France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 55 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 55 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


railroad and Meadow lane to a point oppo-
site Raspberry alley. The west side of Sec-
ond street, from Vine northward, likewise
contained very few dwellings, but north of
Meadow lane both sides were built up regu-
larly. Front street was pretty generally
built up from Paxtang to Pine streets — all
north of that was vacant to Maclaysburg,
that portion of the town north of South
street The eastern limit of tbe built up
portion of the borough at this period are
somewhat more difficult to define, owing to
its ragged edges. Some general idea may be
formed of it, however, by reverting again to
Meadow laae, and following it op to Market
street. The only buildings east of this lane
were a large bank-bam at the foot of Rasp*
berry alley, the Harrisburg. and Lancaster
railroad car shops at the foot of Mulberry
street, four or five large frame warehouses
on the caoal, and the small railioad depot
at the foot of Market street East of the
canal to the foot of tbe ridge was meadow
and swamp land. The west side of Meadow
lane as already stated was principally oc-
cupied by stables and barns quile to Chest-
nut street North of Chestnut street were
the grave yards of the Lutheran, German
Reformed and the African M. E. churches.
These extended to Fourth street, and up to
and in the rear of the present Lutheran
church edifice, to very near the present Fifth
street There were only a few scattered



buildings and wood -yard* in Meadow lane,
north of Market street. The northern limits
of the built up portion of the borough was
Walnut street eaat of the cipiiol, and Third
and South streets. The building* on the
former street were few and far apart ; and
there were but five b dldingson Third t»treet
north of Walnut to the borough limit* on
South street. South *treet at thi* time was
a miserable muddy lane, occupied principally
by stables. ea«t of Sec »nd ntreet, and a few
one-story tenements went or that srreet.

Such was a general outline <»f the dimen-
sions of the town previous ro 1838 In that
year an act of Assembly -van panned ex 'end-
ing the limits of the borough t.» the present
line of Her- street, th'u* raking in the vil-
lage of Maclays>urg, a collection of some
twenty odd building* lying between South,
Second and North afreet*, and na u^d aft* r
Wm. Maclay, a son-in-l w of rhe founder of
Harri8bnrg. True, ihi* annexation aided
very little to the huiu totai of < ur popula-
tion, or to the number of our building*, yet
it gave us a large portion ol very detdraMe
tern tor v for future improvement At this
time, we do not recollect of more thai; half
dozen dwelling hou*e* u«»rth of arket
street and ea*t of the Capitol, and tbeae
were confined to High s reet; the ratterson's) plantation upon
the west side of the river, which, he believed
if successful, would endanger nib right to
his land. He communicated his fears to
Governor Kieth, who hastened up with his
Surveyor General, and arrived on the 4th
day of April, 1722, at Mr. Patterson's store,
where he met Philip Syng, a silversmith of
Philadelphia, who had some time prior to
that, taken out a patent from Lord Balti-
more for two hundred acres of land,
which he located eigh. miles west from the
Susquehanna river at a point near or above
Wrightsville. Syng seems to have located
his laod for himself and company. A num-
ber of persons prior to his locating had
been prospecting for mineral lands, and it is
supposed that this land contained iron ore or
some other valuable minerals. Governor
Keith saw at once that this land woold likely
prove to be a bone of contention, and be
crossed the river aod directed the Surveyor
General to survey five hundred acres
of land by virtue of a patent from
the Penns to himself. The tract
embraced Syng*s land, and Syng was ar-
rested in Philadelphia and compelled to give
bail or answer for his conduct. He called
this tract Newberry. Ou the 18th day of
June, 1722, the Governor commissioned Col.
John French, of Philadelphia, Francis
Worley who lived at Pequea, and James
Mitchell, Esq , of Donegal, to Burvey a
manor over the river which was to contain
le ven ty- five thousand acres of land. The
nrveyors commenced at a point opposite
Conestoga creek, and ran back about ten
miles, thence twelve miles northwest, and
ibout eleven miles to the river.
In the year 1719 the Southern Indians
came North to fight the Cayugas, and after
having dm en them North, returned to the
Susquehanna and abused the settlers very
much ; they killed a number of Mr. Patter-
son's cattle, and some belonging to other



