France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 59 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 59 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


time to publish them; therefore he ••con*
eluded that it were better not to insert any. "

Now, what I want to kaow particularly la
who was thu» old-time schoolmaster and
arithmetician? Who can tell whence he
came and whither be went ? That peine*
taking and industrious gleaner of local his-
tory, Samuel Evans, Esq., may be able to
tell whether be belonged to the Maginnese
family that lived in Coleraine township,
Lancaster county, seventy-Ave years ago, or
whether he came of a Chester coanty branch.
Several members of the family emigrated to
Kentucky at an early day. Did the old
schoolmaster follow them, or did he die m
or about Harrisborg ?

John of Lancaster.

Williamsport, Pa.

[In reply to our esteemed correspondent
we give the following biographical sketch.}

Jambs Maoimnms was a native of Ire*
land, born about 1780. He was educated at
Dublin, and at the age of twenty cause to



Digitized by



Google



?/*



Historical and Genealogical.



America, locating in Philadelphia, where he
began the profession of teaching. In 1807
or '08 he was invited to take charge of the
Harrisbnrg Academy, but in 1810 relin*
quished his position there and entered into
mercantile business with his brotber-in-law,
Fred. W. Leopold. Subsequently, about
1814, he resumed school teaching, and all
his energies for a number of years were de-
voted to that calling. It was during this
period that be compiled his • 'System of
Rook Keeping" and the "New Arithmetic,"
both published at Harrisbnrg, and for many
years extensively used as text books in Cen-
tral Pennsylvania. In 1821 Mr. Maginness
was appointed Deputy Surveyor for Dauphin
county. He had previously been surveyor
for several State commissions authorised to
lay out certain roads, as also county bounda-
ries. He studied law at Harrisbnrg and was
admitted at the March term, 1820. His
wife, Ann Leopold, a woman of rare ac-
complishments and lovely disposition, to
whom he was fondly devoted, dying March
18th, 1828, so preyed upon bis mind that he
sank under the affliction and died the 21st of
May, 1829. Mr. Maginness was a gentle-
man of undoubted integrity, an able teacher
and a good citizen.



THB OLD STONB CHURCH AT PAX-
T4NU.

The age of the present stone church
building at Paxtang, has often been alluded
to by Historians of the Presbyterian Church
in America. The date usually given
for the erection of the walls is 1752.
If there are any reasons for this date they
have never been clearly stated. The first
recorded statement in reference to th« build-
ing, so far as we are aware, is to be found
In the deed for the glebe given to the con-
gregation on the 8th day of June, 1754, by
Henry Forster and wife, in which the present
"ttone meeting home" is mentioned. It is,
therefore, necessary to go back of this date
to rind the beginning; but why go back only
two years rather than ten, fifteen or twenty?

It is well known to every one acquainted
with the history of Paxtang, that before the
stone building was erected the site was occu-
pied by a substantial log structure, which
was removed because it was too small to ac-
commodate the growing congregation. The
Rev. John Elder began preaching in the log
church in 1738, and soon found himself
^cramped for room and the congregation in a



