France) Société asiatique (Paris.

Notes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 online

. (page 9 of 81)
Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 9 of 81)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tend only to depopulate that country."

He gives the following cost of a pass-
age :— Every person above 10 years of
age, from Rotterdam to Philadelphia, 60
florins of Holland, or 63 livres of France.
From 5 to 10, J passage or 80 florins. •
Below 5 years the children pay nothing,
but they pay enough for this passage
gratis, as the bad nurture they get costs-
the life of the greater number.

Steuben Jenkins.

PBEBBYT£RY OF OAfiUSLB.

The first meeting of the reunited Pres-
bytery of Carlisle was held beyond its
own bounds, in the town of the Beauti «
ful Fount (Bellefonte), where the new
Synod of Harrisburg had been directed
by the reunited General Assembly to-
meet and organize. As the General As-



Digitized by



Google



48



Historical and Genealogical.



sembly defined the bounds of the Synod,
bo it, in tarn, defined the bounds of the
several Presbyteries composing it, and
appointed the time and place of their
first meeting. Its action concerning the
Presbytery of Carlisle reads:

"Re$otoed, That the Presbytery of Car-
lisle shall consist of all the ministers and
churches within the territorial limits of
the counties of Dauphin, Perry, Cumber-
land, Adams, Franklin and Fulton, to
meet immediately on the adjournment of
this Synod in the Presbyterian church of
Belletonte; and the said Presbytery of
Carlisle is hereby declared to be the legal
successor of the late Presbyteries of Car-
lisle and Harrisburg.andassuch is entitled
to the possession and enjoyment of all
the rights and privileges, and liable to
the performance ot all the duties of these
Presbyteries."

The season of the year and the distance
from the homes of mcst members occa*
sioned the meeting to be small . But little
business was transacted beyond organize
ing, arranging time and place of holding
the stated meeting in the fall and appoint-
ing a committee to arrange and then re*
port the various standing committees of
Presbytery.

Elsewhere it has been stated that none
of those who, thirty years before, had
left the Presbytery of Carlisle to go in to the
Presbytery of Harrisburg, were spared to
witness the "good and pleasant" sight
of brethren, hitherto separated, meeting
again and henceforth "dwelling together
in unity." To only four of the much
larger number who at that time remained
in the Presbytery of Carlisle (taking the
roll of 1839) was accorded this privilege,
viz: Revs. Robert M'Cachran, Thomas
Creigh, D. D., James Harper, D. D., and
Alexander E. Nelson. Five others were
still living, but not within the bounds of
the Presbytery, viz: Matthew B. Patter-
son, James C. Watson, D. D., Henry R.
Wilson, jr., D. D., N. Grier White and
Alexander T. M'Gill, D. D., LL. D.
Mr. White and Dr. M'Gill are the only
two of the roll oi 1839 who now purvive.
Rev. Frederick A. Shearer, D.D., then
on the roll as a licentiate, still lives,
and is engaged in the active duties of the
ministery at Dexter, Iowa.



Placed in the order of ordination the
fo lowing Is the
Bolt of the Reunite* P r — byf ry of 1870 t

Robert M'Cachran, Thomas Creigh, D.
D., Samuel B. Smith, James Harper, D.
D., Conway P. Wing, D. D., Joseph
Mahon, Alexander K Nelson, James J.
Hamilton, Joseph A. Murray, D. D..
Robert M'Pherson, O. H. Miller, J. Ag-
ue w Crawford, D. D., Addison E.
Strong, D. D., David C. Meeker, J. G.
Downing, Ebenezer Brskine, D. D.,
James F. Kennedy, D. D., Andrew D.
Mitchell Isaac N. Hayes, D. D., Ed-
win Emerson, Wm. A. West, Thomas H.
Robinson, D. D., Wm. B. Craig, J.
Smith Gordon, James S. Wood burn, J.
W. Wightman, David E. Richardson,
George Norcross, D. D., Henry L. Rex,
Wm. 8. VanCleve, Samuel W. Reigart,
Stephen W. Pomeroy, Charles A. Wyeth
and G. W. Seiler.

