France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 21 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 21 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


known as the "Red Ware House" and
was removed only a few years ago to ex-
tend Front street.

Another means of transportation of that
day and during low water when the raft-
ing season was oyer was by flat-bottomed
boats. These vessels were canoe shaped ,
and propelled by means of setting poles ,
placed at the shoulders of men who'
walked on each side on a walk made for
that purpose. By this means produce of
all sorts was carried down the river, and
merchandise conveyed back. It was the
only way storekeepers in the upper
towns received their goods. These men
patronized the ' Swan Tavern." Unfor-
tunately on the early morning of the 14th
of July, in the year 1819, this house with
others was destroyed by fire, it is sup-
posed by an incendiary, whD fired • the
stable, and which communicated to the
house. Mr. Egle then moved into the
house now No. 207 South Front street,
where he died.

About the year 1791 Mrs. Stehley, who
shortly before buried her husband, pur-
chased the lot on the south corner of
Front street and Cherry avenue from
Robert Harris and erected a log weather-
boarded house where she kept a tavern
for several years. An examination of
the old mansion will convince any one
that the interior was planned for that

Surpose. It was afterwards bought by
teorge Kunkel, who commenced store
keeping there. It was also the house
where George and Bernard Geiger began
their first store. John Lemer subse-
quently moved from Third and Market
streets and kept a tavern. Mr. Lemer
married a widow— Mrs. Yarnick. His
children were Dr. Lsrue Lemer, John
and Tobias, and daughters Elizabeth,
who married John A. Fisher, Esq., Mrs.
Jesse Winsor, and Mrs. Nancy Hamilton
of Lancaster County. The house is now
in possession of, and the residence of Mrs.
David Harris and is No. 117 South
Front street.
The sign of the "Rising Sun," at the



south corner of Front and Chestnut
streets,, was owned and kept by John
Bigler. Mr. B. had a good reputation as
a landlord, and his house was well patrons
ized by the usual travellers of that day.
It was a popular stopping place for. lum-
bermen. Mr. Bigler was an uncle to ex-
Goveroor WillUm Bigler. The stabling
was on the corner of Cherry alley, and
was afterward converted by William Al-
lison into the three dwelling houses now
remaining. There was a cobbled stone
pavement on Chestnut street where the
stables stood.

The "Green Tree" was kept by Jacob
Hoyer, son of George Hoyer, of Market
square, in a two story log and weather*
boarded white house on Front street,
which was replaced by Gen. John Fore-
ter, with a three-story brick dwelling
about the year 1841 or 1842. for a resi-
dence, now No. 7. Mr. Hoyer married
Lucetta Brua, a sister of Gen. Simon
Cameron's wife, and died there. The
business was conducted a short time after
by his widow. Mr. Jacob Houser in-
formed the writer that this bad been kept
as a tavern for many years prior.

The "Sheaf of Wheat" at the north
corner of Front and Market streets was
kept at one time by Col- Andrew Lee.
The building is yet standing, and has
been occupied for fifty years for stores
and dwelling. It was here where George
and Thomas Gallaher (prominent busi*
ness men of that day did business ) It is
now the property of Mrs. Eliza Hummel.
Col. Lee was a soldier of the Revolution,
and much respected by the people. He
was the father of Col. Washington Lee,
a prominent man, who lived and
died near Nanticoke, Luzerne county.
Col. Lee was succeeded by John Shoch,
who occupied the house for some years
and then built the double brick house ad-
joining on Front street. After the re-
moval of the State Government to Har«
risburg many of the members of the
Legislature boarded with Mr. Shoch. It
was here Isaac Wills, brother of Alexander
Wills, Esq., (who owned and lived in the
stone house opposite the lower end of the
oity in Cumberland county) boarded at
the time of his murder in the store of his
brother, on the upper corner of Front
street and Blackberry alley. Mr. Shoch's



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



&$



sign at the latter house was the "Golden
Sheaf," presumably the same sign which
formerly swung from the corner house.
Among his patrons the writer remembers
seeing Col. Richard M. Crain and
Col. Richard Jacobs, the brother of
Mrs. Jacob M. Haldeman, and others.
Mr. Bhoch was rather a large, corpulent
man, greatly esteemed, and one of the
wealthy men of the town. He was a
shoemaker by trade, and the father of
John, Samuel and Jacob Shoch, and of
Mrs. John Geiger. John was a hatter
and deceased; Samuel is still living at
Columbia, and for many years cashier of
the Columbia Bank; Jacob was a physi-
cian, and is now (1878) residing in New-
ark, New Jersey.