prosperous condition. In 1741 the contro-
versy between the Old and New Lights
reached Paxtang, and soon waxed so bitter
that by the 16th ot August, 1745, the New
Light people, comprising almost half the
eongtegation, had not only seceded, but had
completed a church building of their own,
and installed Rev. John Roan as their pas-
tor. Soon after this event, and long before
Mr. Elder'* congregation had time to recu-
perate, the Indians, incited by the French,
became troublesome, and for the next ten
years the people of Paxtang were fully oc-
cupied in tha defence of their homes. It
was during this period that Mr. Elder and
his flock worshipped with their rifles in their
hands. All work upon tbe building seems
to have been suspended, the walls had been
erected and roofei in, and it is more than
probable that it remained in this condition,
with neither floor nor pews, until after the
revolution. In view of these facts, it is not
reasonable to suppose that the congregation
would, in 1752 tear down their old building
and incur the unnecessary expense of a new
erection, and it is, therefore, logical to con-
clude that the stone hoose was erected prior
to 1741, when the numerical and financial
condition of the congregation was favorable
to such a project. Aside from this reason-
ing, we have the positive statement of the
late Thomas Elder, Esq., of Harnsbnrg, son
of Rev. John Elder, under whose auspices
the church was built On the 20th of June,
1852, Mr. Elder paid what was doubtless his
last visit to Paxtang church. The occasion
was the funeral of Mrs. Sarah Rutherford,
widow of William Rutherford, who had
been his life-long friend. After the
services were over, Mr. Elder spent a
short time looking about the old
graveyard, in which, as he said, most of the
friends of his youth and early manhood lay
sleeping, reminiscences of the past crowded
upon him, and as he moved slowly along he
spoke of the old church as it was in his
father's time, and of the leading men con-
nected therewith; and in reply to a question
by Capt Rutherford he said that whilst he
was not sure that there was any record of
the erection of the present building, he had
often heard his father say that the walls
were bnilt in 1740. This, in the absence of
well authenticated documentary evidence,
ought to be conclusive.

The descendants of the sturdy men and
women who worshipped thete in 1740 are



Digitized by



Google



Hittorical and Genealogical.



m



scattered everywhere, many of them proml-
ment in Church end State, and in the busi-
s*ss enterprises of the land. A little hand
•still holds the fort All these shoald unite
mad see to it that the year of grace 1890
shall witness such a celebration of the one
hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the lay-
ing of her corner stone, as shall do honor to
this mother of chntches and oldest monu-
•meat of Presbyterianism now standing in
Central Pennsylvania. w. f. b.



TUB FAMILY OF LTTI,B.

Two brothers, Nathaniel and Bphraim
Lytic, who came to Donegal, in Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania, between the rears
47St and 1 7 SO. wrote their name IAUe %
while their children Lytd, and their descend-
ants Lytle. These names seem 10 hsve the
name sound, and I find that the assessors
and scriveners spell the name differently,
but at the same time retaining the sound of
iytle.

In the year 1719, Peter Allen came from
4be north of Ireland and settled along
* 'Donegal Meeting House Run," and in
17*0 James Logan, secretary of the Land
Office, issued an order directed to
Isaac Taylor, surveyor of Chester county,
and John Cartlidge, the Indian Trader, who
lived at Coneetoga, to survey two hundred
acres of land for Mr. Allen. This farm is
•now owned in part by Mrs. James Myers,
and is situated half a mile east from Mari-
etta, and on the north side of the Marietta
and Lancaster turnpike. Here Allen had his
trading post. It was about fire miles south
•of the path used by the traders in passing
-from Philadelphia, to Conoy Indian town
aoi to Paxtang, and about one-third of a
mile from the Susquehanna, down which the
Indians came in canoes, bringing peltries and
4 urn to barter for merchandise of various
•kinds.

In the fall of 1726, the Rev. James An-
derson who had been called to take charge
of the Presbyterian congregation at Done-
•gal Spring, a month or two before purchased
Mr. Allen's farm which was entirely covered
with timber, with the exception of a few
acres of meadow land, and half a dosen acres
-of oilier land. Allen removed to the east*
era base of the highest range of the Kitta-
•tiaay mountains above Harris' Ferry, now
mamed for him Peter's mono tain. In 1719
Robert Wilkins took up three hundred acres,
in which is now embraced the upper or west-



