Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 94 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 94 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


x\dams, born in Vermont, daughter of Stephen
Adams, of Vermont. They have had three children :
Grace W., Arlie A. and Georgia.



There are several representatives of
FOOTE this family among the early American
immigrants, Nathaniel Foote, of Weth-
ersfield, Connecticut, was born in England, about
1593, and was one of the pioneers of that New Eng-
land settlement, where he died in 1644. He left a
numerous progeny, and a large number of the name
in this country trace their ancestry to him. This
branch of the family has a coat of arms bestowed
by King James, and there is a pretty legend con-
nected therewith. The symbol consists of a shield
divided by a chevron, and having quarterings of
clover leaves. The crest is an oak tree, and the
motto, "Loyalty and truth." It is said that during
one of the wars between the English and the Scotch,
King James was in danger of his life, and was res-
cued by an officer named Foote, and conveyed to a
wood nearby where he was concealed in a hollow
oak tree ; anc; that the arms and motto were be-
stowed in recognition of this deed. The following
line is probably descended from the Massachusetts
Fooles. though all may have had a common English
ancestry, if it could be traced sufficiently far. The
early links are lacking, but the unusual name of
Pasco would seem to indicate that the present
branch is derived from Pasco Foote, who had land
granted him in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1637. He
probably did not actually settle there till some years
later, perhaps in 1653, in which year all of his eight
children were baptized on the same day, February 6.
Among these children was Theophilus, who also
lived in Salem. By his first wife he had three chil-
dren, the youngest of whom was named Pasco (2).

(I) Deacon William Lowell Foote, son of
Chellis and Sarah (Lowell) Foote, and grandson of
Pasco Foote, was born at South Berwick, Maine,
near the close of the sixteenth century. He was a

^woolen manufacturer. He was a deacon of the
First Baptist Church for many years. He married
Mary Plummer Wood, daughter of Daniel and
Miriam (Bodwell) Wood,- of Lebanon, New Hamp-
shire, and granddaughter of Major Daniel Wood.
They had six children : Daniel W., William Lowell
(2), whose sketch follows, Hannah M., Sarah and
Susan E.

(II) William Lowell (2), second son and child
of Deacon William L. and Mary P. (Wood) Foote,
was born June 26, 1827, at Rollingsford, New Hamp-
shire. He attended the common schools at South
Berwick, Maine, until 1S45. when at the age of
eighteen he became associated with his father in a
woolen mill, owned by the latter. Mr. Foote re-
mained in this business till 1857, when the mill was
sold. He afterwards became bleacher in the beetling
department, in which he continued for about thirty
years, or until 1889, when he retired from active
work. He attended the Baptist Church, and was a
Republican in politics. He was prominent in Odd
Fellowship, and was past grand of Washington
Lodge. No. 4, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
at Somersworth, New Hampshire.

On August 10, 1848. William Lowell Foote mar-
ried Elizabeth Ann Meserve, born July 27, 1825,
daughter of Colonel John and Sally (Hayes) Me-



1 864



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



serve, and granddaughter of Jonathan Meserve, of
South Berwick, Maine. The Meserves are an an-
cient New England familj^, and the name has been
traced to a Norman-French source. Colonel John
Aleserve, born April 14, 1785, was colonel of New
Hampshire volunteers in the War of 1812 and saw
service on the northern frontier under General Hull.
His wife, Sally (Hayes) Meserve, was born March
13, 1785- William L. and Elizabeth A. (Meserve)
Foo4e had six children : Julia Anna, born at South
Berwick, Maine. October 27, 1849; Ellen Jane, May
3, 185 1 ; Louis William, September 2i, 1852; George
Henry, July 11, 1857, at Somersworth; Adelbert,
April 25, 1859, at Somersworth; and Arthur Lowell,
whose sketch follows. William Lowell Foote died
December 28, 1906, at Greenland, New Hampshire,
and his wife, Elizabeth Ann, died November 24,
1892, at Somersworth, New Hampshire.