Digitized by



Google



890



Historical and OenealogxccU.



settlers, robbed his store, and offered him no
compensation for W« <"wi« or cattle. The
adherents of Lord Baltimore grew bolder
and bolder, and gradually worked their way
up on the west side oi the river. They car-
ried ont Lord Baltimore's policy towards the
Indians, and treated them in a brutal manner,
and made no attempt whatever to conciliate
them, nor did they pay the slightest
regard for the claims they had
to the land. The Indians made frequent
complaints to the Governor of Pennsylvania
on account of' their harsh treatment by these
settlers. Mr. Patterson knew very well that
if the Mar j landers succeeded in getting a
firm foot-hold on the west Bide of the river,
his possession of the plantation in Conejohela
Valley would be jeopardized, and his trade
with the Indians along the Potomac cut off
entirely, as he was compelled to keep a large
number of pack horses upon the west side of
the river. He had a number of men em-
ployed in his business, who under his direc-
tion were able to prevent any open acts of
hostility to him or his interests. He was
always plain spoken apd aggressive in his
manner.

The Maryland authorities discovered that
their settlers would likely "be left," unless
more aggressive measuies were adopted to
drive out or deter settlers who desired to hold
their titles from the Peons. In the month
of March, 1730, Captain Thomas Cresap,
who had a ferry over the river Susquehanna,
at the head of navigation, was commissioned
a justice of the peace for Baltimore county,
and received a patent for a ferry. Thus
equipped, he and and his cousins, the Lowes,
and several other Marylanders came up the
river and settled along its rigi t bank,
and took up the land adjoining Mr. Pat-
terson's plantation. Cresap established the
"Blue Rock Ferry," and took up the large
islands in the river, which were designated
in his patent as the "Isles of Promise."
He took up two or three hundred acres
on the west side of the river. In the latter
part of September, 1731, Captain Civility,
chief of the Conestoga Indians, came to
Lancaster to see the magistrates, who were
there to assist in raising the court house,
when he informed them that several Mary-
landers were settled by the river on the west
aide at Conejohela; and that one Cresap
particularly was very abusive to the Indians
when they passed that way, and that he beat
and wounded one of the Indian women



who went to get apples from their own treev
and took away her apples. Samuel Blun-
ston, Esq., reported this affair to the Coun-
cil, and he added in a P. S. that when-
James Logan was last down, he said he
would be glad if Cresap conld be taken. He*
added, that we have now just cause to ap-
prehend him for breach of law in entertain-
ing and protecting a bound servant belonging:
to one of our people, and threatens to shoot
any person who fchall offer to take away said
servant. He thought Cresap could be taken.

In October, 1731, a signal gun was fired
at Blue Hock, which brought Cresap and a
debtor of his named Samuel Chance over
in his ferry boat, and when they
landed they saw Edward Beddock, and
and Rice Morgan and a colored man, ser-
vants of Edward Cartlidge, Esq., and
thought they wanted to go to the west side of
the river. Having rowed out about seventy
yards from the shore Beddock and Morgan
threw Cresap into the river, who after-
making a desperate struggle to regain his
boat escaped to the island opposite the Blue
Rock, from whence he was rescued by an
Indian and taken to bis home. Chance,
who Mas an escaped ssrvant of Cartlidge V
was taken to Lancaster and placed in prison.
In retaliation Cresap arrested Mr. Patter*
son's, Cartlidge's and Cornishe'a ser-
vants, whenever he canght them on
the west side of the river. James Tatterson,.
jr., was taken and confined in Cresap'a block
house.

