France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 14 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 14 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

this State. He finished his literary course
in Csnnonsburg Academy before it was
chartered as Jefferson College. He was
licensed to preach in 1808 by Chartiers
Presbytery, and ordained in 1806. He
had charge of three churches, Bethel,
Darlington and Big Beaver, from his
ordination until his death in 1842.

Elijah N. Scoggs was the youngest son
in a family of twenty-one children. He
was born on the Big Spring, south of
Newville, Cumberland county, in 1786.
He was educated at Cannonsburg, and
was licensed to preach in 1819 by the
Ohio Presbytery, and ordained in 1820.
His labors were confined to Ohio, and he
died in that State in 1851, after thirty-one
years of active service in the ministry.
It will be seen, therefore, that 'Squire
Imbrie is descended from the best kind of
United Presbyterian stock.
Buried AUts.

Ebenezer Erskine, of Scotland, one of
the founders of the Associate Church,
was buried ali?e on one occasion. He
was taken severely ill, it was thought he
had died, and he was buried. Severa
of his friends bethought them of a ring
upon one of his fingers which they were
desirous of preserving as an heirloom.
The grave was opened, the coffin taken
out, and on opening it Mr. Erskine was
found to be alive. He lived for years
after and became one of the most noted
of Scotland's preachers.

When the Union Took Place.

The Associate and Associate Reformed
Churches were united as the United
Presbyterian Church at Pittsburg in May,

Digitized by


Historical and Genealogical.


1858. The consolidation of the two
bodies was one of the most impressive
and solemn religious ceremonies which
ever took place in this country.
Where Its SCrengUi I4*».
The United Presbyterian Church is
strong in the western part of Pennsyl
vania and in several of the Western
States. "Westward the star of empire
takes its way," and so while the United
Presbyterian Chnrch has made but little
progress of late years In the East, it has
grown and flourished and become a
mighty religious power in the West. I
am glad, indeed, to have spoken these
words of praise of a Church whose de-
scendants are among the best and truest
and most consistent churchmen in the
United States thb old fellow.

Historical, Bloffrapbleal aad Genealogical.


"Pine Ford 1 ' was at the crossing of
the Swatara. at or near the present town
of Middletown, in Dauphin county. In
the petitions for a road leading from
Harris' Ferry to the Conestoga, and from
Thomas Harris' mill, on Conewago to
Pine Ford, mention is made of this ford,
and it was probably well known through*
out the Province prior to the erection of
Middletown. s b.

McAbthur —Thomas McArthur, of
Paxtang, died in 1785, well advanced in
years. By will he devised his estate to
his children :

i Katharine, m. Howard.

H. Barbara, m. Walker.

Hi. Mary, m. William Peacock, and
had, among otters Thomas and James.

•e. Thomas

ft. [a daugTUer], in. — Kyle, and
had Bibeeea and Margaret


I. Thomas Renick, a native of Ire-
land, came with his family to America in
1788 On the 37th of March, 1788. be
took out a warrant for 826 acres in Pax-
tang township, where he had first settled.
This land adjoined lands of William
Ritcbey and Thoma? Mayes. Of his

family we have the record only of one

II. William Renick (Thomas), b.
about 1704 in Ireland; d. prior to 1768 in
Paitang, for on the 5th of January that
year his estate was divided ; and the chil-
dren severally released their claims
against the estate of their father to their
brother Henry. The family at that date

8 i. Henry, b. 1725; m. Martha.

4 U Thomas, b 1780; m. Jean.

iU. Margaret, b. 1788; resided in Cum-
berland county, Penn'a.

iv. Alexander, b. 1786; resided in Cum-
berland couoty, Penn'a.

e. Samuel, b. 1788; resided in Cum-
berland county, Penn'a; m. and had a
son William

ei William, b. 1740; resided in Fred •
erfck county, Md. ; m. and had a son

vii James, b. 1742; resided in Trenton,
West Jersey.