ern half of the town of Marietta.
A few years later, he conveyed
it to his son William Wilkins,
who had been a bound or hired
servant of John Cartlidge, the In-
dian trader. He and his brother, John Wil-
kins, who resided along the Paxtang road,
about a mile west of the present village of
Springville, in Donegal township, Lancaster
county, became prominent Indian traders,
Thomas Wilkins, another son ot Robert
Wilkins, in 1719, owned the farm afterwards
sold to the Lowreys, and now owned by Col.
James Duffy's heirs. In the year 1727 the
Rev. James \nderson traded his "Allen"
farm to William Wilkins, giving him about
twenty pounds "to boot" The Rev. Ander-
son moved to the Wilkins farm and re-
sided there until his death in 1740.
William Wilkins traded principally with the
Indians, living along the Potomac, and in
the great Valley of Virginia. He evidently
married after he left the Cartlidge*, prob-
ably the daughter of one of the Galbraiths,
Sterretts or Scotts, who were large land-
holders in Donegal, into whose families Mrs.
Wilkins' children, by a second husband,
married. I may as well state here that Wil-
liam Wilkins and his wife, Janet, had three
sous, James, Robert and William, the last
two dying without issue. T^e former re*
moved to Peters township, in Cumberland
county, Pa. There may have been daughters,
but I have not been able to ascertain that
fact

In the year 1734 William Wilkins died,
and in the year following his widow, Janet,
married Nathaniel (Litle) Lttlb, who
at that time owned twenty-seven acres of
land adjoining the Wilkins tract From the
administratrix's accounts filed in the Wilkins
estate, it would seem that Lytle was em-
ployed by him, and I infer that he was em-
ployed to trade with the Indians for him, as
it was customary for the old Indian Traders
to employ men who took charge of "pack
horses" loaded with merchandise, and who
went many hundred miles to the various In-
dian towns to barter their goods for their
master.

I cannot find among the records of the
county any trace of the parentage of these
two Ljtle brothers, and I infer that they
were the pioneers of the Donegal families of
that name. Both were unmarried when they
came from the north of Ireland to A merica.
Nathaniel Lytle married Janet, the widow



Digitized by



Google



414



Historical and Genealogical.



of William Wilkins, and one of his first acta
after this marriage, was to go to the loan
office and procure a patent for the Wilkins
tract of two hundred acres, and his own, of
twenty seven acres,, which title he had made
in his own name. It seems that Mr. Wilkins
had only a warrant of survey, and had not
paid all of the purchase money, and was
probably behind with the annual "quit
rent" He also cleared about twenty acres,
and cultivated it, and probably devoted him-
self to agricultural pursuits. He died in
December, 1748, and left a widow Janet,
and the following issue :

i. Rebecca; married Joseph Howard, son
of Gordon Howard the eld Indian trader, who
took up six hundred acres of land along the
Faxtang road, abont a mile west of the pres-
ent village of Springville. Abont the year
1752 Joseph received two hundred and forty-
two acres which he sold to Christian Hershey
for a thousand pounds on August 8th, 1768.
The land is now owned by J. Hershey. one
of his descendants. Mr. Howard left Lan-
caster county in that year. A portion of the
Howard family removed to the Juniata Val-
ley and one or two of his sisters married and
went to North Carolina. Martha Howard,
sister of Joseph, married George Irwin.

w. Sarah,

Hi. Elizabeth.

it. John.

Nathaniel Lytle appointed his brother,
Ephraim Lytle, and John Buyers his execu-
tors. The latter was the son of David Buy-
ers, who died May SO, 174% and left Mary,
his wife, and sons, David and John, who
owned the farm which belonged to the late
Jonas Mum ma, adjoining the farm of the
Hon. J. D. Cameron, where he settled
in 1718. John Buyers married Bebecka
the widow of Robert Galbraith, who died in
1747, and was the son of John Galbiaith
(brother of CoL James), who died at Done-
gal Bun where the Marietta and Mount
Joy turnpike crosses the same. He left a
daughter Rebecca, who became the first wife
of CoL Ephraim Blaine, the great grand-
father of Hon. James G. Blaine. John
Buyers removed to Cumberland county, and
became an officer in the Revolutionary War.