(IH) Arthur Lowell, fourth son and sixth and
youngest child of William (2) Lowell and Elizabeth
Ann (Meserve) Foote, was born in Lewiston,
Maine, December 25, 1863. In his second year he
moved with his people to Somersworth, New Hamp-
shire, where he attended various schools till June
27, 1883, on which day he was graduated from the
high school. The following Monday he began the
study of law with Beecham & Pierce, of Somers-
worth. After the dissolution of the firm he con-
tinued to read law with George E. Beecham, the
former senior partner, till March 11, 1887, when he
was admitted to the bar of New Hampshire. Dur-
ing the year 1886 he had formed a partnership with
George p. Beecham to carry on the insurance busi-
ness, with his office in Sanbornville, and after Mr.
Foote's admission to the bar, the partnership was
extended to cover the practice of law, with offices at
Somersworth and Sanbornville. Soon after this
time Arthur E. Wiggin was taken into the firm,
which was then known as Beecham, Foote & Wig-
gin, and an office was opened at Farmington, and
they attained considerable prominence in the practice
of general law. In 1892 Mr. Beecham died and the
dissolution of the partnership followed. Mr. Foote
continued at Sanbornville, where he is established
in practice alone, and has built up a well deserved
reputation as a lawyer. He was county solicitor in
1896-97. December 19, 1899, he was admitted as an
attorney and counsellor to the circuit court of the
United States. He is a Republican in politics. He
is a member of the Theosophical Society of New
York City. Mr. Foote is much interested in fra-
ternal organizations, and is past master of Libanus
Lodge, No. 49, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons,
of Somersworth ; past great sachem of the great
council of New Hampshire, Improved Order of Red
Men. and four times elected great representative to
the great council of the United States. He belongs
to Dover Lodge, No. 184, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, by which he has several times been
elected to deliver the memorial address. On June
ic 1888, Arthur Lowell Foote married Carrie Bell
Sanborn, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth San-
born, of Somersworth, New Hampshire, and they
have one child, Lowell Sanborn, born June 2, 1891.



The Lovells in America are of Eng-
LOVELL lish origin, and there was a long line

of this name in England, but the Peer-
age is now extinct. Lord Francis Lovell was Lord
Chamberlin to Richard III and took part in the
battle of Bosworth when King Richard was killed.
The first Lord mentioned was Lord John who was
Knight of the Garter during the reign of Henry IV.
The family of Lovell has a large representation



throughout this country, and many of its members
have occupied important positions of trust and
honor.

(I) Alexander Lovell was the first of the line
concerning whom there is authentic information in
America. He was in Medfield, Massachusetts, as
early as 1645, and was one of its citizens when the
town was burned by the Indians. The date of his
death does not appear, but his will was dated Au-
gust 15, 1707. He married, October 30, 1658, Lydia^
daughter of Benjamin and Hannah Albie, probably
of Medfield.

(II) Nathaniel, son of Alexander and Hannah
(Albie) Lovell, was born in Medfield, and died
March 16, 1731, probably in Medway, Massachusetts,
as he finally became a resident of that town. He
married (first) Abigail Davis, and (second) Eliza-
beth .

(HI) Michael, spelled by himself Mical, was
the son of Nathaniel and Abigail (Davis) Lovell,
and was born March 13, 1705, in Medway. He

married Mary . The family resided for

several years in Medway and later removed to
Worcester, Massachusetts. There were nine chil-
dren by this marriage, the first three were born in
Medway and the others in Worcester. About 1754
six brothers of this family — Michael, Ebenezer,
Oliver, Timothy, John and Elijah — came from
Worcester to Rockingham, Vermont, being-
among its earliest settlers. That they were
men possessing considerable property and busi-
ness ability is evident from the fact that in-
a few years they owned practically all of
the to'wn of Rockingham. When" the war of the
Revolution broke out, three of the brothers remained'
adherents to the British Crown, and henice were
termed Tories, while the others took the part of the
Colonists.

(IV) Michael (2), eldest son of Mical and
Mary Lovell, was born July 5, 1728, in Medway,
Massachusetts, and died in Rockingham, Vermont,
in 1786. He was a zealous patriot and was captain
of a company in the war of the Revolution. He mar-
ried Hannah, but no record of her surname appears.
From all accounts she was a very efficient and brave-
woman. During the absence of her husband she
managed the two or three farms they owned and it
is said she often mounted her horse and carried im-
portant messages to commanding officers, and the
hospitality of their home was always offered to both
officers and privates during the progress of the war.
After the death of her husband Mrs. Lovell re-
moved with her children from Rockingham ta
Cavendish. Vermont, where her remains lie buried
in a small cemetery in which there are only thirteen
graves, the stone bearing only the inscription, now
legible, of "Hannah, relict of Captain Michael
Lovell." Their five children were — Enos, who was
the second child born in Rockingham, date about
1760. Michael. Randall, born in 1766. and there
were two daughters — Elizabeth and Mary. _ Oscar
Lovell Shafter, who was for many years chief jus-
tice of the state of California, and James McMillen
Shafter, who was also a judge on the bench in Cali-
fornia, and General William Rufus Shafter were
direct descendants of Enos Lovell.