III. Henry Renick( William, Thomas>
b. Dec. 2, 1725, in the north of Ireland;,
m. in 1750, Martha Wilson. They bed

»' William, b. Monday, Oct 6, 1749;
d. March, 1776.

it' Sarah, b. Tuesday, October 15,1751;
d. March 12, 1828; m. John Wilson; b.
1750; d. Nov. 11, 1800.

iH. Mary, b. Saturday, August 24,1754.

iv. Martha, b. Saturday, Nov. 30,1755;
m. t\ illiam Swan.

v. Esther, b. August 81, 1758; m. Dec.
14, 1784, Robert Foster; b. 1758; d. Jan*
20, 1884, in Buffalo Valley and left issue.

ti. Margaret, b. Sept. 12. 1760; d. s. p.

IV. Thomas Krnick (William,
Thomas.) b. about 1780, in the North of
Ireland; d. in April, 1777. in Paxtang; m.
Jean Clark, dau of Robert and Jean Clark,
of Upper Paxtang ; d . in May 1782. They
had issue :

i Merry \ ro. Hugh Miller.

ii. Jean; m. Thomas Brunson.

Hi. John; d. May, 1784, unm ; direct*
ing his estate to be divided between his
four sisters, and his cousin, Esther

to. Margaret.

e Ann; m. Robert Boyd.

[What is known concerning the fore*
going families. }

Digitized by



Historical and Genealogical.


In the Valley of th« Ohio 10 1788.
[Mr. DeWarville published shortly
after his return from an extensive tour in
the United States in 1788 an interesting
account of his travels. Oae of his letters
translated from the French is here
given. ]

I have had the good fortune to meet
here a Frenchman, who is traveling in
this country, not in pursuit of wealth, but
to gain information. It is Mr. Saugrain
from Paris; he is an ardent naturalist;
some circumstances first attached him to
the king of Spain, who sent him to Span-
ish America to make discoveries in min»
erals and natural history. After the
death of his protector, Don Galves, he
returned to France. In 1787 he formed
the project with Mr. Piguet, who had
some knowledge in botany, to visit
Kentucky and the Ohio.

They arrived at Philadelphia, and
passed immediately to Pittsburgh There
the winter overtook them, and the Ohio
froze over, which rarely happens. They
lodged themselves a few miles from Pitts
burgh in an open house, where they
suffered much from the cold. The ther-
mometer of Reaumur descended to 32
degrees, while at Philadelphia it was only
at 16. During their stay here they made
many experiments. Mr. Saugrain weighed
several kinds of wood in an hydrostatic
balance which he carried with him. He
discovered, likewise, which species would
yield the greatest quantity, and the best
kind of potash. Many experiments con-
vinced him that the stalks of Indian corn
yielded a greater quantity than wood in
proportion to tue quantity of matter. He
examined the different mines of the coun-
try. He found some of iron, of lead, of
•copper and of silver. He was told of a
rich iron mine belonging to Mr. Murray,
but he was not suffered to see it.

On the opening of the Spring, they de*.
«cended the Ohio, having been joined by
another Frenchman, Mr. Rague, and a
Virginian. They landed at Muskingum,
where they saw General Harmer, and
some people who were beginning a set-
tlement there.

At some distance below this place they
fell in with a party of savages. M.
Piguet was killed; and M. Saugiain

wounded and taken prisoner; he fortu-
nately made his escape, rejoined the Vir-
ginian, and found the me*ns of returning
to Pittsburgh, having lost his money and
all his effects. He then returned to Phil-
adelphia, where I have met him, on his
way to Europe.