John Lytle, being the only son, inherited
his father's plantation. James Wilkins, the
surviving son of William Wilkins, who re-
sided in Peters township, Cumberland
county, brought suit against his half brother
to recover hia share of the land. After be-






ing in litigation for a number of years,
finally, in 1770, Mr. Lytle paid Wilkin* fire
hundred and fifty pounds, who then releases!
his interest Janet, their mother, also
joined in the deed. In the year 1774, John
Lytle sold his farm to Andrew Hershey, of
Hempfield township. He applied to the
Legislatute which enacted a law enabling
Lytle to convey his farm to avoid all disputes
about the title. In the same year
John Lytle and his wife Mary
removed to Middletown, then in Paxtaag-
township, where he purchased lot No. 98,
fronting on Main street, sixty feet, where he
entered into the mercantile business, and he-
also purchased two lots, Nos. 105 and 106,
adjoining the first lot He purchased hia
goods from Randle and John Mitchell, of
Philadelphia. He seems to have remained
in Middletown a few years only, and for two
or three years was assessed in Paxtang town-
ship, when his name disappears from the
lists. What became of him during the Revo-
lutionary war I have not been able to find out
It was thought that he was the Lytle who
owned a ferry near Hunter's Fort This is
certainly an error {Joseph Lytle purchased
the ferry in 1773. In 1749 his son John
went ont as cornet with Capt John Ayree,
and James Reed, during the Whiskey Re-
bellion and was promoted to a captaincy.

Bphrajm Lytle was born in the North
of Ireland in the year 1714, and di*d upon
his mansion farm January, 1, 1776. On
January 8, 1 739, he took out a patent for
one hundred and twenty one acres of land in
Donegal township, which fell into Mount
Joy township, when it was cut off the
former. It was located along Little Chick*
ies creek, a mile east of Mount Joy borough.
In 1743 he also took ont a patent for one
hundred acres adjoining his other tract
which laid in Rapho township, and in 1768-
he took out a patent for one hundred and
seventy-nine acres in Rapho adjoining bis-
other tract He gave his Mount
Joy farm to his son Ephraim, and
his Rapho farms were divided be*
tween his sons Joseph and NatbanieL He-
died, leaving his wife, Jennet, and the fol-
lowing issue:

»'. Joteph; b. Nov. 17, 1737; married
Nancy ■ , and died October 23, 1788;.

his wife d. March 8, 1820, aged 81 years aad
3 months. He took a very active part on
the side of the patriots of tne Revolution.
In 1755-6 be represented Rapho township oo



Digitized by



Google



HUtorioal and (tmealogical.



W



the Committee of Safety end other commit-
tee*. He did not serve in the army m a sol-
dier, but rendered very valuable aid to the
cause io the capacitj of a civillian.

»'»'. Nathaniel; enlisted as a sergeant in
Capt David McQueen's company in CoL
Alex. Lowrey's battalion, and was at the
battle of Brandy wine September U, 1777.
He was killed in an engagement with the
British army io December, 1777, near Chest-
nut Hill He married Christiana ,

by whom be had bnt one child, a son named
' Joseph, who was an infant or born shortly
after he enlisted in the army. His widow
married a thriftless fellow who
either died or deserted his
wife, who then applied for a pension as the
widow of Nathaniel Lytle. Joseph, who
inherited his father's farm, married Grace
Pedan, daughter of Capt Hugh Pedan,
who lived at Big Chlckies creek, now Jonas
Garner's. They had the following issue:

1. Joeeph; b. 1807.

2. Martha; b. 1811.

3. Grace; b. 1813.

4. Elisabeth; b. 1815.

5. Samuel Scott Pedan; b. 1818. Un-
til recently he owned bis ancestor's farm
near Mount Joy, bat for some years past
has resided in Mount Joy Borough. He
married and had several children.

Hi. Martha; m. Mr. Brown and resided
in Allen township. Cumberland county.

ie. Ruth; m. Mr. Graham, and also re-
sided in Allen township, Cumberland county.

v. Jem.

vi. Rebecca.

One ot the above daughters m. a Mr. Mc-
Cracken.

vii. Prucilla.

viii. Ephraim; m. Janet , and re-

moved to the northwestern part of the State,
and had daughters, Jean and Elisabeth.