In November, 1732, John Lowe, and his-
sons Daniel and William, shot several of
Mr. Patterson's horses. Mr. P. made com-
plaint before John Wright and Samuel
Blunston, who issued a warrant for the ar-
rest of the Lowas, and placed it in the hands-
of Charles Jones, constable of Hempfield,
who resided in Grist Valley. He took *
ponse of a dozen peruana and went to Lowe'g
house in the night of November 26, 173
and arrested the defendants and brought-
them over the river on the ice. Cresap at-
tempted to rescue the patty, but failed.
They ware released on their own recogni-
sance to answer at court in Lancaster.

Ciesap and bis gang continued to kill
Mr. Patterson's horses, until he had none
left on the west side of the river. In addi-
tion to these outrages, the Marylanders
squatted upon his land, which they pretended
to have taken np under Maryland patents.
Disputes between the parties grew hotter and



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



891



hotter. Cresap was reinforced by several
hundred armed militia; and Sheriff Samoei
Smith, of Donegal, who had a warrant for
Cresap'8 arrest for shooting Knowles Daunt,
a servant of John Ross who owne4 the east
end of Bine Bock ferry, called upon his
Scotch-Irish neighbors of Donegal to assist
him. The Sheriff of Baltimore county un-
der tbe lead of Cresap, kept arresting Penn-
sylvanians until they had as many as nine-
teen in the jail at Annapolis at one and the
same time.

"Cresap's war" was fairly under way,
both sides losing a few killed, a number
wonnded and taken prisoners. Mr. Pat-
terson was a great sufferer, his businsss
having been ruined, and most of his stock
killed. He made a determined but
fruitless effort to recover possession of his
land on the west side of the river, and drive
back the increasing tide of Marylanders.
Cresap's arrest did not take place until the
latter part of November, 1735, being about
two months after Mr. Patterson's death,
which was doubtless hastened by the trou-
bles brought upon him by the Marylanders.
His son James had been imprisoned by
Cresap two or three times. Mr. Patterson
left a widow Susanna surviving him, and
the following issue:

i. James.

ii. Sarah; m. Captain Benjamin Cham-
bers, founder of Chambersburg.

Hi. Susanna; m. James Lowrey, the In-
dian trader.

it. Rebecca; m. George Poison,

v. Thomas; who was but three years of
age when his father died, and lived until he
was six years of age.

Mr. Patterson and his wife held their
lands in the Manor as joint tenants. James
received three hundred acres of land at
"Counecocheek," which was probably near
his brother-in-law's land, at now Chambers-
burg. I have not been able to discover when
or to whom he conveyed this land. Thomas
received the homestead farm in Manor.
After his death his mother purchased the in-
terest of her daughters in the land,
and became sole o wner. Each of
the daughters received one hundred
pounds. At the time of their father's
death the daughters were under
sixteen years of age. Sarah was married (o
Mr. Chambers about the year 1739 or 1740.
Susanna was married about the year 1741 or
1742, and Rebecca, the youngest daughter,



was married in 1748 or 1749, and was a
widow with one child when her mother died
in 1753. James the eldest child, bad prob-
ably attained bis majority about the time of
his father's decease.

