France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 54 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 54 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


New York concerning the revolutionary ser-
vices of Gen. Jacob Morgan, of Pennsylva-
nia, we would refer the writer to volume thir-
teen of second series of the Pennsylvania
Archives, under * 'Philadelphia Associators."

Early Ubb of Coal. — "In an interesting
little work on 'Coal and the Coal Mines/ by
Homer Greene, Esq., of Honesdale, I found



the following statement on pp. 46 and 47 :
In 1776 the proprietary government of Penn-
sylvania had an armory at Carlisle, in that
8tate, iu which they were manufacturing
fire arms to be used by the Continental
troops in the war with Great Britain ; and
the first coal ever sent out from the Wyo-
ming Valley was shipped by them to Car-
lisle during that year and the succeeding
years of the war for use in their armory."
As I could not recollect any rcention of an
armory at Carlisle, and failing to find any
note of it, I wrote to Mr. Greene, and he
writes that he found the fact in Pearce'e
AnndU of Luzerne County \ p. 366, and in
HoUUter's History of the Lackawanna Valley,
p. 335. But Wright in his Historical
Sketches of Plymouth, in the chapter on the
Coal Trade, &c , agrees with the commonly
accepted story that the first cargo of anthra-
cite ever offered for sale was by Abijah
Smith, in the fall of 1807. I am much in-
terested in both the armory at Carlisle, and
the coal shipment stories, and hope you may
be able to give some light on the matter.

Allegheny City. L o.

[The authorities referred to in the fore-
going are somewhat out of the way. On tbe
25th of November, 1780, tbe Congress "Re-
solved. That all the artificers in tbe depart-
ment of military stores in Pennsylvania le
removed to Carlisle, and that in future only
an UBuing store and an elanoratory for fix-
ing ammunition be kept in Philadelphia."
Immediately thereafter CoL Blaine was
directed to prepare stores, etc., for
the troops, and during the month of
December, 1780, nearly all the artificers were
sent to Carlisle. The barracks erected by
the Hessian prisoners confined at Carlisle,
now the site of the present Indian training
school, were occupied by these men, and over
whom Captain Worsley Ernes, a skilled arti-
ficer, was placed in command. The location
is named in private letters of the period as
Washington borough and Washingtonville.
There is no doubt that coal from Wyoming
was there used in the casting of
cannon, as it could have been
more readily brought down the river
Susquehanna in batteanx, than the hanling
of sea coal from Philadelphia for that pur-
pose. It is well known that provisions were
taken op the Susquehanna, and as coal was
then known and probably mined, the bat-
teanx in returning evidently conveyed the
same to Kelso's ferry, opposite Harriaburg.]



Digitized by



Google



S8t



Historical and Genealogical.



A BAPTISMAL ft KG 1 4TB ft.

II.

Jacob Bender and wife Elizabeth, child b.
24 Aug., 1820; bap. 11 May, 1823. Name,
Henry, opon., parents

Jacob Bender and wife Elizabeth, child b.
10 Oct, 1822; bap. 11 May, 1823. Name,
Catharine Anna. Spon., parents.

Daniel Niedenauer and wife Catharine,
child b. 20 Oct., 1822; bap. 31 May, 1823.
Name, Mattie. Spon., Margaret Thomas.

Christian Blessing and wife, child b. 18
Oct, 1822; bap. 17 Ang.\ 1823. Name,
Man Magdalen. Sp., parents.

David Killioger and wife Lena, child b. 9
March, 1823; bap. 27 July, 1823. Name,
Levy. Spon., Thomas Wier.

Benjamin Deininger and wife Margaret,
child b. 5 Nov., 1823; bap. 30 Oct, 1823
Name, Franzisca. Spon., parents.

Leonard Deininger and wife, child b. 12
Dec, 1823; bap 7 Apr., 1824. Name John.

Adam Ney and wife Susanna, child b. 14.
April; bap. 17 April, 1324. Name, Eva
Catharine. Spon., parents.

George Baaer and wife Mary Forsler,
child b. 6 Sept., 1823; bap. 19 April, 1824.
Name, Maty. Spon., parent?.

George Gnthman and wife Rlizabeth, child
h. 27 Nov., 1823; bap. 16 May, 1824.
Sponsors, Jacob Gnthman and wife.

George Lang and wife Catharine, child b.
19 Jan., 1824; bap. 23 May, 1824. Name,
George. Spon., parents.

J >hu Schneider and wife Sarah, child b.
1823; bap. 15 Aug., 1824. Name, Jacob.
Spon., parents.