Priseilla Lytle was born in 1751 and mar-
ried William Harkness, Jr., in 1771. They
resided in Allen township, Cumberland
county, Pa., on a farm adjoining Mr. Gra-
ham and Mr. Brown, who married sisters of
Mrs. EL Mr. Harkness enlisted as an ensign
in the Revolutionary Army, and was at the
side of his btother-in-law, Nathaniel Lytle,
when he was killed at Cbestnnt Hill in De-
cember, 1777. The Hon. Charles Lytle
Lamberton, who served a dozen years or
more in the State 8enate from Clarion
county, and has filled other trusts of promi-
nence with ability and integrity, and



bis brother Robert A. Lamberton, LL. IX,
who stood at the head of the Harrisburg Bar
for a number of years, and now is the PreeU
dent of the celebrated Lehigh University *t
Sooth Bethlehem, are descendants of Pris-
eilla Lytle and William Harkness, jr. The
latter was born in the north of Ireland, Oc-
tober 1, 1739, and came to America in 1750.
Samuel Evans.



NOTES AND QUE RIBS.
Hlsterleal, Blaarapfcleal and Genealogical*

CCLX.

The First Treasurer of thb Unite*
States was Michael Hillegas, of Philadel-
phia, although if one were to believe a recent
dispatch in the newspapers, the first financial
and trustworthy servant of the United States
was Samuel Meredith. The former waa
elected by the Congress in 1775, and held the
office nntil 1789. Ot this there is no mis-
take.

» »

THE ANCESTRY OF PRESIDENT LIN-
COLN.

Although much has been written concern-
ing President Lincoln, whose life will always
prove interesting to the American citizen,
little that has been reliable has appeared re*
lating to the ancestry of that great man.
From documents in our possession, original
or copied, we have been enabled to trace this
lineage, which is herewith given :

Samuel Lincoln, of Hiogham, Massa-
chusetts, came from the city of Norwich,
England, in 1787, at the age of 18 years.
The Cushing MSS. says he was from old
Hingham, bnt from better evidence, as pre*
viousif stated, he died May 26, 1690, and
his wife Martha (Lewis) April 10, 1693.
They had ten children. From the eldest
Samuel Lincoln descended the Massachu-
setts Lin col ns of prominence.

The fourth son was MordecaiLincoln,bom
June 17, 1657, in Hingham, Mass., and died
October 13, 1727, in Scitnate, that colony.
He learned the trade of a blacksmith and es-
tablished later in life the first smelting fur-
nace in New England. He was a man of more
than ordinary enterprise and energy. He
was twice married, first to Sarah Jones,
daughter of Abraham »nd Sarah Jones, of Hull,
Mass., and their children were Mordecai*



Digitized by



Google



416



Historical and Genealogical.



jMrdham, Itoae, and Sarah. By a second
wife there were two children, Eliwabetk end
Jacob.

In the line of descent, Mordecei and
Abraham Lincoln, the eldest children ef
Mordecai, of Hull, we have traced them
from their homes in the colony of Massa-
chusetts to the Province of East Jersey, and
subsequently to the Province of Pennsyl-
vania, This we have been able to do by
wills, deeds and transfers thereof. The
younger of the twain, Abraham Lincoln,
•ame to Chester county, Penna., abont the
year 1730. He was a blacksmith by trade
and resided in Springfield township that
•county, where he died in April, 1745. At
his death his estate consisted of a tract of
land in Chester connty, and two houses in
the city of Philadelphia. The former was
Revised to his son, John Lincoln, but if he
•died then to his son Abraham Lincoln. The
latter did inherit, showing that John died
joung and unmarried. Abraham Lincoln,
the younger son, married and left two daugh-
ters, Esther, who died young, and Rebecca,
who married James Carter, a merchant of
Philadelphia.