Mr. Francis Wyeth says that a tavern
was kept by Daniel Stine at an early day
in the bouse now owned and occupied by
him, on the north corner of Front and
Locust streets.

NOTJE8 AND QU 1BISB.
Historical, Biographical and Ganaalogtoal

CLXXV.



too True I— A statesman of a
neighboring Commonwealth recently
made use of the following, which is
worthy a place in Note* emd Querist, and
of the attention of its readers: "It is a
very general complaint that our people
are careless of records. The materials of
history are treated very much like the
noble forests, not to be surpassed in
beauty, with which Pennsylvania was
once covered. It is delivered without
mercy, to the havoc of the axe or the
ravages of the devouring flame. The
supply is supposed to be inexhaustible,
and the process goes on until the reckless-
ness of waste is checked by the alarm of
approaching scarcity. We would inter-
pose to protect the remnant of that noble
forest which is threatened with extermi-
nation. We would be happy to lend our
aid in preserving the memory of thiugs
remarkable or interesting in our country,
which are beginning to lose their hold on
living memory. The labors, the trials,
and dangers that have proved the endur-
ance, or exercised the viitue of our
countrymen, are in our eyes, of sufficient



interest to be preserved from neglect.
We would inscribe with a name the
battle fields of Indian and British
hostility; and would fain prevent the
soil that has been watered with blood
poured out in behalf of the Common-
wealth, from being confounded with
common earth."

Esimbb. ob Kibmbb, of Lancaster
county. James Keimer, sr., b. Feb. 28,
1718; d. March 20, 1784; m. first Eliza-
beth ; b. June 22. 1718; d. June 17,

1767; m. secondly August 16, 1775. Sarah
King (Penna. Arch. 2d Ser. Vol. II.)
who had a sister Ann King, who mar*
ried, it is supposed, Sept. 18, 1770, Wil-
liam Davis. Sarah Keimer d. in 1810.
Mr. K. settled in Earl township, Lancas-
ter county, Pa. His will is dated March
28, 1784; and his children were;

% David ;b. Aug. 20, 1744; d. June 10,
1746.

U Thoma*;b. Nov. 0, 1746; m. and had
5 children ; what were their names ?

wt. John; b. Feb. 25, 1748; d. Oct. 17,
1751.

4v. James; b. Nov. 10, 1751, m.

Davis, and had 8 children, names un-
known.

e. Elizabeth; b. June 17, 1756; m. Join
White, and had James, Mary and Elisa-
beth.

ef Lydia; b. Feb. 20, 1760; m. John
Davis, brother of the wife of James.

Information desired of the Keimer
family. ****.

Col. Thomas Cahpbrll — The fol-
lowing obituary notice is taken from the
Carlisle Herald of Thursday, January
26, 1815, and credited to the Adams Sen-
tinel— a paper published in Gettysburg
by Robert Harper:

"Died, suddenly, on the 12th inst., at
the house of Wm. Gilliland, Esq.. near
Gettysburg, Col. Thomas Campbtll, of
York county. He was a firm advocate
in the cause of American freedom, not in
theory alone, for he fought and bled t
He endured the hardships of the cam-
paign of '75. continuing in the service
until the battle of German town, where a
ball, when he was in the act of taking
aim at the enemy, passing through his
wrist entered his breast and was extracted



Digitized by



Google



m



Historical and Genealogical.



at the opposite side. From the effects of
this wound he endured throughout the
remainder ot his life many severe indis-
positions, terminating at last in dissolu-
tion. He has left a numerous connexion
to lament the sudden removal of his af-
fections and his care."

