France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 20 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 20 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1777; d. Feb. 14, 1840.
McCammon, Dr. James, b. 1778; d.

November 27, 1815.
McClelland, Dr. Abraham, b. 1792; d.

Oct. 20, 1829.
McFann, Aaron, b. 1791; d. January

17, 1888.



Digitized by



Google



ue



Historical and Genealogical.



McKibben, David, d. July, 1840.
McKibben, Mrs. Anne, d. April 19,

1886.
McKinney, Mary, wife of Mordecai, b.

1767; d. Oct. 22, 1798.
McMurray, Mrs. A., d. July 29, 1886.
Meyrick, Samuel, b. Jane 5, 1766; d.

May 14, 1811.
Moore, Hanuah, wf. of Henry, b. 1741;

d. January 26, 1801.
Moore, Henry, tat, 1741; d. Sept. 10, 1795.
Reiver, Rebecca, b. Sept. 1768; d. Dec.

21, 1881.
Rogers, Thomas, b. 1792; d. August 21,

1849.
Russell, James, s. of Washington and

Eliza; d. July 8, 1820.
Russell, Eliza, wf. of Washington, b.

Oct. 1, 1801; d. April 20, 1820.
Russell, Eliza, dau. of James and

Frances.
Russell, Hannah, dau. of James and

Frances.
Russell, William, b. Dec 16, 1789; d.

August 12, 1792
Russell, Margaret, b. Sept 18, 1791; d.

Sept. 27, 1792.
Russell, James, junior, d. Not. 28, 1798.

Russell, ,Mary, dau of William and
Susanna Mills, b. June 4, 1765; d. Not.
24, 1798.

Russell, Jane, wf. of Alexander, b.
1769; d. Feb. 2, 1811.

The following record we give in full.
Who was he?

In memory of

SAMUEL SUTTON

A native of Hampshire

county and State of Virginia

who departed this Life

July 25th a. D, 1825

aged 47 years.

^

CONTRIBUTIONS TO PENNSYLVANIA
tftlOQRAPBY.

Burnside, James.

James Burnside was born June 4, 1708,
in County Meath, Leinster, Ireland. His
parents were members or the Church of
England, and gave their son a liberal
education. In 1784 he immigrated to
Georgia, and was for sometime employed
in the public store and as an accountant
for the trustees of the colony in Savan-
nah. Purchasing a small plantation on
an island near the town, in 1786, he was



married the first time to Margaret Reran,
daughter of Charles and Margaret Bevan,
by whom be had a daughter, Rebecca,
born March 81, 1740, and baptized two-
days later by Qeorge Whitefield. His
plantation dwelling house having been
destroyed by fire, he removed to Savan-
nah, where be met with a similar misfor-
tune. Having become reduced in cir-
cumstances in consequence of these re
peated losses, in 1740 he was engaged by
Whitefield as General Manager of the
Orphan House, "Bethseda." Here he
became acquainted with the Moravian-
missionary, John Hagen — at that date-
Whitefield's gardener— and through him
desired to know more of the Brethren.
With this in view, lodgings were secured
for him at the house of John Brownfield,
where the Brethren held their meetings,,
which he attended.

Alter the death of his wife in 1748,
with his daughter be sailed tor Philadel-
phia and visited Bethlehem. The pros*
pect of being appointed to a civil offlce-
in Charleston, S. C , led him to set out
thither in the late autumn of 1744 Be-
fore doing so, however, he placed'
his daughter in the boarding school
at Germantown (founded by the
Countess Benigna von Zinzendorf. Here
she remained about a year, and was
then transferred to the boarding school*
established at Nazareth in May of 1745.
During the summer of 1746, the small- pox
broke out in the school, and among those
who fell victims to this loathsome disease
was Rebecca Burnside, who died after an
illness of two weeks, on the evening of
August 12, and was buried in the "Indian
Grave-yard, " so called.