Mordecai Lincoln, the eldest son of Mor-
decai of Hull, born in 1686, died in 1736 in
Amity township, Philadelphia, afterwards
Berks county, Pa. At the time of his
father's death in 1727 brand his brother Abra-
ham wereiesidentsof now Monmouth county,
Cast Jersey. Here he first married Hannah
Baiter, daughter of Cap! Richard Salter,
and his wife, Sarah Bowne, of that locality.
She died there in 1717. Tn«y had four
children, the eldest of whoir , John Lincoln,
we shall rpeak of presently. Mordecai Lin-
coln married a second time, and his wife
with ber five children survived him. After
remaining some time a widow she married
Boger Rogers. Of her children Moidecai
Lincoln removed to Union township, Fayette
county, Penn a, when he died in 1812. Most
of his children settled in the Valley of Vir-
ginia. Thomas Lincoln, a younger brother,
jived and died in Exeter township, Berks
county, i M his children Miithael Lincoln bettled
in the Buffalo Valley, where Home of his de-
ascendants yet reside ; Hananiah Lincoln served
with distinction a* a lieutenant in the Twelfth
Aegiment of the Pennsylvania Line in the
devolution, and afterwards went to Daniel
Boone's settlement in Kentucky. Sarah
Xincoln married Joshua l>avis, of the Jn-
miata Valley, where their descendants now



Abraham Lincoln, the youngest son
of Mordecai Lincoln, of Amity township,
Berks county, was a posthumous child. He
became a man of mark in the history of
Berks connty, was a delegate to the Penn-
sylvania Convention to ratify the Federal
Constitution of 1787, member of the Penn-
sylvania Constitutional Convention of 1789-
90, sub-lieutenant of the connty in the Revo-
lution, and filled other offices of honor and
distinction. He died in 1 806 in his 70th year,
He married Anne Boone, a cousin of Daniel
Boone, of Kentucky. The Boones were near
neighbors, and were Quakers. TheLincolns
were not Quakers, as has been stated by the
biographers of President Lincoln, for it ap-
pears by tbe records of the Exeter monthly
meeting that on the 27th of October, 1761,
Anne Lincoln, formerly Anne Boone, "con-
dones her marriage for marrying one not a
member of the Society." Both he and his
wife are buried at Exeter. They had nine
children, and it is from them the present
family of Linoolns, of Berks county, are de-
scended.

John Lincoln, son of Mordecai Lincoln,
of Amity township, was born in East Jersey.
Although his father deeded him a tract of
land at Mtachaponix in Jersey, it ia prob-
able he removed to Pennsylvania abont the
time of his father's death in 1736, to what
was then Caernarvon township, Lancaster
county, but subsequently in Berks county.
About the year 1760 he emigrated to Vir-
ginia, locating in Augusta, now Rocking*
ham county, where he died. His will which
was on file at Harrisonburg cannot be found,
owing to the fact that many of the papers of
the office of probate there were destroyed by
fire. Of his children we have that of Abra-
ham Lincoln.

This Abraham Lincoln, born in Rocking-
ham county, Virginia, removed early in life
to North Carolina, where he married. We
are not prepared to give the maiden name of
his wife. Tradition is here at fault, In
1780, however, accompanied by his brother
Thomas, he removed with his family to Bear
Grass Fort, Kentucky, near where the city
of Louisville now stands. Of his subsequent
career and his death at the hands of a red sav-
age in the spring of 1 784, his numerous biogra-
phers have made all familiar. He left five
children : Mordecai, who late in life removed
to Hancock county, Illinois; Jusiah, settled
in Harrison county, Indiana; Mary, who
married Ralph Crume; Nancy married



Digitized by



Google



•Historical and Genealogical.



417



William Brumfleld, and Thomas the father
of President Lincoln.

Thomas Lincoln, born in 1778, in North
Carolina, died in 1851, in Macon county,
Illinois. The President's biographers give
!»rhaps a fair estimate of Thomas L ; ncoln,
and we will not rtfer to it here. He was
iwice married. His first wife, the President's
mother, was Nancy Hantts, or Hanker,
-daughter of Joseph <ind Lacy Hanks, or



Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 59 of 81)