The Campbell farm, originally in Mon-
aghan township, York county, but now
in Carrol), was sold after the Colonel's
death, and was bought by Col. Henry
Logan. Thomas Campbell, jr., lived for
years in Dillsburg, a widower, with four
-children, three daughters and a son —
Ann, Matilda, Isabella and Jamep. But
subsequently they removed to Ohio, and
there the father died. The children,
more or less venerable, are all living in
Cleveland. Ann, who first married 8am
uel W. Sidle, in Dillsburg, is a widow,
without children ; Matilda 8. married
John DeVtnney, Esq., and has a family;
Isabella never married ; James married
and has a family. The writer officiated
at the marriage of Ann in April of 1843,
and at the marriage of Matilda in March
-of 1858. In 1875 he visited them in their
pretty home at Cleveland, and has been
kindly visited by them. J. A. m.
< i^i »

CONTRIBUTIONS TO PKNN8KLYANIA
BIOGRAPHY.



Mitchell, David.

David Mitchell, soldier, son of John
and Agnes Mitchell, b. July 17, 1742, in
Cumberland county, Pa. ; d. May 25,
1818, on the J an lata, now Perry county,
Pa. ; was in the Provincial army under
Forbes and Bouquet as a subaltern officer,
served in the war of the Revolution, and
was major of Watts' battalion at the bat-
tle of Long Island; appointed by Gov.
McKean, in Mav, 1800, brigadier general
of the militia of Cumberland and Frank-
lin counties; represented his county in
the General Assemby continuously from
1786 to 1805, and was a Presidential elec-
tor in 1818 and 1817.

Montgomery, John.

John Montgomery, b. July 6, 1722, in
the north of Ireland, of Scotch parentage;
d. Sept. 8, 1808, at Carlisle, Pa, ; came to
America about 1740; entered mercantile
pursuits; served in the Forbes expedition



of 1758, his captain's commission in the
Third Pennsylvania Battalion bearing
date May 7, 1758; was chairman of the
committee of observation for Cumberland
county in 1774; appointed by the Con-
gress one of the commissioners to hold a
treaty with the Indians at Fort Pitt in
July, 1776; was Colonel of a battalion of
Aasociators in the Jersey campaign of
1777; elected by the General Assembly to
the Continental Congress in 1782 and
1788; one of the burgesses of Carlisle in
1787, and commissioned an Associate
Judge of Cumberland county in 1794; he
was ostensibly the founder of Dickinson
College, Carlisle, and a public spirited
citizen. His sod, John Montgomery, was
Mayor of Baltimore, Attorney General
of Maryland, and a representative in
Congr



Marks, William.

William Marks, son of William, b.
Oct. 13. 1778, in Chester county, Pa.; d.
April 10, 1858, in Beaver. Pa.; his parents
removed to Western Pennsylvania in
1788; a tanner by occupation; called into
public life in 1809 by election to the Gen-
eral Assembly, serving in the House of
Representatives until 1814; from 1821 to
1825 was in the State Senate, being
Speaker of that body duting his entire
term, and elected U. S. Senator in 1825,
serving until 1881; he was a brigadier
general of the militia, a gentleman of
sterling worth, and a conspicuous per-
sonage in Western Pennsylvania.

Sturgeon, Daniel.