(V) Michael (3), son of Captain Michael and
Hannah Lovell. was born December 29 1764. in
Rockingham, Vermont. He removed to Claremont,
New Hampshire, in 1820, and purchased a valuable
farm on which he passed the remainder of his life
and where he died April 29, i860. He married Sally
Kimball, about the year 1791 ; she died January 11,
1838. Their nine children were: Darexa, Elvira,




JOHN W. DICKEY.



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



i86>



Sally, Polly, Sophie. Seymour, Alartha. Porter Kim-
ball," and Maria Retsey." This family of children
fully sustained the reputation of their ancestors for
superior intelligence and executive ability. The son
who had the most public career was Porter Kimball
Lovell. He was a graduate of Bowdoin College
and also studied in Paris and became a physician.
He went to Hayti with Dr. James Hall, who was
once a resident of Claremont and later made gov-
ernor of Liberia. On their arrival there the yellow
fever was raging and Dr. Lovell soon became fa-
mous by reason of his successful treatment of this
disease. He was surgeon general in the army of
the Revolution of Hayti in 1842-44, and died there
November 19, 1S46, at the age of thirt3 - seven years.
The eldest son, Seymour Lovell, also studied medi-
cine and died January 2, 1844. while attending medi-
cal lectures at the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons in New York City. ]Maria Retsey, youngest
child of Michael (3) and Polly (Kimball) Lovell.
was born April 8, 1813, and married Herman Allen
Wightman in 1S34. She died in Claremont. May I,
1894. Their five children were — Frances ^L, Nellie
S., Martha L.. ]\Iary J. and*Caroline E.

(VI) Mary J." Wightman, born January 19,
1843. married. February 22, 1882. Osmon B. Way,
M. D., of Claremont. (See Way).



Several families of this name settled in
DICKEY New Hampshire, all Scotch, and no
doubt all of one stock. There were
three James Dickeys in the Revolutionary army from
this state ; one from Londonderry, one from Raby
(Brookline), and one from Antrim. In those sev-
eral branches we find the names of William, John,
Adam and Samuel, and soon, over and over, so as
to render it difficult to keep them distinct.

(I) William Dickey and his wife Elizabeth
were the immigrant ancestors of many of those who
settled in Londonderrj^ The exact date of their
landing on these shores cannot be ascertained. It
must have been prior to 1730. and may have been as
early as 1725. They came from the north of Ire-
land, bringing with them their three children-
Samuel, Elias and Elizabeth — and located on one of
the best and most attractive farms in the westerly
part of Londonderrv. near a small stream known as
"Todds Brook." William Dickey died_ October 9,
1743, aged sixty, and Elizabeth, his wife, died Oc-
tober 21. 1748. aged seventy. Each of their graves
is marked by a respectable slab in the old "hill
graveyard" in Londonderry.

(ID Jonathan Dickey was born in ^Manchester,
New Hampshire, and died about 1833. He is be-
lieved to be descended from ancestors wdio lived in
Londonderry. He was a farmer, and resided about
three-fourths of a mile south of ]\Ias?abesic Lake.
He married Sarah Webster, who died at the age of
eighty-seven years. They were the parents of five
children : John Webster, see forward : Rebecca
Perham. deceased : Lydia. deceased ; jMary Stark,
deceased ; Joshua, deceased.

(IID John Webster, eldest son of Jonathan
and Sarah (Webster) Dickey, was born in Alan-
chester. January 16, 1S23. died June 22, 1901, aged
seventy-eight. He was reared on a farm, educated
in the public schools, and worked on his grand-
fatlTCr's farm from the age of ten years, when he
lost his father by death, until he was twenty-one
years old. He then went to California and there re-
mained for one year. After his return he was em-
ployed by the railroad company for a short period
of time, and in 1852 entered the employ of the Amos-
keag Manufacturing Company of ^Manchester, where