From the first, and so on to the pres-
ent, the brethren thus associated in Pres-
byterial relation have lived and labored
together in the most complete harmony,
without any distinction as to their previ-
ous relations. Shortly after the reunion
Of the two branches of the Church, Dr.
Samuel Miller penned these words: "It is
well that the terms Old and New School
should speedily die away from the cur-
rent language of the Presbyterians. It
is a pleasure to be able to say after this
short lapse of time that they have died
away and now live only in history. Here
they must live of necessity. It is well.
They carry with them their lessons, which
may not fail of permanent blessing to the
Church and glory to her Head.' The
terms Old and New School have actually
disappeared from our midst. But it has
fallen to our lot to be compelled to deal
with them very freely in the work laid
upon us in endeavoring to sketch the his-
tory of the Presbytery, for, alike in the
rending of the Church and in the healing
of the breach, it played no unimportant
part. In doing so, it has been our aim to
preserve a mind free from prejudice and
to be true to history. We rejoice that
the terms Old and New School do now
live only in history, and that the Presby-
terian Church, as far as it relates to these
two branches, is "one, and," we trust
ever to remain, • •indivisible." May the



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



49



history of this period not fail to impress
upon ns the lesson, that whilst contend
ing "earnestly for the faith once deliv-
-ered to the saints," we should ever cher-
ish and manifest that charity which "re-
Joiceth in the truth, beareth all things,
believeth all things, hopeth all things,
endareth all things, never faileth."

Less has been done by the Presbytery
since the reunion in the way of occupy-
ing new ground and organizing new
churches than in any other period of
equal length in its history. Harrisburg,
Westminster, in 1878, and Steelton, First,
in 1885, are the only two churches that
have been organized. Most of the terri-
tory in which it hod previously been do
ing its aggressive work was cut off by
the new boundaries established at the
time of the reunion. About five years
ago the attention of Presbytery was
called "to the region of country lying
along the border of Adams and Franklin
counties and near the Caledonia
Springs," and a committee was appointed
to inquire into the spiritual condition
end needs of the people. The report of
that committee, made at the October
meeting. 1881, sets forth a principle
which Presbytery recognizes as sound
*nd which prevents it undertaking much
new work in long settled rural districts.

The time was when the Presbyterian
Church, we think, might and should have
•occupied the ground. Other churches
hold it now. We insert part of the re-
port of the committee. "We inquired
among the people of tLeir spiritual priv-
ileges, and were informed that they
have had the Gospel preached to them
regularly once in two weeks for eleven
years. They have also two Sunday
school organizations in the settlement.
They have no church edifice. Preaching
services and Sunday school ere held in
school houses. A church building is
.greatly needed and desired by this peo-
ple. But in the judgment of your com-
mute the field ie preoccupied. There is
no Presbyterian element there. For
Presbytery, therefore, to enter this field
would: ba to interfere with the work
already begun and have the appearance
of denominational opposition, which, we
think, the Presbytery does not desire.
In view of these facts your committee



recommend that no further action be
taken."

The unanimity with which Presbytery
adopted the report testified to its belief in
not attempting work on clearly preoceu*
pied ground. It is unquestionably a
sound principle, and should be put in
practice by all denominations. Thereby
would be afforded one of the clearest
demonstrations of the practical unity of
the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, snd
there would be a saving of men and
means that might be employed to ad van •
tage in really destitute parts of the land.
Tho whole subject just now demands
earnest consideration at the hands of the
Boards of Home Missions and Church
Erection of the various evangelical de-
nominations. Upon it Japan, just awak-
ening from the night of heathenism, occus
pies a position in advance of Christian
America, viz: where the ground is already
occupied by one Christian denomination,
let no other come in until there is room
and need for another.

But in our large towns and industrial
centers of population there is unques-
tionably a demand that our Church
should keep pace with the growth of

emulation, as it has not hitherto done,
ere are crying destitutions and
here may be established centers of
influence for good. To meet such desti-
tutions several of our churches have es*
tablished or are about to establish mis-
sions in connection with their own or-
Sanizations. Thus Central church,
lhambersburg, has its chapel and its mis-
sion among the new population near the
Taylor works; Pine Street church, Har-
risbbrg, has its chapel and mission on
Eleventh street, near Heir, to meet the
wants of the 8ibletown district of the
city, and Market Square church, Harris-
burg, has its mission near the Lochiel iron
works.

During this period no little thought
and attention have been bestowed on the
feeble and discouraged congregations.
In too many instances they have been
dependent on and content with the occa-
sional supplies appointed by Presbytery.
In other instances, pastorates have been
formed by the Help of the Board of
Home Missions, which, owing to inade-
quacy of support, were of short duration.



Digitized by



Google



50



Historical and Genealogical.