Early in 1745 Mr. Burnside left Charles-
ton for New York, and in May proceeded
to Bethlehem, where he was admitted to-
church membership. On August 19 he
was married to Marij Wendover (m. n.
Peterse), widow of Hercules Wendover,
one of the first friends of the Brethren to
the city of New York and members of the
congregation.

At the Synod which assembled in PhiK
adelphia in August of 1746, Mr. Burn-
side offered himself for service in his
adopted Church, and was employed in
the Domestic Mission, especially in Eng-
lish districts. He made several journeys-



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



117



into New England and New Jersey, and
in January of 1747, with Leonard Schnell,
went to the vicinity of Albany and Can-
ajohari, where dwelt numbers of Ger-
mans and Irish Presbyterians, and where
they itinerated for three months, notwith-
standing the Indians were devastating the
country. His last field of labor was in
Walpack and the Minisinks (1748-9),
where he preached with great success, and
when he withdrew fiom the Mission ser-
vice it was much to the regret of the
Church.

In 1749 he bought a tract of 860 acres
of land, lying on the west of the Mano-
kasy, above Bethlehem, about 235
perches west of the site of the Indian
villiage of Nain, and in July moved into
his house, which had been erected by
workmen from Bethlehem. Here he
formed until he died.

On the erection of Northampton
County, in 1752, Mr. Burnside was
elected the first member of the Assembly ;
William Craig, Sheriff, and Robert
Gregg, Peter Trexler and Benjamin
Shoemaker, County Commissioners. The
election was held at Baston for the whole
county, and Burnside was known as the
"Quaker candidate," and his opponent,
William Parsons, as the "Proprietary
candidate." He was elected by over 800
majority. On October 14th he;tookhis
seat at Philadelphia, and from an ex**
animation of the votes of the Assembly
we find that during the two sessions in
which he served he took an active part in
all the deliberations and was a
member of some of the most
important committees. With Benjamin
Franklin and other prominent members,
he was on the Committee for "Striking
£20,000 to be made current and emitted
on Loan, and for remitting and continu-
ing the currency of the Bills of Credit of
this Province," and on the Committees
for "Indian Affairs," to "Audit and Set-
tle the Accounts of the Province/' and
"Amendments to the Charter of the
Province."

At the election in 1754 he was defeated
by William Parsons, who, writing: under
date of October 2 to Secretary Richard
Peters, states : "Mr. Burnside is going
from place to place, beating hfs breast,
declaring he would serve the country to



the utmost of his Power if he was
chosen."

Mr. Burnside died on his plantation
August 8, 1755. "His body was brought
into Bethlehem," writes the diarist, "and
bis neighbors who attended filled the
Chapel to overflowing, so that many had
to stand outside. Rev. Abraham
Reincke kept the funeral services. The
body was carried to the grave by ten of
our Brethren, preceded by the boys and
trombonists, and followed by Justices of
the peace, male and female neighbors,
the widow accompanied by two Labour-
esses, the sisters and girls from the
school."

Some time subsequent to the death of
her husband Mrs. Burnside removed to
New York, where she died in January of

1774. JOHN W. JORDAN.



NOTJBB AND QUJBRIE8.
Utetortoa),Blograpblcal and Q«n«tlogleal.

CLXX1IL

Cook. —James Cook, of Donegal town*
ship, Lancaster county, d. in 1773, leav*
ing a wife Mary and children :

1. Janus.

iL John.

Hi. David.

to. Boreas.

v. Margaret

His brother, David Cook, was executor
of the estate. Col. Jacob Cook, of Derry,
was also a brother. What became of
this family?

CLARK FAMILY.

John Clabk came from the north of
Ireland and settled in New Castle coun-
ty, now in State of Delaware, prior to
1760, where he died in October, 1768,
He left two sons:

L William Clabk, b. 1785; d. March
5, 1818; removed to Le acock township,
Lancaster county , in 1750, where he
purchased several hundred acres of land.
He never married; was a colonel in the
Revolutionary war. He sold his lanis in
Lancaster county and removed to Cum-
berland county, Pa, but died at his
brother's, Brice Clark, sr., In Donegal,
Lancaster county, and is buried at Done-
gal church.