Daniel Sturgeon, son of Henry Stur-
geon, b. Oct. 27. 1789, in Adams county,
Pa; d. July 2, 1878, in Uniontown, Fay-
ette county, Pa. ; was educated at Jefierson
College, from which be graduated ;studied
medicine under Dr. Stevens, of Fayette
county, and in 1818 began the practice of
medicine; in 1818 chosen a member of the
Pennsylvania House of Representatives,
serving three terms; in 1825 elected to
the State Senate, being Speaker of that
body the last three years of his term; in
1830 was appointed by Governor Wolf
Auditor General of the State, which
office he filled six jears; in 1888
and 1889 was State Treasurer
and ended the "Buckshot war" by re-



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



125



taring to honor Governor Ritner's war-
rant for payment of the troops; in 1840
was elected U. S. Senator for the term
•commencing March, 1889; in 1845 re«
elected to that body, his last term expir-
ing March 8. 1861; in 1858 President Polk
appointed him treasurer of the U. S.
mint at Philadelphia, a position he held
until 1858: although when in Congress
he was called the "silent Senator.' he
was considered a hard-working commit-
tee member; never made but one speech,
that to re-iterate a remark he made in
committee, which was wrung from him,
"Any Senator who says anything which
would tend to the disruption of the Union
is a black-hearted villain." During the
forty years of his active life, he was an
unflinching Democrat, but his honesty
and integrity was of the strictest kind.

• m m
YJB OLUEH TIMttS



III. The Kariy Inaa or Taverns of Harris-
bars;.

Teveree oa Second Street.

The "Buck" Inn was kept by Captain
Jeremiah Reese in the two-story brick
house, now remaining at the lower end
of Second street, east side, almost ad**
joining the bridge over the canal, the
road being where it is, previous to making
the canal. The property was owned by
Mr. Reese, and came through his first
wife, a daughter of Casper Smith, who
established the tavern. The "Buck" inn
was a favorite resort for the men compos-
ing the best society of that day as a place
for playing ball and other innocent
games. The ball alleys of that time, as
they were called, consisted of a high
weather«boarded fence, at which the ball
was thrown and caught as it rebounded.
Capt. Reese was a nun much respected,
and of means at one time, but was un*
fortunate and became reduced by some
investments with the late Doctor James
Agnew. He commanded a company of
volunteers in 1812 from this place. He
was a toll gate keeper for many years for
the old Market street bridge on the west
side of the liver. He was married three
times and had several children, the eld*
48t is now living, Cyrus J. Reese.

The next tavern above was owned and
•kepi by John Lintermuth, at the corner



of Second and Vine streets. The bouse
is yet standing, a large log and weather-
boarded building now owned and occu-
pied by Mrs. Fritchey, and is No. 838
South Second street.

John Daman built and kept the sign
of "Sampson and the Lion," said to have
been a good painting. This tavern was
only a few doors above Mr. Lintermuth's,
a two story brick house. It was kept by
others after his death. Mr. Dumars is
the grandfather of those of that name
now liviog here. The Tavern House
was on part of a full lot, with a side
yard. It was purchased a few yeais
since by Martin Erb, who removed the
old building and erected several three-
story brick houses on the ground. It is
No. 324 South 8econd street.

The sign of the "Mermaid." This was
owned and kept by Jackson Watson.
The original house is yet remaining on
the eorner of Second street and Wash-
ington avenue. Formerly there was no
street there, but Harris alley terminated
a short distance above. Mr. Watson
was an Irishman and married Miss Wentz
who survived him many years. He must
have been a successful man as his estate
was considerable after his decease. His
children were Alexander, and two
daughters, one of whom married Mr.
Bergstresser.

The "Green Tree" was located on the
east side of Second street, second house
belo v Mulberry street, and was kept by
Mr. Enepley, the father of Conrad and
John Eepley. It was, as usual, a log
and weather- boarded house. The other
landlords are not known. The building
is now No. 307 South Second street It
was afterwards discontinued as a public
house, and Joseph Spring kept his store
there for some years. Mr. Spring was a
German, had two sons, Joseph and Amos,
and a daughter who married Philip Linn.
He afterwards removed to the property
now owned by George H. Bell, at Second
and Chestnut streets.

The "Harp" was kept by Jimmy Mc-
Namee, in Mulberry street near Second.
The house was a large two story log struc-
ture, and was a stopping place for Irish-
men at that time. The building was re*
moved to open a private alley now there
The house was afterwards occupied for



Digitized by



Google



126



Historical and Genealogical.



many years by John Fries as a soap and
candle factory.