John Merz and wife, child b. 16 Sept.,
1824; bap. 14 Nov., 1824. Name, Sarah.
Spon , Christian Loescher.

Frederick Staily and wife Susanna, child
b. 17 Oct. 1818; bap. 14 Nov., 1824. Name,
Adam.

Daniel Merz and wife Mary, child born 1 6
Feb., 1825; bap. 27 Feb., 1825. Name,
Isaac

George Haner and wife, child b. 6 Janu-
ary, 1825; bap. 4 December, 1825. Name,
Samuel. Sp., parents.

Anton Carmine and wife, child b. 23 Jane,
1825; bap. 14 Aug., 1825. Name, Benja-
min. Spon., parents.

Daniel Dawny and wife Anna, child b. 7
Aug., 1825; bap. 28 May, 1826. Name,
John Adam. Spon., Adam Neu and wife.



John Killinger and wife Margaret, child
horn 28 Aug., 1825; baptized, 4 Aug., 1826.
Name, Sar^h. Sponsors, parents.

Peter Henry Rothaermel and wife Sarah,
child b. in November, 1825; bap. 19 Aug.,
1826. Name, Peter Henry.

Daniel Niedenauer and wife Catharine,
child b. 21 March, 1833; bap. 29 June, 1833.

Martin Zorn and wife Elizabeth, b. 7 July,
1832; bap. 6 June, 1833. Name, Jacob.
Spon., parents.

Jacob Fnchs and wife Nancy, child b. 15
Sept, 1832; tap. 24 June, 1833. Name,
John Henry. Spou., Anna Killinger.

Melchior Riegert and wife Elizabeth, child
b. 23 May, 1833; bap. 14 June, 1833. Name,
Elizabeth. Spon., parents.

John Ellinger and wife Elizabeth, child b.
13 Marrft, 1832; bap. 4 April, 1832. Spon-
sor, Christian Kuntz.

John Manlfer and wife Elizabeth, child b.
17 March, 1831; bap. 27 Aug., 1832. Name,
Susan Sponsors, parents.

Micatl Deininger and wife Margaret,
child b. 3 Nov., 1833; bap. 20 Jan., 1834.
Sponsor, parents.

George Oehrle and wife Catharine, child
b. 17 March, 1834; bap, 9 Oct, 1834. Name,
Rose. Sponsor, parents.

Sarah Zimmerman, child b. 24 July, 1834;
bap. 9 Oct, 1824. Name, Martha. Sponsor,
mother.

George Seider and wife, child b. 9 Oct,
1839; bap. 7 Nov., 1839, Name, Caroline
Barbara. Sp , patents.

Fe easier and wife, child b. 12 Nov., 1840;
bap. 11 June, 1842. Name, Barbara. Spon.,
mater.

Mechanicsburg, May 26, 1844. Edward
Laraont and wife Margaret, child b. 15 Oct,
1844; bap. 21 Dec, 1845. Name, John.

Augustas Heil and wife Anna Elizabeth,
child b. 4 May, 1844; bap. 26 May, 1844.
Name, Hermina Margaret Sp., parents.

Jacob Brechmacher and wife Margaret
Dorothea, child b. 1 Feb., 1844; bap. 26
May, 1844. Name, Sophia Dorothea. Spon.,
Scheibner and wife.



PATTERSON FAMILY.



I.



James Patterson, or Pattison, the head
of the family of whom we now write, is said
to have come from Salisbury, England, by
some of his descendants. This seems to haw



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



888



i tradition, and entirely untrustworthy.
I am not of this opinion. I infer from many
•characteristics running down through several
generations of this family, which Beems to
have been peculiar to those of Scotch-Irish
•origin ; and in the absence of positive proof
I am led *o infer that this family came from
the North of Ireland. Having mentioned to
tome friends that Mr. Patterson was sup
posed to have been of English origin they
expressed surprise, and P* S. P.
Conner, Esq., of Philadelphia, a son
of the late Commodore Conner, caused an
inquiry to be inserted in "Notes and Queries, "
an English publication, which brought in
answer a very interesting letter from George
Higgins, dated at Maidenhead, Berks, Eng-
land, December 26th, 1884, wherein he gives
the names of a Pat ti son family cf English
origin. As a matter of interest which may
possibly give a clue to the family which
lieads this article, I give it herewith:

"James Pattison, a prominent silk mer-
chant of Congleton, Cheshire, and London,
was born in 1676, and died March 22d, 1761.
He married a daughter and co-heiress of Na-
thaniel Maxey, of London, Lord rf the
Manor of PlumBtead, by Abigail, daughter
and heiress of Samuel Crisp, who died March
21, 1770, aged 80, and is buried with her
husband at Pin instead, county Kent Their
•children were:

i. Nathaniel, of Congleton and London,
who died April 22, 1784, aged 70, and is
buried at Pin instead. He married Chris-
tiana, daughter of Robert Gray, of West-
bane. County Sussex, who died Feb. 11,
•1805, aged 75. She was born atPlumstead.
"They had the following issue:

1. Nathaniel Maxey, born April 22, 1761,
and died in 1818; married Helen,
daughter of Roger Comber back, of
Chester, Fon of Roger Comber back by
Margaret, only daughter aod ultimate
heiress of Edmond Swetenhnm, of
Somerford, High Sheriff of Chester,
1707. They had but one child, an
only son, James Pattison, of London,
Governor of the Bank of England
and M. P. for the city of London.

2. James; b. Sep. 5, 1762; d. 1831.
S Samuel; b. Feh. 24, 1769.

4. Mary.

ti Samuel of Congleton, d. May 27,
1756, aged 30.

in. Susanna, wife of John Moatin.
, ft* Mary; spinster.



v. James, Colonel of the Royal Regiment
of artillery and Major General of H. M. G.
of Blundon Hall, Kent; d. March 2, 1805,
aged 82; buried at Plumstead; m. Mary,
daughter of General Albert Borgard, Colo-
nel R. A. ; left no issue ; was
Governor of New York for some
time, and called the "General Gov-
ernor." The coat of arms used by the
Pattisons are the same used by the old but
now extinct family of Patishull, of Here-
fordshire. It is possible that the Pattisons
are descended from this family, the name
having been corrupted from Pateshnl."

Jambs Pattbbson was already settled,
and a successful Indian trader in the year
1716, in what was laid out in 1718 as Cone-
stoga Manor, his store and trading post
haviog been upon the farm bow owned by
Michael S. Shuman, at or near the present
dwelling which was built by John Keagy who
purchased the farm from Mrs. iToonolly,
formerly Mrs. Patterson, about the year
1748. There is also evidence that he "had
his plantation on the west side of the Sus-
quehanna river opposite his dwelling as
early as 1716, and that he had ten or a
dozen pack horses running at large upon it
The oorthern boundary of his home planta-
tion was along the northern boundary of
Conestoga manor, and was very nearly
square. His warrant of survey called for
five hundred acres, but through an error of
Mr. Taylor, the surveyor, it actually con-
tained but two hum. red acres. He also had
a farm which joined this tract at the north-
east corner.

Let us for a moment take a glance at his
neighbors at the time we have positive evi-
dence of his living there, in 1716. Martin
Chartiere, the French glover and Iodian
trader, moved his trading post from the
Shawanese town at Pequea about the year
1708 and established his post about half a
mile west from the present residence of Mr.
Have-rstick, which was about half a mile
southwest from vir. Patterson's. The manor
line ran between Patterson's and Chartiere's
land. It is possible that the former, when
yet a single man, was employed by this old
French Indian trader and became bis suc-
cessor in the Indian tt ade. Chartiere died
as early as 1718, and his son Peter, who in-
herited his estate, sold the land to James
Logan the year after his father's death and
moved to the mouth of Yellow Breetches
creek in Cumberland county. Logan sold



Digitized by



Google



384



Historical and Genealogical.



to Atkinson in 1727, who Bold to Justice
Smout, who sold to SUman in 1748.

James Le Tort bad a trading store and
post upon the farm now owned by the Groves
in East Donegal township, near Shock's mill,
which he sold tD James Logan in 1728, and
moved to the spring at Carlisle, thence to
the forks of the North and West Branch of
the Sa8qaehanna river, where he also estab-
lished a trading store. He followed the re-
ceding tide of the Indian population.

Isaac Miranda, a French Huguenot, had a
trading post at the spring upon the present
farm of Samnel G. Engle at Conojr creek.
This was only a short distance north of the
Ganawese or Conor Indian town, which was
situated upon the farm now owned by John
Haldeman.

Jonas Davenpoit* another Indian trader,
also lived close to this Indian town, near
Bainbridge.

Captain Samnel Smith lived upon the ad-
joining farm on the east of Miranda's.