he served forty-five years about its yards, fifteen
years of which time he was yardmaster. He was
very attentive to the duties of his position, and was
promoted to the place he last occupied as a reward
for his efficiency and long service. At the time of
the Civil war he was a patriotic citizen, and fought .
for the preservation of the Union. He enlisted as a
private in the First New Hampshire Volunteer
Light Battery, August 20, 1861. and was mustered
into the service of the United States on September
26. 1S61. He was later mustered out, and February
22. 1S63, he re-enlisted and was mustered in Decem-
ber 26. 1863 ; he was later appointed company quar-
termaster-sergeant, and served till the close of the
war: he was finally mustered out June 9, 1865. He
participated in the' battles of Rappahannock Station,
Gainsville. Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericks-
burg, Chancellorsville. Gettysburg, Wilderness, Cold
River, Pennsylvania. Spottsylvania. North Anna,
Sheldon's Cross Roads, Cold Harbor, Petersburg
and Deep Bottom. He was inclined toward the Con-
gregational religion, and attended the Hanover
Street Congregational Church, of which Mrs. Dickey
and his daughter are members. His services as a
citizen merited the confidence of the public, and he
was elected councilman and alderman of the city of
^Manchester, and filled those offices with credit. He
was a member of Washington Lodge, No. 61, Free
and Accepted Masons, in which he took the entered
apprentice degree. Mar.ch 13, 1873. He joined Mt.
Horeb Royal Arch Chapter, No. 11. in June, 1877,
and later Adoniram Council, No. 3. Royal and Select
^Masons. Trinity Commandery, Knights Templar, alt
of [Manchester, also the Consistory of Nashua. He
was a member of Mechanics Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Sons of Tem-
perance. In political sentiment he was a Republican.
:Mr. Dickev married, in Manchester, March 22,
1S55. ]Mary M. Clark, born August 27, 1828. at
Landaff. New Hampshire, daughter of Simeon and
Mehitable (Clement) Clark. Simeon Clark was
born at Landaff. October 21. 1803, died December 31,
1879. aged seventy-six. He married (first) Mehit-
able Clement, born at Landaff, 1803, died January 2.
1840. She was the mother of five children. t\yo of
whom are now (1907) living, namely: Mrs. Dickey,
and iMrs. Joseph Abbott, of Rumney. Simeon Clark
married (second), in 1859. Mary Ann Brown, of
Rumnev, who died in 1900. Two children were born
to John W. and Mary M. (Clark) Dickey: Jessie
F.. wife of Robert R. Chase, who is an insurance
agent, and who served as state senator in 1907: and
Mary B.. widow of Arthur H. Cate, late of Man-
chester, who died in 1898.



In old davs. in Scotland, this name
OTTERSON was spelled "Oughterson." and
gradual changes have brought it
to its present form, though it still has some varia-
tions in use among the American bearers. Soon
after the beginning of the seventeenth century many
thriftv and mdustrious people of Scotland were in-
duced to settle in northern Ireland, where lands were
cheap. About a century later their descendants
made an extensive emigration to America, and New
Hampshire is now indebted to these immigrants for
manv of her best citizens. While the hardy Scotch
in Ireland refused to mix with their neighbors, thcv
kept up commuunication with their relatives and
compatriots at home, and thus preserved in remark-
able degree the traditions, customs and habits rf
thought^of their ancestry, and they have often been
characterized as "More Scotch than the Scotch."
Certain it is that they and their posterity have been



1 866



NEW HAMPSHIRE.



noted for their industry, intelligence and independ-
ence, their thrift and piety, and have always been
well settled in their principles, opinions and habits.
The bitter struggles for supremacy between the
Catholic and Protestant factions in England, which
culminated in the siege of Londonderry, Ireland, in
1688-89, gave them untold hardships and much loss
of life, and settled still more firmly their tenacity of
religious faith. Naturally their attention was turned
to this country, where religious freedom was guar-
anteed to all. and a large immigration followed. In
1718 a considerable company came from the vicinity
of Londonderry, Ireland, and wintered in Massachu-
setts and Maine, settling in the following spring in
Londonderry, New Hampshire, where a strong col-
ony was built up, whose influence is still strongly
felt by the state in many ways.

(I) Among those who founded the town of
Londonderry was James Otterson, of whom little
•can now be learned. His v.n\], made in 1760, is on
record in that town, and names his wife, Agnes, and
sons — James, George and John, and the two chil-
dren of his son, William, who was then deceased.
This is probably the James Otterson whose age is
given among centenarians of Chester as one hun-
dred and three years at death.

(II) William, son of James and Agnes Otterson.
was born in Ireland, and married Jean Sample. He is
found of record in that part of ancient Chester
which is now Hooksett, May 25, 1757, when he pur-
chased lot No. 128, fifth division, of Robert Boyes.
though he is known to have previously lived in
wliat was then Chester. His brother, Andrew Ot-
terson, was also an earlv resident of this region, and
like him, enlisted in the French and Indian war,
after which he disappeared from this vicinity. At
the close of that struggle William Otterson was in
northern New York, and set out with his compan-
ions to cross Lake Champlain, on the way home. A
ntunber were embarked in an unseaworthy canoe,
and all save one of its occupants were drowned, in- -
eluding Mr. Otterson. This occurred early in 1760,
so that he enjoyed little of the benefit of his Hook-
sett land. However, his widow and two children
continued to reside upon it. and all reached great
age. The daughter, Mary, died November 22, 1845,
aged eig'hty-six years. She never married, and was
noted as a nurse, and familiarly and gratefully
known as "Old Aunt Mollv" throughout a wide dis-
trict.