The "Seven Stars" Inn was on the
east corner of Second and Chestnut
streets, a doable two-story brick boose,
having a side yard and stabling in the
rear. It was built and kept by Jacob
Fridley for many years, and until his
death, when his widow Rebecea kept it
for a long time. This was a well man-
aged house and had a large patronage.
It was a resort for the numerous peddlers
of that day and also for horse drovers,
and for the farmers of the surrounding
country. As churches were less numer-
then than now, many were the weddings
held in the plain side parlor, and by the
Rev. George Lochman, D. D., who re-
sided only a few doors below. Gigs
were the conveyance then in general use,
and it was a familiar sight to see two and
three gigs arriving at the "Seven Stars"
containing wedding parties. Most of the
journeymen printers and batters boarded
there, and when the weather was pleas-
ant they had much amusement around
the doors. Mr. Fridley left three daugh-
ters, namely, Susan, Maria and Rebecca.
The first married Jacob Oeiler, the second,
Henry McGowen, and the last, William
Brenizer. The tavern was continued after
Mrs. Fridley retired by these sons-in-law.

Col. Jacob Seller kept the house irom
1886 to 1888. William Brenizer then
kept it until about 1846, when Henry
McGowan took charge, the last of the
sons in-law. It was afterwards kept by
Samuel Freeborn, Jacob Scholl, and lastly
by Daniel Wagner. In 1868 or '69. Jacob
Singer purchased it, and converted it into
a grocery and wholesale queens ware
store. It yet belongs to Mr. Singer, and
has been occupied as a furniture store for
some years. It appears Mr. McGowan
was there twice, as a Mr. Jameson kept
it during the interval.

The "Fountain" Inn, on the north
corner of Second and Chestnut streets,
was kept in 1821 by John Walborn. The
building was a large two story log and
weatherboarded ; the stable was on Chest-
nut street, on the corner of Church alley,
which then ran from Cherry to Black-
berry alley, the gable end fronting the
street. The writer does not know who
kept it prior to that time, and supposes



Mr. Walborn was the last landlord. This
house was, however, previously occupied
by Messrs. General John Forster and
James Montgomery, Esq., as a store, and!
at one time by James Alricks as a store.
Mr. A. was the father of Herman and
Hamilton Alricks and Mrs. Ovid John-
son. Mr. Alricks lived there in 1813.
Mr. Herman Alricks stated that the post-
office was kept in this house at an early
day. The old house was removed twenty
years ago, and the present brick building
erected bv George and William Bell.
William Bell, sr„ purchased it from
Joseph Spring. It is now No. 82 South
Second street. Mr. Jacob Zeigler, who
died July 1, 1868, aired 96 years, stated
that he came to Harrisburg in October,
1794, with a knapsack on his back, and
stopped at this tavern, then kept by John
Horter— that he could not get accommo-
dated on account of the house being full
of soldiers and others on their way to
quell the Whisky Insurrection. The bar
room was full of them, drinking and
having a Jolly time. He then went to
Zeigler's tavern, in the Square. Mr. Z.
afterwards married Mr. Horter's daughter.



NOTBS AMD QUERUE8.
Historical, Biographical and Goncalofftaal.



OLXXVI.

Eablt Family.— A record of this
family is now being prepared for speedy
publication by some of the descendants
of Johannes Oerhley or Early. Any in-
formation relating to these will be thank-
fully received by the £ditor;of Note% and
Qm&rus.

That Old Clock.— The daily news*
paper press of this city recently an-
nounced the existence of a clock "manu-
factured in Harrisburg 114 years ago by
A. Hill." Life Is almost too short to
correct everything which appears in
print, but this statement ought not to re*
main uncontradicted. In the first place
if the clock is marked A. Hill it was not
made until 1809 or subsequent. Arundel
Hill succeeded his father, who died in
1809. The latter, Samuel Hill, came to
Harrisburg in 1785, establishing himself in-



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



m



business here, which be ooatioued until
his death, on the 6th of November, 1809.