Digitized by



Google



118



Historical and Genealogical.



II. Brice Clark removed to Leacock
township about the same time as bis
brother and purchased several hundred
acres of land He married Margaret,
widow of Robert Anderson,* of Lea-
cock, about 'be year 1781. He after-
wards removed to Donegal and pur-
chased the large farm from James Ander-
son, which had been formerly owned
by Lazarus Lowrey, who waa
an Indian Trader. It was

purchased after Lis death from his execu-
tors by his son Col. Alexander Lowrey,
who was also an Indiin trader. During
the Revolutionary war he sold this farm
to Mr. Anderson, for Continental money
which was worthies*. This is the same
farm now owned by Hon. J. Donald
Cameron, who purchased it a few years
ago from James Brice Clark, a grandson
of the subject of this sketch. Brice Clark
was a prominett Presbyterian, and when
he came to Donegal he was chosen Ruling
Elder of Donegal church, a position he
held until his death. He was a very ac-
tive and prominent citizen. I find that
he settled up a number of estates. In the
year 1794 he was elected a member of the
Bute Legislature. His wife died April
27, 1818, aged seventy years. He died
Novembei 7, 1820, aged eighty one years.
They had the following children :

t. Bdeabeth, b. 1781; d. in 1814, unm.

ft. Jane; m Rev. Samuel Porter, who
d. at Cumberland, Md. , January 8, 1818
aged 28 years. She died at her brother
John Clark's, on the Cameron farm, June
16, 1842, aged 60 years. No issue.

Hi. John, b. 1786; d. February 18, 1860;
m. Mary Hamilton, daughter ot James
Hamilton, of Salisbury; she was b. in
1798, and d. August 14, 1880; their chil-
dren were:

1. Jamee Brice.

2. Margaret; d. unm.

3 John WtlUam; b. Oct 5, 1819; d.
Dec. 15, 1865.

to. Brice, Jr. ; d. March 24, 1883, aged
46 years; unm.

John Clark was the principal land sur-
veyor in Donegal for many yean, and
was Ruling Elder and clerk of Donegal
church for many years.

Samuel Evans.

*Robbbt Anderson, of Leacock, left



a widow Margaret (who married sec-
ondly Brice Clark, of Donegal). Their
children were:

i Jamee.

ii. Margaret.

W. Robert.

ie. Rebecca.

9 Bar all.

This family removed from Maytown to
Washington county, Pa., in 1801.

YE OLD KM TIMES.



I. The Inns or Taverns of Harrlsbnre;.

[The following notes were made some
ten years ago, by a correspondent, who
has passed from earth. We give them as
written by him, hoping to supplement
the articles.]

Taverns on Faxtaas Street.

A tavern was kept many years ago in
the two-story brick house— now at the
corner of Eleventh and Pax tang streets —

by Rbeem, who owned and built the

house. Our older citizens, living at this
daU(1878), relate, remembering the
Rheem's, of the trained dogs the sons had,
which were hitched to a wagon end fre»

?uentlv driven through the town. I think
heard my mother say that An. Rheem
sometimes drove them. G. W. Harris
says the dogs were afterwards taken to
Baltimore or Philadelphia and sold. The
Rheems were spoken ot with respect
The property is now owned by theGreena-
walt Brothers.

Crnrad Knepley kept a tavern on Pax-
tang street, opposite Second street, having
the portrait of General Jackson swinging
from the post, and the words "Gen. Jack-
son Tavern Inn' 'encircling. Mr. Knepley
was a straightforward, honest, industrious
citizen, but often laughed at lor the pro-
nunciation of many ot his English words,
not being able to master the language as
well as others. He owned and had a
wagon and five or six horses on the road,
hauling merchandise. He also filled the
office of High Constable, and was a terror
to evil doing boys, who scattered as soon
as the wcrds were given, "here comes
Old Cooney." The bouse is yet kept as
a tavern by the widow of Louis Koenig,
deceased, and owned by his heirs, as the
"Paxton Hotel."