He has communicated to me many ob
servattons of the western country. The
immense valley washed by the Ohio, ap
pears to him the most fertile that he has
ever seen. The strength and rapidity of
vegetation in that country are Incredible,
the size of the trees enormous, and their
variety infinite. The inhabitants are
obliged to exhaust the first fatness of the
land in hemp and tobacco, in order to
prepare it for the production of wheat
The crops of Indian corn are prodigious;
the cattle acquire an extraordinary size,
and keep fat the whole year in the oren

The facility of producing grain, rear-
ing cattle, making whiskey, beer, and
cider, with a thousand other advantages,
attract to this country great numbers of
emigrants from ether parts of America.
A man in this country scarcely works
two hours a day for the support of him**
self and family; he passes most of his
time in idleness, hunting or drinking.
The women spin and make clothes for
their husbands and families. Mr. Sau-
grain saw very good woollens and linens
made there. They have very little money;
everything is done by barter.

The active genius of the Americans is
always pushing them forward. Mr. Sau-
grain has lo doubt but sooner or later the
Spaniards will be forced to quit the Mis-
sissippi, and the Americans will pass it,
and establish themselves in Louisiana,
which he has seen, and considers as one
of the finest countries in the universe.

Mr. Saugrain came from Pittsburg n to
Philadelphia in seven days on horseback.
He could have come in a chaise; but it
would have taken him a longer time. It
is a post road with good taverns estab-
lished the whole way.


[The following interesting notice of
the least known of our Pennsylvania
counties is culled from the Bloomsburg
Columbian. \

Digitized by


Historical and Genealogical.


Interposed between the two main
streams of the Susquehanna river above
its bifurcation at Northumberland, the
county of Sullivan is one ot the moat re-
markable sections of eastern Pennsylva-
nia. It is in fact an elevated plateau, its
highest part 8 2,500 feet above the level ot
the sea, discharging from three of its
sides considerable streams of water to
the two great divisions ot the Sueque
banna above mentioned. Of the latter
there are two on the west, two on the
south and two on the east, each of which
originating on a high level and gradually
making aeep cuts for itself toward the
•edge of the plateau, eventually emerge
trum their mountain gorges into the river
valley beyond. In ibis way tne West
Branch receives theLoyalsock and Muncy
•creeks, and the North Bianch Fishing
•creek, with its matn territory, and Bow-
man and Meboopany creeks. Strong
streams are all these, which if found in
Europe would be denominated rivers,
and the topography ot each in its upper
and middle courses would well re-
ward attention. The dense .forests
-of the mountain plateau are com-
posed ot beech, maple, birch and hem-
lock, but a small part of which have been
yet removed, and it may be assured that
ihey have a considerable effect upon the
climate and rain tall of the general sec-
tion ot the State in which they are

Only of late have the geological features
and mineral resources of Sullivan county
undergone investigation, but from what
already appears it is evident that the
•county is not the desert region, whlcb,
upon imperfect information, many per-
sons formerly supposed it to be. It has
been assnmed that when the forests were
swept off, there would be left only a
broken surface poorly adapted to the pur-
poses of agriculture and beneath to' the
profound est depths only sterile and worth-
less rocks. But a limited basin of coal
Intermediate between bituminous and an-
thracite has been found and developed at
Birch Creek, and recent borings south of
that locality indicate more extensive for
mations of the same material, distinct
proof has also been obtained of yellow
ochre in a valuable deposit in the. neigh-
borhood of Ganoga lake, extending north-

ward for several miles, and iron ores also
have been detected at several paints

The whole section is rich in timber and
the surface is admirably adapted to graz •
ing purposes and to the production of
root crops, grasses and summer grain.

Sullivan is dotted by about a dozen in •
teresting lakes, whi. h we have no doubt
will furnish favorite points for summer
resort in future times. Towards the east
Mehoopany and Bowman's creek each
originate in one of these while the outlet
flow of the others are contributions to
tributaries of Fishing creek on the suuth.
The two west ponds are located near the
center of the county, while those two
beautiful bodies of water known as Lewis
and Hunter's lakes are found upon the
western border.


[The following list of marriages by
Rev. William R. DeWitt, who for fifty
years filled the pulpit of the Presbyterian
church in Harrisburg, may interest our
readers. This list forms only a small pro-
portion of the marriages consummated by
that revered minister:]

Nov. 25. Samuel Johnson, of Cumber-
land county, and Jane Gillispie.