SH4LL FAMILY OF YORK.

The recent death of George H. Small*
Eeq , of this city, brings to oar attention
the following memoranda :

Lorenz 8chmabl arrived at Philadelphia
from the Palatinate in September, 1743,
and took the oath of allegiance to the
Provincial Government, as the records in
the office of the Secretary of the Com-
monwealth here show. He came with a
wife and several children, sons and daugh-
ters, and died a few years afterwards. His
children were Jacob, John, KUlian and
lawrence, with several daughters, whose
names I do not remember.

Jacob was the father of Col. Jacob
Small, of Baltimore.

John removed to Beaver county, Penn-
sylvania, soon after the Revolutionary
war, and left a numerous progeny, whose
descendants are still there.

KiUian remained in York, and had sons
John, Jacob, Michael, George, Peter, Jo*
seph and Henry — no daughters. Of
these children, Michael settled in Balti-
more, and wss the father of Joseph
Small, of that city, lately deceased :
•George was grandfather of George of
Baltimore.

LawroncB, also remained in York and
left several sons and daughters.

h. c. w.



•DAVIS FAMILY OF OBKSTKR
LAMOASTJBR OOONTIB8.



AND



David Davis, Sen., of Chester county,
Penn'a, had:

I. David, Jr. He removed to Mill
Creek, southeast corner of East Earl
township, Lancaster county, where he en-
gaged in merchandising, and was styled
•'Shopkeeper." He contracted March
$8, 1760, to pay John Davis, yeoman, of
Big Springs, Lancaster county, £50, con*
tract witnessed by David Davis, Sr., and
Thomas Davis. He and Meredith Dar-
lington bought lands in Frederick county,
Va., of Abel James, Philadelphia, of
which 600 acres on Pearis (Parishes)
Run, he sold or gave to his eldest son
John. His will probated at Winchester,
Va., April 7, 1790, names wife Margaret,
sons John and Gabriel, a nephew, John



Darlington, making all four his executors'
only the widow and nephew qualified.

He m. Margaret ; their children

were:

f\ John, K Oct 8, 1746; d. April 6,
1810; m. Lydia Keimer, daughter of
James Keimer, of Lancaster county, and
had issue:
1 David

2. James K.

3. Mary.

4. Elizabeth.

5. David J.

6. Gabrisl.

7. Thomas E.

8. John P.

9. Bees Harvey.
10 Horatio Gates.

11. Moses H.

12. Lyda L.
IS. Wm King.
14 George H.

it Gabriel.

Hi [ A dau. 1 ; m. James Keimer.
iv. David.
t> Ihomns

II. Mart Davis; m. William Darling-
ton, of West Nantmeal township, Chester
county. Will dated Sept. 17, 1757; pro-
bated in Chester county Oct. 6, 1757.
Names of children as follows, his wife
and son. Meredith, being executors:
f. William,
ij Meredith
Hi. John,
h Joseph.
e. Robert.
Gabriel Davis, of Earl township, Lan*
castt r township, assessor 1780; juryman,
1783; member of provincial council 1776;
was doubtless of this family and brother
of David Davis, sr. Information is very
much desired concerning the early re-
cords of this family. * * * *

C We beg to refer the foregoing to our
friend 'Squire Evans, of Columbia.]

TUB DEED TO PAXTANG QLBBB.

[We are indebted to William Swan
Rutherford, Esq., for a copy of the deed
to Paxtang congregation. It will be seen
that the original warrant for that tract of
land upon which the church was built
was granted as late as 1744, while the right
and title to the church glebe was not



Digitized by



Google



128



Historical and Genealogical.



given to the congregation until ten years
afterwards. Why tbis neglect, and why
a church should have been erected there-
on prior to gain of title is difficult to com-
prehend. However, we are convinced
of one important fact, that in 1754 a stone
meeting house, the present structure, had
been erected. We have always been of
the opinion that the stone building had
been erected prior to 1750. Be this as it
may, the following is an important docu-



Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 21 of 81)