The sign of the ''Spread Eagle" was



Digitized by



Google



Historical and QenealogiccU.



119



owned and kept by Nicholas Ott. Mrs.
Ott was a Miss Kissecker, from Camber-
land county, and a sister of Mrs. Abra-
ham Oyster. The house remains in its
original condition to-day, at the north
corner ol Paziaog and Front streets, and
is now owned and used as a store and
dwelling by R'.chard Hogan. This
tavern was a popular resort for wagons
and drovers, its eligible location to Har-
ris' Ferry and Ford brought it a large
business. Nicholas Ott was a popular
landlord and had a wide reputa-
tion on the main line of Turnpike.
He was the father of Col. L. N. Ott,
George Ott and Mrs. Jacob Dock, de-
ceased. The house had several landlords
since that time, among them Messrs.
Grosb, Brumbaugh, Richaid Hogan,sen..
dec, who purchased the property and
conducted the business until his death.
Mr. Hogan was popular as a landlord — a
jovial, kindhearted gentleman. It may
be here stated that this property was
originally owned by Nicholas Ott's father,
who built the frame bouse, the son adding
the brick addition. PaxUng street was
originally the old Harris' Ferry road.

The 'Black Horse" was opposite, cor-
ner of Paxtang and Race streets. The
building, a large log and weatber-boarded
house, is being removed, having come
into the ownership of the School Board,
now known as the Harris school house.
It was built by John Harris, Jon., for the
residence of his son, Robert, who lived
there many tears, and the following sons
were born there: John, David, George
Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Af-
ter Mr. Harris removed to the stone man
sion of bis father, the house was rented
as a tavern, and was the Ferry House.
The occupants were Messrs. Peters,
Smith, and one other not remembered,
who were succeeded by Simeon Westfall,
Brumbaugh, Mrs. Nell, George Trullinger
and Peter Miller. The latter sold it to
the School Board. This and the former
tavern were regular wagon stations, and
had extensive yards and stables. The
writer recollects when a boy of seeing so
many wagons that had put up for the
night that they were extended up the
bank as far as the grave of John Harris,
and the boys of the neighborhood were
glad to assist the drivers in cleaniiig their



horses so as to earn a few cents. It is
said large numbers of wagons, horsemen
and travelers were compelled to ramain
for several days at these hostelries during
the time that ferrying was stopped by the
ice and floods. My parents related the
difficulties and dangers often experienced
at such times. When the ice was not
sufficiently strong to carry the wagons
and horses together, the load was re-
moved from the wagon, one horse was
hitched to the end of the fifth chain, and
the empty wagon was drawn over; then
the remainder of the loading was taken
across on sleds. It was no unusual cir-
ca Distance fcr men and horses to break
through. thence. The method for proving
the strength of the ice was for the ferry
men to walk, carrying their long poles
at a balance in front of them, and with
an axe ascertain the thickness, and thus
lay out the road. In case of tfce ice
breaking they sprang out by the use of
their poles. There was also great delay
and danger during very high water;
then they were compelled to start
a distance above and with long
oars, land at the lower end of the
island; then work the flat upon the other
side until they reached the head of the
island, and make a landing on the
western shore. The same labor and
danger was repeated coming back. It
was no wonder that people desired a
permanent bridge to come and go when
they chose. Previous to the building of
the bridge, the lower end of Front
street was the most desirable place for
business. Harris* Ferry was owned by
the County of Dauphin, after the found-
ing of the Town, and the privilege of
the ferry was sold yearly to the highest
bidder. A'.l the cattle, horses, sheep and
hogs were driven then, and nntil they
were carried by rail. During low water
the cattle were driven through the
water. Then the noise of the drivers
urgiog their animals through the water
could be distinctly heard over most of
our then quiet town. It was the men en-
gaged in these pursuits who resorted to
the "Spread Eagle" and "Black Horse"
taverns.



Digitized by



Google



no



Historical and Genealogical.



MOTB0 AMP QP «B1B».
Butorloal, Biographical and Genealogical.

OLXXIV.