Dec. 23. William Bell and Elizabeth


Richard T. Jacobs an i Sally

April 18.

April 23. Henry Antes and Catharine
M. Forster.

May 23. Jacob Spangler and Catharine

Nov. 30. John Whitehilland Catharine

Dec. 9 Cornelius Armstrong and Jane
Buffi ogton.

Dec. 14. Jane Pindlay and Francis R.


Nov. 9. Eleanor Whttehill and Philip

Nov. 9. Samuel White and Sarah Hills.

Sept. 12. George W. Harris and Mary

Sept. 19. Alex. Graydon and Jane Mo

Digitized by



Historical and Genealogical.

Oct 24. John Roberto and Mary

Oct 24. George W. Boyd and Elizabeth

Nov. 22. N. B. Wood and Catharine


Feb. 18. Wm. Dale and 8arah Elder,

June 29. Joseph Smith and Ellen Gray-

1824. •

April 18. Wm. H. Doll and Sarah

Feb. 10. Thomas Baird and Eliza

June 29. Dr. Joseph 8mith and Elea-
nor Giaydon.


March 25. John A. Weir and Catharine


jan. 14. Robert Allen and Ellen

Jan. 26. James Snodgrass and Mary

May 81. James McCormick aod Eliza

June 29. Garrick Mallory andCatharine


July 14 James Denning and Caro-
line Burnett.

Oct 11. Andrew J. Jones and Ann


May 8. Henry Cross and Rose Wright

Nov. 21. H. Wilson Rutherford and
Ellen Crain.


May 25. Charles C. Rawn and France!
P. Clendenin.

Sept 12. Austin O. Hubbard aod
Mary T. Gray don.

Dec. 24. Dr. Wm. Elder and Sarah J.


March 28. John Sloan and Mary

Sept 10. Daniel Gehr and Harriet


Sept. 24. James Kennedy and Eliza-
beth Hiinoa.

Sept. 29. James Gillespie and Jane

Oct. 15. Joel Hinckley and Theodosia
Gray don.

June 80. John Harrison and Elizabeth-

May 17. Samuel Cross and Mary

October 12. Capt. James Collier and
Sarah Mitchell.

August 23. Daniel Rider and Sophia

January 1. Anthony Blanchard War-
ford and Eliza Cameron.

March 5. Joseph W. Cottrell and Esther
A. 81oan.

March 18. Geo. W. Urben and Mary

Feb. 20. James Cowden and Ann

March 12. William Carson and Lydia

May — . Robert R. Elder and Eliza-
beth G. Elder.

Jan. 7. Charles Thomas and Susan
Coble, both of East Pennsboro.

June 15. Henry Buehler and Fanny 8-

April 25. David Craighead and Mary
Jane 8 loan.

May 24. Rer. Matthew Semple and
Caroline Wills.

June 1. Dr. Wm. 0. McPherson and
Elizabeth Wallace.

Elisha S. Goodrich, of Bradford*
county, and Rose Cross.
May 18. Wallace Kerr and Eliz. E.

May 13. Wm. R. Morris and Oath, H.

James Clark and Eliz. Bufflngtnn.
Not 12. Dr. John 8 Bobbs and Cath.
M. Cameron.

Sept. 18. James Ross 8nowden, of
Philadelphia, and Susan E. Patterson.

Digitized by


Historical and Genealogical.


March 1. James Todd and Ann M.

Dec. B.John A. Weir and Matilda

M*rch 8. Robt. W. McClnre and Mar-
garetta Sturgeon.

Sept. 18 Augustus E. Cornyn and
Eliza H Jacobs.

Aug. 19. David Espy and Ann Catha-
rine Jackson.

March 7. James Elder and Rebecca
Orth Whilehill.


