politics he is a
Republican. He has been moderator for forty-five
years in succession. He has been constable many
times and chief of police, and is now holding those
offices. He has served on the board of selectmen
five terms, and for two terms was chairman. He has
been justice of the peace several years. In 1899
he represented the town in the state legislature, and
was sergeant-at-arms of the house of representa-
tives. He holds that commission still. He was
sergeant-at-arms of the constitutional convention in
1902.

Mr. Law is an Odd Fellow. He was made a
Mason in Lafayette Lodge of Manchester. He is
past master of King Solomon's Lodge of New Lon-
don, and a member of the council, chapter, Knights
Templar and Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. He is a member of the Grand Army
of the Republic, and was a delegate to the last
encampment at Denver, Colorado. He was a dele-
gate to the national convention, at Louisville, but
did not go. He attends the Episcopal Church.

John Kittredge Law married Mehitabel L.,
daughter of Ahijah and Maria Ring, of Deerfield,
New Hampshire, in October, 1858. They have two
children : John Walter Harriman, born September 9,
1862, and Fred Albert, born March 4, 1868. John W.
H. Law married Myra Andrews, of Warner, New
Hampshire, and they have one child, John W. John
W. H. Law is a rural mail carrier in New London.
Fred A. married Caroline G. Currier, daughter of
Herman and Susan Currier, of New Lon-
don; they have one child, Nina Ruth. Fred A.
Law is a mechanical engineer, and is at present at
Hartford. Connecticut, in the automobile business.
He was for nine years with thd Columbia Company.
He is an inventor, and has perfected many machines.



Gowing is a name not numerous either
GOWING in America or England. It may pos-
sibly be related to the Irish Gowan,
through the first American ancestor is said to have
come from Scotland. In this country the name is
especially associated with Lynnfield, Massachusetts,
where the family was prominent for generations.
Daniel Gowing is a name constantly recurring in
the history of that town, though the family is now
practically extinct there. During Revolutionary
times there was a noted tavern kept in Lynnfield by
Joseph Gowing. and the building is still standing
and occupied. In England the name appears among
the directors of the East India Company in 1805.
(I) Robert Gowing. the immigrant ancestor of
the family, was probably a native of Scotland and
was born in 1618. He came to Massachusetts in
1634, being then but sixteen years of age, and resided
in Dedham, Wenham and Lvnn. He was made a



freeman in 1644, in Dedham, having previously been
in Watertown, and lived in Wenham from 1640 to-
1660. After this his home was in what is now Lynn-
field. He was married October 3, 1644, to Elizabeth
Brock, and died June 7, 1698.

(II) John, son of Robert and Elizabeth (Brock)
Gowing, was born December 9, 1645, (Savage says
November 13) in Dedham, and lived through his
adult life in Lynn, where he died May 28, 1720. No
record of his marriage is found, but his wife's name
appears as Joanna, and their children, born from
1683 to 1704, were : Annis, John, Daniel, Thomas^
Elizabeth, Samuel, Joanna, Lois and Timothy.

(HI) Samuel, fourth son and sixth child of John
and Joanna Gowing, was born March 10, 1696, in
Lynn, and lived in that part of the town which is
now Lynnfield, where he died September 3, 1733.
He was undoubtedly a cultivator of the soil. He was-
married about the beginning of 1730 (intention pub-
lished December 21, 1729) to Patience Bancroft,
who was born July 14, 1708, daughter of Ebenezar
and Abigail Bancroft.

(IV) James, son of Samuel and Patience (Ban-
croft) Gowing, was born January 18, 1736, in Lynn-
field. He was an early settler in Jaffrey, New Hamp-
shire, removing thence from Lynn in 1777. He set-
tled on lot sixteen, in range two of that town on
land which is not now occupied. He was a man of
considerable prominence in Jaffery, holding the offices
of moderator, selectman and tythingman, and was re-
spected and esteemed. His death occurred very sud-
denly on June 6, 1805, when he fell and expired im-
mediately in the road near his house. He was mar-
ried, January 10, 1760, to Lydia Wellman, who was
born May 7, 1735, daughter of Jonathan and Esther
Wellman, said to be of Welsh descent, and died
January 4, 1826. They were the parents of twelve-
children : Lydia, Samuel, James, Benjamin, William,
Azeal, Levi, Rosanna, Simeon, Thirza, Joseph and
Esther.

(V) James (2). second son and third child of
James (i) and Lydia (Wellman) Gowing, was born
April '16, 1763, in Lynnfield, and settled in Dublin,.
New Hampshire. He was ■ twice married. His
first wife was Abigail, eldest of the seven children
of Moses and Elizabeth Greenwood, of Dublin. She
was born April 27, 1774. They had twelve children :
Anna, Elmira, Moses Greenwood (who is mentioned
below), Almerin, Harriet, Lyman, Betsey, James,
Jonathan, Abigail G., James and Harriet. Several
of these children died in infancy. Mrs. Abigail
(Greenwood) Gowing died January 10, 1817, and
James Gowing married Mrs. Lucy Wilder for his-
second wife. They had one child, James R.