Peter Bizaillon and his wife's brother,
Moses Combs had a post near the mouth of
Conay creek, bnt their permanent residence
was in Cain township, Chester sounty.
Along and near the northwest side of Chickies
creek there were about half a dozen tamilies
of Scotch-Irish Prt sby terians.

Near the Conestoga, John Cartlidge bad
about five hundred acres and a trading post.
He was the son of Edmond and Mary Cart-
lidge, who came from Derbyshire, England,
in 1682, and settled with the Blunstons in
Darby, Chester county, Pa, John was born
at Darby, Chester county, October 25, 1684.
His sister May was born March 6th, 1686.
Edmond, was born March 6th, 1689. Their
father died in 1703. This family, the
Minshalls, Francis Worley, and the Blun-
stons' all received certificates from Darby
monthly meeting in England. This may ac-
count for the close alliance and friendship
between these families in America. John
Cartlidge received a Justice's commission
July 4th, 1718, after he came to the Cones-
toga. The Proprietors gave him permission
to settle near Conestoga Indian town, and
it was at his house that several treaties with
the Indians were held. Edmond settled near
the mouth of Mill Creek, both engaged in
the Indian fur trade, and I believe they were
the only Quakers thus engaged. For some

Sars their trade was principally with the
dians along the Potomac In the spring
of 1721 they killed a drunken Indian who



came into their tent at the Monocacy. They
were thrown into prison at Philadelphia*
where they remained for some months.
The affair was fully investigated, and
through the intercession of several Indian
tribes they were fully exonerated. They
afterwards traded extensively at the Alle-
gheny. William Wright married a daughter
of John Cartlidge, whose land passed into*
'he possession of this family, where it re
mained for one hundred and forty years.
The only descendant of this famiiy in the
locality is Mrs. Wright, wife of the late
manager of Safe Harbor iron works.

Francis Worley, Esq., settled on Peqnea
creek about the year 1718, but did not re-
main there many years. Sou e of his de-
scendants reside at York, Pa.

Christopher Schlagel settled alODg the
Conestoga in 1710, and built a corn and
grist mill in 1713 near the mouth cf a small
stream which emptied into Contsu pa creek,
a mile or two above its mouth. So far as
theie is any record now known, this was the-
first grist mill erected within the pesenfc
limits of the county.

Robert Wilkins and Richard Carter tattled
along the Conestoga in the year 171 1 near
its mouth. In the following year the former
moved up the river and took np the land af-
terwards known as the Anderson farm, and
now owned by James Daffy's heirs. This-
was the ancestor of the Wilkins family who
settled in Donegal, and whose descendants*
now reside at Pittsburgh, William Wilkins,
a son of Robert, was a servant of the Uart-
lidges, and was probably bound to them for
a term of years. He became a prominent
Indian trader.

Richard Carter moved further np the Con-
estoga, and settled along what is known as
Carter's creek, which has its source at Litita
spring. All of the Indian traders had a
number of white servants, and there were a
few white persons who fled beyond the juris-
diction of the court at Chester. There were
also a few — perhaps half a dosen persons —
who settled in Martick, and between that
and the Octorara, under Lord Baltimore's*
patents. These white settlers were the only
ones between the Palatines, along Beaver
creek, and north and east of that, and Mr.
Patterson's on the east, and the few settJera
in Donegal to the northwest

Garland, of Newcastle, and one or two*
other citizens of Maryland, made annual
visits to the Conestoga Indians, prior to*



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



$85



3716 to barter ram for fan and peltries, but
Peon succeeded in potting a stop to their
Easiness. There were several Indian vil-
lages, around which the Indian traders were
wont to cluster



NOTBH AND QUKRIBS.
tllatarleal, m*aT*»kieal an* Gesealaaical.



CCLL



Balthasbb Sees.— In reply to a corres-
pondent we take occasion to say that be was
born September 12, 1760, and died at Harris-
burg, October 31, 1824. His wife Catharine,
whom we remember very well, was boroMarch
17, 1768, aod died September 23, 1855. Both
Are interred in the Harrisborg cemetery.



IN TUB CUMBBRI*4ND ?AI<LBT.

[Some years ago we visited several old
graveyards in the Cumberland Valley, for
ihe purpose of securing information
lelstingtosome of the worthies who assisted
dn making that beautiful valley what it is.
Among other data we collected the follow-
ing J
Fatting Spring, Ohatnbersburg.

Col. John Findlay, h, March 31, 1766; d.
Hov. 5, 1838.

('apt. Benjamin Chambers, b. 1755; d.
Dec 29, 1813.