A brief chapter on church property of
*the Carlisle Presbytery will not fail in
interest. None of the original churches
are now standing. They were gener-
ally built of hewn logs, "chinkea and
daubed," as were a'ao the dwellings to
most of the early settlers. These gener-
ally gave way to larger and better
houses ot worship, as the people in-
creased in numbers and advanced in
wealth. To this, we believe, there is no
exception . Even the • 'old Derry church, ' '
removed a short time ago, had been pre*
ceded by a smaller building, erected in
1783. A very strong desire was felt to
preserve the building erected in 1756, but
it had so crumbled and gone to decay that
it bad to be taken down. This occurred
in 1888. Since then a beautiful and sub*
-staniial limestone structure has been
reared on this historic spot by the de-
scendants and friends of the staunch
Scotch Irish Presbyterians who wor-
shiped in the old log church.

Most ot the older congregations are
now occupying their third house of wor-

There are forty-nine congregations in
the Presbytery, owning fifty two churches
and three chapels. From valuations fur-
nished the stated clerk, to be used in
preparing a "tabulated statement"
lor the General Assembly, the
value of these places of wor-
ship is estimated at over $460,000.
Twentytfour of the churches are brick,
seventeen are frame, weatherboarded,
and eleven are stone. Some of thesione

churchc fe are very old. The erection of
seven of them dates back of the present
century, viz: Pax ton, about 1752; First
church. Carlisle, 1760; Silver Spring,
1783; Bin: Spring. 1790; Lower Marsh
Creek, 1790; Great Conewago, 1787;
Mercersburg, 1794, and the Falling
Spring church, at Chambersburg, was
built in 1803. All of these old churches
are in a fine state of preservation and
most of them in excellent repair "Hu-
manly speaking," they may stand for
centuries to come.

In the case of five of the shove eight
viz: First Churcb, Carlisle; Silver Spring,
Big Spring, Falling Spring and Mercers*
burg, changes have been made in the ex-
terior by additions or by otherwise re-
modeling them These, except possibly
ir one instance, were called for in order
.o secure much needed additional room.
In all cases as few changes as possible
were made in the original build In es.
We think those at Carlisle, Big Spring
and Falling Spring remain almost en-
tirely intact; and that the changes made
have been mainly in form of additions.
These five old churches deservedly take
rank among the best and mo?t attractive
in the Presbytery. It may be added that
all of them are provided with fine lecture
and Sabbath school rooms or chapels of
recent date. Two of these are munioN
cent gifts of individuals — that at Mercers-
burg, of Mr. Seth Dickey, and tne ele-
gant Memorial Sunday school < nape] at
Silver Spring, of Col Henry M'Cormick
and wife, ot Harrisburg.

The exterior of the other three old
stone churches remains unchanged;
viz: Of Paxton, Lower Marsh Cretk and
Great Conewago. There appears to be no
occasion that would demand change, and
it is to be hoped that they will pas* down
intact through the centuries to come. By
each succeeding generation they will be
piized the more highly and held the more
eacred, because unchanged. At Paxton
the congregation is about to make in-
ternal changes and improvements which
will render it one of the most comforta-
ble and attractive places of worship in
the Presbytery, as it is the oldest.
When through with this improvement,
they should erect upon their beautiful and
spacious grounds a suitable building for

Digitized by



Historical and Genealogical.

Sabbath Echool and lecture purposes.
May there not be amonpst them some one
like-minded with Col. M'Cormick or Mr.
Dickey T There exists the same need of
such a building at Lower Marsh Creek
church. The wants of Great Conewago
are supplied by the Acndemy buildi ng
which stands on its grounds and is other-
wise unocupied.

One of the brick churches was built in
the last century— Rocky Springs in 1794.
It is four miles north of Cbambersburg.
Both internally and externally it remains
as it was built. Theie may be 'seen to-day
the old times tub pulpit, perched high
against the wall; the straight, hijzht
backed pews; the aisles laid in brick, Ac.
Men of the present day, especially fro m
the towns and cities, regard it with great
cur osity and deep interest. But what of
the congregation? The multitudes that
crowded its aisles and filled its pews in
bygone years have passed away, and
there are few to take their places. This
latter is the one sad feature.