When the original sustentation scheme
was introduced, Presbytery was very
greatly in sympathy with it, and thought
it saw in it a remedy for many of these
troubles by the competent support that
would be guaranteed to pastors under it.
But for various reasons, this scheme was
not permitted to be a success in its dis-
tinct and independent character, and was
made a department or a dependent of the
Board of Home Missions. Presbytery,
in several instances, attempted to estab-
lish pastorates under it in this connection,
but without success. The prescribed
conditions with which it was encumbered
virtually laid sustentation on the shelf for
the whole Church. What Synod ical sus-
tentation, just now going into effect, may
have in store for us, remains to be seen.

During these years Presbytery has not
failed to keep pace with the demand of
the times in regard to the great social and
moral questions which affect alike the in-
terests of the Church, the community
and the home. In clear and unmistaka-
ble terms has it spoken in regard to hold
ing and keeping God's holy day sacred.
It is true, little appears thereby to have
been accomplished, beyond hearing testi-
mony for the right; for, Sabbath desecra-
tion has gone on, waxing greater and
greater. But the Church's testimony,
even if it fail of producing immediate re-
sults, is important. It is not lost. Let
there be reiteration with ever growing
emphasis. Reaction may some day come,
and the American Sabbath may yet be
preserved. Railroad and iron manu-
facturing corporations are the great cor-
rupters of public morals on this question.

It is refreshing to know that in our
bounds there is at least one railroad pres*
ident and iron manufacturer who has
wielded his pen in behalf of the Lord's
day in the production of an able pam-
phlet on the subject, and that there are
many other iron men who do regard the
Sabbath as sacred unto the Lord*

Presbytery also used its influence to
secure the passage by our State Legisla*
tare of a marriage license law, such as
to afford protection to ministers, to pa-
rents and to contracting parties them-
selves. The existing law may not be wholly

•Col. Wlertling, of Mont Alto, Pa.



free from objectionable features. These
can, and, no doubt, will be remedied.
Good cannot but result from the opera*
tion of this law to homes and to society.
Upon another question, di imetrically
the opposite of the last, yet bearing to it
the most intimate relation, its voice has
been raised. We refer to divorce.
Under existing laws in our State, divorce
may be obtained on not less than a dozen
grounds. Great and growing evils are
arising from this in families and com-
munity. Presbytery has not assumed
any new attitude on the subjeet; but, im

Creased with the evils arisiog from exist*
lg laws, and adhering firmly to the doc-
trines of our standard, it has earnestly
asked the Legislature of the State to en-
act a law which will make the procuring
of divorce possible on two grounds only
—adultery and desertion such as cannot
be remedied.

We here gladly note its attitude and
record some of its utterances on another
socio moral question, which is before the
Church and society to stay and triumph,
we believe—the temperance question.
The Church at large and this Presbytery
have always been right on this question,
wnatever unreasonable and fanatical men
and women may have said to the con-
trary. But it is alone with the period
since the reunion we now have to do.
A very clear and strong paper, adopted
April 15th, 1874, concludes with these
words: "Believing that ia temperance is
not only a bitter curse to man and a foe
to his dearest interests in this life and in
the life to come, but a great sin against
God and a mighty obstruction to the pro-
gress of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus
Christ in the world, we earnestly invoke
all our ministers and elders aud church
members to bring the whole weight of
their influence against it, in the regula-
tion of their own family customs, in a sed-
ulous care for the purity of the Church
from all complicity with the evil, in the
careful instruction of our youth in the
Sabbath schools, and by such public ef-
forts throughout the communities as shall
at once and forever give to religion its
true position of irreconei'able oppoeition
to a vice and a sin so enormous in its
mischiefs and so disgraceful to the
Christian name."



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



SI



The "lore of filthy lucre, " or the lack of
moral fortitude which enables a man to
say "no," sometimes leads men, even
wearing the Christian name, to lose
sight of what they owe to God, the
Church, humanity, themselves.

80 it proved in one of the churches un-
der our care, whose session addressed a
"letter of inquiry" to Presbytery (April,
1881), as to what should be done with
such. This called forth the following
answer, which the stated clerk was in«
structed to have printed in circular form
and sent to all pastors and sessions of
churches: "In the judgment of this Pres-
bytery, signing applications for license,
becoming bondsmen for those engaged in
the liquor traffic and keeping hotels where
intoxicating drinks are sold, and all com-
plicity with the business of keeping tip-
pling- houses, is inconsistent with our
high vocation as followers of the Lord
Jesus Christ Accordingly, the sessions
of the churches under our care are hereby
advised to deal with such offenders. And
we also enjoin on all the members of our
churches a steadfast and conscientious
opposition to intemperance in all its
forms. We cannot keep ourselves 'un»
spotted from the world' if we, in any
way, become responsible for the business
of making drunkards in the land. We
must take heed that the blood of souls be
not found on our skirts "