(Ill) James, only son of William and Jean
(Sample) Otterson, was born August 19, 1757,
somewhere in Chester, probably on the Hooksett
estate of his father. As a boy he lived in Pem-
broke, where he learned the trade of cooper, which
occupied him until his marriage, when he settled on
the paternal homestead and continued farming dur-
ing the remainder of his life. He died December
22, 1846, in his ninetieth year. Though not a mem-
ber of any religious body he was a strict and moral
man. respected by all. It is related that he would
not permit any of his boys to take fish from the
pond adjoining his farm after they had secured all
that could be advantageously used by the family.
In politics he w^as a Whig, and always took a keen
and intelligent interest in the progress of his coun-
try, as well as of the community in which he lived.
In his day his home was .^till in Chester, remote
from the center of the town, and he mingled little in
public afifairs. A good citizen, he lived a long and
useful life, and enjoyed in old age the fruits of his
industry and thrift. His wife, Martha (Chase) Ot-
terson, of Sutton, New Hampshire, died in 1845,
aged eighty years. She was a daughter of Abner



Chase, of Concord. The fate of their children is in-
dicated as follows : William was a farmer and mill
operator in Hdoksett, where he died at the age of
eighty-two. James died in Hooksett. Elizabeth
married Nicholas Dolloff, of Epsom, and resided in
Hooksett. Isaac and John A. were twins ; the latter
died in Clinton, Massachusetts, at the age of sixtj^-
five years, Mary became the wife of John Young,
of Dee'rfield, and died in ^Nlethuen, ]\Iassachusetts.
Jotham Dutton was several times mayor of
Nashua, and died in that city. Martin Luther died
at the age of twenty-one. Three others died in in-
fancy.

(IV) Isaac Chase, third son and fourth child
of James and Martha (Chase) Otterson, was born
September 11, 1797, on the old Hooksett homestead,
where he grew up, receiving his education in the
local district school. When a young man he was
joint owner with Hiram Brown of a quarry below
Hooksett, from which was taken stone now in
Fanueil Hall, Boston. He also engaged in lumber-
ing on the Merrimack river, and tilled the old farm.
He passed away February- 15, 1874. in his seventy-
seventh year. With his wife he attended the Con-
gregational Church, and he was universally respected
as an upright man and good citizen. He was sev-
eral years a member of the board of selectmen, be-
ing chairman part of the time, and served as tax
collector over twenty years. Although the towni
had a Democratic strength of two to one in political
contests, he was an outspoken Whig and later a
Republican, but was held in such high regard as a
man and citizen that his election was ever sure when
a candidate for town office. He was married Febru-
ary 25, 1824. to ]\Iargaret Head, of Hooksett, young-
est child of Nathaniel and Annie (Knox) Head, of
that town (see Head, IV). She was born Decem-
ber 10, 1796. and died December 30, 1866. The lo-
cation of her children is noted as follows : Martha
Ann is now^ the widow of Jesse Gault, of Hooksett,
and resides in Manchester. (See Gault, V). Na-
thaniel H. lived and died in Hooksett. Nancy H.
married Hiram N. Ash, and lived and died in Ly-
man. New Hampshire. Martin L. and Mary were
twins ; the former is a farmer, residing on the ori-
ginal homestead, and the latter died at the age of
nineteen years. Sarah Fernald was manj- years a
teacher and died unmarried in Hooksett. John
died in infancy, and a second John died when eleven
vcars old. William and Henrv reside in Hooksett.



The name of John Moses appears in
MOSES the records of three New England com-
munities prior to 1640 — in Plymouth,
i\Iassachusetts, in Windsor-Simsbury, Connecticut,
and in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The southern
members of this group were doubtless father and
son, the progenitor, John Moses, of Plymouth, ship-
wright, having emigrated in 1632, with the tools of
his trade, which yet remain in the family. This
John was a good workman, no doubt. At any rate,
he deemed the laborer worthy of his hire, and in
1641 is found "in the quarter court held at Boston,"
suing Thomas Keyser and John Guy, "of Lynne,"
for some twenty pounds alleged to be due on a
piazza which he had built for them.

John Moses, of Plymouth, was of Welsh stock,
and' of no traceable connection with John Moses, of
Portsmouth. The latter' was of Scotch extraction,
and came to New England in 1639, indentured to
seven years' apprenticeship. At the expiration of
his service, in 1646, he received from George Cleeves
and Richard Tucker, proprietors, a deed of release



Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 94 of 149)