With scarce an exception, the church
properties in the Presbytery may be said
to be in excellent condition. Three fine
new churches— Shippensburg, Derry and
Lower Path Valley, and a fourth, neat
and comfortable, at 8tee1ton — hare just
recently been finished. The churches at
Mercers burg and Newport have been re-
modeled and greatly improved. And re*
pairs and improvements have been or are
being made in or about the churches of
Harrisburg, Carlisle (Second), Upper
Path Valley and Mechanicsburg; and ar-
rangements have been completed for the
erection of a fine brick cburch at Dun-*
cannon in 1888. Never in the history of
the Presbytery has there been a lime
when more attention was paid to the
character and condition of places of
worship than now. To the honor of
God's people be it said, there are none
left lying waste. It should be added:
therr are no debts on the churches of the
Presbytery of Cartels.

Another important form of church

?ropetty is the manse or parsonage,
'here are twenty of these in the Pres-
bytery; the aggregate value of which is
about 157,000. These furnish homes for
the pastors of twenty-five churches, and

are owned by the following congrega-
tions: Pine Street, Harrisburg, Paxton
(for pastor of Paxton and Derry). Mid-
dletown. Dauphin, Duncannon, Millers*
town (for pastor of Miller.- town and
Newport), Mechanicsburg, Silver Spring,
Monaghan (tor pastor of Mono gh an and
Petersburg). Second cburch Carlisle, Big.
Spring, Dickinson, Middle Spring,
Central church Cbambersburg, Green-
castle, Waynesboro. Kobert Ken-
nedy Memorial, Mercersburg, Up
per Path Valley and M'Connellsburg
(for pastor of M'Connellsburg. Greer*
Hill and Wells Valley). These prop-
erties are all good and in good condition.
May the day 8<ioi come when every con-
gregation will have a like comfortable
home for its pastor.

We are glad, in closing this chapter on
church property, to be able to say that
the parsonages, like the church edifices,
are unincumbered with debt.

HUtorloal, Biographical and G*an«aJogle»l«<


The Historical Record, of Wilkes-
Barre has reached its eleventh number.
It is fieigbted with the antiquarian lore
of the past, and the history of the pres-
ent, thus making it one of the most val-
uable repositories not only of Wyom-
ing but of State io formation. The Record
newspaper publishers are doing a good
work, and we trust they may see their
way clear to continue their historical
monthly for years to come. Their work
has a pv rmanent value to everybody.

Botd. — John Boyd, of Paxtang town-
ship, d. in 1772, leaving children:

i Margaret

ii Mary.

Hi Jean.

io Mtrtha.

Jean Means and Sarah McWborter
were grand-children. The following
were meniiooed as sons in-law :

James Miller,

James Means,

James Anderson,

Digitized by


Historical and Genealogical.


William McWborter.
James Bard and John Steele were
executors of the estate.

Cavet.— John Oavet,of Pax tang town-
ship, d. in 1784, leaving a wile Catharine
and children:

i John; m. and had a son Thomas.

H. James.

Hi Thomas.

tc. Lydia.

9. Otitis.

vi. Catharine.

In his will be mentions his grandsons,
soos of John, James and Thomas, and
grand -daughters, as follows:

Catharine Boggs.

Catharine McNutt.

Catharine Wylie. s E.


On the 23d of April, 1792, Michael
Stoner, by trade a painter, paid the ex-
ecutors of John Harris £18 Pennsylvania
currency, or $47 88 Federal currency,
for Lot No. 122 on Walnut street, "next
the Jail Lots." The deed was recorded
in 1797, about the time Stoner had com-
pleted his house. His transactions with
Harris are thus stated :

Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 14 of 81)