And, as showing that it kept fully
abreast with the ever advancing temper
ance sentiment, when in session at New*,
ville, April, 1888, and a bill was up tor
final passage in the State Legislature to
submit the question of prohibitory amend-
ment of the Constitution to a vote of
the people, Presbytery with entire unan-
imity adopted the following resolution,
and entrusted it to one of its lay members
to be taken directly to Harrisburg: "Re
solved, That the Presbytery of Carlisle,
covering six counties of the State, and
composed of forty-five ministers and
forty-seven churches— embracing 6,390
communicants, expresses to the Legislan
ture its earnest wish that the Prohibition
amendment be submitted to the vote of
the people." What the Legislature of
that year failed to do has been done by
the Legislature ot 1886-1887.

Up to the year 1886 the Presbytery of



Carlisle, and before it the Presbytery of
Donegal, had lived a secure, though not
always quiet and peaceable, life without
being a "body corporate." In the cen-
tennial year of its own proper existence,
however, a charter was procured from
the court ot Cumberland county. There
were certain questions of property that
made this especially desirable.

A gradual though not very marked
growth in giving to the work of the
Lord has characterized this period. It is
true that the year 1886 has been termed
the "banner year." Its reports show
$121,864 to have been given for all relig-
ious purposes by the churches of the
Presbytery. But it must be kept in
mind that much of this was expended in
building and repairing churches, and
that the giving to strictly benevolent ob-
jects was not much in excess of that of
previous years. We give the net gain
lrom the time of the reunion: Communi-
cant membership, 1,890; Sunday school
membership, 8,389; dome Missions, $4,-
447; Foreign Missions, $4,117; Church
Erection, $909; Ministerial Relief, $316;
Freedmon, $379; Congregational, $62,-
240; miscellaneous, $2,901. To this must
be added Sustentation, $248, and Aid for
Colleges. &c ,$515 (objects not named in
1870), whilst there was a falling off ot
$1,097 for Education, and $430 tor Publi-
cation. It will be noticed from the
above that the principal advance made
in giving is in favor of the two great
causes of Home and Foreign Missions.
This is to be attributed largely, if not
mainly, to what has been undertaken
and accomplished by the women of the
Presbytery.

In the spring of 1872, Presbytery
adopted a resolution which shows its ap~
preciation of the importance of "Wo-
man's work." It reads: "Resolved, That
this Presbytery express their apprecia-
tion of this movement ("woman's
work for woman), and recommend that
auxiliary societies, bands and circles be
formed in all our churches and Sabbath
schools." Five years after this (March
17th, 1877),a meeting of the ladies of the
Presbytery was held in the First church,
Carlisle, and "The Woman's Foreign
Missionary Society of the Presbytery of
Carlisle" was organised. It was with



Digitized by



Google



69



Historical and Genealogical.



unfeigned fear and trepidation that they
enteied upon the wotk. They could
scarcely see their war clear to pledge
$400— the salary of Mr. Eddy— as the
amount to be raised the first year. But
they did it. Now their annual contribu-
tions amount to $4,000.

From this we turn for a moment to its
twin organization — Woman's Presby-
terial Home Mission Bociety. Are they
not twins ? Nay, are they not one, save
in the fields of their operation ? And, to
press the question further, are they not
one in this too; for has not the every-
where present Master, whose are all
souls, said: "The field if the world?" In
April, 1880, Presbytery appointed a Wo
man's Presbyterial Committee on Home
Missions. This committee reported to
Presbytery one year later that they had
raised and paid out as follows: Mrs.
Park's salary, $300, and $240 59 which
had been distributed to different points
in Kansas, Dakota and Alaska; and that
boxes to the value of $493 58 had been
contributed— making a total of $1,034 17.
That year (1881) the committee organ*
ized regularly into the Woman's Home
Missionary Society of the Presbytery.

Next spring they reported as the re*
suit of their year's work, from twenty
churches, $1,612 in money and $1,541 in
boxes— total, $3,153. In faith and pa«
tience they have gone steadily forward
in their work till in 1886 their report for
the year foots up, from thirty* three
churches and twenty-eight boards, in
money, $4,000, and in boxes, $1,500,
making a total of $5,500. Five hundred
of the four thousand dollars in money
were contributed and applied to the
cause of Freedmen.