(VI) Moses Greenwood, eldest son and third
child of James (2) and Abigail (Greenwood) Gow-
ing, was born June 27, 1797, at Dublin, New Hamp-
shire. He was a farmer and lived on the ancestral
homestead. He married Lucy, daughter of Samuel
Derby, of Dublin. They had three children : Maria
B., Lucy, who died in infancy; and Calvin Clark,,
whose sketch follows. Moses G. Gowing died Sep-
tember II, i860; his wife died October 13, 1884.

(VII) Calvin Clark, only son and youngest child
of Moses Greenwood and Lucy (Derby) Gowing,
was born August 14, 183 1. at Dublin, New Hamp-
shire. He attended the public schools of his native
town, and carried on farming. He was a Republi-
can in politics, and an attendant of the Unitarian
Church. He lived on the old Gowing homestead
till March 12, 1868, when he removed to Walpole,
New Hampshire, and bought the farm of twenty-twa
acres where his daughter now lives. This place is
located half a mile south of the town on the river



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



iS6 -



TOad. Calvin C. Cowing married Elmira M., daugh-
ter of Dr. Asa and Elmira (Sanderson) Heald, of
Dublin. Calvin C. Cowing died August 25, 1883.
at VValpole. His wife died January 27, 1867.

CVIII) Clara, daughter of Calvin C. and Elmira
M. (Heald) Cowing, was born March 28, 1864,
at Dublin, New Hampshire. She lives on the place
bought by her father in Walpole. Her house con-
tains many ancestral relics, among them the old
knapsack, bayonet and canteen belonging to her
great-grandfather, Moses Greenwood, which date
from Revolutionary days.

(I) Henry G. Farrington, son
FARRINGTON of Captain Philip Farrington,
was born in Fryeburg, Maine,
and was a carpenter and contractor. In 184S he re-
moved to ]\Ianchester, Ne-w Hampshire, where he
lived the remainder of his life, carrying on the same
business. He w-as a member of the Unitarian Church,
-and was active in its interest. He married Sarah
Charles, daughter of Major James Charles. She
died in 1846. Three children were born of this
marriage.

(II) Henry Arthur Farrington, son of Henry
and Sarah (Charles) Farrington, was born in Frye-
burg, Maine. He was educated in the common
schools, and learned the trade of carpenter under
the supervision of his father, and later qualified for
teaching, but did not enter that profession. From
1855 to 1862 he was clerk in the Amoskeag mills.
In the latter year he entered the employ of Kidder
& Chandler, merchants. The following year he was
appointed enrolling officer in Manchester, and per-
formed the duties of that office for the town. He
was appointed clerk in the United States Treasury,
Washington, D. C, Avhich.he declined. Returning
to the mill, he was appointed overseer of the finish-
ing department, which position he filled until 1906,
when he was appointed superintendent of the finish-
ing department. By steady work and careful use of
Tiis earnings, Mr. Farrington has been able from the
first to save money which he has judiciously invested,
at one time was junior partner in the firm of Temple
& Farrington, the leading stationers of i\Ianchester,
and is also treasurer of the Hygienic Finger Tip Com-
pany. He has been active in politics for years, and
as a Republican has served in the common council
and board of aldermen of Manchester. He has been
elected to the board of selectmen where he served
two years, was a member of the constitutional con-
vention in 1902, and represented ward 4 in the
legislature in 1899. He is a member of the Unitarian
Church, of which he has been a director. He became
identified with Odd Fellowship by joining Mechanics
Lodge, No. 13, at Manchester, May 11, 1858. With-
drawing from that lodge he became a charter mem-
ber of Wildey Lodge, No. 45. in 1866. and was its first
noble grand. He was admitted to the Grand Lodge
in 1867, and passed the chairs in that body, being
grand master in 1878. The two following years he
Avas grand representative, and again served as such
in 1893 to fill a vacancy. He was a charter member
of Wonolancet Encampment, and past chief patri-
arch, and was first commandant of Grand Canton
Ridgeley. In 1866 he was appointed colonel of the
military branch, and as such commanded the New
Hampshire contingent in the parade at the session of
"the Sovereign Grand Lodge in September, in Boston.
He was made brigadier-general of the Second Bri-
.gade in December, 1866, and for the next five years
served as such at many brilliant functions. June 4,
1891, he declined further honors. He has been treas-
urer of the Odd Fellows Home for twentv-four



years, and is still serving in that capacity. In 1907
the annual report of the treasurer shows the fol-
lowing financial condition of the home : Cash assets,
$38,771.51; real estate, $100,000.00. He is a mem-
ber of the Derryfield Club.

He married, December 25, 1857, L. Augusta



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 93 of 149)