Co). Patrick Jack, b. 1730; d\ Jan 25,
9821.



Brown' $ MiH

Rev. Matthew Lind, b. Sept. 1731, d.
April 21, 1800.

Jennie Fnlton, wife of Uev. Matthew
DLind, b. 1746; d. April 1, 1819.

James Foe, Esq., b. 1748; d. June 22,
1822.

Joseph Cooke, b. 1722; d. February 8,
1804.

Lazarus Brown, b. 1772; d. December 22,
1842.

John McLene, b. November 13, 1766; d.
.Augost 1, 1849.

Henry Pawling, d. 1761.

Rev. John Lird, b. 1783; d. September
40, 1824.

Moss Spring (Bed) Ohnrch Graveyard.

John Allison, Esq , b. 1738; d. June 14,
1795.



Rev. Robert Kennedy, b. 1777; d. October
31, 1843.

Eleanor Bell, wife of Dr. John McClel-
lan, b 1787; d. November 16, 1827.

Dr. John McClellan, b. 1762; d. June
11, 1846.



Johnston Graveyard, near Shady Grove.

Doctor Robert Johuston, b. July 21, 1750:
d. Nov. 25, 1808.

CoL Thomua Johnston, h. 1745: d. Dec
1819.

Martha Beatty, wife of CoL Thomas
Johnston, d. August 1811.

Elizabeth McLanahan, daughter of Col.
Thomas Johnston, b. 1771: d. March 26,
1829.

William Beatty, b. 1788: d. Feb. 15, 1802.

Johnstoo Beatty, b. 1780; d. Sept 7,
1810.

James Johnston, from the North of Ire-
land, d. AD. 1765; settled on the land on
which he di< d as early as 1735.

» ♦

A BAPTISMAL, RBGIHTBR.



[Prom Ohio, two years ago, we received a
liturgy of the Lutheran church printed in
German, interleaved, on which was written
in good German penmanship a record of
births and baptisms from 1816 to 1844, and
of marriages covering the same period. Be-
lieving that these should be preserved we
have had tbem translated, as they chiefly
relate to this vicinity Th« record is sup-
posed to be that of the Rev. Van iloff, who
was at one time the minister at Bindnagle
chnrch. The entire record will take up a
portion of four or Ave numbers of Notes and
Queries]

David Knnts and wife, Elizabeth, child b.
15 March, 1816; bap. 17 June, 1816 Name
Mary. Spon., parents.

Anton Fiachborn and wife, Magdalen,
child b. 11 May, 1819; bap. 22 June, 1819.
Name, Peter. Spon., parents.

John Greiner and wife, Barbara, child b.
12 Sept, 1818; bap 22 June. 1819 Name,
Jeremiah. Spon , Jacob Fiecbborn.

Daniel Niedenauer and wife, Catharine,
child b. 6 *1 ay, 1819; bap. 9 November, 1819.
Name, Rebecca. Spon., grandmother.

John Herman and wile Catharine, child
b. 16 Sept., 1819; bap. 7 Oct. 1820. Name,
Leah. Spon., mater.



Digitized by



Google



SS6



Hutoncal and Qenealogtcal.



Jacob Selher and wife, child b. 27 Aug.,
1820; bap. 21 Dec., 1820. Name, John
Spon., parents.

Jobn Banman and wife Elisabeth, child b.
3 Dec., 1819; bap. 26 April 1821. Name,
Elizabeth. Spon., Grandmother llnfnagel.

George Gnthman and wife Elisabeth, b.
11 Sept, 1816; bap. 17 Jane, 1821. Name,
Elisabeth.

Jacob Woerth and wife Elisabeth, child
b. 28 Oct 1820; bap. 24 June, 1821. Name,
Joseph. Spon., parents.

George Selzer and wife, child b 17 De-
cember, 1820; bap. 20 Aug., 1821. Name,
Sabina. Spon., parents.

Elizabeth Al berth al with Joseph Fern»ler,
child b. 19 March, 1821, bap. 9 Sept., 1821.
Spon., David Wagner and wife Catherine,

Jacob Kratzer and wife, Christina, child
b. 28 Aug.; bap. 10 Sept 1831. Name,
Catherine Spon., Anna Killinger.

David Killinger and wife, Helen, child b.
20 Sept, 1820; bap. 10 Sept, 1821. Name,
Jacob.

Jacob F« tzer and wife, b. 27 Aug., 1820;
bap. 21 Dec, 1821. Name, John Jacob.
Sp., parents.