Susanna, the widow of Mr. Patterson,
was a remarkable person, and she seemed to
transmit traits in her sons which made them
military beioes. James Patterson became a
very prominent officer in the French and In-
dian wars. By her second husband, Thomas
Ewing, whom she married in the
year 1736, she had a son James,
who became a prominent general in the Rev-
olutionary W«r, and also occupied varfous
official positions in the civic service, which
he honored. By her last husband, Dr. John
Connolly, who she married In the year 1742,
she had one son, Dr. John Connolly, who
became a Tory in the revolutionary period.
He held a colonel's commission from Lord
Don more aod was made commandant and
governor at Pittsburgh, which he named Fort
Dun more. He also held a colonel's com-
mission in the British service. He was a
brilliant and dashing officer, and it was a
very unfortunate circumstance for himself
and his country that he took the wrong
side in that struggle for freedom.
He might have attained a very high place in
the Patriot army, and been the recipient of
a grateful people's highest gratitude. What
caused his disaffection to the American
cause will never perhaps be known to a cer-
tainty. In 1768 be went with CM. Wilkins,
who commanded tbe Royal Irish Regiment,
to Kaska^kia, Illinois, where Wilkins be*
came' )mmandant and Governor of the
Britisu forces, which had taken possession
of the Freoch Forts a few years prior to that
time. He embarked intbe Indian trade at that
place on an extensive scale, and in two or
three years lost everything. He returned to
Pittsburgh, over which Virginia claimed ju-
risdiction. He became a favorite of Lord
Dunmore, Governor of Virginia, who sided
with the British Government in its struggle
with the colonies. His surronndings were
intensely disloyal to America. The only
clue to the name of his mother's family is
given in * 'Olden Times * and other histories of
Border Life in the West where he is spoken
of as the nephew of Cot George Croghan,
the great Indian trader. His mother was a
sister of Gordon Howard, Indian trader.

After the death of her third husband, Dr.
Connolly, in 1747, she removed to Lancaster



Digitized by



Google



392



Historical and Genealogical.



Borough, where she remained until her death
in 1753. She left a large estate, which was
divided between her children. James
Wright, of Wright'8 ferry, was appointed
guardian of John Connolly, her youngest
child. He was bound to Dr. Cadwalader
Evans, of Philadelphia. Among other be-
quests she left a sum of money to bnild a
wall around the burying ground at the old
Donegal church, and a sum to build a wall
around the grave-yard attached to St James*
Episcopal church in Lancaster. I presume
from this fact that she had friends bnried
in both places. Samuel Evans.



NOTES AND QUBRlKfl.
Historical, Biographical and Genealogical.

COLIV.



Findley, William, of Westmoreland
county, who figured »o conspicuously in the
early history of Western Peunsylvania, we
learn was a native of the Cumberland Val-
ley and in the War of the Revolution was at
the battle of Crooked Billett, under CoL
Findlay of Cumberland county.

Meohanicsburg.— The first postmaster
of this thriving and prosperous village was
Henry Stonffer, appointed in 1814, when the
first postal facilities were given to the town.

Bbetz, Ludwiq.— We are pleased to
learn, from a circular sent us, that Mr.
Par the more, author of the "Par the more
Genealogy," has in press a limited edition
(100 copies) of the descendants of Ludwig
Br*tz, an early settler in Lykens Vallev.
Persons connected with this family, as we'll
as Pennsylvania Genealogists, should secure
a copy of the little volume.



A A1AKRIAUE REGISTER.



H.



1825.

Aug. 4. John Fahrny and Elizabeth
Strom, of West Hanover, Dauphin county.

October 13. Abraham Gekman and Bar-
bara An^elmeyer, of Swatara township,
Dauphin county.

October 20. Peter Zimmerman and Cath-
rine Wallmer, of Annville, township, Leba-
non county.



1826.

Jan. 2. Peter Guete and Catharine
Frankford, both of West Hanover township,
Dauphin connty.

Feb. 19. Samuel Focht and Eva Ging-
rich, of Lebanon connty.

March 9. Emanuel Feensler and Catharine
Stehlig, of West Hanover, Dauphincouaty.

March 30. John Schaefer and Lydia John,
of West Hanover, Danphin county.

April 25. Samuel Stirwig and Derky
Schuy, of West Hanover township, Dauphin
county.

January 25. Samuel Vaugkin and Catha-
rine Clentennon, of Hanover township, Dau-
phin county.

August 3. Jacob Hufnagel and Catharine
Keefer, of Dauphin county.

Sept 3. Jacob Fnchs and Nancy Bicker!
of T<ondonderry, Lebanon county.
1827.

Aug. 26. Jonas Umberger, of Lebanon
connty, and Catharine Blanch, of Danphin
connty.

January 18. John Knntz, son of Jacob
Koutz, of Hanover township, Dauphin
county.