Montgomery.-— Archibald Montgom*
ery, of Derry township, d. in 1773. In his
will he directed R >bert Ramsey and Bar-
nabas Quinn, of Derry, to sell his real
estate. His children were:

i. Archibald.

ii. Mary; m. Robert Walker.

Hi. [a dan ] ; m. Samuel Hannah.

Adam Woods, of Leacock, was the ex-
ecutor, and probably a brother of Mrs.
Montgomery.

Freight Chahges Seventy Years
Ago. — It may interest our readers to com*
pare the freight charges of seventy years
ago with that now charged on the main
thoroughfare between Philadelphia and
Pittsburgh. In 1817, it is stated, that in
the course of twelve months 12,000
wagons passed the Allegheny mountains
from Philadelphia and Baltimore, each
with from four to six horses, carrying
from thirty-five to forty hundred weight.
The cost per carriage was about $7 per
hundred weight, in some cases as high as
$10 to Philadelphia. The aggregate sum
payed for the conveyance of goods ex
ceeded $1,500,000. To move a ton of
freight between Pittsburgh and Philadel-
phia, therefore, cost no leas than $140;
and took probably no less than two
weeks' time. In 1886 the average amount
received by the Pennsylvania railroad for
the carriage of freight was three quarters
of 1 per cent a ton per mile. The dis-
tance from Ph'ladelphia to Pittsburgh is
285 miles, so that the ton which cost $140
in 1817 was carried in 1886 for $2 27. At
the former time the workiogman in Phil-
adelphia had to pay $14 for moving a
barrel of flour from Pittsburgh, against 28
cents now. The Pittsburgh consumer

Said $7 freight upon every 100 pounds of
ry goods brought from Philadelphia,
which 100 pounds is now hauled in two
days at a cost of 14 cents.

THE O'BBISSA FAMILY.

From the American Volunteer of Oar-
lisle, for Thursday, February 19, 1824,
the following notice is copied :



"It is with much regie t that we have
to announce the death of our worthy
fellow citizen, Oapt. Richard O'Brien, of
North Middleton township. Re died at
the city of Washington, on Saturday
night last, at eleven o'clock. Among
other public trusts confided to him was
that of Consul General for the United
States at Algiers."

Captain Richard O'Brien was of Irish
origin. His father, William O'Brien (son
of Henry O'Brien), was born in the town
of Mallow, county of Cork, April 28.
1728, but came to America, and in 1757
married Rebecca Crane at Roaslc, In the
Kennebec district, Maine, and Richard
was born there in 1758. His father died
there November 15th, 1762, and was
taken and bu«ied in his native town of
Mallow, Ireland. Following his taste
and talent the son became familiar with
the principles and ptactice of navigation,
and his career was that of a very remark-
able man. Possessing naturally a vigor-
ous mind and ardent temperament, these
were enlarged and strengthened by a
seiies of events the most interesting and
diversified. He was in succession an ac-
tive and experienced seaman, an intrepid
and successful adventurer in the priva-
teering exploits of the American Revolu-
tion, and a brave commander in the regu-
lar naval service of his country. In
1785, however, he was captured by the
Turks, and for a long time held in servi-
tude by the Dey of Algiers. Duri a g seven
years he carried the chain aBd ball, and
then the Dey relieved him of this evi-
dence of bondage, as an expression of
bis gratitude, for an act of prompt kind-
ness rendered in an emergency to the
governor's daughter. As he measurably
conformed to the requirements of the
Koran, as well as rendered himself useful
to the Dey and his family, he was treated
with increasing leniency and respect.
He then wrote to Mr. Jeflerson in regard
to his condition, and desired recognition
and relief. Hence, in 1797, he was ap-
pointed by Washington Consul General
to Barbary. This position he held for
eight years, and the merit of his public
services was officially acknowledged by
three successive Presidents. He was the
first Consul of the United States to Bar-
bary, and the first person who there



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



191



raised the American flag. In 1805 be re-
turned to his native land, and made Phil-
adelphia hie family residence. But he
resumed and continued his sea- faring life,
in which occupation two of his sons en-
gaged, and one of them was lost at sea.
Id 1810 he purchased a farm from General
Irvine, a short distance from Carlisle,
Pa , and there afterwards had his home,
becoming a worthy farmer, enjoying the
respect and confidence of his fellow citi-
zens, and was a member of the Legisla-
ture. After a life of varied usefulness
and abounding in romance, he died when
in Washington city, February 14tb, 1824,
aged sixty-six years, and was buried in
the Congressional Cemetery.