Chriatina Hunts and John Allen, child b.

; bap. 11 Sept 1822. Name, John.

Sponsor, mother.

Peter Fahrney »nd wife Mary, child b. 14
July, 1814; bap. 26 Sept 1822. Name,
Peter. Sponsor, John Ranch.

Daniel Conrad and wife Susan, child b.
IS November, 1821; bap. lf> Sept H22.
Name, Henry. Sponsor, Anna Killinger.

William Kassel and wife Elisabeth, child
b. after Whitsuntide, 1822; bap. 17 July,

1822. Name, Berry hill. Sponsor, Wil-
liam Frantz.

Samuel Langel and wite Peggy, child b.
18 Feb, 1822; hap. 37 July, 1822. Name,
David. Sponsor, David Schuev.

John Killinger and wife Margaret child,
h. 12 December, 1822; bap. 16 January,

1823. Name, Christian. Spon., Henry Fit-
ting and wife Mary.

John Oebrly and wife, child b. 18 Dec.,
1822; bap, 16 Jan., 1823. Name, Christian.
Spon., Michael Palm and wife.

George Schnod and wife Catharine, David,
b. 6 Nov., 1819; George, b. 17 Apr., 1821;
both children bap. 12 Feb., 1823. Spon.,
Parents.

Casper Dascber and wife, child, b. 13
January, 1823; bap. 22 March, 1828. Name,
Solomon.



George Guete and wife Elisabeth (maiden-
name Fitting), child, b. 22 July, 1822; bap.
IS April, 1823. Name, George. Spon.,
Henry Fnchs.

Peter Brecbbill and wife Jane, child b.
17 Msrcb, 1820; bap. 16 April, 823. Name,
Elisabeth- Anna. Spon., parents.

James Bender and wife Catharine, child
b. 7 Feb.; bap. 17 Mas 1823, Name, John.
Spon., Elisabeth Bender.

David Bael and wife Mary, child b. 10
March, 1823; bap. 11 May, 1823. Name,
Catharine Anna. Spon., mother.

J scab Bender, son of John and Msry Ben-
ner, b. 6 Dec, 1791; bap. 11 May, 1813.

James Bender, son of John and Mary
Bender, b. 2 December, 1799; bap. 11 May,
1823.



HARRiSBURtt IN 18S8-184C



lit



No further movement was made in the
matter until March 1839, when the borough
authorities again came forward, aod after
procuring the passage of a second act of as*
sembly, proceeded nnder its provisions to
build the necessary works. On the 18th day
of Se. tember 1841, the chief engineer, T.
Erdman, Esq., flirt announced to the Town
Council and citizens, the final completion of
the Harrisburg Water Works, and at an
early day thereafter the pure element was
ready for general use.

The original cost of the construction of
the water works, is given In this connection :

Water house, inlet, &c, $13,543 53

Reservoir, leoces and grounds,. . 14,528 82

Carpenter work and lumber,. . . . 1,793 72

Labor. &c, 11,681 47

Blacksmith work, 1,086 93

Incidentals. 68, 110 99

Removing grave yard, 447 49

Engineering, 3, 1 13 66

Printing, 101 37

Real estate, 4,487 54

Ireasurer, Clerk, Ac. (pay of),. 1,525 00

Fence at water house, 6c., 88 50

Total cost $1 20, 459 12

The fourth great event of the period em-
braced within our sketch was the enlarge-
ment of the boundaries of the borough
northward. Previous to 1838 the boundary
lines of Harrisburg were the Paxtang creek



Digitized by



Google_



Historical and Genealogical.



887



on tbe east, the western shore of tbe river
on the west, and South street on the north.
The reader, mnst not, however, suppose that
this territory was all improved. On the
contrary, considerably more than half of it
was vacant meadow or swamp land. Vax-
tang street was the southern limit of im-
proved property. The south side of this
street was pretty generally bnilt npon; the
north side contained only a blacksmith shop
and the tavern property still standing near
the corner of Vine street. But few build-
ings stood on the west side of Second street,
between Paxtang street and Vine, and fewer
still on the east side. Indeed, with the ex-
ception of the brick building yet standing
at the corner of Second and Paxtang streets,
a boat-yard and a couple of rickety old yel-
low frame buildings near where the rail-
road formerly crossed the street, there
we r e no other buildings on that side
until Meadow Lane was reached, the
interval being occupied by an immense pond
of water, which extended back between the



Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 54 of 81)