Feb. 10. John Brnner and Margaret
Seltzer, of Jonestown.

March 29. William Poor man, of London-
derry, Dauphin county, son of Henry Poor-
man, and Elizabeth Palm, of Lebanon
connty, daughter of Michael Palm.

April 2. John Hershy, son of Mathias
Hereby, of Londonderry township, Lebanon
county, and Elizabeth lmboden, daughter of
Philip lmboden, of Annville.

May 3. John Kosach and Anna Prestel,
of Danphin county. Witness: Samuel
Guthman.

June 17. Jacob Stehlig and Lydia Loeb,
both of Hanover township, Lehanon county.
Aug. 5 Daniel Lehman and Mary Schad,
both of Derry township, Dauphin connty.

July 1. John Ranch and Mary Miller,
both of East Hanover, 'Dauphin county.

October 21. Christian Hershy and Eliza-
beth Blessing, both of Danphin connty.

Nov. 18. Aoraham Boyer and Mary Kie-
fer, of West Hanover, Dauphin connty.

Nov. 22. Peter Schnabely and Margaret
Boyer, of Annville township, Lebanon connty.
Nov. 26. Janes Todd, son of George
Todd, aud Catharine Selzer, daughter of
Jacob Selzer, both of West Hanover, Dau-
phin connty.



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogtcal.



S9S



4*28.

April IS. Jacob Scbaerk and Marj Zim-
merman, of East Hanover township, Leba-
non county.

May 18. David Stiebig and Elizabeth
Schmidt, both of West Hanover, Dauphin
-county.

June 1. John Koenig and Susan Ferusler,
Ait Londonderry, Lebanon county.

July 13. Jacob Mueller and Elizabeth
Kunm, of Londonderry township, Lebanon
county.

July 31. George Schneider and Elizabeth
Horst, of Palmstown, Dauphin county.

Aug. 31. William Palm und Susanna
Franz, both of West Hanover, Dauphin
county.

Nov. 11. Anthony Blessing and Mary
Hofmann, both of Derry township, Dauphin
^county.

Nov. 27. John Miller, son of Michael Mil-
ler, and Elizabeth Cassel, daughter of Eman-
«el Cassel, of West Hanover, Dauphin county.

March 29. David Schnebly and Catharine
Houpt, of Annville township, Lebanon
county.

March 12. Mary Mueller and Sarah Ham-
perly, of West Hanover, Dauphin county.

March 29. Peter Hacker and Nancy Welt-
man, of Londonderry township, Lebanon
•county.

CAPTAIN JAMBS PATTERSON.



.Ploaeer Mfe



m the Susquehanna aad
J Batata.



James Patterson was born on his father's
plantation, in Conestoga Manor, in 1715,
where he remained assisting his father in the
Indian trade, and upholding hie right to
property on the west side of the river with a
vigorous hand against the encroachments of
Captain Cresap and. his gan<? of outlaws,
who held him a prisoner several times in
their fort He remained with his father
until his death in October, 1735, and very
probably remained with his mother until
she married Thomas Ewing, of Donegal, in
1736.

In the same year he married Mary Stew-
Art, youngest daughter of George Stewart,
Esq., who settled upon land (now occupied
"by the lower half of Marietta) in 1719.
After his marriage he removed to Donegal
«nd probably resided with his mother-in law,



who was then a widow, whose other daugh-
ters were married and settled a few miles
away from the homestead, for a few years,

During Cresap's war he frequently shoul-
dered his musket and marched to the relief
of the Pennsylvamans, who were sorely
pressed by superior numbers from Mary-
land. He established a trading post upon
James Le Tort's nine hundred acres tract, a .
mile northeast of what is now known as
Shock's Mills. Le Tort conveyed this entire
tract to James Logan in 1728, and the latter
owned it for twenty years, when he divided
the same and sold it to actual settlers. In
May, 1747, he conveyed one hundred and
fifty-two acres of this land to Peter Haig,
who was then conducting a farm at Chelten-
ham belonging to Logan. This tract was
given to him for long and faithful service.
In May, 1748, Haig and his wife Elizabeth
sold this farm to James Lowrey, who mar*
ried Mr. Patterson's sister Susanna. Mr.
Patterson was then residing upon the farm,
and in the month of September, 1748, he
purchased it, and sold it on the 10th
day of April, 1749, to Lazarus Lowiey,
!}he father of James,