He married Elizabeth Maria Kobinson,
of Carlisle, England, and married her in
Naples, Italy, at the residence of her
brotner, who was then and there serving
as English Consul. By this marriage he
had eight children, four sons and four
daughters; four of whom were born on
Turkish territory; seven lived to adult
years; six of these married, and most of
them left issue. The Commodore's chil-
dren are now all dead, and his widow
died in 1858. But he has several grand-
children, Ac., living in Carlisle, Phila
delphla, New York, Ac. His children
wer* the following:

1. Elizabeth Maria, married Mr. Jona-
than Holmes, near Carlisle, and has
four children living, one of whom is
married. The eldest daughter of the
Commodore joined the First Presby*
terian church in Carlisle, February
10, 1821.
£. Charlotte Robineon, married Mr. John
McGinnis, Jr., Carlisle, and has one
daughter living and married.

3. George Afrieanue, seaman, married a

daughter of Dr. Atlee, of Philadel*
pbia, and had seven children.

4. Gabriel Auguttue, seaman, and lost at

sea, married Elizabeth Watketson,
of New York, but left no issue.
6. Leonora, married Charles Jack, Esq ,
of Philadelphia, but afterwards re-
moved to New Yoik, and are the parents

of Mrs. Ives ot thai city.
6. Richard Henry, married Miss Allison,
of Philadelphia, and had eight chil-
dren. He died at Centreville, Cum-
berland county, Pa.



7. Joeeph, a young lawyer of Philadel-
phia, where he died, aged 21 years,
but never married. A devoted
Christian
S. Helenora. died in childhood.

After the Commodore's death, the O'-
Brien farm was sold to Mr. Hershey; but
it is now owned by Jacob Whitman, and
adjoins the Poor House farm.

Col. George McFeely. of Carlisle, father
of Gen. Robert McFeely, Commissary
General oi the United States Army, was
the executor of the O'Brien estate.
Carlisle. j. a. m.



» OLDKN TIMliiS.



Tavern* on Front Street.

A tavern was kept in a two story log
and weatherboarded house between Hise
and Lauman's brewery, and the residence
0/ Adam Zimmerman, now a three story
brick dwelling owned and occupied by
Wm. E. Cowden, No. 805 South Front
street. David Harris, Esq , did not re-
member what was on the sign, but stated
that a Mr. Weitzel kept it It has been
given by others as. the sign of 'The
Bell."

The sign of the "White Swan" was
owned and kept by Valentine Egle, sr,
on the north corner of Front ana Mul*
berry streets. Tbe house was of brick,
three-stories in height, and was consider-
ed a large building in that day. Its
patronage was mostly from persons doing
business on the river and bad a good rep-
utation from its source to tide water.
Prior to the construction of canals and
railroads in this State, all the productions
of the Susquehanna and its branches
were transported in large arks, which
were constructed of pine plank*. They
were about 16 feet wide and 80 feet long
and fonr or five feet in depth, pointed at
each end, and were governed by a large
oar at both ends. Frequently two, three
and four were lashed together. They
could float safely only when the water
was rather high. They carried wheat,
corn, flour, whisky and coal. Robert
Harris, sr., constructed a large, substan-
tial storehouse on the river bank below



Digitized by



Google



m



Historical and Genealogical.



the Ford at Paxtang street, and a stone
wharf on the water aide, to transfer the
produce of the surrounding country into
arks and boats to he carried to Baltimore,
and it is said was a successful enterprise
of the time. The building was long



Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 20 of 81)