As a matter of interest, instruction,
encouragement we here give the progress
made in giving to these two great causes
(Home and Foreign Missions) from the
time of the division. Just after this the
Foreign Board came into existeoce. The
first report was made in 1839. We note
what was given every tenth year, except
the last:

Home Mis- Foreign Mis-

1830 siona. $310; alone. S5SS

1S40 " 570; " 1,66 J

M60 " 1,017; •• 2,030

If 6* •» 2,880; " 3,218

1870 " 5,419; •• 7,004

1886 " 9,477; *» 0,120



The interest of Presbytery in the wort
of the Master beyond its own bounds,
has been manifested not alone by the
gifts of money to help it forward; but by
the gift of men and women, as well
These have even been found among the
pioneers of the Church in our own land
from the days of M'Millan down.

Nor has it turned a deaf ear to the call
wafted from lands beyond the seas:
"Come over and help us." But in re-
sponse there have gone of its sons and
daughters the following, whose names
we have. Others may have gone whose
names we have not. The figures indicate
the term of service in the field ; * indi-
cates that they died in the service of the
Board; the blank after the dash indicates-
that they are still in the field:

Iadla.
Rev. Henry R. Wilson, jr.,

D. D, 1838-1846.

♦Mrs. Henry R. Wilson .... 1838—1846,
*Rev. David B.Campbell.. 1850-1857.
Mrs. Rev. R. S.Fullerton. . 1850-1866.
Rev. Elliott R. Williams.. . . 1852-1861.
Rev. Alexander P. Kelso. . . I860—.

Rev. Galen W. Seiler 1870 - .

Mrs. Rev. E. P. Newton. . . 1874—.

China.

Rev. M. Simpson Culbertson 1844—1862-
Rev. Calvin W.Mateer, D.D 1864—.

Rev. John R. Wherry 1864—.

Mrs. J R. Wherry 1864-.

Rev. Robert M. Mateer..... 1881—.

Rev. J. Hood Laughlin 1881—.

Liberia.

Rev. David A . Wilson 1850-1858.

Mrs. D. A. Wilson 1850-1858,

Brtsll.
♦Rev. Ashbel G. Simonton. 1850—1867.

♦Mrs. A. L. Blackford 1860—1876.

Japan.

♦Rev. Oliver M. Green 1873-1883.

AnnieB. West 1883—.

Syria.
R. H. West (Prof, in Syrian

Protestant College) 1883—.

Perhaps there never was a time in their
history when the churches of the Pres-
bytery were better msnned and equipped
for efficient work than the present. By
the blessing of God upon the well-dN
rected labors of our Presbyterial Mis-



Digitized by



Google



Historical and Genealogical.



68



Bionary very many of the churches that
had long been vacant are now provided
with pastors; and there is reason to trust
that the few remaining vacancies will
be supplied. ( These lines are penned in
July, 1887.)

With this preparation what we now
most need, is the descent of the Fire —
the baptism of the Holy Spirit May He
come in His plenitude and power.

A hundred years hence 1 Will the
Master have come? If not, what will
the "Spirit say to the churches?"

NOTES ANd"qUBKI1B8.
Historical, Biographical and Genealogical.

CLVI.

Methodist Centennial in Centre
County — The Methodists of Centre
county on Sunday, July 10th t celt b rated
the one hundredth anniversary of the es-
tablishment ot Methodism within the
borders of that county. The addresses
were delivered by Bishop Andrews, Gover-
nor Beaver and Hon. John Blair Linn.
The historical address by the latter
gentleman, is one of the best centenary
discourses we have ever read, and should
not hesitate to publ'sh it in full, had it
not been decided to reprint it in perma-
nent form, which it well deserves. The
address exhibits that careful research for
which the author is so well distinguished
as a historian, and is one of the most
valuable of recent contributions to Penn-
sylvania history. Above all, the dry de-
tails are enhanced by beautiful thoughts
and eloquent expressions.

An Ancient Burial Place.— Two or
three years ago one of our local contem-
poraries contained the statement, that
several hunters came across a deserted
burying ground or graveyard, located on
a slight eminence in a pasture field about
one and one- half miles northeast of
Oyster's dam, on the Conedoguinet,
and about the same distance from the
mountain. There was not a vestige of
fencing or wall to be seen around this
ancient burial place, which contained
about twenty graves, all, or nearly all,
of which were covered with long slabs
of stone evidently quarried in the



vicinity. There were a number of
the slabs engraved, but the wotk of the



Online LibraryFrance) Société asiatique (ParisNotes and queries: Chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania, Volume 2 → online text (page 9 of 81)