Oapt. James Lowrey sold his farm below
Conoy creek, upon which tbe Ganawese or
Conoy Indians had their town, and moved to
the Juniata with bis brother-in-law, Capt.
James Patterson, about tbe year 1754. He
and his brother, Daniel Lowrey, took up
2,000 acres of land at Frankstown on the
Jpniata. Both were officers in the French
and Indian wars. Capt. James Lowrey died
in 1761. Daniel Lowrey and the sons of
the two brothers built a foit below Franks-
town in 1778 to prevent attacks from the
Indians James Lowrey married a second
time, 1 think to the daughter of Capt.
James Smith, who also moved to the Juniata
in 1754.

In the years 1744-5 the Indians at
Conoy, having removed to Sbamokin
(Sunbury), there was no longer a necessity
for an Indian store, where he then
lived, and like Le Tort and a few other In-
dian traders, who also k»pt store, he con-
cluded that he would follow the receding tide
of Indian occupation. In tbe year 1750 he
headed a company of pioneer settlers to the
Valley of the Juniata, where he took np a
tract of several hundred acres at a point
where the present town of Mexico is in
Juniata county.

In the year 1751 he built a fort for the



Digitized by



Google



$94



Histortoal and Genealogical.



protection of the settlers at the month of
Tascarora Vsllev, then the principal cross*
ing abed by the Indian* in traveling north to
Shamokin, or goiog south to Virginia.
Mr. Patterson was not only in con-
stant danger from the attacks of the savages,
but he occupied an unpleasant position in
relation to the Proprietaries of Pennsylva-
nia, who refused to give him a patent lor his
land because the Indian title to it had not
been extinguished. In fact, all of the set-
tlers along the Juniata and in the* valleys
south of it, were ordered by the Governor
and Council to remove from these rich val-
leys. Captain Patterson, unlike his father,
became very much embittered against the
Peons, and refused to leave his settlement
The impending conflict between the French
and the English soon gave the settlers plenty
to do to save themselves, and the authorities
at Philadelphia and the Assembh after
quareling amongst themselves, and per-
mitting hostile Indians to roam at
large along the frontier, without giving
-the settlers the means to defend themselves,
were brought to a realising sense of their
danger by the defeat of Braddock in Jnly,
1755. There was no time then to be quar-
reling with the pioneer settlers about their
land titles. Captain Patterson probably
commanded a company of rangers during the
Braddock campaign, attached to the Pro-
vincial forces under Captain James Bard,
when they were hewing a road through the
forests and over mountains to the Mononga*
hela. After Braddock 's defeat he did not
flee, like the coward Col. Dunbar, who did
not step with his army until they
arrived in Philadelphia, thus ex-
posing the entire frontiers to
the attacks of the victorious savages. He
hastened with bis brave followers to his fort
and ptepared 10 defend the settlers. He,
and his gallant ton William, then but a boy,
struck back at the Indians whenever they
got a chance. On October 2, 1755, the sav-
ages suddenly apfeared in Tuscarora Valley,
the vicinity of Patterson's Fort and killed
and captured forty persons. Jenny Mc-
Clane, a young girl then residing with a Mr.
Fraaer, mounted a horse with a man and
fled toward the Fort, and when but a short
distance from it, the Indians shot the horse
through the body, when Jenny fell off the
horse and was taken prisoner. The horse
sprang forward and carried the man in safety
to the Fort



The Indians surrounded the Fort, but the
Pattersons defended it bravely and drove
them away. Other forts were surprised and'



Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 55 of 81)